Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: July 14, 2000
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 500 Ratings
WATCH NOW
[Anonymous]Aug 29, 2005
The Spiderman films are the modern crown jewels of the Marvel films, but this X-men stuff, it's not bad. Deals a lot with prejudice and minorities, and issues of such (starts off in WW2, for heaven's sake). THe action's The Spiderman films are the modern crown jewels of the Marvel films, but this X-men stuff, it's not bad. Deals a lot with prejudice and minorities, and issues of such (starts off in WW2, for heaven's sake). THe action's decent, but I yearned for Yuen Mo Ping's choreography (The Matrix, Crouching tiger hidden dragon). Not bad at all. Expand
3 of 3 users found this helpful
Spielberg00Aug 8, 2011
Like SPIDER-MAN and its very simply-named sequels, X-MEN has a lot of action that looks like it's straight out of a comic book that it is based on, something that in my opinion is concise and perfect for the viewer to see. Unlike SPIDER-MAN,Like SPIDER-MAN and its very simply-named sequels, X-MEN has a lot of action that looks like it's straight out of a comic book that it is based on, something that in my opinion is concise and perfect for the viewer to see. Unlike SPIDER-MAN, SPIDER-MAN 2, and SPIDER-MAN 3, X-MEN is not your typical, cheesy "superhero" flick. If anything, it's much better. Besides the magnificent action, there is a well-explained, clear plot (obviously the inspiration for James Patterson's teen book saga MAXIMUM RIDE, if you are familiar with that); a few pinches of humor here and there (you'll have to watch it to get it); and much more. Expand
TokyochuchuDec 31, 2013
X-Men is a very solid super hero flick. Some criticism could be leveled in it's direction concerning a lack of depth, but everything has to start somewhere.
HappymonkNov 23, 2011
I quite liked this film, it (mostly) got the feel of the X-men well. The acting was good and the storyline was decent. Not anything more than a 7 out of ten though, just doesn't seem right to give it a better score.
YellowKirbyJun 3, 2016
X-Men is fun and enjoyable, with a great cast (Especially Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart), although its visuals haven't aged well and the fight scenes aren't the most exciting. Although this is made up for with good, memorableX-Men is fun and enjoyable, with a great cast (Especially Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart), although its visuals haven't aged well and the fight scenes aren't the most exciting. Although this is made up for with good, memorable characters and a decent plot. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 21, 2011
The movie pertains flawed graphics and hurriedly finished character development. However, "X Men" is nevertheless one of the grand comic-based movies of the proud Marvel Studios.
ManveerR.Feb 18, 2006
Great movie and great action!
2 of 3 users found this helpful
gm101Jun 22, 2011
This masterpiece is the movie that unleashed the superhero renaissance of the 2000s. As someone who enjoyed X-Men as a kid, I was super excited when I heard they were making a movie, and the movie was indeed worth it.
IreneB.Aug 20, 2002
Perfect. I got bored at first but the other 3/4 was really great! too great that i'm addicted to it. hugh jackman terrifies me! he's so sexy!
0 of 1 users found this helpful
MatthewL.Mar 14, 2004
Excellent.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
MovieLonely94Nov 7, 2010
great adaptation of the comics
MusicJJJSep 21, 2011
ZilcellMay 25, 2012
The action scenes could be better but the overall story here is top notch.
homer4presidentMar 15, 2015
This cool superhero flick regenerates the genre for both Marvel and the 21st century, and also a good start for both and the masterfully-handled series.
DanBurritoDec 30, 2015
X-Men is an interesting film and a solid start to the franchise. Wolverine was my favourite character. Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart gave impressive performances as Magneto and Professor X and I liked how they kept it short and fast pacedX-Men is an interesting film and a solid start to the franchise. Wolverine was my favourite character. Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart gave impressive performances as Magneto and Professor X and I liked how they kept it short and fast paced rather than dragging out the climax and making it longer than necessary. The concept was intriguing and well-executed. Magneto was a very good villain and a cool evil parallel to Professor X. There were a few weak points but overall, it was an enjoyable, fun superhero movie that made me curious about the rest of the series. Expand
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
“X-Men” is certainly no campstrosity a la “Battlefield Earth,” the sci-fi actioner that’s going to be making all others look decent by comparison for quite some time. Indeed, pic’s main plus can only be defined in a sort of backhanded“X-Men” is certainly no campstrosity a la “Battlefield Earth,” the sci-fi actioner that’s going to be making all others look decent by comparison for quite some time. Indeed, pic’s main plus can only be defined in a sort of backhanded compliment: It’s seldom ludicrous or laughable, no small achievement given the cartoonish material. Yet the somber tone helmer Singer shoots for here does little good, given that story, set pieces and production design never kick into an engrossing, exciting or stylish high gear.

