• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
7.1

1. Oct 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh dear. This is not a promising start for season 6.
    It's been a year since the events of last season. I understand WHY they needed to skip a lot of time (both season 4 & 5 took place within a very short amount of time relative to each other, so a gap was needed to offset, I get it), but the way they did it caused one of the main issues with the whole episode. There was so much heavy-handed exposition (and heavy-handed is a term I will probably use repeatedly for the whole episode) that it made everything seem fake...if you have to spend most of the episode explaining what happened before the episode, then you know there's a problem! Remember the whole romance between Batista and Laguerta during seasons 4&5? Well, it's over. Whether that's a good or bad thing is purely up to the viewer, but there's no gravity given to it in the episode: They got divorced, and everything's back to the way it was before, no hard feelings or anything. Really? Such a situation is not unheard of, but it seems MORE like the writers just wanted to wash their hands of it and go a different route. In fact, it seems like they've used the large space of time between seasons to "resolve" a lot of things they didn't want to deal with this season. Quinn seems completely off the hook for Liddy's murder. Sure, Dexter helped him out by fudging the blood results at the end of the last season, but since when is a blood analysis the end-all of an investigation? Yes, it's a necessary step, but there were other implicating factors in Liddy's murder, such as the fact that Quinn had made a crapload of phone calls to Liddy right before he was killed. Well, such complicated issues won't be a problem here, they've all been swept under the rug like they never happened! Apparently to clean the slate for this season's own "issues", which apparently are going to focus on religion. Again, I am going to state how heavy handed this episode was. We've known all along that Dexter is not a religious person; remember that episode in season 5 where Dexter takes the nanny's little saint figurine and told the nanny he didn't like it, but later reconsidered it for Harrison's sake? Well, they redid that as a whole subplot here: Dexter takes Harrison to a preschool but finds out it's a Catholic preschool, so he rejects it, but later reconsiders, because it may help Harrison. Wow, Dexter, are you really going to be spinning your wheels like this, relearning the same things and never getting anywhere? I realize this is a tricky point with shows: the character needs to evolve, but if they go to far from what made them appealing in the first place then the show will collapse. But at the same time, if the character NEVER evolves, despite the various things he experiences which "open his eyes", he feels fake, almost a parody.
    Unfortunately, Dexter did feel like a parody of himself the whole episode. In fact, his first kills in the episode (where he kills two organ harvesters) were out of character for him; did he really kill them by shocking them to death? But isn't Dexter's whole thing his obsession with blood? That's why he stabs them to death! And then, he goes to a class reunion to stalk an old classmate who murdered a highschool friend (and the coincidence factor in all of this had my reality-check meter going crazy), where we get to see Dexter become "popular"...and the ghost of Harry (yes, I know it's not really Harry, just part of Dexter's psyche) actually encourages him to embrace this...which seemed COMPLETELY weird. Harry is supposed to be that part of Dexter's brain that encourages him to be safe and cautious, to blend in, not stand out, to stick to the code. If this is what's going on in Dexter's head I think he's getting mentally unstable (and keep in mind we're talking about a sociopathic murderer here). Then he ends up dancing with his old classmates (it's completely ridiculous to watch and even Michael C. Hall looks embarrassed) and playing football (yes, I know he's trying to get blood; it looks more like an excuse to get Dexter into increasingly absurd situations to get what he wants).
    There was a scene with Batista and his sister here that was just weird, and I don't even know why it was there. It wasn't interesting, it was just strange. Also, it seems like all the actors were "phoning it in," hardly any convincing dialogue at all.
    Now, having said that, it wasn't ALL bad. I'm interested to see how Laguerta's and Batista's promotions play out in the group dynamic. The appearance of this season's villains, while underwhelming, is still somewhat interesting (although why they didn't show the actual murder happening is beyond me). And finding out why Quinn had been acting weird was a relief, and kinda cool, though the ending scene with the shootout in the restaurant seemed completely random.
    Hopefully the season will pick up after a few episodes, but this was not a good start.
  2. Oct 2, 2011
    The best season premiere yet. I have no idea how mainstream critics will give the fourth season of breaking bad near perfect reviews and give this mediocre ones when this show is without a doubt at least on par with, if not better, than breaking bad. The first episode gives a small preview of a few different interesting subplots that will no doubt soon be explored. I can't wait to see howThe best season premiere yet. I have no idea how mainstream critics will give the fourth season of breaking bad near perfect reviews and give this mediocre ones when this show is without a doubt at least on par with, if not better, than breaking bad. The first episode gives a small preview of a few different interesting subplots that will no doubt soon be explored. I can't wait to see how the rest of the season turns out Collapse
  3. Oct 2, 2011
    As good as ever. Ignore the mainstream critics! This is going to be an Epic season. So glad its starting now, because Breaking Bad's season ends next week. Walking Dead+Dexter = Pure TV watching goodness!
  4. Dec 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to like this Season of Dexter. Now that I have had a chance to experience every episode of this season, I can say with confidence that I didn't enjoy it very much. I could think of several shark-jumping moments around the midpoint of the season alone, and one fatal error that ruined the entire season for me. There is a scene where Dexter SEES Gellar walk into the building. With the twist of Geller being dead all along, this scene is neither addressed or padded with reasons for how he may have seen him. Hell, I would have accepted that he imagined someone else as Gellar, but attempting to fly such a blatant error under the audience's collective noses is insulting. That's just one thing I didn't like. The reasons for Deb being promoted were petty and poorly explained. Really, just to get back at LaGuerta? He didn't take into account her reckless attitude and being an emotional wreck 95% of the time? Someone that stupid deserves to have someone like Deb discover some dirty laundry. And what's worse, Batista just took her promotion sitting down. I mean, really? There's being a good sport about something, and there's being a spineless sod. Batista is the latter. The trinity killer's son reappearing in one episode was unnecessary and felt too much like padding. Did they really need to rehash that one scenario to move the season forward? At the very least, the last episode brings hope that the next season might be the last. This is an excellent idea, because it seems to me that Dexter as a series has run its course. If you're truly a fan of the show, go back and watch the first season. After doing that, watch a single episode of something in season 6. It may feel as if you're watching a completely different show. The overall feel of the show was much darker and more believable. Now it's almost family friendly watching akin to a mid-afternoon soap. Yes there are swears, but there is so much melodrama and contrived scenarios that the series loses all tension and you lose all attachment to the characters you watch on screen. I don't care how heavy of a scenario Dexter or anyone of the Miami Homicide gets into, you know they're going to live through it. Writers, throw a curve ball at the audience every so often. Please. Expand
  5. Dec 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One scene pretty much sums up the sheer ridiculousness and humorous of this season and that is the one from the last episode of the season where Dexter is floating in the middle of the ocean after his encounter with Travis and gets rescued by a boat of what appears to be Cuban immigrants trying to get to Miami. One of the immigrants decides it's a good idea to rob everyone while they are still in the middle of the ocean and Dexter rolls up and spears him with a trident. Then Dexter being the badass he is, takes command of the boat and heads back to Miami. This scene along with many others as well as the whole premise for this season were completely unnecessary and quite ridiculous. This show is starting to lose it's edge. Expand
  6. Feb 28, 2012
