8.0

Aug 29, 2005
    The Spiderman films are the modern crown jewels of the Marvel films, but this X-men stuff, it's not bad. Deals a lot with prejudice and minorities, and issues of such (starts off in WW2, for heaven's sake). THe action's decent, but I yearned for Yuen Mo Ping's choreography (The Matrix, Crouching tiger hidden dragon). Not bad at all.
  2. Jun 22, 2011
    This masterpiece is the movie that unleashed the superhero renaissance of the 2000s. As someone who enjoyed X-Men as a kid, I was super excited when I heard they were making a movie, and the movie was indeed worth it.
  3. Aug 8, 2011
    Like SPIDER-MAN and its very simply-named sequels, X-MEN has a lot of action that looks like it's straight out of a comic book that it is based on, something that in my opinion is concise and perfect for the viewer to see. Unlike SPIDER-MAN, SPIDER-MAN 2, and SPIDER-MAN 3, X-MEN is not your typical, cheesy "superhero" flick. If anything, it's much better. Besides the magnificent action,Like SPIDER-MAN and its very simply-named sequels, X-MEN has a lot of action that looks like it's straight out of a comic book that it is based on, something that in my opinion is concise and perfect for the viewer to see. Unlike SPIDER-MAN, SPIDER-MAN 2, and SPIDER-MAN 3, X-MEN is not your typical, cheesy "superhero" flick. If anything, it's much better. Besides the magnificent action, there is a well-explained, clear plot (obviously the inspiration for James Patterson's teen book saga MAXIMUM RIDE, if you are familiar with that); a few pinches of humor here and there (you'll have to watch it to get it); and much more. Expand
  4. Sep 21, 2011
    The movie pertains flawed graphics and hurriedly finished character development. However, "X Men" is nevertheless one of the grand comic-based movies of the proud Marvel Studios.
  5. ManveerR.
    Feb 18, 2006
    Great movie and great action!
  6. IreneB.
    Aug 20, 2002
    Perfect. I got bored at first but the other 3/4 was really great! too great that i'm addicted to it. hugh jackman terrifies me! he's so sexy!
  7. MatthewL.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Excellent.
  8. EmmaB.
    Aug 31, 2002
    The start of REAL uncartoony movies of superheros. Plus, Hugh Jackman is seriously sexy!
  9. AndreyK.
    May 2, 2003
    Hotj ja nesmotrel jego , no govorjat real
  10. ChristineB.
    Jun 29, 2001
    It's one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. The chemistry between Rogue and Logan is amazing.
  11. TheMulroneycakesVersion
    May 5, 2003
    Who the hell decided to call the sequel "X2: X-Men United" in America? Here in Blighty it's got a proper name ("X-Men 2", like duh), but what with that, and "Sorceror's Stone" rather than "Philosopher's" and the Anna Nicole Show and everything, there's no respect for anyone's intelligence in the US anymore. Er, anyway. X1, then. It's good: not quite great but Who the hell decided to call the sequel "X2: X-Men United" in America? Here in Blighty it's got a proper name ("X-Men 2", like duh), but what with that, and "Sorceror's Stone" rather than "Philosopher's" and the Anna Nicole Show and everything, there's no respect for anyone's intelligence in the US anymore. Er, anyway. X1, then. It's good: not quite great but damn near it. Bryan Singer takes the big cow by the sharp implements here, giving us a blockbuster with a brain - something that, what with Lord O' The Rings, Minority Report and Spider-Man, is becoming less frequent all the time. It has CHARACTERS, and everything! Whoop-de-doo! Apparently the sequel's a bit of alright also, but I in't seen it yet. If this is anything to go by, it should at least look nice. Expand
  12. AndrewM
    Jul 19, 2004
    The earnestness of Spiderman didn't convince me, but the same feel applied to X-Men is much more effective. It's the type of comic storyline that is suited by such a style and atmosphere. Here we are not just reading or watching a comic and its' characters, but it's happening to us, we experience it, and the plot and writing support that all the way. It also strikes a The earnestness of Spiderman didn't convince me, but the same feel applied to X-Men is much more effective. It's the type of comic storyline that is suited by such a style and atmosphere. Here we are not just reading or watching a comic and its' characters, but it's happening to us, we experience it, and the plot and writing support that all the way. It also strikes a great balance throughout, in the action, the drama, the humour, and everything in between. Great filmmaking, casting and acting - it's a very immersing experience. Expand
  13. JosieP.
    Jan 21, 2001
    By far the best "comic book" movie ever made. Famke Jannsen is excellent.
  14. Eileen
    Aug 29, 2002
    It was cool. I haven't seen it in a while. I saw it about a year ago wwith my ex.
  15. May 14, 2014
    The film lacks a lot of action but it makes up for it with an engaging story and some entertaining characters. The films premise and morals give this movie some substance, the main characters (especially the villain and Wolverine) are great, and the effects are pretty good. At times this film can feel like a giant prologue but I think it stands well enough on its own. This is a pretty goodThe film lacks a lot of action but it makes up for it with an engaging story and some entertaining characters. The films premise and morals give this movie some substance, the main characters (especially the villain and Wolverine) are great, and the effects are pretty good. At times this film can feel like a giant prologue but I think it stands well enough on its own. This is a pretty good movie taking something as silly as characters in a comic book and adapting them to film and making it work. This is one of the films that started the superhero movie craze and I can see why. This is a pretty good movie that is definitely worth your time to watch. Expand
  16. Nov 7, 2010
    great adaptation of the comics
  17. Dec 31, 2013
