You're Next

6.9

1. Sep 4, 2013
    Home invasion stories have played a pivotal role in the progression of horror films for quite some time now. However, home invasion films don't necessarily have to be pure horror movies. Some just want to entertain, more than scare. Adam Wingard's latest horror-thriller film”You're Next” wants to do just that.

If you're not familiar with “You're Next”, let me just start off by saying

If you're not familiar with “You're Next”, let me just start off by saying that this film is actually a two year-old and independently made film, that first premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in 2011 and had since rose to critical acclaim, with many critics mentioning the films refreshing tone in the horror genre. After the film festival, the rights were suddenly purchased by Lionsgate and the film was, mysteriously, shelved for two years. I'm going to mention that “You're Next” is more of a thriller than it is a horror movie. (It just has some horror aspects to it) So if you're going into this only expecting to be scared, then don't bother with this film. Go watch “The Conjuring” instead if you haven't seen that already. Now, on to the review:

PLOT: The plot for “You're Next” is fairly simple, but it's more interesting that you'd expect. Even if the film first seems like your average run-of-the-mill horror film. This is how the story goes:

“When a gang of masked, ax-wielding murderers descend upon the Davidson family reunion, the hapless victims seem trapped... until an unlikely guest of the family proves to be the most talented killer of all.”

So why is “You're Next” interesting? Well, like the synopsis says, things switch gears once everything starts happening, as that certain unlikely guest shows her “talents” from get-go. And I will say, that twist was truly unexpected! That one twist alone is what makes this film so unique and refreshing compared to your everyday run-of-the-mill horror film. In other horror films, there may have been leading ladies that have attempted to attack their killer, but they usually scream and run off after their first strike and end up not knowing what their going to do next. This certain lead, however, knows exactly what to do once the carnage ensues! And she wants these killers dead, and will stop at nothing until they are all dead! She sets traps, commences sneak attacks, and even fights the killers head-on! This certain character may very well be the best female lead yet, and unlike many other female leads in other countless horror films, we are truly invested in her survival!

There are some other neat aspects to the plot of “You're Next” than just it's fantastic leading lady though. I think it's cool that the killers are humanized instead of just being our same-old mindless, killing machines without personality like we've seen a hundred times before! These killers also have a real motive for attacking this certain family. The killers are smart too, as they employ many cool strategies in order to kill their victims as fast as possible, like using trip wires and a cell phone jammer! (Though they did forget to count on one thing... our leading lady!)

Even with some predictable plot twists, the story of “You're Next” is still head-above-shoulders compared to many other films in it's genre!

ACTING: This is a low-budget film, so you can kind of expect the acting to be a little mediocre. And it is for the most part. The somewhat mediocre acting may ward off some viewers, although I, myself, forgive the acting, considering the fact that this film is low-budget and independently made. I mean, you can't expect to get great actors if your film is on a low budget and have no help from a studio.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: The cinematography is excellent, with many cool and creepy shots through-out! Cinematographer Andrew Palmero took a lot of time and effort into shooting this film, as he really shows us his talent behind the camera. The only downside to his work is that the camera is slightly unsteady at times. A minor problem, but it would have been nice if he could of maintained a little more self-control.

SCRIPT: The scriptwriting is absolutely brilliant! The dialogue is believable, the use of dark humor is effective and times in just right, and believe it not, this films does contain a lot of logic and reasoning. (With the exception of a couple scenes) It may not be apparent at first, but the logic is there.

EDITING: There's not much to be said about editing. The only thing that comes to mind is that it would have been nice if the film could pay more attention to a few scenes, but Adam did state in an interview that he couldn't focus too much on certain scenes since because the budget wasn't big enough. Well, gotta keep within the budget, I guess.

SOUNDTRACK: “You're Next” contains a cool 80's style electronic score that always times in at the right moment. The score fits the mood of the film, and to every situation that's going on! A truly great score, I thought.

CONCLUSION: “You're Next” is a film destined for cult-classic status, as it's surely a crowd-pleaser! It's one of those rare horror films that actually succeeds in what it's trying to do: to entertain! Adam Wingard never wanted to scare his audiences, he only wants to entertain! And he succeeds brilliantly!

