Breaking Bad : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 20, 2008
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.2

1. Oct 24, 2012
    Season 1 of HBO's Breaking Bad is a superbly acted and well crafted prologue to one of television's greatest gems, introducing the viewer to its compelling characters and plot lines while maintaining an addictive tempo.
  2. Jul 22, 2012
    One word: Amazing.
    Every critic that was given to this show is well-deserved and yes, it is getting better from season to season.
    The reason for this is - in my mind - very simple and obvious: Each season builds on the next, so in the end you just have one string of action, which extends more and more. I have to say, I am a huge "House M.D." fan, but this one did become my favorite
    One word: Amazing.

I have to say, I am a huge "House M.D." fan, but this one did become my favorite instantly!
    Season 5 is no exception!
  3. Oct 9, 2012
    A little too dark, a little too humourless, but this first season does a great job of showing a normal man descending into the world of meth production and distribution in a realistic manner. Although I found season one somewhat unenjoyable, it's worth continuing to the later seasons; there is more humour and quirkiness and interesting plot twists to come. This show will eventually becomeA little too dark, a little too humourless, but this first season does a great job of showing a normal man descending into the world of meth production and distribution in a realistic manner. Although I found season one somewhat unenjoyable, it's worth continuing to the later seasons; there is more humour and quirkiness and interesting plot twists to come. This show will eventually become one of the best shows on TV. Expand
  4. Nov 9, 2012
    A short, but sweet taste of a show with a lot of promise. Let's see what they do with it.
  5. helloyou
    Jan 20, 2008
    Awesome show. Perfect balance of drama and comedy and easily relate-able at times. Very much like the movie, Falling Down, but I actually enjoyed this hour long episode more than that movie. I hope it is able to keep it up.
  6. MichaelG.
    Apr 9, 2008
    Very good, a bit derivate of "Weeds" (try summing up the plot in a few sentences and you realize how similar the two really are), but "BB" is somewhat more realistic and definitely more hard-hitting. It really doesn't hold back--and you better have a strong stomach to be able to deal with all the extreme close-ups of Walt's protean suffering. Definitely a keeper for next year, Very good, a bit derivate of "Weeds" (try summing up the plot in a few sentences and you realize how similar the two really are), but "BB" is somewhat more realistic and definitely more hard-hitting. It really doesn't hold back--and you better have a strong stomach to be able to deal with all the extreme close-ups of Walt's protean suffering. Definitely a keeper for next year, if only because the entire first season read like one extended pilot--very slow but ultimately extremely satisfying. Expand
  7. Nov 12, 2012
    If their is one show to demonstrate the power of acting its breaking bad, The pinnacle of television!! Walter White is One of the most fully fledged out characters to ever grace tv.
  8. pkd
    Feb 9, 2012
    This is a delightful show. fantastic story, great characters, wonderful acting, smart action - everything is 100% in place. I'd like to add "it's the best show i've ever seen" etc. etc. but that's a phrase i've been already using too many times...
  9. Nov 14, 2011
    Fantastic acting. Immense writing. Wonderful storyline and the probably the best drama show I've watched for a long time. Glad BB exists. A benchmark for new shows.
  10. Aug 23, 2011
    The shows really deep and meaningful. It's more realistic than half the shows I see on television, which is why I love it. Camera Angles are great, acting superb, writing is tremendously great. best show I've seen in 10 years.
  11. Jun 8, 2014
    Ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Oct 12, 2013
    The Best Show Ever! It´s like a Long Movie, the best movie i saw!!!! Everything is perfect in the minimum details...I Love Breaking Bad!!! Gonna Miss the Show!!!!!
  13. Aug 3, 2013
    Awesome show so far. The acting is great and the plot is so creative and unique. Really well done all around. This show makes you want to keep coming back for more.
  14. Oct 18, 2011
    Without question the best show that has ever been on television. I am so spoiled by this show that everything else seems boring. I have started to grow more impatient with less interesting shows like Dexter, or True blood. Shows that I used to love have been ruined by Breaking Bad.
  15. Oct 8, 2011
    the show is something new and special and all about the characters. a milestone in tv history. sadly not that appreciated as it should be. first season started off perfect!
  16. Nov 13, 2011
    Easily one of the best shows on TV. Very original and Cranston is amazing in this. The one disapointing thing is that there are very few episodes so there isnt enough time to establish any plots or backstories for the future season. Acting is great and its highly addicting to watch.
  17. Sep 18, 2014
    The first season of this dark comedy-drama proves to me that the show has earned all the praise I have watched it receive. With excellent acting, an interesting idea, and unpredictable scenarios, it's one nice slice of compelling TV. It's first 7-episode season is awesome to say the least.

