• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 17, 2013
  • Season #: 1
8.5

1. Nov 18, 2013
    Very good. Solid acting, great visual effects, promising story. And most important thing that there was no good TV series in this cyberpunk climate till now. Looking forward to next episodes
  2. Nov 17, 2013
    Is it original? That's arguable. With all of the garbage on TV these days, this is extremely refreshing. Futuristic type shows usually don't do well but I have to say, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Karl Urban is one of my favorite actors and is pretty good in this too.

I really hope that this around for a while but futuristic shows don't seem to last long. Fingers crossed.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    Gave it a shot by watching the first 3 episodes, but it was quickly obvious that this is yet another cookie cutter show. By episode 3 we had the laughable scenario where someone who would never, ever be given a field assignment in real life (the robot technician) was thrown into an undercover assignment and, predictably, his life was in danger without ever actually being in danger. At the end of this formulaic episode the previews for episode 4 showed yet another secondary character once again being in danger unless our protagonists comply with the bad guys' demands.

This type of unimaginative and predictable plot lines are simply not engaging or entertaining. It get very old to see the same plots dressed up in different settings.

Add to this the utter implausibility of the show's timeline, and what we end up with is a ridiculous piece of nonsense that, while well-acted, cannot stand up to even casual scrutiny.
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    Wow! I tried to watch it but it just didn't keep my attention. I don't know what it need or what it is missing but it really sucks!

The special effects are cool so I may give it another try.

There is one thing that truly, truly bug me... it is the year 2048 and the technology is off the chain in all areas except weapons!!! What gives? You mean to tell me that they/we are still
    shooting bullets? Where are the lasers or sound wave weapons?

This show has insulted my intelligence and is best suited for the teens.

Nonetheless, I may give it another chance, we shall see.
  5. Dec 22, 2013
    Really enjoying this series so far. It doesn't take itself too seriously. The writers have tried to create interesting story lines with technologically advancement issues that they think may be problematic in the future. Karl Urban delivers a solid performance throughout along with most of the cast.
  6. Nov 29, 2013
    Utterly boring I'm afraid. The plot is disconnected and quite ridiculous and makes very little sense. The story is chock-full of the same cop characters we've seen in every other show only this time the writers decided to spice it up with robots.
  7. Dec 5, 2013
    Four episodes in and I am really enjoying the show. Karl Urban and Michael Ealy work great together. There back and forth banter can be extremely hilarious. The action scenes and special effects are also very well done. All of this makes for a very enjoyable show, but the familiarity of the futuristic cop theme does bring down the experience a little bit. Still, it's an enjoyable show even if it is unoriginal. I will continue to watch it and if I feel the need to I will update my review at a later time. Expand
  8. Nov 21, 2013
    First two episodes managed to entertain me, which some series have failed to do recently (SHIELD anyone?). Hasn't made the strongest impression yet, but I'm keen to finding out where it'll go. Storyline and characters are there to make things interesting.
  9. Nov 18, 2013
    Almost Human is a procedural that feels familiar, but is elevated by its appealing leads. Honestly, if the series had cast actors other than Karl Urban and Michael Ealy, I don't think it would have worked. How you feel about this show is going to be determined by whether or not you can accept its procedural elements. It does feel familiar, but in a nostalgic way. It's an odd feeling giving the unique setting, but its not necessarily a bad thing.

Another aspect that will determine your feelings is how interested you are in Dorian. To me it's fascinating to watch how Dorian is both human and not; a reflection of his creators but completely different. He is the life that humans have created, but isn't subservient. The first two episodes only hint at the potential of this arc, but if they choose to go down that road, (which it seems that they are), it will be a fascinating ride.

Give it a shot.
  10. Dec 3, 2013
    I like it so far. Sure, the future science is questionable, but what show or movie has true and actual science behind it? None. I like the character interaction, and yes, this is simply a cop buddy show with some sci-fi thrown in, but in many ways it's as good as or better than most cop buddy shows out there. The acting is solid. The action is solid as well. The technology and future logic decisions are as good as you're going to get with any TV show. Karl Urban has the right amount of grit, but also some funny moments as he learns to work with his partner.