“X-Men” plays like a so-so middle chapter of an epic series rather than a fitting kickoff. Premise and characters are intro’d in desultory fashion, with little momentum toward a climactic good vs. bad faceoff, which advances the story so little that the preceding two hours are rendered almost irrelevant.

Ominously dumb/dour first reel commences with opening-credit computer graphics illustrating the voiceover idea that once in a while species’ evolution speeds up — the only significant explanation we’ll get about humanity’s new minority “mutant” population in the “not too distant future.” After this fanciful eye candy, there’s a cut directly to 1944 Poland, where Jews are being herded into a Nazi concentration camp. Torn from his parents, who are hustled toward a building with a smokestack, young Magneto (Brett Morris) uses magnetic powers to destroy the gate that separates them.

The seg’s solemn bad taste (“Schindler’s List” + “Carrie” = Not a Good Idea) portends the pic’s biggest overall problem: It presents far-fetched incidents with a seriousness unballasted by sufficient buildup, context or emotional investment.

We then jump to present-day Mississippi, where high school teen Marie (Anna Paquin) reluctantly acquiesces to a make-out session with her b.f.; but her touch has a dangerous, if inadvertent, effect on him. Meanwhile, U.S. Sen. Kelly (Bruce Davison) is fanning the flames of public hysteria, calling for all mutant humans to be unmasked, incarcerated and stripped of their rights as citizens until their powers can be analyzed and controlled.

Now called Rogue and dressed like a glum Little Red Riding Hood, Marie has become a runaway — like many maladjusted, picked-on mutant kids. She meets hirsute Logan, aka Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), whose extraordinary strength (from inlaid-steel musculature) pays the bills in saloon betting fights. The duo suffer a road accident and are pounced on by bad mutants, albeit saved in the nick by good ‘uns.

They wake in the lair of chief good mutant Xavier (Patrick Stewart), whose palatial School for Gifted Youngsters sits atop a subterranean mutant HQ. Xavier’s goal is developing each mutant’s special skills while engineering a peaceable integration with mainstream society. The new arrivals are relieved to find they’re not such lone freaks after all, given introduction to such fellow mutants as the telepathic/telekinetic Jean (Famke Janssen), her ocular-overachieving b.f., Cyclops (James Marsden), and the self-explanatory climate controller Storm (Halle Berry in a platinum wig).

Xavier’s biggest problem is longtime friend-turned-nemesis, Magneto (Ian McKellen), who anticipates a global mutants vs. normals war, and indeed seems to be hurrying that prospect along with a not-so-hidden agenda. Magneto’s malevolent sidekicks consist of animalistic predator Sabretooth (wrestler Tyler Mane), agile-tongued Toad (Ray Park, “Phantom Menace’s” Death Maul) and sinuous changeling Mystique (supermodel Rebecca Romijn-Stamos).

When Rogue, captured after an ill-advised runaway effort, is held in the torch chamber of the Statue of Liberty — giving “The Patriot” a run for its money in the heavy-handed flag-waving department — her fate is determined in a climactic battle as international diplomats congregate for a World Summit on Ellis Island.

Unlike, say, Tim Burton’s “Batman” films (or such like-minded exercises as “Dark City,” “The Crow” and “The Matrix”), “X-Men” lacks directorial and visual design cohesion, and a singular, haunted emotional center to make its brooding tenor more than just a fashionable attitude.