    This season was unbelievably silly. Gone are the days where Dexter actively tries to not get caught. Now he just sort of wings it and manages to stay under the Miami Metro's radar. The only good subplot of the whole season got killed off halfway through, and while I like Colin Hanks, his part was horribly miscast. I don't know if I've just grown up since I first started watching theThis season was unbelievably silly. Gone are the days where Dexter actively tries to not get caught. Now he just sort of wings it and manages to stay under the Miami Metro's radar. The only good subplot of the whole season got killed off halfway through, and while I like Colin Hanks, his part was horribly miscast. I don't know if I've just grown up since I first started watching the series or if it really has gone downhill, but I can say that I just didn't enjoy this season. Expand
  7. Oct 3, 2011
    The season six premiere of Dexter was very funny and entertaining. I don't know if the rest of the season will be as good as the premiere, but i'm hoping for the best.
  8. Jan 2, 2012
  9. Jan 9, 2012
    The fist half of this season was amazing. BUT, the second half, with perhaps a few expectations was such a missed oppurtunity, and a big let down. Brother Sam was a great character though, and his story was great.
  10. Oct 6, 2011
    Great premiere. That's all I'm rating here though. At the time of this critique that's the only episode that has been on. So, really, don't be ignorant people and predictably bash on the critics. You've only seen one episode so far. The critics have seen more than that. And they've always liked Dexter. Them going from really liking the show to giving a mediocre score should at least makeGreat premiere. That's all I'm rating here though. At the time of this critique that's the only episode that has been on. So, really, don't be ignorant people and predictably bash on the critics. You've only seen one episode so far. The critics have seen more than that. And they've always liked Dexter. Them going from really liking the show to giving a mediocre score should at least make people wonder that maybe future episodes of this new season aren't up to par. Expand
  11. Oct 6, 2011
    There seems to be a low production value that really bothers me. The lighting seems very generic and too bright. The camera angels are boring and shaky. I felt like I was watching a day time soap.
  12. Oct 17, 2011
    I personally think that the new season is amazing. It is definitely as good as ever, Michael C. Hall is in the first episode amazing, especially in his high school 20th anniversary reunion.
  13. Dec 20, 2011
    As a fan of Dexter, I am very disappointed with this season. It does have a bad first impression, but when you watch the next episodes, it gets worse. This season has uninteresting new characters, several plotholes, and (last but not least) poor writing. I don't mind that this season is religiously themed, but when you watch its episodes, it really lacks our interest. However, the seasonAs a fan of Dexter, I am very disappointed with this season. It does have a bad first impression, but when you watch the next episodes, it gets worse. This season has uninteresting new characters, several plotholes, and (last but not least) poor writing. I don't mind that this season is religiously themed, but when you watch its episodes, it really lacks our interest. However, the season finale really fascinates me and it makes me become impatient for the next season. I hope the next season is better than this season, but it better be good! Expand
  14. Dec 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season, "Dexter" seems desperate to reclaim its daring and dark charm. And completely at a loss about how to do so. Part of the problem is the widening gap between sentimental Daddy Dexter and Dexter the calculating predator, as well as the show's increasing substitution of simple spectacle for its earlier blend of black comedy and insight into our culture's shared nightmares. I had hope for this season, scheduled to take on religion. I had looked forward to some interesting conflicts. Dexter now has a son who, as he did, witnessed the brutal slaughter of his mother, bathed in her blood. Do you send such a son to Catholic school, with its intense focus on a brutally slaughtered deity and thousands of comparably mutilated martyrs? A religion that finds salvation in the most extreme physical suffering? Well, aside from the occasional quick shot of a crucifix, the show avoids such thorny questions, focusing instead on whether Dexter "owes" Harrison religious training, even though he himself does not believe. Oh, and it dangles the idea of redemption for a few episodes but doesn't do much with it, pointlessly killing off its messenger halfway through the season. (The writers should have revisited BRIGHTON ROCK, which asks the fascinating question of whether an evil man can be redeemed despite his best efforts to damn himself.) Anyway, most of the religious conflict is the kind of angsting around I'd expect from "Brothers and Sisters." The season's rival serial killer starts out well enough, representing the twin spiritual dangers of biblical literalism and assurance of a divine mandate that justifies . . . well, anything. Not all that resonant in Dexter's universe but interesting-ish, especially if it were to push a little on the nature of ritual and the religious significance of sacrifice. Nope. Instead, we get increasingly preposterous psychologizing that takes us through several physical impossibilities and/or gross lapses in continuity, winding around until we're back at . . . redemption, with Dexter now trying to redeem a fellow serial killer. Sigh. But Dexter, the character, is at least still recognizable, while nearly every other principal has lost his or her coherence completely. Deb is the worst, though I can't decide whether it's her promotion or her sudden incestuous desire for Dexter that is less convincing. I mean, she has already dated one semi-brother-cum-serial-killer, for heaven's sake; are there really no other taboos to break? The last few seconds of the show held out hope for next season, but the show won't make a comeback without some new blood in the writer's room. Yes, both kinds. Expand
  15. Dec 31, 2011
    In my opinion absolutely without a doubt the best show ever! , and i'm telling you, I've seen great TV shows and movies for more than 7 years, Dexter is the best, it definitely has brilliant acting and great story. Dexter Rules !!
  16. Jan 3, 2012
    Not as good as the other seasons. Leaned more towards religion and the difficult subject about God, but sometimes a show calls for uncomfortable topics. I enjoy the routine Dexter of previous seasons. This season was more complex and dealt with sensitive issues, especially incest and religion. Experimental!
  17. Jan 5, 2012
    Great season, not sure what all the hate is about, after 6 seasons it is still staying fresh.
    The killers are as interesting as ever, Definitely Cannot wait for season 7
  18. Feb 1, 2012
    Well, since I love the Dexter series, and critics rate Homeland 1 ( which I loved too) a perfect 10, I have to rate Dexter 6 an 11, like season 5. (The first season of Dexter may have been a 15, in retrospect.) Dexter is above regular series, but it has been noticed by the mainstream, bored viewers and critics. Keep going your own way, Dexter. Don't compete with the middle masses.
  19. Mar 28, 2012
    After watching this season again, I realize this is one of the most amazing seasons of Dexter. Probably the best behind 1, and 4, respectively. This season has been the most exhilirating, scariest, most disturbing, and darkest season yet. It also pushed the supporting cast forward to unknown territory. I loved the way Batista and his partner interacted. The killers were evil, the twist wasAfter watching this season again, I realize this is one of the most amazing seasons of Dexter. Probably the best behind 1, and 4, respectively. This season has been the most exhilirating, scariest, most disturbing, and darkest season yet. It also pushed the supporting cast forward to unknown territory. I loved the way Batista and his partner interacted. The killers were evil, the twist was effective, and the last ten seconds make up for the generic finale. I loved this season, loved the approach, loved the style, and can't wait for Season 7 in September! Expand
  20. May 6, 2012
    What the hell happened?
    This season is superficial and hollow.
    The fresh idea to take religion as the central theme was good thinking, if it wasn't for that terribly bad execution. And all this bull about Dexter the Hero is retarded since they showed us in 5 seasons how much he isn't a hero. And for all of us original Dexter fans, that is inacceptable! So let's hope they wont **** up
    What the hell happened?
    This season is superficial and hollow.
    And for all of us original Dexter fans, that is inacceptable!
    So let's hope they wont **** up season 7 as well...
  21. May 27, 2012
    Ohh my f... god.... this must be the WORSE season of a GREAT show that use to be, long time ago, very good... now I see how **** a show can become... don't know if it's fame/money... or simply a sentiment of WTF, WATHEVER... we are all famous, and rich... let's do whatever we want...