Sure, maybe they could make titanium Robocop type cops, but maybe they use those heavily armored, non-human like robots for the military. I'd like to think they keep the friendlier, more human, (and more disposable) androids for the police department. The type of androids who serve and protect humans and have to interact with humans on more human level. Police work is more than just shooting and killing. It's easier to relate to a human looking android than an armored machine.

It's better than most series on network TV today, and at least it isn't written for teenagers or about pretty vampires and other monsters who aren't scary, who are all too cool for anything near believability, logic, or intelligent dialogue.
  11. Nov 24, 2013
    Obviously it's nothing we haven't seen already, yet "Almost Human" still manages to entertain. It has great visual effects and an interesting story. (Though it is a bit It's generic and a rehash of sci-fi stories from previous TV shows and movies, and reminds me of the blend of sci-fi we got from Oblivion and Elysium earlier this year.) I liked Michael Ealy and Karl Urban's (who is known for his work on Star Trek and The Lord Of The Ring trilogy) acting and their partnership; it reminds me of (Fox’s other TV show) Sleepy Hollow’s Ichabod Crane and Abbie Mills.

I will have to see more episodes to give a final judgement; looks promising. I will update this review soon.

If you liked this review, read my other reviews (by clicking on my name) on a wide selection of movies, TV shows, and videogames and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts!
  12. Nov 19, 2013
    I've just finished watching the pilot. It was better than i expected. The actors are great and the storyline keeps me interested. I hope it can continue on this good way.
  13. Dec 12, 2013
    Though I have seen this idea before, I like the characters and their interactions. Just enough in the future to make the setting interesting. I'll keep on watching.
  14. Nov 18, 2013
    Been waiting for such for a very long time. Judge Dreddish Deus Ex with some great effects, acting and even better music. Hope the story is going to be just as good.
  15. Nov 27, 2013
    all i can say is Perfect such a great perfect show ,great cast and great idea ,finally something new in television who can't see that means they should change their jobs because they aren't good as critics
  16. Dec 16, 2013
    It's been excellent so far!
    Everything is solid, the effects are great, the characters are charismatic and it has a good dose of humour!
    I foresee good things for this.
  17. Dec 3, 2013
    This show is by far the best thing to hit the TV this fall. Special effects are Top notch for a television show. Karl Urban is great as usual and I really like the chemistry him and his android partner are developing. If you are looking for something with action, humor and a good sci-fi storyline.....watch this show!!!!!!!
  18. Dec 10, 2013
    Love this fast paced show. The banter between the two leads is extremely well written and the chemistry between these two actors is amazing. The other thing I like, this show isn't a remake nor a spinoff. It's unique and so far, completely entertaining.
  19. Dec 10, 2013
    Yeah I know it has a few classic sci-fi cliches but I actually like the relationship between Karl Urban & Michael Ealy which makes up for a lot. Give it a few episodes and they will grow on you
  20. Dec 23, 2013
    A great show, JJ Abrams has another winner. Neat character personalities. Michael Ealy is a smart, really likable character. The Sci-Fi content is well done.
  21. Feb 3, 2014
    This is the type of show that I could live off of for years to come.
    This may seem silly, but the show brings me into its world and out of this one, which is plagued by depression and symptoms of PTSD.

As a Marine combat veteran, I approve this show!!

It's greatness and multifaceted content is what we need. There is nothing else like this on TV.
  22. Nov 20, 2013
    Awesome show, at least so far. Very charming leads, and while I don't normally watch procedurals the sci-fi elements and great acting draw me in. I'm sure it will also become something as beloved as Fringe was, and with the creator behind that working on it, along with JJ Abrams executive producing, Almost Human is something I will be watching for a while.
  23. Nov 29, 2013
    A derivative show that is done extremely well. I will admit that the pilot left me a bit cold but I decided to stick with the show for a few more episodes. Episode three, "Are you Receiving", was particularly well written with well-paced action and suspense. I know, you can imagine Bruce Willis lurking around every corner, but this episode was excellent nonetheless.

