BoJack Horseman : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Aug 22, 2014
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.6

1. Sep 19, 2017
    Having watched outstanding and amazingly addictive animated shows such as “Rick and Morty” or “Archer” who not only surpass most of the modern live action tv series but also, set a standard for series to come, I was very sceptical about Bojack Horseman. Having seen 2 episodes, all I thought was that: I just threw away an hour of my life. Everyone told me to continue watching and thatHaving watched outstanding and amazingly addictive animated shows such as “Rick and Morty” or “Archer” who not only surpass most of the modern live action tv series but also, set a standard for series to come, I was very sceptical about Bojack Horseman. Having seen 2 episodes, all I thought was that: I just threw away an hour of my life. Everyone told me to continue watching and that season 1 is just a set up. I do not support this kind of shows because whenever I’m watching a show I'm investing time in it and sometimes no matter how good the tv series gets later I feel deeply unsatisfied with my spent time. This is not the case with this season…

Bojack Horseman season 1 explores the daily life of Bojack Horseman, who is also a horse, and some of his so called “friends”. Bojack is an actor who was the main star of “horsing around" a popular sitcom show in the 90s. Now, he is out of a job, nobody wants to hire him and life is quite bad in general. The main story of this season is Bojack trying to get his career back on track by writing a book about himself or at least trying to do so.

Bojack is not a typical protagonist of a comedy show however, this Netflix original is not really a comedy as well. I would consider it more of a drama. Despite Bojack’s fame his flaws make him as relatable as it is possible for a horse living in “Hollywoo”. Will Arnett creates a multilayered charter that not only keeps your attention but also stays in your head for long after you finished watching an episode. Bojack is cool but, Todd was always the stand out for me personally. I will forever remember Aaron Paul screaming “Yay responsibility” or the image of Todd’s hat while he is wearing a tux. The rest of the cast is amazing in their roles and have completely dissolved in their characters. Despite the fact that they live in the world inhabited not only by humans but human-like animals (the issue of eating meat (in fact chicken) is addressed) they all seem strangely real and “human”.

As I have already said this show is not really a comedy. I can't say that I didn't’ burst out laughing every 10 mins of the show (roughly twice per episode) but the fact that it also made me almost depressed at times, had a greater impact. It is true that it is a dark satire of life in Hollywood and that it raises some of interesting themes in that part of show but if you dig into it you will find much more. Ultimately its an exploration of depression and meaningless of life. It is mentioned too often in the show to not realise that the theme is present there. Depression however, is harder to pin point. Well that is until episode 8. Episode 8 hits you hard. It does not gently ease you into understanding of Bojack’s life but instead, it punches you in the face with it. On top of that it was roughly the time when I started to understand the meaning of the opening credits…

The opening credits deserve a separate review. Yes they are that good. We see Bojack following his monotonous struggle though the day with ending the cycle by falling into a pool which is a metaphor for him giving in to the depression that he has. Fantastic fixed camera shows us his face and almost makes us fell as if we are Bojack ourselves.

Despite the fact that this show is very thought provoking and very dark, I still find that I am able to enjoy it as much as other comedies before it. During my time with “Scrubs” or “Community” I always felt at ease with the characters on the screen no matter what the plot was. I am glad to say that I have found another show that has characters that I am so attached to and more importantly can relate to. In the end its still a show about a horse living in Hollywood even though its probably the smartest show right now.
  2. Sep 10, 2017
    bojack can show the best and the worst of people's personality and express how they feel with purpose and feelings that will never be showing at a "normal" show.
  3. Jul 26, 2017
    Bojack Horseman is a special kind of show. It has characters that feel real, but their animals. It calls itself a comedy, but it has some of the most depressing scenes in TV history, not to mention some of the most jaw-dropping scenes that you actually have to stop watching after you see them just to think. The first season is meh. The second season is good. The third season is completeBojack Horseman is a special kind of show. It has characters that feel real, but their animals. It calls itself a comedy, but it has some of the most depressing scenes in TV history, not to mention some of the most jaw-dropping scenes that you actually have to stop watching after you see them just to think. The first season is meh. The second season is good. The third season is complete gold. The occasional jokes can make you laugh as the show, depressing as it is, can actually be quite funny. The story is amazing. I have no other words to describe it. It's dramatic, depressing, and funny all at the same time. It's up their with breaking bad. Overall, The cast is amazing, the voice acting is amazing, the story is amazing, and the soundtrack is great, providing you can make it through the first season. If you don't watch this show in your life, you haven't lived a complete life. Expand
  4. Jun 25, 2017
    Bojack Horseman is an animated adult comedy published by netflix.
    It's very hard making a review of this show because there is so much to talk about, I can say without a doubt that Bojack Horseman my favorite show of all time but I will admit that the first season had a few flaws...
    Bojack Horseman is an animated adult comedy published by netflix.

At first, I didn't enjoy watching the show, I didn't thought it was funny, I thought it relied to much in cutaway gags and just felt like a better-written version of family guy, the first 5 or 6 episodes were really mediocre...
    But as the story progresses I noticed that they relied less on telling jokes and tried to give a more deep narrative and gave more depth in the characters which got me intrigued and I was in tears at the end of season 1.

It's the kind of show that makes you question your life and your choices, it shows how much one choice can completely change you as a person and you might be never the same person again, it asks very uncomfortable questions and this show has the capacity of changing someone's perspective in life (in a good way).

The characters are all likable, interesting and sympathetic but Bojack is what makes this show so unique and special, he starts off as unlikable, egotistical, selfish and it was hard to relate to him, but these last two episodes made him ratable, it shows how much making bad decisions can change you and it was really sad watching episode 11, it shows how much Bojack regrets everything he has done and wishes to go back but it's too late for him, he can't undo what he has done and must face the consequences of his actions.

Season 1 was a hit and miss, it gave me at first a mediocre comedy with animal puns but became a show with something to say, it's the most deep and aggressive look on depression and this show keeps getting better and better, I highly recommend it.
  5. Jun 4, 2017
    This series took a few episodes to warm up, but once it did it was a gem. It's a rich, layered comedy, with superb writing, and jokes that appeal to teens and adults alike. I'm still amazed at how consistently great this show is, and have seen each season more than once.

Don't get hung up on the unique combination of animals and humans, this is part of the ruse, and part of the comedy. You'll find simple and dark laughs in the setup, as well as through the entire series. This stuff is comedy gold.
  6. May 4, 2017
    The best Netflix Original series. It's not an easy one, and many people will not understand it; but it can (must!) be read on multiple levels, and the deeper ones are insanely (it's the perfect word) great. You didn't like it? Dig into it.
  7. Jan 4, 2017
    Qu'est-ce que c'est bidon ! mais pourquoi est-ce autant bidon ? parce que ça sonne creux, banane ! et pourquoi ça sonne creux mon neveu ? parce que c'est vide ! est-ce que c'est drôle au moins, même un peu, rien qu'un petit peu ? bah nan comment veux-tu que ce soit drôle, bordel à cul, puisque c'est vide !

