• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 10, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.3

1. Oct 26, 2012
    Awful show. May be suitable for kids, but if you're a fan of things like Homeland, Boardwalk, Wire, Suits, Dexter etc. then stay well clear. 45 mins of my life I won't get back unfortunately.
  2. Oct 13, 2012
    "Machine guns fired at him can't hit him!" This sums up the show. So if you like your shows to make sense, avoid this. Also, cheesy dialog galore. Typical TV trash.
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    this was dire, a cheap knock off of the batman franchise. I to found the hundreds of rounds fired at the hero with none managing to nick him unbearable by the end. To say you have to suspend disbelief is a gross understatement, his disguise is essentially heavy mascara and a scowl. Its targeted at a specific audience and if your past a certain age this is not going to be for you.
  4. Oct 12, 2012
    It's the best series premiere of this fall season. Everything is right and it has a thing that reminds me of Batman Begins. I only hope they keep it that way.
  5. Dec 5, 2012
    This show is REALLY sorry. The writing is poor and the plot is truly being stretched out more than it needs too. The action is way too limited in comparison to the sappy love story and dramatic elements they are attempting to weave. I understand that they are trying to present this character in a perspective different from the comic book character, however, they are moving at a pace that is much too slow than is necessary. This story could have been over WEEKS ago! Too much time is spent on yet another rich kid who was rebellious and cared little for life or anyone else, then goes away to an island and is trying to come back and gain redemption by fighting crime. This tale has been told TOO many times and it's insulting. Give us a rest CW. Save the drama for the daytime soap operas. Expand
  6. Oct 27, 2012
    I'm sure, this show works for a specific target audience, many of them being into the comic. I, however, gave up after two episodes. Fighting with a bow against a small army with machine guns and not getting a scratch is ludicrous. Being stranded on a lost island makes a regular guy a fighting machine and a skilled archer? Please! An arrow with a memory chip sucking data through the wall onto the chip? Come ON!
    The B-Plot with Arrow's mother plotting things behind his back seems run of the mill to me. Too many plot holes and it requires too much suspension of disbelieve on my side. Thanks, but no thanks.
  7. Oct 13, 2012
    Batman dressed like Robin Hood, how original.. The story is cheesy and the character is very one dimensional.
    But maybe that's ok for the 12 year old among us.
  8. Nov 14, 2012
    Yeah, I just couldn't get into the show. I gave it 3 episodes and it just wasn't that good. The lead actor isn't that good, The characters are incredibly generic, the "villains" are terrible, and there are so many pathetic and pointless twists and turns that they just seemed added in order to add interested thus making you keep watching to see what happens. Imagine Nolen's batman films but poorly executed for television and that's what this show is. Expand
  9. Oct 11, 2012
    The pilot episodes does what's it suppose to do, draw us in to the episode. The episode itself is well done and David Nutter is directing. Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen does good in this episode and I am going to follow this series for now....
  10. Nov 16, 2012
    I have seen episodes 1 and 2, and I would not recommend this show to anyone. The casting, acting, and writing are a bit too close to "soap-opera-ish." I'm not exactly sure who the show is trying to appeal to, but I can't imagine that it is comic book fans. The violence in the show did surprise me though (in a good way), because people do actually die when they get shot, and Arrow isn't afraid to shoot the bad guys. But the bad out weighs the good unfortunately. Expand
  11. Oct 12, 2012
    WOW! Good beginning for a superhero. Arrow really proved to be a better series than I thought it would be. It has that vibe, that potential and moreover, the storyline can be really good if written and edited properly. Although there were few mistakes in the pilot and editing sucked at times but I hope the future episodes will be better and well crafted.
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    While I certainly have a bias as a strong Green Arrow fan, I can easily say that Arrow is objectively poor in quality. The writing has no real pacing, the dialogue feels insincere and random, and all characters are either constantly flip-flopping in personality for the sake of drama or have no personality at all. Stephen Amell seems unable to portray any real emotion beyond his vocal tone, and Thea seems to be unable to decide whether she wants to get closer to Ollie, or distance herself as much as possible.