Watching mild-mannered Walter White (Bryan Cranston) turn into a hardcore meth maker is believable and real. The scenarios the show creates are a mix of family drama, outrageously dark and violent scenarios, and a surprising sense of humor. If you haven't watched it yet then I highly recommend you do. This first season is top-notch entertainment, and one of the best shows I streamed on Netflix. I can't wait to dive into season 2. I give season one a near-perfect score of 9.9/10.
  18. Apr 28, 2012
    This is actually my favourite TV show. I found out about it from Netflix and I got hooked. Every episode is interesting and I love the characters. Walt's wife is kind of annoying but aside from that this show is amazing in every way.
  19. Mar 18, 2012
    This is an outstanding Tv-series... highly addicted! All performances, script, music, production will blow you away... Surely the best series I've seen... Five stars *****
  20. Sep 7, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. Genuine Joe Soap turns bad and hits all the inconveniences, heartache and heat that one would. Somewhat slow paced but I consider this something of an advantage of the series (although you might want to watch a box-set of the series possibly a couple of episodes at a time). Yeah science!
  21. May 16, 2014
    My favorite TV series to date. A downfall story told over a period of time with everything in between. An epic downfall with hapy endings not included.
  22. Jul 30, 2013
    I am a huge TV person and well this is one of my all time favorites that is up there with 24 and Lost. The writing is awesome and I really like Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul who really deserve their Emmy's. This is only the first season so it is a little slower than the others but it just gets better and better. The show is about a Chemistry teacher, Walter White (Bryan Cranston) who isI am a huge TV person and well this is one of my all time favorites that is up there with 24 and Lost. The writing is awesome and I really like Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul who really deserve their Emmy's. This is only the first season so it is a little slower than the others but it just gets better and better. The show is about a Chemistry teacher, Walter White (Bryan Cranston) who is diagnosed with lung cancer and turns to cooking meth to helping his families finances. He gets the help of former student Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) who is a drug dealer himself and together they make the high quality meth. Together through good and bad they seem to look out for each other and oddly have a good friendship as the show goes on although it may be hard to see. This TV show is one of the all time greats and I am going to watch the first half of season five again before the next part of it comes out August 11th which will sadly be the last part of this epic series. Expand
  23. Jul 27, 2013
    This is one of the best shows on television and if I'm being biased it is the best. The plot is wonderfully woven and ties LITERALLY everything together, without a single loose end. You'd be amazed at how many characters and occurrences come back to haunt these poor characters. Every action leads to more consequences, and no good deed (or bad) goes unpunished. This show isn't an actionThis is one of the best shows on television and if I'm being biased it is the best. The plot is wonderfully woven and ties LITERALLY everything together, without a single loose end. You'd be amazed at how many characters and occurrences come back to haunt these poor characters. Every action leads to more consequences, and no good deed (or bad) goes unpunished. This show isn't an action adventure, it's a pretty heavy and dark drama, with just enough comedy to not make it depressing. One thing you must know before watching this show though is that it takes its time, you have to let it move along and place some very necessary pieces that (as I mentioned before) will lead to some very interesting and occasionally intense places. However it isn't ever boring, there is always something going on to entertain you or keep your interest. The longer you watch it, the more you will invest into it, the more you invest into it the more you get out of it, and believe me by (at the very latest) season 3 you will start to really get some awesome stuff out of it.

All of this is not even mentioning this how has some of the best casting/acting, surpassing, or at the very least tying, even the likes of Game of Thrones. The character development is top-notch, especially for Walter White who, in case you didn't know SPOILER ALERT: goes from the protagonist to the antagonist. It also has some epic cinematography, and sound-design.

As my favorite show, I of course give it a 10 out of 10.
  24. Oct 1, 2013
    One of the best shows in years, hands down one of my favorites.

Not every episode is a straight 10, but that doesn't matter. The overarching storylines and character development are what drives this show. The ending really doesn't disappoint like so many other shows.