Franchement, ce canasson parlant qui raconte que des conneries et radote comme un vieux con, direction la boucherie pour sa reconversion en lasagnes !
  8. Nov 26, 2016
    This is definitely one of my person favorite shows. The whole animals and humans thing is a bit weird and I would argue it doesn't add a great deal to the show. The humor is good and a far beyond the standard Clichés one has come to expect from from a lot of modern comedy shows. Not only that the show can be quite deep at times arguably a bit depressing and the characters are very well developed.
  9. Aug 4, 2016
    I found the first season of Horseman to be criminally underrated. This is a dark, raunchy, hilarious, and smart cartoon with ideas...BIG ones...and these ideas really may surprise you. You're initially watching the show expecting a Family Guy-esque cartoon of sorts, and although you do get some crude laughs out of BoJack Horseman, by the end of the first season you walk away having gottenI found the first season of Horseman to be criminally underrated. This is a dark, raunchy, hilarious, and smart cartoon with ideas...BIG ones...and these ideas really may surprise you. You're initially watching the show expecting a Family Guy-esque cartoon of sorts, and although you do get some crude laughs out of BoJack Horseman, by the end of the first season you walk away having gotten a completely different cartoon than you expected...a funny, yet smart, emotional, and important one. Expand
  10. Aug 4, 2016
    It feels like an stretched out Rick and Morty minus the science. There are great moments but they are not as frequent as one would like. All the characters feel relatable and human in someway and that's a plus but at the end I have to force my self to keep watching till that joke or dark reflexive moment.
  11. Jul 31, 2016
    As thought-provoking as an animated series starring an alcoholic movie star horse can possibly be. It very much is a fitting caricature of decadence and general stupidity while still being genuinely witty and heartfelt. BoJack's character is at times needlessly complex, but Todd, Mr. Peanutbutter, and Princess Caroline are very much welcome comic foils.
  12. Jul 28, 2016
    Bojack Horseman is a comedy for those that want something deeper, something that you want to turn your brain off to but it keeps shaking you and telling you to look at it. Like that kid all hyped up on Mt. Dew in a 6th grade slumber party. There were a lot of chuckles and some pretty good laughs, especially in the pun department. But once the show gets serious and shows you what it wantsBojack Horseman is a comedy for those that want something deeper, something that you want to turn your brain off to but it keeps shaking you and telling you to look at it. Like that kid all hyped up on Mt. Dew in a 6th grade slumber party. There were a lot of chuckles and some pretty good laughs, especially in the pun department. But once the show gets serious and shows you what it wants you to see, that's when it really sets itself apart from everything else. If you liked other shows like Breaking Bad, Orange is the New Black and Louie then you'll enjoy this one. If you're expecting something along the lines of American Dad, The Simpsons or Archer then you'll be disappointed. Expand
  13. Mar 9, 2016
    This netflix series impressed me very much. Unlike Family Guy or The Simpsons, which rely on gags and slapstick, BoJack Horseman is a comedy that has actual depth. BoJack is a celebrity train wreck who starred in a 90's sitcom. He is depressed that his life isn't as good as it was back during the peak years. This is very relatable, which leads to an attachment to his character. It isn'tThis netflix series impressed me very much. Unlike Family Guy or The Simpsons, which rely on gags and slapstick, BoJack Horseman is a comedy that has actual depth. BoJack is a celebrity train wreck who starred in a 90's sitcom. He is depressed that his life isn't as good as it was back during the peak years. This is very relatable, which leads to an attachment to his character. It isn't perfect, it can sometimes feel stupid like Family Guy but it's still better than those shows. 7.6/10 Expand
  14. Feb 20, 2016
    A odd sort of show. For the life of me I don't get why the lead character is a horse and a depressed over the hill horse at that. Unless it's aimed at the perma stoned crowd who'll find it super hilarious and meaningful. A little above average.
  15. Jan 21, 2016
    "Bojack Horseman is totally at the level of Family Guy, but in a different way. It' takes it more serious and the jokes are good as well..."

+ (positive): - Bojack himself, - satirical humor, - 2 different acts, - act 1: the funny prologue, - act 2: a more serious seond half, - great story about the fall of Bojack - (negative): - tooooooo many animals - not so satiric like

+ (positive):
    - Bojack himself,
    - satirical humor,
    - 2 different acts,
    - act 1: the funny prologue,
    - act 2: a more serious seond half,
    - great story about the fall of Bojack

- (negative):
    - tooooooo many animals
    - not so satiric like south park

GENRE RATING: 8.9
    OVERALL RATING: 7.7
  16. Jan 17, 2016
    BoJack Horseman is a funny show! I have to say that the show surprised me! Excellent joke and a very good illustration of characters. What more can I say?
  17. Dec 22, 2015
    The first episode was a bit slow and I wasn't sure I was going to like this show. I decided to continue watching and I'm glad I did. The show is clever and laugh out loud funny at times. Some of the obscure 80s and 90s references are a huge bonus. The tension and the humor along with ridiculously funny plots is entertaining and keeps me coming back and hitting the play button on the next episode.
  18. Dec 21, 2015
    I don't understand why the note be 59, this is an humorous and fun masterpiece. Dramatic in the right time, it's a kick to something bigger that is about to come.
  19. Dec 14, 2015
    [created at the end of season 2]

This series did in 2 seasons what up to this point was nearly impossible by an animated show to achieve due to the fact their writers were mostly either too childish and/or too simple minded to do so. it actually manages it to combine silly nonsense surroundings which are undoubtedly funny as heck with some of the deepest and memorable stuff I've seen
    [created at the end of season 2]

it actually manages it to combine silly nonsense surroundings which are undoubtedly funny as heck with some of the deepest and memorable stuff I've seen in such a show yet

This show will make you laugh, cry and will actually teach you how a character is created and changed in a tragically hilarious world all happening in the unique unmasking surroundings of a very lovingly designed anthropomorphic universe.

never thought I would actually yell life advice at a cartoon horse to be honest (until some episode towards the end of season 2)

until now I consider it to be one of the top animated shows out there. so if you like some deepness in your casual shows i think you'll really enjoy it
  20. Nov 7, 2015
    If you have seen any dumb animated comedy series that only lasted 1 season then you have seen BoJack Horseman. Despite its stellar cast of comic actors, its just the same dumb jokes you have heard in every other adult animated comedy.
  21. Oct 27, 2015
    The best scene in every episode of Bojack comes at the same time, about a minute in, when the intro plays. It’s very beautiful and compelling. It embodies the spirit of a show that is funny accidentally and only by the extent of the darkness and absurdity it is willing to portray in unadorned deadpan. Bojack Horseman is composed of maybe 1/3rd that show, which for Netflix Binge-Watching™The best scene in every episode of Bojack comes at the same time, about a minute in, when the intro plays. It’s very beautiful and compelling. It embodies the spirit of a show that is funny accidentally and only by the extent of the darkness and absurdity it is willing to portray in unadorned deadpan. Bojack Horseman is composed of maybe 1/3rd that show, which for Netflix Binge-Watching™ is an acceptable level. If it lived up to the intro, its concept, and its better moments all of the time, then it would be comparable to Louie, but far more commendable given the medium and our subsequent expectations. As it stands, it is more disappointing than not.

Like recent seasons of Louie, most of what can be thought of as funny comes in background humor. A lot of people are complimenting Bojack for this reason, and it’s warranted. It rewards keen observation of the details, but if you turn that gaze on the main characters it’s like looking at the sun. Animated shows have a curse that always seems to end in them becoming cartoons, with the exception of King of the Hill. However, about halfway into the show there’s a notable turnaround and all the antics drop away, suddenly the characters are real enough to care about and the story becomes interesting. A washed up starlet, a dying producer, an underdeveloped memoirist, and an aging agent all carry the show to its finish while the title character continues to sow narcissistic chaos into their lives. He and the show are redeemed by their arcs.
  22. Oct 12, 2015
    The only real strength of Bojack Horseman is impeccable casting. Aside from that, it's a highly overrated show. I just can't believe how much people fail to realize that this is nothing more than a circlejerk of Hollywood snubbery at its worst. The whole show relies on (inaccurate) criticisms of sitcoms and our culture in general. Please, any show that thinks MSNBC is right-leaning oughtThe only real strength of Bojack Horseman is impeccable casting. Aside from that, it's a highly overrated show. I just can't believe how much people fail to realize that this is nothing more than a circlejerk of Hollywood snubbery at its worst. The whole show relies on (inaccurate) criticisms of sitcoms and our culture in general. Please, any show that thinks MSNBC is right-leaning ought to have its writing staff euthanized. Furthermore, it fails to be anything beyond simply depressing. The character arc of Bojack is really just a ripoff of the later seasons of House, M.D. I only kept watching for Todd's side adventures. They make the rest of this drivel somehow not completely unbearable. Expand
  23. Oct 1, 2015
    After the first episode of Bojack Horseman, I told myself ''aww, this is okay... I guess...''. Then I watched the second and third episode and I almost peed myself. This show is on of the smartest serie I've watched in a while.

During both season, a strong feeling of depression AND happiness fills up your heart. The jokes are freaking funny, brilliant but often end up in very sad situations in order make you feel guilty.

All characters have so much personality and what's amazing is that everyone will have a different opinion about each of them. Bojack is a drunk cynical dude, Princess Carolyn is a cute kitty with a lot of anger and self-confidence issues, Todd is a silly, gentle but smart guy who would do anything for his friends... Pick your favorite.

The voice acting is well done. The art is honestly stunning and different from other cartoons out there. What's also great is that Bojack Horseman, unlike the majority of cartoon shows, has a main story that we follow during every episode. You get hooked to the characters and their struggles as the story evolves.

You will not get hyped by the Pilot, I tell you right away, but I strongly hope you will still go on, cause it's worth it. Bojack is one of the best TV discoveries I've made in 2015.
  24. Sep 12, 2015
    Really fresh for an animated series. Not so much because of the humor, which could be compared to Family Guy, but because there's an arc story through the season, it's well written, and above all, it mixes comedy with some deep thoughts about depression.
    Don't misunderstand, it's a comedy before being a drama, but you get more attached on the characters that you normally do on animated series, because they're having some "real life" problems and there are some moments when it's not all just about the joke. But don't let this aspect stop you from watching it, it's definitely funny and definitely not depressing.
  25. Sep 6, 2015
    The first season gives us a mix of content we haven't seen since Seinfeld, or maybe even some point in the 1970's. First and foremost, the humor is old, yet relatable and brilliant. For some reason, jokes about animals were more common in my father's day. This show crushes each and every animal joke you can think of, and that's what keeps you thinking that this is supposed to be a comedy.The first season gives us a mix of content we haven't seen since Seinfeld, or maybe even some point in the 1970's. First and foremost, the humor is old, yet relatable and brilliant. For some reason, jokes about animals were more common in my father's day. This show crushes each and every animal joke you can think of, and that's what keeps you thinking that this is supposed to be a comedy.