The leads, Karl
    Urban as the human detective and Michael Ealy as Dorian, the robot detective have matured very well into their parts. Particularly, I think Mr. Ealy has done a remarkable job of putting the "human" into "Almost Human". Expand
  24. Nov 20, 2013
    It's not good. Not good at all. A visual identity borrowed to Minority Reports & that's about it. It's really boring. It's basically a cop-duo for the near future. But if you want cops & elements from the future, "continuum" is just trashing "almost human"
  25. Feb 10, 2014
    I only hope FOX see sense and keep this gum on the air, to many shows have been cancelled before they have time to shine. Let this one be a win for us sci-fi nerds out there.
  26. Nov 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very weak display.

I was very interested in seeing this show mainly because i saw some big last names involved in the production but i was sadly proven that not always this is a guarantee of a good piece of television. As a big fan of science fiction my hopes were quite literally crushed the very second the show started, with mind boggingly generic sound effects for guns (that are apparently super high-tech yet seem to be nothing different from what we have now). Seriously, "pew pew" is the echo of the 90's, who the hell thought that was a good idea? From early reviews i collected that apparently the story and world building are the biggest pro of this show it seems i've seen the wrong show, because a cliche ridden intro ("HANG ON BUDDY, WE GON' MAKE OUT OF HERE ALIVE, SCREW THAT ANDROID") does not bide well for a start. I could let the weak CGI slide, but the directing i cannot. Quite simply the laziest directing i've seen in a long while the shots were taken in such manner that i thought i'm watching CSI 2048. It doesn't really help that the movie explains a story in flashbacks and a very forced dialogue between the protagonist and a doctor. Seriously? This episode is atrocious and i won't even bother seeing another episode, as I find it hard to believe these crucial flaws will be adressed in the future.
  27. Nov 22, 2013
  28. Jan 14, 2014
    I love this show! Love the DRN, his personality and all the little touches (gadgets, etc.) the producers take to make it convincingly futuristic. Hope to see more "off-duty" interaction between his flat-mate in his new living situation soon!
  29. Feb 5, 2014
    This series has almost everything. It has good actors, a solid props department, good locations, camera, music and quite decent special effects. What it does not have is good writing.

From only a few episodes in you can tell that the series has no soul whatsoever. Every episode is on it's own, which is very bad for any science-fiction or fantasy series, because it erodes any illusion
    that it takes place inside a fictional world. Instead of establishing that world, futuristic and fictional technologies are thrown in as one-shot plot instruments, discarded right after single use.

Eventually it is just an above average cop show, but instead of getting something out of it's science fiction environment it gets watered down by it. If even the weirdest conclusions and circumstances just get made up on the basis on "some singular weird-tech could do that perhaps" nothing really matters.

What makes it all worse is that the authors have absolutely no understanding of how technology works, how it permeates our every day lives and how people interact with it. At its core, the series is surprisingly technophobic and futurephobic, which leaves a very strange impression for a near-future science fiction series.

I enjoy watching it, but only as long as I do so. As soon as I start thinking about it it pains me, which is never a good sign. Good fiction does not and should not do that. Worst of all it is no inspiring at all. Good fiction and artwork should be inspirational at least on some level. Almost Human is not, even though it is Almost Good.

