• Network: Cinemax
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 11, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.5

1. Dec 11, 2014
    Banshee is the bomb! Action packed combined with deep rooted story lines that draw in viewers from start to finish. Once you start watching this show it's hard to stop. This is one of those series that is elevating the quality of television shows far above the quality of movies because they have more time to build on character & storyline depth.
  2. Oct 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ok...its a shoot 'em up series, but this is brilliantly done, it does have a story that carries over from episode to episode and into series two so that's not it after the individual episode finishes which is nice. yes there are sex scenes but not too over the top and what do you expect from an adult after the watershed time slot programme, well done to everyone concerned for commissioning a third series, long may it continue Expand
  3. Aug 20, 2014
    My 3 Favorite TV Shows of All-Time:
    (1) Game of Thrones
    (2) Breaking Bad (3) Banshee The creators of Banshee are definitely fans of Breaking Bad....since the lead Sheriff Hood (awesome actor) is a likable bad guy (like Walt)...is motivated by noble motives (the woman he loves, in Walt's case, his family), and in both shows the bad guys are relentless and brutal in their pursuits (the
    My 3 Favorite TV Shows of All-Time:
    (1) Game of Thrones
    (2) Breaking Bad
    (3) Banshee

The creators of Banshee are definitely fans of Breaking Bad....since the lead Sheriff Hood (awesome actor) is a likable bad guy (like Walt)...is motivated by noble motives (the woman he loves, in Walt's case, his family), and in both shows the bad guys are relentless and brutal in their pursuits (the cartel, Rabbit, etc.). The acting is great. The nudity is great. The action scenes are intentionally over the top...because its Cinemax....and its what guys like! The bad reviews are by guys with one step in senior home and more estrogen than testosterone. Any red blooded male will LOVE this show. Watch now. Thank me later.
  4. Feb 27, 2014
    I am SHOCKED that this show is not getting better reviews! This show is AMAZING! I am strict on shows and I watch a ton of TV. This show has a terrific cast, edge of the seat action, and a can't wait until next week kind of story. I absolutely love this show and I can't say that about many shows, other than Mad Men, Hell on Wheels and 24. Please give this show a chance if you are thinkingI am SHOCKED that this show is not getting better reviews! This show is AMAZING! I am strict on shows and I watch a ton of TV. This show has a terrific cast, edge of the seat action, and a can't wait until next week kind of story. I absolutely love this show and I can't say that about many shows, other than Mad Men, Hell on Wheels and 24. Please give this show a chance if you are thinking about it. Its very very good! Expand
  5. Feb 22, 2014
    Awesome action like you've never seen before: thumping fighting scenes, explosions galore, a spartacus like head chop-off. This show has action, sex and great story line. This is the best show on TV today. 10/10!
  6. Feb 20, 2014
    I rarely give a 10 to anything, usually there's always a few flaws that can be pointed out, but this show is clear in their intention, it doesn't try to hide is own nature, and in doing so it establishes a perfect ground for measurement.

"Passive" and "active" violence is a constant, and so is nudity, so if you don't like fist fighting, people shooting others dead, women showing their breasts, soft sex scenes, then this is definitely not a show for you. This scenes really keep me entertained, and I'm the kind of person that finds sexual intercourse scenes usually boring, but I'm quite comfortable if I think they fit into the show, which is clearly the case in my opinion.

The characters are just amazing, all of them are so alive and so filled with character, what an amazing feat, so rare this days, they all feel unique and even better than that, in a over the top show you would expect a ton of cliches everywhere, and a ton of cliche characters, Banshee has none, just amazing character development, I take my hat and bow to the show creators. The acting is in my opinion of top quality, even the less important characters provide us with quality acting. And the main villain of this story, Kyle Proctor (not sure if I'm spelling it right), Sir, your acting, the character you bring to life, you deserve an Oscar, no contest here.

So I read some concerns about this show diminishing women, I laughed at it because it does exactly the opposite, this show is filled with strong women filled with character and strong personalities, but because they have sex with men, some people think this diminishes them. Typical 100 year old mentality, women are free to have sex like men are, just because you think that women should be a symbol of puritanism doesn't mean they should be, if you want to live in your virgin fantasy dome, there's plenty of other shows.

