Crisis : Season 1

• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 16, 2014
7.0

1. Nov 5, 2014
    This show was pretty good, but I think about halfway through the show started to go in a direction that lost some of it's viewers. In the beginning it was awesome because the guy was always one step ahead and knew what they were planning. Then after awhile it kind of tapered off so I think that's when the show started to go downhill. It's still a overall good TV show, but nothing fantastic.
  2. Jul 12, 2014
    Crisis is ultimately bad in every aspect.
    Crisis is ultimately bad in every aspect.
    The worst of all is that it's the type of series that one doesn't take seriously but has fun; Crisis, however, takes itself so serious that it becomes hilarious. Dermot Mulroney is pathetic as the super-smart villain-who-became-hero and everything gets so unbelievable by the mid-end that you keep wondering why you still watch this. I'd probably should be reading a book or spending some quality time. Whatever that means.
  3. Jun 24, 2014
    "Crisis" was the worst show I have ever seen. NBC owes me the hours I wasted watching this show. The thought of having another seasons is an absurdity but logical for the low rated NBC station. Viewers want to see the good guy win WEEKLY. The bad guys won every week. By the last half hour there is nothing that could be done to the criminals to make up for their success throughout the"Crisis" was the worst show I have ever seen. NBC owes me the hours I wasted watching this show. The thought of having another seasons is an absurdity but logical for the low rated NBC station. Viewers want to see the good guy win WEEKLY. The bad guys won every week. By the last half hour there is nothing that could be done to the criminals to make up for their success throughout the show. Fox "24" knows how to keep the audience interested in the show. They want wins!!!! This allows suspense and the curiosity of how the good guy will win the next week. Crisis left me flat and not caring. The only reason I continued watching - was the good shows being off for summer hiatus. If this show was on during prime season I wouldn't give it a second look.
    I was not only left flat at the finale - I have no understanding of WHAT WAS THE REASON he designed this entire kidnapping scheme? I think it was to get his family back together. Give me a break! For all the money he spent on this fiasco he could have wined and dined his wife throughout Europe.
  4. Jun 23, 2014
    In the beginning, the show didn't have much to distinguish itself from other TV shows with similar premises. The pilot episode wasn't too original (a school bus is hijacked and the students kidnapped/held hostage), and the shows name is forgettable (another TV show with a one-word name).

By episode 9 though, Crisis had really improved. The pilot was OK, but the later episodes were really great (especially episode 8). This show is really great, entertaining, and enjoyable. The cast have been put through challenges; decisions, moral dilemmas, and crisis’s (get my pun?). All of these have made the cast more relatable and interesting characters. Once one-dimensional characters have been fleshed out well. The teenagers, Agent Finley and Dunn, Gibson and his crew, the CIA, FBI, Secret Service, the parents—the whole cast, for the most part were good. Agent Finley and Dunn were especially good. The scale and impact of all the events have made this show more global in scale. Everything came together and wrapped up in the last episodes. I recommend this show. There were some plotholes and some mistakes, but that can be forgiven.

Some feel the first few episodes were good. Most of the critics feel this way too, which surprises me because I feel that the first few episodes were OK. Nothing special. Later, the plot got better and it was clear that this was more than just a kidnapping.

Unfortunately, on May 9th Crisis was canceled. However, on May 25th the 9th episode aired. The last few episodes aired and thankfully it gave me closure.

Crisis aired with low ratings. I guess that was because it’s on Sunday. On Sunday, there’s a lot of completion. Why did they have to air it on a Sunday, with so much competition to face? If it had been on another day, it would’ve done better. Also, I think too many people gave up on this show because based on the first episode they thought it wasn’t unique enough and too generic. (Oh no! Kids get kidnapped, now what? They get saved and bad guys lose. The end!) NBC should re-launch the show later, and maybe gain a wider audience during the summer.

The premise, "How far would you be willing to go for your child?" sounded promising and the potential was certainly there. The potential was certainly been used. The villain is more complex than most, and the cast is good. Some of the dialogue in earlier episodes was cheesy, but that has improved. The show wasn't special at first, or really really great, but it could kill an hour of time so I was fine with it. Now, the show is truly entertaining in my opinion.

I just wish there could be a season two. Maybe with a new “Crisis”—a terrorist attack, with Finley and Dunn there? I’d love to see that!

If you liked this review, read my other ones on movies, TV shows, and videogames. I have reviewed Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, Blended, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, The Lego Movie, and more. I am actually still trying to find time for other film reviews. I have also reviewed the TV shows Sleepy Hollow, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, The 100, I Wanna Marry Harry, Crisis, and more.

