Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 3, 2011
Generally favorable reviews based on 1186 Ratings
1,000
Watch Now
dharmaJun 8, 2012
2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season.2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season. After the abysmal X Men Origins: Wolverine, I thought that the X-Men franchise was gone for good. With a strong and younger cast, a lot of energy, great set pieces and above all, a lot of heart and soul, X Men First Class became one of the best film of the year. Expand
StevenFFeb 9, 2013
This was a surprisingly excellent film, when you hear the term 'reboot' or 'prequel', there isnt much of a rapturous applause, but First Class felt like wondrous step in the right direction.
Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik
Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik Lensherr later known as Magneto, who witnesses the death of his mother after Dr Klaus Schmidt/Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) is aware of Lensherr's mutant capabilities.
A long way away from Lensherr's woes in a concentration camp, we see a child Charles Xavier, later Professor X getting acquainted with a young Raven Darkholme, who you may no better as the blue shape-shifter Mistique.
Fast-forward to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, we see Xavier (James McAvoy) far from how we know him, a womanising Oxford graduate who is smooth-talking and charming, tagging along behind him is Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence).
Meanwhile, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) is killing his way through those who tortured him in the past, running into his soon-to-be friend Xavier.
Thus sets off quite a retro yet whirlwind of entertainment with an ensemble cast including Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, January Jones and uncredited yet brilliantly simple and hilarious cameo from a familiar mutant.
What was most interesting about First Class was its uniqueness from it trilogy counterpart, it didn't feel similar to them at all, and this was good, its creating its own path, and what an enjoyable path it was. Groundbreaking special effects, particularly a scene of Magneto lifting a submarine out of the water with his manipulation ability of metal.
Personally, it was the excellently scripted film that was of particular enjoyment, the large ensemble cast feels fresh, and the film isnt afraid to take risks, big egos, big music and large set pieces have set up what could be a very successful and enjoyable chapter in the large world of X-Men.
The performances of the two leads in McAvoy and Fassbender are fantastically unique, filling big shoes from Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, they superbly bring their own youth and charisma to the roles, while maintaining the strained relationship that these two mutant heavyweights share.
Absolutely brilliant and well-thought prequel to a successful franchise, let it continue.
imthenoobJan 24, 2012
I am suprised critics hated this film. This film explained a ton of backstory to the franchise and it explained it in a way where even die hard fans would be satisfied with it. The acting was good. Kevin Bacon was an amazing villian,I am suprised critics hated this film. This film explained a ton of backstory to the franchise and it explained it in a way where even die hard fans would be satisfied with it. The acting was good. Kevin Bacon was an amazing villian, Fassbender stole the show as Magneto, and McAvoy was solid as Xavier but I thought someone else could have played the role better. The plot is good and as I said explains a lot of backstory to the entire Xmen franchise. I loved it. Expand
JuanoloMar 26, 2012
X men first class is a blast. For sure best xmen yet. Great visuals. It looks so great. Acting and score is good. James M. and micheal Fass. does a very good job. Story is great as it progresses. I would give it a 9.25, but overall I guess aX men first class is a blast. For sure best xmen yet. Great visuals. It looks so great. Acting and score is good. James M. and micheal Fass. does a very good job. Story is great as it progresses. I would give it a 9.25, but overall I guess a 9 out of 10. Expand
MrFilmReviewerApr 10, 2012
Just saw X-Men First Class and wrote this. Hopefully you can read it. http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/04/x-men-first-class.html Hopefully, you'll like it as well. It was very well made and it's my favorite of the franchise (as of now)
RangerGxiMay 24, 2012
*Not a comic guy

*Not a comic guy

This movie was excellent. I enjoyed the focus on character development and the various themes throughout the movie such as accepting yourself. The characters each had their own unique personalities, each with their own flaws and qualities. This alongside their interactions all makes them great characters makes them easy to sympathize with. The movie can be classed as an action movie but the action was not the main attraction in my view. It was characters and their relationships with eachother and society that define this movie and make it a quality movie experience.
Tall_But_ShortAug 4, 2012
After two disappointing X-Men movies, this superhero franchise is finally back and better than ever! The only problem this movie has is that is "over-cheesy" at some points. Overall, though, it was a fantastic and fun ride and maybe the bestAfter two disappointing X-Men movies, this superhero franchise is finally back and better than ever! The only problem this movie has is that is "over-cheesy" at some points. Overall, though, it was a fantastic and fun ride and maybe the best X-Men movie to date. Expand
PulseEnderJan 29, 2013
X-Men: First Class is the first movie in the X-Men timeline. It is set during the Cold War and does a brilliant job of describing the issues of pride and prejudice. Plot: Eric (Micheal Fassbender) is a Jewish boy who watches his mother getX-Men: First Class is the first movie in the X-Men timeline. It is set during the Cold War and does a brilliant job of describing the issues of pride and prejudice. Plot: Eric (Micheal Fassbender) is a Jewish boy who watches his mother get abducted during the Holocaust. His anger leads him to use his mutation to control metal. After Shaw (Kevin Bacon) kills his mother, he vows to avenge her. At the same time, Charles (James Mcavoy) who has a mutation that allows him to manipulate the minds of others, meets Raven (Jenifer Lawerence) who has the ability to shape shift and is insecure about her looks. As Shaw and his group of mutants attempt to start WW3 so that nukes will mutate the world, Charles and Eric meet up and recruit other mutants who they train in an attempt to save the world from another world war. My opinion: A very well done masterpiece that shows the true origins of the X-Men. This movie address current problems such as the unbalance of warfare, and insecurities we feel and how we react to those who make us feel such. I reccommend this to anybody who wants to get interested in the X-Men, anyone who has seen the X-Men trilogy, and to those who are interested in conspiracy surrounding the Cold War. Expand
SwatiJun 12, 2013
Definitely better made than the previous films in the franchise. What bothered me, however, were the vast majority of previously unused mutants picked for the film. I think they should have stuck with the stories of the main characters. TheDefinitely better made than the previous films in the franchise. What bothered me, however, were the vast majority of previously unused mutants picked for the film. I think they should have stuck with the stories of the main characters. The CIA agent laying her burden on Xavier was very convenient, and there was no need for the romance angle. Mystique and Beast should have been explored more. In the absence of Wolverine, the more physical mutants seemed to be clearly lacking. But the downward spiral is really reversed by the focus on Magneto and Professor X, which was the strongest point about the film. Expand
worleyjamersDec 6, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent, I loved it. I was expecting something more like Wolverine, but this was a fantastic movie. Not only a brilliant addition to the X-Men series, but it's the best of the series!

The reason I say that this is the best of the series is because it delivers in more areas than the previous films did...First Class is very deep. For once I felt for the characters, I actually cared about what happened to them and how they interacted with each other. Credit must go to the cast because their performances contributed to this, especially James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. McAvoy gives a great performance as Professor X, and Fassbender is incredible as Magneto. (You will see Erik/Magneto in a whole new light). My favorite scene in the entire film is actually not an action scene, but the highly emotional diologue between McAvoy and Fassbender with moving the satelitte...also the end of the final action scene. Those two scenes alone add SO much to the film and trilogy. I can't explain it all, but this is truly a great addition to the series.

And...of course the action was awesome! The visuals were excellent and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I love action movie blockbusters and First Class delivered.

