Avatar: The Legend of Korra : Season 2

Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.0

1. Jan 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's safe to say that season two of 'Legend of Korra' took the strong standard set by it's first season and it's predecessor, 'The Last Airbender', and violently **** it in the face until it's tonsils bled.
    Just about everything good the series was known for was either completely absent or ruined.

Korra spent the first half of the season on her period, and was easily the most annoying character in the show, who's only true character progression was to regress into a depressed emo.
    The weakest part of the season, though, was the villian...
    Think back to previous series' villians... Firelord Ozai was a power hungry dictator who wanted to control the word... Not the most original plot ever, but it was interesting and it worked very well. Amon was a mentally scarred character who hated bending and wanted to remove it from the world, he was probably the most interesting villain ever portrayed in the series and has become one of my all time favorite characters. Both characters were also references to real life scenarios and people. Ozai was obviously referential to Hitler, and Amon was referential of Anonymous and other rebellious groups.
    Now we have Unalaq and Vatu, who wanted to destroy the world... just because. No ulterior motive. Just mindless destruction, which is something that was both new and unwelcome to the series. Thankfully both of these characters are now dead and buried.
    The only interesting part of the season was getting to see the origins of the Avatar Mythology, but at the same time it was insulting that it was linked to such a piss poor and under-developed story.

Nickelodeon only planned for one season and they should have only made one season.
    There were so many things wrong with it that I could go on all day.
  2. Sep 25, 2014
    Pretty unsatisfying, with countless questions left over and I'm getting pretty sick of characters fighting for ten seconds and then getting completely incapacitated. It happens over and over and over again.
  3. Oct 3, 2014
    I thought it was a horrible excuse for a avatar season. The ending was downright lazy and completely wack.
    I mean come on a giant blue monster fighting a giant red/black monster. Wtf man
  4. Jul 25, 2014
    Two good episodes (Wan´s story) and then 12 mediocre 20 min episodes with no plot, but with a lot of plotholes, giving us the result of a forced argument and weak character development. Does Korra has ADHD or she can´t just learn from past mistake?
  5. Jan 8, 2014
    This season of Avatar fell so far short of the bar set on the previous two series it's almost insulting.

The Aang series was amazing. There was depth and character development everywhere. Every character was memorable, had unique characteristics which set them apart from the others, and the overall struggle, while simple, was given depth by the characters themselves. They explored multiple themes which had repercussions within the wider world.

The first Season of Korra, while limited in scope, introduced a theme of equality that raised genuine questions within the Avatar world. They managed to create a primary villain who raised valid issues and yet went about bringing his ideas to reality in a way that was unacceptable and required intervention by the rest of the world, even if you agreed with his premise on equality. It was thought provoking, even if unintentionally.

Reviewing this season requires mentioning what came before because of how abysmally short of those standards it fell.

There is little explanation of the main premise of the villain. Why does he want what he wants? They give you hits without explaining anything about exactly how he turned to believing what he believed. What were his motivations? Why did he do what he did? We do not know, I don't even remember his name after watching, because he was that generic.

The entire struggle makes little sense, his goals and methods are obscure to the point that we can see that rather than being intentionally mysterious, the writers simply expected love of the series to bouy suspension of disbelief far enough to ride through the credits on the last episode.

There are two great episodes, where they return to the Avatar tradition of creating a rich world with a history which matters. They bring it back to the first Avatar, and those episodes are worth watching even without the context of the rest of the season as to why we're talking about Avatar Prime.

The rest is crap. Pure, unmitigated crap. The main character does not at any point undergo any personal growth that we can see or understand. Like at the end of Season 1 when she can suddenly airbend for no reason, when she finally connects to her spiritual side not because she has learned introspection but simply because she got depressed, she makes a thoughtless decision at the end of the second season with worldwide repercussions based on nothing more than "maybe this decision wasn't the best one that could have been made generations ago" and then the world swallows it with cheers.