What makes it special is that it's a comedy pretending to be a drama. Every viewer will be able to see some aspect of their own lives in the dark outline of BoJack's tortured soul, and as you dig deeper into the season, you'll start to see why it's such a special comedy, but not a drama. The comedian is the one who brings joy to your lives, but not necessarily because he has it in his own, bringing to mind the old story about Pagliacci. "Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, 'Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up.' Man bursts into tears. Says, 'But doctor...I am Pagliacci.'"

Essentially, you'll have to see it to appreciate it. You'll have to have suffered in life to appreciate it, and you'll have to see the ridiculous side of dark moments, but this isn't CatDog. The greatest works of art are ambitious enough to try what they have to try. In the field of animation, BoJack Horseman is good enough to be called that.
  26. Sep 3, 2015
    This show is ridiculously well done for An Adult Animated series not to mention so,so funny.For myself it is somewhat of A culmination of animated series from the past like Duckman for example and improves on the premise by having one of the best sets of Actors and Writers in Television.The voices and what comes out of them are really done superbly.The origins of BoJack are instantlyThis show is ridiculously well done for An Adult Animated series not to mention so,so funny.For myself it is somewhat of A culmination of animated series from the past like Duckman for example and improves on the premise by having one of the best sets of Actors and Writers in Television.The voices and what comes out of them are really done superbly.The origins of BoJack are instantly recognizable as those who grew up from the 1980's and early 90's.If you are A fan of comedy and especially anything from Adult Swim you owe it to yourself to give this show A chance and I seriously doubt you will not like it.I mean,what's not to like anyway.A great show is A great show! Expand
  27. Aug 6, 2015
    Bojack Horseman is brilliant. It is not-stop filled with zingers and is a spot on satirical analysis of the shallow mercenary Hollywood showbiz lifestyle. I can't get enough of this show!
  28. Aug 4, 2015
    This show is good. It has a smart, frustrated take on modern show business and tabloid slop. You can tell whoever writes this has a lot they want to say and get off their chest. Oh yeah, its pretty funny too.
  29. Jul 27, 2015
    3/5★ Unforgiving and a little tired with intermittent moments of scathing wit. Are we reaching the zenith of pop culture referencing, life satirizing adult oriented cartoons?
    Verdict: An acquired taste.
  30. Jul 26, 2015
    BoJack Horseman is essentially like alcohol. At first it tastes bitter, bland and **** but after a few good swings, a little mixing and mashing, it becomes an absolute blast. The liquor takes you on a magical mystical journey (with its highs and lows), it makes you sad, it makes you happy and it makes you think and regret after the decision to drink to much. But never the less you enjoyBoJack Horseman is essentially like alcohol. At first it tastes bitter, bland and **** but after a few good swings, a little mixing and mashing, it becomes an absolute blast. The liquor takes you on a magical mystical journey (with its highs and lows), it makes you sad, it makes you happy and it makes you think and regret after the decision to drink to much. But never the less you enjoy the ride. BoJack Houseman is an incredible tv series, with a lot of heart and soul. Yet its starts off pretty rough, like a good episode of Family Guy, it just doesn't manage to hit the right notes, until round about the 4th episode where the plot starts to develop, and things start to really sink in and get very heavy. Expand
  31. Jul 23, 2015
    The second season seems better than the first. This is a fun character because he acts like such a idiot at times, but then out of no where he says something that is rather profound or makes an astute observation. A lot of the humor seems to derive from these observations too so you have to follow it to get the jokes.
  32. Jul 21, 2015
    All the right pieces are in place for killer cartoon comedy. Will Arnett brings the right tone to the show's main character, and his supporting cast are all talented and bring a little magic BoJack Horseman. It's both silly and simple but can outwit even Family Guy. BoJack isn't perfect, as some episodes slow the pace a bit too much, but it's good nonetheless. It's no wonder NetflixAll the right pieces are in place for killer cartoon comedy. Will Arnett brings the right tone to the show's main character, and his supporting cast are all talented and bring a little magic BoJack Horseman. It's both silly and simple but can outwit even Family Guy. BoJack isn't perfect, as some episodes slow the pace a bit too much, but it's good nonetheless. It's no wonder Netflix decided to re-up for another season. Expand
  33. Jul 15, 2015
    This is a sadly under-rated show that takes offbeat animation into new territory. One of the things I loved about the series was that it was a series - the story unfolds really nicely and the characters are multi-faceted and interesting. I really hope that Netflix persist with this, as it's one of the best pieces of television that has come out over the past year and there is a strongThis is a sadly under-rated show that takes offbeat animation into new territory. One of the things I loved about the series was that it was a series - the story unfolds really nicely and the characters are multi-faceted and interesting. I really hope that Netflix persist with this, as it's one of the best pieces of television that has come out over the past year and there is a strong feeling that there is plenty of room to develop it even further. Great stuff. Expand
  34. Jul 10, 2015
    This show is AMAZING! By far the best show of 2014. The interesting plot and the depth of characters combined with the witty and observational humor that will have you re-watching,rewinding and pausing episodes makes this show not only enjoyable but special. The show has all the elements of drama (which is surprising to many considering its cartoon-ish nature) and the fun invigoratingThis show is AMAZING! By far the best show of 2014. The interesting plot and the depth of characters combined with the witty and observational humor that will have you re-watching,rewinding and pausing episodes makes this show not only enjoyable but special. The show has all the elements of drama (which is surprising to many considering its cartoon-ish nature) and the fun invigorating style of a comedy that really makes this show great. Expand
  35. Jun 18, 2015
    I wasn't expecting much from Bojack Horseman. It looked like it was just Netflix trying to create their own long running adult cartoon series like the Simpsons or Family Guy. Bojack Horseman is original and does not appear to be stealing anything from other animated shows. I love the animation, it looks perfect. This show was a serial so you had to watch every episode in order which isn'tI wasn't expecting much from Bojack Horseman. It looked like it was just Netflix trying to create their own long running adult cartoon series like the Simpsons or Family Guy. Bojack Horseman is original and does not appear to be stealing anything from other animated shows. I love the animation, it looks perfect. This show was a serial so you had to watch every episode in order which isn't common for an animated series and the show is far more heartfelt than I expected. There are a lot of hilarious animal related puns but Bojack is a great character and you really want to see him get his redemption. I will be excited for season 2 in July. Expand
  36. Jun 6, 2015
    I feel like most of the big critics didn't even watch through the entire season, because if they had, I am positive there would be a lot more positive reviews. This show looks like another ridiculous alternative animated comedy series. In the first few episodes it feels like that as well, these episodes were getting the writer's feet wet and developing some pretty complex characters. WhichI feel like most of the big critics didn't even watch through the entire season, because if they had, I am positive there would be a lot more positive reviews. This show looks like another ridiculous alternative animated comedy series. In the first few episodes it feels like that as well, these episodes were getting the writer's feet wet and developing some pretty complex characters. Which the show actually pokes fun at, the self-aware self-deprecating satire in the show is abundant. It isn't a show that produces "gut-busters" and it shouldn't be. It isn't some ridiculous alternative animated comedy series, it is a well written show with strong characters and a real story, although the entire setting is a fantasy LA with talking animals, it is surprisingly real.

The realness of the show is so painfully ironic, because it isn't. The show demonstrates how the media focus's on nothing worth any importance, a world where a horse taking a muffin from a literal navy seal is breaking news. The news I see in America shows less important news. Where Raccoon people are always digging through the trash, and the paparazzi is literally flocking around and chirping at celebrities buying melons. This is a world where there is no deep down underlying purpose, where everything happens to move the content forward to the next scene. That is how real life is, there is now deep down real person who you are, it is just the things you do that represent you. I believe the things the show does, really represents a good, funny, clever, satirical and smart show.
  37. May 13, 2015
    Like most people, I started and hated this show. When I finished, I was completely in love with the personalities and storyline. It made me laugh a ton when I rewatched it, knowing more about the characters. Up there with "Freaks and Geeks" and "True Detective" for my favorite debut seasons. I quote it all the time.

Really special show, and I hope people give it the chance it

Really special show, and I hope people give it the chance it deserves. Cannot wait for season 2.
  38. Apr 7, 2015
    Came to the series late, but was very pleasantly surprised by the quick humor and poignant final episodes. The drug-induced episode 11 (Downer Ending) was epic!
  39. Feb 19, 2015
    After completing a five-season binge of what is undoubtedly my favourite cartoon since The Boondocks, Archer, I wasn’t quite ready to get back to some need-to-focus-to-get-it drama series I was two-thirds of the way through before. Enter BoJack Horseman.