I cannot recommend this film enough! It's my favorite of the year so far. Action + Drama = X-Men First Class = Great Film!
ninja_dolphinFeb 7, 2013
Definitely the best X-men film with fantastic action and amazing characters. All the actors in this movie nail their parts and the script wasn't as cheesy as the previous films and the side-characters were more likable. And finally the cameoDefinitely the best X-men film with fantastic action and amazing characters. All the actors in this movie nail their parts and the script wasn't as cheesy as the previous films and the side-characters were more likable. And finally the cameo by Hugh Jackman as wolverine in this movie is amazing, It had me laughing for the rest of the movie. Expand
TrilobiteGJul 21, 2015
I did not like superhero's before 2011. In fact, I didn't even give a **** about batman. This Movie got me to like Marvel and DC. This movie is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! THE FUN TO BE HAD IN THIS MOVIE IS SO UNBELIEVABLY LARGE I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.I did not like superhero's before 2011. In fact, I didn't even give a **** about batman. This Movie got me to like Marvel and DC. This movie is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! THE FUN TO BE HAD IN THIS MOVIE IS SO UNBELIEVABLY LARGE I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. The transformation of Magneto was so beautifully and tragically done (tying in with xavier bullet scene). The relationship between mystique and beast that was so tragically torn away makes you care for these mutants. It had heart, I wanted to read a diary entry on their thoughts and feelings I was so interested. Easily, the best part of this movie is the finding and training of the mutants because If, like me, you thought superhero's were all gifted people with smug and completely emotionless personalities, the fact that you could see their struggle opened my eyes to a whole panorama of different characters and I instantly became a Geek. This movie morphed me into a Geek, and for that I am great-full. Expand
BrianMcCriticJun 2, 2013
Personally my favorite X-Men movie mainly because unlike most of the other X-Men movies this film has strong character development especially with Xavier and Magneto.
HISHEhebJul 8, 2014
סרט מאוד יפה, מספר ממש יפה את הסיפורים של אקסבייר ומגניטו. שחקנים מצוינים שעשו את זה אפילו יותר טוב מהקודמים. סרט האקס מן הכי טוב עד שיצא אקס-מן העתיד שהיהסרט מאוד יפה, מספר ממש יפה את הסיפורים של אקסבייר ומגניטו. שחקנים מצוינים שעשו את זה אפילו יותר טוב מהקודמים. סרט האקס מן הכי טוב עד שיצא אקס-מן העתיד שהיה
lordmoo_23Sep 23, 2014
This was a very pleasant surprise. After the infamous X3 and X-Men Origins, the X-Men franchise was slowly crumbling. One good movie could rejuvenate the franchise; instead we got a fantastic movie. The acting stood out, especially MichaelThis was a very pleasant surprise. After the infamous X3 and X-Men Origins, the X-Men franchise was slowly crumbling. One good movie could rejuvenate the franchise; instead we got a fantastic movie. The acting stood out, especially Michael Fassbender's performance as a young Magneto. I was immediately invested in the story and captivated by the progression of Magneto's character. I thought this was done very well. X-Men: First Class is not your typical summer blockbuster; it's got more layers to it. For one, the script is witty and effective. I found myself on the edge of my seat just waiting for the very well written dialogue. Another merit this film carries is the amazing soundtrack composed by Henry Jackman. It was evident that Hans Zimmer had his fingerprints all over it, for the music sounded similar to Inception, which is never a bad thing. Watching all my favorite X-Men characters when they were young was really cool, and just makes this film all the more special to me. I would rank this film among the greatest superhero/comic book movies ever made. Expand
SeanVincentJun 4, 2016
This movie is the best of the franchise better than the sequel but still a great film,Days Of Future Past and a much better than the disappointing Apocalypse.X-Men First Class shines with it's characters especially Magneto which is the mostThis movie is the best of the franchise better than the sequel but still a great film,Days Of Future Past and a much better than the disappointing Apocalypse.X-Men First Class shines with it's characters especially Magneto which is the most interesting character of the film besides that the other mutants in the film are well interpret and well portrayed by the actors.The film The villain is compelling and played by a great actor Kevin Bacon,he brought charm of his characters and he is compelling as a villain,the other villains are also good.We have decent character developments here unlike Apocalypse,which I have emotional connection and give a damn or root for about the characters James McAvoy is just great as Charles Xavier,I'm just gonna leave it there.The performances here are just fantastic.

The plot might be stupid but at least it's simple to follow but not shallow,The film is deeper than your mom's va--- I mean it's deep on it's message,that mutants must be accepted ,but not too preachy. the actions are creative,It shows the variety of the mutant's powers that I think the original trilogy lacks,In my opinion.And also Bryan Singer stop with this black leather,the costumes Bryan singer's X-Men Movies are poor and and lack of color,This film didn't make the yellow suit goofy but it gives color to the X-Men franchise.

Overall the film is fun and not empty,it gives us compelling and enduring characters,good but forgettable villain and emotional connection and fun to the X-Men Franchise.That's why I love this film as a whole and I will say It's the best X-Men Movie next is DOFP then X2 of course x1 is next then both Apocalypse and Last Stand are in the same spot(Not including Deadpool nor that scrappy Origins) .Mathew Vaughn gave this film a new kind of direction and style while Bryan Singer's style is tiresome.
homer4presidentMar 16, 2015
After a great first movie, an even better sequel, a disappointing third film, and a completely unnecessary origin story, the X-Men's return is in full form with First Class, a successful reboot that also works just as well as an exceptional prequel.
FilmMasterEdJan 6, 2016
Just when you wanted to lighten the memory load on your personal hard drive by deleting the X-Men franchise (yes, The Last Stand and Wolverine sucked that bad), along comes this primal blast of a prequel, a potent reminder of what jazzed usJust when you wanted to lighten the memory load on your personal hard drive by deleting the X-Men franchise (yes, The Last Stand and Wolverine sucked that bad), along comes this primal blast of a prequel, a potent reminder of what jazzed us about Bryan Singer's first two X-Men and the Marvel comics that spawned them. X-Men: First Class, the fifth in the series, is directed by fresh hand Matthew Vaughn, and as Kick-Ass proved, he's a live wire. In this cheerfully perverse origin tale of Magneto, Professor X and their mutant team, Vaughn delivers a fireworks display of action, smarts and fun, plus a touch of class from actors who can really act.

James McAvoy as telepathic Professor X and Michael Fassbender as the metal-bending Magneto are both dynamite. They take roles created, respectively, by Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen and give them an exuberant jolt of youth and flawed ambition. As Oxford brainiac Charles Xavier, McAvoy isn't bald, in a wheelchair or a stuffy utopian. He has one eye on a hot CIA agent (Rose Byrne) and the other on creating a society where young mutants can harness their powers and coexist with humans. This doesn't sit well with Fassbender's Erik Lehnsherr, a Holocaust survivor and the future Magneto, who'd like to see humans heel to mutants. That kind of thing can put a kink in a friendship. Luckily, the boys unite against the film's Dr. Evil, Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon spewing hellfire). Set in 1962, at the height of the Cold War, the prequel dances to an irresistible James Bond vibe that Fassbender runs with in high style (Daniel Craig, watch your back). Did you know the X-Men played a key role in the Cuban Missile Crisis? You will now.

Trouble spots? Too many young mutants means that too few register. But Jennifer Lawrence, Katniss in the upcoming Hunger Games, defines bombshell as Raven, Xavier's adoptive sister, who shape-shifts into the blue-skinned Mystique or anyone else she fancies. Catch her in Magneto's bed – yowsa! Props to Nicholas Hoult for giving a deep-well gravity to the cerebral Hank McCoy even as he morphs into Beast. And January Jones spins her Betty Draper cool into diamond-hard ice shards as Emma Frost, Shaw's accomplice. So who cares about plot holes and a few tacky effects? Go, mutants! You just made this summer movie the badass place to be.
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
A beleaguered Marvel movie property gets the smart, stylish prequel it deserves.

After undergoing some unfortunate mutations in recent years, a beleaguered Marvel movie property gets the smart, stylish prequel it deserves in “X-Men: First Class.” Reclaiming much of the pop-operatic grandeur and insouciant wit so evident in the series’ first two installments, director/co-writer Matthew Vaughn imagines the rise of Professor X, Magneto and their earliest mutant disciples as a ’60s-set origin story, steeped in Cold War paranoia and served up with a delightful Rat Pack swagger. Strong word of mouth, franchise popularity and the public’s seemingly inexhaustible appetite for comicbook fare should keep “First Class” at a high B.O. altitude worldwide.

The series’ spluttering 2009 foray into how-it-all-began territory with “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” may have tempered audience anticipation for “First Class,” and Vaughn handily exceeds expectations with a picture that may rile Stan Lee purists but should prove entirely engaging for franchise newcomers as well as viewers familiar with the series’ mythology. Both constituencies, however, may be surprised by the degree to which Vaughn manages to invest this unabashedly commercial product with a unique stylistic identity.

Providing a major assist in this regard is Bryan Singer, who hasn’t been involved with the series since he so assuredly directed the first two installments, and who returns here as a producer and story writer (with Sheldon Turner). Singer’s touch is apparent in the film’s very first shot, which expands on the Auschwitz-set prologue of 2000’s “X-Men,” extending the fascination with Nazi iconography Singer evinced in “Valkyrie” and “Apt Pupil.”

When he learns that young camp refugee Erik Lensherr (Bill Milner) has the power to bend metal with his mind, Mengele-like Dr. Schmidt (Kevin Bacon) attempts to harness the boy’s abilities in horrifying fashion. The tragic outcome of this unpleasant, rather ill-advised episode instills in Erik a lifelong thirst for revenge and renders him incapable of summoning his gifts without channeling his rage.

In contrast to the bitter, brooding Erik (played as an adult by Michael Fassbender), dashing Oxford academic Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) envisions a utopian world order in which mutants are able to control their superhuman gifts and coexist with the rest of mankind. Possessing astonishing telepathic abilities and, for now, the full use of his legs, Charles is delightfully presented as a ladies man who turns scientific observations into pick-up lines, to the loving exasperation of his adoptive sister, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence), a shape-shifter who struggles to keep her natural blue-skinned appearance under wraps.