So summing it up, I recommend this show to everyone, minus puritans and anti-violence evangelists, and of course, people that can't understand the difference between fiction and real life.
  7. Jan 27, 2014
    What a show! Sure it starts out as a bit too much fantasy from the writers, but woah, does one ever get sucked in a story as easily as here. I had forgotten the weird set up very quickly and enjoyed the brutality of the picture on screen. Love it. Nice short series which strong episodes every single time.
  8. Jan 14, 2014
    I love this show, acting second to none, writing and screenplay fantastic. The story line just keeps getting better with each episode. Lucas the x con and how he became sheriff of banshee is pretty cool. I'm looking forward to the new season
  9. Dec 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. None of the characters are believable. The town deputies would have snatched his badge the first time he did the outrageous illegal stunts he pulled, especially the one passed over for sheriff. There's no reason for them to fear him, he holds no weight, he's an outsider. And an ex-con would show more sense than his brazen ways.

Many scenes scream "filler" and the overall acting is wooden at best. Gratuitous, stereotyped writing, especially the boxed in minority, LGBT and/or female characters. You knew the outcome of episode 3 from the moment the primary figures were introduced.
  10. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It took me about 16 hours and multiple extended pauses, and 8 hours of sleep, to finally finish the first episode. It was engaging enough to make me finish the episode, but stalled often enough that I was distracted and surfed the web at times for no apparent reason. Banshee has potential, which is why I finished the first episode. There are so many bad guys in this show. The two main bad guys are Kai Proctor, town boss, meat plant owner, and Mr. Rabbit, NYC crime lord, and all their henchmen. The main character is the new brand of American hero. A bad guy with a good heart that does bad things for good reasons. The antihero. I'll watch the second episode, eventually. Expand
  11. Nov 23, 2013
    The combo of sex, violence is massively enjoyable in this Cinemax series. I my opinion "Banshee" shares a lot of things on common with the excellent "strike back", from the same channel, and that's a good thing.
  12. RPD
    Nov 2, 2013
    I just recommended this show to a couple of friends last night, and showed them the fight between Hood and Damien Sanchez. Needless to say they were both interested after seeing that. I really need to get the bluray's of season one and help support this great series, as I have done for Strike Back...
  13. Oct 30, 2013
    This show is the best show i've seen so far! the plot, the cast, everything is just awsome. Antony Starr is an epic discovery.. he is so real I can feel his torment over Ana. He is so damn cool!! the whole thing is just brilliant.
  14. Oct 10, 2013
    Banshee is a show that revolves around an Ex-Thief who screws over his powerful boss and flees. He comes across an opportunity to take the place of a small town's sheriff and does so. Angry boss catches wind of his new locale and sends an army after him. Banshee might be, the single, most violent television series I have ever seen. It is SO VIOLENT. The main character kicks so much ass,Banshee is a show that revolves around an Ex-Thief who screws over his powerful boss and flees. He comes across an opportunity to take the place of a small town's sheriff and does so. Angry boss catches wind of his new locale and sends an army after him. Banshee might be, the single, most violent television series I have ever seen. It is SO VIOLENT. The main character kicks so much ass, breaks so many bones and kills so many people that you just wouldn't believe it until you see it. It's a pretty good show. For what it lacks in plot and character development, it makes up for in action. Expand
  15. Sep 24, 2013
    Second only to "Breaking Bad". Reminds me very much of Tarantino and Frank Miller. The survival of the main charakters is always unlikely but they always stay true to their personality... Incredibly dense action from the start and it never slows down!
  16. Sep 6, 2013
    Cinemax's newest gentle tough guy show is easy to watch. The gratuitous scenes are almost laughable, but it is Cinemax. At its root, it is fun tv. Nothing wrong with that.
  17. Aug 30, 2013
    I LOVED this series. Have been watching all the must see fare from HBO and Netflix etc and this tops the lot for can't wait for next episodeness (except maybe for Game of Thrones.) Firstly, the story is excellent, it keeps its threads going brilliantly, it's never flabby or verbose, it's always right on point. The main character is a whizz at the ultra-violence and you wonder how he can beI LOVED this series. Have been watching all the must see fare from HBO and Netflix etc and this tops the lot for can't wait for next episodeness (except maybe for Game of Thrones.) Firstly, the story is excellent, it keeps its threads going brilliantly, it's never flabby or verbose, it's always right on point. The main character is a whizz at the ultra-violence and you wonder how he can be so good with his extremities until you find out with a nice bit of back story. Indeed, the frequent(ish) back story elements are part of the programmes charm, you look forward to them, rather than dreading them as annoying exposition, like in so many dramas. Lots of great fight sequences, lots of gratuitous nudity (all skinny up and down women but hey, you can't have everything) and the piece de resistance, THE BEST BADDIE BEST ACTED BADDIE I've seen in many a year, in the fantastic Ulrich Thomsen as Kai Proctor. I was mesmerised every time he was on the screen, his character is brilliantly written and brilliantly acted, and look out for one of the most intricately realised scenes depicting a man confronting his past in episode 8 when Proctor encounters his estranged Amish family. Thomsens' acting here made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. And like all series with a second run on the way, the ending is left somewhat open but is not at all frustrating, it is a fitting and exciting climax, you don't groan and wish they'd 'ended it differently' or given you more, like in so many series. Brilliant, I love Banshee. Expand
  18. Jul 31, 2013
    It's completely implausible and occasionally cheesy but I like it. Good characters, interesting twists, some snappy dialogue here and there, and, course, plenty of sex and violence. It's kinda like "Twin Peaks" meets "Amish Mafia"/"Witness"
  19. Jul 28, 2013
    Banshee is a gritty, ultra-violent, ultra-sexy, truly adult TV show that I thoroughly enjoyed watching the debut season of.

