Season #: 1, 2
9.1

1. Panos
    Mar 6, 2007
    Superb production, excellent storyline and sturdy direction emphasize the outstanding performances of all actors and especially the formidable Gillian Anderson. It's a shame she didn't get a single award for her work.
  2. Feb 2, 2011
    BH is my second-favorite Dickens novel, so I put off watching this miniseries for 5 years, lest it disappoint. I needn't have hesitated. No the adaptation is not completely faithful, but it captures the essentials: the range of characters (good, bad, and purely eccentric), the dynamic storytelling, the social critique (here focused on the legal AND class systems). And it does more.BH is my second-favorite Dickens novel, so I put off watching this miniseries for 5 years, lest it disappoint. I needn't have hesitated. No the adaptation is not completely faithful, but it captures the essentials: the range of characters (good, bad, and purely eccentric), the dynamic storytelling, the social critique (here focused on the legal AND class systems). And it does more. It's a fair criticism of Dickens that his characters, for all their quirky vitality, are a little one-dimensional. But great actors can enrich such characters, and this series has so many that I almost hate to single anyone out. Much has been made of Gillian Anderson, and she is indeed excellent, but, for me, the standout has to be Anna Maxwell Martin as the young orphan at the center of events. She could easily have been too good to be true; instead, she is admirably kind but also confused, wise, wry, and naive--in other words, profoundly human. But no one works in a vacuum, and it's obvious that the casting, script, and direction have all contributed to her performance, as have the other actors. The scene between Anderson and Martin on the Ghost Walk is a perfect example of two achieving more together than one could do alone. Expand
  3. robertt
    Jan 21, 2006
    I´s too dark. I didn´t like the camera work and I didn´t like to wath Gillian 'Scully' Anderson as Lady Dedlock. Tho only star that i gave to this went to Charles Dickson, the writer himself. Dont´waste your time. Go watch Deseparate Wifes. LOL
  4. Oct 16, 2013
    Breaking Bad fans SAVE YOUR ACCOLADES! Watching in Ireland (TG4). I would, though, add to the accolades: it is a dread marvel. From series 1 episode 1 I thought this 'TV' exceptional. Cranston and Paul particularly wonderful in their character creations. However, justly, vying for the highest honours as it is, I would ask fans to also look at 'Bleak House', BBC production of the CharlesBreaking Bad fans SAVE YOUR ACCOLADES! Watching in Ireland (TG4). I would, though, add to the accolades: it is a dread marvel. From series 1 episode 1 I thought this 'TV' exceptional. Cranston and Paul particularly wonderful in their character creations. However, justly, vying for the highest honours as it is, I would ask fans to also look at 'Bleak House', BBC production of the Charles Dickens novel and ask is this not, rather, truly the 'best of all time'. The Gilligan/Anderson overlap is bonus for observers of Kevin Bacon removes type considerations. Expand
  5. alisong
    Jan 20, 2006
    While visiting relatives in the UK for Christmas we were lucky enough to catch this series. Gillian Anderson gives a brilliant performance as Lady Dedlock. Film or television doesn't get any better than this series! What a treat for the U.S. audience.
  6. LynW
    Jan 20, 2006
    Marvelous.
  7. PG
    Jan 21, 2006
    This is MUST SEE television. Had the wife and I gathered round the television whenever it was. Fantastic
  8. Bob`Bobao
    Jan 23, 2006
    This is the first truly great movie, yes movie, of 2006. Funny, dark, exciting, suspenseful, and well-textured. Everything is pitch-perfect. I love it!
  9. RosemaryS
    Jan 23, 2006
    This new BBC adaptation is special and mostly due to actors as Charles Dance and Gillian Anderson and an entire cast giving top performances scene after scene. Its hard to pick one good performer as it is a total package of great scenes. It's unique presentation only adds to the emotion built by some extraordinary character acting. If this doesn't take a ton of awards, then This new BBC adaptation is special and mostly due to actors as Charles Dance and Gillian Anderson and an entire cast giving top performances scene after scene. Its hard to pick one good performer as it is a total package of great scenes. It's unique presentation only adds to the emotion built by some extraordinary character acting. If this doesn't take a ton of awards, then throw them all out--they don't matter. It is a Dickens of a Dickens! Expand
  10. BenG
    Jan 24, 2006
    You need to see this programme. It was on in England before Christmas and it got better and better every episode. It's a fantastic programme and i actually missed it when it finished. It's such a brilliant programme!
  11. AngieK
    Jan 24, 2006
    Wonderful adaptation...great acting, writing and direction. What a wonderful cast...it's great to see John Lynch ("Nemo") again. The young actors playing Esther, Ada and Richard are all quite good. And Gillian Anderson is perfect as Lady Dedlock. Looking forward to owning the dvd.
    Jan 24, 2006
    I love it! Very well done! Gillian Anderson is wonderful and gorgeous! Charles Dance is so evil and Anna Maxwell Martin is wonderful as Esther.