Though fast paced and reasonably entertaining, pic never exhilarates or finds a distinctive style in successive action segs, which range from straight-up road chases to f/x extravaganzas (most arresting being a bit in which Magneto turns a police legion’s weaponry against it). Whether large scale or small, effects are well handled, but their technological crazy quilt (morphing, animation, models, etc.) underlines the overall lack of stylistic-narrative focus. Most dismaying misstep is the so-what conclusion, which provides zero resolution or lingering suspense.
EmmaB.Aug 31, 2002
The start of REAL uncartoony movies of superheros. Plus, Hugh Jackman is seriously sexy!
AndreyK.May 2, 2003
Hotj ja nesmotrel jego , no govorjat real
ChristineB.Jun 29, 2001
It's one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. The chemistry between Rogue and Logan is amazing.
TheMulroneycakesVersionMay 5, 2003
Who the hell decided to call the sequel "X2: X-Men United" in America? Here in Blighty it's got a proper name ("X-Men 2", like duh), but what with that, and "Sorceror's Stone" rather than "Philosopher's" and the Anna Nicole Who the hell decided to call the sequel "X2: X-Men United" in America? Here in Blighty it's got a proper name ("X-Men 2", like duh), but what with that, and "Sorceror's Stone" rather than "Philosopher's" and the Anna Nicole Show and everything, there's no respect for anyone's intelligence in the US anymore. Er, anyway. X1, then. It's good: not quite great but damn near it. Bryan Singer takes the big cow by the sharp implements here, giving us a blockbuster with a brain - something that, what with Lord O' The Rings, Minority Report and Spider-Man, is becoming less frequent all the time. It has CHARACTERS, and everything! Whoop-de-doo! Apparently the sequel's a bit of alright also, but I in't seen it yet. If this is anything to go by, it should at least look nice. Expand
AndrewMJul 19, 2004
The earnestness of Spiderman didn't convince me, but the same feel applied to X-Men is much more effective. It's the type of comic storyline that is suited by such a style and atmosphere. Here we are not just reading or watching a The earnestness of Spiderman didn't convince me, but the same feel applied to X-Men is much more effective. It's the type of comic storyline that is suited by such a style and atmosphere. Here we are not just reading or watching a comic and its' characters, but it's happening to us, we experience it, and the plot and writing support that all the way. It also strikes a great balance throughout, in the action, the drama, the humour, and everything in between. Great filmmaking, casting and acting - it's a very immersing experience. Expand
JosieP.Jan 21, 2001
By far the best "comic book" movie ever made. Famke Jannsen is excellent.
EileenAug 29, 2002
It was cool. I haven't seen it in a while. I saw it about a year ago wwith my ex.
JacobMay 14, 2014
The film lacks a lot of action but it makes up for it with an engaging story and some entertaining characters. The films premise and morals give this movie some substance, the main characters (especially the villain and Wolverine) are great,The film lacks a lot of action but it makes up for it with an engaging story and some entertaining characters. The films premise and morals give this movie some substance, the main characters (especially the villain and Wolverine) are great, and the effects are pretty good. At times this film can feel like a giant prologue but I think it stands well enough on its own. This is a pretty good movie taking something as silly as characters in a comic book and adapting them to film and making it work. This is one of the films that started the superhero movie craze and I can see why. This is a pretty good movie that is definitely worth your time to watch. Expand
ATsushiMay 30, 2016
A serious and pulled science fiction tone, director Bryan Singer hits in adapting the most famous team in the comic film that made possible the birth of the genre.
HalfwelshmanJun 17, 2011
It's always challenging to get a new franchise off the ground, and especially if it's part of a genre that's been absent (or rare) for a few years. X-Men only the second big-budget Marvel film adaptation (following Blade a couple of yearsIt's always challenging to get a new franchise off the ground, and especially if it's part of a genre that's been absent (or rare) for a few years. X-Men only the second big-budget Marvel film adaptation (following Blade a couple of years before), and the only notable superhero film series prior to this were the Superman films of the 70s and 80s and the Burton/Schumacher Batman films of the 80s and 90s. The task of kick-starting a new trend in blockbuster filmmaking fell to Bryan Singer, who succeeded with aplomb. X-Men is dark, brooding and fun. Strong central performances from Jackman, Stewart, McKellen and Paquin emotionally ground the film. The fight scenes and effects are more interesting than groundbreaking, but they would be perfected in the sequel X2. The only main problems with X-Men is some wooden dialogue and a surprisingly underwhelming and predictable finale. It's not a film every superhero movie up to the present is trying to equal, but one that many have surpassed (including it's own sequel). X-Men is a competent enough, and often extremely entertaining film, but only begins to scratch the surface of the superhero blockbuster's potential. Expand
filmtrashreviewJun 8, 2011
It has been a while since I have seen any of the X-Men Movies and I have to admit that I am a sucker for them. Overall the original was amazing and the only problem with the film is the limited amount of likable characters. The only oneIt has been a while since I have seen any of the X-Men Movies and I have to admit that I am a sucker for them. Overall the original was amazing and the only problem with the film is the limited amount of likable characters. The only one person that I cared for was Sookie Stackhouse from True Blood who always ends up hanging out with these strange crowds. Expand
colten97Jun 10, 2011
The story is faithful to the comic books and, while the movie may be too Wolverine centered, it packs a freaky punch that is sure to excite the average moviegoer.
heybuddymoviesAug 1, 2011
Most all reviewers I have read will disagree with me here and say its first sequel was the better film, but for me this first X-men movie was the best. I remember watching the X-men cartoon on Fox and a lot older than I should have been whenMost all reviewers I have read will disagree with me here and say its first sequel was the better film, but for me this first X-men movie was the best. I remember watching the X-men cartoon on Fox and a lot older than I should have been when watching it. While watching that cartoon, I wondered what it would be like to have a movie version of what I was watching. Could it be done? Bryan Singer came along a few years later and showed me it could. I remember seeing an early picture of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and thinking â Expand
