• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
8.0

1. May 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't get me wrong, Dexter is a great show, one of the best out there, but this season was virtually worthless. For starters, it recycles the same plot used in seasons 1 and 2: Dexter makes a friend but then oh wait that friend is too damgerous so he has to kill them. I didn't mind them doing it with lila in season 2 since it was less predictable and almost took a backseat to the whole bay harbor butcher dilemma, but here it is unacceptable. There are still some good things. I like the way the season introduces Quinn's character. Miguel Prado's actor does a nice job, but sadly there just really isn't much there with his charcater, whom the writers apparently decided to make extremely one-dimensional. Also they failed to smoothly weave the skinner subplot into the main storyline as it felt forced and led to a rather anticlimactic finale. The only reason for watching this season in all honesty is to understand Quinn better in the later seasons. That and i guess if you're just really bored. Expand
  2. Mar 19, 2014
    Grossly overrated. There was nothing special about this season, and though Smitz is a good actor, his character Miguel was boring and annoying. Season 5 is far, far better.
  3. Nov 27, 2013
    A originalidade come├ža a fica defasada mas, a serie ainda tem um personagem altamente afetivo que cativa o publico com sua frieza angelical, Dexter ainda encanta apesar da queda de qualidade.
  4. Nov 24, 2013
    A great season again. It is getting more interesting and suspenseful as it goes on. The writing is really funny and dramatic at the same time. But they balance those 2 well. Still a great show.
  5. Oct 19, 2013
    the third season of dexter was the worst season of all the seasons of this program launched, it seems that the writers were lazy and decided to do a season just to wrap the story.
  6. Sep 24, 2013
    This is one of the weaker season of Dexter. Its still great, and much better in retrospect. This season revolves around Dexter befriending a man named Miguel, who is also the assistant DA. After some events Dexter teaches him how to kill. Jimmy Smits was incredible as Miguel and the plotline, was incredible. The Main problem with this season is the cop story line. They are looking for a serial killer called the Skinner, the problem is that the Skinner is a very uninteresting, weak villain. The other problem is that the only excellent episodes are 9,10 and 11. This is still a very strong season, but still a step-down from Season 2.
    7.5/10
  7. Sep 15, 2013
    After one season and my favorite second season, 3'rd looks poor, but after 5 episodes season becomes much more interesting, but anyway worse than previous.
  8. Aug 15, 2013
    Season 3 retreads old ground and introduces some of the least interesting and most frustrating supporting characters throughout the course of the series.
    Michael C. Hall continues to impress with his astounding performance, but season 3 is in the bottom half of the seasons Dexter has offered up yet.
  9. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season of Dexter was also extremely good. The plot isn't quite as gripping or unique as in the previous two season but on all other counts the show is just as successful. Miguel's character is also very interesting as you get to see all of his layers peal away to reveal what he really is on the inside making for a very interesting dynamic between him and his temporary partner Dexter. Expand
  10. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dexter season 3, while being the least interesting season of the show thus far, still has some highlights (there is no such thing as a "bad" season of Dexter, but it does not quite stand up to seasons 1 and 2.)

Starts out interesting enough-Dexter kills the wrong guy! Who happens to be the brother of the ADA. That's the good part. The bad part is this ADAS is played by Jimmy Smits-who I had trouble buying into all season long.

The rest of the cast shined brightly in season 3-although Batista's romance with the vice-cop seemed forced, and vanished as soon as the season ended.

But, the centerpiece of the season is Dexter's relationship with Miguel Prado. I did find it difficult to believe that Dex would be so quick to let him in to his dark world-and he indeed learned at the end that it was a very bad idea. The red-herring of the bachelor party kidnapping was perfectly done, as we knew the Skinner was on his trail. Speaking of that though-I had a VERY difficult time believing that Prado and the Skinner would be in cahoots. That may have been the low-point of the season crow-barred in just to keep the tension going throughout the 12 episodes.

I did like the storyline about Deb and Anton. She did seem happy there for a short time. Quinn came across as a jerk, but not nearly the total a%$hole that Doakes was.

All in all-the least amazing of all of Dexter's seasons I would say. It was hard to buy into Jimmy Smits as the "big bad" but still lots of good fun to be had. The show MORE than redeemed itself 10 x over with the following season.
  11. Apr 13, 2013
    Really enjoyable to watch, but plot- wise kind of lacks what made seasons 1 and 2 so brilliant.
    Feels like the main plot idea behind the series kind of got used up for the first seasons while this one is something they simply came up with to be able to continue the series. Well written? Yes. Brilliant? No.
  12. Apr 2, 2013
    After a fantastic ending to the second season hopes were high for the third and yet again the writers and cast deliver. This time around the show focuses more heavily on Dexter's gradually character development and desire to be accepted by someone for who he really is.