Goodbye! AG732
  5. Jun 22, 2014
    I have to say the 2 hour ending was amazing!! It made me want to see so much more. Especially with sending that last text. I wanna know what it is!! and What it leads too. C'mon Season 2!! PLEASE!
  6. Apr 30, 2014
    I wasn't expecting much going into this, but I needed something new to watch and I'm glad I stumbled upon Crisis as it's really pretty good.

The acting is pretty solid from top to bottom, and the story is interesting, this leaves me wanting more after each episode. Saying that I'm not sure how they're going to keep the current storyline going for more than a season.
  7. Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. CRISIS may have a familiar plot but what is interesting and exciting is the well written subplots on top of subplots that leave endless possibilities for season's to come with a sprinkle of surprise at almost every turn of the page. Strong, Emmy worthy performances with that of Gillian Anderson (Meg) and Dermot Mulroney and the quad relationships surrounding the main four - Anderson, Mulroney, Taylor and Gross, CRISIS rolls out each week like a spider web and you will never guess how far it will reach. Each episode is like a four ring circus where you want to catch everything all at once and at the same time your eyes get caught up in something you did not expect! An example, the sensitive & intimate scenes with Gillian Anderson (Meg) and her CIA lover, meshed perfectly into a sub plot, that leads to Episode 8 on May 4th. This one is a keeper and the first time I have followed any TV show on ANY network! I want to see this go Netflix before Season 2! Chicago Fire, Resurrection, the Blacklist are the same old, same old stuff that lacks the creativity of something that's akin to "Art in Motion" with respect to just plain good writing and strong performances. Those who can think for themselves and have a good attention span can truly appreciate something really good by watching CRISIS! Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2014
    In terms of crime drama, it's different. That's its strong point.

However, some of the smaller plots are derivative of well-worn tropes. I hope it makes it to Season 2 at least, but I can't see how the fundamental plot can survive for very long.
  9. Apr 1, 2014
    Holy crap. I don't think I've ever seen a show go downhill so significantly in such a short amount of time. I mean, it's common for shows to fizzle after a première but damn, did this show go into the gutter awfully quick.

First of all, the pilot was very imperfect but it held my attention, even though it relied mostly on trickery. Despite some awful dialogue and a plot that would probably wear thin over time, I thought that I'd still kinda dig this series. Boy, was I wrong.

The next two episodes are a snorefest and seem to work as padding. There comes a point when you can't take the bad dialogue and bland characters. That moment came sooner to me than I expected it to. I just don't care at all what happens next.

I mean, what will happen next? Gee, I don't know, a parent will do something stupid and then never make a significant contribution to the plot again? This is the type of concept that simply doesn't work for TV. It plays out like an action movie a bit too much, and the writers are given no choice but to give us uninteresting plots to stall until the climax.

