• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2
4.4

1. Sep 27, 2010
    Like "Hot in Cleveland", this is comfort (and junk) food - 80s style sitcom with master thespian William Shattner instead of Betty White, saying un-PC, faux insensitive, old timey shyte and getting cheap laughs. If you like hyper-kinetic cutting edge meta-comedy, watch what "The Community" did with the same idea in episode 2-01.
  2. Sep 27, 2010
    Not only was this unfunny, but it was that rare unfunny show where it is impossible to see where it ever WOULD be funny. And isn't it always the least funny shows that have the most intrusive, laugh-at-every-single-attempt-at-a-joke laughtrack?
  3. Sep 24, 2010
    I have to agree with bechance77. This sitcom actually made me laugh, and William Shatner as the disgruntled dad is just perfect. While I have to admit that the writing is still a little rough around the edges, the gags were plentiful. Just what I expected from the producers of Will & Grace. I definitely tune in again and see where this show is going.
  4. Sep 24, 2010
    This show is disturbing with its pathetic excuses for a joke. It's basically the show title, minus the "My Dad Says" part. Avoid this horrific show like your life depended on it.
  5. Sep 24, 2010
    The second I heard a laugh track, I knew this was going to be terrible. This could have been a brilliant, edy comedy if handled properly, But it was horrible.
  6. Sep 23, 2010
    Hey, it made us laugh unlike a lot of sit-comedies and that is our only criteria for a new show so we'll watch again! C'mon critics, give the Shat a fair shake here!
  7. Sep 24, 2010
    I think the "critics" were overly harsh on this show. There are some things that can improve and its obvious that its a pilot episode, but there were also a lot of things that worked. William Shatner did really well capturing the role of someone who is outspoken but also likeable. Jonathan Sadowski does a decent job of portraying the son that wants to have a relationship with him. II think the "critics" were overly harsh on this show. There are some things that can improve and its obvious that its a pilot episode, but there were also a lot of things that worked. William Shatner did really well capturing the role of someone who is outspoken but also likeable. Jonathan Sadowski does a decent job of portraying the son that wants to have a relationship with him. I will give this show a chance. Expand
  8. Sep 24, 2010
    It seems to have gotten off to a rough start, but I'm not ready to write it completely off. Especially with Shatner providing a decent amount of laughs.

Now if only they could fix the rest of the cast...
  9. Jan 28, 2011
    This is quite possibly the worst show on television right now. This show hates your family. I wonder how many good pilots were turned down for this ****
  10. Sep 24, 2010
    Most of what makes the original version of Sh*t My Dad Says compelling, and even endearing, gets lost in translation to broadcast television. The only thing that makes the television version watchable is William Shatner. This has nothing to do with the material, and everything to do with The Shat. It's not the worst thing I've ever watched, but they've turned an innovative new-mediaMost of what makes the original version of Sh*t My Dad Says compelling, and even endearing, gets lost in translation to broadcast television. The only thing that makes the television version watchable is William Shatner. This has nothing to do with the material, and everything to do with The Shat. It's not the worst thing I've ever watched, but they've turned an innovative new-media phenomenon into a decidedly old media sitcom, complete with a laugh track. (I mean, really. If you can't trust the home audience to know when to laugh, can't you at least get a live audience in the studio?) In an age where the television schedule is filled with brilliant comedies with snappy dialog, great writing, beautiful camera work, insightful character development, and themes that connect with audience members' hearts and minds, this show is glaringly void of any of these qualities. Expand
  11. Sep 25, 2010
    The biggest issue with this show is that its clear how could it could have been, instead we're treated to a mediocre sitcom that falls into the same pitfall that far too many American sitcoms fall into - Substitution of a laugh track instead of comedy in the hope that we won't notice.

It does have its moments, some of William Shatners' lines are funny, however he doesn't seem to be the right person to play the part - or maybe I've been watching far to much Boston Legal lately.

This show can be rescued from crapness as long as the lessons from the Pilot are learned - Kill the Laugh track and inject more comedy and maybe it just might make it through the season, but if the pilot is all we can expect, then this show is a cancellation waiting to happen.
  12. Sep 25, 2010
    This is a great pilot! The only two things that I don't like are the Vince character and his wife. I just feel like they don't mesh well with the overall show. The rest is just great! The show delivers simple but great humor. I don't get why most people hate it so much. I just can't see what's awful about it. But I have to admit I'm slightly bias here because I've been a huge Shatner fanThis is a great pilot! The only two things that I don't like are the Vince character and his wife. I just feel like they don't mesh well with the overall show. The rest is just great! The show delivers simple but great humor. I don't get why most people hate it so much. I just can't see what's awful about it. But I have to admit I'm slightly bias here because I've been a huge Shatner fan for the past 12 years. Expand
  13. Sep 25, 2010
    $h*! My Dad Says

$h*! My Dad Says

William Shatner plays a father who, one surmises from the title and the banter of the characters, has alienated himself from all of his loved ones due to the fact that he is a complete and utter douche bag. The series begins when his recently laid off son, played by Jonathan Sadowski, who hasn't seen his father in two years, drops by unexpectedly in order to hit him up for some money. No hilarity ensues.