So do yourself a favor, and go watch “You're Next”! If you love home-invasion films, and can forgive the films faults, I promise that you will not be dissapointed!
  2. Jan 15, 2014
    An R rated and more suspenseful "Home Alone" type film for horror fans, a Joe Pesci appearance behind the mask would have made it... Fun, gory and awesome female lead. Won't disappoint when compared to latest horror films since "The Loved Ones".
  3. Aug 31, 2013
    As far as horror movies are concerned, "You're Next" doesn't really bring too much innovative material to the table, but it still packs a blackly comic punch as it also delivers a nice package full of thrills.
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    You're Next is a brilliant horror movie.It's smart, clever and stylish. It's a breath of fresh air among all the terrible slasher movies out there nowadays. It doesn't quite revolutionize the slasher genre, but it is definitely a strong comeback. Shari Vinson was magnificent as Erin. She is definitely one of the greatest horror movie leading ladies of all time. She was smart, fierce and anYou're Next is a brilliant horror movie.It's smart, clever and stylish. It's a breath of fresh air among all the terrible slasher movies out there nowadays. It doesn't quite revolutionize the slasher genre, but it is definitely a strong comeback. Shari Vinson was magnificent as Erin. She is definitely one of the greatest horror movie leading ladies of all time. She was smart, fierce and an all around bad-ass. The other characters are pretty shallow, spoiled and two dimensional but when you see this movie you'll understand how it's makes up for this little flaw. While the movie contained some jump scares, overall it wasn't scary, but that's pretty much standard for a slasher film. But what it lacks in scares it makes up tenfold in the gore department. This film is a roller coaster of carnage and it does so with finesse and panache and features one of the greatest horror movie deaths of all time. This film was getting major hype way before it premiered and by God, it delivers with intensity and ferocity that needs to be experienced way more than once. Expand
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    One of the better horror flicks I've seen in recent years. I've gotten so tired of these tepidly scary occult flicks like The Conjuring, The Haunting, and even the new Evil Dead. This is a good old fashioned horror thriller, with a nice mix of extreme gore, humor, excitement, irrationality (which morphs into plotty rationality), and some great cheesy/throwback horror music. The leadOne of the better horror flicks I've seen in recent years. I've gotten so tired of these tepidly scary occult flicks like The Conjuring, The Haunting, and even the new Evil Dead. This is a good old fashioned horror thriller, with a nice mix of extreme gore, humor, excitement, irrationality (which morphs into plotty rationality), and some great cheesy/throwback horror music. The lead actress is fantastic. And I was pleasantly surprised to see Amy Seimetz in the cast. (She should be in every movie, huh?) Can't say much more without revealing the plot. Guaranteed, you will leave the theater with a certain song stuck in your head....At least that's all that will be stuck there. Expand
  6. Aug 23, 2013
    No, the acting isn't incredible, but the movie is just FUN for a change. The Aussie lead is awesome, and there's a light-hearted feel to this film amidst the carnage that makes you feel good as you leave the theater. It's not ponderous.
  7. Aug 26, 2013
    The best horror movie so far this year, even better than Evil Dead. You're Next is a true return to form of the slasher movies that dominated 70s and 80s horror. The cast is very strong, particularly the connections of the family are very believable and adds to the tension. However, this movie doesn't try to force itself on being a horror-fest, the director clearly was having fun with thisThe best horror movie so far this year, even better than Evil Dead. You're Next is a true return to form of the slasher movies that dominated 70s and 80s horror. The cast is very strong, particularly the connections of the family are very believable and adds to the tension. However, this movie doesn't try to force itself on being a horror-fest, the director clearly was having fun with this shoot. This movie is campy at the right moments just as it throws in the surprises and jump scares with nearly perfect timing. Although the home invasion premise of the movie something that we've seen a lot before in recent horror or thriller type movies, I cant think of a movie within the past several years that does it with even remotely the thrills that You're Next manages. I can see this one becoming a cult classic, probably something that we'll see Hollywood remake in about 25 years or so and hate the remake because it will miss the damn point. The twist in the final moments of the movie was well done, although predictable if you are a seasoned horror buff. Expand
  8. Aug 29, 2013
    Being one of the most fun movies to come out this year, You're Next is a violent and incredibly entertaining horror-comedy that is both quite funny and full with fun twists. The film is definitely flawed, in which it has a rocky start before it descends into greatness and having not-very-fantastic acting apart from Sharni Vinson who plays to badass lead role and I would have liked the haveBeing one of the most fun movies to come out this year, You're Next is a violent and incredibly entertaining horror-comedy that is both quite funny and full with fun twists. The film is definitely flawed, in which it has a rocky start before it descends into greatness and having not-very-fantastic acting apart from Sharni Vinson who plays to badass lead role and I would have liked the have some closure in the ending, though the end was still pretty fun. In the end, You're Next is a gory good time in theatres. Expand
  9. Aug 23, 2013
    What "You're Next" lacks in originality in regards to its premise, more than makes up for it with clever surprises, an infectious energy, and a desire to satisfy rabid horror fans, while also remaining appealing to mainstream audiences. What gives "You're Next" a clever twist is how the movie presents itself as just the opposite. The movie also possesses an entertaining sense of darkWhat "You're Next" lacks in originality in regards to its premise, more than makes up for it with clever surprises, an infectious energy, and a desire to satisfy rabid horror fans, while also remaining appealing to mainstream audiences. What gives "You're Next" a clever twist is how the movie presents itself as just the opposite. The movie also possesses an entertaining sense of dark humor, invigorating a generic storyline that feels revitalized. Director Adam Wingard and Screenwriter Simon Barrett's previous collaboration "A Horrible way to Die" (2010), displayed great potential and promise. "You're Next" is unquestionably the duo's crowning achievement to date.