I can't wait for the Saul Goodman spinoff.
  25. Sep 6, 2013
    This is how GOD intended TV to be made!!! This has to be one of the, if not, THE best show ever made!!! An absolute thrilling ride from the very first second!!!!
  26. Dec 27, 2013
    The Greatest show of All Time.. or at least in the top 2 along with The Wire... Bryan, Aaron, and the whole cast give A+++ performance.. Dead Freight or Ozymandias are the two best episodes of the show and both come in the last season. This is a must for anyone with a pulse.
  27. Sep 5, 2014
    very interesting !!!xdrtresteysetrtsre gsesrtrterhfeygstretggretuurruuugbriegeruig eirgieriueutertihuuugnneritie eiirtiieritieirtieiriigereirteiiertuhein ieeteeeerterte eterte
  28. Feb 2, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Next to the Sopranos, the best serialized TV show I have seen. Very different plot, it all works. The boring chemistry teacher discovering his hidden personality. The scenic back drop of New Mexico. Great acting by all the regular characters. The weird, once in a lifetime characters seemingly introduced every episode. The "chicken man" , one of the baddest bad guys in TV history. Every season was good. Every character added something to the plot. It was just a great TV show . Expand
    Jul 18, 2008
    When is doing bad for good actually good? And the questions about futile therapy versus peaceful death were just stunning.
  30. ManolisM
    Feb 24, 2010
    Very good. Nice acting, nice plot. Only con is that it is too slow from time to time.
  31. TristanA.
    Mar 11, 2008
    Some of the best writing I've ever seen on TV. Easily the best action I've ever seen on a TV drama. Critics who complain of a self-conscious edginess or a lack of motivation must not have watched past the first episode (and must have confused uncommon character depth with a lack of character depth). TV's finally getting good at realizing that plots don't have to be Some of the best writing I've ever seen on TV. Easily the best action I've ever seen on a TV drama. Critics who complain of a self-conscious edginess or a lack of motivation must not have watched past the first episode (and must have confused uncommon character depth with a lack of character depth). TV's finally getting good at realizing that plots don't have to be generic and formulaic in order for shows to succeed. Now that they're finallh trying to come up with characters that are unique and deep it seems to have frightened some critics. Oh well. Let them have fun watching Big Love. Breaking Bad is more my speed. Expand
  32. LauraG.
    Mar 15, 2008
    This show is full of compelling characters with a script that grabs the viewer from the outset of every episode. Bryan Cranston's acting is a refreshing change from his weak and powerless character in Malcolm In The Middle. Watching his disillusionment with what is right and wrong as he faces a terminal disease offers an insight into the very soul of humanity that is rarely seen and This show is full of compelling characters with a script that grabs the viewer from the outset of every episode. Bryan Cranston's acting is a refreshing change from his weak and powerless character in Malcolm In The Middle. Watching his disillusionment with what is right and wrong as he faces a terminal disease offers an insight into the very soul of humanity that is rarely seen and can never be forgotten. Expand
  33. KatieY
    Apr 11, 2008
    Breaking Bad is a very innovative television show. It takes a very taboo subject like cooking drugs and it makes it appealing. The characters are very developed and the plot line is very substantial. The amount of drama in Breaking Bad keeps the audience coming back every week, and that cannot be said for a lot of shows.
  34. RobertB.
    Jul 12, 2008
    Best part of this is that they get the chemistry rightas opposed to a lot of crime shows. Great if a little slow paced.
  35. Aug 22, 2010
    Breaking Bad is definitely one of the best shows I've seen on TV. There's nothing quite like it. The story is just superb. It's different than anything else out there - I hope AMC makes more like it.
  36. Aug 18, 2013
    Be warned, once you start watching. You wont be able to stop. This season is very good and is a bit boring at first but then it becomes more interesting.
  37. Sep 10, 2010
    Striking an almost perfect balance between drama and pitch black comedy, Breaking Bad proves to be smart, fiendishly clever entertainment. Sort of like a TV version of Fargo.
  38. Sep 3, 2012
    Without a doubt the best television show ever created. Vince Gilligan and the rest of the breaking bad team are changing TV history with the most dramatic, tense, well acted, and addicting story of the character of Walter White.
  39. Jan 2, 2012
    Amazing show!! This season is great although at times it's a little slow, that's a good thing, this sets the balance and unveils some honesty within this amazing story. I would say this season and season/series 3 are on the same level. They both have some of the craziest episodes yet at times they are slow. But I like it this way. I would say season 2 and 4 are a little bit more consistent.
  40. Sep 29, 2011
    Goddamn. This could be the greatest show on TV. **** it. It is. Nothing else any any other network can parallel the unpredictability and pure genuis that steams from this show. It's thre greatest show since The Wire.
  41. Jan 1, 2014