    X-Men is a very solid super hero flick. Some criticism could be leveled in it's direction concerning a lack of depth, but everything has to start somewhere.
  18. Jun 17, 2011
    It's always challenging to get a new franchise off the ground, and especially if it's part of a genre that's been absent (or rare) for a few years. X-Men only the second big-budget Marvel film adaptation (following Blade a couple of years before), and the only notable superhero film series prior to this were the Superman films of the 70s and 80s and the Burton/Schumacher Batman films ofIt's always challenging to get a new franchise off the ground, and especially if it's part of a genre that's been absent (or rare) for a few years. X-Men only the second big-budget Marvel film adaptation (following Blade a couple of years before), and the only notable superhero film series prior to this were the Superman films of the 70s and 80s and the Burton/Schumacher Batman films of the 80s and 90s. The task of kick-starting a new trend in blockbuster filmmaking fell to Bryan Singer, who succeeded with aplomb. X-Men is dark, brooding and fun. Strong central performances from Jackman, Stewart, McKellen and Paquin emotionally ground the film. The fight scenes and effects are more interesting than groundbreaking, but they would be perfected in the sequel X2. The only main problems with X-Men is some wooden dialogue and a surprisingly underwhelming and predictable finale. It's not a film every superhero movie up to the present is trying to equal, but one that many have surpassed (including it's own sequel). X-Men is a competent enough, and often extremely entertaining film, but only begins to scratch the surface of the superhero blockbuster's potential. Expand
  19. Jun 8, 2011
    It has been a while since I have seen any of the X-Men Movies and I have to admit that I am a sucker for them. Overall the original was amazing and the only problem with the film is the limited amount of likable characters. The only one person that I cared for was Sookie Stackhouse from True Blood who always ends up hanging out with these strange crowds.
  20. Jun 10, 2011
    The story is faithful to the comic books and, while the movie may be too Wolverine centered, it packs a freaky punch that is sure to excite the average moviegoer.
  21. Aug 1, 2011
    Most all reviewers I have read will disagree with me here and say its first sequel was the better film, but for me this first X-men movie was the best. I remember watching the X-men cartoon on Fox and a lot older than I should have been when watching it. While watching that cartoon, I wondered what it would be like to have a movie version of what I was watching. Could it be done? BryanMost all reviewers I have read will disagree with me here and say its first sequel was the better film, but for me this first X-men movie was the best. I remember watching the X-men cartoon on Fox and a lot older than I should have been when watching it. While watching that cartoon, I wondered what it would be like to have a movie version of what I was watching. Could it be done? Bryan Singer came along a few years later and showed me it could. I remember seeing an early picture of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and thinking â Expand
  22. Aug 27, 2011
    A great superhero movie with a lot of interesting subtexts and a really extraordinary concept. This is probably the only movie out there where teenage angst actually works, the cast mostly work - with the exception of Halle Berry who was just bland. The plot was very intricately done as there are at least four sub-plots and all the characters are fleshed out yet the film never getsA great superhero movie with a lot of interesting subtexts and a really extraordinary concept. This is probably the only movie out there where teenage angst actually works, the cast mostly work - with the exception of Halle Berry who was just bland. The plot was very intricately done as there are at least four sub-plots and all the characters are fleshed out yet the film never gets convoluted nor its pace bogged down. It did get a bit predictable and the visual effects were inconsistent, but overall love it!! Highly recommended. Expand
  23. Sep 21, 2011
  24. Aug 17, 2012
    This film is amazing! The characters were awesome and the genetic code plot was very well crafted! Good choice of actors - it was good to see actors other than American ones at the top of the list. I think these films will grow on me, I can't wait for the next ones. Partly fascinating, partly disturbing, partly funny, partly almost everything. Not to mention, Hugh Jackman is incrediblyThis film is amazing! The characters were awesome and the genetic code plot was very well crafted! Good choice of actors - it was good to see actors other than American ones at the top of the list. I think these films will grow on me, I can't wait for the next ones. Partly fascinating, partly disturbing, partly funny, partly almost everything. Not to mention, Hugh Jackman is incredibly sexy as Wolverine. Damn. Expand
  25. Nov 23, 2011
    I quite liked this film, it (mostly) got the feel of the X-men well. The acting was good and the storyline was decent. Not anything more than a 7 out of ten though, just doesn't seem right to give it a better score.
  26. May 25, 2012
    The action scenes could be better but the overall story here is top notch.
  27. May 24, 2013
    To agree with another review, this film was certainly the kick-starter if you will to a surge in superhero films that have now lasted 13 years later...yes, this film is that old, but it certainly doesn't show it.
    X-Men stays true its roots but also brings the franchise into a new generation, with various callbacks to the older comic books and subtle pop cultured dialogue mixed into the very dialogued yet visually stunning film.
    Marie, or Rogue (Anna Paquin) is your typical teenager making plans for life while moving ever closer to boys, but when touches anyone else's skin, she realises she has an extraordinary yet deadly and burdening power, sucking the energy out of the one she touches.