The story begins with married couple (Barbara Crampton and Rob Moran) celebrating their 35th anniversary with their four grown children, and the children's significant others. It's been awhile since the entire family was together, and it doesn't take long for old rivalries to emerge. Crispian (AJ Bowen), is a college instructor who is currently dating Erin (Sharni Vinson). His brother Drake (Joe Swanberg), is the quintessential jerk with his wife (Margaret Laney). Their sister, Aimee (Amy Seimetz), has a pretentious filmmaker boyfriend (Ti West), who's an easy target for dinner-table mockery. The youngest sibling, Felix (Nicholas Tucci), is a screw-up with a gloomy girlfriend (Wendy Glenn). Obviously, the reunion doesn't go according to plan. Tempers flare during family dinner, but the feuding quickly comes to a halt when an unseen killer strikes a fatal blow. They now realize that the house is now surrounded by homicidal strangers wearing masks, who appear determined on leaving no survivors.

Once Barrett's sharp, wicked script kicks into top gear, the cast is gruesomely eliminated to the bare essentials. The violence is visceral and bloody, but so tongue- in-cheek, it often causes a smile coupled with ripples of nervous laughter. The movie successfully blends horror with a pitch black comedy throughout, and continuously finds clever ways to subvert the typical, predictable cat and mouse games. The striking, gruesome sequences go a long way towards perpetuating the movie's increasingly forbidding vibe, though there's little doubt that "You're Next" fares best once the tables have turned. Undoubtedly, the breakout star of "You're Next" is the Australian leading lady Sharni Vinson, who comes across as equally strong and smart in a wonderful performance.

Wingard and Barrett have fun with the premise with impressive results, integrating the personal relationships and family conflicts that feed into the developing terror, while having fun playing with audience expectations. The tense atmosphere accompanied with the infectious energy it exudes makes it easy to gloss over any deficiencies. "You're Next" is light on psychological and narrative complexity, but it's unquestionably a cut above the slasher norm. The movie had its world premiere at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival.
  10. Sep 3, 2013
    I always like to separate Horror Movies from Thriller Movies. While the former often involves supernatural element, the latter mostly just involves killing and blood spreading. But all in all, I think both genres belong to Scary Movies.

The setting of this new thriller You're Next? is pretty simple. A big family are gathering together in a secluded house in the woods. And then family members are getting killed one by one by a group of weirdos who wear creepy masks.