This very much feels like an attempt to reap the profit of the Nolan Batman series without any of the effort. The plot is completely centered around dark, Batman-like tones, and spontaneous drama that is highly irrelevant. It's as if the creators wanted to make a Batman story, but had to use Green Arrow as the character. Overall, it's poorly written, poorly acted, and whatever brief moments of strength exist are quickly passed over.
  13. Dec 24, 2012
    Cheese cliche dialogue...cheesy chiseled chin male model actors in the lead roles - hell even the bad guys are Zoolanders. Found it very hard to sit through more than 20 minutes at a time. Yet another comic book given a poor update.
  14. Jan 7, 2013
    I don't think the plot is very captivating and the lead role (whoever that bugger is) is just unloveable! I, as the viewer, don't sympathise with him at all and I wouldn't jump through hoops for him which most main characters should make you feel. But then again, what can you expect from The CW?
  15. Oct 13, 2012
    For the comic book action drama types for the local tv this one hits the nail on the head. In terms of its production quality, acting and story line it is much better done than many other shows that is attempting to get into the sci fi, comic book, fantasy type genre. Yeah I know you could each of these into separate categories but face it were talking about this appealing to the same demographic. The guy who watched smallville and thinks revolution is cool. Is the same guy that will like this. However this is much better done. Granted with any comic book flicks there are some unbelievable things like dodging machine gun fire. But this is a action show that you and your 10 your old son could watch together without it being over the top with violence and blood. Honestly I don't see my self watching this but if this type of genre is your thing this is surly going to be a hit for you. Expand
  16. Jan 20, 2013
    For some reason it keeps bringing me back and halfway through each episode i wonder why the hell i bothered. I think it's because i'm waiting for it to get better every episode and every episode, without fail, i'm utterly disappointed. the writing is all over the place. small bits of well written dialogue are mired in chunks of horrible writing. it has potential but we're 10 episodes in, i mean come on. i wouldn't bother with it, the fourth season of justified started to weeks ago. watch that, then try and watch arrow, it's enough to make you cry Collapse
  17. Jan 22, 2013
    I was one of those who gave the show about 5 episodes to give it a chance. This show in my opinion has some poor castings, the lead actor does seems good, but the female support cast is weak. The scripts do not seem fluid enoug and when the cast is interacting with each other I am thinking to myself, "who the hell says stuff like that" The CW is trying really hard to target some audience with this show, but I have no idea who the hell it is. It is not comic fans for sure. Expand
  18. May 19, 2013
    Truthfully an amazing superhero show, that is perfect, since Smallville said farewell in 2011. The action scenes are brilliant, and the actress who plays Felicity, is my favorite. I am scared about how this will fare, when ABC airs Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. in the fall. I have faith though, and I believe this show is gonna stick around for a while.
  19. Oct 16, 2012
    Wow.. I wasn't expecting that! I know violence shouldn't be used to prop up a show but it works! People actually get shot and killed in full view. Yeah sometimes there's clever editing but Oliver Queen actually kills bad guys!? That's a first! (For TV any way). You have to suspend belief for a super hero show by the way... I see some reviewers complaining you see... If you call for reality then a lot of human supers would die in issue 1 or episode one! And the Batman comparison... The character is from from the same universe! And also.. You could always say the Batman model of the last 20 years was stolen from ninja's no? There's a lot of Michael Mann in Nolan's Batman.. He ain't that original.. Face it a lot of things are going be like Batman.. It's freakin comic book world! When you are an edgy Green Arrow what else can you do? Back to the review... The acting is Smallville standard, everybody is hot and the pacing is good. Don't expect comic book Green Arrow though.. Just like how Smallville is different to comic book Superman.
    Anyway if you liked all the other super hero TV shows then you'd like this.
  20. rah
    Nov 1, 2012
    First and foremost, this is a comic based tv show, and one I find hugely entertaining. It is not an exploitation of batman, it is a separate series that has been established for decades. It does however ask us to suspend our disbelief, but that is what all great comics do. Arrow is able to hold my attention from beginning to end and gives me something to look forward to week after week. I highly recommend watch this incredible tv show. Expand
  21. Oct 16, 2012
    As a pilot, this has been a refreshing start and I hope this series continues in the same vein. The writing was strong and the story arcs that it seems to be developing are all interesting. I look forward to more episodes at this level.