BoJack’s a presumably-middle-aged, washed up celebrity who found success in his 1990’s sitcom, Horsin’ Around. We meet BoJack some years later, alcohol-dependent and out of work, living with his freeloading roommate Todd Chavez. BoJack’s plan is to reattain public attention with the release of his tell-all autobiography, assisted by his ghostwriter Diane Nguyen. However, BoJack also has the stresses caused by his agent and on-off girlfriend Princess Carolyn, as well as his frenemy Mr. Peanutbutter – a dog who had the leading role in a sitcom similar to Bojack’s – to deal with.

Now, I’m a fan of Netflix originals. I admire in particular the way House Of Cards manages to engage despite a potentially overwhelming amount of political vocabulary, credited mainly to Kevin Spacey’s stellar performance as the charismatic-yet-duplicitous Frank Underwood. Once the final episode of Archer Vice had finished, BoJack Horseman was the first suggested watch to pop up on my screen. After blitzing my way through FX’s flagship animated series, I’d say there was a lot to live up to.

It’s clear from the outset that BoJack nests more in subtlety than riotous humour. I found myself with more of an impressed grin on my face for the majority of the show, rather than regular outbursts of laughter. It’s definitely clever, the anthropomorphised animal characters constantly providing visual puns and gags, such as BoJack’s early-season adversary ‘Neal McBeal the Navy SEAL’. I laughed out loud at both the cow who disapprovingly served a steak to a human customer in a local diner, as well as the rooster shouting for everybody to wake up whilst jogging past BoJack’s home.

The delivery of the comedy is half-mirrored in BoJack’s personality itself; in its steady pace but not its reservation. It is perhaps not unreasonably reserved for a debut season, however, in the face of Archer’s pull-no-punches freight-train writing, BoJack should be prepared to kick it up a gear in the near future.

The big picture of the show is the outright absurdity of the life of the B-list celebrity and the ever-present media eye. When BoJack comes under media fire after an altercation with a ‘seal’ regarding breakfast muffins, fans will appreciate how well it resembles those stories you see when you turn on the TV, or flip the page in a newspaper which prompt the question; ‘How is this news?’

I’m highly optimistic about the future of this cartoon. It definitely has the potential to achieve great comedy. With a clearly talented set of writers, a little quicker pacing in the delivery of the already very intelligent wit could put this show in my list of favourites. If you appreciate keen-eye animated sitcoms and lots of visual puns, this is for you. Rating: 7.5/10
  40. Feb 16, 2015
    Don't let the critic reviews fool you. This show is very funny, and has a lot of character development and building in the series that you wouldn't expect from a cartoon. You actually feel sorry for Bojak at many points. I'd definitely recommend it.
  41. Jan 30, 2015
    Edit: This show is great. They combine elements of ridiculousness, silliness, and animals, with bigger ideas like the effects of the media and fame on people. Glad it was renewed for a season 2.
  42. Jan 22, 2015
    The first time I saw this available on Netflix I thought, ‘Animal character interacting with human in kooky scenario. I’m so in that zone at the moment. That is so me.’ I think I even exclaimed to the person next to me, “I’m the kind of person they wrote this for.” Before never watching it for months.....A couple of minutes into the Christmas Special I thought maybe I needed to see theThe first time I saw this available on Netflix I thought, ‘Animal character interacting with human in kooky scenario. I’m so in that zone at the moment. That is so me.’ I think I even exclaimed to the person next to me, “I’m the kind of person they wrote this for.” Before never watching it for months.....A couple of minutes into the Christmas Special I thought maybe I needed to see the regular episodes to appreciate the humour. So I watched some regular episodes and - no lie – we’re working on a 1 laugh to 3 episode ratio....I liked Kristin Schaal’s voice acting, but she has done better work in Bob’s Burgers. I enjoyed the idea of Will Arnett being in it, but this is far from his best: not even close to Arrested Development and I was a little bit cringed out for him by the end of it.

Full review available at ponderflix on wordpress.
  43. Jan 14, 2015
    A dark comedy about just how burned out we can get. Its subtle and overt in the same minute but its good at staying consistent and it makes you believe in its universe. It's brilliant. Its hilarious. Its a show about laughing at how life sucks. Its a show about thinking your life sucks when everything but the thing you want is going your way.
  44. Jan 12, 2015
    Bojack Horseman is an animated drama disguised as an animated sitcom, with the season structure of a novel. The show's persistent camouflage is one of the strangest things I've seen on "television". I've watched the whole series twice now, and I do not agree, as is so often stated here, that the first few episodes are bad. I just think it takes a little while to learn the vocabulary andBojack Horseman is an animated drama disguised as an animated sitcom, with the season structure of a novel. The show's persistent camouflage is one of the strangest things I've seen on "television". I've watched the whole series twice now, and I do not agree, as is so often stated here, that the first few episodes are bad. I just think it takes a little while to learn the vocabulary and body language of this show. The real humor of Bojack Horseman is often something very subtle hidden behind a far more obvious or gaudy joke. Try watching those early episodes again, once you are fluent in Bojack, and see if you still think they're tame. That's not to say that the show does not improve as it goes on. The writers use continuity and character development at Arrested Development levels, and the result here is equally satisfying. By the end of the season, you look around and realize that you've got a cast full of (startlingly) three dimensional characters in a plot sophisticated enough for any HBO uberdrama. It's a neat trick. I hope the second season is as well orchestrated as this one. Expand
  45. Jan 10, 2015
    The single best show I have ever seen. Dark and insightful while remaining hilariously funny.

Don't give up on it after a couple episodes, they get better and better, culminating with the alternating-between-sobbing-and-laughing "Downer Ending" in episode 11.
  46. Jan 7, 2015
    Bojack Horseman may come off as a raunchy comedy featuring a pathetic washed out TV star, whose heart may (or may not, its hard to tell) be in the right place. But three episodes in and it becomes apparent that this cynical satire has much more to offer than just comedy.

It's a social commentary about how each of our decisions have consequences that affects others, and that not realizing the consequences of said actions does not make you any less of a terrible person. I'm not making this up, Bojack explicitly states this during one of the episodes, only he is talking to some blonde lady who hurt his feelings. And yes, he is completely unaware of his Freudian slip.

There are many other topics and painful truths delivered in stinging cynicism and satire, so it may not be a good show those who are prone to becoming butt-hurt at the first recognition of their own flaws.

So if you want to dive into the inner mind of a truly troubled Horse, go ahead. Be warned though...
    You won't be satisfied until you've seen the entire series at least twice.

(Careful what you wish for)
  47. Dec 29, 2014
    I was expecting something like family guy today episodes (not that funny anymore), and i was surprised, the characters are really good and the jokes are also supreme compared to other shows.

This is a piece of art!!!
  48. Dec 9, 2014
    I first started watching the series because I wanted something cheesy, campy, and silly that could pass for background noise while I studied. If that is what you are picking up the show for, then enjoy the first few episodes and stop there. What I barely considered to be a cheap attempt at a new Archer turned into something more. As I followed it the seemingly one dimensional mainI first started watching the series because I wanted something cheesy, campy, and silly that could pass for background noise while I studied. If that is what you are picking up the show for, then enjoy the first few episodes and stop there. What I barely considered to be a cheap attempt at a new Archer turned into something more. As I followed it the seemingly one dimensional main character gained depth, and the show became sharing his adventure through heartbreak, regret, inner pain, and self recognition. If you want something that will take you from a few chuckles to speechless, then watch the series, and see if you can say anything at the end other than "damn." Expand
  49. Nov 18, 2014
    Surprisingly good, I went into the show expecting something like Brickleberry, shallow, crass, trying too hard. But Bojack Horseman is actually a pretty deep show with some complex characters and issues. Sure it's funny, and the animation is silly, but the writing really delves into some hard hitting stuff.
  50. Nov 11, 2014
    I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this show at first, it looked like your typical Family Guy copycat from the way Netflix advertised it. But I decided to give a chance anyways. After 3 episodes, it gets really, really good, and is not only one of my favorite shows of the year, but one of my favorite animated comedy-dramas, and favorite adult animated shows.
  51. Oct 29, 2014
    This Series is so horrible!! Not funny, full of stupid cliches(pinkman as the junky), and the art-style is very boring !! I tried it so hard, really but everything in this series is so generic and hackneyed. If you are one of the guys that think Simpson's got lame the last seasons, then make a big bow around BoJack cause this series is morphine for your laughing muscles.
  52. Oct 17, 2014
    Similar to many of the other reviewers, I had very low expectations for this show when I started watching it. To be honest it took me about three episodes to get completely sold on the show. I personally don't think that this show is very funny, but it is very good. It's also not very happy, but it is very good. The show takes typical cliches and turns them on their head. I will keep thisSimilar to many of the other reviewers, I had very low expectations for this show when I started watching it. To be honest it took me about three episodes to get completely sold on the show. I personally don't think that this show is very funny, but it is very good. It's also not very happy, but it is very good. The show takes typical cliches and turns them on their head. I will keep this review short and to the point. What makes the show good is the fact that it actually manages to emotionally grab you in a very ridiculous setting. The juxtaposition between the absurd and emotional creates a contrast that makes the intention of the writers very very clear. This allows them to take you on a ride that today's dramas often fail to accomplish. The show is not necessarily all good. The writers walk a line between humorous and emotional (the thing that is great about the show). BoJack Horseman sometimes tries to be a little too funny, as if it wants to be an Archer, South Park, or Family Guy esque' show. All-in-all, I cannot recommend this show enough. Give it a couple episodes. (I literally made a metacritic account to review this series) Expand
  53. Oct 17, 2014
    Loved this show! I also like how this show has a chronological storyline and follows a story and plot, unlike many animated shows that start and end a story with each episode. Even the theme song from Patrick Carney is catchy and ringtone material. Also, I don't understand the negative reviews that complain about how this show fails at being a Seth MacFarlane type of show. I love FamilyLoved this show! I also like how this show has a chronological storyline and follows a story and plot, unlike many animated shows that start and end a story with each episode. Even the theme song from Patrick Carney is catchy and ringtone material. Also, I don't understand the negative reviews that complain about how this show fails at being a Seth MacFarlane type of show. I love Family Guy, and Seth's other shows, and I also love this show. But I don't think Bojack Horseman was supposed to be a show like Family Guy. It's something beautiful and something very, very original. Expand
  54. Oct 8, 2014
    Loved it. Strangely enough I think that the humour in this show may appeal more to those on the British Isles than those in the states. Don't think some of those critics 'get it'.
  55. Oct 6, 2014
    The problem that those who dislike the show have with BoJack Horseman is that it's not jammed full of humor like other shows are. If that's what you're looking for, try South Park or Family Guy. What BoJack has that makes up for this is a dark, witty humor, and really in depth character development. Don't get me wrong, there are still some really funny random things in the show to make youThe problem that those who dislike the show have with BoJack Horseman is that it's not jammed full of humor like other shows are. If that's what you're looking for, try South Park or Family Guy. What BoJack has that makes up for this is a dark, witty humor, and really in depth character development. Don't get me wrong, there are still some really funny random things in the show to make you laugh, but this show knows not to rely solely on randomness to get laughs.

