Dexter : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
9.1

1. Jul 11, 2013
    Dexter is an enjoyable series that is constantly entertaining. There are several characters who are all brilliant in their own ways and of course Dexter who you go along his great journey of ridding the world of bad guys while ducking and diving Miami Metro of catching himself, the Bay Harbour Butcher.
    Certainly worth a watch, laughed plenty and loads of oh my god, oh my god" moments.
    I'm half way through season 6 and still enjoy it.
    Do it!
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    Dexter is an absolutely brilliant TV show. Dexter Morgan is the most loved serial killer ever and is absolutely deserving of many more awards. What more could you want in a tv show, it's absolutely fantastic. The writers are very smart and there are always suspenseful moments where I'm falling off my chair of excitement!
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    cant see how anyone could not like this show. awesome, suspenseful, sad, funny. cant believe its ending soon. if you haven't seen it get out there and rent every season and watch them all...TONIGHT!
  4. Jul 10, 2013
    Alongside Breaking Bad, Dexter is the best a TV show can offer you today with gripping story, powerful acting and a lot of plot twists. I can only wonder how the creators of these shows come up with such brilliant ideas.
  5. Mar 28, 2014
    I didn't start watching this show until after it had ended. I never thought I would of liked it, but after watching the very first episode I was hooked. I finished all 8 seasons in about a week and I have to say this show was one of my all time favorites. The character of Dexter is absolutely excellent, and is portrayed exceptionally well by Michael C. Hall. It is a bit dark and I supposeI didn't start watching this show until after it had ended. I never thought I would of liked it, but after watching the very first episode I was hooked. I finished all 8 seasons in about a week and I have to say this show was one of my all time favorites. The character of Dexter is absolutely excellent, and is portrayed exceptionally well by Michael C. Hall. It is a bit dark and I suppose it falls under the genre of Crime Drama, but more than anything else is about the struggles of someone with a mental illness.

What I liked most about this show though is that it didn't follow the normal cliche character montages. Dexter's awkward sensibility and deranged perception really make the show what it is. Towards the later seasons things get a bit weird and there are a few episodes where it seems like the story is falling apart and hanging by a thread, but in the end it always redeems itself. Cinematography is also well done, and there is a great cast of actors.
  6. Aug 15, 2013
    Dexter is a darkly comic character study of a deranged mind which proves to be an excellent start, and an excellent concept.
    There are quite a few flaws in the show's formula, mainly the lack of interesting characters or any kind of decent righting outside of the main, title character, and the villain he's after, but in this case, one great character is enough to pull the first season through.
    On top of its other few flaws, too much is revealed about our main "protagonist" right off the bat, eliminating any sense of mystery about the inner workings of what makes Dexter Morgan tick, which is a real shame given how mysterious a character Dexter is to everyone else on the outside.
    But, all things said, it's very enjoyable, and an excellent start.
  7. Sep 23, 2013
    A terribly done character study that pulls all the punches and never gives you what you want in the end of the show. The first four seasons were fine before it became a soapy mess of disgusting romance driven story lines that never fit well with the character. In the final season they miss all the chances to give you a great ending and EVERYTHING up. No character growth and the actingA terribly done character study that pulls all the punches and never gives you what you want in the end of the show. The first four seasons were fine before it became a soapy mess of disgusting romance driven story lines that never fit well with the character. In the final season they miss all the chances to give you a great ending and EVERYTHING up. No character growth and the acting degrades until you can barely watch. At the final season they totally up everything in the plot that kept everyone waiting especially with the revelations of Deb finding out about Dex. They quickly dissolve the aggression and drama that was stirred up in weak ways. The final season of Dexter is just an excuse to end the series. I feel like an idiot watching this crap after season 4. I'm extremely disappointed in this show. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. Expand
  8. Sep 24, 2013
    I really really loved this serie, but the last seasons seems kinda rushed to me, it was hard to follow the scenario directions, and the last episode just killed me, that's just an artistic suicide, I was expecting a dramatic ending, or maybe a naive, with no moral, but happy ending, but they just did so much non-sense, that it dropped Dexter from a 9 to a 6 to me, I'm very disappointed.
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    Dexter Season 1 is one of my of my favorite ever. Between Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, The Sopranos, and all of those shows, this season ranks with them for me. and in my opinion the best season. The acting is all amazing, especially Michael C Hall (Dexter) and Jennifer Carpenter (Deb). The plot is fantastic with an incredible villain, and some huge twists on his real identity. I suggestDexter Season 1 is one of my of my favorite ever. Between Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, The Sopranos, and all of those shows, this season ranks with them for me. and in my opinion the best season. The acting is all amazing, especially Michael C Hall (Dexter) and Jennifer Carpenter (Deb). The plot is fantastic with an incredible villain, and some huge twists on his real identity. I suggest this season to everyone. Expand
  10. Sep 26, 2013
    There was an air of disappointment as the season finale of Dexter came out, and I think one can now fairly say, the show has failed to live up to the expectations after a brilliant first season. The first season was boosted by an amazing new concept and caught the eye of many. Combine it with the splendid acting of Michael C.Hall (Dexter) & some superb direction and BOOM! We have theThere was an air of disappointment as the season finale of Dexter came out, and I think one can now fairly say, the show has failed to live up to the expectations after a brilliant first season. The first season was boosted by an amazing new concept and caught the eye of many. Combine it with the splendid acting of Michael C.Hall (Dexter) & some superb direction and BOOM! We have the recipe for an award winning show. But after the first few seasons, Dexter seemed to be getting away with everything. I didn't find season 5 & 6 to be particularly flattering. Nevertheless, both had a fascinating finale. That's what made Dexter special; it had a season long build up and then an unbelievably wonderful ending. Not that other shows don't, but here the build up was even more pronounced due the amazing finale of each season.