Executive produced by True Blood's Alan Ball, Banshee features a diverse and interesting cast of characters, from Russian crime lord to rebellious Amish young woman, colliding in the small town setting. Main character Lucas Hood (Antony Starr) grows into his role as the show's anti-hero with his balls to the wall hard approach to sheriff duties that shocks and impresses his colleagues in equal measures. Ulrich Thomsen steals most scenes as the sly, menacing and vile local crime lord Kai Proctor, frustrated that the new sheriff doesn't want to serve his interests as predecessors have done.

One of the Banshee's strengths is it's brutally fantastic fight scenes. Not afraid to skimp on violence, the choreography is amazing and comfortably beats most movie punch-ups. Hood's fights with a visiting cage fighter and Albino prison beast are probably some of the best fights I've seen produced.

The season's ending was disappointingly predictable but I still enjoyed the story, script and characters hugely and the trailer for season two shows that there is still plenty of drama ahead in Banshee.

Not for the reserved, but a great start for one of the toughest shows on TV.
  20. Jul 8, 2013
    Next to Game of Thrones this is the best show on TV. It's better than True Blood. It reminds me of the first season of Spartacus, Blood and Sand, but in modern times. Every episode has me wondering what will happen next. This show boldly steps over the line again and again. Hot women, fantastic fight scenes, and wicked evil bosses. I must have more!
  21. Jun 10, 2013
    i think its a good action drama TV series with superb actors...but its pace of the TV series is a bit sloppy