Possibly the most enjoyable aspect is BoJack's continuity. It knows how to pick out it's own loose ends and tie them up accordingly. Some things mentioned and dropped in earlier episodes taken as throw away jokes become pivotal plot points later in the series.

After the first half of the series, it turns itself on it's head and becomes incredibly addictive. It's a long setup to the truly great second half of the series where it finally finds it's stride but it's worth every 25 minute increment of the series. Highly recommended to those who can take an occasional kick in the teeth with their humor.
  56. Oct 5, 2014
    This show is awesome. The writers, voice actors, and animators have created on screen chemistry between characters and their environment that goes above and beyond the overwhelming majority of animated shows. It's organic, relatable, and clever. I like that the series is a story and each episode builds off the previous episode. It's unique and definitely worth a watch.
  57. Sep 25, 2014
    This is one of those shows that I just have to say "if you didn't like it, you probably didn't 'get' it". Don't compare it to Family Guy. Don't compare it to Archer. Just watch it for what it is and I think you'll enjoy it. It's not an all-out laugh riot - most of the jokes are tongue in cheek, some witty, and some just silly puns. But under everything, there's heart. I watched the firstThis is one of those shows that I just have to say "if you didn't like it, you probably didn't 'get' it". Don't compare it to Family Guy. Don't compare it to Archer. Just watch it for what it is and I think you'll enjoy it. It's not an all-out laugh riot - most of the jokes are tongue in cheek, some witty, and some just silly puns. But under everything, there's heart. I watched the first episode not expecting to like it, but I was hooked - and the episodes just got better from then on.

I think there were some moments when I felt like the pacing could be improved, so I notched a point for that. Other than that, I can't stop thinking about this show. It's intro theme is my morning alarm and I don't feel like dismissing it either!

Those of you who gave up during the first episode - give it another shot. And those of you who still don't like it - that's fine, it's definitely not for everyone.
  58. Sep 25, 2014
    I didn't know what to expect going into a Netflix original cartoon, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Each episode seems to build off the plot of the last into a more hilarious and inviting situation. Characters became deeper, and a lot of questions I had raised at first were answered after an episode or two. The story continues each episode in a way that The Simpsons, Family guy, SouthI didn't know what to expect going into a Netflix original cartoon, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Each episode seems to build off the plot of the last into a more hilarious and inviting situation. Characters became deeper, and a lot of questions I had raised at first were answered after an episode or two. The story continues each episode in a way that The Simpsons, Family guy, South Park, etc. seemingly cannot accomplish, as the characters continue to gain depth and interest for the viewer. Every scene has a consequence (something forgotten in most cartoons), some are very intense. I never thought that I would have genuine feelings for a talking horse, but after watching season 1 twice over, I can't wait for more. If you have a Netflix account there is no excuse for not viewing this. Though the season finale gave closure, it definitely left fans of BoJack wanting more.

Drugs are recommended before viewing episode 11 to make it extra awesome.
  59. Sep 21, 2014
    I started watching this with fairly low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. The use of a season long story arc is refreshing for an animated comedy. Bojack's alternating between self reflection and consciously turning his mnd off and behaving like a jerk is weirdly a more realistic portrayal of a person (ha) than the one dimensional characters you see SNL alums crank out onI started watching this with fairly low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. The use of a season long story arc is refreshing for an animated comedy. Bojack's alternating between self reflection and consciously turning his mnd off and behaving like a jerk is weirdly a more realistic portrayal of a person (ha) than the one dimensional characters you see SNL alums crank out on network tv. Also the characters don't raise their eyebrows after every joke.

Surprised there are so many sour grapes reviews from so called professional reviewers, you think if your job was to watch tv you'd get that this isn't supposed to be a laugh out loud kind of show.

Funny show but more than that, entertaining.
  60. Sep 20, 2014
    The critics are mixed about this show. I guess this show isn't made to impress the critics but rather to impress the audience especially comedy fans like me.

The first few episodes made the show look like the Nerflix's answer to The Simpsons and Family Guy with non-linear storylines. But halfway through the season, this show made an interesting arc story that wants me to keep binge-watch the show to know what happens next.

The way they told the story is impressive for an adult animated series. That's how you should write a TV show by setting up an arc to keep the viewers interested.

The voice acting is great in this show. Despite his recognizable deep voice, Will Arnet did a good job voicing the titular character. Aaron Paul, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris and basically anyone who voiced the characters in this show also did a good job in voicing their characters. They carry this show in my opinion.

The character development is also really good. I never expected this for a 12-episode season.

The humor is okay for the most part. There were some parts where it tried too hard to be funny but overall, most of the humor felt natural and funny thanks to the voice acting from the cast.

I really don't like the sex scenes in this show. It felt unnecessary for a show that has talking animals and humans in the same world and I am not into the idea of bestiality here.

The animation of this show is really good. I understand why some people say it's ugly but to me it's impressive and eye-candy.

The final episode sure knows how to set-up a potential arc for the next season while also providing a satisfying conclusion in case the show does not get picked up for a second season for Netflix. Glad they renewed it because I want to know what happens next.

Overall, this show won't gather any Emmys or any awards in particular but this show won something and that is a loyal fanbase waiting for the second season to come.
  61. Sep 17, 2014
    The writing better than what the critics and some users are putting off. I have watched the first season 3 times. The writing gets much more complex past the 3rd episode. The characters represent different pains, struggles, and experiences that one another experienced. For example, Bojack's constant party lifestyle, yet intellectual perspective is perfectly paralleled with Diane'sThe writing better than what the critics and some users are putting off. I have watched the first season 3 times. The writing gets much more complex past the 3rd episode. The characters represent different pains, struggles, and experiences that one another experienced. For example, Bojack's constant party lifestyle, yet intellectual perspective is perfectly paralleled with Diane's experiences in High School with the party life, while intelligent enough to articulate their own emotions, too afraid to address their own problems. Rather, they critique one another, which is a reflection of themselves. Mr. Peanutbutter is one of my favorite characters in the show, his always positive attitude is actually the exact opposite of Bojack's personality (Bojack being smart, depressed. PB being positive & stupid.), how quaint it would be for Diane to be in a relationship with Mr. Peanutbutter, while Bojack's secrete love for her brings out many changes in himself. Eventually Bojack's need for approval by Diane makes his pain and problems apparent in the last few episodes.

I could write so much more, these are only 3 characters in the story. So many good things about this series, it is worth watching, the writing may seem simple, but it is more complex than many shows out there.
  62. Sep 12, 2014
    Just awful writing. Even if it does get better after the first few episodes, how anyone could put themselves through that kind of punishment is beyond me.
  63. Sep 12, 2014
    The show is great. Some criticize a lack of humor, but the show's goal isn't to be funny. The existential struggle of BoJack is the core of the writing and these heavy undertones are carried along by the cartoon animation and humor.