crap... simply the BIGGEST DECLINE in a TV show QUALITY, EVER!!!!!!
  22. Oct 2, 2011
    I agree that the mainstream critics have thus far rated this opening too low. It was excellent, and the new "badies" are chillingly sinister. This looks to be an awesome season!
  23. Oct 4, 2011
    This is a great show, I agree ignore the critics. Season 4 was a great one, this one should beat it for sure. The premier was great and funny, very entertaining Tv. I love it and can't wait for more!
  24. Oct 4, 2011
    Coming off of season 5, which so many people seemed to hate, I actually enjoyed last year. I didnt like the Dexter & Lumen ending but nonetheless good season. On to this season, I really enjoyed the season premiere. I liked the humor at the high school reunion. I think the bad guys are certainly going to be interesting, and different to say the least. I thought it was overall solid andComing off of season 5, which so many people seemed to hate, I actually enjoyed last year. I didnt like the Dexter & Lumen ending but nonetheless good season. On to this season, I really enjoyed the season premiere. I liked the humor at the high school reunion. I think the bad guys are certainly going to be interesting, and different to say the least. I thought it was overall solid and cant wait to see where its going. Expand
  25. Oct 18, 2011
    It's a great show. It has great actors, a great plot, and great character development. Season 6 of Dexter is just as good as any other, and possibly even better.