    The first season of Breaking Bad is good. It carries an interesting set of characters and a pretty fresh plot compared to much of what is on TV in 2009-2013 timeframe. Yet I feel that this show has yet to really take off. All the badassery Breaking Bad flashes doesn't get all the support it needs from other aspects of the show. At times the direction and production come off a bit dry.The first season of Breaking Bad is good. It carries an interesting set of characters and a pretty fresh plot compared to much of what is on TV in 2009-2013 timeframe. Yet I feel that this show has yet to really take off. All the badassery Breaking Bad flashes doesn't get all the support it needs from other aspects of the show. At times the direction and production come off a bit dry. That only leaves room for improvement in future seasons. Having just finished season 1 on Netflix for the first time, I can say I'm hooked and look forward to the following four seasons of what I hear is one of the best on TV in recent years. Expand
  42. Nov 3, 2010
    Without a question this is the best show n TV right now. The first season was without parallel in television. At least in the past few years no show has been this good and original.
  43. Jun 18, 2011
    I cannot decide which show is better, this one, or Mad Men. I am almost convinced that this show is better. The script, acting, directing and basically everything about this show is AMAZING. Sometimes you have to will yourself to make it through, but it is the most rewarding show. I love how Walt always cuts off the crust from his sandwiches now. Whatever happened to that guy he killedI cannot decide which show is better, this one, or Mad Men. I am almost convinced that this show is better. The script, acting, directing and basically everything about this show is AMAZING. Sometimes you have to will yourself to make it through, but it is the most rewarding show. I love how Walt always cuts off the crust from his sandwiches now. Whatever happened to that guy he killed anyways? I cannot wait for the new season! AHHH! Expand
  44. Dec 12, 2012
    An insanely well-written master piece managing to balance everything that a TV-show should have while keeping things unpredictable and fresh over a prolonged amount of episodes. I would go so far as to say that it surpasses House, seeing how it has just the amount of focus on personal dilemma, keeping those inevitable obnoxious characters to a minimal.
  45. Apr 22, 2011
    it's incredibly refreshing and surprising. one of the best TV series I've watched for years. Instead of getting stale after the first season, the show gets better and better. the acting and characters are great. the story has lots of cliff hangers that make it hard to stop watching.
  46. Dec 14, 2010
    the critic reviews are to low that is because this show is not in a mayor network but without a doubt 100 in the top list big thump up for amc and i hope they don't try to strech the show and kill the greatness
  47. Dec 19, 2010
    I started watching this show after I saw 3 seasons of Madmen and 4 seasons of Dexter and thought nothing could be better than those 2 (I haven't watched more than 2 episodes of The Sopranos for the record) but hell I was so wrong, it is just difficult to explain how good Breaking Bad is, so I'll explain how I realized I loved this show; first of all I made a mistake and started watchingI started watching this show after I saw 3 seasons of Madmen and 4 seasons of Dexter and thought nothing could be better than those 2 (I haven't watched more than 2 episodes of The Sopranos for the record) but hell I was so wrong, it is just difficult to explain how good Breaking Bad is, so I'll explain how I realized I loved this show; first of all I made a mistake and started watching season 3 instead of 1 so even when i didn't understand the characters past I got intrigued with they're story, luckily i found out about the mistake after episode 3 and started watching season 1 finally, so i was watching ep 1 thinking I already ruined the season with the spoilers I got from season 3 but after 2 or 3 episodes I just couldn't stop watching, it was the first time i watched a TV show for around 6 hours in a row! so after I finished season 1 and it was like 3 a.m. I started downloading the 2nd season, and that's how i realized how obsessed i was with the show. now I'll talk about the show itself, the setting, the actors performance, the script, the attention to little details and the fact that they're not not afraid of taking risks(unlike season 5's finale of Dexter), make of this the best show I've ever seen in my 20 years of living. Expand
  48. Dec 30, 2010
    With Friday Night Lights, the best show on television at the moment. Pretty nearly as good as The Sopranos, and that's even with Bryan Cranston's character being a dozen times more repressed than Tony. This isn't to say that there haven't been a couple of shockingly bed episodes, such as the one starring a fly in Walter's lab.
  49. Jan 26, 2011
    Very good show, and I love the storyline of Walt and his Meth. I was lead to this show from watching the entire series of The Wire and it left me wanting more from the Drug scene. Mixed with family drama, and real life situations Breaking bad delivers on all aspects of a show that I will continue to watch. It's in my top 5 for sure.
  50. Jan 26, 2011
    Very few shows come along that are as brillantly written as Breaking Bad. The writers have made a charecter who you root for, but know he is gonna get it in the end. The cast is the perfect mix of humor and drama, and the story keeps you on the edge of your seat because you never know what will happen next.
  51. Mar 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, Breaking Bad is worth a perfect score. Maybe you've heard everyone say: "Its the best show on TV"