Suspecting malevolent outside interference in the escalating U.S.-Soviet conflict, plucky, pretty CIA agent Moira MacTaggert (Rose Byrne) recruits Charles despite the agency’s hostility toward these strange new beings called mutants. This uneasy alliance ushers in the story’s most dramatic development, in an emotionally surging scene that brings the future Professor X and Magneto together for the first time. Though the ideological differences between Charles’ optimistic empathy and Erik’s cynical superiority couldn’t be more pronounced, the men’s mutual respect leads to friendship, and they band together to build a stronghold of young mutants.

At this point, “First Class” almost comes to resemble a 1960s heist picture by way of a James Bond caper as Charles and Erik assemble their motley crew, hitting up strip clubs, pubs, prisons and other unlikely joints in sequences that thrum with period atmosphere. In setting the classic “X-Men” parable of intolerance and suspicion within a context overshadowed by nuclear paranoia and the Cuban Missile Crisis (which undergoes a major historical rewrite), Vaughn takes full advantage of the milieu’s expressive opportunities. Lenser John Mathieson reinforces the film’s retro orientation with canted camera angles and tracking shots that show off the richness of Chris Seagers’ production design, whether it’s a louche Las Vegas nightclub or a submarine commandeered by Bacon’s renascent villain, now calling himself Sebastian Shaw.

Having taken the superhero subgenre to smart-alecky extremes in “Kick-Ass,” Vaughn shows how much more he’s capable of when he plays this sort of material straight.

Still, it’s remarkable how many things “First Class” gets right, whether it’s the decision to have characters speak different languages as the film’s frequent globe-trotting dictates, or the casting of Fassbender and McAvoy, who bear no resemblance to their respective older counterparts (Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart) but perfectly capture Charles and Erik’s symbolic might-vs.-right dynamic.

Despite a somewhat hefty 130-minute running time, “First Class” feels swift, sleek and remarkably coherent; an even longer, more fully fleshed-out version would not have been unwelcome.
SrPepeNov 13, 2017
No me esperaba que esta película sea la que más me haya gustado de toda la franquicia. La relación de Magneto y Charles es excelente, mis nuevos personajes favoritos.
mbagelyJun 5, 2011
I'm still unsure whether I like this or not, I was really hyped for it and it didn't meet my expectations. It was very hit and miss - some scenes were brilliant, yet some were rushed and clumsy.
Teh_PwnererJun 28, 2011
This movie was pretty good and the acting is something to be recognised. The movie is really fan-based and it really appeals to people who have actually watched the previous X-men movies and it would of helped to even have read some of theThis movie was pretty good and the acting is something to be recognised. The movie is really fan-based and it really appeals to people who have actually watched the previous X-men movies and it would of helped to even have read some of the original comic books so you know some of the story line that unravels throughout the movie and how everything changes by the end of the movie. If your not a fan of the original movies who just haven't watched them, this movie is still something that is worth being watched. I strongly recommend this to people who like the previous X-men movies and the people who read the comic books, If you don't think its worth buying or you just don't have the money, It's definitely worth renting. Expand
MRedzuanJun 5, 2011
I had my doubts but it was the best movie of the franchise. To be honest, I never really found Prof X and Magneto to be interesting in the previous movies, But Matt Vaughn managed to make them very interesting and intriguing characters. TheI had my doubts but it was the best movie of the franchise. To be honest, I never really found Prof X and Magneto to be interesting in the previous movies, But Matt Vaughn managed to make them very interesting and intriguing characters. The emotional core of First Class is surprisingly deep for an action flick, the friendships, the insecurities of being different and wanting to be accepted into society is really a solid backbone of the movie. I just wished that more of the running time of the movie would be devoted to the friendship between Xavier and Eric, I wanted it to develop and be explored more than what was given to us. The stand-out performance is by Michael Fassbender, he made Eric into such a likable person that we root for and sympathize with. He's just so good, ever since Inglorious Basterds. I hope the rumors are true and that when Daniel Craig steps down, this is the man who's going to be the next James Bond. But take nothing away from James McAvoy, he was perfect for the role of the smooth-talking highly charismatic Xavier. These two guys really made the movie what it is and it's all credit to Matt Vaughn for perfect casting. Favorite scene: surprise cameo by a mutant who shall not be named with the funniest line in the movie. Expand
gm101Jun 19, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very enjoyable prequel to the X-Men franchise. I loved Wolverine's cameo! Although, the plot holes this movie created made me take away two points. Still, at least it's no X-Men 3. Expand
sadsonicfanJun 9, 2011
I thought this film was great. I had a lot of fun, and the characters of magneto and professor X were entertaining to watch. Sure, fans of X-men may be disappointed about the creative liberties taken, but the result is a pretty solid movie.I thought this film was great. I had a lot of fun, and the characters of magneto and professor X were entertaining to watch. Sure, fans of X-men may be disappointed about the creative liberties taken, but the result is a pretty solid movie.