but on the whole BANSHEE is a gem...watch it guys...
  22. Mar 31, 2013
    I just watched all the season 1 shows this weekend with my wife during the Comcast Watchathon where they made all Cinemax series available for free. I have to say we were glued to all ten episodes and I had to pry her away for Easter dinner. Very intense they try hard to shock you and make you feel for the characters. The characters are not sympathetic. They are hard antiheroes but youI just watched all the season 1 shows this weekend with my wife during the Comcast Watchathon where they made all Cinemax series available for free. I have to say we were glued to all ten episodes and I had to pry her away for Easter dinner. Very intense they try hard to shock you and make you feel for the characters. The characters are not sympathetic. They are hard antiheroes but you do care about them and feel their pain. The moral dilemmas created are complex. You start to hate a character and then he turns around and does something to save people even though it's in his best interests. There are tons of plot twists for those who like the unexpected. The violence and sexuality are not for the faint hearted though. Can't wait for the next season! Expand
  23. Mar 31, 2013
    Very gritty program that is not held back from the usual constraints of mainstream tv, And the the main actor is a New Zealander not Australian.
    Love this show.
  24. Mar 29, 2013
    Banshee is a great show to a point, some of the characters need a lot of work for season 2, the main character is great and is acted well. If the last two episodes of the first season which were the best of the season tense and ending very interesting if it continues down that road should be good.
  25. Mar 29, 2013
    My opinion about the first season is that is the best new series after Game of Thrones. This series could also improve, with more money and more attention to details.
  26. Mar 20, 2013
    The show is a bit excessive on the violence but otherwise good fun and interesting to watch. There is some great character development in places in the show and Antony Starr is fantastic as the ex-con turned sheriff.
  27. Mar 17, 2013
    I have to give the show another review. The show got much, much better than the earlier episodes were promising. The plan in the early episodes was to every episode have outsiders bring danger into the town (and the rave episode with the kids was pathetic). However, ever since then the show has gotten much better. I have thoroughly enjoyed the main character, as well as his interactionsI have to give the show another review. The show got much, much better than the earlier episodes were promising. The plan in the early episodes was to every episode have outsiders bring danger into the town (and the rave episode with the kids was pathetic). However, ever since then the show has gotten much better. I have thoroughly enjoyed the main character, as well as his interactions with everyone else. The focus on rabbit was a great move, there are many interesting characters in the show, no need to bring outsiders in every episode, this shouldn't be law and order. If Anna's kids are out of the picture I'm very glad, what a bore no Deva please!!! I really like Kai's relationship with his niece, she is a definitely an interesting young character, looking forward to see more of that in season 2. Great season finale. Expand
  28. Mar 12, 2013
    Who believes it. A way-over-the-top TV show, cheaply done, poorly acted, that's great fun to watch! Let's not even mention the writing... So much to try and keep track of, but who cares? Interesting characters, more and more of them, rule the day. Keep up the insanity! I like this show!
  29. Mar 11, 2013
    Cinemax and HBO have another winner on there hands. Full of twists and turns Banshee manages to engage the viewer through a mix of grim spectacle and outright badassery. Every episode is layered with style that oozes with dramatic meat to keep the audience magnetized to the screen and just when you're properly engaged. Some get's their arm broken or their brains splattered across theCinemax and HBO have another winner on there hands. Full of twists and turns Banshee manages to engage the viewer through a mix of grim spectacle and outright badassery. Every episode is layered with style that oozes with dramatic meat to keep the audience magnetized to the screen and just when you're properly engaged. Some get's their arm broken or their brains splattered across the walls or streets. This all said one must remember that this is the cinemax arm of HBO, so while the acting is pretty good all around, it is by no means on the level of something like The Wire or Six Feet Under. But with certain tweaks, it could very well be. In fact it puts its sister show, Strikeback, to shame by saying, an action show can have good acting and damn good dialogue. The only other issue with the show, is when they try to do big bad chase sequences. The choreography and direction of them is great, but they don't have the budget to pull them off effectively. It becomes dissengaging when you wind up concentrating on its fakery rather than execution. Otherwise, a solid show, that will have you racing with excitment. Expand
  30. Mar 9, 2013
    banshee is excellent,keeps you on the edge of your seat,this show has humour,sex,and excellent story lines a must see,every episode gets better,there are evil amish,and the cop hood is so sexy
  31. Mar 1, 2013