Somehow the movie manages to become my No.2 scary movie this year so far. So how? I have thought about it for a moment, and here are my conclusions:

1. Big family reunion always comes with family dinner scene, when all secrets come out and people are getting angry and crazy with each other, and I always love this part. And in this movie, the first scary killing happens in the dinner scene too.
    2. There is a strong and smart female character in the film, which is always fun to watch.
    3. There are twist by twist along the movie. And the cat-and-mouse situation is completely reversed towards the end.
    4. The creepy soundtrack music composed by Mads Heldtberg definitely adds creepiness to the film.
    5. I am not familiar with a single actor in the movie, which is a good thing. The movie gives me a fresh feeling. And I think the female lead, Sharni Vinson, has done a very good job. Later I found out that she played Step Up 3D? before.
    6. The movie kind of ends in a sarcastic way.

Of course there is something that's not in my favor:

1. The last twist doesn't surprise me at all, because I already saw it coming in the middle of the movie. Well maybe coz I'm a die-hard horror/thriller movie fan and have seen too much to be surprised.
    2. The explanation of this massacre is kind of lame for me. Not that it doesn't make sense, but it is too simple to make people go killing.

All in all, I think the good outweighs the bad, and it definitely deserves a watch.
  11. Aug 24, 2013
    An extremely enjoyable horror thriller. What's great about You're Next is that the characters are real human beings who exist in more than one dimension, so their deaths are more than just "Oh damn!" moments; it really hits you in the gut when one of them is shot through the head with a crossbow. Even the murderers are allowed a certain psychological depth, and this makes what they do allAn extremely enjoyable horror thriller. What's great about You're Next is that the characters are real human beings who exist in more than one dimension, so their deaths are more than just "Oh damn!" moments; it really hits you in the gut when one of them is shot through the head with a crossbow. Even the murderers are allowed a certain psychological depth, and this makes what they do all the more horrifying. I also appreciated how realistic the victims' behavior was; that is, much of what they did was stupid and irrational, but in a very believable, sympathetic way. Most people would lose their minds in such a situation. Director Adam Wingard gets this, and as such his movie comes across as something more than a cheap slasher flick. It expertly straddles the line between verisimilitude and snuff, which is what the best of the neo-horror films aim to do. Expand
  12. Oct 27, 2013
    If you could bypass some of the characters' logic and the unoriginal concept, You're Next will be very entertaining film with it's fast-paced thrills and table-turning premise of a home-invasion film.
  13. Aug 23, 2013
    This is a great movie, this movie have a new level of horror. Is not easy make a slasher film with something different, but this one make everything cool and interesting.
  14. Sep 10, 2013
    Fast paced, vicious and utterly fun, You're Next is a master-class in horror film making thanks to a fresh concept and a director willing to see it through to the bitter end, the bitter fantastic end. When a family gathers for an anniversary celebration at a country house away from society they find themselves under siege by a group of sociopathic attackers wearing animal masks. HoweverFast paced, vicious and utterly fun, You're Next is a master-class in horror film making thanks to a fresh concept and a director willing to see it through to the bitter end, the bitter fantastic end. When a family gathers for an anniversary celebration at a country house away from society they find themselves under siege by a group of sociopathic attackers wearing animal masks. However the attackers and the guests soon realize they should be afraid of one of the guests more as they prove remarkably adept at killing people. While some of the performances in the film are dire it also features a standout performance by Sharni Vinson whose character is a wonderful change of pace to the conventional horror movie females, sure she does about the same quota of killing, maybe even lightly more, but You're Next manages to make it seem more realistic. Her status as a masculine female seems assured but the film doesn't ever change her, she is always presented as feminine, feminine force capable of some truly devastating things (her skill with a meat tenderizer alone is worth the price of admission). The film manages to present each of its characters as people even though some are clearly going to suffer the fate of dying early on. Everyone feels like equals as each and everyone of them puts their own effect on the story and the overall feel of this awe inspiring horror flick. While some of the violence takes a turn towards the fantastical as people survive the most disgusting of injuries, its all in the name of entertainment and that's what You're Next is, grade A popcorn entertainment. Expand
  15. Jan 3, 2014
    Best horror film of 2013 even better than Insidious 2 & The Conjuring. It delivers on being sexy, tense, graphic, and the story delivers with a kick-ass heroine. Love that this is an indie success story filled with a bunch of indie-horror filmmakers (Ti West, Adam Wingard, Joe Swanberg, Larry Fesseden).
  16. Feb 15, 2015
    WICKED MOVIE. One of the smartest and most horrifying movies I have seen in such a long time. If you like a good thriller, I highly recommend this movie.
  17. Sep 2, 2013
    Combining comedy and horror the way this film did ended up being refreshingly entertaining. It is consistently fun and bursts with mayhem throughout the entirety of the ride.
  18. Sep 3, 2013
    For lovers of the genre this is a superior horror with a great twist. High on blood and gore, some of which is excrutiatingly felt, and with plenty of jumpy moments to keep any true horror fan ghoulishly happy. In the expectant first hour the tension is palpable and exacerbated by the use of hand held camera which is highly effective in enveloping us as events start to unfold for theFor lovers of the genre this is a superior horror with a great twist. High on blood and gore, some of which is excrutiatingly felt, and with plenty of jumpy moments to keep any true horror fan ghoulishly happy. In the expectant first hour the tension is palpable and exacerbated by the use of hand held camera which is highly effective in enveloping us as events start to unfold for the unfortunate family under attack. Things dip ever so slightly when the culprits are unmasked (literally) and the reason for the mayhem is revealed, but the film still remain lively and tense. Towards the end some revelations and plot points are predictably signposted in advance, but the last scene raises a deliciously inappropriate chuckle.