"Best thing I've ever seen"

"You must see Breaking Bad, because its so good"

Are these statements true, yes. Yes they are! I've been on the edge of my seat from episode 1 to Season 5's Part 1 ending and I cant wait for Part 2 to se the conclusion of the show. I love the darkness of the show, it brings out the worst in people, nothing is black and white its all grey and everything can be rationalized. The two main characters Walter and Jesse are each others opposites. While you think that Walt is a respectable, caring, timid and just a normal man. Looking at him from the outside he might be just those things but his true nature is grim. Jesse on the other hand, at first impression he's a hard gangster and not caring but as the show progress he's the sentimental one and truly not a bad person. So what I guess the show is trying to say in a way is that you should'nt judge people based on appearance. If you have Netflix, season 1-4 is there, watch it today!
  52. Mar 7, 2012
    A great start to a great series. Some really memorable moments here and the beginning of Walt's transformation from "Mr. Chips to Scarface". Probably the weakest season of the show, but that doesn't mean it's not great.
  53. Jul 17, 2012
    Breaking Bad's season 5 opener maintains the high quality that won the series so many devoted fans.. This is gripping, suspenseful television at its finest featuring excellent acting, writing and directing. You have no reason not to watch this show.
  54. Jun 25, 2011
    The best. Cant wait to watch some more. It has something going for it that you wont find in many other TV series. There is a reality there which draws you in. I love it. Well done AMC
  55. Jan 27, 2014
    This is one of the best TV series I have ever watched. Smells top notch quality from bottom to top. Screenwriting, acting, directing... everything is great. Characters are unbelievably well created and crafted. Definitely suggesting to my friends!
  56. Mar 24, 2011
    Cinema quality on a TV show, GOOD Cinema quality. The acting is exquisite, the writing unbelievable, it's astonishing how deep and complete every character is (even the minor ones).
    Do yourself a favor and watch every bit of it if you haven't done it yet.
  57. May 12, 2011
    Why is there such a disconnect on this site between professional 'critics' and real people? If these people are getting paid for their 'expert' opinions, then why is it not refrlective of the wider audience? Sounds like they need a good shake up of their industry because the so called experts are anything but.
  58. Nov 21, 2013
    I love this show. Just watched the finale about a week ago. I can safely say that Breaking Bad is one of the greatest TV shows ever. Great acting, writing... everything is good! I have to admit, first season might seem boring to some, but it will get better, MUCH better!
  59. Jun 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This series is directed very well. And I can say that Bryan Cranston is an brilliant actor. Moreover, Aaron Paul should be respected for his performance. Expand
  60. Jun 29, 2011
    Breaking Bad features absolutely outstanding character development from the get-go. The acting is superb and the show is very realistic and gritty. The plots are usually clever and have great builds, keeping the suspense going often until satisfying pay offs. Breaking Bad isn't afraid to let the story breathe, not rushing into contrived developments but instead letting the story flowBreaking Bad features absolutely outstanding character development from the get-go. The acting is superb and the show is very realistic and gritty. The plots are usually clever and have great builds, keeping the suspense going often until satisfying pay offs. Breaking Bad isn't afraid to let the story breathe, not rushing into contrived developments but instead letting the story flow almost effortlessly. The first season is very well done beginning to end and easily made it one of the best shows on TV. Overall score: 9/10 Expand
  61. Jul 17, 2011
    These people who underrate the show are ridiculous. There's simply only one thing bad about Season One: It's only six episodes. When your left starving for more i guess you can miss rate something.
  62. Jul 18, 2011
    Why isn't everyone in America addicted to this show by now??!? There are still way too many people out there who haven't ever even heard of it. It is by far one of the greatest shows ever to be on television. The acting and the writing are clearly flawless but gotta give recognition to the cinematography (which is also perfect) and the directing. This show is just flat out amazing inWhy isn't everyone in America addicted to this show by now??!? There are still way too many people out there who haven't ever even heard of it. It is by far one of the greatest shows ever to be on television. The acting and the writing are clearly flawless but gotta give recognition to the cinematography (which is also perfect) and the directing. This show is just flat out amazing in every way; I can't ever get enough. Watch it!! Expand
  63. Sep 18, 2012
    One of the best shows ever made. One of the best shows ever made. One of the best shows ever made. One of the best shows ever made. One of the best shows ever made.
  64. Aug 29, 2012
    I have to admit the show is very good. But for some reason I did not get into it. Good thing about the show is, the characters actions are very real. They have motives, reasons and consequences for their actions.
  65. Mar 15, 2012
    In a few words, this show is a 21st-Century Western. So many memorable characters. Sure, there's Walt and Jesse, but Saul, Hank, Gus, Mike, and even Mr. Salamanca are awesome. What I love is how the stakes are raised each episode, hooking you up for the next. It's like, the TV version of crystal meth.
  66. Oct 23, 2011
    This show will keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat like no other. Especially every time it gets toward the end of a season, good lord. It really is the best show I've seen in years personally.
  67. Dec 27, 2012
    One of my favorite shows. Very intricate plot with lots of twists and turns. I love the way the directors combine chemistry with drugs and drugs with the family. Amazing and a must watch.
  68. Jun 9, 2013
    I think the average user-score of this show displays just how good it is, surprisingly the show somehow keeps on getting better and better. If you're looking for one of the best shows out there, breaking Bad should undoubtedly be on the list.
  69. Nov 16, 2011
    Breaking Bad, after watching the Pilot i was hooked. Breaking Bad has great actors, who play awesome characters, in a great story. It is definitly worth the watch if you have not yet I didnt watch season 1 untill season 2 was out and boy was i missing out. :(
  70. Dec 20, 2011
    Definently one of the best new shows on TV with this season however there were so few episodes that it really didnt give the show time to develop the story at all. It also took quite a bit to really get into the show. I still loved it though, Bryan Cranston is untouchable in his role as Walter White. The rest of the cast is solid as well. A must see imo.
  71. Jan 12, 2015
    Very good television beyond belief, it hits you where you're most sensitive and isn't afraid to take a piece out of the viewer by sinking the subject matter to a place very few show's have ever done.
  72. Aug 23, 2013
    AMC's Breaking Bad is a terrific show, that has won an unprecedented number of awards, but it's one that is extremely difficult to get into. The show is centered on High School chemistry teacher, Walter White (Bryan Cranston), who discovers he's dying from cancer. Determined not to leave his family with nothing, White teams up with his former student and local drug dealer, Jesse PinkmanAMC's Breaking Bad is a terrific show, that has won an unprecedented number of awards, but it's one that is extremely difficult to get into. The show is centered on High School chemistry teacher, Walter White (Bryan Cranston), who discovers he's dying from cancer. Determined not to leave his family with nothing, White teams up with his former student and local drug dealer, Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) in an attempt to process and sell crystal meth. Producing the drug isn't the hard part, it's distributing it while staying out of trouble. That's easier said than done, especially when your wife is on your case 24/7, and your brother in-law is a DEA agent.