That's all there is to say.
  26. Oct 19, 2011
    Dexter always seems like it will be hard to enjoy barring the majority of the cast is very unlikeable. Perhaps Michael C. Hall has the ability to overshadow his counterparts. Can't imagine the minds of the writers who develop the wild villains of Dexter and if it's an inside joke to see how many times "Deb" can say F in a season. Regardless, Dexter has continuously been one a compellingDexter always seems like it will be hard to enjoy barring the majority of the cast is very unlikeable. Perhaps Michael C. Hall has the ability to overshadow his counterparts. Can't imagine the minds of the writers who develop the wild villains of Dexter and if it's an inside joke to see how many times "Deb" can say F in a season. Regardless, Dexter has continuously been one a compelling drama for six straight seasons. Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season of Dexter explores the theme of religion with talented guest actors and a familiar, gritty feel to it that makes it well worth your time. With the exception of Deb (and maybe Masuka), the other character arcs are put on hold in the beginning of the season to allow more time for the main plot, which remains gripping. Expand
  28. Oct 26, 2011
    Snakes in the tummy? You had me at the stitches...It inspired my "hommage" blog post today...Dizzy with pain, I turned to my fictional TV hero for help with the blood work. Please check it out and comment, for better or worse...on SinusSister.com

29. Nov 2, 2011
    Amazing season, I don't know if they are doing it on purpose but the even seasons (2,4 and now 6) are amazing, Dexter season 4 was by far the best on all dimensions and this season is shaping up to be quite as good if not better
  30. Nov 9, 2011