One of the things that didn't appeal to me was Beast. Man, beast just looks so freaking weird...
NKOASNov 17, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the years between Batman films, Marvel truly gets a chance to shine, especially in the time building up towards their unprecedented, all-or-nothing extravaganza The Avengers. So it would come as a huge shock to many that, in a summer with not one but two Avengers-related films (Thor and Captain America), the most thrilling and refined comic book film of the year was the one no one was excited for. Well, folks, we all learned to never judge a film by its trailer once this smartly written, sharply filmed and sleekly acted origin story unfolded on the screen. This was Michael Fassbender Expand
TokyochuchuApr 27, 2012
Mathew Vaughn does a fantastic job with X Men: First Class by infusing it with the same irresistible energy as his previous outing Kick Ass. The script also packs a descent punch and there are a ton of memorable quotes and scenes to sink yourMathew Vaughn does a fantastic job with X Men: First Class by infusing it with the same irresistible energy as his previous outing Kick Ass. The script also packs a descent punch and there are a ton of memorable quotes and scenes to sink your teeth into. A real revelation here is Michael Fassbender, who plays Magnito with a brutal elegance. It makes me want to see a lot more of Magnito in the future. Overall, First Class is an excellent movie that is easily on par with the classic X2. Expand
allystewJun 3, 2011
If like me you know your Xmen then you should like this movie. They may have changed certain things, but I like the new direction and the Cold-war timeline of this interpretation. The things which stand out for me and what has always stoodIf like me you know your Xmen then you should like this movie. They may have changed certain things, but I like the new direction and the Cold-war timeline of this interpretation. The things which stand out for me and what has always stood out in Xmen history is the universal themes which everybody can connect with. The acting is great and McAvoy and Fassbender are standouts. Great action scenes and a good story so for fans (treated to some great cameos) or casual movie goer this is worth a watch. Expand
Commen0136Jul 15, 2011
I will first start my review by saying that I've been a fan of the first two movies (I hated The Last Stand and Wolverine). I didn't expect this film to be any good because the last two X-Men movies were really bad. I was wrong. First ClassI will first start my review by saying that I've been a fan of the first two movies (I hated The Last Stand and Wolverine). I didn't expect this film to be any good because the last two X-Men movies were really bad. I was wrong. First Class is a great movie. The story does good job of intersecting itself with actual history. The acting of Fassbender and McAvoy and the rest of the cast are excellent. References to the previous films were funny and likable. First Class is not a perfect movie though. Beast looked silly and cartoonish, there were awkward dialogue and some scenes did not just hit. These things did ruin the movie for me. X-Men first class is a good movie and it opened the series again. Expand
manwe7Jun 13, 2011
Wow was this movie really good. I like all the X-Men movies and I would rate them as such, 1. X-2
2. X-Men First Class
3. Wolverine 4. X-Men 5. X-Men the Last Stand I still have not figured out why the critic hated Wolverine as I loved it.
2. X-Men First Class
3. Wolverine
4. X-Men
5. X-Men the Last Stand
I still have not figured out why the critic hated Wolverine as I loved it. But critic are a bunch of **** **** anyway so who cares. The movie was action packed. I thought Kevin Bacon was good as well as the 2 main stars. Who cared if January Jones couldn't act, she looked really hot and only a **** would not like her. The movie is about the cold war and how the x-men started and I can't wait to see the next one. To me this movie was as good as Iron Man and damn better than Thor. It was worth the 8.50 that I spent on it.
PurpleUrpNov 15, 2011
Better than expected as First Class downshifted into a prequel and brought a new vibe to the X-Men series instead of grinding it out with sequels. Comedic presence and polished CGI did the body good.
thefirstknight1Sep 21, 2011
Good movie!! Wasnt a xmen fan but this is the fist xmen movie I have purchased. I would recommend to my friend and family to watch this movie as it is a fun family experience.
wordy_actionsJun 9, 2011
After X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men: First Class is a fantastic return to what made the series great. Matthew Vaughn direction is always competent and occasionally brilliant. He handles the many different characters andAfter X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men: First Class is a fantastic return to what made the series great. Matthew Vaughn direction is always competent and occasionally brilliant. He handles the many different characters and locations well during the first half, and in the second half he weaves it all together in an amazing action sequence that eclipses anything else found in the other X-Men movies. The special effects are great for the most part, as is the acting. Of note are the two leads who carry the majority of the pathos of the film with them. The supporting cast is a little uneven which prevents me from giving the film a higher rating. Kevin Bacon though is great as the villain, being memorable but subtle and not overshadowing the X-Men, who should be and are the main focus of the movie. The ending perfectly sets the stage for the sequel, and I can't wait. I highly recommend the movie. Expand
BingoTrousers14Jun 25, 2011
I'm a big fan of the X-men comics and a big Marvel fan in general. This movie was done really well with some awesome leads and some sub-par secondary characters.
kingtzJun 11, 2011
A solid 8 from me. The movie was very entertaining and some of the acting (McAvoy as Xavier and Fassbender as Magneto) was excellent. Some obvious weakness in plot and logic here and there, but overall pretty decent for a movie aimed at theA solid 8 from me. The movie was very entertaining and some of the acting (McAvoy as Xavier and Fassbender as Magneto) was excellent. Some obvious weakness in plot and logic here and there, but overall pretty decent for a movie aimed at the masses and teenagers. This is not a movie I'd ever buy for my blu-ray collection, but it was a fun 2 hours, nonetheless. Oh yeah, all the actresses in the movie were f'n hot. Expand
CooperjctJun 10, 2011
This is by far the best X-Men movie. The acting was good and so was the effects. The story had some slow points and didn't make sense at some points, but all in all it was an enjoyable movie for the most part. My favorite thing about theThis is by far the best X-Men movie. The acting was good and so was the effects. The story had some slow points and didn't make sense at some points, but all in all it was an enjoyable movie for the most part. My favorite thing about the movie was the soundtrack. Expand
Khunter4382Jun 13, 2011
Another great X-Men film! McAvoy and Fassbender are excellent! This franchise continues to satisfy veteran fans and new fans alike. The film's story is elegantly intertwined in our nation's history with great finesse and attention to detail.Another great X-Men film! McAvoy and Fassbender are excellent! This franchise continues to satisfy veteran fans and new fans alike. The film's story is elegantly intertwined in our nation's history with great finesse and attention to detail. My only criticism would be that we don't see much exhibition of the mutants' powers, which is what these films are all about. One could argue that the reasoning for this is that they are young, amateur, and under-developed with their powers, but with the shock and awe nature of these films, most audiences don't have that kind of time after 20 mins. Expand
lovemusicJun 5, 2011
finally a good x men movie. this movie was pretty decent. it was okay. it had more drama than acting. the guy who played magneto did a fantastic job. James mcavoy gave a good performance. good action movie. i enjoyed it.
kgbelliveau91Jun 12, 2011
When Charles Xaiver meets a shapes shifting girl named Raven Darkholme in his kitchen at age 12 they realize that genetic mutation may be happening and the world should embrace it. At the same time Erik Lensherr is being ruthlessly torturedWhen Charles Xaiver meets a shapes shifting girl named Raven Darkholme in his kitchen at age 12 they realize that genetic mutation may be happening and the world should embrace it. At the same time Erik Lensherr is being ruthlessly tortured in a Nazi concentration camp. As they grow older Charles goes off to explore the idea of genetic mutations while Erik vows to exact revenge on the man who killed his mother. The year is now 1962, and the Russians and the Americans are on the brink of war, and Sebastian Shaw captures this as an opportunity to try and kill the human race and let the world be run by those who are deemed different by humanity. Xavier with the help of Lensherr and the CIA put together a team of â Expand
Stretch2643Jun 4, 2011
I was very dubious of the hype surrounding this movie after being so disappointed by Wolverine. But I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. The movie takes some real liberties with comic canon, but once you get past that, it turns outI was very dubious of the hype surrounding this movie after being so disappointed by Wolverine. But I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. The movie takes some real liberties with comic canon, but once you get past that, it turns out this is a great summer movie. There's definitely a tongue-in-cheek Lovecraftian feel about the film, complete with full on retro styling, but it really works, and you get the impression that Vaughn and Singer had as much fun with the spy era details as the audience did. Despite some odd choices for the new "student" team, the characters are fun and fleshed out, and Charles' and Erik's relationship is developed and handled carefully and really well. There's a few downright comedic moments, some hilarious cameos, and a really strong script. So once you get past the idea of Kevin Bacon as a Nazi scientist (I think that was the only unintentionally comedic moment in our theater) it's really a great bang for your buck summer movie. Expand
vishnooJun 8, 2011
The movie was provided in the most interesting way the audience could ask for. Its overall presentation and graphics have scored well. The movie was well represented in a stylish way. Michael Vaughn has performed well and all others haveThe movie was provided in the most interesting way the audience could ask for. Its overall presentation and graphics have scored well. The movie was well represented in a stylish way. Michael Vaughn has performed well and all others have played a very supporting hand in making the movie a great hit. Expand
colten97Jun 10, 2011
With a strong script, stylish direction, and powerful performances from its well-rounded cast, X-Men: First Class is a welcome return to form for the franchise.
RoyschachReviewJun 14, 2011
Not as good as I expected but not bad. I have my qualms as a geek for sure, but as a critic I found some things to be irritating. Mostly script and studio problems but the acting is usually the shining heart of the film.

Check out my full

Check out my full youtube review and thumbs up the video.