This certainly makes season three different as many of the major developments involve Dexter's personal life but it is
    no less intense and and almost as entertaining as the first two seasons. Expand
  13. Nov 9, 2012
    Prado brings this season down, as his character is stupid and unlikable; however, Dexter himself is still captivating to watch. It is the main character here who keeps the show one of the very best on TV.
  14. Oct 28, 2012
    While this season is still good, it was missing a certain je ne sais quoi the first two seasons were abundant with. Dexter finding a friend that he can actually trust brings a dynamic that makes the season still worth watching.
  15. Oct 20, 2012
    While Jimmy Smits did a good job as Miguel and watching his back and forth with Hall was entertaining, His entire storyline was simply not that interesting and ended quite patheticly as well. Same goes for the whole Skinner story line, which I thought would have been better as the main focus instead of the Miguel storyline. I am giving it one more season and unless the show improves greatly, I will more then likely stop watching. Expand
  16. Jan 9, 2012
    This season is, in my opinion, underrated. It has some really nice twists, Miguel is a great character, who is not who you expected him to be. Dex goes through changes as he proposes to Rita and she's pregnant, and actually thinks it's possible for him to have a friend. So this season has a lighter atmosphere than the last ones, but this was important for Dexter's development as a character. The serial killer is really dangerous as always, with a cool signature, but isn't really explored as a character, but what's interesting about him is he thinks he's doing the killing for a reason, but he really just has a dark passenger like Dex. Expand
  17. Dec 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this season was awful: a stupid plot, bad characters, anything transcendental. Dexter appears to be retarded in this season. The worst season of dexter for sure. Expand
  18. Aug 20, 2011
    I honestly felt like I had to sit through most of the season and I lost interest a couple of times. Dexter seemed to jump the shark a little bit, coming off more as an action hero and the new characters, especially the main villain, didn't do it for me. That being said, it still had plenty of good moments that make it worth watching all the way through.
  19. Aug 17, 2011
    It is imo second best season of Dexter to date. The twist with Dexter thinking about his father`s code throughout the whole season is very attractive, as we see him developing his personality and questioning his motives and purpose of his life. He has to decide if he wants to be a "normal" person and , most of all, if he is able to actually be one. He is acompanied by Miguel Prado, a Miami DA who is also a very interesting character. Interactions of those two play the most part in this season which leads to a powerful ending. Some fine twists. Great acting by Michael C. Hall as always, but same also by Jennifer Carpenter, Jimmy Smits and David Zayas. Expand
  20. Jun 28, 2011
    Season 3 is junk compared to the first 2 seasons. Worst guest star of all time goes to Jimmy Smits, one of the worst actors to make a name for himself on tv (oddly enough David Caruso is at the top of this list, wtf cast NYPD Blue? Bunch of complete crap actors except for D Franz...). Plot is over the top unbelievable, with Dexter's secret identity somehow not being compromised no matter who he kills. This season was a major step backwards, but luckily Season 4 rocks some socks. Expand
  21. Apr 8, 2011
    This was my least favorite season, besides season 5, but it's still a 10! Another great plot, great acting, great twists and lots of tension. Loved every minute of it and the new characters they added.
  22. Nov 2, 2010
    Probably the weakest Season of the show, but that just tells you how good Dexter is. The poorest season is better than most of the crap in Network TV. Still a very enjoyable season with Dexter dealing with his "student" and the troubles that creates for him.
  23. Nov 1, 2010
    Fast becoming my favorite tv series. Can't wait to see season 4. I noticed the critics ratings dropped a little between series 2 & 3. I disagree. I think the show just keeps getting better.
  24. Oct 8, 2010
    Season 3 is by the far the best so far, obviously you cant beat the greatness of the original series, BUT you can appreciate how dark and deep this one gets keeping you on the edge of your seat really badly at some moments. Rita is developing into the most annoying character. the situations that dexter is caught in are white knuckle rides of anticipation of the result.
  25. Sep 28, 2010
    Its such a great show, i'm always on the edge of my seat. every episode feels like a roller coaster, and i've never felt that with any other show before. Micheal C. Hall deserves every award he gets for this show and more, it is the best acting i've seen in a long time.

1. Reviewed by: Micah Towery
    Should we actually trust his actions over what he says as a true indicator of who he really is? It does not seem that the writers of the show have discovered this apparent problem in their storytelling, but it certainly could be something worth exploring in the coming season.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Dexter is real, all right. Real good.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    With the larger narrative diminished, what remains are the smaller moments. There Hall's terrific performance--full of sly wit and contradictions--elevates the show