this guy writes some really good reviews, check it out. give it a chance!, if you like it give it a follow, and support him!
  31. Nov 13, 2011
    Dexter has yet to develop or change. This season he tells killers to forgive themselves adding a new layer of criteria to his kills. But he cannot practice what he preaches. Since he feels no guilt he can't forgive himself. He is clearly a sociopath now: The risky sex, getting things "he wants", and lying and stealing. In some effect he's devolved into an emotional, self centeredDexter has yet to develop or change. This season he tells killers to forgive themselves adding a new layer of criteria to his kills. But he cannot practice what he preaches. Since he feels no guilt he can't forgive himself. He is clearly a sociopath now: The risky sex, getting things "he wants", and lying and stealing. In some effect he's devolved into an emotional, self centered sociopath, where before, Harry's "code" had almost transformed him into a high level psychopath (with little risk of being discovered). I fear that since he feels no guilt for his own actions that his new philosophy may turn out to be a vanity and a hypocrisy: He still seeks out the most moral way possible to please his dark desires. Right now the only thing I've realized is how far the audience will go to empathize with a serial killer; someone with no chance of reciprocating that empathy. In order for Dexter to develop he'll have to actually change his behaviour and not just preach like his dead mechanic friend. Right now the religion and the added responsibilities of fatherhood are merely window dressing to his sociopathic mistakes, and mistakes of the writer's. Expand
  32. Dec 1, 2011
    Critics say that Dexter it's not what it used to be. I disagree. However, I must say it's, at this point, the worst season of Dexter. It's not the worst, it's the less good.
  33. Dec 11, 2011
    The season is as good as ever. A must see. Don't believe the critic in the yellow.
  34. Dec 17, 2011
    This season has its ups and it's downs. We can all agree that season 4 was the best, but season 6 isn't bad. Don't see why it's getting scored so low. Some things in this season are very weird making me only give it a 8.
  35. Dec 19, 2011
    The season was great but final episode was a big bust. But I still loved this years season. In order of seasons I like from best to worse it have to go 1,4,2,6,5, and 3. Can't wate for 7 how will everything turn out u think??
  36. Dec 19, 2011
    This is one of the most exciting shows on television, showcasing limitless amounts of talent from Michael C. Hall, as well as a roughly interesting chemistry between the rest of the main cast. The course of events taken, are seeming to unfold as one of the most interesting, and captivating seasons of an already scalding hot show. The news of the 7th and 8th being the last seasons areThis is one of the most exciting shows on television, showcasing limitless amounts of talent from Michael C. Hall, as well as a roughly interesting chemistry between the rest of the main cast. The course of events taken, are seeming to unfold as one of the most interesting, and captivating seasons of an already scalding hot show. The news of the 7th and 8th being the last seasons are disappointing, however the act of unfolding what's been thrust into the arc of the story will likely take that amount of time, while at the same time eliminating any questions left to be answered. In the ultimate climax, we will eventually be revealed the true fate of dexter, and I don't think 8 seasons is enough, especially when mindless shows like "Weeds" and "Californication" have somehow lasted as long, and longer than the projection of texter. I sense a possible attention and acclaim strategy, set up by numeros executives to garnish curios viewership. There's no way Showtime could just allow such a money machine as Dexter to end while the notes are high, but we'll see what happens over the next two years. Who knows, maybe we'll all be tired of Dexter soon, but I just don't see it happening. Especially when each season breaks Showtime viewership records. The company isn't stupid. Expand
  37. Dec 19, 2011
    Despite a convenient, sloppy, and predictable ending, the season had some twists that were intriguing, and it thoroughly explored the minds of serial killers both religiously and personally. Although I'm still excited for the seasons to come and the show is still great at cliffhangers that make you feel obligated and excited to see future episodes, the series is not at the same calibre asDespite a convenient, sloppy, and predictable ending, the season had some twists that were intriguing, and it thoroughly explored the minds of serial killers both religiously and personally. Although I'm still excited for the seasons to come and the show is still great at cliffhangers that make you feel obligated and excited to see future episodes, the series is not at the same calibre as it once was. For the most part it's more creative and interesting than most of television, but I can't help but compare it to the earlier seasons, which were far more clever and unpredictable than what the show is today. Expand
  38. Dec 19, 2011
    How can a season of a television show be reviewed before the entire season has aired? I'll never understand that. You have to view the season as a whole before juding it. You wouldn't review a book after reading the first chapter, would you?

Personally, I enjoyed this season from beginning to end. Some intriguing characters were introduced, interesting elements explored, and a serious shocker of an ending. The surprise of this finale compares to that of season four.

I thoroughly enjoyed this season as Dexter did indeed seem to return to his roots. I liked how they worked elements of past seasons into this one.
  39. Dec 21, 2011
    Great great last episodes of year 2011. It took some time for this rather uneven season to reach cruising speed. Yet not at the quality level of season 5, season 6 is now mature and showing very good and very promising things. Looking impatiently forward to next episodes
  40. Dec 21, 2011
    like always... ended at suspense!!
    GRAND FINALE....!!
    enjoyed watching it...
    my first tv series of any foreign country...
    made me a fan of hall and carpenter...
    waiting for the next season before the world ends(2012) ;) :P :D
    wana see wat the writers r planning to do next
    gonna be fun,i know it!!
  41. Dec 28, 2011
    My conclusion about the sixth season is that though it is a little better than five I know that this show can still do a lot better. It is a shame they did not go for a more refreshing story but instead safely followed their formula, which overall makes for not a very outstanding season, even being a little predictable. The season will probably be remembered by fans as that mediocreMy conclusion about the sixth season is that though it is a little better than five I know that this show can still do a lot better. It is a shame they did not go for a more refreshing story but instead safely followed their formula, which overall makes for not a very outstanding season, even being a little predictable. The season will probably be remembered by fans as that mediocre religious season, but mostly it will be remembered by the daring cliffhanger it had, which hopefully brings us a brilliant seventh season next year. Read full review here: http://777.webklik.nl/page/dexter Expand
  42. Dec 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome, just awesome!!
    Unbeliavable theme of the season, that mixes thriller with action, what makes the story incredibly captivating.
    C.Hall and the usual cast are good as always, and the new characters of the season like Edward James Olmos, and Colin Hanks played a beatiful job as well.
    In my opinion one of the best dexter's seasons of all, being in the second position under of the first one only.
  43. Jan 10, 2012
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk. Great season. Great potential for the future. Dex and deb sittin in a tree.. k-i-l-l-i-n-g. Who doesn't want to see that.
  44. Feb 14, 2012
    Many people are giving Dexter the flac for the season 6 storyline and the trend that this series is following.