If you love the intro you will love the show.
  64. Sep 11, 2014
    I hate most animated tv shows. This show is nothing like any other adult cartoon I have seen, IT has a very dark and kind of sad story, but at the same time has lots of jokes that make me giggle. There are also tons of little jokes and pokes at things that I know most people don't catch. It is a good dark comedy.
  65. Sep 10, 2014
    BoJack Horseman is a show that wears a couple of different hats. It's one of those comedies that's more about being a tragedy. It's a sort of dark humor with a societal commentary that seems to be having critics scratching their heads. There's a reason it's not on network television: most viewers going in would be expecting one thing and would miss the point. It's a very biting humor thatBoJack Horseman is a show that wears a couple of different hats. It's one of those comedies that's more about being a tragedy. It's a sort of dark humor with a societal commentary that seems to be having critics scratching their heads. There's a reason it's not on network television: most viewers going in would be expecting one thing and would miss the point. It's a very biting humor that rewards you the more of it you watch. Running jokes lighten up some of the darker moments (and there is quite a few), while the characters really drive the show. Most of the cast are kind of one-trick ponies with there being very little arcs to the characters but this almost feels intentional, as the show seems to be trying to turn old tropes on their heads. This is not a story about people changing -- it's a story about them staying the same and suffering for it, much like reality. Expand
  66. Sep 10, 2014
    I'll admit to being stand-off-ish at first... a talking horse? other talking animals? It's every bit as odd as it is funny. It goes pretty deep too. Will Arnett has some amazing voice-over work here.
  67. Sep 9, 2014
    i didn't put any thought will it be good or bad i was just bored. I put netflix on and it was on the front page. it wasn't so funny but i liked the characters enough to watch the 1st season. I mostly only liked bojack and some minor characters, but every character had great voice acting
  68. Sep 9, 2014
    Critics got this one dead wrong - BoJack is an incredible portrait of an individual suffering from the deeply felt anxieties that we all experience living today's society. It is incredibly rare for a show to tap so deeply into this vein with equal parts zany humor, smart dialogue, and overwhelming sadness. Netflix, listen to your audience!
  69. Sep 6, 2014
    A dirty little comedy series that has some clever little moments. Is it worth the watch, sure if you dig shows like Family Guy, Archer and the ilk. Don't expect much out of it and you'll have a good time.
  70. Sep 6, 2014
    Goofy, cynical humor all in good fun. The first episode plays it very safe, but as the season progresses the jokes get naughtier, stranger, and much more dark in tone.

Oddly enough it reminds me of Hotline Miami
  71. Sep 6, 2014
    BoJack Horseman is not the typical cartoon comedy it's advertisements make it out to be. That isn't a bad thing though. In fact, the commercials lowered my expectations for it greatly before I watched the thing. I went in thinking to waste an hour with a couple of tripe if not harmless episodes of a decently voice acted cartoon that could easily have been another Comedy Central animatedBoJack Horseman is not the typical cartoon comedy it's advertisements make it out to be. That isn't a bad thing though. In fact, the commercials lowered my expectations for it greatly before I watched the thing. I went in thinking to waste an hour with a couple of tripe if not harmless episodes of a decently voice acted cartoon that could easily have been another Comedy Central animated show to be canceled after one season. After binging on in for six or so hours to the shows completion, I can safely and happily say that I was dead wrong about it.

The show revolves around the titular BoJack Horseman, an anthropomorphic horse has-been television star as he tries to hold on to his stardom by way of writing an autobiography. Since he's procrastinated so long on the book, the failing publishing company hires him a ghost writer. He also deals with his over inflated ego and whatever life throws at him.

One thing about the plot and the characters that sets BoJack Horseman apart from other cartoon comedies is how the characters and the plot grow and evolve. Most every main and supporting character develops as the show goes along, transitioning from their sitcom-esque roles to something more three dimensional. Don't get me wrong, a lot of them stay within the stereotype they were cast in, from the egomaniac wash up, to the work obsessed woman of steel, to the introverted nerd girl. But, they develop so that they feel more like people than just character designs pasted to a list of vaguely relateable and hilarious personalities.

It should be known that this show has a dry sense of humor and sometimes a dark one. Nothing will be side splitting hilarious. So if that isn't your type of humor, then you probably won't get a chuckle out of it. If you're not sure if it's your kind of humor I recommend watching more than the pilot, which is bland and probably the lowest point of the show. At least the first two or three episodes to get a feel. It's a lot of time to waste, but since it's a Netflix exclusive it's time you can waste whenever you want.

Speaking of Netflix, I'd like to bring up that this show, like the new season of Arrested Development(maybe all of it), uses the online streaming format to it's advantage by throwing out a lot of running gags that may fall flat the first time around get better with each iteration. This works so well for Netflix rather than cable is because instead of watching one episode and waiting a week, you can watch any episode at any time. You don't have to worry about not being in on a reference from the previous episode because you missed that one last week or just forgot it happened.

Another good thing that comes out of this is the continuity. Things that would normally be throw away gags in other sitcoms and cartoons stay with the show for a few episodes, some until the very end. This builds the slightly bizarre world around BoJack Horseman and adds some weight to the plot and it's characters. It was a bit of a slap to the face to find that a few exchanged lines in an early episode help paint the plot of one that comes much later in the season.

BoJack Horseman is a unique show but isn't for everyone. For the audience that it does hit, it will hit hard. The cast is wonderfully voice acted and while the animation is well done flash animation, it should distract from the story. It's a hell of a ride for anyone interested in an old horse living in Hollywoo.
  72. Sep 6, 2014
    So I'm a bit more hipster the the average person and the sight of a tv show based around a horse grabbed my attention. The voice action was above average so I was pretty happy about that. The writing was great but not the way that you probably wanted it to be. I shipped BoJack and Diane so bad. I almost cried when something happens. Over all it was a great show that you wont forget.So I'm a bit more hipster the the average person and the sight of a tv show based around a horse grabbed my attention. The voice action was above average so I was pretty happy about that. The writing was great but not the way that you probably wanted it to be. I shipped BoJack and Diane so bad. I almost cried when something happens. Over all it was a great show that you wont forget. Especially if you binge watch the first season in one night like I did. 10/10 best show in history of history. Also Dr. Who, Suspenders and old cameras. Oh and Adventure Time. The end. Expand
  73. Sep 5, 2014
    Someone said this show is more clever than funny although this is true it's also very funny and imagine not only will it get better next season but also upon multiple viewings.
  74. Sep 3, 2014
    I gave this show a 10, because once you get past the godawful first three episodes, it grows into something unique that I haven't really seen done by any other comedy. I'd describe it as a mix of Entourage, Family Guy, and The Stranger by Albert Camus.

The middle episodes aren't laugh-a-minute, but they have some genuinely hilarious jokes, a ton of great references, and really engaging characters. By the penultimate episode, you'll be feeling genuine emotions for horse- and cat-people.

I'd give it a shot, each episode is only 25 minutes long anyway.
  75. Sep 3, 2014
    I just thought it would give me a few laughs, but coming out of that show I'll never feel the same again... Has amazing views on things like the media and things like that, worth a watch.
  76. Sep 3, 2014
    I've seen a good few negative reviews of BoJack Horseman, from critics and viewers, and I can certainly see why anyone that stopped watching after one or two episodes would hold those views as the show doesn't start all that strongly.

After a slow start however things do start to pick up. The continuity from episode to episode really helps build momentum, adding a bit more depth to proceedings than many other animated series, as well as allowing for some funny 'Arrested Development' style running jokes. The strong voice cast (that includes Will Arnett, Allison Brie and Aaron Paul) helps make the best of the script meaning that, even though it doesn't often threaten to reach the heights of shows such as The Simpsons or Archer at their best, BoJack Horseman does enough during this debut season for me to want to watch the confirmed second season.
  77. Sep 2, 2014
    I had seen this show on Netflix a number of times and passed it over... I usually find animated series for the adult audience a bit well, meh.

But upon a recommendation from a friend I decided to give it a go. After two episodes I was hooked. Whilst most of the humour was of the chuckle variety as opposed to belly laughs, there were genuine moments where I had tears rolling down my

But upon a recommendation from a friend I decided to give it a go.

After two episodes I was hooked. Whilst most of the humour was of the chuckle variety as opposed to belly laughs, there were genuine moments where I had tears rolling down my face.

