Bored to Death : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 20, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.9

1. Mar 22, 2013
    Very idiosyncratic. The cast is likeable, particularly Danson, who is always hilarious. While at times unsure in its direction, it always an enjoyable ride. 8.0/10
  2. Aug 2, 2012
    This is a fantastic show. Was. Is. Was. It's been cancelled after 3 seasons and yet Charlie Sheen lives on. It is funny stoner detective 'noir'. Ted Danson just gets better and better with age like a nice red wine or more appropriately an aged beef. Jason Schwartzman and Zach Galifinakis round the trio out and it was my weeks highlight for 30 minutes of easy going laughs. But I guess TVThis is a fantastic show. Was. Is. Was. It's been cancelled after 3 seasons and yet Charlie Sheen lives on. It is funny stoner detective 'noir'. Ted Danson just gets better and better with age like a nice red wine or more appropriately an aged beef. Jason Schwartzman and Zach Galifinakis round the trio out and it was my weeks highlight for 30 minutes of easy going laughs. But I guess TV comedy is only for the 'Big Bang'/ '3 and a Half Men'/' Hot in Cleveland' watchers. The rest of us can go read a book. Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2011
    I basically enjoyed, the 1st season but the writing in the 2nd season became too hip for it's own good. And, by "hip" I mean goofy stoner comedy. I can see why it was canceled.
  4. Oct 25, 2011
    Jason Schwartzman has tapped a gold mine with Bored To Death. Zack Galifinakas(The Hangover), Ted Danson(Becker) provide some of the strongest support to Jason and actor could ask for. The small family dynamic of the three on screen makes this one of the funniest shows on television. The rag tag team go about taking cases and solving often insignificant crimes all the often while onJason Schwartzman has tapped a gold mine with Bored To Death. Zack Galifinakas(The Hangover), Ted Danson(Becker) provide some of the strongest support to Jason and actor could ask for. The small family dynamic of the three on screen makes this one of the funniest shows on television. The rag tag team go about taking cases and solving often insignificant crimes all the often while on pharmaceutical or recreational drugs getting into trouble wherever they go. These cases are a product of Jonathan Aims the lead character who also is the name of the writer/ creator who is suffering writers block on his second novel and sets out to seek inspiration by taking away some of the control in his life. This is one of the great black comedys of the modern day. I rate it 10/10 and is a must see show Expand
  5. Mar 11, 2011
    This show is so funny. I absolutely love it. I find the storyline interesting with hilarious twist. They have such an awesome cast. Jason Schwartzman and Zach Galifianakis are both so funny. Ted Danson is definitely my favorite character.
  6. Feb 9, 2011
    Do you enjoy Wes Anderson movies? do you like film noir? what? you also enjoy low-key humor? Oh, let me introduce Bored To Death to you. You're welcome
  7. Dec 9, 2010
    We are huge Wes Anderson fans, and I think this series would appeal to his audience. It has a similar sense of being slightly stylised, with a subtle, slightly offbeat humour and great characters. My only wish is that the series had more episodes, and we didn't have to wait until autumn 2011 for series 3!
  8. Nov 3, 2010
    This show is just fantastic. I am so happy I gave it a try. The cast is amazing and I can't remember the last show that was as much fun as this one. HBO continues their decent spree of great shows, I hope this show continues to be as great as it has been this season.
  9. Sep 7, 2010
    I came across this show unexpectedly & surprisingly, found this show just, a breath of fresh air . Ted Danson is amazing. I never understood the characters at first but as I watched through Season 1, I began to finally get it. Jason Schwartzman suits the role perfectly & also, add in the comedic talent of Zach Galifianakis & this show is a winner . Overall, other than ABC's Modern Family,I came across this show unexpectedly & surprisingly, found this show just, a breath of fresh air . Ted Danson is amazing. I never understood the characters at first but as I watched through Season 1, I began to finally get it. Jason Schwartzman suits the role perfectly & also, add in the comedic talent of Zach Galifianakis & this show is a winner . Overall, other than ABC's Modern Family, BTD is the best new comedy series worth watching on TV right now. Make no mistake. :) Expand
  10. StephR
    Feb 3, 2010
    An unexpected and accidental find, this show is fantastic. After a few episodes I was hooked and can't wait for season 2. The plots and characters are so strange and funny you're left wondering what is coming next. This is the best new comedy series I have seen in years, I tip my hat to HBO for giving it a chance.
  11. PeteH
    Nov 20, 2009
    I loved it. Got better and better... ended up inspired. Ted Danson is pitch-perfect! Zach is funny as always. Jason is perfect for the role. Great writing and casting. Anyone who loves Wes Anderson-esque humor, or even Curb Your Enthusiasm will likely love this show. I watched all 8 episodes in one day. I can't wait for Season 2!
  12. SamH.
    Nov 16, 2009
    LOVED THE SHOW. I really can't wait for the next season. I'm sure it will capture a certain demographic. Probably people in the early thirty category who are starting a different phase in life. I think more charecters should be added, more exciting private detective stories would make it even more exciting.
  13. JB
    Nov 7, 2009
    My favorite show on TV. Few shows get actually laughing out loud, but this one seems to do it every week without fail. Some of the smartest humor I've ever seen on a show, it's a shame the season was so short.
  14. MichaelH.
    Nov 6, 2009
    Promising show, got off to a slow start. Now they seem to include more of Zach G. and Ted Danson in their latest episodes which are making for more amusing lines. I'll continue to watch it.
  15. BobB.n
    Nov 1, 2009
    Ted Danson, Schwartzman, Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt,enough said. Thus far, highly entertaining show that gets it. Only show worth watching on TV right now.