This show is terrific and worth every second I've spent watching it, but I almost missed out. The pilot episode was not a strong one, in fact, many fans of the show have called it the worst episode of the entire series. If you can make it passed that, the first season isn't much better. The first season is extremely dark and depressing, focusing mainly on Walt's illness and the effect it has on his family. It really wasn't easy to watch, especially if you've like me, and have had family go through the same thing.

The good news is that after the depressing 7 episode first season, the show gets much much better. The network or the producers had to have to seen the same thing that everyone saw and the attention of future episodes is centered around Walt and Jesse's growing business and the problems they have, including nosy family members, the DEA, seedy people looking for a taste, and of course rival dealers and gangs. The show really picks up in the second season and starts to evolve into the award winning crime drama it has become.

Bryan Cranston plays Walt and how good is he? He has won 3 Emmy's, and has been nominated every season the show has been on. The man he plays is so complicated that you really needed the very best actor you could find to play him. Walt White is a mess of emotions, concealed within a strong persona, it's this concealment that also helps to keep his conscience at bay, most of the time.

Jesse Pinkman is played by Aaron Paul who is also very good. Paul himself has been nominated for four Emmy's, winning twice, and will now and forever be required to call people Paul is a very good actor and does a great job playing a character who I find to be extremely annoying. Jesse is always managing to thing up, he's always putting them at risk by saying stupid things and doing stupid things. To be honest with you, I don't care much for the character, but the fact that the character, as opposed to the actor, annoys me, shows how strong his performances is.

Walt's family is also a main stay in the show, his wife Skyler (Anna Gunn), is as strong a housewife as I have ever seen. There is nothing Skyler White won't say and she is often Walt's morale compass, albeit one that is remarkably nosy and unappreciative. His son is played by newcomer R.J. Mitte whose handicapped angle is actually real. Mitte was born with cerebral palsy, which effects his speech and movements. He admits that he over-dramatizes the effects for the show, but he is still handicapped in real life and one hell of an inspirational person. Through it all he has never let anyone tell him he can't do anything and he has been open and upfront about his condition to anyone who has asked him about it. He's really an inspiration kid, who took a handicapped and used it to his advantage.

Finally, Walt's brother-in-law, DEA Agent, Hank Schrader (Dean Norris), brings much needed comic relief to a show that can be hard to watch sometimes. Besides being a great cop, Schrader has a personality that is larger than life. Even in the context of a show, where the cops are the bad guys, you find yourself drawn to Schrader and rooting him on.

Breaking Bad has won a total of 7 Emmy Awards and is one of the highest rated shows in cable history. The show most defiantly fits into the category of addictive television, but unlike it's neighboring show, The Walking Dead. The acting is as believable as it gets and the story just gets better and better every season. If you can make it through the slow and depressing first season, you will find an unbelievable show that may very well be one of the best that cable has ever seen.
  73. Feb 2, 2012
    I love the show but what sucks about this season is that its only 6 episodes long. It doesnt allow much time to develope the characters and it took a while for the show to get really interesting. The acting on the show is good but struggles a little at times through out the season. I still enjoyed the show and its a must watch.
  74. Feb 14, 2012
    One of the best shows I've ever seen on TV! Bryan Cranston is doing a really great acting!, I am so glad i decided to give this show a chance!. Season 3 is one of the best!
  75. Feb 25, 2012
    Simply put the best show i've seen in a long, long time. Nothing on telly grips you like this, could almost say it's as addictive as meth itself ha.
    Bryan Cranston deserves every award available as the very likable but flawed Walter White and Aaron Paul definitely deserves praise as his equally flawed and increasingly complicated Jessie Pinkman. In conclusion, I cannot wait for Season 5!
  76. Mar 5, 2012
    absolutely amazing tv show, the best in years! the acting is fabulous, the script great but i'm mesmerized specially with the cinematography of this piece of art.
  77. Mar 8, 2012
    A masterpiece! Awesome storyline, characters and twists that never fail to amaze! Walt and Jesse are the best duo on TV hands down and the situations and dilemmas they get into are astounding! Watch it now.
  78. Mar 12, 2012
    The best non-comedy show I have ever seen. And in contrast to as good as every other tv show, it gets better and better every season instead of worse.
  79. Mar 13, 2012
    I only recently discovered Breaking Bad and started watching the first couple of episodes on a Saturday night. I realised quickly that this was going to be a very addictive, higly enjoyable series. Top acting, funny situations and a very unpredictable story line that makes is compulsive viewing.

I especially like the way you are dropped in a situation that doesn't make sense, but by using flashbacks the puzzle finally makes sense and gives you an amazing cliffhanger.