Coming back to the Dexter finale, it was disappointing to say the least and the writing was pretty ordinary. The writers decided to produce a lot of twists & turns at the eleventh hour and as expected, that didn't go quite well with the audience. Instead of adding so many twists and confusing the viewers with it, they could have focused on Saxon and let the viewers have some grip of the story line The way Debra died was the most amusing to me. One moment she was fine and next, she's suddenly being transferred to the ICU due to a blood clot in her brain. So basically, she died due to the doctor's incompetency to perform the surgery properly! lol. It perfectly depicted the disorientation inside the writer's mind. An alternate and a better end could have been the one where Saxon kills Dexter. After all, Dexter himself labeled Saxon as the perfect psychopath. As Dexter tried to juggle between his private and public lives, Saxon remained one step ahead of him throughout the season. Moreover, Dexter wasn't completely following Harry's code towards the end and had an inclination towards his life with Hannah and how he could give up killing. This made him much less of a threat to Saxon. He even let Saxon get off the hook once when he decided to call the cops instead killing him himself. Dexter was no longer driven by the smell of the blood while his opponent was smart and still motivated by blood. The initial impression of Saxon was one of an astute and a shrewd guy, but the way Dexter played him just by giving his video to the media left me perplexed. What else did he expect when turned up at Dexter's doorstep?! I think that was one big mistake by the writers of the show. I was once again dumbfounded when Saxon decided to go to the hospital all by himself to kill Debra. I thought that it was just a pretext to kill Saxon and end that chapter. Anyways, the story continued to Dexter killing Debra for her own good and then himself giving up on a chance to get back with Hannah in order to keep her safe from the life sucking monster he had become.

The fact that Dexter could survive the storm and carry on with his life as a lumberjack (or whatever he was :P) just baffled me. These kinds of scenes are well suited to The Dark Knight but not Dexter. After all, he is a psychopath and not a freaking superhero! I have always remembered the different seasons by their finale but this one missed the boat. Dexter riding into the storm and dying would have been a nice ending but definitely not the best. Whether you like to admit or not, Saxon should have killed Dexter. And that would have been the perfect ending!

11. Nov 15, 2013
    Dexter um amável maníaco homicida, um psicopata que usa criminosos assassinos para saciar sua sede de sangue, apos matar ele corta suas vitimas em pedaços coloca em sacos e laça no fundo do mar, depois vai pra casa viver sua vida de cidadão comum. A serie não abusa de sua premissa e constrói personagens secundários de grande personalidade criando uma teia dramática incrível.
  12. Oct 19, 2013
    dexter the first season was almost perfect, she holds you with the story of a serial killer who kills serial killers and then comes another serial killer and end the season this mysterious serial killer makes a revelation of breathtaking.
  13. Oct 19, 2013
    Série espectacular, só não mereceu 10 por conta de seu final muito decepcionante, mesmo assim recomendo pra quem ainda não assistiu. MUITO BOM MESMO
  14. Oct 27, 2013
    Great show but too many seasons in my opinion. The last season is terrible, the show must be ended so many time before. By the way, i really love the moral dichotomy of: is Dexter a hero or pure evil?
  15. Nov 17, 2013
    I finally started watching 'Dexter'. It is great. Original,clever, & unexpected twists. That is all I really have to say about this really interesting show.
  16. Nov 14, 2013
    Good show, stuck with it for quite a few years, the first few series are the best by miles but the others hold up too with the exception of the disastrous final series which was a very boring, predictable end to what had been an exciting series.
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    This is one of my favorite show. Sure not every season is a pure 5 out of 5 stars, but all in all its amazing. Michael C. Hall is amazing and its my believe that this is his best role ever.
  18. Jan 2, 2014
    I can't give Dexter a 10 because of how horrid season 8 was.