First and foremost, most agree that S1 and S4 were the best. I agree too. But that doesn't make the rest of the seasons the worst out there. When you compared them with 1 and 4, they might not match up, but in comparison to most other serials, they are way better. This season

First and foremost, most agree that S1 and S4 were the best. I agree too.

But that doesn't make the rest of the seasons the worst out there. When you compared them with 1 and 4, they might not match up, but in comparison to most other serials, they are way better. This season was many times slower than the previous seasons sometimes almost making me drowsy with all the talking talking talking and emotional stuff that was mostly centred on Debra Morgan (as always).

However this season has a great villain (though not as charismatic or creepy as the Trinity Killer or Ice Truck Killer) with his own dark story. Excellent ways of killing people on the villain's part (atleast the first 4) and almost every episode has an end that makes you want more! The season has a great ending just like season 4 (though nowhere as shocking!).

I watched 6 seasons of Dexter in a span of 1 and half week so it is also a possibility that my drowsiness was a result of the tiredness, but regardless I say this is a fun season.

However the producers and the rest of the crew would do 'Dexter' a service by making sure they come up with something ground breaking and WAY different in the next season!
  45. Feb 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this season was basically a parody of previous years and was another filler season like seasons three and five. The only redeeming thing this season has to offer is introducing us to season 8's bad guy, Louis Greene. There is a story arc that has begun, but wont be very parallel to Dexter's under your nose the whole time story arc unless it waits until season 8, so don't count on that until the final season.