    This show is easily the best shock in three years. The episode that just premiered gives the famous Game of Thrones episode, "The Battle of Black Water," a run for its money. Ulrich Thomsen portrays Kai Proctor in what is some of the best acting I have seen in recent memory. I have never seen so many amazing plot twists before and look forward to watching the rest of this season andThis show is easily the best shock in three years. The episode that just premiered gives the famous Game of Thrones episode, "The Battle of Black Water," a run for its money. Ulrich Thomsen portrays Kai Proctor in what is some of the best acting I have seen in recent memory. I have never seen so many amazing plot twists before and look forward to watching the rest of this season and season 2. I suggest anyone that likes bloody action scenes to watch every episode immediately. Expand
  32. Feb 24, 2013
    (Spoilers below) I have to say when I first heard of this show I thought it was going to be typical mindless junk, but I was pleasantly surprised. The characters are interesting and relatively complex, the action is great, plenty of laughs and almost every episode has "edge of your seat" moments. The only reason I would not give this show 9 or 10/10 is because of how ridiculous the plot(Spoilers below) I have to say when I first heard of this show I thought it was going to be typical mindless junk, but I was pleasantly surprised. The characters are interesting and relatively complex, the action is great, plenty of laughs and almost every episode has "edge of your seat" moments. The only reason I would not give this show 9 or 10/10 is because of how ridiculous the plot is. Pretty much every episode has absolutely ridiculous things happening first, the way Hood becomes Sheriff; then the ability of the dragqueen character to do whatever he wants with his laptop, including opening blast doors in a museum; Hood's asinine interpretation of laws, like punching criminals in front of other cops and letting prisoners go; Hood deciding to and succeeding in beating up a biker gang by himself, etc. If you can get over how ridiculous the story is a lot of the time you will definietely enjoy yourself. Expand
  33. Feb 20, 2013
    it's great and stunning, kind of new story bad side has a good side, angel side has a evil side, especially there's lot love making scene LOL, like real sadistic scene too
  34. Feb 14, 2013
    This is a really good not great show. The pilot hooked me right outta the gate. Ep 2 with the Rave was just OK. Ep 3 with the MMA fighter was great. For a show like this to work, you have to care about the characters and this show has that. As the season gets farther along, Hood gets less likeable, and Proctor the villian) gets more sympathetic, which is a nice twist. Hoods daughter,This is a really good not great show. The pilot hooked me right outta the gate. Ep 2 with the Rave was just OK. Ep 3 with the MMA fighter was great. For a show like this to work, you have to care about the characters and this show has that. As the season gets farther along, Hood gets less likeable, and Proctor the villian) gets more sympathetic, which is a nice twist. Hoods daughter, Sugar, Deputy Barney Fife, and the Tranny hacker are all fun characters. Proctor is pretty generic. Hood's ex-girlfriend isn't very likeable. The sex nudity is often gratuitious It's Cinemax, we get it I REALLY like this show. Expand
  35. Jan 28, 2013
    Very entertaining series may not be the most realistic both hell neither is Breaking Bad or SONS but they are great shows. Strap in for every 48 minute episode because your are going to be taken for a ride.
  36. Jan 27, 2013
    Well,I am quite impressed by this show..I watched episode 3,clearly the plot is going to unfold,..This show is quite intriguing despite its minor flaws in early episodes,..Visually its amazing.Its intended to be an adrenaline pumper with noir like style,and it is..I am going to hold onto it..
  37. Jan 26, 2013
    It's good. Just not great. But it's enjoyable to watch and if you're willing to search through the litany of television cliches, it brings a couple new ideas to the table.
  38. Jan 26, 2013
    EPISODE 3!!!!!! ................................................................................................................................................................... enough said.............................................
  39. Jan 22, 2013
    Good first episode and now just watching the second. Decent mix of story, violence and a bit of porno chucked in for good measure. Hope the series continues to be as good as the first episode.
  40. Jan 19, 2013
    I am on episode 2 and am having real trouble caring about any of these people. (Well, I care about the 14 year old girl who just got hit on by one of the adult bad guys. We are one step away from pedophilia.) Perhaps it's the wooden dialogue. Perhaps it's the lead who has mastered an American accent but doesn't walk like an American (moves more like a small time British film gangster,I am on episode 2 and am having real trouble caring about any of these people. (Well, I care about the 14 year old girl who just got hit on by one of the adult bad guys. We are one step away from pedophilia.) Perhaps it's the wooden dialogue. Perhaps it's the lead who has mastered an American accent but doesn't walk like an American (moves more like a small time British film gangster, although Australian). Perhaps it is because he is supposed to at least try to act like a sheriff but acts like a violent crook and never shaves, especially in uniform. And he seems like more of a sociopath than the bad guys. And needs a shower. Who would want to sleep with this guy (and there are a lot of women falling into sex with him..)