The previous 7 seasons are amazing although the consensus is that the show began it's demise after season 4.

My favorite seasons were 3 and 7.

No TV show has ever hooked me like seasons 1 and 2, though.

A must watch for sure.
  19. Jan 10, 2014
    Dexter is a really good show and I will encourage people to see this intense, violent, and drama of a show. reason why I say this is because "dexter" is a good show and the suspense should keep you through the season and keep you making guesses. the main source of the show is of course the acting, without Micheal C. Hall, there would be no show. Micheal portrays Dexter Morgan perfectly, itDexter is a really good show and I will encourage people to see this intense, violent, and drama of a show. reason why I say this is because "dexter" is a good show and the suspense should keep you through the season and keep you making guesses. the main source of the show is of course the acting, without Micheal C. Hall, there would be no show. Micheal portrays Dexter Morgan perfectly, it catches dexter self and true self. even the cast is good but more importantly dexter himself. the only have one thing to say bad about this show and that is it ended. Expand
  20. Jan 15, 2014
    From start to finish, this show has it all. It has a villain, a hero, and a victim just like most other shows, although what sets 'Dexter' apart is that all three of these characteristics can be found in Dexter himself. It draws you in and immediately makes you feel sympathy for him as well as adoration for the work that he does. Truly a great show.
  21. Jan 21, 2014
    Dexter is one of those shows that will make you wonder about the people around you, a fantastic show. You will watch it non-stop guarantee that for sure.
  22. Jan 26, 2014
    No way to give a 10 after the last 8th awful season. It destroyed the myth of one of the best screenplays ever. The last episode then was the apotheosis of absurd. I can't describe all the incongruity in it. In few words: how to ruine a wonderful serie in one step. Crazy absurd awful... can't find other adjectives.
  23. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is by far one of, if not, favorite shoes ever. I was upset it ended at season eight. Very unique and interesting. It took me till this year (2014) to watch them. Once I started I continued to watch until I seen all episodes. I would even watch episodes during work. I would encourage those that put the show together to continue with the series and or make a movie. However, Great job guys on the work. Expand
  24. Feb 6, 2014
    Just watched the first season on Netflix. Hall's acting and the writing for his character, the dialog/monologue I mean, are brilliant. Some of the plot twists are a little far fetched, even if you accept the basic (highly unlikely) premise. Like Rudy/Brian was really able to scuba dive, find and bring up one of Dexter's victims? And I understand some people's discomfort with shows likeJust watched the first season on Netflix. Hall's acting and the writing for his character, the dialog/monologue I mean, are brilliant. Some of the plot twists are a little far fetched, even if you accept the basic (highly unlikely) premise. Like Rudy/Brian was really able to scuba dive, find and bring up one of Dexter's victims? And I understand some people's discomfort with shows like this pushing the envelope and perhaps desensitizing the audience. But it doesn't really help that problem if I don't watch it on Netflix, and I'm too old to desensitize! Expand
  25. Mar 26, 2014
    Excellent first season - I read the books and this is definitely superlative to the source material - I'm sure even the author would agree... don't you?
  26. Jun 4, 2014
    The first was truly the best. Season 1 was Dexter at his darkest, a chilling monster with a demented moral code. It also ends perfectly, unlike all the seasons which followed it. Great television. If you're new to the series I would even go so far as to suggest you treat Dexter as a miniseries and only watch this season. (if not, at least stop after season 4.)
  27. Sep 4, 2014
    It is mind captivating, and has a wonderful twist in each individual season. The seasons decline in terms of being well thought out, but even with that, it is still one of the best shows to have been ever made. Period. You are pulled in with a killer plot (pun) and a very well acted cast. You couldnt ask for a better, and well rounded show...
  28. Jul 9, 2014
    I just started watching Dexter on Netflix and find it to be quite captivating. I like that it can be of suspense/thriller but still involve comedy. It is a good show and I shall continue to watch it.
  29. Sep 17, 2014
    I can see how people liked this show. I watched a few episodes and it's interesting and I guess it's okay. I just never really got into it or found it mind blowingly amazing or particularly good I guess....meh
  30. Oct 13, 2014
    This series Envelopes a dark side of humanity that exists in all of us...all of us have a desire to kill to some degree, whether it be when we hypothesize about avenging a family member or any other situation that would warrant us to kill we can all relate to the "dark passenger"
  31. Oct 23, 2014
    Top notch show in my books... although the last season was somewhat disappointing, and the final episode SUCKED in comparison to the shows that were popular/ ending around the same time. Much love to season 4 though, so epic.
  32. Oct 13, 2014
    Dexter first season is smart from the begining to the end, it suprises you and keeps you awake with it's creativity and non-predictable story, it just introduces you the great actor that Michael C. Hall is, by his face you know that Dexter is empty inside, a hollow monster that lives a lie trying to share his feeling with someone that could possibly deal with his truth without wanting toDexter first season is smart from the begining to the end, it suprises you and keeps you awake with it's creativity and non-predictable story, it just introduces you the great actor that Michael C. Hall is, by his face you know that Dexter is empty inside, a hollow monster that lives a lie trying to share his feeling with someone that could possibly deal with his truth without wanting to kill him, Dexter is my new favorite one. Expand
  33. Mar 3, 2015
    Dark, spooky, and the biggest puzzle-solving show done right with unique twists and turns that are very hard to predict!
    Michael Hall fits the "psychotic" character better than anyone else! 10/10 for him just taking the role!
  34. Dec 18, 2016
    Первая половина сезона скучна, порой даже слишком, вторая намного лучше, но всё же иногда проседает.
    На некоторых персонажей просто наплевать, хотя их подают как основных, но когда сцены с ними ещё и затягивают, то хочется просто промотать.
    Из плюсов: Хорошая картинка, неожиданный поворот в конце, Декстер, музыка. В целом неплохо.
    Из плюсов:
    Хорошая картинка, неожиданный поворот в конце, Декстер, музыка.
    В целом неплохо.
  35. Jun 11, 2015
    A really great first season. Based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, this season is pretty unlike the others (mostly). Dexter, being based on the interpretation of Lindsay, is more cold and authentic sociopathic. Later in the series he becomes more empathetic and remorseful for his actions and how they affect those he truly does love. Personally, I prefer that Dexter -A really great first season. Based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, this season is pretty unlike the others (mostly). Dexter, being based on the interpretation of Lindsay, is more cold and authentic sociopathic. Later in the series he becomes more empathetic and remorseful for his actions and how they affect those he truly does love. Personally, I prefer that Dexter - but this Dexter is cool too. Just different. I'm glad the direction of the show and character changed though.