WarriorV1Jun 14, 2011
Great X-Men film to see the least. Many humorous and exciting parts to the movie. Pretty said to see Wolverine only have one line in the entire scene. Great movie to see with friends though! I give it an 8 because it had a decent plot andGreat X-Men film to see the least. Many humorous and exciting parts to the movie. Pretty said to see Wolverine only have one line in the entire scene. Great movie to see with friends though! I give it an 8 because it had a decent plot and climax and is one of the best movies of 2011! Expand
RobbiE23_Jun 15, 2011
Best one yet. First Class combines humour, action and drama in a brilliant way. Only downfall of this movie is that it ended. Must see, Sound is great, Acting is awesome, CGI was amazing. And Xavier kicks freaken ass! Yeye!
ZiggyStardustJun 15, 2011
Wow. Fassbender and McAvoy did a great job of portraying the dynamics and the relationship of Erik Lehnsherr and Charles Xavier. Very enjoyable movie and a great piece of film, considering the time table the director had to work with.
zutopiaJun 16, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very decent and entertaining movie. X-Men's Saga redeemed after the last two fiasco, led mostly by the great performances of McAvoy and Fassbender. Very recommendable. Expand
lisgmcwJun 20, 2011
Best X-Men movie so far. I didn't like not seeing enough of Hugh Jackman in this movie. Is anyone else tired of X-men? Can we see something else now? James McAvoy was the best part of the movie. He is very entertaining. James McAvoy isBest X-Men movie so far. I didn't like not seeing enough of Hugh Jackman in this movie. Is anyone else tired of X-men? Can we see something else now? James McAvoy was the best part of the movie. He is very entertaining. James McAvoy is one of the best new actors on the scene today. Expand
absolutemoviesJun 22, 2011
Even though when I saw the trailers I did have my doubts about this film..... Trying not to let me "nerd" escape inside me. This movie was amazing! I cannot think of a stronger word than that to describe this film. All of the X-Men films haveEven though when I saw the trailers I did have my doubts about this film..... Trying not to let me "nerd" escape inside me. This movie was amazing! I cannot think of a stronger word than that to describe this film. All of the X-Men films have been great in some shape or form and have a stronger bond that any other superhero movies such as Spider-man, Batman, Superman- all of which are constantly getting rebooted, but X-Men has managed strive through this and find other ways to keep an audience interested and the films alive. It was a lovely to be introduced to new characters that have never had the chance to be able to perform in films before. The movie has now tied the stories for Magneto and Professor X. And now leaves an open door to take away other characters from the X-Men films and let writers play with them for a while. Great film, amazing effects, enjoyed all of the actors and actresses (Nice to seem a bunch of people who can act), the dialogue and story was perfected.... More films like this please! Expand
moviemonsterJul 3, 2011
A movie that defies what a superhero movie usually is. The film is wonderfully dark, visually appealing and introduces a new set of characters all played to a nice and gritty hard rock soundtrack. The problem with the film is that some of theA movie that defies what a superhero movie usually is. The film is wonderfully dark, visually appealing and introduces a new set of characters all played to a nice and gritty hard rock soundtrack. The problem with the film is that some of the characters they use aren't essential to the story and just pass through, while the film awaits a few more new and wonderful characters to, I hate to say it, waste Expand
frugalDonnieJul 20, 2011
They should of called this movie "McAvoy & Fassbender: The Movie," because every time the two are on screen, they own! They own so much, they make all the other actors seem useless. A period piece to start off the summer blockbuster, thisThey should of called this movie "McAvoy & Fassbender: The Movie," because every time the two are on screen, they own! They own so much, they make all the other actors seem useless. A period piece to start off the summer blockbuster, this movie delivered something I was not expecting. I was expecting a stupid, boring and awful movie; in fact I got just the opposite, a fun, emotional and thrilling story that made me remember why I fell in love with the X-Men comics as a kid. For that, I recommend seeing a matinee but if your a X-Men fan like me, X-Men: First Class is a MUST SEE movie!! Expand
shimano6000Jul 16, 2011
This is a great romp. One big flaw at one point but otherwise a great movie. Worth even seeing on the big screen. Loved the story. Just thought it was great to go back and indulge in the history of X-Men. Nice work!
HasrionaJul 20, 2011
It has an interesting plot which is captivating if a little long, and the film succeeds in bringing great entertainment to the audience with strong acting performances and many satisfying moments which lead the audience to say "So that's howIt has an interesting plot which is captivating if a little long, and the film succeeds in bringing great entertainment to the audience with strong acting performances and many satisfying moments which lead the audience to say "So that's how it all happened..." Expand
Zeolot88Jul 20, 2011
Enjoyable film for a fan of the franchise and the genre, plus a great insight into the beginning of the x-men, (always wondered how the prof ended up in a wheelchair!) despite if its really true to the comics or not. A must see, as McAvoy andEnjoyable film for a fan of the franchise and the genre, plus a great insight into the beginning of the x-men, (always wondered how the prof ended up in a wheelchair!) despite if its really true to the comics or not. A must see, as McAvoy and Fassbender really pull off their characters well; a tribute to Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen respectively. Expand
J-ShapAug 28, 2011
X-Men: First Class is such an accomplishment of superhero sci-fi allegorical work, that it lays the recent comic flicks to waste. It accomplishes everything that made the earlier X-Men movies promised but never delivered, and it is anX-Men: First Class is such an accomplishment of superhero sci-fi allegorical work, that it lays the recent comic flicks to waste. It accomplishes everything that made the earlier X-Men movies promised but never delivered, and it is an incredibly entertaining summer movie, not because of its effects, nor its action scenes, nor its cheesy (in a good way) plot, but because watching McAvoy and Fassbender fires up the screen. Expand
ScooterTManAug 17, 2011
A great prequel to the series. See it if you like X-Men, as the actors do a good job and it excels for a superhero movie. The action scenes will keep you on the edge of your seat. Some actors don't do as well as others and can beA great prequel to the series. See it if you like X-Men, as the actors do a good job and it excels for a superhero movie. The action scenes will keep you on the edge of your seat. Some actors don't do as well as others and can be overshadowed, but overall the movie is awesome. Expand
Potter17Jan 27, 2012
Being able to develop its many characters without interfering with the course of the story, 'X-Men: First Class' is competently acted and possibly the best X-men film yet.
avatar16Aug 23, 2011
Une bonne surprise que ce X-Men : le Commencement car il est ce que peu espéraient, c'est-à-dire le meilleur film actuel de la saga. Il est vrai que cet opus laisse légèrement deUne bonne surprise que ce X-Men : le Commencement car il est ce que peu espéraient, c'est-à-dire le meilleur film actuel de la saga. Il est vrai que cet opus laisse légèrement de côté l'action, mais c'est pour mieux se préoccuper des personnages, qui sont approfondis comme rarement (je pense notamment à Xavier, Magneto, Mystique et le Fauve), grâce un scénario très malin. Superbement interprété et mis en scène, musiques entraînantes, effets numériques de bonne qualité... Ajoutez à cela un caméo inattendu et jouissif de Logan/Wolverine, nous avons-là un film qui rattrape sans conteste les erreurs de X-Men : l'Affrontement Final et X-Men Origins : Wolverine, et qui peut se vanter d'être bien meilleur que X-Men 2. Là, nous avons un grand film Marvel, se plaçant aux côtés de Spider-Man et Iron Man! Expand
FIlmsareawesomeAug 31, 2011
My Favourite X-Men Movie. This was definitely the best one, i though the story was very original, I mean bringing the origins of each mutant and that kind of stuff (the way that the characters become throw out the movies), i did like it aMy Favourite X-Men Movie. This was definitely the best one, i though the story was very original, I mean bringing the origins of each mutant and that kind of stuff (the way that the characters become throw out the movies), i did like it a lot, and the casting was just perfect, James McAvoy. Michael Fassbander, Jennifer Lawrence and January Jones, amazing. Expand
EssenceOfSugarAug 21, 2012
This film was pretty good for what it achieved - the leads were amazing as their characters and the dialogue was interesting. The CGI was colourful, but didn't block out the story. I loved the chemistry between Erik and Charles before itThis film was pretty good for what it achieved - the leads were amazing as their characters and the dialogue was interesting. The CGI was colourful, but didn't block out the story. I loved the chemistry between Erik and Charles before it descended into chaos. I doubted the film because of its possible childish aspects considering the group of teenage mutants but it also looked dumbed down from the darker X-Men films. Despite this, it managed to produce a stable backstory, there was a cool injection of humour (one scene possibly being unintentional but not in a bad way) and a cameo from a probably lovable rogue makes the film even more special. Expand
pauljohnsonNov 24, 2011
When I first heard about this film, I thought I would have a hard time accepting a Professor X and a Magneto that wasn't Sir Patrick and Sir Ian. I was immensely surprised when I took to McAvoy and Fassbender (no pun intended), like a magnet.When I first heard about this film, I thought I would have a hard time accepting a Professor X and a Magneto that wasn't Sir Patrick and Sir Ian. I was immensely surprised when I took to McAvoy and Fassbender (no pun intended), like a magnet. If this film was to be given any credit, it should be for McAvoy's and Fassbender's excellent work in this film. Their friendship and ultimate separation was immensely realistic, and a genuine sad moment when it occurs. The theme of alienation in this movie seems to permeate this film a lot more than it did in the previous franchise. As an origin story, its not on the same level as an origin story like Batman Begins, however personally, it is the best watch of the X-Men franchise. I was never bored once throughout this movie, the pacing and editing is excellent (though a bit over-paced in some places). My only criticism of the film would be that it seems to be a bit too effects heavy in places, and that some of the problems of the original X-Men has spilled over onto this film too. There are too many damn mutants. I would've preferred a tighter focus on a handful of mutants, rather than spilling dozens of mutants into the story, who for some, their only story contribution is a demonstration of their powers. I was never an avid X-Men comic reader, so I might sound like a bit of an outsider saying this, but I would have preferred to have had a focus on mutants with "realistic" powers; i.e. telepathy, telekinesis, magnetism etc. All in all though, it is definitely a film that can be enjoyed on a level for its fun factor, and also for its acting, a good story to hold your attention and themes. A must see for fans of the franchise. Expand
GCMANINDAHOODMay 26, 2012
It was a good movie, though not canon in accordance to its predecessors the "X-men trilogy and X-men Origins: Wolverine" its confusing without it keeping continuity already set by the previous films. Other than the confusion the film wasIt was a good movie, though not canon in accordance to its predecessors the "X-men trilogy and X-men Origins: Wolverine" its confusing without it keeping continuity already set by the previous films. Other than the confusion the film was pretty great, captivating plot and a eye popping experience filled with plenty of eye candy scenes and a epic performance by the cast. But on the other hand the film did seem it was just thrown together to make a plot for Prof X and Magneto, but I still think they should have had continuity. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
I was fully prepared to hate this movie, no denying that. I can't say I'm a die hard fan, but I used to read all the X-Men comics that were published in my home country, Finland, and although that isn't all that's been published in USA, I hadI was fully prepared to hate this movie, no denying that. I can't say I'm a die hard fan, but I used to read all the X-Men comics that were published in my home country, Finland, and although that isn't all that's been published in USA, I had a pretty solid idea about what was supposed to happen, and who would be in a movie like this.

Either my memory is getting rusty in all the right places, or mixing up people, background, ages and timelines didn't really do much damage to this movie - because it rocked!

A bit uneven in pace (having a very calm training-the-kids moment in the middle which kind of halts the action that's been happening so far). I did, however, fully appreciate the fact that they used the same clip in the beginning as they did in the first X-Men film back in 2000.

The cast was... well, it was either good or rather insignificant. The choice of James McAvoy as Charles Xavier was a little odd, but he grew on you. Michael Fassbender was pretty good as future Magneto. Kevin Bacon totally rocked as Sebastian Shaw, and under all that make-up, Jason Flemyng as Azazel was probably the most impressive one of them all to watch.

Charles and Eric took center stage, with Shaw, and everyone else shrank back, being less and less important. Sure, they did their part, but it seemed they just sort of... hung back and tried to create little issues of their own (which were many and meaningful, considering the overall themes, but that still wasn't enough to make them shine).

The action was good, the special effects were awesome, and the emotional depth was just right. Small details like names and faces *cough*Wolverine*cough* - and Magneto's helmet - were thrown around, which was awesome.