    Deciding she is better off away from those she loves, she meets an isolated and run down man with extraordinary abilities, these people are called mutants, and there is more than she thinks, this one in particular is arguably the most famous, played by Hugh Jackman we are introduced to Logan, better known as Wolverine.
    When they are rescued after an attack, they soon learn about Charles Xavier, Professor X (Patrick Stewart), and his school of young mutants, hoping to harness their powers, but on the other side of the war against the humans is Magneto (Ian McKellan) who believes that if the humans ever pass laws for mutant registration, the mutants will no longer be safe.
    The film expertly tells a story where we are never quite sure whose side to be on, the heart says this and the brain says that sort of scenario, which is truly down to the wonderful acting at play here, especially from Jackman, Stewart and McKellan, who create this very predicament.
    The film is not without its flaws, as many have said, it does always begin to build up to something that we know we aren't going to see, and there is very heavy focus on certain characters, where the film could have worked with a wider array of the X-Men.
    The special effects are magnificent to watch, whether Storm (Halle Berry) is creating thunder and lightning in the sky or the beautiful shape-shifter Mystique is taking various forms to suit her goal, this is truly a stepping stone to what many superhero films in the years that followed aspired to.
    A solid starting point for the band of mutants, with well written and humorous moments blended in with groundbreaking special effects that can only get better, and characters that can only become more appealing and heroic.
  28. Feb 24, 2013
    I'd actually never seen the first x-men movie. It defiantly filled in the holes I had from the other movies. In general, I am not a fan of superhero movies, they are ridiculous and usually don't have any kind of a decent plot, this movie is different. The story is about fighting discrimination, something many of us can easily relate to...and while the special effects are way over the top,I'd actually never seen the first x-men movie. It defiantly filled in the holes I had from the other movies. In general, I am not a fan of superhero movies, they are ridiculous and usually don't have any kind of a decent plot, this movie is different. The story is about fighting discrimination, something many of us can easily relate to...and while the special effects are way over the top, they are most defiantly unique. Hugh Jackman as Wolverine makes the movie and his interplay with cyclops was genius. The second one is still my favorite, but this one was still really good. I highly recommend both it and the rest of the trilogy. Expand
  29. Jun 18, 2015
    While X-Men doesn't take your breath away, it's an accomplished piece of work with considerable pulp watchability to it. The film is effectively paced with a satisfying balance of exposition, character development, and special effects-enhanced action. Neither the plot nor the character relationships are difficult to follow, and the movie avoids the trap of spending too much time explainingWhile X-Men doesn't take your breath away, it's an accomplished piece of work with considerable pulp watchability to it. The film is effectively paced with a satisfying balance of exposition, character development, and special effects-enhanced action. Neither the plot nor the character relationships are difficult to follow, and the movie avoids the trap of spending too much time explaining things that don't need to be explained. Though, certain characters are severely underused (particularly Halle Berry's Storm and it's cartoon-like villains Toad and Sabertooth), this eye-popping comic book movie managed to establish this strangely hypnotic world that certainly left the door open for further involvement in the future. Expand
  30. Dec 6, 2012
    Exactly what I would expect for a super-hero movie. Lots of action, great special effects, great acting, in particular: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as Xavier and Ian McKellen as Magneto are great! I have never read the comics so I don't know how it compares to those but the characters behaved how I expected from watching the cartoons as a kid and also from how my friendsExactly what I would expect for a super-hero movie. Lots of action, great special effects, great acting, in particular: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as Xavier and Ian McKellen as Magneto are great! I have never read the comics so I don't know how it compares to those but the characters behaved how I expected from watching the cartoons as a kid and also from how my friends described them from the comics and how they looked from the comics my friends showed me. An entertaining movie, and one of the better super-hero movies I have seen. Expand
  31. Jul 5, 2013
    Really good acting,writing,music,costume,visuals and action. But the CGI effects and pacing is kind of ghetto..........................................
  32. Feb 6, 2013
    Amazing movie, this perfectly captures the awesomeness that is X-Men in 106 minutes of awesome. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are amazing. The movie leaves you wanting more.
  33. Feb 27, 2013
    The superior cast and well crafted dialogue doesn't quite quell the underwhelming feeling brought about by a story that should reflect the best of the comics, but instead is unfocused and flirts with mediocrity.
  34. May 19, 2013
    The first portion of the group of mutants begins well with a plot acceptable, with action scenes a bit outdated, but with a strong cast and a good exeplo how to start a franchise.
  35. Oct 16, 2014
    One of the most unique and spectacular superhero movie that's been made.