Hell, I can take the fact that I don't give a sh*t about anyone in an action movie. But with an inexcusably terrible script, boring stories that are similar to one and other, and surprises that rely on nothing but cheap plot twists, you've got a show that's generally worthless. I usually like to wait a bit longer before I dismiss a show, but I don't think I can stand another minute.
  10. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers. I wanted to like this show, and enjoyed the 1st episode. But it races straight downhill from there, with more stumbles than the Sochi giant slalom. The show combines the worst elements of a number of better shows like 24, Person of Interest, etc., minus the more knowing, tongue-in-cheek over-the-top'ness of such series. Wow, the villains have an all-powerful computer system set up somewhere magically untraceable that can hack every gov't system instantly, and tap into the White House phone system at will. A sequence of high-powered parents will do the bidding without hesitation of the voice on the phone without any of them even considering trying to clue in law enforcement. The general reveals the true whereabouts of a secret video by phone, even though the kidnapper would have no way of confirming if he'd lied. The FBI & Secret Service together don't think to round up or tail all of the parents, even after 4 of them have received calls and done the kidnappers' bidding. It rapidly gets cringe-inducingly stupid. Three episodes was two too many to bother with already, I'm done. Collapse
  11. Mar 26, 2014
    Where to begin. I just had the misfortune of sitting through a second episode of this nonsense and it will be the last. It is ridiculous, every scene has some glaring aspect that makes no sense and would never happen in the real world. Throw is some terrible overacting and a story that will drag on for months with im guessing no pay off and you have one of the worst new shows in livingWhere to begin. I just had the misfortune of sitting through a second episode of this nonsense and it will be the last. It is ridiculous, every scene has some glaring aspect that makes no sense and would never happen in the real world. Throw is some terrible overacting and a story that will drag on for months with im guessing no pay off and you have one of the worst new shows in living memory, staring into space would be more productive than this. Avoid Expand
  12. Mar 25, 2014
    Oh, no! Another kidnapped school bus full of kids. I've lost count. Isn't that the opening of three or four series so far? At any rate, the pilot of "Crisis" was extremely well set and produced. Reasonably good suspense. Some (and only some) interesting characters. Many, many stereotypes. It held my attention but my mind kept repeating over and over, "This whole concept isOh, no! Another kidnapped school bus full of kids. I've lost count. Isn't that the opening of three or four series so far? At any rate, the pilot of "Crisis" was extremely well set and produced. Reasonably good suspense. Some (and only some) interesting characters. Many, many stereotypes. It held my attention but my mind kept repeating over and over, "This whole concept is ridiculous." And it is. I will stick around to see what happens but I suspect I will bail out about as soon as I did on "Hostages". Expand
  13. Mar 22, 2014
    10/10 This is a very high quality TV series and has a lot of content that can be added to it. Despite some critics arguing that it will be impossible to make it multi-season. In my opinion all the script writers have to do is create a new plot each season. Season 1 will be about the hostage crisis and Season 2 could be something else inter-related. I REALLY enjoyed watching the Pilot and10/10 This is a very high quality TV series and has a lot of content that can be added to it. Despite some critics arguing that it will be impossible to make it multi-season. In my opinion all the script writers have to do is create a new plot each season. Season 1 will be about the hostage crisis and Season 2 could be something else inter-related. I REALLY enjoyed watching the Pilot and enjoyed how different it was from cheesy TV series such has NCIS and action- packed but otherwise lacking Hawaii Five 0. This is the ultimate police police mystery drama being played today. Others include another NBC start up series Chicago P.D. but I find Chicago P.D. heavily lacking in plot. It seems like the plot is never going to be advanced because of how seemly unrelated each episode is. Crisis is an awesome and mind blowing TV series that SHOULD be renewed for a second season. Expand
  14. Mar 21, 2014
    The pilot for Crisis was great. Reminded me of 2012's "Missing" with Ashley Judd.
    Intense, action packed, suspenseful, almost like the movie "White House Down" with Jaime Foxx and Channing Tatum. Characters were likable, bad guys were intelligent, it was fast paced, intense, almost like an episode of 24. Great start to a potentially great show. Lets see where it goes!
  15. Mar 17, 2014
    This is pretty much the Die Hard storyline based on the first episode. A group of people are hostages. The star even killed one of the bad guy's brother and took his machine gun.
  16. Mar 17, 2014
    Not bad for a premiere. Despite 2 or 3 cornball moments and an overuse of pop songs on the soundtrack, the pilot kept me engaged thanks to some interesting twists and turns. Variable acting and script-writing, however, make me wonder whether I'll retain my interest....
  17. Mar 17, 2014
    I really don't see how the show 'Crisis' is going to translate into a multi season vehicle for NBC. The premise has already failed multiple times in past years. The only thing that makes this different -- this time the hostages are kids. Think 80's, think 'Toy Soldiers' and you got it. Kids trapped in a building and someone is trying to get them out. Wow, wonder how this will end?I really don't see how the show 'Crisis' is going to translate into a multi season vehicle for NBC. The premise has already failed multiple times in past years. The only thing that makes this different -- this time the hostages are kids. Think 80's, think 'Toy Soldiers' and you got it. Kids trapped in a building and someone is trying to get them out. Wow, wonder how this will end? Umm they get saved? The pilot ended with me having no hint of a connection to the characters. I don't even feel the kids are in any real danger. There were attempts to have contrived "moments" that would make me care, didn't work, I don't. The dialogue seems better fitted for a student film or B movie. One line zingers, minus the zing and the typical CSI styled fill in the blank commentary that accompanies most action/dramas that are on air today. Lance Gross tried his best to channel his inner John Mcclane but I'd rather just watch Die Hard on blue ray. As hard as it is to get a break in the industry today, this project made it to my screen? Just wow! Either NBC is saying they just don't care, or some of the higher ups in those nice comfy offices need to play musical chairs...because this show really sucks. Don't get too excited about the initial ratings, they will drop off significantly if what you aired tonight is all you have in store. 'Crisis' gets two thumbs down and a series cancel on my DVR. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kristi Turnquist
    Jun 24, 2014
    Based on the first two episodes available for screening, Crisis is more promising than other recent network attempts to create a series that tells an ongoing story.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    A little over the top--well, actually, a lot over the top--the pilot is filled with one eye-rolling surprise after another.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Molloy
    Mar 19, 2014
    The show does a good job of setting up a lot of conflict in a very short time, but I'd be more invested if I got to know the characters more — and if they had more dimension..... It felt too contrived.