So, as much as I prepared to hate this film, I have to admit I shall be watching it again, and even hope they'll continue with this version of the X-Men universe, because they are off to a rather good start.
AwesomeReviewerMar 26, 2012
When I finally did manage to see it a few day ago, I was blown away. The movie is a compelling story about society and trying to fit in. It is a story many of us can relate too. We change or hide ourselves to fit into the world or better yet,When I finally did manage to see it a few day ago, I was blown away. The movie is a compelling story about society and trying to fit in. It is a story many of us can relate too. We change or hide ourselves to fit into the world or better yet, the worldâ Expand
A_NorthernerFeb 22, 2013
First Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different'First Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different' on top of the relationship between Charles and Erik in addition to stopping Schmidt from causing the Cuban Missile Crisis from going from military stand-off to full blown war. As usual with X-Men, too many characters are included purely for bodies in the fight scenes. Step forward Angel, Banshee, Havok, Darwin, Azazel and Riptide. Avengers leads the way in accommodating a group of major superheroes without shoehorning wafer-thin characters for cannon fodder. Special mentions for January Jones, who gives the flattest, monotone performance I can remember as the Schmidt's female sidekick, Emma Frost and Kevin Bacon, for performing scenes in German and Russian! On to the positives......Michael Fassbender. It is not often you associate a superhero movie with powerhouse performances, but Fassbender's intense, brooding portrayal of Erik, hinting at the flaws that ultimately come to the surface as Magneto, is just that, and is a joy to watch. Only a few leagues below (and given Fassbender's performance this is still high praise) is James McAvoy's performance as Charles Xavier.

All things said and done, First Class is an enjoyable action film, benefiting from some excellent actors and the curiosity attached to seeing younger versions of familiar characters.
OfficialMar 8, 2014
The best in the series so far. It improves greatly on the previous film by giving us more character development and emotion between characters, and when you combine that with a better story this time round along with some intense actionThe best in the series so far. It improves greatly on the previous film by giving us more character development and emotion between characters, and when you combine that with a better story this time round along with some intense action sequences, you simply have a great movie. Expand
kirkteegardinJul 5, 2012
This is by far the best X-Men movie to date. In the movie you get to see how Magneto and Dr. X become friends. Magneto believes that he was the only one that was gifted. As for Dr. X he finds out early when he is a child. Mystic (the blueThis is by far the best X-Men movie to date. In the movie you get to see how Magneto and Dr. X become friends. Magneto believes that he was the only one that was gifted. As for Dr. X he finds out early when he is a child. Mystic (the blue chick) meets Dr. X when they are only kids. Magneto meets Kevin Bacon (the guy from Hollow Man) and is the main cause for Magneto for realizing his potential. Kevin Bacon has a bigger role in the movie but it may spoil it if I say what it is. It was cool to see Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) for a scene, although the theater's applaud was not needed. The effects in the movie are not too cheesy. The music, except for the trailer, are a bit boring. There seems to not be any epic music through out the movie. It would of liked it if they used the previous actors for Magneto and Dr. X but it would not have worked well with them looking old. The movie includes a few twists (the main one being when Magneto steels Kevin Bacon's helmet). The movie ends with Magneto and Dr. X on their separate paths. There will need to be a sequel to connect the ties of the first X-Men movie (the one that sucked that had Sabertooth in it) with this prequel. Expand
zied12Nov 20, 2013
I think the remake of the xmen is better than the original The cast is great ,the plot is thrilling and the visuals are astonishing It's a really good movie that I think everyone should watch
InlikeflynnJun 7, 2014
This is a very good super-hero movie...

This is a very good super-hero movie...

The writing is good, the cast is talented, the action scenes are very well shoot, the directing is strong, etc... it's seems obvious that he knows the characters and the universe it shows that he knew exactly what to have his actors do and the actors knew what the characters needed to do. I can tell the director is knows very well the X-Men universe.

This movie has a lot of good elements about it, but I can't help but feel that the ending is abrupt, like they needed to end the movie intermediately and they just rushed the end. Maybe this is because I am not a big X-Men fan, but I still recommend this movie a lot, it's just a good super-hero movie.
George-rootsAug 28, 2013
Now this is where the X-Men Franchise begins to redeems itself...

Now this is where the X-Men Franchise begins to redeems itself...

After "The Last Stand" and "Origins" had disappointed me, I was so happy as well as confused to hear about the beginning of A new X-Men trilogy, but then upon hearing it was going to be based on one of my favourite All-Time Mini-series "First Class", hype necessarily followed.

Also considering the abundance of Super-Hero movies coming out this year, X-Men was the only one I was really looking forward too.

I was not disappointed.

Though people seemed pissed off due to the fact that a majority of recognizable characters were missing from this film, i was really happy with that because this film features all these virtually unknown characters who are just brilliant and played by superb actors.

The only problem I had with it was that it did not follow the "First Class" comic storyline but 10 minutes in I DID NOT CARE because the 60's style they've gone for here is the equivilent of a James Bond movie, the friendship and differences between James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as Xavier & Magneto is so engaging and tensious to watch, while Kevin Bacon was an astounding villian and January Jones just screamed "Fembot".

The Story worked well around all the characters and themes X-men were made for, fear of mutants (Which was originally a shot a communism) and an INGENIOUS idea of "Mutant Warfare" during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Final Verdict: Though we still gotta get through "Green Lantern" and "Captain America" X-Men is literally (And i know this is cheesy) First Class. 8.5
TheApplegnomeOct 16, 2014
Incredible.
This film is almost greater than the original X-Men movies, so spectacular!
Incredible.
This film is almost greater than the original X-Men movies, so spectacular!

The first thing that totally made me love this movie is that there’s always something going on, it just kept going and going and I love it. Another thing is the video editing, it’s so unique and professional. There’s also many unique things that totally surprised me, which made the film superb! X-Men: First Class is a wonderful prequel film that totally is greater than the original, and there’s not many directors that have been successful with that in recent years. The story is awesome, it’s so deep and well thought-out. Aside from that is First Class a very entertaining film that got an awesome opening scene and ending. The soundtrack is another aspect of the film that truly is insanely great, Henry Jackman is from now on one of my favorite composers.

Even though it's an incredible film, it got some downsides like vague CGI and some less great actors, but it’s still one of my favorite movies of all time.

One of the best prequel films in history.

X-men: First Class get a 8.8/10
Danne_RageAug 1, 2013
Don't judge the book by it's cover.
Same with this movie.
Great one if you want to know how it all started or if you just want a good movie to your saturday snacks.
SuperheroMoviesSep 15, 2013
An exceptional prequel to the original X-Men films, First Class delivers with large amounts of vitality, a cast that pulls off their performance immaculately, and a script that handles its source material with a meticulous hand.
heeldavidMay 23, 2014
Probably one of the best X-Men movies.Period. Matthew Vaughn made the characters a lot more compelling than the other movies in the franchise. Fine Performances by the cast
SpiderPlayerMay 18, 2015
Great movie, the story is good and interesting, made a good movie without using the Wolverine, the special effects are good, only the Beast that was not very good, the film is interesting despite slightly distort the world of X-Men in cinema.
cumoviesAug 15, 2014
Really good film good action good story and good acting a very good x men movie.

my ratting 7.9/10 8/10 for action/special effects 7.9 for story 7.8/10 for acting 7.9 for characters/character development
boesballAug 16, 2014
This movie is not considered the greatest X-Men movie, but I think it is. It's really really good at combining the two genres. It's interesting how a mixture of Cold War historical fiction and comic book action can be so compelling. ItThis movie is not considered the greatest X-Men movie, but I think it is. It's really really good at combining the two genres. It's interesting how a mixture of Cold War historical fiction and comic book action can be so compelling. It gives incredible depth to Charles, Eric, and Raven (Mystique) and makes me like the earlier movies better. The effects were great, the villain was great, and for an origin story, the plot was great! I think it's better that the origin story came after the original trilogy because we already care a lot about Charles and Eric, and the Beast and Mystique haven't been explained a lot in the original trilogy. We want to know more about them, and this explains it to us. The addition of Emma Frost also adds to the story. I can't get enough of this movie, and it is deserving of a score of 8. It's very close to a 9. Expand
MrMovieBuffMar 17, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the dismal and lack of entertaining factors that came from 'X-Men: The Last Stand' (2006) and don't even get me started on 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' (2009), it's understandable to think why this movie would be such a disaster.

First of all, it is a prequel...many would think "What on earth? A prequel? Really? Is this all they have to offer after the last two crap-fests that came out?". Admit it, this could easily have been the next 'Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace' (1999) and put the "X-Men" franchise to a new low.

In other words, we all had low expectations, well most of us did. But after watching this movie, for some strange reason, I wanted to see it again, and so did a lot of people.

'X-Men: First Class' is directed by Matthew Vaughn who gave us 'Layer Cake' (2004) and 'Kick-Ass' (2010), he was apparently supposed to direct 'X-Men: The Last Stand' (2006), which would have been a good idea, but he couldn't for undisclosed reasons.