I look ahead to the next series with excitement!
  78. Sep 1, 2014
    BoJack Horseman is at surface level another animated adult show with a weird premise, but after finishing out the first season(I do hope for a season 2) I found it to be quite good. The comedy while not laugh out loud funny is enjoyable(especially in the later episodes), it also has a rather deep narrative. Overall this is a great show, in the piles of unthoughtful media(Family Guy,BoJack Horseman is at surface level another animated adult show with a weird premise, but after finishing out the first season(I do hope for a season 2) I found it to be quite good. The comedy while not laugh out loud funny is enjoyable(especially in the later episodes), it also has a rather deep narrative. Overall this is a great show, in the piles of unthoughtful media(Family Guy, Squidbillies, and numerous others) is a rare gem. Expand
  79. Sep 1, 2014
    The first episode is mediocre. The second episode is worse. But both are necessary for the truly outstanding second half of the season. (And that the professional critics were given only the first half of the season feels very unjust.) This is one of the first half hour shows that I know of that was designed to be a cohesive season, and it should not be judged on an episode-by-episodeThe first episode is mediocre. The second episode is worse. But both are necessary for the truly outstanding second half of the season. (And that the professional critics were given only the first half of the season feels very unjust.) This is one of the first half hour shows that I know of that was designed to be a cohesive season, and it should not be judged on an episode-by-episode basis. To stop watching this show after an episode or two would be the equivalent of walking out of a movie. That being said, it is a massive time investment, but one that I am truly glad I made, albeit unintentionally. I thought I was just watching a crappy show whose gimmicks kept me entertained. I am glad that those carried me over into what the creators really wanted to do in the second half.

That is the nature of the show, but as far as what it is about... Its about being lonely, scared, regretful, lost, and somewhat ironically, being human.

One point removed from a 10/10 score because what had to be achieved in the first six episodes probably could have been done in four, and there was some oddly placed humor in the second half that distracted from the poignancy of some of the moments.
  80. Sep 1, 2014
    After having seen this show come up multiple times online I decided to watch it, on a whim. After having watched the first two back-to-back I got word that it gets much better later, enticing me to continue onward with the show. Boy does it ever. On the outside it appears to be a quirky comedy about a talking horse-man, but once you start watching you begin to relate with BoJack and theAfter having seen this show come up multiple times online I decided to watch it, on a whim. After having watched the first two back-to-back I got word that it gets much better later, enticing me to continue onward with the show. Boy does it ever. On the outside it appears to be a quirky comedy about a talking horse-man, but once you start watching you begin to relate with BoJack and the cast of characters which surround him. I couldn't help but compare it to other animated shows like King of the Hill or Morel Orel in which have plenty of funny moments but also takes you for an emotional roller coaster. BoJack does more of the latter with the former sprinkled in. While, admittedly, the first two episodes are somewhat mediocre for the most part each episode compliments the last well. If you're looking for cutaway jokes and toilet humor this probably isn't the right show however if you're looking for a character driven narration this is for you. Expand
  81. Aug 31, 2014
    The most interesting thing in the show is the progressive development of the characters, mainly the protagonist. When I saw the first episode I believed that was just one more funny show with nice references, but in the end of season, I was really surprised with the work in this animation.
  82. Aug 31, 2014
    This is a Netflix original staring Will Arnett,Alison Brie
    and Aaron Paul. It's a alright animated series
    with it's good parts and slow parts. It does have a nice change of pace from most TV shows on Netflix. The humor isn't for everyone but it has some points where it really works and it pays off. Seeing all the different celebrity cameos they have in the show is a nice touch to.
    This is a Netflix original staring Will Arnett,Alison Brie
    and Aaron Paul. It's a alright animated series
    with it's good parts and slow parts. It does have
    a nice change of pace from most TV shows on
    Netflix. The humor isn't for everyone but it has some
    points where it really works and it pays off.
    Seeing all the different celebrity cameos they
    have in the show is a nice touch to.
    Overall it's a decent 12 Episode show and worth
    watching if you are a fan of the voice actors
    and off beat humor.

ToFewViews.
  83. Aug 31, 2014
    Bojack Horseman starts off having nothing really going for it. It's got some good lines here and there, but the first few episodes really drag on. But by the end, it actually gets fantastic. The last 3-4 episodes are worth dragging through the early crap. It was a show that the writers at first didn't seem to know what to do with, but by the end of season 1, it is simply fantastic.
  84. Aug 31, 2014
    A pretty humorous take on Hollywood personalities, though it is indeed more of a drama series. The characters are likeable and deep, and the story is paced pretty well. Although I have a feeling that they probably should end the show at season 1, because it ended quite well.
  85. Aug 30, 2014
    So heavily influenced from the Family Guy, it almost feels like they're just doing what worked at some point in time for comedy just to cash in on the trend. The show relies so heavily on the format of flash back gags, it hardly feels original at all when it tries to deliver a joke. Sometimes the jokes don't know when to stop. It's like when a friend keeps adding on to a bad joke toSo heavily influenced from the Family Guy, it almost feels like they're just doing what worked at some point in time for comedy just to cash in on the trend. The show relies so heavily on the format of flash back gags, it hardly feels original at all when it tries to deliver a joke. Sometimes the jokes don't know when to stop. It's like when a friend keeps adding on to a bad joke to recover, but never does cause you keep waiting for it to. There's no cane to pull the jokes off the stage. The cane never came.

The only original aspect of the show is the concept, which actually is the show's only redeeming quality. Unfortunately there's only so much a good idea for a story can do if it bombs the genre it's in. Maybe they should just go for a drama. I mean Netflix is already good at those.
  86. Aug 29, 2014
    I was sceptical. I hadn´t heard of the show, but I had a moment of boredom, and decided to give it a shot. I was glad I did. This has quickly become my favourite show of the year. I for one can´t fathom the critics review of this show.
  87. Aug 29, 2014
    The first episode wasn't very good. Reminded me of Family Guy. Seemed like the same formula, but I continued watching because Arnett/Paul. The show really developed throughout the season. Very funny and relatively serious at points.
  88. Aug 28, 2014
    This show is great in my opinion. Not to the calibre of House Of Cards or Orange Is The New Black, but it has potential to be one of the greats. The first episode is not really good, but much like OITNB, it progresses as it gets older. After a few episodes this show grows in to its self. About the first 4-5 episodes this show thinks its a comedy with small dramatic undertones and itThis show is great in my opinion. Not to the calibre of House Of Cards or Orange Is The New Black, but it has potential to be one of the greats. The first episode is not really good, but much like OITNB, it progresses as it gets older. After a few episodes this show grows in to its self. About the first 4-5 episodes this show thinks its a comedy with small dramatic undertones and it finally realizes that the writing is clever and not laugh out loud and they grow in to a drama with some comedy. Give it the first few episodes and you'll want to religiously binge the rest of it like other great shows on netflix. I am obsessed Expand
  89. Aug 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you've logged into Netflix this past week or so, you may have noticed there's a new animated show that looks like the facebook photos from that one weird friend of yours that bought and wears a horse head mask... and the show is called "BoJack Horseman."

Then you start watching. And you hear some familiar voices, Will Arnett's Marlboro Country voice brings the titular character of "BoJack" to life. He's the perfect person for the character. Bojack has all the best and worst features of Arnett's catalog of characters. But there's much much more to him than just "G.O.B." in Horseface.

Next we meet Todd, the Kato Kaelin of show. He's just some guy that sleeps on BoJack's couch, subtly voiced by Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul, the character seems like a throw away sidekick. "Princess Carolyn" portrayed by Amy Sedaris is BoJack's off again on again lover / agent, and his best frenemy "Mr Peanut Butter" played by Paul F. Thompkins and Alison Brie as "Diane" rounds out the main cast, with additional voices from Patton Oswalt and several others from the Alt comedy world as reoccurring roles.

BoJack Horseman lives large in his swanky pad in the Hollywoo(d) Hills, that has a great view of the Hollywoo(d) sign, in a way that seems fairly unlikely if you're familiar with Los Angeles actual geography (as with the view from Princess Carolyn's office view of the Malibu coast, when the building is the middle of the city around Mid-Wilshire). BoJack was the star of network sitcom "Horsin' Around," with a fairly trite premise, a bachelor winds up having to raise several random children. Which not-coincidentally happens to be the same premise of his friend's show "Mr Peanut Butter's House"only he's raising twin girls. Oh, Network TV... how the 90s were such simpler times. But now he's burned most of the bridges in town, he's gotten a bit fat, has a wee bit of a drinking problem and he's a few... months behind in his autobiography and has burned through his advance, so he hires a ghost writer, "Diane" (Alison Brie) to put his life on the page.

The Los Angeles of "BoJack Horseman" is similar to the New York of "Ugly Americans" as are the art styles, where anthropomorphic animals live and work side by side with normal humans, only no one makes any big deal about it. BoJack isn't a guy with a horsehead mask, he's a horse that walks on two legs, and has a KanYe West level ego. The absurdity is nonchalant, and you quickly get past how there's almost more animal people than people people. Los Angeles is a melting pot.