Score 5 for the cop show part, complete failure as near-future sci-fi series. Can't really say it could be rated much better than 3.
  30. Nov 17, 2013
    The acting is so-so, The plot is a bit generic, and the action is fine. I was sort of hyped for the show but after seeing the first episode, I am far from sold on it. I'd be willing to give it 4-5 episodes but it has got to get better.
  31. Nov 29, 2013
    Not a terrible show, but I do not think I'm gonna watch it anymore, unless there's nothing else on. You might wanna give it a try, in case you might like it.
  32. Dec 19, 2013
    Unlike most new sci-fi shows in the last 2 years, Almost Human is actually pretty good. The budget is clearly there as the future looks sleek and believable, with tons of cool tech. The acting is good, and the two leading characters are interesting and have great chemistry. The writing is good, and the show successfully explores the big question of how we should treat robots as equals or as inferior machines. Only negative things to say is that the supporting cast is weak, and the show could use a stronger overall story/direction. Expand
  33. Apr 25, 2014
    PLEASE renew Almost Human for a Season 2. Any networks out there listening this show has a huge fan base and there are no other shows close to this story line. There are so many Vampire, Werewolves, Supernatural and your regular cop crime shows, but none that are really futuristic working with robots as their partners. The characters are strong, acting excellent, story lines great and it is action packed, This show is far from boring and deserves a second chance at a season 2! I'm going to be really disappointed if FOX doesn't renew Almost Human :( PLEASE!!! Any Almost Human fans out there get the word out, rate or write a review lets get ourselves heard. Expand
  34. Dec 23, 2013
    The effects are awesome, (although ironically, the weapons seem way low tech by the weapons that have been in movies these days), the stories are well written implementing the use of future technology to create dramatic issues in 2048. Its been a long time coming for something in the cyberpunk, Blade-runner, Minority Report, AI type genre. My only complaint... Karl Urban is not the right actor for the part, he looks kind of cool, but. Acting wise, imagine these actors in Kennex's (Urban's) role: Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson, Denzel Washington, Tom Cruise, etc... These guys would blow us away and win Emmy's for sure. I realize these guys are A-list actors and probably unaffordable, but b/c they're just a lot better at playing this kind of role, and we've seen them do it, they kind of ruin it for Urban. Karl was awesome in LOTR and Judge Dredd and Star Trek, but he's so awkward and inappropriate in this role, it makes it a bit hard to watch and it drags down the show. It is unfitting or un-matching with the show's great premise, story, and special effects. Urban simply seems like he doesn't know how to act in this role. Can't complain about Minka Kelly, she's too pretty, her role seems like it could be expanded to the benefit of the show, Lili Taylor is okay just okay but I need to see more, and Michael Ealy as Dorian is fine, he seems to fit the role. I like this show a lot and feel it has promise. I guess having just finished Breaking Bad, the casting was unbelievable...Bryan Cranston nails Mr. White, Aaron Paul is a flawless Jesse, Dean Norris is overwhelmingly charismatic, RJ Mitte is very well cast, Jonathan Banks, what an assassin....these actors, phenomenally lit their characters up...It seems, with all the special effects for Almost Human, they couldn't afford better to cast better actors. I want to keep watching this show. Please do something about these issues. Expand
  35. Jan 6, 2014
    Usually, it's the second or third season before the writers get lazy, kick back, grab a donut, and write some dumb ass hostage, kidnap, or bomb around the neck story. Any hack can do that. What a waste of a great premise, a pretty good ensamble cast, and decent direction.. Up to now, the demeaning of the "little guy", a 'la Saturday morning cartoons, was the only fault. Coulda been a great hybrid of SF and cop show.

They missed their chance.

I'm gone
  36. Nov 17, 2013
    Pretty good. Its set in a not so distant future where androids are common place. Great visuals and plenty of potential. Interested on where they will take the show.
  37. Nov 18, 2013
    A lot of cliches but done in compelling way. Solid acting, fair CGI and very good music so far (by Crystal Method). Not a big fan of Fox but even I have to raise my hat for their new tv-series this season.
  38. Nov 18, 2013
    Very entertaining first episode. Great visuals and likable characters. Some cheesy dialog at times but nothing too bad. Some funny exchanges as well. Overall, a refreshing show. I'll keep watching for sure.
  39. mrq
    Nov 18, 2013
    What really drew me into this show was Keith Urban since I am an avid Trekkie. However, I was really expecting a futuristic sci-fi flick more in the line of the failed Knight Rider and Terra Nova. Fortunately, I was modestly surprised with the show having a good premise and follow through. Almost Human is hardly original and there are definitely a few groaners and "seen-it-before" bits, but altogether not a bad addition to the lineup.