in the meantime, other than that we could have skipped the whole season by having Deb find out he was a killer at the end of the also bland season 5.
  46. Mar 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would like to say, this is not season 4, it was a great season, dont compare every season that comes after it to it. At this point in the show, Dexter has really become more human now with his son, Harrison. the big thing about this season is Dexter is staring to think about what will he pass down to Harrison, since hes getting older and starting to understand. So the little things with Dexter and Harrison are cool. And there is the serial killer of the season. this time "they're" driven by by god to bring about the end of the world. Still interesting as ever and really creepy. This is a great season. Is it season 4? No. but that doesn't mean the show will be bad from now on. Expand
  47. Jul 30, 2012
    I finally finished this season to be officially caught up. Season 6 isn't as good as some of the past seasons, but I still enjoyed it. The big theme of this season is religion, and they pull if off very well. The Doomsday killers (or should I say killer) perform murders based on the book of Revelations, and they plan, "to end the world". On the other hand is Brother Sam (played veryI finally finished this season to be officially caught up. Season 6 isn't as good as some of the past seasons, but I still enjoyed it. The big theme of this season is religion, and they pull if off very well. The Doomsday killers (or should I say killer) perform murders based on the book of Revelations, and they plan, "to end the world". On the other hand is Brother Sam (played very well by Mos Def), who Dexter meets and even becomes friends with. Brother Sam is a great character who shows the positive side of religion, while the Doomsday killer uses religion as an excuse to murder. Colin Hanks and Edwards James Olmos are the Doomsday killers. EJO is great. He used to be a professor who is an expert on the book of Revelations and inspires Colin Hanks. While EJO does a great job, the show pulls off an unforgivable twist that might be the worst I've ever witnessed in any show or movie. The "big twist" is that EJO is only a figment of Colin Hanks imagination (much like Dexter's dad). In the 3rd to last episode it is revealed that Hanks killed EJO 3 years ago and has been carrying out the murders on his own. It's an absolutley terrible twist. In my opinion there are two ways that a twist can be ruined. One, the twist doesn't make any sense, and two, it's an unneccesary twist. Dexter fails miserably in both these regards. For the entire season it is very clear that EJO is real. At one point when Hanks is having doubts about carrying on their "mission", EJO confronts him, and hits him in the face with a shovel. When Hanks wakes up, he is CHAINED to the ground, and EJO admits that he murdered Hanks sister to keep him "on the path". This makes ZERO sense. How could Hanks chain himself to the ground and escape? There are numerous other examples (such as Dexter actually seeing EJO himself) that prove how senseless the twist is. The twist was also unneccesary. EJO was by far the more interesting of the two Doomsday killers, so to make him imaginary almost destroyed the entire season for me. Thankfully the last 5 minutes completely redeem the whole season. I'd go as far to say that this ending is better than the gut punch at the end of Season 4, which is a bold statement. The most interesting sub plot in this season is easily Deb. She eventually starts to see a shrink (the one she was ordered to see in Season 5 when she killed that one killer in the club), and the show digs deep into her pyshcology. It gives her character more depth than it ever had before, which is very important considering how vital she is to the show. She eventually comes to the realization that she loves Dexter, and by love I mean... LOVE. It's the reason all of her past realtionships have failed. The shrink brings this out of her by mentioning that they aren't blood related, and that it's more realistic than Deb may think. Deb comes to this realization at the very end of the season and decides to confront Dexter about it. She knows he is at the abandoned church where the Doomsday killer was holed up, but she thinks he is doing forensic work there. What she doesn't know is that Dexter has Hanks there, and is on the verge of killing him. Just as she arrives she witnesses Dexter kill Hanks, and is equally shocked and horrified. Dexter sees her, freezes and the show cuts to black. It's one hell of an ending that saved Season 6. Had is not been for the idiotic twist this season could have been much better. That being said, Season 7 should be phenomenal. Expand
  48. Aug 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An improvement over its messy fifth season. The sixth season of Dexter had a solid start and a solid ending. The main problems were the middle act of the season. While I liked how it was a new start in Dexter\'s life, Season 6 started to take a big stumble after pursuing unnecessary subplots that culminated in an uneccessary endgame towards the first half of the season. The episode 7 titled Nebraska is hands down one of the worst episodes this show has ever had. The result of these unecessary subplots was the poor development of its villains which are vital to a season\'s greatness. Instead of unnecessarily pursuing and combining the Ice Truck and Trinity Killer stories in the above mentioned disastrous episode, there could have been enough time to develop the new villains. The twist involving Gellar and Travis didn\'t work out well considering it was done towards the end. All that being said it had a strong start and it\'s finale was very good which could have been better considering the very week episodes that built up to it. Overall it\'s better than Season 3 and Season 5, but nowhere close to Seasons 1, 2 and 4 Expand
  49. Oct 5, 2012
    I realize I'm a bit behind on the topic, but... we don't have Showtime so I am forced to wait for the DVD's. We have watched all of the prior episodes / season... and the last thing I remember watching is Dexter's wife being killed by Trinity and him walking into the bathroom to pick up the baby off the floor that was covered in blood.

So we get the first disc for S6, pop it in, and I

So we get the first disc for S6, pop it in, and I am COMPLETELY lost. Who's the blond chick?? Why is the baby suddenly a toddler? Did I miss a season? WTH? We turned it off within the first 5 minutes because I was certain we skipped discs or possibly an entire season.
  50. Oct 28, 2012
    This season started with a lot of promise but had a hard time living up to it. With an episode halfway through, "Nebraska", that we could have easily lived without this season was just a bit of a let down, that is until the last 10 minutes of the finale. If the rest of the season was like the finale, we would have had another season 4.
  51. Nov 9, 2012
    It couldn't have gone any deeper than it did since Hanks' character is a bit too insane for Dexter to relate to; however, the show is compelling as ever. It's unmissable.
  52. Dec 7, 2012
    Maybe critics gave it so much crap because this season is about religion based murders but I honestly think it's the second best season of the show (behind Season 4 of course). DDK (Doomsday Killer) is a very entertaining villain and gives Trinity a run for his money as the show's best villain.
  53. Apr 2, 2013
    Guest starring Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks Dexters sixth season finds Dexter Morgan on the hunt for a pair of serial killers, known as the Doomsday Killers, who are seemingly being inspired by stories from the Christian Bible. In fact these religious overtones are very much the theme of a season which, while not quite the train wreck some fans would want you to believe, undeniablyGuest starring Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks Dexters sixth season finds Dexter Morgan on the hunt for a pair of serial killers, known as the Doomsday Killers, who are seemingly being inspired by stories from the Christian Bible. In fact these religious overtones are very much the theme of a season which, while not quite the train wreck some fans would want you to believe, undeniably continues the shows decline into mediocrity.

