8.2

1. May 27, 2013
    Very disappointing, the show has strayed from its original formula and quality writing. Scenes are drawn out and uncomfortable to watch and the humor is just not there. The characters behavior is not consistent with the rest of the series and is all around a poor reboot of a beloved comedy show.
  2. May 27, 2013
    There was still some great wit in this revival, but the overall tone was depressing as nearly every character is in bad shape. The episodes are also split so that whole episodes focus on one character and some of the characters (like Tobias) are hard to take for that long. I won't give up on this show if they continue on with more seasons, but this one feels like a failure.
  3. Jun 5, 2013
    Season 4 feels like the remake of a movie that doesn't need to be remade, Arrested Development season 4 falls short on nearly all cylinders and either completely fails or tries far too hard at trying to force a laugh.

After sitting down with my entire family and watching the first couple episodes of this season I can say it was extremely boring and mildly funny. I love the narration,
    but they couldn't get the entire cast together not even for one episode this season which made me feel empty and really dissapointed inside. Expand
  4. May 28, 2013
    I loved the first three season and would prefer to watch one of them again. The decision to focus on one character per episode was a poor one because each character is great only in short doses. The story used to weave the characters together over one episode but not that weaving is over the full season and feels long winded. It like they stretched three episodes of material over the whole season.

Also the jokes like hot ham water or the cornballer that are easy to share with friends are gone as are the fun catchphrases and supporting characters. Nothing in this season deserves to be put on a shirt!

The only reasons I finished the season was because I paid for Netflix just for the show.
  5. May 28, 2013
    Taken from the first 5 episodes of the 4th season. Season 1-3 10/10

What have they done, in the effort to bring it back on Netflix, they clearly havent had the money to get every cast member involved, so thats led to this awful new one character per episode format.
    Sadly, these characters are not funny on their own, they go about boring lives. The glory of this comedy was putting them
    in a room, and watching them scheme and fight and joke off each other.

The very first episode is one of the most boring 30 minutes of my life, awful writing, boring scenes and story. A forced Loose Seal reference, forced cancelled references, dumb facebook joke, terrible young versions of characters, over narration. George Michael also feels too old to be the hilarious Cera character.
    This show has gone horribly away from what made it so good.
  6. Jun 6, 2013
    If George Lucas raped and murdered Indiana Jones and Star Wars from the memories of our youth, Arrested Development Season 4 tortured, maimed, killed, dug up, urinated on the corpses, then buried upside down, the memories of our youth. This is not just a bad show if you were starting with Season 4 and knew nothing of the series, it's a bad show if you were a super-fan of the first three Seasons. The format of one show dedicated to a single character's story arc, the truly over-the-top nonsensical meandering story line, the re-hashed jokes that were cheap rip offs of clever originals. In every single way, Season 4 comes up short against the originals.

I probably watched Season 4 a dozen times through, each time finding new jokes I had missed before. I doubt I'll suffer through the 15 episodes of Season 4 ever again. One of the strengths of the series was character interaction, quick dialog. With single characters so heavily focused on, it removed the interaction that made it so funny. With so many story lines that branch off and really never close and never go anywhere, even if they are setting it up for a movie, Season 4 turned me off, and bored me so supremely, I'll be waiting for the movie to be three years old and make it back to Netflix, as opposed to ever seeing it in the theaters.

2/15 episodes made me feel like I was watching a continuation of this fine series. The rest were just mediocre, or outright awful. As excited as I was for the release, this couldn't have been a bigger entertainment letdown. There's always money in the banana stand, but apparently that's where they left the funny. It pains me to say this-if you were a big fan...avoid Season 4.
  7. May 24, 2014
    After such a long time since it's initial cancelation, I'm surprised Netflix actually bothered bringing it back at all. However, given the results I really wished they hadn't. The show and cast is back, but the humor isn't. Aside from certain characters behaving wildly different then they did in previous seasons, Bateman's "Michael" is the worst offender, the whole structure of the show has changed, and not for the better.

