• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Dec 17, 2012
  • Season #: 1
5.4

1. Dec 20, 2012
    The show's premise has so much potential and the writing and direction can totally prove it to be another successful comedy. The first episode was promising for me, I liked it. It is fresh, the cast is likeable and good, the jokes are somewhat old but their application is new. Let's see what is the future of this series. My hopes are high now.
  2. Jan 13, 2013
    Tedious is the word that comes to mind to describe what I thought of this show. It was an effort to continue to pay attention as the show tripped and fell over itself. The Skip character is given far too much screen time for what the character adds to the show. To paraphrase an old chestnut --- when Skip is on the screen, it is like five talented and well-scripted actors left the scene.Tedious is the word that comes to mind to describe what I thought of this show. It was an effort to continue to pay attention as the show tripped and fell over itself. The Skip character is given far too much screen time for what the character adds to the show. To paraphrase an old chestnut --- when Skip is on the screen, it is like five talented and well-scripted actors left the scene.

After watching the pilot, I removed the show from the "to be recorded" list on my DVR. Then I decided to give the show a second chance, and recorded and watch the second episode, Skiplantic or something.

I suffered through the entire second episode, only to resolve to never waste my time on this show again.
  3. Jan 24, 2013
    I like the limited premise of this show.....but after 4 episodes, I am bored. I wonder if NBC realized how limited the premise would be. OK, the son "f''s" something up again.....the daughter/mother dynamic....we get it. I don't have to watch the rest of the season to know what will happen next...its already been done.
  4. Jan 28, 2013
    Dear god please, let this show be a figment of my imagination. It's time to mourn the NBC of old, which created such gems as 30 Rock and Community. If this is the future of television, I want no part in watching it.
  5. Jan 17, 2013
    Bleh, I tried to watch but absolutely nothing in this is funny or original. Your same old sitcom cliches that have been done to death. Not even a Romney presidency could have saved this show.
  6. Jan 29, 2013
    Not for me or the wife. Almost made it through the pilot, but couldn't quite do it. Writing-wise, after about ten minutes, I realized every single character was talking in the same style of voice of seen used for Josh Gad in the movies I've seen him in. And I liked Josh in those movies because he was distinctive. But now his voice is coming out of every single character and what wasNot for me or the wife. Almost made it through the pilot, but couldn't quite do it. Writing-wise, after about ten minutes, I realized every single character was talking in the same style of voice of seen used for Josh Gad in the movies I've seen him in. And I liked Josh in those movies because he was distinctive. But now his voice is coming out of every single character and what was once charming is now just annoying - at least for me. On network TV, Modern Family continues to be the high bar for me right now. Expand
  7. Dec 19, 2012
    This show was cringe worthy. My wife and I were looking for something moderately funny to pass the time and resorted to watching Modern Family reruns on the DVR by the time this was over. How could anyone have found this funny? It's not even worthy of "so bad it's funny" status. It honestly thinks it's clever and that's the worst part of all.
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    Laconic version: Cliche storm of a sitcom with the Oval Office as its setting. Stay clear. This show would be a better fit if it aired back in the 80's.
  9. Mar 22, 2013
    I really went into this show to be bad going in. The previews looked meh at best, and the concept didn't seem that interesting, but surprisingly it has been really funny. Argueably one of the funniest shows on network TV right now in fact. At first I thought it was just because my expectations were so low, but we went back and watched all the episodes we had missed and they were all funny.
  10. Dec 18, 2012
    This show seemed to be a slam dunk - original director of Modern Family, a great premise, funny stars. The pilot was a huge faceplant, however. The third act was the President of the US playing tennis against a foreign dignitary and the crowd chanting, "USA"!?!? If this show is going to succeed it has to have some grounded plotlines and let the humor come from the character dynamics. It'sThis show seemed to be a slam dunk - original director of Modern Family, a great premise, funny stars. The pilot was a huge faceplant, however. The third act was the President of the US playing tennis against a foreign dignitary and the crowd chanting, "USA"!?!? If this show is going to succeed it has to have some grounded plotlines and let the humor come from the character dynamics. It's already asking a lot of the audience to believe this family is in the White House, the president is Romney-looking Bill Pullman (with a Black Chief-of-Staff?). I don't think I can stomach another watch. Someone let us know if it gets any better. Collapse
  11. Dec 18, 2012
    after a long drawn out unsuccessful run of comedy's and sitcom's, NBC has finally scooped a frozen bit of ice cream out of an oven!!!! 1600 Penn is amazing show can't wait until the season starts!
  12. Dec 19, 2012
    This show is hilarious! Great cast, great writing, a real breath of fresh air amid a struggling NBC comedy lineup. The pilot had my whole family laughing out loud, and I can't wait to see the rest of the season once it premieres in January.
  13. Dec 19, 2012
    This is a really great premise for the show and it's only going to get better. Really fun characters. Skip is such a weird, bull in a china shop to have as the lead -- I'm excited for more episodes!!!
  14. Jan 10, 2013
    Waste of time. A very boring, forgetful, and unfunny show. Will not watch another episode unless they can make some big changes. The ending was in very bad taste. I would compare this to "THE NEW NORMAL" GARBAGE
  15. May 8, 2013
    Very funny show. They stick together as a family. We look forward to watching it each week. It has a similar dynamic as Modern Family, with The White House and the Presidency as the backdrop. The characters are all like-able, with the oldest son providing the funniest lines as he always tries to help, but ends up doing so in some way other than he intended.

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Cute, initially, the bull-in-a-china-shop premise wears a little thin until you realize there are others in the family capable of embarrassing dad, too.
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Jan 11, 2013
    All in all, Skip, an unkempt ball of puppyish energy to whom the writers feed a wealth of good material, is by far the best thing about this show. Jenna Elfman is all right as first lady and the rest of the cast hovers around the edges not making much of an impression.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Jan 10, 2013
    The broad comedy in 1600 Penn derives from familiar sitcom clich├ęs being magnified by the Oval Office fishbowl. It's a gimmick that may have trouble holding up to a second term, though the cast is certainly game.