19. Apr 29, 2014
    A brutal film from the start, 'You're Next' is relentless in its delivery of gratuitous gore and terror. It avoids the trap that many modern horror films fall into of dragging out scenes in the vain effort to create suspense. While it loses it's stride slightly with the high kill count, this is a refreshing film which smacks you in the face. Or shoots a crossbow bolt into your back. OrA brutal film from the start, 'You're Next' is relentless in its delivery of gratuitous gore and terror. It avoids the trap that many modern horror films fall into of dragging out scenes in the vain effort to create suspense. While it loses it's stride slightly with the high kill count, this is a refreshing film which smacks you in the face. Or shoots a crossbow bolt into your back. Or obliterates your skull with a blender...you get the idea. Expand
  20. Aug 23, 2013
    While it's not an original movie, and it's nothing compared to "The Conjuring", not to steal Nesbitt10's quote but it still applies. What it lacks is all made up for with the scares it offers to deliver. It's really just a surprise to see people start making better and truly scary movies, this for sure is one of them. Overall, it's an entertaining horror flick. Be sure to check out myWhile it's not an original movie, and it's nothing compared to "The Conjuring", not to steal Nesbitt10's quote but it still applies. What it lacks is all made up for with the scares it offers to deliver. It's really just a surprise to see people start making better and truly scary movies, this for sure is one of them. Overall, it's an entertaining horror flick. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
  21. Sep 24, 2013
    It's no secret that the Horror genre has gotten rather stale. It's either we get a generic haunted house movie, a slasher flick, or some unnecessary remake. There really isn't much room to do something truly "unique" and "original". You're Next knows this, and plays with it's premise and provides one of the funnest horror films in recent memory. It's straight to the point, and that's whatIt's no secret that the Horror genre has gotten rather stale. It's either we get a generic haunted house movie, a slasher flick, or some unnecessary remake. There really isn't much room to do something truly "unique" and "original". You're Next knows this, and plays with it's premise and provides one of the funnest horror films in recent memory. It's straight to the point, and that's what I love. It's got graphic brutal violence, a bunch of bloodshed, and it's all so much fun. It ends up feeling like a throwback to the Horror films of the 80's. You're Next is an entertaining, fun horror flick with some hilarious scenes thrown in. If your looking for a solid horror movie to watch, this is it. My rating:7.2/10 Expand
  22. Nov 17, 2014
    You're Next completely surprised me and I would have to say that it's one of the better slasher/home invasion films I've seen in a long time. It's clear to see Adam Wingard is a fan of and understands the genre and his overall direction is solid. He's certainly a Director that I'll be looking out for in future. The acting is much to be desired, but Sharni Vinson is a strong femaleYou're Next completely surprised me and I would have to say that it's one of the better slasher/home invasion films I've seen in a long time. It's clear to see Adam Wingard is a fan of and understands the genre and his overall direction is solid. He's certainly a Director that I'll be looking out for in future. The acting is much to be desired, but Sharni Vinson is a strong female protagonist that you root for. The repeated track 'Looking for the Magic' by the Dwight Twilley Band is great & the genius synth score feels like a throwback to a John Carpenter film. It undoubtedly starts off generically but I got the feeling that the Director was probably poking fun at recognisable horror tropes. Gradually the film becomes more and more intriguing and the final third is thoroughly enjoyable and surprising. Expand
  23. Sep 7, 2013