  13. genevieves
    Jan 24, 2006
    Superb! Excellent! Enjoyed Every minute.
  14. GiannaG
    Jan 26, 2006
    Fabulous!
  15. JanetF.
    Jan 29, 2006
    I have TIVo'D and holding on to this one. It bears watching over and over.
  16. JaneT
    Feb 2, 2006
    A fabolous period drama. I'm not into soaps, but Bleak House grips one from the first minute on. Can't wait to buy the DVD.
  17. Carolyns.
    Feb 6, 2006
    Bleak House is just amazing television. All the actors give fine performances, but Gillian Anderson and Charles Dance are superb in their roles. I'd love to see them work together again.
  18. AliciaG
    Feb 17, 2006
    I absolutely love this miniseries. It is the only televison show to ever make it into my day planner. My only request is more Guppy!!
  19. MargaretW
    Feb 18, 2006
    My husband and I began watching the series because of our admiration for the acting talents of Gillian Anderson. We were at once captivated by the entire cast and story and could not believe an hour could go by so quickly. The last time a series moved me to this extent was the "Elizabeth R" series with Glenda Jackson. Everyone, especially Lady Dedlock, does a magnificent job. Bravo!
  20. PeterK
    Feb 20, 2006
    Fantastic! Addictive! I don't want it to end!
  21. dieterf
    Feb 20, 2006
    love charles dickens
  22. JeannineE
    Feb 27, 2006
    My only disappointment was that Esther did not marry John Jarndyce.sp? I thought the actress who played Esther Norton was simply marvelous! Jarndyce was just too handsome and dear not to be the desired lover. I want to rewrite the ending.
  23. MarilynE.
    Feb 27, 2006
    Brilliantly adapted from Dickens, this PBS production of "Bleak House" may be the best Masterpiece Theatre yet.. Even though I've read "Bleak House" --a marvelous novel that everyone who liked this production really should read--the film was constantly suspenseful. Brilliantly cast and acted, some of the standouts were the actors who played Guppy, Bucket, Tulkinghorn, and, of course, Brilliantly adapted from Dickens, this PBS production of "Bleak House" may be the best Masterpiece Theatre yet.. Even though I've read "Bleak House" --a marvelous novel that everyone who liked this production really should read--the film was constantly suspenseful. Brilliantly cast and acted, some of the standouts were the actors who played Guppy, Bucket, Tulkinghorn, and, of course, the pure-of-heart and amazingly kind and selfless Esther. Most of the publicity has gone to Gillian Anderson as Ladey Dedlock, who does an excellent job of conveying the suppressed and repressed energy of a life that foundered on the class-based conventions and sexual double standards of the Victorian period (although not only of that period). I couldn't wait to see each week's episode and will no doubt want to see it again someday. Great writing (both Dickens' and the screenwriter's), directing, acting, and pacing add up to a real television masterpiece--much better, in fact, than almost any theatrical movie now in release. Collapse
  24. JeanA
    Feb 28, 2006
    One of the best productions ever on TV. The characters were amazing. I haven't looked forward to any miniseries as much as this one since Pride and Predjudice in the 90s.
  25. LarryG
    Mar 1, 2006
    We wish it would never end!
  26. DanC
    Mar 5, 2006
    Superb. If you missed it on PBS, get it on DVD. Esther is an extremely compelling heroine, and the story is top-notch. Bravo to all involved.
  27. AnonyMous
    Mar 6, 2006
    Truly wonderful, the best thing I've seen on television in years. I'm depressed that it's over! To the person who rated it a 1: the author is Charles *Dickens* -- not Dickson. I guess I can see why you didn't like it.
  28. JeanU
    Mar 7, 2006
    Nearly as good as "I, Claudius," which is the gold standard.
  29. EvanS
    Mar 12, 2006
    Bleak House is the new crack brought to you by BBC. You won't be able to set this pipe down. What an engrossing, substantial soap opera headlined by Gillian Anderson and the flat-out lovely and amazing Anna Maxwell Martin. Your heart will split wide open for Esther. What a remarkable piece of filmmaking.
  30. IlanaL
    Apr 16, 2006
    amazing! great performances by Anna Maxwell Martin and Gillian Anderson
  31. Brenda
    May 1, 2007
    Awesome show! I just wish I could have viewed it in one sitting instead of waiting for more each week. I am buying this on video! (and I only OWN one other film - LOTR-so I"m not into purchasing such things). LOVED IT!

It's hard to know where to aim the praise first.
    This "Bleak House" is sublimely bleak, as well as richly textured, superbly acted and intermittently funny. Fans of the epic adaptations that have long been the bread and butter of "Masterpiece Theatre" won't want to miss it.
  3. Dark, textured, and lively--this is how Dickens is done. [20 Jan 2006, p.66]