There is something wrong here in the sensibility at work. Something faintly perverse.
  41. Jan 17, 2013
    I saw the first episode and was really good I think this show will awsome,and people will love it,its one of the show that will set my dvr. So if someone have not watch the first episode do so you will love it.
  42. Jan 14, 2013
    Banshee has a lot of potential to be a great series. If you can look past the unrealistic premise you might find that the show has likable characters, strong acting and writing, and an interesting story to tell.
  43. Jan 14, 2013
    The dialogue is, Have you got a judge in your pocket or are you happy to see me. The main actor has only one expression throughout the entire episode a weak plastic forced smile. All the action scenes are jerky and being film from somebody on a trampoline. Watch the opening and wonder WTF why the truck fell over? I re-winded 10 times, and it was as pointless as this entire series. TheThe dialogue is, Have you got a judge in your pocket or are you happy to see me. The main actor has only one expression throughout the entire episode a weak plastic forced smile. All the action scenes are jerky and being film from somebody on a trampoline. Watch the opening and wonder WTF why the truck fell over? I re-winded 10 times, and it was as pointless as this entire series. The gunslinger in the opening is such a bad poser that in his stance it really is no wonder, why every shot he fires has missed. On the plus side there is a brief glimpse of **** but the town is Banshee a centre for the Amish community. In truth I watched 15 minutes before fast-forwarding hoping maybe this dreadful opener would improve, it really didn't at all. Maybe you might last the course honestly I doubt it very much so. Awful Expand
  44. Jan 13, 2013
    Cinemax has learned exactly how to scratch a certain itch that I have for a gritty cable series. Starting with Strike Back, then Hunted, and now Banshee - they're going for a very specific slice of the TV-watching audience, and apparently I'm squarely part of that group. Banshee brings us the small-town appeal that I appreciate, but with 4 or 5 totally preposterous plot contrivancesCinemax has learned exactly how to scratch a certain itch that I have for a gritty cable series. Starting with Strike Back, then Hunted, and now Banshee - they're going for a very specific slice of the TV-watching audience, and apparently I'm squarely part of that group. Banshee brings us the small-town appeal that I appreciate, but with 4 or 5 totally preposterous plot contrivances that just shout, "bear with us, this will get crazy along the way. Let's go" I was ambivalent about the lead actor's ability to carry the show, but by the end of the premiere, I'm fully on board. His former love is perfect casting, and the Asian tech is a nice addition to the group. "Sugar," the former boxing champ will make for a nice confidant to the new "sheriff", and the two villains - Proctor and the Rabbit - should keep things nicely nicely anarchic. So no, it's not your same old boring cop, lawyer, or hospital procedural. Kudos to Max for going for it. Expand
  45. Jan 13, 2013
    Banshee can become a great series in coming days if dealt with properly, it has the charm, it has believable characters, and above all the premise has so much potential. All it needs is great writing and its wonderful execution. As most of the reviewers say that this show is not for sissies which is totally true. The right amount of violence, direction, acting and writing can make itBanshee can become a great series in coming days if dealt with properly, it has the charm, it has believable characters, and above all the premise has so much potential. All it needs is great writing and its wonderful execution. As most of the reviewers say that this show is not for sissies which is totally true. The right amount of violence, direction, acting and writing can make it brilliant. Let's see how it works out in future. Collapse
  46. Jan 12, 2013
    i read reviews before i gave the show a look and despite all the negative feedback i still enjoyed the show and looked past the issues that others had with it. definitely worth it to watch.

While it's emphatically not a great show, it is an overheated yet intriguing one, driven more by visuals than words--and if you don't mind that its gory action and soap-opera plots aren't yet matched by dialogue and performance, it's worth a look.
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Jan 11, 2013
    It does what it sets out to do reasonably well without breaking my brain in the process.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Jan 11, 2013
    Banshee has has elements of "Justified," "Big Love," Ball's "True Blood" and, of course, the film "Witness." What it doesn't have, at least in the first two episodes, is anything new to say, about small towns, power, corruption, fear, crime or love.