Each episode, rather than focusing on all of the characters at once like in previous seasons, chooses to single out one character and progress their specific threads all the while tying them into the overall plot of the season. While this was an interesting idea, the writers ultimately fail to make it work. The overall plot, as well as the individual character plots, end up getting convoluted and confusing as episodes constantly jump back and forth through time. This can lead to the show feeling unfocused as it tries to juggle so many plot-threads at once. Even worse, it can lead to information just being repeated. So while the new focus is not only bad for the overall structure and plot of the show, it's also bad for the humor.

What made the first three seasons enjoyable, was that the interactions between the characters. Watching their different personalities clash was often hilarious because of the comedic chemistry between the characters. With the characters being split up this season we don't get that. Instead we get to find out that these characters aren't funny without each other, and are often just too awful to hold their own for an entire episode. The show tries to make it work by introducing new characters to fill the void, but they are ultimately bland and lack the on-screen chemistry the original cast had with each other. Overall this makes for a fourth season that very rarely brings any laughs and one that can be hard to sit through for an entire episode.

While I appreciate Netflix's attempt at bringing back the well-loved sitcom, I do not appreciate the results. Honestly, I feel that It would have been better to just have left the show as dead. If Netflix does decide to bring this show back for a fifth season, something I know really hope they do not, then I recommend the writers take a look at what made the previous seasons so successful because they are clearly missing it here. My total score for this season is a 4.4/10=Bad
    Jun 10, 2013
    I loved the first three seasons of Arrested Development. Each episode was like a roller coaster of fast paced, wickedly funny, densely packed interactions among an amazing cast of unforgettable characters.

But Season 4... well, it's just not the same for me.

It's not a roller coaster anymore. It can even feel slow in places. The laughs are still there, but they're spread out. And
    the characters are spread out too. They don't see each other as much. Instead of a lightning speed ride that jumps from Bluth to Bluth and from scene to hilarious scene, Season 4 stubbornly follows a single character for a full episode, sometimes to the point of completely ignoring the others.

For me, it just wasn't as fun as constantly hopping from one hilarious nutcase to another. I kept wanting more Buster, more Lucille, more GOB, more Tobias, etc. But no such luck. It seems like you can go hours in Season 4 with hardly a peep from so many of the outrageous personalities who made the first three seasons so delightful.

Instead, it seems like more effort has gone into setting up scenes that will be viewed from a different perspective in a later episode, in order to reveal amusing plot twists. These can be very clever and very funny, and the way the various stories are woven together is impressively intricate. Even though some of the ends are left loose, which is frustrating, it's still a fun challenge to keep track of everything that's going on. This may be one of the most intelligently crafted shows ever aired.

But Season 4 just doesn't have the same fast paced, bubbly, back and forth hilarity as the first three seasons did. And it spends hours studiously ignoring some of its most fabulous characters. Due to that it can only be ranked as a disappointment. A brilliant and intricately crafted disappointment to be sure, but still disappointing.
  9. Jun 5, 2013
    I guess I just don't understand it. I get told by friends all the time to check out this show, and I love shows like Community and Parks and rec. but I just can't get myself to enjoy this show.

1. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Jun 4, 2013
    Overall impression: look for them [the episodes] to get better, stronger and funnier.
  2. Reviewed by: Nick McCarthy
    May 30, 2013
    The cultural references feel a bit dated (the bubble-bursting housing-market collapse, Herman Cain proxy Herbert Love, The Blind Side, and The Social Network among them), and there's too much miscalculated racial humor and preoccupation with sex offender-related jokes, but there's still a plethora of fresh homonym-friendly wordplay, surprising parallels, and witty allusions to delight and preoccupy us until the series pulls off its next magic trick.
    I suspect it might be a classic that deserves a spot in the pantheon of great, long-delayed follow-ups, though I need to watch the whole thing again and live with it and then write about it again to be sure. That I’d want to rewatch the whole season immediately is, of course, another, possibly higher compliment.