  22. Dec 10, 2012
    The acting is so very bad. How many more superhero concepts can The CW ruin? The first episode was entertaining, but it has been all downhill from there.
  23. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Arrow is a a fresh and new show with a different, and edgy theme. I think its dramatic, and action mix keeps us viewer on the edge of our seat, and restless for more. It fits in the trend of giving a twist to a story commonly told, and the plot is well sequenced. I truly think it is a show with a long and prosporous future Expand
  24. Jan 31, 2013
    This is a show with so much potential and hopefully we can get a glimpse of how good it can get by the end of first season. The acting ranges from poor to average, the actors should start getting better by the end of the season, since they have been with these characters for a while now. The action is fun most of the time, but sometimes its very unexciting. The tone goes for a darker feel, it does work, but it might be a little to over the top. The biggest problem is that there isnt one main villian and it hurts the show alot. We get brief appearances from some of the villians from the comic books, but they quickly leave the show and it gets messy at times. That will be the biggest problem for Arrow, is finding how to progress this story and its characters. Expand
  25. Feb 14, 2013
    The last episode (14) was unwatchable because of the flashbacks (ad nauseam), Too bad. Most of the show was our Arrow boy hurt or showing how he became tough. Non of this added to the story even though it is a comic...
  26. Nov 10, 2012
    This could have been a spectaclar show it has a great story which maintains a balance between comic world and reality but its flaw is its choppy and stupid editing the fight scene are i mean gr8 but seriouly bullets went through him in two episodes but he was not hit and in many other scenes finishing was very choppy u want to love this show but u cannot get beside the fact of editing yes it is true it does not ahve that deep of a story as dexter breaking bad the wire etc but its a very enjoyable well written comicbook story suitable for all ages i say i am impressed by the show especially the way they are showing him being trained on the island that is gr8 i wud say this show is gr8 gud action, gud story,welldirected,well acted i hope if there is a next season which most probably will be they get rid of there mistakes especially get a better editor Expand
  27. Oct 30, 2012
    Don't expect Arrow to be the next great thing. But if you put your mind on the right setting, it may be a pretty enjoyable show. The action sequences are very fun to watch and Stephen Arnell is a solid lead as Oliver Queen since he's likeable and believable as a badass antihero. The acting is decent, but the corny and contrived dialogue doesn't help you to take the show any seriously. Specially the unnecessary pop culture jokes, which get annoying after a while and will be dated in 3 years. Even though the plot has every single superhero story cliche you can think of, it keeps you interested to know what happens next. Arrow isn't as cheesy as Smallville, nor as dark and gritty as the Christopher Nolan Batman films, it's somewhere right in the middle, which is a nice place to be. Expand
  28. Oct 10, 2012
    I liked this show a lot, it was fun and exciting. The only thing that bugged me is how the Queen mansion looks identical to the Luthor mansion in Smallville.
  29. Oct 13, 2012
    An action-packed pilot that gives some intriguing mysteries. If this show is handled properly through out the next episodes, this might be one of CW's next big thing.
  30. Nov 16, 2012
    Think of this show as a made for TV version of Batman Begins. By that I mean the plot, characters, somewhat dark tone (music and style) are very similar to Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. The quality of each hour long episode is of course not the same as that of a 70 million dollar blockbuster but the show is very solid and surprisingly addictive. Perhaps more than anything else, what makes this show good is Stephen Amell who is very likable and a legitimately talented actor. The rest of the cast is not bad at all either.

My advice, is manage your expectations and give the pilot a watch and it will give you a good idea of what to expect, i'd be surprised if you didn't tune in for another afterwards... (watch most recent episodes free on CW website).

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Nov 12, 2012
    The CW's best show since Gossip Girl.... it has a forthright narrative seriousness, a respect for the gobbledy-gook that makes up any superhero's backstory--and a game cast performing with the correct degree of seriousness. [19 Nov 2012, p.35]
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Oct 23, 2012
    Your interest in Arrow depends on how much you miss the troubled-in-love, conflicted-by-family heroics of Smallville--it mirrors that series' setup.
  3. Reviewed by: Lori Rackl
    Oct 10, 2012
    This slick action-drama is based on the comic book superhero Green Arrow. Prepare to quiver.