Part of the problem lies with the overuse of these religious overtones but the largest issue is that while in its earlier seasons the writers always strived to retain some sense of plausibility making for tense viewing as Dexter Morgan kept his dark urges from his closest friends and family much of this has been eroded with each passing season. In its place cheap plot devices, that often find Dexter quickly discovering and dispatching yet another criminal that the LAPD seem to have missed or on some occasions killing people on the spur of the moment, yet still getting away with it, are becoming increasingly common. There are plenty of other examples of lazy writing, including characters constantly talking out loud to themselves just to explain things to the audience, that simply where not present when the show first hit the air.

A once great show is now really no better than the majority of other drama series on air and I have come to expect more from Dexter. If it is ever to return to being essential television once again its seventh season needs to return its sense of believability (please stop putting him in situations in which he escapes at the last minute!) and recapture what first attracted its viewers. This season’s final scene certainly hinted that the show may be willing to shake things up a little so I still hold out hope.
  54. Jul 5, 2013
    don't get me wrong i love Dexter and is my favourite tv show ever. michael c. hall jennifer carpenter are genius. the first seasons were masterpieces with the perfect combination of dark and fun. and the show was special because it was Different to all the others ones you have the point of view of the "bad guy" for starters a bad guy who was "in our side" so you can relate; thisdon't get me wrong i love Dexter and is my favourite tv show ever. michael c. hall jennifer carpenter are genius. the first seasons were masterpieces with the perfect combination of dark and fun. and the show was special because it was Different to all the others ones you have the point of view of the "bad guy" for starters a bad guy who was "in our side" so you can relate; this season is the start of bad writing they are trying too hard in making a polemic storyline and they lose the point, please i beg to the writer don't screw this up is a great show, put more attention to the writing!
    pd: sorry the english is not my language
  55. Jul 19, 2013
    over rated and falling apart. this season really stretched the disbelief past breaking point. the show got back some of its intrigue, but its hard to take it seriously as anything but melodrama at this point.
  56. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although this season was still interesting and a lot of fun to watch it was just much less interesting than the previous seasons. Unlike every other season the writing appeared to be lacking some on all fronts. The contrast of Dexter's brother appearing to him and Travis seeing the professor was interesting but other than that and Deb finding out Dexter's secret at the end of the season there's not too much to say on the interesting or innovative aspect for this season. Expand
  57. Aug 15, 2013
    The weakest effort in the show thus far, season 6 of Dexter pushes its way into deeper religiously inspired territory with great potential, yielding mediocre results due to its poorly casted main antagonist (his performance is cringe worthy), and weak writing plagued (no pun intended) with predictability.
    It seems as though the writers are straining to maintain the surprise effect they've achieved a few times in previous seasons by implementing one last "shock twist" that is so overused and so badly implemented it's more of a tack on than a story telling mechanic.
    Michael C. Hall's performance is our only redemptive factor remaining.
  58. Sep 24, 2013
    The infamous season 6. This season is known by fans for being terrible. In my opinion its not nearly as bad as people say. The religion theme was very cool, and brother Sam was a great supporting character. But this season was still far from perfect. It has one of the most predictable twists of all time, and of the villain played by Colin Hanks was just awful. The characters did veryThe infamous season 6. This season is known by fans for being terrible. In my opinion its not nearly as bad as people say. The religion theme was very cool, and brother Sam was a great supporting character. But this season was still far from perfect. It has one of the most predictable twists of all time, and of the villain played by Colin Hanks was just awful. The characters did very stupid things. and the sideplots for the side characters were terrible. But being said this is still an enjoyable season. Its definitely not the worst though, that is reserved for the atrociously bad Season 8. Expand
  59. Oct 19, 2013
    on the fifth season the series dropped slightly its high quality in this sixth season its quality increased again, this time the series has another great villain and another ending creepy.
  60. Dec 10, 2013
    I am a big 'Dexter' fan. The fifth season was a little let down but was still a good season. But the new killers for this season and the new tone were very boring and uninteresting. But I will say that some of the episodes were pretty good. Maybe season 7 will get better and change my opinion that this and the 5th seasons are mixed.
  61. Feb 22, 2014
    Talvez seja a hora do fim, Dexter já não impressiona como antes, o esforço para manter o fôlego é vã, e o que era um colosso aos poucos vai se transformando em um pequeno busto.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Dec 8, 2011
    If there's a TV writers' version of Stockholm syndrome, Dexter is Exhibit A.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Oct 3, 2011
    After a lively and appealingly hilarious premiere, Dexter goes entirely off the rails with two episodes hobbled by clumsy victims-of-the-week and then crushed with endless repetition of the core theme.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Oct 3, 2011
    Having peaked a few seasons back in the amazing John Lithgow season, Showtime's hit Dexter at least seems to be enjoying itself as year six kicks off.