8.5

1. Dec 14, 2010
    Mesmerizing and simply perfect. The two leads Glenn Close and young Rose Byrne are the reason this show is so great. The non-linear narrative and the plot twists are cherry on the top. The best part, and the real reason why this show is so good is the reality this show is presented. Its scandalous and "trashy", thrilling and exiting all in the same time without using the "scandalous CWMesmerizing and simply perfect. The two leads Glenn Close and young Rose Byrne are the reason this show is so great. The non-linear narrative and the plot twists are cherry on the top. The best part, and the real reason why this show is so good is the reality this show is presented. Its scandalous and "trashy", thrilling and exiting all in the same time without using the "scandalous CW factor" (young sexy actors, sex and drugs, hot places and luxury) with only the strong acting ability of the cast. The show is not for everyone because its narrative is sometimes confusing and pointless if you don't pay attention, but that's not the reason this show isn't one of the best... Collapse
  2. Aug 7, 2011
    Great casting, acting and writing. Damages is smart, suspenseful and never fails to surprise. Television at its finest, has me hooked! Glenn Close and Rose Byrne provide strong leads. Even side characters seem fully developed as the show rarely introduces a new character without purpose. A great legal thriller where no one can be fully trusted.
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    This is an excellent series, though confusing at times with flash forwards as well as flashbacks. Glenn Close is superb as Patty Hewes, the focus of the show. The show focuses on the interplay of Hewes and her young protege Parsons. The personalities of these two and how they interact is at the core of the action focus of the show. Hewes is a cold, logical, realistic, cunning andThis is an excellent series, though confusing at times with flash forwards as well as flashbacks. Glenn Close is superb as Patty Hewes, the focus of the show. The show focuses on the interplay of Hewes and her young protege Parsons. The personalities of these two and how they interact is at the core of the action focus of the show. Hewes is a cold, logical, realistic, cunning and intelligent person whose focus is on achieving power and success at the cost of emotional relationships with others. Parsons admires Hewes and wants to emulate her success, but Parsons is more "normal" meaning emotionally involved with others and love relationships. Parsons tries to have it both ways, combining work success with love of others, but her failure in work is due to her emotion just as Hewes' success is due to her emotionless objectivity. The action is enough to attract the usual viewer, while the psychological aspects of the personalities are an added bonus for the viewer who can appreciate this. Expand
  4. Mar 20, 2011
    Except for a couple of the tertiary characters, most of the performances are contrived. Many of the plot elements seem pointlessly oblique. I grew tired of being teased after 2 episodes when nothing seemed to be moving forward.

Glenn Close's character seems bi-polar and not particularly believable. Ted Danson was ok. Many of the other main characters are just too cute. The graphic

