• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 5, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
8.0

1. Dec 8, 2014
    This show is a disgrace. The whole thing is like a horror-themed episode of Glee or something. Obviously a vehicle for pushing gay/civil rights agendas, completely tame "horror," and laughably bad dialogue and idiot plots out the wazoo. Sometimes I put it on in the room for emergency laughs. If anyone seriously likes this show then they are most likely teenaged, homosexual, female, dumb,This show is a disgrace. The whole thing is like a horror-themed episode of Glee or something. Obviously a vehicle for pushing gay/civil rights agendas, completely tame "horror," and laughably bad dialogue and idiot plots out the wazoo. Sometimes I put it on in the room for emergency laughs. If anyone seriously likes this show then they are most likely teenaged, homosexual, female, dumb, or some combination. I give it a 2 because some of the shots are pretty decent, though many are also botched. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2014
    Holy **** this season is awful. It's American HORROR Story. Not American Musical Story. Least scary season and I thought Coven was awful. I'm really going to stop watching this. This season has SO much potential to be scary.
  3. Oct 22, 2014
    The most frightening and intriguing part of the show is the psychotic clown; the actual "Freak Show" is more or less a filler for the rest of the program.
    The core strength of AHS Freak Show is that the performers are the relatively "normal" ones, while the other townspeople are the "monsters."
    However, the most crippling part of Freak Show is the "extra treats" used to bring in the core demographic; blood and sex. Every episode so far has plenty of it. The clown shoving scissors through the back of someone's neck and decapitating him; the twins have a chat about masturbation; Lobster Boy is drafted by a group of women for his "talented hands"; etc. It's been done, and its mundane in the year 2014.
    If it's not already obvious, Dandy will likely be the white-faced, fanged clown that was depicted in the opening AHS Season 4 trailer.

Interesting format for the 4th season; considering other programs have been universally criticized for broadcasting on this topic.
  4. Oct 9, 2014
    The 2014 season is pitiful. Rather than introducing us to a cleverly written plot the show inundates us with unnecessary violence and sex during the first episode. This is the first season that I found myself annoyed by Jessica Lange. In all previous seasons she did a fantastic job. This season it feels like she is over acting and putting on a weak imitation of Meryl Streep with thatThe 2014 season is pitiful. Rather than introducing us to a cleverly written plot the show inundates us with unnecessary violence and sex during the first episode. This is the first season that I found myself annoyed by Jessica Lange. In all previous seasons she did a fantastic job. This season it feels like she is over acting and putting on a weak imitation of Meryl Streep with that awful German accent she is using. Expand
  5. Feb 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm writing this review in the hopes that, if you have any inclination to watch it for similar reasons as I, you might be spared the misfortune of doing so. After the actual story was revealed and I wasn't just trying to piece together what exactly was happening, I finally realized that it was just another rendition of the same tired old mad scientist, possessed house, killer ghost, Antichrist, and eventually, I'll assume, all of the other yawn-inducing horror plots that I've come to loathe. And to think I'd expected, due mostly to the description, some sort of semi-philosophical consideration of evil. What are people's motivations when they commit unspeakable murders? What drives a rapist to rape? These were the questions I was hoping to have answered. "Satan told 'em to!" or "They're a man." or "They're going insane." is about the best you can hope for from this show. It's not an in-depth exploration of mankind's capacity for evil; it's a shallow rehashing of the same dismissive explanations that everyone resorts to when their brain has to work hard and they'd rather put an end to that because, gosh golly, it's just got so many other things to do! Or, at least, that's what it tells you so it doesn't have to second-guess itself or use logic, god forbid. There was only one character that I actually liked and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to since he was a man. Did I mention that this show was written by feminists? The misandry is strong in this one. The writers did deprive me of enough information that I had to watch nine whole episodes to figure out what the show was going to be about. Tricking me into watching nine whole episodes of something I hate is a remarkable feat. For that, the acting, the costumes, and the possessed house itself (It's a pretty cool house. It's kind of a Victorian thing.), I give this show 2 out of 10 stars. Everyone did the best they could with what they had. Unfortunately, feces encased in gold is still feces. If you go any deeper than the epithelium of this show, you'll find that that's what lies beneath: boring, recycled feces. Expand
  6. Oct 24, 2013
    Estoy de acuerdo que el termino horror aclara el tono de la historia, pero los lugares comunes son abundantes, y no existe un verdadero respeto hacia el papel o personaje como fantasma. (más allá de tener "superpoderes como gasparin"

Dos o tres momentos celebres, no más. (aplausos para Moria)
  7. Jun 21, 2012
    Jessica Lange is amazing in this show and that mostly accounts for the 4/10 rating. I love horror. The thing is, horror works best when the viewer is invested in a protagonist who is experiencing the horror. Since everyone on this show is annoying , sick, or otherwise warped, it becomes more of a stylish exercise in creepy images than an actual story one can get into. I was reallyJessica Lange is amazing in this show and that mostly accounts for the 4/10 rating. I love horror. The thing is, horror works best when the viewer is invested in a protagonist who is experiencing the horror. Since everyone on this show is annoying , sick, or otherwise warped, it becomes more of a stylish exercise in creepy images than an actual story one can get into. I was really disappointed. I so wanted to like this show. Expand
  8. Feb 3, 2012
    This show is something on the lines of horrible with no clear direction where it wants to go. With some good acting and cheesy, cliche scares it is the worst FX has ever picked up!
  9. Dec 27, 2011
    I watched the entire season and was not impressed in the least. Why would I want to watch a show with ghosts who act just like living people? What is the point of being dead if you have the same issues when you were alive? Death is more of the same **** Really? Really!?!
  10. Dec 14, 2011
    A potpourri of the horror genre cliches, helplessly aimless blundering embarrassment. Frantic - and deadeningly boring at the same time. A waste of everything invested in the project, including the viewers' time. I quit watching it midseason.
  11. Dec 2, 2011
    Intriguing, but ultimately do I really want some of this stuff in my head? Troubling enough that I deleted all the recorded shows after watching only two. The world is warped enough, I could just watch the news, only without the emotional trauma.
  12. Nov 24, 2011
    I'll give the show this, it does not have a very obvious initial twist. One can predict things that happens in the middle of the show, yet not towards the end. Sadly, the show does not know how to pull off horror in an effective way. If you were to take the basis for the story and instead of focusing on the events going on around the protagonists you focus on the psyche of them, you couldI'll give the show this, it does not have a very obvious initial twist. One can predict things that happens in the middle of the show, yet not towards the end. Sadly, the show does not know how to pull off horror in an effective way. If you were to take the basis for the story and instead of focusing on the events going on around the protagonists you focus on the psyche of them, you could have a potentially good show. However, it takes the former direction and creates a forced, blatant, and apparent horror rather than a subtle, creepy type horror that slowly builds up until it forces someone to want to stop watching. This show isn't worth my time. Expand
  13. Oct 7, 2011
    Bored. Slow. Not scary. Nothing happens. No interest.Forced interpretations, especially Jessica Lange. Very little original argument. Flat characters.

The show may be ridiculous, but the humiliation and panic feel real. And there's something to be said for surprise.
  2. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Oct 5, 2011
    American Horror Story, from Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk of "Glee" and "Nip/Tuck," is a very standard creep-fest, an aggressively stylized mash-up of familiar haunted-house movies including "The Amityville Horror," "The Haunting," and "The Shining."
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Oct 5, 2011
    I loved the pilot, mostly because I could never predict where the story was going, a rarity in prime-time TV.