In fact, in the last Episode one of the few decent characters (Ang's son Tenzen) actually goes so far as to say that he has nothing left to teach the Avatar. Uhh, at not a single point since we met her has she grown as a person in the ways you were trying to teach her to grow from the start, she has not learned a damn thing from you that you were there to teach her, and you're saying you're done teaching her?

Lazy writing. Korra acts like a stupid, uninformed teenager. If you want that to be her character, that's fine. But having the world cheer in response to that like a teenager's whims are what should decide the fate of a planet is stupid and lazy.

I have no hopes for Season 3. Season 2 was a showcase of all of the bad attributes of Season 1 with none of it's high points save 2 episodes which were expositional background, not current story development. There is nowhere good for the third season to go unless they retcon a ton of stuff and go in completely different directions. Something that season 2 proves the writers are either unwilling or unable to do.
  6. Dec 27, 2013
    This is some sub-shonen level stuff right here. Relationships are rage inducing, scripting is a total clusterfuk and ending is an insult to human intelligence. First season was somewhat ok but the second season is unforgivable. If i had not watched the first series (Aang) i would totally discard the whole idea of bending since there is not even enough attention to its differences (styles,This is some sub-shonen level stuff right here. Relationships are rage inducing, scripting is a total clusterfuk and ending is an insult to human intelligence. First season was somewhat ok but the second season is unforgivable. If i had not watched the first series (Aang) i would totally discard the whole idea of bending since there is not even enough attention to its differences (styles, strong/weak points, general lore etc.)

This is clearly made for sub teenage level kids.
  7. May 10, 2015
    Book 2 was crap. It started with lackluster writing and dialogue, not to mention a destruction of Korra's character to move the story forward. When we though we could get to the mythology of the spirit world, we see nothing more than a bunch of cute animals and two giant rugs representing good and evil. All of the conflicts jump out of the way and at the end we're left with a silly pacificBook 2 was crap. It started with lackluster writing and dialogue, not to mention a destruction of Korra's character to move the story forward. When we though we could get to the mythology of the spirit world, we see nothing more than a bunch of cute animals and two giant rugs representing good and evil. All of the conflicts jump out of the way and at the end we're left with a silly pacific rim fight scene, with little personality or emotion. The generic story was so ridiculous and forgettable I forgot about it entirely while watching books 3 and 4 just to take them seriously. Literally the only thing this book was good for was bringing back the air nation. Other than that It was entirely forgettable. Expand
  8. Mar 3, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I felt that the steam punk style and the transition to a industrialized world was an interesting spin, and make sense since Korra is suppose to take place around 100 years after Aang. Korra is not The Last Airbender, and I felt that the characters and the situations, though a bit stale at times, reflected a more mature theme. My biggest issue with this show though was this season. I thought that a season revolving around the spirit world would be really interesting after seeing what the spirit world was like when Aang had visited and talked to the face stealer, but this season completely destroyed that aspect of avatar. In contrast to the spirit world in Aang's universe where it was dark, mysterious, and omniscient, Korra's spirit world looked like a five year old drew all over it. I kid you not some of the "spirits" looked like paper cut outs of kids drawings. The suddenly bright and childish appearance of the spirit world just didn't sit right with me. Then, to top it off, the avatar story of how they got bending was shown as a giant comic relief with what felt like no serious tone what so ever. I felt like something so important should have had more weight in it. Lastly, the fact that Korra can "stop being the bridge to the spirit world" is complete bull. So if your family dies its okay because we can just take a trip to the spirit world? I'm not buying it. The fact that the avatar is the only one who can bridge the spirit world was unique and an interesting aspect. I hate the fact they ruined so much of the importance of this with this season. It was a huge let down, and I wish they could have just stuck to more conflicts that reflected the era. I guess a whole season on the spirit world just doesn't work so well once society has made so many advances and the reliance of spiritual practices becomes obsolete. Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.