jos95Aug 27, 2011
A great superhero movie with a lot of interesting subtexts and a really extraordinary concept. This is probably the only movie out there where teenage angst actually works, the cast mostly work - with the exception of Halle Berry who was justA great superhero movie with a lot of interesting subtexts and a really extraordinary concept. This is probably the only movie out there where teenage angst actually works, the cast mostly work - with the exception of Halle Berry who was just bland. The plot was very intricately done as there are at least four sub-plots and all the characters are fleshed out yet the film never gets convoluted nor its pace bogged down. It did get a bit predictable and the visual effects were inconsistent, but overall love it!! Highly recommended. Expand
EssenceOfSugarAug 17, 2012
This film is amazing! The characters were awesome and the genetic code plot was very well crafted! Good choice of actors - it was good to see actors other than American ones at the top of the list. I think these films will grow on me, I can'tThis film is amazing! The characters were awesome and the genetic code plot was very well crafted! Good choice of actors - it was good to see actors other than American ones at the top of the list. I think these films will grow on me, I can't wait for the next ones. Partly fascinating, partly disturbing, partly funny, partly almost everything. Not to mention, Hugh Jackman is incredibly sexy as Wolverine. Damn. Expand
StevenFMay 24, 2013
To agree with another review, this film was certainly the kick-starter if you will to a surge in superhero films that have now lasted 13 years later...yes, this film is that old, but it certainly doesn't show it.
X-Men stays true its roots
X-Men stays true its roots but also brings the franchise into a new generation, with various callbacks to the older comic books and subtle pop cultured dialogue mixed into the very dialogued yet visually stunning film.
Marie, or Rogue (Anna Paquin) is your typical teenager making plans for life while moving ever closer to boys, but when touches anyone else's skin, she realises she has an extraordinary yet deadly and burdening power, sucking the energy out of the one she touches.
Deciding she is better off away from those she loves, she meets an isolated and run down man with extraordinary abilities, these people are called mutants, and there is more than she thinks, this one in particular is arguably the most famous, played by Hugh Jackman we are introduced to Logan, better known as Wolverine.
When they are rescued after an attack, they soon learn about Charles Xavier, Professor X (Patrick Stewart), and his school of young mutants, hoping to harness their powers, but on the other side of the war against the humans is Magneto (Ian McKellan) who believes that if the humans ever pass laws for mutant registration, the mutants will no longer be safe.
The film expertly tells a story where we are never quite sure whose side to be on, the heart says this and the brain says that sort of scenario, which is truly down to the wonderful acting at play here, especially from Jackman, Stewart and McKellan, who create this very predicament.
The film is not without its flaws, as many have said, it does always begin to build up to something that we know we aren't going to see, and there is very heavy focus on certain characters, where the film could have worked with a wider array of the X-Men.
The special effects are magnificent to watch, whether Storm (Halle Berry) is creating thunder and lightning in the sky or the beautiful shape-shifter Mystique is taking various forms to suit her goal, this is truly a stepping stone to what many superhero films in the years that followed aspired to.
A solid starting point for the band of mutants, with well written and humorous moments blended in with groundbreaking special effects that can only get better, and characters that can only become more appealing and heroic.
Tss5078Feb 24, 2013
I'd actually never seen the first x-men movie. It defiantly filled in the holes I had from the other movies. In general, I am not a fan of superhero movies, they are ridiculous and usually don't have any kind of a decent plot, this movie isI'd actually never seen the first x-men movie. It defiantly filled in the holes I had from the other movies. In general, I am not a fan of superhero movies, they are ridiculous and usually don't have any kind of a decent plot, this movie is different. The story is about fighting discrimination, something many of us can easily relate to...and while the special effects are way over the top, they are most defiantly unique. Hugh Jackman as Wolverine makes the movie and his interplay with cyclops was genius. The second one is still my favorite, but this one was still really good. I highly recommend both it and the rest of the trilogy. Expand
NecromusDec 6, 2012
Exactly what I would expect for a super-hero movie. Lots of action, great special effects, great acting, in particular: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as Xavier and Ian McKellen as Magneto are great! I have never read the comicsExactly what I would expect for a super-hero movie. Lots of action, great special effects, great acting, in particular: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as Xavier and Ian McKellen as Magneto are great! I have never read the comics so I don't know how it compares to those but the characters behaved how I expected from watching the cartoons as a kid and also from how my friends described them from the comics and how they looked from the comics my friends showed me. An entertaining movie, and one of the better super-hero movies I have seen. Expand
dante_finnJul 5, 2013
Really good acting,writing,music,costume,visuals and action. But the CGI effects and pacing is kind of ghetto..........................................
tomtom4468Feb 6, 2013
Amazing movie, this perfectly captures the awesomeness that is X-Men in 106 minutes of awesome. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are amazing. The movie leaves you wanting more.
LaGuertaFeb 27, 2013
The superior cast and well crafted dialogue doesn't quite quell the underwhelming feeling brought about by a story that should reflect the best of the comics, but instead is unfocused and flirts with mediocrity.
ScorpionMay 19, 2013
The first portion of the group of mutants begins well with a plot acceptable, with action scenes a bit outdated, but with a strong cast and a good exeplo how to start a franchise.
TheApplegnomeOct 16, 2014
One of the most unique and spectacular superhero movie that's been made.