Here, Vaughn has crafted a stylish, thoughtful, sometimes funny and exhilarating action movie that stands out in the crowd. For the first time, the movie does not focus on Wolverine, and instead focuses on two very interesting and popular characters in the franchise; Professor X (played by James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender). Obviously, they were just known as Charles Xavier and Eric Lensherr.

We see Eric back in Poland, 1944 when he was a child, a repeat scene we all saw back in the original 'X-Men' (2000), but we never saw what really happened after Eric's parents were taken away from him and why he became Magneto, Vaughn fills in that piece of the puzzle. It seems that there is a man named Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) who is fascinated with young Eric's powers and ability to manipulate metal, so he asks him to move a coin or his mother gets shot. Sounds easy? Nope. After he shoots Eric's mother, through anger it seems that Eric can manipulate metal if he is feeling that emotion.

We also meet young Charles Xavier, who at night, meets a young blue girl named Raven who has the ability to shape-shift into any other human being. Xavier is amazed that there is another mutant who can do extraordinary things as he is able to read minds and control people's thoughts...quite intelligent for a little boy.

What does amaze me is the great chemistry that James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender have as the two main characters, just like what Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen had in the original trilogy. They seem genuine as friends and you believe every line they say.

What also amazes me is how much this movie links into history, so the Marvel comics universe DOES interact with our real world. We see archive footage of President John F. Kennedy announcing how there is going to be a nuclear war and a possible start to World War III.

The cast is outstanding as well, after praising the two leads above, Jennifer Lawrence is great as Mystique, Nicholas Hoult makes a good young Beast and many more actors do their best with a strong script.

However, having said it is a strong script, it is a little cliched here and there and it isn't exactly as dark as the first two "X-Men" movies, but the action is clean, the story is well thought out and this is a satisfying entry into the franchise. It may be far from being the greatest "X-Men" movie, but it's still great and better than what Brett Ratner had up his sleeve.
russiangamerMar 5, 2017
Приквел лучше, чем все фильмы серии до него. Звёздный актёрский состав, потрясные эффекты, интересные диалоги и сюжет, даже юмора завезли, а так же очень понравилась музыка.
Отличное кино.
Отличное кино.
CineAutoctonoDec 2, 2015
X -Men : First Class talks about the origin of the most beloved mutant world , apart from the turtles was an amazing story. Where they were born , Professor X , Magneto , Mystique and Beast, for which survived , indeed Mc Avoy , Fassbender,X -Men : First Class talks about the origin of the most beloved mutant world , apart from the turtles was an amazing story. Where they were born , Professor X , Magneto , Mystique and Beast, for which survived , indeed Mc Avoy , Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence Hoult and to not waste their time . Expand
DanBurritoJun 14, 2016
With an action-packed plot, outstanding performances and plenty of character-driven drama, X-Men: First Class successfully breathes new life into the X-Men franchise. The whole cast (especially Fassbender, McAvoy and Lawrence) were excellent,With an action-packed plot, outstanding performances and plenty of character-driven drama, X-Men: First Class successfully breathes new life into the X-Men franchise. The whole cast (especially Fassbender, McAvoy and Lawrence) were excellent, allowing us to really feel for their characters. The action scenes were also impressively done. Various characters such as Mystique are made into stronger characters as their backstories are revealed. The only problem I had was that I found the villains (not including Magneto) a bit weak. Other than that, this was a fun, hugely satisfying prequel and one of the best X-Men movies to date. Expand
gdiego135Jan 16, 2016
I've never been a huge X men fan, but this movie was great. It's an awesome origin story, and the casting for Professor X and Magneto were perfect, more so Magneto, Michael Fassbender was the perfect actor for Magneto. This movie does haveI've never been a huge X men fan, but this movie was great. It's an awesome origin story, and the casting for Professor X and Magneto were perfect, more so Magneto, Michael Fassbender was the perfect actor for Magneto. This movie does have it's flaws though. Like some of the new mutants are just dumb and make no sense, and the casting for them wasn't great either, like Havok, angel, and banshee, they're all just stupid annoying teenagers you see in every other movie. And also the way they made Beast look was very dumb, he's supposed to be the size of the Hulk, not a regular human. overall great movie with a few flaws. Expand
audreythomas25Mar 4, 2016
I have always been a fan of X-Men since I was little, back when they are just cartoons. I love this film, I think that James is so perfect for his role as Professor X.