One of the most unique and spectacular superhero movie that's been made.

X-Men is one heck of a ride, it’s so amazing. It highlights many ethical questions like how we define our species and how different we are from each other. It illustrates how people can react to the unknown, in this case mutants. X-Men is a powerful movie with groovy action sequences, and there’s always something going on, so I never got bored! In might got some slow scenes but it totally is a great superhero film! The opening scene and the ending are both great and the CGI is incredible, much better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The film is overall very unique and it’s also highly entertaining. The actors are all incredible, the best are of course Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. Anna Paquin as Rouge might be a less perfect actor, but in the end is she okay. The story of X-Men is superb, and you can in a way interact with the main villain and why he do what he do. The soundtrack isn’t as powerful as I would define as awesome, but it’s close!

X-Men is a spectacular film that’s got wonderful actors and a wonderful story. It’s so great!

X-Men get a 8/10
  36. Aug 17, 2013
    Although some of the special effects tend to feel dated, overall, the film delivers with stylish action, dedicated performances, and a well constructed story that'll leave audiences wanting more.
  37. Nov 2, 2013
    A movie wit good cast, good effects (although outdated by now), and a good storyline and packed with action. But it suffers from generic clichés like most movies out there nowadays although unlike them it has the little things that i personally like to see in a movie and i don't see them very often.
  38. Oct 27, 2013
    at this time the super heroe movies wasn´t as much popular as today,but this movie is absolutely great,is not the bestsuper heroe movie ever made but is an important film.
  39. Nov 13, 2013
    A great film through and through. The point in which it suffers is the third act where it becomes clear that the producers didn't have the budget for all the powers they wanted to portray.
  40. Dec 8, 2014
    This is a pretty good movie with a good storyline. It starts off as a slow paced movie at first, and slowly gets more and more interesting. If you are an X-men fan, then you will probably like this movie.
  41. Jul 7, 2014
    Not a fan of X-Men, but this film comes with a satisfying plot (faithful to the comics), good action, good comedy and a good character development. Really good!
  42. Aug 24, 2014
    I never thought I would say this but X-Men is now one of my favorite superhero movies. I never paid attention to the X-Men series when I was a kid and now being a teenager I wish I had paid attention.