    You're Next is a indie horror flix with comedy elements and plenty of jump scares. I am not the biggest horror film fan, but I like having fun with a film and You're Next allows me to do that without me my pants yet tensions were high and I did jump out of my seat several times. The main character, who carry's the whole film, is strong, likable and bad-ass which is always nice in a homeYou're Next is a indie horror flix with comedy elements and plenty of jump scares. I am not the biggest horror film fan, but I like having fun with a film and You're Next allows me to do that without me my pants yet tensions were high and I did jump out of my seat several times. The main character, who carry's the whole film, is strong, likable and bad-ass which is always nice in a home invasion film and the family it's self has charisma and there own personalities even though you instantly start hating some. The film is great and lots of fun but if your looking for a gritty, true horror film this isn't for you but if you what a gory, fun, lighthearted jump scare thrill ride then You're Next is perfect Expand
  24. Sep 5, 2013
    Loved it! It's exciting, gory, funny, and sometimes scary. If you're expecting a straight up horror film, You're Next is not that. This a dark comedy/horror. Yes, the acting isn't perfect, but it's not terrible either. What it lacks in the acting department it makes up for with fun, bloody mayhem.
  25. Sep 26, 2013
    I loved this movie it was very good and such a badass movie the acting is decent but Sharni Vinson was very good and it's really fun and it's entertaing I certainly enjoyed it
  26. Jan 8, 2014
    Finally a horror thriller full of blood, suspense, humor and action! the cinematography it's perfect is not the same cliche when the killers are mysterious and only show his face at the end and never are the victims! and Sharni Vinson was perfect.
  27. Jan 28, 2014
    Good film - the story was very tightly told, great pacing, great acting, outstanding action, and the cinematography was awesome. On top of all that, I love how the filmmakers turned the home invasion sub-genre completely upside down. This is the type of film that The Purge wanted so hard to be. In fact, this is the type of film that so many films want to be like. In short, this film isGood film - the story was very tightly told, great pacing, great acting, outstanding action, and the cinematography was awesome. On top of all that, I love how the filmmakers turned the home invasion sub-genre completely upside down. This is the type of film that The Purge wanted so hard to be. In fact, this is the type of film that so many films want to be like. In short, this film is amazing. I watched it twice, something that I rarely do with movies. Collapse
  28. Dec 29, 2013
    Good performances, good direction, good plot, good scares, good scenes of blood, the main actress is overwhelming, with a final good over there.......
  29. Jan 16, 2014
    not only was it **** up, but it was **** up in a smart, and often funny way. Its well filmed, the actors are believable and the twist 's are not as predictable as I thought they would be. Its all very well done. Even the gore effects are top notch.
    Bottom line I think You're Next is an A film. And a big delight to most horror fans.
  30. Jan 17, 2014
    This was so well done. It has dark comedy and incredibly violent death scenes that leave you thinking "that couldn't have been better", and those masks are just as disturbing as they are funny. They didn't bother with the likes of Jason Voorhess or Michael Myers. These killers are entirely killable! So you get that same vengeance theme shared by Last House on the Left and I Spit On YourThis was so well done. It has dark comedy and incredibly violent death scenes that leave you thinking "that couldn't have been better", and those masks are just as disturbing as they are funny. They didn't bother with the likes of Jason Voorhess or Michael Myers. These killers are entirely killable! So you get that same vengeance theme shared by Last House on the Left and I Spit On Your Grave, however, NO RAPE SCENES! This was great fun to watch and I recommend it to any fan of the genre. Expand
  31. Feb 15, 2014
    The unique and mysterious horror comedy that brings back the feeling of Wes Craven's "Scream" Both witty and horrific "You're next" is one brilliant horror film.
  32. Aug 16, 2014
    As someone who is a fan of a lot of horror slasher films its a nice breath of fresh air to watch a film where the leading lady isnt some dumb girl running up the stairs when she should be running out the front door, or is weak, annoying, screaming non stop and manages to survive more on luck than skill.