Watch this movie online

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-1eaaf7-X-Men-First-Class-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
aadityamudharApr 18, 2016
ElectroNickMay 31, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "X-Men: First Class" was a nice step in the right direction to revive the X-Men franchise. This film serves as both a prequel and a reboot as we see how the X-men are first formed and the beginning of the rivalry between Magneto and Xavier. The set-up is new but familiar as the new actors perfectly capture the essence of these characters very well. Jennifer Lawrence in particular captures the loneliness of Mystique as she is portrayed in a more sympathetic light as opposed to being the generic assassin. Her relationship with Xavier and Magneto is compelling to watch as she is unsure what to think and the final choice to join Magneto is genuinely heart-wrenching. Xavier is given more depth as he is younger and more careless in this film due to his inexperience being the leader of the X-Men. Magneto is still the humanity hating villain as he was in the other films but this was the first time audiences are introduced to him having a conflict between his own ideals and ideals. In fact the film is at its strongest points when it focuses on Xavier and Magneto's relationship as they have a strong respect for one another which makes the break up all the more heart-breaking. I also respect the decision to have the titular "First Class" be comprised of more obscure mutants such as Banshee and Pixie. This gives fans of these characters a chance to finally see them on the big screen and average audience members some more variety with the mutants on screen and each of these mutants are memorable. However there are a few problems with this film that keeps it from being even better. For instance the new mutant Darwin had potential to be an interesting character with his ability to adapt to any environment but he is instantly killed off which was a waste. The new characters are memorable but there back story is swept under the rug which would make causal fans of the franchise confused in regards to who they are. Kevin Bacon tries to play as the slimy Sebastion Shaw but Bacon is just one of those actors who is known for playing the nice guy and his performance is pretty unconvincing. Despite these flaws this film is a nice renewal for the franchise and can introduce new comers to the franchise. Expand
spacebear1Dec 9, 2017
Matthew Vaughn's X-Men: First Class is an outstanding prequel/reboot of the X-Men series. All of the characters were great,especially Michael Fassbender's Erik Lensherr and James McAvoy's Charles Xavier. The villains, The Hellfire Club, wereMatthew Vaughn's X-Men: First Class is an outstanding prequel/reboot of the X-Men series. All of the characters were great,especially Michael Fassbender's Erik Lensherr and James McAvoy's Charles Xavier. The villains, The Hellfire Club, were pretty cool but had room for improvement. The action sequences were very well directed and in the end, this is a fantastic film. My rating would be an 8.9/10 Expand
FullMetalWeskerDec 4, 2012
This movie had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it didn't quite realise it completely. While there are a few pros; McAvoy and Fassbender are great as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, and likewise their scenes are the highlight of theThis movie had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it didn't quite realise it completely. While there are a few pros; McAvoy and Fassbender are great as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, and likewise their scenes are the highlight of the movie for me. Some of the other characters were also somewhat interesting, such as Beastman, and Mystique, and the special effects during the fight scenes are at the usual standard for X-men films. However, swirled in with all that are: a wafer-thin plot that serves as nothing more than a backdrop for the characters to move around in, a (possibly intended) campy feel throughout large parts of the film, and a few major characters who have nothing to them apart from unique powers (see: Majority of the villains). It's disappointing that so few of the characters were really even touched on, let alone fleshed out, as this seems more than anything a character-focused piece, and I hope that the planned sequel, Days of Future Past, focuses more on fleshing these super-powered characters out, and exploring the different sides to them, rather than leaving them as one-dimensional walking super powers. Another flaw I noticed was the scale. Using an event like the Cuban Missile Crisis might've sounded good on paper, but it caused the film to move through a bit too much too quickly, which may be the cause for the lack of character interaction and depth. It might've been better to use another event that's easier to work with, such as the Cold War in general, and the unease and paranoia that was prevalent throughout. Again hopefully the sequel does this, and allows more breathing space for the characters who aren't named Charles Xavier or Magneto (though even they didn't quite get as much as they could)
Overall though, it's a fairly decent action blockbuster, filled with a few nice action scenes and sprinkled with good character moments throughout and although it isn't quite as interesting as it could have been, it's still worthy of at least a rental to the general movie-goer.
ArkonBladeSep 15, 2011
its not a bad x-men film far better then 3 thats for sure. the story is pretty good . the acting is pretty solid, the action and effects look pretty good. what kind of wrecks the film is the bunch of lame ass x-men they came up with .its not a bad x-men film far better then 3 thats for sure. the story is pretty good . the acting is pretty solid, the action and effects look pretty good. what kind of wrecks the film is the bunch of lame ass x-men they came up with . proffersor x , magneto , beast , raven , frost , and who ever kevin bacon is suppose to be are great. the rest how ever are just lame . if your a fan of the other 3 films you will probubly like this one as well. over all i enjoyed most of it. Expand
frugal_froggerJun 14, 2011
Although I don't necessarily agree with where the series is heading (no spoilers, just a general comment), I can appreciate the special effects, outstanding music composition, casting, and other things like that which make the film a lot ofAlthough I don't necessarily agree with where the series is heading (no spoilers, just a general comment), I can appreciate the special effects, outstanding music composition, casting, and other things like that which make the film a lot of fun to watch. I just didn't envision the comics being taken away from the artistic nature they had originally had intented -- but maybe that's just me! Expand
KarthXLRJun 3, 2011
While it's story may be told ham-handedly, the characters are fun, the action is thrilling, and it's much better than the last two movies. I have gripes, but I'll get to them later. Saw it at midnight, so I'll finish this up tomorrow.
JacobMar 9, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On the whole I enjoyed this film. I will admit that the film drags a bit and is confusing to start off with and that the plot is rushed a bit for the sake of tying it into the other films; but I feel that we still got some good stuff. The redeeming factor of this film is the take on the characters specifically Xavier, Magneto, and Mistique. I enjoyed watching these characters and cared about some of them more so than the original X-Men. Even though this plot feels condencesed I still would like to see another movie with these characters, which it looks like we will be getting sort of with X-Men Days of Future Past, which will hopefully will be good. If you’re a fan of the X-Men movies check this one out because you may like it. Even if you are not a fan of the previous ones I am going to say watch it because it is different from the other ones. It provides an interesting take on characters we know and love and is enjoyable. Again what ruins it is the rushed ending but if you look past that you will enjoy the film. Is this a great film no but it is a good one, which is something that a lot of movies cannot be. Expand
vernJun 19, 2011
X-Men: First Class is good, slick summer entertainment that doesn't require you to turn your brain off. It has good pacing, good acting, and most importantly, good action! If you are a big movie-goer, go check this one out at the movies ifX-Men: First Class is good, slick summer entertainment that doesn't require you to turn your brain off. It has good pacing, good acting, and most importantly, good action! If you are a big movie-goer, go check this one out at the movies if you haven't yet, and if you're not, it's at least worth renting. Expand
BikerjamesJun 6, 2011
For me, it was good but not as good as the first two. Hugh Jackman's sense of humor is missing in this installment. In fact, the 10 second cameo by Hugh Jackman in this film was my favorite part of the entire movie. Mostly drama and goodFor me, it was good but not as good as the first two. Hugh Jackman's sense of humor is missing in this installment. In fact, the 10 second cameo by Hugh Jackman in this film was my favorite part of the entire movie. Mostly drama and good to great special effects. Overall a solid effort, but not particularly memorable. Expand
SabinFrostJan 20, 2012
Honestly, I had a few gripes, but in spite of this, it was a very enjoyable film. Don't take 7 out of ten to be poor score by any means, the film was full of memorable moments and characters, at the conclusion I felt regret that the ride hadHonestly, I had a few gripes, but in spite of this, it was a very enjoyable film. Don't take 7 out of ten to be poor score by any means, the film was full of memorable moments and characters, at the conclusion I felt regret that the ride had come to an end, something that is always a hallmark of a good film. Wonderful acting, and special effects that reached expectation for a film of this caliber were unfortunately let down by a few elements of the plot that felt rather shallow, or tacked on. Without spoilers, by far the weakest element of the plot was the female FBI agent, something that really could have been left without, leaving many cringeworthy moments in the film and tainting what could of otherwise been a predictable, but enjoyable conclusion. A few of the relationships, by far the standout aspect of the film, could definitely have been explored further, and while the limitations of film length were present, if you are like me you'll be begging for more sections of dialogue. As is epidemic of many hollywood films, especially superhero ones of late, this is a great tale, which unfortunately despite strong beginnings and an enticing mid-section falls apart towards the end. Expand
jediboyJun 6, 2011
Its slick. Very 1960's James Bond feel to the entire film. Set against the backdrop of the Cuban missile crisis and an escalating Cold War - we see the emergence of a privileged Charles Xavier, contrasted with a Holocaust-surviving Magneto.Its slick. Very 1960's James Bond feel to the entire film. Set against the backdrop of the Cuban missile crisis and an escalating Cold War - we see the emergence of a privileged Charles Xavier, contrasted with a Holocaust-surviving Magneto. While the other mutants are recruited and their back-stories and characters are fleshed out - you could really care less. This is really all about Magneto seeking vengeance and Charles trying to pacify and humanise him. Think Obi-Wan and Darth Vader.
Kevin Bacon excels in his part as the film's core villain. And there's even a Logan cameo for the fan-boys.
All in all a 7/10.
makrtik2Jun 14, 2011
This is an entertaining new chapter in an imaginative and interesting series. At times it appears to lien way to hard on stereotypes and cliches , but it still manages to convey the obvious core issues, and struggles, faced by anyone who isThis is an entertaining new chapter in an imaginative and interesting series. At times it appears to lien way to hard on stereotypes and cliches , but it still manages to convey the obvious core issues, and struggles, faced by anyone who is significantly different or, in some important way, more capable than those around them (the X-men vary from versions of Sheldon (from The Big Bang Theory), to versions of Victor Stallone (already on steroids, and trying our super-steroids) to a lap dancing Tinker Bell who throws fire balls... all engaged in a struggle for acceptance and survival, and the eternal question of whether to save 'normal humans' or make them extinct? All while fighting off bad mutants who want to exploit their abilities to eliminate the standard-humans and kill off those mutants who do not join the mutant mob. The bad mutants are giving good mutants a bad name, and destabilizing the already shaky relationship the good mutants have with non-mutant humanity. When all is said and done, it seems a reprise of the old story line, set in an earlier time with hotter younger characters... a good summer movie, if not a great new ground breaking movie. A lot of effort seems to have been given to amping up the seX-factor rather than on serious plot development. A go see it, but don't expect the wow-factor to be too high. Expand
TheQuietGamerOct 13, 2011
It's nice to see an X-Men movie that focuses on all the Mutants in the movie not just Wolverine, and that's the best part of this movie, the characters, particularly Charles and Eric's (better known as Professor X and Magneto) relationship,It's nice to see an X-Men movie that focuses on all the Mutants in the movie not just Wolverine, and that's the best part of this movie, the characters, particularly Charles and Eric's (better known as Professor X and Magneto) relationship, it portrays them as friends who benefit from each other, and also makes Magneto a much more sympathetic character who you just can't help but feel for, another noteworthy character is Mystique who's story is excellently crafted, and you can see that the writers put a lot of thought into it, and even tied it into historical events, but it's not really memorable, same goes for the action scenes, there just not all that interesting, and the whole movie outside of the fantastic characters just lacks any sort of pop or flare, and it doesn't really tie in well withe the other movies, but if you want to see different sides of your favorite characters, this is the movie for you, and in my opinion the best X-Men movie yet. Expand
FDT44Jun 14, 2011
"X-Men: First Class" stays true to its name as Marvel delivers a first-rate comic film that feels fresh, and takes us somewhere not seen before in the genre; orderly enough to satisfy the most zealous of fanboys, while remaining pliable to"X-Men: First Class" stays true to its name as Marvel delivers a first-rate comic film that feels fresh, and takes us somewhere not seen before in the genre; orderly enough to satisfy the most zealous of fanboys, while remaining pliable to welcome new fans in. What viewers will see is a product that embodies the shape of a bona fide origins film, one that gets to the crux of the mutant behind the powers, and occupies the gapping framework of derivation. The result is one that is heavier on ethos and lighter on au courant hoopla. The film owes kudos to a cast that couldn't have been picked with more discretion and vision. Each character knows their role, and each performs it as so. McAvoy and Fassbender really shine though, each man exhibiting a great deal of control and liberation; the execution feels like time well-spent. Lawrence, in support, also continues to establish herself as one of the up-and-coming actresses of our time--not to mention developing an image tantamount to her shape shifter self. Another clever slant I found delighting was a question of mine that I had always tangled with: do the mutants coexist with historical events? The fusion of biopic-fiction is done both adeptly, and for the casual, benighted, social-media American, almost feasibly. This is driven by time-specific (very interesting and effective use of the 60's era) video and audio that enhances the film's presentation. In closing, the fifth (first) installment of the 'X' series is by far the greatest of achievements, superceding anything ever attempted by Ratner, less grave and malicious (more warm and affectionate) than Singer, and much more enjoyable from start to end. Expand
2GUI2Jul 11, 2011
While I was watching this recent motion-picture all I could think about was that I seem to be enjoying it a bit; that I wasnâ
AmmonJun 16, 2011
It was a fantastic portrayal of the beginning of Xavier and Magnito. Unfortunately it had to go and spoil and perfect story with an over the top ending. It almost had me.