Californication : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Aug 13, 2007
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.5

1. Jan 27, 2011
    The TV show Californication, starred by the actor David Duchovny, who, by the way, also played in the X-files, plays the protagonist Hank Moody. Almost more than half of the time for each episode the Tv-Show is centered around Hank Moody, and from the critical aesthetic point of view this actually parallels with Hank's apparent narcissism...ok....maybe I went a little too far with that,The TV show Californication, starred by the actor David Duchovny, who, by the way, also played in the X-files, plays the protagonist Hank Moody. Almost more than half of the time for each episode the Tv-Show is centered around Hank Moody, and from the critical aesthetic point of view this actually parallels with Hank's apparent narcissism...ok....maybe I went a little too far with that, because Hank really isn't much of a narcissist but a father who cares for his child named Becka. Now, I am not one of those conservative traditionalists who underrate this film because it goes against "family values" or "christian values", because to be quite honest, I like this tv show. I like Hank Moody, his friends, and his family (well, I kind of have difficulty liking Becka), but the problem is that while Hank Moody's irresponsible, immature, uncouth, promiscuous, arrogant, mischievous, humorous, outspoken and charming behaviors makes him the most interesting character among all others, the amusement eventually wears out. He is a successful novelist whose having a writer's block, for almost 4 seasons, and never managed to write a single book that marked his accomplishment. Well, I must admit that he did write the book which the sociopath stoled from him, so I'll make an exception here, but other than that he's very ADHD-ish, is very distracted by the external sensuous desires around him, rendering him into the most hilarious yet redundant hedonist. It's redundant because while after he worked very hard to get back with his wife and daughter, since after the divorce, he still cheats on her by sleeping around with other attractive women. He practically does the same thing over and over again: gets drunk, gets high, womanizing, and insulting people. Now I have no problems with these behaviors in TV in general, but I do have a problem when that's that's all there is to show. Hank Moody may seem creative verbally, but his lifestyle only shows the lack of it. There's something about this T.V. show that's really missing...what is it again? Aha! It's purpose! That's Right! I almost forgot! House, Monk, Pickard, Angel, Buffy, Jack O'Niel, and other characters from other popular T.V. shows always have some kind of purpose, they always end up accomplishing something, and they resolve many problems. But Hank, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. Very distracted (other characters are focused), very irresponsible (other characters feel responsible). There's just no purpose to this show anymore, it's simply a sheer hedonist sticking his thing where sometimes it doesn't belong. He keeps getting into trouble, making mistakes, and making a fool out of himself. Maybe that's the whole point of the T.V. show, to subvert the norms of Television shows, and to some extent I admire that and I understand that, it's kind of rebellious and individualistic, but the amusement runs out fast. Occasionally, Moody should be shown to be successful character, to express his ingenious side with writing, but somehow rarely any of that happens. I don't hate the character Hank Moody, I kind of like his personality, but I don't like how his character plays the primary role to shape the story such that it renders the story nonsensical and meaningless. There should be other characters to balance him out, there should be a greater tension, but nonetheless Hank continues to make the story less interesting by his repetitive behavior in different circumstances. I want to conclude that despite the fact that Californiacation is a unique tv series, since it seems to deviate from the norms of television, in that the character seems to be some-what of an anti-hero, who behaves nonsensically, I give it credit for that. I give Californication credit for being unique in its own right, but for me this isn't enough to make it a great T.V. show. The character House may seem relaxed, easy going, arrogant, and occasionally irresponsible, but he is also a great achiever in many things. Hank, on the other hand, is simply a novelist experiencing a permanent writer's block, and never resolves this problem but only let himself become distracted by amusing yet repetitive behavior. Expand
  2. SeanJ.
    Jan 27, 2008
    It was funny at first, but it got old and outrageous fast. Hank wins in the end, but it was a contrived cliche. Straight out of "The Graduate". Mia and Dani trying to pose as latter day neo-feminists when they just manipulative witches using sex as a weapon - it made me want to puke. And its constant baby boomer ego stroking, I wanted to hit the screen. The only thing rewarding was David It was funny at first, but it got old and outrageous fast. Hank wins in the end, but it was a contrived cliche. Straight out of "The Graduate". Mia and Dani trying to pose as latter day neo-feminists when they just manipulative witches using sex as a weapon - it made me want to puke. And its constant baby boomer ego stroking, I wanted to hit the screen. The only thing rewarding was David Duchovny's performance - he held up an often flagging screenplay. Collapse
  3. Natalieo
    Oct 8, 2007
    I simply cant identify with this show at all
  4. KenG
    Nov 19, 2007
    This show very much wants to have it both ways. It wants to be edgy, and I think it flatters itself that it is edgy, but it also wants to be as family value correct as it can be, while it's being edgy. Thus you have this awkward combination of edginess, cliche, and predictability. I like Duchovny's character, but too often it feels like show is just plugging in cliches, and This show very much wants to have it both ways. It wants to be edgy, and I think it flatters itself that it is edgy, but it also wants to be as family value correct as it can be, while it's being edgy. Thus you have this awkward combination of edginess, cliche, and predictability. I like Duchovny's character, but too often it feels like show is just plugging in cliches, and ultimately, it will steer into the proper family cliche (to top of the edginess) almost every time. Expand
  5. PaulA.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Showtime marred a good script and a great cast with too much exploitation. The subject matter rides an intriguing line, but the show tries too hard. I will watch one more time, but the powers that be need to stop taking advantage of their talent and use it like adults.
  6. sfegan
    Nov 12, 2007
    this series started off great but the plot has gone lame. More sex in the first episode than all the rest put together. The series goes sentimental pretty quick and not funny anymore - bit like sex and the city went near the end. The sex becomes gratiously weird like the stuff you find on the net. did they change writers half way thru? great shame.
  7. Jan 16, 2015
    A comedy drama this first season of Californication wasn't without its issues. While it does get it right in places a number of scenes lack any kind subtlety, almost trying too hard to sell the emotional aspect of proceedings and too much time is taken up by sex scenes that add little to the story-line.

The show can however be very funny in places and David Duchovny's excellent central performance pretty quickly made me forgot he ever played such a well known character as Fox Mulder. By the seasons end I'd just about enjoyed the show enough to come back for season two.
  8. Oct 9, 2013
    I watched this show for almost a whole season before it dawned on me Why am I watching this show? It's about a moderately successful writer played by the aging David Duchovny, who sleeps with every woman he sees. Women of all ages 16+, all of whom are extremely attractive, and will never sleep with you. After a while, I got so jealous I just couldn't take it anymore. The show doesn'tI watched this show for almost a whole season before it dawned on me Why am I watching this show? It's about a moderately successful writer played by the aging David Duchovny, who sleeps with every woman he sees. Women of all ages 16+, all of whom are extremely attractive, and will never sleep with you. After a while, I got so jealous I just couldn't take it anymore. The show doesn't really have any other purpose other than David getting laid. It's not a horrible show, it's got a lot of breasts and attractive women, but it's pretty offensive and pointless so, not for me. Expand

Californication--the best new TV show in a year.
  2. Californication can be unabashedly self-centered, judgmental and off-putting, but it is redeemed by occasional hilarious moments, an appealing father-daughter relationship and Duchovny's skillful creation of a charismatic boor.
  3. Dark comedy suits insouciant Duchovny.... Here he delivers a tousled sort of aw-shucks Huck Finn, lighting out for erotic territories. McElhone, à la Rene Russo, manages to convey the notion of adult womanhood without being either drippy or schoolmarmish about it.