My hope is that the screenwriting will improve and that we will see more interaction with the "synthetic." However, if I see a Knight Rider re dux this show is going in my DV R's trash bin.
  40. Nov 20, 2013
    The 2-day series premiere was fantastic and looks very promising. The show is very original and creative because theres no shows on right now that is set in a cyborg-type universe. The special FX were fairly good but needs some improvements. Karl Urban does a great acting job and very much fits the series. Overall great show and I look forward to future episodes.
  41. Nov 25, 2013
    When you can make an android that is convincing as a robot and/or a human you have success to me. Show combines the realism of cops and criminals with ideas from today, with technology you wouldn't always think about from the future. Very enjoyable so far.
  42. Dec 7, 2013
    This show is the only show I am currently watching and I love it. I love the whole concept and the combat and action. I wasn't a fan of Ep. 2 where it was just too much sci-fi for me and not enough action but besides that its a great show and I've loved every single episode so far. I think it has great potential.
  43. Dec 20, 2013
    Really like it. It's just what I've been wanting for a sci-fi TV series. It oddly reminds me of Stargate SG-1 but with only Teal'c and Colonel O'Neil, which is pretty sweet from what I can tell so far. There's the hard ass tough-cop-on-the-edge with his almost indestructible almost all knowing android partner with a soft side. Great combo. 10/10
  44. Dec 23, 2013
    though the story in each episode seems forced in some spots, i really appreciate the relationship between the cop duo. I like the visuals, alright fighting scenes. What gives this show a 8 instead of a 7 from is Karl Urban he really makes this show go with his acting.
  45. Jan 27, 2014
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. Didn't even see the first four episodes, and was still hooked. The story lines are interesting, but I love the chemistry of the all the actors. It's very funny too.
  46. Mar 12, 2014
    Very good show that i can only hope gets a real chance to show its potential. It's got great characters, comedy and action. I really hope Fox keeps this going and look forward to the future of Almost human.
  47. Apr 7, 2014
    Great cast, story and graphics. One of my top favorite series. I am looking forward to many new episodes. I would be greatly disappointed in FOX if they cancel it.
    The Critics are wrong as usual.
  48. Jun 3, 2014
    I never watched sci-fi shows before, but I decided to watch Almost Human. And I loved the characters, plot, visual effects, actors... Michael and Karl have an amazing chemistry on screen! It has action, drama, romance (John and Stahl) and also comedy. Almost Human is funnier than some comedy shows...

Favorite episodes of season one: Skin and Beholder.
  49. Jun 22, 2014
    I watched up until Episode 4 where right at the end Detective John Kennex mercilessly executed Captain Alexio Barros (a dirty cop). He shot him in the head and then basically went "pppf"!! I guess they didn't have enough evidence to prove the guy was corrupt? I lost all respect for the main character of the show right then and there.

In addition, what a ridiculous idea for a
    plotline!? They find out the bad guys are looking for a new chemist so they sign up their resident nerd to go undercover. It was obvious that the guy wasn't up for the task, but they put in him danger of his life anyway - almost like a bunch of college kids forcing one of their initiate outcasts into a harmless party prank. It was an eye-rolling moment.

At first there seemed to be so much going for this show - some great production names like Bad Robot & J.J. Abrams, such a great cast, some impressive special effects, and the unique futuristic AI premise, but the nonsensical writing went off the rails.

I'm relieved that this show wasn't renewed for a second season because now I don't have to watch it just on the principle that it was a promising new sci-fi series. I won't even feel guilty for not finishing Season 1.
  50. Jan 6, 2014
    Great show, and a solid metaphor of how technology is both a blessing and a curse for the current culture. Acting is solid, and the writing is promising. It has a nice blend of both comedy and drama, and Karl Urban and Michael Ealy play off each other perfectly.
  51. Mar 4, 2014
    The critic rating of this show is sinful and exposes a deep divide between viewers and critics. If you don't like sci-fi because it's sci-fi, then you won't like this show. Otherwise read on. It starts out a bit shaky and plastic, but by mid season is in full stride and it's charm begins to shine through. It doesn't break any real new ground in terms of science fiction lore - but not everyone can be Greg Bear - and honestly, mass consumption may not be ready for ground breaking sci-fi (take the end of A.I. for example - which left most of the audience confused or angry because they thought aliens came). Also, at the end of the day, good sci-fi knows that it's only time that it's changing - the rest, the people and the drama, is the same. There are some mistakes made - for example one episode centers around bionic transplants while another features an organic printer . . . (they make some weak mention of organs not being printable. . but seriously we're already printing organs) . The script is well put together in terms of character depth and dialogue. The mood is light and bright. the over-all experience makes you feel good without being too optimistic. I personally appreciate that the writers seem to be staying clear of any overt messages and are taking a more altruistic approach. If you're a fan of sci-fi you know that this is difficult and should be applauded. Finally - my gripes:
    1. Please get the episodes to be serialized.
    2. Please get off of the "case by case" formula. You've got a smart audience - use it.
    3. Please stop the CSI plastic aesthetic. The future will look like people live there. There need to be more props, more clutter and more to look at on the sets. Cops are pigs - or rather - they're very busy and underfunded.
    In other words, this show mixed with "The Killing" would be my favorite thing ever.