There was never a dull moment in this movie which I think is why I love this movie so much. The movie was very fast-paced and it gets to the point of the story without indulging into many backstories.

The concept and the setting is awesome and clever and it made me wish I was a student of Professor X.

This movie also made me care about the characters even the ones from Magneto’s side. My favorite character in the entire movie is Professor X and his power to mind control everyone around him is the power I really wanted. I am glad Sir. Patrick Stewart took the role. I am having some cosplay ideas right now.

The humor of this movie is the reason why Marvel movies are so awesome. They don’t take itself too seriously despite the darkness in the tone of their movies.

The direction from Bryan Singer and the writing of the movie is great and awesome. Even for a movie that is released on 2000, the special effects were realistic.

It’s no wonder why people love the X-Men movies. I hope the next X-Men movie would be either great as this one or even better than this one.
  43. Feb 7, 2015
    X-Men was a great way to kick off a to kick off the series. It introduced the all the characters that we have come to love over the years and they don't bite off more than they can chew. There are so many characters involved in with the X-Men clan and it was a good idea to hold some of the characters off until later in the series so the audience doesn't have to wonder who is who. TheX-Men was a great way to kick off a to kick off the series. It introduced the all the characters that we have come to love over the years and they don't bite off more than they can chew. There are so many characters involved in with the X-Men clan and it was a good idea to hold some of the characters off until later in the series so the audience doesn't have to wonder who is who. The movie's easy to understand and all the characters are portrayed beautifully. Patrick Stewart is great as Professor X and Hugh Jackman begins the role of a lifetime as Wolverine. Expand
  44. Aug 15, 2014
    The first movie in the X-Men franchise is one of the best. It's fun, exciting, and full of ideas. Racism and equality is addressed throughout the movie. The humans hate the mutants, the mutants hate the humans, etc. The characters are excellently cast. By now, we all know that Hugh Jackman is definitely the only person who could play Wolverine, and Ian McKellen shines as Magneto. It's aThe first movie in the X-Men franchise is one of the best. It's fun, exciting, and full of ideas. Racism and equality is addressed throughout the movie. The humans hate the mutants, the mutants hate the humans, etc. The characters are excellently cast. By now, we all know that Hugh Jackman is definitely the only person who could play Wolverine, and Ian McKellen shines as Magneto. It's a good movie, and definitely one of the better Marvel movies I've seen. Expand
  45. Feb 2, 2015
    "X-Men" is a really good movie. The cast is OK, but they sure do their best to bring life to these uncanny characters. The story is pretty easy to follow, which is good too. Director Bryan Singer does a great job on creating empathy, and the tone feels just right. Unfortunately, the movie strays a little bit from the comics, specially considering looks and relationships, but nonetheless,"X-Men" is a really good movie. The cast is OK, but they sure do their best to bring life to these uncanny characters. The story is pretty easy to follow, which is good too. Director Bryan Singer does a great job on creating empathy, and the tone feels just right. Unfortunately, the movie strays a little bit from the comics, specially considering looks and relationships, but nonetheless, "X-Men" proves to be an interesting and exciting film for the general audience. Expand
  46. Mar 15, 2015
    This cool superhero flick regenerates the genre for both Marvel and the 21st century, and also a good start for both and the masterfully-handled series.

1. Reviewed by: Cody Clark
    The best kind of summer blockbuster -- the kind that makes you immediately crave a sequel.
  2. The mood is awfully dark for an escapist fantasy, though, and the high-tech mayhem gets repetitious.
  3. Reviewed by: Ernest Hardy
    A very odd cinematic creature.