4.7

1. EricH.
    Jun 19, 2009
    I had really high hopes when I heard the concept and saw that it starred Michael Cera and Jack Black. After seeing the trailers, I was really hoping that it would be better than what was shown. Unfortunately, this movie was a bummer. Not horrible- it was still light years better than Land of the Lost- but not great considering the talented roster of supporting actors. It was also a shame I had really high hopes when I heard the concept and saw that it starred Michael Cera and Jack Black. After seeing the trailers, I was really hoping that it would be better than what was shown. Unfortunately, this movie was a bummer. Not horrible- it was still light years better than Land of the Lost- but not great considering the talented roster of supporting actors. It was also a shame to see Jack Black recycling the character we've seen in nearly all of his prior movies. It was appropriate for this type of film, but it just seemed stale, like Will Ferell in LOTL. Michael Cera was great, doing his usual sad sack self deprecating schtick. Overall, this movie seemed like a half-ass Monty Python or Mel Brooks movie. It mostly reminded me how good Life of Brian was. In this case, I set my expectations too high. My benchmark this year for comedies is The Hangover, and this didn't even come close. Wait for the DVD or a matinee and you won't feel like you spent too much. Expand
  2. NikkiN.
    Jun 21, 2009
    It had it's funny moments but for the most part Year One just dragged on. It seemed like they were aiming for a plot but missed entirely. They do have sum good comedians n this movie but they cant bring comedy 2 a poorly written script. it wud've looked better if they wud've just ad libbed and improved the whole movie...That wud've been worth seeing.
  3. JacobE
    Aug 5, 2009
    This movie would've gotten a better score from most critics if there was actually a plot in it. It seemed to have a large amount of potential, but overall falls flat. If you want to watch a decent comedy with promising actorscomedians, watch Funny People.
  4. ED
    Jun 19, 2009
    Not especially funny. It had some gross parts which were entirely unnecessary. I give it a 6 because it makes basic digs at religion.
  5. TimothyT.
    Sep 26, 2009
    There's more humor in most thrillers than Year One.
  6. PerverzBi
    Oct 17, 2009
    It's a typical Apatow movie set in the times of the Old Testament. And the Old Testament is perfect for an Apatow movie's sex&fart jokes. Yes, it is a different kind of humour than what Mel Brooks had, but this movie's plot is more comprehensive, I think. If you survive the first 20 minutes, it turns out to be quite funny to reflect today's order of values in the It's a typical Apatow movie set in the times of the Old Testament. And the Old Testament is perfect for an Apatow movie's sex&fart jokes. Yes, it is a different kind of humour than what Mel Brooks had, but this movie's plot is more comprehensive, I think. If you survive the first 20 minutes, it turns out to be quite funny to reflect today's order of values in the biblical setting. Expand
  7. BenB
    Oct 24, 2009
    The films opens with a strange but digestible set of caveman gags. The film however seems to continue with the same types of gags throughout various time periods without ever offering anything fresh. My the end of the movie, you are left in a dramatic climax scene full of characters that you have long stopped caring about, in a movie that has definitely overstayed its welcome.
  8. DanD
    Jun 24, 2009
    Thought the movie had some great jokes in there, with some really great potential, unfortunately they didn't do a great job tying it all together.
  9. JayH.
    Sep 29, 2009
    Harold Ramis is no Mel Brooks. The concept seemed funny, but there are way too many misses in the humor, as well as far too many male genitalia gags. Occasionally there are some laughs, the art direction and costumes are imaginative but otherwise it doesn't work.
  10. Feb 26, 2011
    This is one of those movies that you will love or hate. I actually enjoyed this flick. Sure the plot is horrible, dont make much sense. Pointless action scenes, acting isnt that its terrible its just a random movie, on a quest or lack off. If you like the cast then its worth a watch. If you like cornball movies this is for you. I love cornball movies as its my sense of humor.
  11. Feb 1, 2011
    Year one is barely sporadically funny, predictabally lame, but the film does offer some rather surprising gross out gags, that some if not most summer comedy fans will enjoy
  12. Oct 16, 2011
    Bought this on whim having missed it's release. After the opening scene, thought I was on to a winner, however the rest of the film failed to live up to the early promise. There are a few laughs to be had but generally it just isn't funny. The plot is far from smooth and most of the time it appears the actors are making the lines up as they go along.
  13. May 3, 2012
    It was funny throughout. This parody movie has laughs and a bit of a heart. The story was much better than I had expected it to be.
  14. Aug 10, 2013
    The last half hour of Year One is much better than the first hour but is still very stupid, childish and I expected Adam Sandler to turn up any second.

Year One is not really THAT bad and not ENTIRELY without laughs.
  2. During all of the film’s oh-so-long 97 minutes, Year One, barely earns a snicker.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Any good will the movie generates, though, is grated right back off by Black, whose obnoxiousness has lost whatever charm it once possessed.