• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.4

1. Nov 25, 2012
    Season 1= A wonderful, engaging plot. Character development that keeps you interested in whats going to happen to each of them. And pacing that keeps the story moving forward at just the right speed. Season 2= Less in every category. The plot doesn't seem to know where it wants to go. The characters seem to be becoming ever-less interesting as each episode arrives. And the story just doesn't move forward with nearly enough 'umph'. Things happen, but slowly, and really not very interesting things at that. The main characters are becoming less and less relate-able and continuously more annoying. The premise of prohibition-era alcohol-bootleggers battling it out for turf in a budding Atlantic City is awesome, but somehow the writers of the show are managing to snuff out the huge possibilities that could exist here, and that I thought would exist after I had watched a really well-done season 1. Expand
  2. Oct 21, 2011
    I can't believe this got a second series. I gave up on the first series after about 6 or 7 episodes. It was so boring, the story just wasn't going anyway, I didn't care about any of the characters. It was well acted, and shot, just the storey line wasn't gripping enough.

1. Reviewed by: Marisa Carroll
    Oct 4, 2011
    The Oedipal quagmire only enhances the political treachery.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Oct 4, 2011
    It's essential viewing. All of the promise of last season looks to be realized with impressively deft storytelling, beautiful cinematography and impeccable acting.
  3. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Oct 4, 2011
    Boardwalk Empire is doing what I wish Prohibition had done--it's tempting me to stick around for one more.