• Network: Nickelodeon
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 14, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
8.4

1. Jun 24, 2012
    This show is so awful compared to ATLA I almost don't know where to begin. 1) Korra is a completely cliche static character-- headstrong, feminist and obnoxious. She never changes, never learns, and yet everything is handed to her throughout the show.
    2) No suspense-- the protagonists are captured dozens of times and they always escape. It's like watching a James Bond movie with idiotic
    serial villains who never achieve anything.
    3) Character inconsistencies -- Amon's character is completely altered at the end of the season for a haphazard conclusion. This is just one of many.
    4) There are a great number of plot inconsistencies to the point that it becomes very jarring. I can't go into detail without spoiling anything. 5) The love triangle that persists throughout just stalls the story and never resolves or ties in.
    The visuals and voice acting were good, however. Not much of a bonus, nut the initial setting was very interesting and had a lot of potential.
  2. Jul 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sure The Legend of Korra looks nice, but from a storytelling perspective this show does everything wrong. This spinoff has shallow characters, terrible pacing, and wretched, god-awful dialog. Most importantly, the season finale is the worst conclusion to a story I've ever witnessed, in ANY storytelling medium. If you don't know what I'm taking about, here's how the chapter ends: After losing most of her bending powers, Korra is visited by her past lives, who, in the last MINUTE of the series, restore all of her powers. They also give her the power to give everyone else their bending back. How this is possible is never explained. In fact we're never given a clear explanation of how Amon was able to remove those abilities in the first place.

It frustrates me that people are happy with this. Is this really all it takes to please a fanbase? Why should the writers even try to improve when their broken story is heralded as one of the greatest animations of all time? I don't care about what you think of the rest of the series, everyone has their own tastes. But the ending is nonsensical and cheap no matter how you look at it. It just doesn't work.

The fact that this show is getting so much praise is proof that people don't expect enough from what they watch on tv. If this is a masterpiece in storytelling then I don't want any more stories.
  3. Jun 9, 2013
    This was terrible compared to ATLA. I think Nickelodeon made another installment because they think this would be as amazing as ATLA. Think again. It was rushed, and very cliche. Nothing was really good except for the animation, that was it.
  4. Dec 6, 2013
    As others have said, if this weren't connected to Last Airbender then I probably wouldn't have bothered to stick with Korra. A lot of the Pro-Bending stuff wasn't really used that well considering the amount of screen time it took up. Amon and Tarrlok gave them a chance to deal with a lot of complex questions and maybe try to propose answers some of them, but they just kinda dropped it all on the floor and did nothing with it.

Compared to where Last Airbender Season 3 left the series as a whole, Korra s1 is a season of disappointment.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    May 22, 2012
    Visually, Korra is striking. It's full of little tricks and nuances that only true fans will notice and savor, but nothing prevents civilians from enjoying it as well. The same holds for the mythology.
  2. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    May 22, 2012
    When her Airbender training is postponed, Korra travels to Republic City, where Aang's son Tenzin lives, so he can teach her. And that's when the fun begins.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    May 22, 2012
    Mostly, the intrigue in the half-hour pilot proves a trifle head-scratching, but there's a fair amount of action and an impressive look.