Avatar: The Legend of Korra : Season 2

Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.0

1. Mar 3, 2014
    Lets get this out of the way; ATLA was a freaking flawless show. So it's justified that korra was a good show too, and season one WAS a good show, yeah, it had flashbacks to the old characters, but it was still its own show, and it was freakin good.
    That being said, I'm not getting the same vibe from season two. I didn't really rewatch as much of this as I did the other seasons and here's why: I'm gonna spoil a bit of the plot for you. Korra now has control over the avatar state and is fully realized, when a bunch of evil spirits begin to attack people. In order to save the world korra has to learn about how the spirits act and how she can stop the spirits from violating an ancient peace.

So do you see what's wrong with this plot? It doesn't have to be there. I dont care if it was "demanded" by the fans, Avatar is a story driven series and they've essentially created a filler season.

It's not entirely bad, there are a lot of cool characters introduced, like Varrick, and Vaatu. It's just that the plot is all over the place, and half the characters don't do anything. Also, the ending fight is freakin stupid. Giant spirits brawling in the bay? Are you serious? It's legend of korra, not godzilla!

Like I said, it is funny, the fights (although there aren't a ton) are well made, and the Wan backstory is really, REALLY good, like, ATLA good, but the season just doesn't hold up as soundly as the previous seasons.
  2. Dec 11, 2013
    This season basically has two really good episodes (the Wan episodes), and then a bunch of average episodes, and then a few totally cringe inducing moments spread all throughout the series. A lot of the actual dialog that the characters say is just really stupid, and not fitting with what the character is supposed to be like in terms of their supposed emotional intelligence, background,This season basically has two really good episodes (the Wan episodes), and then a bunch of average episodes, and then a few totally cringe inducing moments spread all throughout the series. A lot of the actual dialog that the characters say is just really stupid, and not fitting with what the character is supposed to be like in terms of their supposed emotional intelligence, background, etc. Korra has a lot of good setting full of dumb characters.

The season ending was a cool series of fights I guess, but pretty predictable in terms of how it unfolded, and in retrospect I think I expected more than just a fight where Korra punches a thing super hard with spirit-hulk powers and then the bad stuff goes away.
  3. Aug 29, 2015
    The Last Airbender was an extraordinary show with great writing, ingenious setting and marvellous animation.
    Legend of Korra season 1 was a good show with great writing and marvellous animation.
    Legend of Korra season 2 is a show with marvellous animation. Along the time, everything that I loved in the original series has slowly faded away. Instead of telling an epic tale the season

Legend of Korra season 2 is a show with marvellous animation.

Along the time, everything that I loved in the original series has slowly faded away. Instead of telling an epic tale the season two feels like a mix of million subplots, such as Korra's random journey to the Fire Nation and (eww...) Bolin as Nuktuk.

I watched the entire season feeling somewhat forced while doing so.
    It's watchable, but I'm not sure if it's worth watching.

The world of Avatar used to be full of spirit, emotions and a feel of destiny.
    Someone, somewhere tought that it was a good idea to add movies into the setting...
  4. Dec 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Legend of Aang was awesome. Fun worldbuilding, great characters, great humour, decent plot. Season 1 of Legend of Korra lived up to its predecessor. The characters and humour were as good as ever, but what really blew me away was the new setting and the sophistication of the plot premise with the Equalists.

Cue Season 2 of Korra. Most of my friends have liked it, and felt that it was about as good as Season 1. However, I was very disappointed by it. All the characters from Season 2 have been split up, and to keep them in the series the writers have to create some fairly clumsy and uninspiring sub-plots. The main plot is okay, but waaay too rushed. The Equalist plotline worked in 13 episodes. The Unalaq/Vaatu plotline needed a lot more than 13 episodes to do it justice -- it probably needed 26-52 episodes, really. And this compression turns Unalaq and Vaatu into comic-book villains. They have no depth, because there isn't sufficient time to create that depth.

And the ending is just awful. The daikaiju fight between Unalaq/Vaatu and the spirit of Korra is silly, and really comes out of left field. Are they really suggesting that anyone can detach their spirit from their body and rampage around a city? The writers really didn't think that through.

The season is not a complete loss. The backstory with the first Avatar is very intriguing, and I liked the change in artistic style, and would in fact have like a couple more episodes of it. But these weren't, in my opinion, enough to save it.
  5. Sep 2, 2016
    yeah... i thought it was good, but only in some parts and only few episodes. I liked that they were wiling to further the mythology with spirits, one thing that ATLAB barley touched upon. Fights had stunning animation awesome sound design and wear so fluent, beautiful look of overall art of 2 part special of first avatar Uan. However plot not only had a cliched villain, all main charactersyeah... i thought it was good, but only in some parts and only few episodes. I liked that they were wiling to further the mythology with spirits, one thing that ATLAB barley touched upon. Fights had stunning animation awesome sound design and wear so fluent, beautiful look of overall art of 2 part special of first avatar Uan. However plot not only had a cliched villain, all main characters were jerks at some point or another and the end fight, maybe epic and big scale but it has analogical finish, nobody dies and it all comes to a power rangers megasort vs Godzilla fight, which i find cheesy and dissapointing. Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.