One of the most unique and spectacular superhero movie that's been made.

X-Men is one heck of a ride, it’s so amazing. It highlights many ethical questions like how we define our species and how different we are from each other. It illustrates how people can react to the unknown, in this case mutants. X-Men is a powerful movie with groovy action sequences, and there’s always something going on, so I never got bored! In might got some slow scenes but it totally is a great superhero film! The opening scene and the ending are both great and the CGI is incredible, much better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The film is overall very unique and it’s also highly entertaining. The actors are all incredible, the best are of course Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. Anna Paquin as Rouge might be a less perfect actor, but in the end is she okay. The story of X-Men is superb, and you can in a way interact with the main villain and why he do what he do. The soundtrack isn’t as powerful as I would define as awesome, but it’s close!

X-Men is a spectacular film that’s got wonderful actors and a wonderful story. It’s so great!

X-Men get a 8/10
SuperheroMoviesAug 17, 2013
Although some of the special effects tend to feel dated, overall, the film delivers with stylish action, dedicated performances, and a well constructed story that'll leave audiences wanting more.
MamaTLFNov 2, 2013
A movie wit good cast, good effects (although outdated by now), and a good storyline and packed with action. But it suffers from generic clichés like most movies out there nowadays although unlike them it has the little things that iA movie wit good cast, good effects (although outdated by now), and a good storyline and packed with action. But it suffers from generic clichés like most movies out there nowadays although unlike them it has the little things that i personally like to see in a movie and i don't see them very often. Expand
joao1198pedroOct 27, 2013
at this time the super heroe movies wasn´t as much popular as today,but this movie is absolutely great,is not the bestsuper heroe movie ever made but is an important film.
marcmyworksNov 13, 2013
A great film through and through. The point in which it suffers is the third act where it becomes clear that the producers didn't have the budget for all the powers they wanted to portray.
supermann234Dec 8, 2014
This is a pretty good movie with a good storyline. It starts off as a slow paced movie at first, and slowly gets more and more interesting. If you are an X-men fan, then you will probably like this movie.
diogomendesJul 7, 2014
Not a fan of X-Men, but this film comes with a satisfying plot (faithful to the comics), good action, good comedy and a good character development. Really good!
OpinionatedGuyAug 24, 2014
I never thought I would say this but X-Men is now one of my favorite superhero movies. I never paid attention to the X-Men series when I was a kid and now being a teenager I wish I had paid attention.

There was never a dull moment in this

There was never a dull moment in this movie which I think is why I love this movie so much. The movie was very fast-paced and it gets to the point of the story without indulging into many backstories.