One last note to a previous reviewer - people will be using ballistic weapons for a very long time. This show does a very good job of accurately dating the tech - a very difficult thing to do - if you can accept mass produced androids with souls as being just 30 years out that is.
  52. Feb 4, 2014
    This is a good show period. It has a big time hollywood quality main actor, great special effects, intruiging action that isn't over the top, an extremely well done aproximation of what the near future could look like, and it has a great dynamic on screen relationship / interaction between the main character and his android partner.

Between the high quality of the show and the way it
    approaches things with just the right amount of action, long term story arch mixed with single episode plots, character development and discussing "AI vs. soul" issues a la Ghost In The Shell, this is one of the best shows I have come across in a long time.

If you like things, watch this show. If you like stuff, you should watch this how. And if you like things, stuff AND Sci fi, then you should definitely watch this show. :P
  53. Mar 8, 2014
    Almost Human isn't a particularly deep show. For the most part, it's its futuristic setting that makes this above average television. Sure, this show may never win any Emmys but I feel its nice to have a show like this whose ambitions are little more than being just plain fun to watch.

How much you enjoy Almost Human greatly depends on whether or not you're a fan of case-of-the-week
    shows. There are a few strands of serialized threads that will carry onto next Season if it's renewed; however for the most part, each episode goes into reboot mode. What separates this from CSI is, again, the time period in which its set in. When the show gives us cases that's only possible in the fictional 2048 the creative team (helmed by the famous J.H. Wyman and J.J. Abrams) set up for us, the show really shines.

Unfortunately, Almost Human doesn't always do that. "The Bends" is a good example of how the show can go wrong. There's an undiscovered drug here that could have potentially new storytelling options but instead, the episode played out like a typical episodic arc. Long story short, our heroes, Kennex and Dorian, catch the bad guy using common methods found in other procedural dramas. Later, the show actually revisits undiscovered drugs in the nifty "Perception", with a focus more on the effects of the drugs.

Truth is, the show can be pretty damn enjoyable when it wants to be. Viewers will see some awesome tech on display, that are in some ways quite plausible. Bullets that can have more controlled destinations, human-like androids, holographic screens, genetically modified humans are all awesomely present.

Karl Urban plays the smart mouthed Kennex, who recently has some serious relationship issues. The pilot reveals that his ex girlfriend was part of a criminal organization, and caused the death of his ambush squad some time ago. When he wakes up from his coma, he re-joins the police force and is partnered with Dorian (Michael Ealy), an android with shockingly human like feelings. We see Dorian actually experiencing emotion, unlike his counterparts at the precinct. He's, of course, the reason behind the show's title. We are presented with some interesting questions regarding Dorian's humanity throughout the freshmen Season as he interacts with people. No, the themes aren't overly subtle but its fascinating to ponder what it means to be human.

Urban and Ealy work marvellously together. There's never a dull moment when the two are on screen together. Their frequent banter can get a tad excessive, though it's entertaining for the most part. The supporting cast works well too but Urban and Ealy are the definite highlights. Also: thank god the boss of the police department isn't a total ass for once.