Not even the talent of Shatner could hope to keep this train wreck of a comedy from derailing, and one has to wonder if his appearance on this show is the result of losing a bet made during severe alcohol intoxication. Sadowksi's character invokes no pity, or any other emotion, for that matter, and frankly, it's difficult to invest even a modicum of hope that he'll win out in the end.

One of the biggest problems here is that the father just doesn't feel that douchey: if the worst thing the writers can fathom up for him to do all episode is make his son sleep on a cot on which his old war buddy died, it is clear that writer's block has set in before the season has even begun. To add insult to injury, because they just can't seem to make the father act like a douche, the writers rely instead on making all of the other characters tell us what a douche the father is, repeatedly and ad nausea.

With the new wave of laugh-track free comedies that are becoming, thankfully, more and more common, such as Modern Family and the Middle, it feels that writers and directors are trusting the audience to appreciate comedic moments without being directly prompted to do so. $h*! is the complete opposite of this: the show is so bereft of anything resembling humour that it feels as if the sole purpose of the laugh track is a desperate attempt to inform us as to when the writers intended for us to laugh. Perhaps they felt that the laugh track would be infectious, but the only symptom of this infection is a vague sense of nausea: the unfunniness of the jokes contrasted with the raucousness of the laugh track transcends juxtaposition and vacations deeply in the land of awkwardness. I am almost embarrassed for this show.
  14. Sep 25, 2010
    I was waiting for the worst show ever-- something along the lines of Cougartown-- when I read the critics, and boy was I surprised. Was it the best pilot ever? Of course not, but man, there were some sharp jokes and they also weren't afraid to go for sentimentality. The laughs, apparently, were from an actual audience, not added in. Shows like Modern Family will always look better orI was waiting for the worst show ever-- something along the lines of Cougartown-- when I read the critics, and boy was I surprised. Was it the best pilot ever? Of course not, but man, there were some sharp jokes and they also weren't afraid to go for sentimentality. The laughs, apparently, were from an actual audience, not added in. Shows like Modern Family will always look better or "smarter" because they are shot and lit like a movie, and are put together in editing. SMDS is by far the funniest of the new crop of sitcoms, and for my money, I don't know of a multicam that comes close to being as funny. Can't wait to see where the show goes. I'm on board! Expand
  15. Sep 27, 2010
    Ok, Maybe, this is not the best comedy around. Maybe Bill Shatner is not at its Denny Crane best. Still made me laugh, I really enjoyed watching the pilot. I think this show definitely deserves a chance to grow.
  16. Sep 29, 2010
    Might be a little biased since I love twitter feed and the book, but I love this show! I can't wait to see where they take the sitcom...I do not follow very many shows on a regular basis, but I have a feeling I know where I will be at 8:30 every Thursday night.
  17. Sep 29, 2010
    Based on the first episode, the show has potential, but has some serious problems. William Shatner seemed very stiff and unprepared. During the first third of the show, he's oddly staring off into space while speaking his lines (no doubt reading the teleprompter ala SNL). He's stiff and uninspired. Not until the DMV scene do we see Shatner start to own the role and really play it.Based on the first episode, the show has potential, but has some serious problems. William Shatner seemed very stiff and unprepared. During the first third of the show, he's oddly staring off into space while speaking his lines (no doubt reading the teleprompter ala SNL). He's stiff and uninspired. Not until the DMV scene do we see Shatner start to own the role and really play it.

Shatner's co-star, Jonathan Sadowski, is equally stiff and uninspired, though he never gets any better. In fact, for a show based around the relationship between Shatner and Sadowski, they sadly appear to have zero chemistry onscreen together. The scenes I enjoyed the most ended up being the scenes where Sadowski was absent.

Many of the early jokes were wretchedly awful sitcom fare, though it did catch me more by surprise towards the end (starting with the DMV scene), and there were a few good laughs. When Shatner is comfortable with the scene, he delivers. Sadowski never does.
  18. Sep 30, 2010
    Based on the Twitter feed that inspired the series, I expected something that at least made me chuckle. No such luck, though.