The concept and the setting is awesome and clever and it made me wish I was a student of Professor X.

This movie also made me care about the characters even the ones from Magneto’s side. My favorite character in the entire movie is Professor X and his power to mind control everyone around him is the power I really wanted. I am glad Sir. Patrick Stewart took the role. I am having some cosplay ideas right now.

The humor of this movie is the reason why Marvel movies are so awesome. They don’t take itself too seriously despite the darkness in the tone of their movies.

The direction from Bryan Singer and the writing of the movie is great and awesome. Even for a movie that is released on 2000, the special effects were realistic.

It’s no wonder why people love the X-Men movies. I hope the next X-Men movie would be either great as this one or even better than this one.
ydnar4Feb 7, 2015
X-Men was a great way to kick off a to kick off the series. It introduced the all the characters that we have come to love over the years and they don't bite off more than they can chew. There are so many characters involved in with the X-MenX-Men was a great way to kick off a to kick off the series. It introduced the all the characters that we have come to love over the years and they don't bite off more than they can chew. There are so many characters involved in with the X-Men clan and it was a good idea to hold some of the characters off until later in the series so the audience doesn't have to wonder who is who. The movie's easy to understand and all the characters are portrayed beautifully. Patrick Stewart is great as Professor X and Hugh Jackman begins the role of a lifetime as Wolverine. Expand
McCrumReviewsAug 15, 2014
The first movie in the X-Men franchise is one of the best. It's fun, exciting, and full of ideas. Racism and equality is addressed throughout the movie. The humans hate the mutants, the mutants hate the humans, etc. The characters areThe first movie in the X-Men franchise is one of the best. It's fun, exciting, and full of ideas. Racism and equality is addressed throughout the movie. The humans hate the mutants, the mutants hate the humans, etc. The characters are excellently cast. By now, we all know that Hugh Jackman is definitely the only person who could play Wolverine, and Ian McKellen shines as Magneto. It's a good movie, and definitely one of the better Marvel movies I've seen. Expand
UltimateBubFeb 2, 2015
"X-Men" is a really good movie. The cast is OK, but they sure do their best to bring life to these uncanny characters. The story is pretty easy to follow, which is good too. Director Bryan Singer does a great job on creating empathy, and the"X-Men" is a really good movie. The cast is OK, but they sure do their best to bring life to these uncanny characters. The story is pretty easy to follow, which is good too. Director Bryan Singer does a great job on creating empathy, and the tone feels just right. Unfortunately, the movie strays a little bit from the comics, specially considering looks and relationships, but nonetheless, "X-Men" proves to be an interesting and exciting film for the general audience. Expand
MrMovieBuffMay 23, 2016
It's one thing adapting a single superhero onto the big screen, Richard Donner achieved this very well with his "Superman" films, and Tim Burton also did a respectable job with 'Batman' (1989). But to adapt a superhero ensemble film can beIt's one thing adapting a single superhero onto the big screen, Richard Donner achieved this very well with his "Superman" films, and Tim Burton also did a respectable job with 'Batman' (1989). But to adapt a superhero ensemble film can be tricky as there are so many characters, and so many powers to focus on. How can this be done seamlessly?

The answer can be found in Bryan Singer's 'X-Men', a movie that is carefully paced, has a strong, coherent narrative focus, and utilizes every different character to their best. The movie starts in Poland in 1944 during the intense age of the Holocaust, we see a young boy separated by his parents, and he tries to reach out for them in both sadness and anger. He discovers that he is able to bend the metal gate that was separating him from his parents, we know he is Magneto. A mutant that can control anything made of metal, or anything with metal inside it.

We cut to present day and meet a young teenage girl named Marie (Anna Paquin) who is hanging out with her boyfriend and when they share their first kiss, he begins to feel weak. We know that she is to become Rogue.

Telepathic mutant, Jean Grey (Famke Janssen) is presenting a keynote about how mutants should not be the victims of discrimination, and we also meet Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) who is trying to reason with an old friend, Erik aka "Magneto" (Ian McKellen). Erik believes that there is a war raging between mutants and humans, and wants the humans to fail as they have mistreated him in the past due to his mutant abilities.