Almost Human is a solid show that is quite possibly the best thing FOX has on TV at the moment. The show had its ups and downs, and it may possibly be better as a serial drama. I really hope FOX gives this another chance to grow, and possibly become something truly special.
  54. Jan 7, 2014
    The show is still in its infancy. There's certainly a lot of potential here. It's a little bit weak at times but it has a lot of very awesome aspects to it.
  55. Jun 24, 2014
    I really don't know why people love this show. Nothing is special about it and the story lines are stupid and I could care less for the sci-fi. Karl Urban is good in this boring and really sub-par and failed drama.
  56. Mar 20, 2014
    Almost Human might be America's most Sci-Fi, Sci-fi series not taking place in outer space to date, much like Canada's Continuum and the UK's Primeval. Almost Human is very much like an I, Robot or Surrogates (2008) TV series, taking place in the near-far future where police are required to partner up with an MX android. Accurate, precise, super strong, expendable and stupid. The show focuses on detective John Kennex (Karl Urban) who becomes partenered with an older model android, the DRN (Michael Early). the DRN, Dorian, belonged to a line that was discontinued due to emotional unstability. Unlike the MX's, incapable of original thought, the DRNs are fully humanoid androids, capable of philosophical thought and intellect that surpasses their human counterparts.

The series has extremely strong character development which is a strong point of the series. It boasts amazing CG, a strong budget, good action choreography and isn't afraid of dark plotlines. It is a procedural drama, bringing a new case each week touching on highly interesting technology related crimes. A must see for any sci-fi fan out there.
  57. Jan 7, 2014
    Almost Human consistently delivers as a new twist on the buddy-cop genre. The show is smart, funny, and not afraid to spend money for decent special effects. The only downside of the show is Minka Kelly- who is pretty but terribly boring.

I'm really curious to see where this show goes.
  58. Jul 26, 2014
    Karl Urban is awesome, and Minka Kelly is gorgeous. Also, this show had a lot of fun sci-fi elements. It just needed more focus and some momentum, instead of endless case-of-the-week episodes. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot in spite of its flaws.
  59. Jan 30, 2014
    It is now January 30 and this show gets better and better. The repartee between the fabulous leads is a riot and the plots clever enough with nice special effects. I hope Fox gives this show a chance to develop, perhaps with more characters to have primary rolls (like Alias and Fringe). I save this show for nights I want to be entertained, laugh a bit, and engrossed enough to escape the realities of the day. Not excessively violent like Blacklist which is refreshing too. Expand
  60. Jan 4, 2014
    I really truly do like this show so far. I'm living in Indonesia now so it's nice to see some entertaining and fairly well made TV series. I love the cast, and the acting seems well done. I would actually really like to give this show a 10/10 but really I can't because I don't feel like the show is going anywhere after 6 episodes. The first episode really caught my attention with the syndicate and the main character's situation. I really think that the writers should continue along that story line. I feel like the show is lacking solidity. It's only because of the lack of story line that I give this show a 7. For sure I'm going to continue watching Almost Human because I still enjoy the comedy, action, and high budget. I was happy to see that this show has pretty good special effects. Expand
  61. Jan 7, 2014
    The second episode was not the greatest, but since then I've really enjoyed it! It's creative, funny, interesting and exciting! Love the new show. Give it a solid chance if you like syfy or similar shows.
  62. Feb 3, 2014
    Its way better than most of the rubbish out there. The show has action, and Karl Urban does a good job. The guy who plays as the robot rills fits his role. This show is done an injustice with its odd air times and has been treated poorly by Fox. I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
  63. Feb 4, 2014
    Almost Human has all the makings of a great show, if Fox is smart enough to let it hit its stride. It's already leaps and bounds above most regular TV programming, and it hasn't fallen into the pit of taking itself too seriously to be depressing or boring, while still providing us actually interesting storylines for each episode that REALLY USE the technology of the future! One thing that most sci-fi shows end up doing is writing themselves into the corner and having to figure out how to solve crimes without all their hi-tech, while this show really invests in world building and using the futuristic technology that it created- All while managing to actually come across as feasible and realistic. Ealy and Urban have amazing chemistry to boot and make a great team. I'm very excited for this show to continue, but with Fox altering the airing schedule just like they did with Firefly it's no wonder that it's going to be a sleeper hit. Here's to hoping that people see it for what a gold mine it is before it's too late! Expand
  64. Feb 25, 2014
    I haven't enjoyed a sci-fi show like this in a long time. The acting is solid and you can really connect with the main characters in the show. Looking forward to each new episode. Together with the walking dead it's the only TV time I'm setting aside right now (until GOT restarts) everything else seems so beat/boring.
  65. Feb 27, 2014
    This is the best show I have seen in a long time. Had to create an account to dispute the critic ratings, they are way off the mark here. Its a brilliant exploration of cyber morality, modern day and looking to the near future, which is very relevant to today's societ.y..