I just finished the first season and started on season 2, which looks like it is even better than the first. But what rating do you give a series that was already perfect?
  80. Mar 17, 2012
    I have been watching Breaking Bad since 2 years and i gotta say every season blows my mind every season gets better and better the writing and the characterization is so so top-notch you feel you are on a live wire. The current season just expanded the greatness and visual treat. The season finale was the icing on the cake. Great music, great camera work, great acting hail "BryanI have been watching Breaking Bad since 2 years and i gotta say every season blows my mind every season gets better and better the writing and the characterization is so so top-notch you feel you are on a live wire. The current season just expanded the greatness and visual treat. The season finale was the icing on the cake. Great music, great camera work, great acting hail "Bryan Cranston" Aaron Paul is the best supporting actor in the world. Giancarlo Esposito was great. But the real master of the show is the writing oh my god how did they write such great lines. I mean my respect for Vince Giligan has increased. He's become one of my favorite writers. Overall this the best television show one can offer. I hope the last season comes with fireworks. Expand
  81. Mar 17, 2012
    This show starts off in the first four and a half minutes head and shoulders above anything else on TV now or since, and only ever goes up from there, no shark-jumps, plot reversals, or anything of that nature. Walter White knows the recipe to cook almost 100% pure crystal meth, and Vince Gilligan knows the recipe for an almost 100% perfect television show: six incredibly talented actorsThis show starts off in the first four and a half minutes head and shoulders above anything else on TV now or since, and only ever goes up from there, no shark-jumps, plot reversals, or anything of that nature. Walter White knows the recipe to cook almost 100% pure crystal meth, and Vince Gilligan knows the recipe for an almost 100% perfect television show: six incredibly talented actors and actresses, 8 to 10 tactile and purposeful writers, one visionary cinematographer, and a single, unanimous vision of a small corner of lower-middle class life in Albuquerque that all these people see and follow unerringly to its bleak and deadly end. This transcends television. This is true art. Expand
  82. May 7, 2012
    Definitely my favorite TV show.
    The characters are interesting, likable, and realistic, the action scenes will leave you on the edge of your seat, and the story is one of the best on television. Definitely give the show a chance.
  83. Apr 11, 2012
    Some of the best acting on television. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul do a terrific job of portraying someone who is in a cat and mouse chase for their life. This also has some of the best writing on T.V. Breaking Bad along with the older ABC series Lost are two of the most unpredictable shows i've ever seen. This is a must see for just about anybody
  84. May 25, 2013
    La meilleure serie qu'il m'es était donnée de voir avec The Shield et Dexter les acteurs sont juste parfait la réalisation et l'intrigue parfaitement dosée un must
  85. Aug 22, 2013
    Is there a Show that can remotely compete with Breaking Bad? No... let me spell that out for you: N, O... may I add a reinforcing word before and a few exclamation marks after: HELL NO!!! ...so... there you have it.
  86. Jun 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've marathon watched breaking bad all 5 seasons from beginning to end, in about a month and a half. is it a good tv series? yes. Is it overrated by the media? hell yes. Overall Breaking Bad is a good tv show, but overrated as heck. The positives: Gustavo Fring and the fear, suspense he bought to the show, Walter White(Bryan cranston) was a very likeable and good actor, it had a lot of suspenseful moments. The negatives: Walter White's family (skyler and his son) were so underwhelming and had no impact on the show except was there to be annoying and to be fillers. The ending (and season 5 in general) was very disappointing; they tried to create a grand ending (with the machine gun and the car); but it just didnt work at all.. to be honest I'll be more content with the series ending at season 4 than watching season 5 and being disappointed. I understand this show is in Walter White's perspective, but to not know what happens after he dies is unacceptable. Like what happened to skyler and jess pinkman? To be honest If I was to reccomend the show to someone, I'll say start watching the show when Gustavo was first introduced, and stop watching after his death. Still a solid show tho. 85/100 Expand
  87. Aug 6, 2012
    I can't believe somebody can rate this one under 9. I think this one deserve most of the awards out there for its perfect acting and script writing out there. In Season 5, I can't see the old Walter anymore, character developments are amazing. I don't think we will have to wait a long time for another epic TV Show like this.
  88. Sep 18, 2013
    The show has a slow beginning, but it finds it way mid-season....and never again missteps. Vince Gilligan understands his characters dilemma, his motivations, but he never begs us to sympathize. It's what makes the show addictive.
  89. Jul 27, 2012
    The best TV show I've watched in my life, and possibly will remain so for a long time. The writing is flawless and believable - it feels like you're watching a real story, taking place in reality, not a show. The characters and events progress logically and in proper time. The experience is further enhanced by brilliant, oscar deserving actors. Especially walter white, the main character,The best TV show I've watched in my life, and possibly will remain so for a long time. The writing is flawless and believable - it feels like you're watching a real story, taking place in reality, not a show. The characters and events progress logically and in proper time. The experience is further enhanced by brilliant, oscar deserving actors. Especially walter white, the main character, the man is a genius at acting, he understands emotion and character more than anybody, he moves you with his emotional interpretation of what must walter must be going through. This show is perfect as it redefines and sets a new bar for what TV series can hope to attain, with character development, acting and believability. Collapse
  90. May 30, 2012
    The best show I've seen on TV. For a long time I thought there was nothing that could compare to The Wire, until I started watching Breaking Bad. The dialogue is amazing, the plot never gets boring and always keeps you on your toes. IIt has the best characthers written for TV-series ever.
  91. Jan 21, 2014
    Four months ago the last episode aired and it just occurred to me that I don't want to know what happens to Jesse afterwards; I don't want to know what happens to Skyler White afterwards; I don't want to know what happens to Walter Jr. afterwards. I would be perfectly happy to never see them again. Each character was tossed into the fire and there is nothing left of them but a dried outFour months ago the last episode aired and it just occurred to me that I don't want to know what happens to Jesse afterwards; I don't want to know what happens to Skyler White afterwards; I don't want to know what happens to Walter Jr. afterwards. I would be perfectly happy to never see them again. Each character was tossed into the fire and there is nothing left of them but a dried out husk. Not only is this the best show on television ever made, but it gives new meaning to the word "finality". Expand
  92. Jun 19, 2012
    This is the best show ever!!!! Please don't stop making them! Everyone I talk to cant wait till the next episode including me! They are already too spread out! Awesome show!!! Keep it up!!!
  93. Aug 28, 2012
    Just got the first season on dvd. Stayed up until 7 a.m. watching it and now I'm dead tired but I couldn't tear my eyes away, even from some of the talkative scenes, because this is the best TV show I have seen in . . . well, maybe ever. Bryan Cranston is everything that he is worked up to be and the rest of the cast is awesome too. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely shocked byJust got the first season on dvd. Stayed up until 7 a.m. watching it and now I'm dead tired but I couldn't tear my eyes away, even from some of the talkative scenes, because this is the best TV show I have seen in . . . well, maybe ever. Bryan Cranston is everything that he is worked up to be and the rest of the cast is awesome too. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely shocked by the direction the show turned, and also so satisfied in it. Can't wait to get the next season and supposedly it gets even better. Wow. Watch this show. It won't disappoint, not even for a second. Expand
  94. Aug 12, 2012
    The best show on AMC by far, ( I still love ya Walking Dead, and Hell on Wheels), but hell! It's the best show on TV PERIOD! And it's sad, but expected sense these shows can't last forever (looking at Dexter), that it's ending soon. :(
  95. Jun 24, 2013
    "Better call Saul!"