Rogue runs far away from home and meets an animal-like mutant with the ability to heal fast, and has sharp blades that extend from his knuckles...his name is Logan aka "Wolverine" (Hugh Jackman). After getting into an accident, mutants Storm (Halle Berry) and Cyclops (James Marsden) take them to Professor X's school where Rogue will be educated and safe from discrimination, and Wolverine can learn about his past origins that he has no memory of.

Meanwhile, Magneto has planned to kidnap Senator Kelly (Bruce Davison) and teach him a lesson about discriminating mutants. Magneto, and his apprentices which include; Mystique (Rebecca Romijn), Toad (Ray Park) and Sabretooth (Tyler Mane) have developed a machine that, with the right mutant and their power, will have the ability to wipe out the population of the city.

The movie moves at a fast-paced, and at roughly 90 minutes, it seems too short. But, there is enough to see here, we understand the story very well, and director Bryan Singer, along with a talent cast, are able to craft an energetic, fun, thrill-ride of an adventure. The characters all blend together quite well, and It feels very grounded from time to time, almost realistic, as it does tie into history which we see from the beginning.

Also, the way it has this social commentary on how it deals with discrimination and out-casts, mutants are more than just harmful beings, or straight-up spandex superheroes, they're people too. Singer has made them as sympathetic as possible, and this is an example of a comic book movie done right.
Morbid_TzAug 7, 2015
One of the finest comic book movies that stands strong even 15 years after its release. With strong script, smart but at the same time simple plot and amazing cast, X-Men started the new age of comic book and superhero movies showing howOne of the finest comic book movies that stands strong even 15 years after its release. With strong script, smart but at the same time simple plot and amazing cast, X-Men started the new age of comic book and superhero movies showing how great these movies can be and how much potential they have. There are some moments that are maybe too cheesy for today's standards, but X-Men is for sure one of the finest CBMs. Expand
aadityamudharApr 18, 2016
EpicLadySpongeFeb 9, 2016
X-Men is enjoyable for every action fan out there. Take your time to see some action flick that actually works for exactly 2000 and still works as of this day.
BarneyOnMTFeb 7, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: How do you introduce multiple characters in one movie, who's relationships and situations all feel real? Bryan Singer knows how, thus 'X-Men' is a big achievement. Thanks to his direction and a great script, your connection toWHAT I LIKED: How do you introduce multiple characters in one movie, who's relationships and situations all feel real? Bryan Singer knows how, thus 'X-Men' is a big achievement. Thanks to his direction and a great script, your connection to each mutant is established expertly from the outset, to the point where you're so engaged with Wolverine and his associates, that I even got a bit emotional at the end. This connection you feel to everyone makes for an engaging movie, and it also ensures the whole film is more tense because you're so involved
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Whilst the characters are served beautifully, the actual plot is fairly poor and confusing, as are some of the gimicky sets, action pieces and special effects
VERDICT: A sensetive and character driven superhero movie that begins a franchise (and arguably a genre) in the best way possible.
FilmMasterEdJan 5, 2016
No summer-2000 epic has the geek posse hotter under its critical collarhan X-Men. Reaction on the Web ranges from "It sizzles" to "It sucks" or "It's just OK." The movie itself, adapted from the Marvel Comic series by co-writer and directorNo summer-2000 epic has the geek posse hotter under its critical collarhan X-Men. Reaction on the Web ranges from "It sizzles" to "It sucks" or "It's just OK." The movie itself, adapted from the Marvel Comic series by co-writer and director Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects), supports all three responses.

What sizzles? Start with Hugh Jackman as Logan, the X-Mann known as Wolverine. The Australian actor has snagged the juiciest role in the $75 million epic as the mutant with the short temper and the long metal claws. Jackman energizes X-Men with power doses of fire, flashy humor and sexual heat. Not bad for a PG-13 flick. At the school for gifted mutants run by Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart), Wolvie radiates bad attitude. He has no idea why his body can heal itself after suffering near-fatal wounds. Wolverine feels more than his claws rising when he sees Professor X's telekinetic babe apprentice, Jean Grey (Famke Janssen). But Jean already dates a mutant, Cyclops (James Marsden), who is so named because if he eyes you without wearingis visor, you're toast. Wolverine thinks Cyclops is a dick but develops tender feelings for Rogue (Anna Paquin), a teenager whose touch can absorb another mutant's power and put a mere human into aoma. The film boasts FX wonders — the stopping of a speeding bullet, train-station Armageddon, a fight between Wolverine and himself -- but Singer earns cheers for giving X-Men a haunted aura that honors its source.