    Oct 26, 2009
    So clever and funny. It's really personal and smart. The little talks Ted Danson and Jason have are always great, and it gets funnier and funnier each episode. Putting the 3 together on an adventure was amazing.
  17. EmmaT.
    Oct 13, 2009
    Love it so far. It's only going to get better and Jason Schwartzman is amazing.
  18. BrianN
    Oct 12, 2009
    Very witty show, well worth watching. Ted Danson's character seems like a more neurotic version of his Curb persona, but he delivers some of the show's best lines. Schwartzman's staying true to his Wes Anderson roots here and his character's stoner wisdom and puzzlingly needy behavior give the show that needed leg up over the network sitcoms. Good pick here HBO.
  19. DanB
    Oct 5, 2009
    Very original show that actually has interesting characters you can relate to. People say this show is dull and unfunny, but they are probably the type that found Transformers 2 riveting. If you want a great thinking man's comedy then look no further.
  20. yohoho
    Sep 30, 2009
    This show is getting better; lots of promise.
  21. JayP.
    Sep 30, 2009
    Loved it! I hope Bill Murray makes an appearance!
  22. AlexNB
    Sep 28, 2009
    Great new show. Great trio of a cast. Zach Galifianakis is a very funny man and Ted Danson is just the right amount of jokes and philosophical wisdom. Jason Schwartzman takes some time to grow on you but I think the show will ultimately improve. Pilot was good.
  23. MarkT
    Sep 28, 2009
    Seems promising. Caught my attention. I can't wait until text week.
  24. PascalE
    Sep 28, 2009
    I think the fact that opinions seem so polarized over this show are indicators of a growing generational gap. Perhaps younger people - members of "Generation Y " or whatever - will better understand the premise of bored, artistically gifted stoners struggling to find the point in their existence. Ted Danson's character is an especially powerful reminder of the fact that even the rich I think the fact that opinions seem so polarized over this show are indicators of a growing generational gap. Perhaps younger people - members of "Generation Y " or whatever - will better understand the premise of bored, artistically gifted stoners struggling to find the point in their existence. Ted Danson's character is an especially powerful reminder of the fact that even the rich and successful struggle to find meaning in their own lives, just like Schwartzman's and Galifianakis' characters are. And as guest star Kristen Wiig shows in the second episode, this indictment of modern living and its inherent emptiness is not gender-specific. The best way to honestly face it is probably to laugh at it - if you didn't, then you probably just don't get it. Excellent writing, great cast, interesting premise. A must-see, even if you end up being one of those shrugging their shoulders as the credits roll. Expand
  25. DarrellS.
    Sep 27, 2009
    I've watched the first two episodes, and I'm being won over. Very funny stuff when it isn't being mopey. The herpes boxing sequence in the second episode WILL win it new fans.
  26. JeanneD.
    Sep 24, 2009
    Boring.
  27. KaylaV
    Sep 23, 2009
    Jason Schwartzman is funny and uniquely charming as a character who goes out on the edge for a romantic notion that most people would only imagine. While Ted Danson and Zach Galifianakis add an extra hilarious comedic element. The comedy never strays from a humor that we can all relate to. The pilot seems a little dull, but it is just setting the plot. I can invision these quirky and Jason Schwartzman is funny and uniquely charming as a character who goes out on the edge for a romantic notion that most people would only imagine. While Ted Danson and Zach Galifianakis add an extra hilarious comedic element. The comedy never strays from a humor that we can all relate to. The pilot seems a little dull, but it is just setting the plot. I can invision these quirky and neurotic characters becoming more and more lovably hilarious in their own way. Expand
  28. DouglasF.
    Sep 23, 2009
    Terrible writing sinks this show. Lame jokes abound, and the scenes just lay there. I can't imagine this one will be around for long. Worst HBO series since John From Cincinatti.
  29. ChrisM.
    Sep 23, 2009
    The Pilot showed promise. Although it wasn't brilliant, it laid the foundation to what could be a very interesting and quirky series. I like the characters, the premise is solid, and you get the feeling that the show could unfold to become something quite enjoyable. I'm not willing to judge the show as a whole after one episode, but I think it was a decent start.
  30. SallyS.
    Sep 23, 2009
    Fresh, funny and ridiculous. Love it!
  31. TedA.
    Sep 22, 2009
    Dull, decidedly annoying, show. Save the angst for your psychotherapist.
  32. MichaelK.
    Sep 22, 2009
    Awesome show! If you love Jason Schwartzman you'll love this show. It is definitely understated humor along the lines of Wes Anderson or something like that. Great music in the show, and the support of Zach Galifianakis and Ted Danson are hilarious. Definitely check it out.
  33. NicholasM
    Sep 21, 2009
    Promising pilot, let's see it pick up from there
  34. ThelmaS
    Sep 21, 2009
    Network TV masquerading as Cable - only the scenes with Ted Danson are even bearable, but I cringe for him having to be in this dreck. Painfully pedestrian.
  35. AnitaD
    Sep 21, 2009
    I like Jason Schwartzman, but this show bored me, although not to death. I didn't find it funny in situation or dialogue.

HBO sent out three advance episodes of Bored to Death, and by the third one (also the best one) I felt confident that Schwartzman was exactly where he belongs--in Brooklyn, in a cafe, watching, and worrying.
    In the end, it all amounts to pretty much the same thing: a half hour with a self-sabotaging wit. A nice side effect is that both "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and Bored to Death make you feel better about yourself.
    Danson is so typically deft that he makes Christopher's raging egotism and arrested development engaging. Zach Galifianakis gives a similarly nuanced performance as the put-upon best friend of magazine writer and would-be detective Jonathan Ames (Jason Schwatzman). Danson and Galifianakis, however, can't quite make up for the fact that Ames and his various pursuits are juvenile and predictable.