"Bleep My Dad Says" is wholly unfunny. The laugh track, which suggests I'm supposed to laugh at pathetic excuses for jokes, only makes the show that much worse. CBS needs to put the series out of its misery as soon as possible.
  19. Oct 2, 2010
    This is not a funny show. The pilot had zero laughs and resorted to cheap and obvious gags. The only good actor is William Shatner but a good performance by him can't make up for the god-awful acting of the rest of the cast. The show uses a laugh track which is cheesy and makes the show completely unwatchable.
  20. Oct 22, 2010
    Other people have been overly harsh on this sitcom. While it may try to be old-schooled, William Shatner still manages to play a like-able character, as well as good acting and humor from the rest of the cast. Its not like it compares to Everybody Loves Raymond or Seinfeld, but I was impressed.
  21. Oct 11, 2010
    Andrew Golucki
    Speech
    P7 $#*! My Dad Says T.V. Review Social networking. A thing on the internet. You tell people about stuff. Lots of good stuff. Funny stuff. Although it may be funny on the computer screen, it sure as hell not funny on the tv. $#*! My dad says is a sitcom based on a twitter of feed of a kid blogging about things his dad has said. $#*! My Dad Says is on at September 23,
    Andrew Golucki
    Speech
    P7
    $#*! My Dad Says T.V. Review
    Social networking. A thing on the internet. You tell people about stuff. Lots of good stuff. Funny stuff. Although it may be funny on the computer screen, it sure as hell not funny on the tv. $#*! My dad says is a sitcom based on a twitter of feed of a kid blogging about things his dad has said. $#*! My Dad Says is on at September 23, 2010, and airs on Thursdays at 8:30 pm Eastern/7:30 pm Central on CBS. $#*! My Dad Says is the worst thing ever to land on television. Most would just turn of their T.V. after the scrutiny of the first five seconds. But if you have a thirst for bashing T.V. shows, youâ
  22. Oct 15, 2010
    I Liked Bleep my Dad says. First of all its from the creators of Will & Grace so I know as it grows it will only get better & better. The cast has had me laughing for years & I would tune in to anything they were involved in @ this point. William Shatner is very likable in this as well.
  23. Nov 5, 2010
    The show is so CHEESY! It does not translate well from Twitter. The storyline does not flow and the jokes don't go together. The acting seems forced. Henry can not pass for the son of Ed, and they really have no chemistry together. Sadowski's acting seems amateur, and Shatner looks fake and orange, despite being the only person on the show who is remotely funny. Sasso and Sullivan are notThe show is so CHEESY! It does not translate well from Twitter. The storyline does not flow and the jokes don't go together. The acting seems forced. Henry can not pass for the son of Ed, and they really have no chemistry together. Sadowski's acting seems amateur, and Shatner looks fake and orange, despite being the only person on the show who is remotely funny. Sasso and Sullivan are not funny either, which is surprising as they were hilarious on MadTV. I'm shocked that the show got picked up for another season. Clearly, it's because of its time slot. Stick that show on a Tuesday night and it would have very low ratings. The truth is, it's funny on Twitter, but basing a whole show around one or two funny comments is absurd. Bad idea from the beginning. It makes the comments incredibly unfunny, and fast. Next! Expand
  24. Jan 12, 2011
    I think the critics were a little harsh on the pilot. I think it gets better as the episodes go by, and we get attach to the characters. I love William shatner in this part and generally its funny. Anyway, the ratings will help keeping this show on air :)
  25. Jan 21, 2011
    I can't believe the criticism that this show is getting - quite the 'roast'. I really like the show and I love this old guy (Shat), for an actor at 79 years of age - Wow!
    If I were in the mood to criticize any program, I would comment on how lame 'No Ordinary Family' is....Arghh!
  26. Feb 7, 2011
    Although I must have laughed about twice while watching the four episodes I have seen it is something I can sit and watch when nothing else is on. Although the actual show isn't very good.
  27. Feb 24, 2011
    I love this show. Please don't cancel it, CBS. I love this show. Please don't cancel it, CBS. I love this show. Please don't cancel it, CBS. I love this show. Please don't cancel it, CBS. I love this show. Please don't cancel it, CBS. I love this show. Please don't cancel it, CBS.
  28. Sep 29, 2011
    I remember BLEEP MY DAD SAYS being funny. But I also remember the obviousness as to why exactly it was ended. It wasn't good, and William Shatner made a fool of himself.
  29. Sep 8, 2011
    The Twitter account this is based on is stupidly unfunny, and clearly a load of recycled lines from various cynical comedy characters over the years. And the resulting sitcom, with William Shatner nontheless, is probably better. But, still, very very bad.

1. $#*! My Dad Says feels hopelessly old school. It relies on a stock sitcom character--the crabby dad--that we've seen over and over. It mainly anchors itself to a claustrophobic sitcom-y living room, and it relies too heavily on a tired, rat-a-tat setup/punchline delivery.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    William Shatner makes the pilot barely watchable, but only because the fleeting moments of heart overshadow the mostly limp one-liners. In a business obsessed with younger demos, the septuagenarian Shatner is an unlikely sitcom star, but he provides the lone spark in this otherwise-formulaic comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Kris King
    $#*! My Dad Says is a dismal show, harboring the worst qualities of every lame, four-camera, laugh-tracked sitcom on television. The jokes are painful, the acting is hammy, the characters are flat, and it simply isn't funny. Ever.