What's just OK? The thin excuse for a plot. Sen. Kelly (Bruceavison) wants to pass a bill forcing mutants to register like child molesters. Prof. X calls it persecution. His old friend Magneto (Sir Ian McKellen) calls it war and plans a global takeover with the help of his team, the growling Sabretooth (Tyler Mane), the shape-shifting Mystique (Rebecca Romijn-Stamos) and the acrobatic Toad (Ray Park, Darth Maul in Phantom Menace, makes riveting use of his tongue as aethal weapon).

What sucks? Since it's Wolverine's movie, any X-Men or women who don't hinge directly on his story get short shrift. As Storm, Halle Berry can do neat tricks with weather, but her role is gone with the wind. It sucks that Stewart and McKellen, two superb actors, are underused. The film opens in a Polish death camp in 1944 to show Magneto as a child watching his parents being taken to the ovens, but since so little is made of Magneto later on, critics may rightly object to trivializing the Holocaust to serve a light entertainment that ends with a free-for-all at the Statue of Liberty. It sucks that this shoppily edited film appears rushed and incoherent in ways that cheat the story of its human resonance and the stunts of their anticipated pow. As for the ending, which shouts "sequel!," it's merely shameless. What sucks most about X-Men, for geeks and non-geeks alike, is that beneath its dazzling surface you can still see the dark tour de force that might have been.
CaillouPettisMay 18, 2016
Cheesy, but brilliant, X-Men (2000) delivers a truly intense story, bringing all the best X-Men characters to the big screen for the first time, including Wolverine, Cyclops, and even more!
ElectroNickMay 26, 2016
This was a good first taste of the X-Men film franchise under Bryan Singer's direction. It is not a classic like Spider-Man or Blade but it is still an engaging watch as it dives into the themes of prejudice and the relations between MutantsThis was a good first taste of the X-Men film franchise under Bryan Singer's direction. It is not a classic like Spider-Man or Blade but it is still an engaging watch as it dives into the themes of prejudice and the relations between Mutants and Mankind. The biggest strength with this film was the relationships between the characters especially with Rouge and Wolverine. They share a special father and daughter like relationship that is touching and hold the film despite some of the minor flaws. The costumes are not as colorful as their comic counterparts but they are passable considering the tone they are going for. All of the actors do a great job bringing the X-men and the Brother hood to the big screen especially Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Ian McKellen as Magneto. Mckellen in particular was the perfect casting choice as he captures the charisma and the extremism that makes him a compelling villain in the first place. Haley Berry is not the perfect Storm but she doesn't have that much screen time anyway. Despite how entertaining the chemistry of the chracters and the action sequences are there are some plot holes that hold it back from being a classic. It is unexplained how Mystique survived getting stabbed by Wolverine. She did shape shift into him but it was never stated that she could copy powers as well. I also wonder why they needed Rouge to power the machine which would turn all humans into mutants even though her power is to take them away. It could be inferred that Magneto wanted to exploit the glitch in the machine to kill all of the humans but is was left unclear. Another complaint narrative wise is that it is mostly set up for future events. The journey was a fun ride but the destination was not that spectacular. It is still a solid movie and it could be used as a good introduction to introduce people to the franchise. Expand
COOLQUINN17Jul 14, 2016
i can't believe the 3rd best X-men movie came out 16 years ago and this was the first in the series. I was thinking that i should do a review on X-men since it came out 16 years ago today. Bryan Singer is the director of this film and he doesi can't believe the 3rd best X-men movie came out 16 years ago and this was the first in the series. I was thinking that i should do a review on X-men since it came out 16 years ago today. Bryan Singer is the director of this film and he does a great job of staying true to the source material. The cast was perfect to play the characters (Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen nailed it the most), it was well paced, the fight scenes didn't disappoint, the visuals are great (they still are to this day) and it had a very interesting story. I thought the final fight could have been much better and much longer, not to say it was awful or anything but it was just a little disappointing. I also wished that there could of been more X-men members like Gambit, Beast and Jubilee, that would of been more awesome. Overall, X-men is not the best superhero film and not the best X-men movie (best X-men film goes to X-men Days of Future Past) but it's enjoyable and it's worth watching if your a fan of comic books. Expand
Castiel_AngelOct 15, 2016
This movie could have maybe had a slight improvement on the action scenes. Aside from that this is truly a top notch movie. Hugh Jackman is amazing as Wolverine.