Where the show gets you, after it establishes the characters, is how real it is. Yes, there is the occasional Family Guy-esque cutaway for an odd joke or sight gag, but at its heart, it's Louie meets Entourage in the best way possible. You see the the day-to-day of Hollywood, and it's also character driven. BoJack starts to fall in love with his biographer, Diane, and doesn't understand that he's not actually in love with her as the person. she's merely a cypher for everyone else's ego. She's from Boston, and in an episode she takes BoJack home with her to visit her family to find her sports obsessed brothers just put icepacks on their recently deceased father, in his chair on the other side of the living room, because they were too busy watching a tape of a Baseball game from '86, to actually do something. Everything falls onto Diane's shoulders, at home in Boston, with BoJack as well as her boyfriend, Mr Peanut Butter, who marries her, because he thinks that what she wants, and we follow several episodes of BoJack attempting to woo her, because he feels like he's in love with her because she listens to him.

Towards the end of the season, they set the jokes to the backburner and we get to delve deeper into BoJack's past, he gets a call from his friend who announces he has cancer, and BoJack has to go to Malibu to visit, but doesn't want to as its been twenty years since they last saw eachother and it hadn't ended well. The latter part of the season gets down right poignant when BoJack is forced to deal with his mortality and goes on a drug fueled bender after disapproving of the manuscript Diane submitted to his publisher, claiming he can write a better book by the weekend, but he ends up accepting.

The show also plays around with words quite a bit, like when BoJack gets into PR war with a Navy SEAL who is actually a Seal, and when BoJack's agent gets him a job for an Herbal German Bourbon commercial, word play worthy of Arrested Development. Despite the show's rocky first few episodes, as the series progresses it gets better and better, delving into heart of the fickle mistress that is fame. BoJack Horseman is a helluva show. It would have been right at home on adultswim, or possibly FXX but with NetFlix, you're able to binge the whole 12 episode run over a day or so, which you'll be glad you did.
  90. Aug 28, 2014
    This show is awesome. It got better and better. I went into it only expecting a ridiculous and outlandish comedy in the style of family guy, but was surprised to find it had so much more. It has a lot of heart and makes some serious social commentary on our society. I couldn't stop watching and within 2 days I had finished the season. The ending of the first season, last 2 episodes,This show is awesome. It got better and better. I went into it only expecting a ridiculous and outlandish comedy in the style of family guy, but was surprised to find it had so much more. It has a lot of heart and makes some serious social commentary on our society. I couldn't stop watching and within 2 days I had finished the season. The ending of the first season, last 2 episodes, really moved me. I left with a need to watch more Bojack, who is actually comes off as a whole and complex person, I mean horse. I can't wait for season 2 to premier! Expand
  91. Aug 28, 2014
    It's not as bad as reviewers write. It is not my all-time favorite, but if you like Rick & Morty or Archer (and you have to wait for the new episodes) than BoJack Horseman will give you some entertaining hours.
  92. Aug 27, 2014
    Here we have a show that's already criminally underrated because people aren't willing to stick around and let it grow on them, maybe they're expecting something else because of the premise? The best part of this series is the way the narrative expands and the characters actually grow. That really took me by surprise because I was totally expecting it to come off as overly vulgar for theHere we have a show that's already criminally underrated because people aren't willing to stick around and let it grow on them, maybe they're expecting something else because of the premise? The best part of this series is the way the narrative expands and the characters actually grow. That really took me by surprise because I was totally expecting it to come off as overly vulgar for the sake of quick laughs. It's not that, this show's for the people who are looking for a little more from their animated comedies than something shallow, and while yes, he is a horse-man, Bojack's plight ends up interesting and funny, but most of all, it's endearing. Expand
  93. Aug 27, 2014
    i enjoyed this show a great deal. i hope netflix continues to push out into strange waters like they did here. Bojack was a 90's sitcom star, and now at 50 is a washed up b-list celebrity has-been with a massive ego which starts to crumble as he realizes (through working with an autobiography ghost writer) what a massive jerk he is. this has many funny moments, but as it goes on, iti enjoyed this show a great deal. i hope netflix continues to push out into strange waters like they did here. Bojack was a 90's sitcom star, and now at 50 is a washed up b-list celebrity has-been with a massive ego which starts to crumble as he realizes (through working with an autobiography ghost writer) what a massive jerk he is. this has many funny moments, but as it goes on, it becomes more than a comedy. it's a witty, humorous, but heartfelt trip through a series of existential crises experienced by a man(ish) approaching that time of life where he needs to know how he's added up. great voice acting all around, though at times i wish the animation was a little smoother. will arnett and aaron paul stand out, with strong supporting cast including patton oswalt. Expand
  94. Aug 27, 2014
    There is all different type of comedies and this is one i enjoy. I find it entertaining enough to keep on watching. I watched the whole series in one day. People are used to to family guy type funny which i do not find funny anymore. This type is my like Adult Swim comedy. Rick and Morty, and Cleveland Show, and American Dad funny.
  95. Aug 27, 2014
    Like many will say, the show starts off bad.
    However, it finishes strongly leaving you with a taste for more.
    The characters have depth and will get you thinking about some of the stupid things you do in life.

I enjoyed it more than I would've first thought.
  96. Aug 27, 2014
    I'm shocked by some of the critical responses to BoJack. The writing deserves a whole lot more respect, a) for its commitment to character-driven storytelling (hence its comparison to Archer) and b) for its dry and entirely bleak sense of humour.

The show certainly improves with successive episodes but a lot of that is to do with the way that the farce is allowed to play out throughout the season (rather than being contained in any specific episode - again, like Archer). However, what makes it feel special is its commitment to depicting real life in all of its absurd and upsetting glory.

TVs full of cynical and often poignant parodies/critiques of showbiz and American Narcisism - albeit in the lighthearted way that Arrested Dev, 30Rock and Always Sunny all are. Personally, I think that BoJack offers the genre a hilarious and heavy-hearted version of the same and a much needed antidote to a lot of the underinteligent and storyless crap that people seem to love so much.

Also, it does indeed have an awesome cast and some great voice work.
  97. Aug 26, 2014
    In the first few episodes, you can tell that the creators weren't entirely sure where to take the series. The story really doesn't develop until about 7 episodes in. It takes a turn like something you'd see in Louie. It becomes much more serious. Bojack as a character develops along with the range of jokes in the show. The use of flashbacks to give the backdrop throughout the season isIn the first few episodes, you can tell that the creators weren't entirely sure where to take the series. The story really doesn't develop until about 7 episodes in. It takes a turn like something you'd see in Louie. It becomes much more serious. Bojack as a character develops along with the range of jokes in the show. The use of flashbacks to give the backdrop throughout the season is wonderfully executed. Whereas Family guy uses flashbacks as a poorly placed joke with no significance, BoJack's flashbacks give you a glimpse into his mind and where it all began as well as where it all went wrong. Failed relationships, betrayal and rebirth all find their way into a gut-busting Animated comedy that should not be missed. Expand
  98. Aug 26, 2014
    So, I just finished the first season of BoJack Horseman, and I'm honestly surprised on how much I enjoyed it and how much it made me think.
    For one, this show seemed really really unappealing when I saw it advertised on Netflix, like, it just kind of seemed weird and not something I'd be in to.
    I gave it a chance, at first I just saw it as another comedy with funny little moments, but then as I got farther and farther in, it made me think, think a lot.
    It made me think about who I am and why I act the way I do, this show did a FANTASTIC job of making me think about different things.
    Example: BoJack goes to the store, finds a penguin that has called 'Dibs' on a pack of Muffins, seems kind of stupid and childish, right? Well, it further goes in to some controversial topics, and brings up that sometimes your opinion might be right, but in the end sometimes what's right isn't what's considered correct.
    I have to say, this series has really made me think, and I have no regrets watching it
  99. Aug 26, 2014
    This is not even remotely funny. I only watched the first episode, but if you can't pull in people within the first episode I think that's a problem. For comparison purposes I do enjoy shows that are actually funny and they can have just as ridiculous of a premise as BoJack Horseman. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is one of my favorite shows, but unless it miraculously gets better in episode 2This is not even remotely funny. I only watched the first episode, but if you can't pull in people within the first episode I think that's a problem. For comparison purposes I do enjoy shows that are actually funny and they can have just as ridiculous of a premise as BoJack Horseman. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is one of my favorite shows, but unless it miraculously gets better in episode 2 I'd steer clear. Expand
  100. Aug 26, 2014
    **** all the idiots that think this show isn't funny, if you're looking for something with the visual finesse of rick and morty, combined with the character interactions of arrested development you'll love this show. One of my favourite first seasons of all time, make more.

There are so many background jokes and one-liners and silly animals that the show's emotional depth caught me by surprise.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Genzlinger
    Aug 25, 2014
    Like some of television’s more out-there animated shows, this one is hard to describe beyond broad outlines, because it’s so odd, a combination of droll and naughty that seems improbable but works deliciously.
  3. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Aug 22, 2014
    A strange and somewhat delightful animated comedy.