The graphic violence and drug use don't do anything to drive the story forward and in my opinion are a cop-out for the writers. I get that Patty (the main character) is slimy-- you don't have to murder a dog to make me believe that.
  5. Sep 10, 2011
    This is a great show. I have no idea why it was relegated to whatever network it's on now, but I guess they can go a little further with the sex and language now. Kind of puts it in the HBO or Showtime realm. It is creatively directed and very well acted. Those that write bad reviews clearly just don't get it.
  6. Jun 28, 2011
    Wow this show is overrated by dorks who don't get HBO or SHO. This is horribly derivative of The Devil's Advocate (entire scenes, small ones, but entire scenes are ripped off) and The Firm (the book more than the TomThetan abortion). It's still engrossing, but telegraphs deceit, etc way too far in advance. There have been dozens of movies and even a few tv shows that did the "playingWow this show is overrated by dorks who don't get HBO or SHO. This is horribly derivative of The Devil's Advocate (entire scenes, small ones, but entire scenes are ripped off) and The Firm (the book more than the TomThetan abortion). It's still engrossing, but telegraphs deceit, etc way too far in advance. There have been dozens of movies and even a few tv shows that did the "playing from ahead" conceit much better. Also, Glen Close's character is so far out there, it becomes less "love to hate" and more "how the ... is this remotely realistic?" Another crappy wanna be premium channel show from FX. Great job fox! Expand
  7. Sep 18, 2012
    The show is great, watch it...........................................................................................................................
  8. Sep 18, 2011
    This show is genius. Each character equally deep and complex...and the plot just keeps getting better. I have a really hard time enjoying other dramatic tv shows as a result.
  9. Jan 21, 2012
    The best thing about this series is the story-telling method in which a small piece of the future is revealed at the beginning, and the rest of the season is spent doling out details in bits and pieces. Each episode leaves the viewer with a cliff-hanger ending ensuring your addiction. The cast is great; excellent acting values all around. The director's hand is invisible, and the writingThe best thing about this series is the story-telling method in which a small piece of the future is revealed at the beginning, and the rest of the season is spent doling out details in bits and pieces. Each episode leaves the viewer with a cliff-hanger ending ensuring your addiction. The cast is great; excellent acting values all around. The director's hand is invisible, and the writing is good. This show loses a few points for select weak moments at the hands of the lighting, hair, and costume design departments. From time to time interior and exterior lighting angles don't match creating that "something is not quite right but I can't put my finger on it" feeling. Hair and clothing are 95% right on with that occasional "my grandmother helped me with this" choice thrown in just to keep the viewer guessing. Big points lost for Zeljko Ivanek's horrible southern accent. Expand
  10. Feb 5, 2012
    Given the cast, i expected acting at least. This series is so thin, and depends on so many tricks, it's maddening. Maybe just the frustration has kept me watching. Characters seesaw from naive to hard as nails and so far, the actors have a hard time knitting those extremes into believable characters. I imagine them saying "how am I going to get into this" and then giving up and justGiven the cast, i expected acting at least. This series is so thin, and depends on so many tricks, it's maddening. Maybe just the frustration has kept me watching. Characters seesaw from naive to hard as nails and so far, the actors have a hard time knitting those extremes into believable characters. I imagine them saying "how am I going to get into this" and then giving up and just reading the lines. The plot twists, bizarre as they are, get predictable because they repeat initial plot patterns. Disappointing. Expand
  11. Jul 12, 2012
    Oh my where do I begin! This show is one of the best TV shows ever created. Amazing acting, brilliant writing and the directing and editing is very cinematic. This season was flawless and the pilot was the best hour of television I have seen in years. Let me mention that Glenn Close, the lead of this series is a legend and a phenomenal actress. She really makes the show what it is and isOh my where do I begin! This show is one of the best TV shows ever created. Amazing acting, brilliant writing and the directing and editing is very cinematic. This season was flawless and the pilot was the best hour of television I have seen in years. Let me mention that Glenn Close, the lead of this series is a legend and a phenomenal actress. She really makes the show what it is and is supported by the best cast of actors working today. The show really showed a genre we have never seen on television before, and it is called a legal thriller. We have read Grisham novels and similar books but we have never seen it on tv. You are in for a very satisfying ride! Expand
  12. Aug 9, 2012
    Glenn Close at her best. The rest of the cast is equally good, Rose Byrne is perfect for this role. One of the best show ever. Watch it! Watch it! Watch it!
  13. Nov 14, 2012
    now that I have watched the first three seasons I can say that this has to be one of the best acted shows out there. I am not a big fan of flashbacks but this show directors and writers have made flashback an art. Koodos to both lead women for carrying this show to the heights.
  14. Jun 26, 2013
    I'm into season 3 but don't know if I want to continue. The constant Six Months Earlier and Six Months Later leaves me too confused, disconnected. Trying to follow the events has become a chore. Too bad because it's a sophisticated crime drama.
  15. Oct 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can't really judge a show till it's over. This, along with the Sopranos are the finest examples of shows that would have rated very high were it not for the awful finales. But where the writers for the sopranos simply failed to do their job, these writers failed to do it well. Nothing bothers me more than plot holes and unfortunately the finale was riddled with them. The most outrageous of them being Patrick Scully, a man willing to testify in court for immunity in a weak case for attemted murder, doesn't hesitate to put himself in an open and shut case of second degree murder. Keeping in mind the man has never killed more than a dog before, i find it nearly impossible to believe. Also, Ellen not only doesn't turn in the woman who tried to have her killed but she gives up a promising career. Not one part of this finale made a bit of sense. It's like the writers just started smoking crack. Expand
  16. Sep 28, 2014
    I really liked the show, but one thing about it made no snese.
    Patty Hewes was a bastard to work for.
    Tom and Ellen, worked for her, were treated like dirt, and had other offers from other law firms.
    SO WHY DIDN'T THEY QUIT AND GO TO WORK FOR THEM?
    I know this is only a tv show, fiction, but that part made no sense.

The plot is difficult to follow - shot sequences, at least in the first two episodes, often pair sex and death (an FX trademark, practically; it’s the network that looks our animal selves in the eye), whether or not their pairing helps the story--but you’re strung along deftly enough so that you do want to know how it’s all going to play out.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Who's a villain and who's a hero here? Can you tell the pawns from the players? All excellent questions as we become absorbed in FX's latest thrill ride.
  3. Despite its fantastic nature, the story is an onion with a thousand layers, each one a satisfying mystery of its own.