"You're next" flips the classic slasher movie script and has the leading lady be a survival expert who ends up hunting the baddies instead of it being the other way round.

There are a few jump scares but its not scary, in fact the ending becomes a little comedic.
    Some of the acting is a little hit and miss and like most films in this genre there are plot holes you'll just have to ignore, but overall i found it very enjoyable, a nice change.
  33. Nov 15, 2014
    I actually like this movie it is a kick ass movie that the aussie girl character is actually smart so why am i giving this movie an 8/10 ? , Face it some of the characters are way to dumb their trying to get them selves killed it annoying me. But i do have to say it's a home invasion thriller it's fun the effects are a kick ass fun that editor/director Adam Wingard really made great shotsI actually like this movie it is a kick ass movie that the aussie girl character is actually smart so why am i giving this movie an 8/10 ? , Face it some of the characters are way to dumb their trying to get them selves killed it annoying me. But i do have to say it's a home invasion thriller it's fun the effects are a kick ass fun that editor/director Adam Wingard really made great shots and cgi it's brilliant. Grade A- Expand
  34. Sep 2, 2014
    It's not the best horror film of the year, but it's certainly the most entertaining. You're Next is a nice return-to-form for the slasher genre, and it's filled with dark humor and blood. I highly recommend it.
  35. Jun 30, 2015
    Brilliant horror movie with a great plot twist, and many scary scenes. My only problem with this movie is that there were one or two parts in the movie that were slow.
  36. May 25, 2015
    You're Next really surprised me. I thought it was going to be a run-of-the-mill, cheesy B grade horror movie. But no, it is in its own way original and clever. It is less of a horror movie and more of a dark comedy, like "American Psycho" from 2000. It has a lot of witty dialogue and a new take on the home invasion genre. However, the movie does feel stale at times and the killers aren'tYou're Next really surprised me. I thought it was going to be a run-of-the-mill, cheesy B grade horror movie. But no, it is in its own way original and clever. It is less of a horror movie and more of a dark comedy, like "American Psycho" from 2000. It has a lot of witty dialogue and a new take on the home invasion genre. However, the movie does feel stale at times and the killers aren't creepy enough considering they show their real faces multiple times. Overall, You're Next is a solid, entertaining movie. 7/10 Expand
  37. May 23, 2015
    The story is tight and unwinds smoothly allowing for an intense thrill ride. At first I thought it was going to be one of those slow building horror film's that ends in one twisted, violent displays of violence but "You're Next" keeps a pretty chilling, steady pace of non-stop suspense that had me on edge. I have never enjoyed cursing at the people on the screen as I did with this film. IThe story is tight and unwinds smoothly allowing for an intense thrill ride. At first I thought it was going to be one of those slow building horror film's that ends in one twisted, violent displays of violence but "You're Next" keeps a pretty chilling, steady pace of non-stop suspense that had me on edge. I have never enjoyed cursing at the people on the screen as I did with this film. I never really noticed any moments where the story became stagnant. Even after the mid-film reveal as to the plot I still found the remaining section of "You're Next" just as thrilling as the first half.

As for the special effects and soundtrack of "You're Next", I found them equally entertaining and quite strong for an indie horror film. The gore and violent action scenes were strong and bloody. I cringed at how the kill sequence would play out and yet I couldn't wait to see it happen. The violence wasn't over-the-top or gratuitous-at least not for my taste. The film actually gave me the same level of pleasure I get from the classic horror films like "The Burning" and the original "I Spit On Your Grave". The soundtrack plays out with perfect resonance to the films almost somber atmosphere and violent nature.

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Aug 28, 2013
    Wingard’s film is its own subset of fractious family crazy.
  2. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Aug 27, 2013
    A solid watch for gore fans.
  3. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Aug 26, 2013
    Maybe, in another time and place, and with different actors and a better director, it might have worked. But this thing collapses right from the get-go.