This show is the epitome of an anti-hero story in a recession era society.
    Watch if you have a brain or enjoy good t.v. drama.

Don't forget, they aren't rocks.. they are 'minerals'.
  96. Jul 16, 2012
    looking back at this season having watched four seasons and this is just a teaser of all of the amazing things to come...this is the weakest season of this show and that is sad because it is still better than 95% of the other crap that is on tv.
  97. Jul 16, 2012
    I don't know how this only has a 74 rating. Best show on Tv hands down. One of, if not the the best show to ever grace television. The acting is fantastic, not just Bryan Cranston, the whole cast is wonderful. Give this wonderful show a chance
  98. Aug 27, 2012
    A true masterpiece and a brilliant performance from Bryan Cranston, not to forget Aaron Paul and Jonathan Banks . Not a coincidence that many people that weren't used to watch tv series do not miss an episode of this show. The only thing that bothers me is that an Emmy or a Golden Globe, do not have the glamour of an Oscar (copying from wikipedia "The series has won four Emmy Awards
  99. Sep 9, 2012
    One of the best shows on television. Outstanding cast, high value production especially in terms of its use of sound and music. My favorite cast member is Dean Norris who plays DEA Agent Hank Schrader. Watch this guy closely. He's a real talent. I'm retired combat arms military and know from experience that he really nails the mindset of the warrior class. He conveys more just using hisOne of the best shows on television. Outstanding cast, high value production especially in terms of its use of sound and music. My favorite cast member is Dean Norris who plays DEA Agent Hank Schrader. Watch this guy closely. He's a real talent. I'm retired combat arms military and know from experience that he really nails the mindset of the warrior class. He conveys more just using his eyes than many actors do using their entire bodies. So I looked up his BIO on the BB website and saw that he had graduated with honors from Harvard and also attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London. Ironic considering that type background is exactly the opposite of his character's 'type'.
    The show does occasionally drift off into artistic excess, witness the ridiculous episode in Season 3 about the fly in the lab. I'm sure some self absorbed Yuppie writer felt that this was a serious exposition on 'Moby Dick'. But it was essentially filler. The characters infuriate and frustrate, but that is an accurate depiction of what real life can be. Very well done show.
  100. Sep 9, 2012
    Well paced and some great plot twists make this show the one of the best currently running. The constantly changing character development of Walter complimented by the deep characteristics shown in Jesse make this show interesting to almost anyone

The show, so far, doesn’t have quite the right ingredients--it could use something more combustible in the mix.
  2. Breaking Bad mixes desperation and deviousness to yield a volatile, valuable product.
  3. Give Gilligan credit for a pilot, written mostly as one long flashback, that is suspenseful and surprising. Cranston is always fun to watch and Bad is no exception. What's more, a strong supporting cast suggests there is a lot of room for this series to grow.