Its viewed through a very heavily Philip K Dick styled lens (if you dont know he was more a writer, but
    Bladerunner, Scanner Darkly are a couple movies based on his books, and Total Recall was heavily influenced by him as well). The execution is near perfect, great connection with the main characters completely, very high production value.

Its not a futuristic shoot-em-up (though plenty of that) its an examination of important moral issues that may come to pass with tragic consequences, with great acting.

Best show since "the wire".
  66. Mar 16, 2014
    It may only get one season (I hope it gets a second), but the one season was enjoyable. The series revolves around a series of procedural crime investigations with science fantasy elements and the human/android buddy cop combo who investigate them. Many components of the show are tired: the mysterious inside job in the police force, the rebel detective on a mission, the robot trying to be human. But the series quickly pushes past these and settles into a reasonably consistent rhythm.

The crimes are occasionally fun to gawk it, and the Blade Runner-ish future landscape is intriguingly rendered, but the thing that makes it work is the chemistry between Karl Urban and Michael Ealy, who tear the screen up every time their characters meet with piercingly funny repartee. The secondary characters don't get much love, but the primary ones are substantial and interesting enough to carry the show. A mythology element is woven among the week-to-week procedurals, but it doesn't really go anywhere by the end of the season. The score is catchy electronica by the Crystal Method, calling to mind Danny Boyle's use of Underworld for his sci-fi pictures.

Ultimately, like JH Wyman's previous effort, Fringe, the show succeeds not as a procedural or a genre piece or even as a comedy (though it has its moments), but because of the characters and their relationships.
  67. Mar 4, 2014
    This is literally the best show ever!! I am so addicted to it!! It is unbelievably unique and intriguing. I really hope this incredible show does not get cancelled!!
  68. D90
    Mar 5, 2014
    I love in general all Science Fiction TV shows for some reason (yeah, even FlashForward), so it isn't estrange that I love this show too.

Visual effects, acting, everything is , at least, decent, when it isn't outstanding. They have even his own mythology! with thinks like The Wall, chromes, XRNs and synthetic soul... Every TV show capable of create his own mythology makes me fall in
    love with him. It happens with BSG, LOST, Fringe...

I think the worse of this show is the fact that all episodes are auto-conclusive. If FOX renews the show and they create a good arc to the season using parts of the mythology that they already show us, I think this show can be something BIG.
  69. Apr 24, 2014
    I am so hooked on this show. Love the casting,,directing everything about this show. cannot wait till the next episode.. please do not cancel this show. Love the future aspect and they idea of human cops working with robot cops that look human.. it is really cool.
  70. Aug 20, 2014
    for those who love AI, androids and awesome tech - in a reachable future setting, will love this sci-fi serie.
    Just a great serie, with a dash of humanrobot emotions. This is the best serie I've ever seen.

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    The pilot (only the first hour was sent for review) is well made with strong leads and several intriguing hooks. Almost Human is almost there.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Nov 18, 2013
    Urban and Ealy are competent in their roles, damaged spirits destined to become brothers of a sort, not if, but only when.... While some viewers will be oblivious to the show’s racial politics, others will struggle to find a point. Somebody at Fox short-circuited.
  3. Reviewed by: Lesley Smith
    Nov 18, 2013
    If the premise intrigues you, watch or rewatch Blade Runner instead, and offer Almost Human the all-too-human body swerve.