Best Episode(s): Dexter/Born Free.
    Worst Episode: Return to Sender.
  36. Sep 1, 2015
    Dexter is violent, dark, and showcases an unsettling side of humanity. With the titular character narrating his own life as the story progresses, this show adds an uncomfortable sense of intimacy to the mix, which the charming Michael C. Hall only uses to his advantage. That being said, those who can buy into its deliberately brutal tone and unconventional style will find season one fascinating.
  37. Nov 13, 2015
    So I have heard about this show for years, and in my experience it was a sleeper hit. (Sort of like Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" -- I never understood what the big deal was until I feel down the rabbithole and became a rabid fan. Same experience, very different genres lol.)

I sort of thought it would be like a superhero/vigilante thing, and I guess the premise didn't really sound that interesting to me.

But on a lark last weekend I gave it a try--I'm only in the second season now, but I have been SO impressed. Firstly, Michael Hall is brilliant. I also think Rita's type of character could have very very easily been one I found boring or annoying, but the way that actress does Rita is just spot on. I'm not sure if it is the acting, the writing, or the masterful pitch that infects every show, but they did a great job. I also really never expected the plot to be so complex or unexpected. I am not a person that gets surprised a lot--I'm usually that jerk that gives away the ending--but Dexter keeps me guessing. (With the aside that I did guess about his brother in the first season, but I think it is safe to say they foreshadowed enough that the intent was for the audience to know more than the characters in the final plot arc.)

And in the second season at least so far they went in SUCH an unexpected direction-a serial killer experience performing issues--it seems brilliant and obvious in retrospect that it would be a great angle to explore, but I certainly never would have thought of it.

If you are a skeptic like me I would seriously recommend giving it a try, it is worth it.
  38. Jan 12, 2016
    The show is unique, different, witty, gruesome and scary. A great show to watch with your friends and fam. Very original, who thinks of a serial-killer hero.
  39. Jan 13, 2016
    Weirdly although the main character seems a bit odd you kinda start feeling for him. This show has a very bold and never seen before plot with some major twists and turns.
  40. May 8, 2016
    Amazing season with an amazing antagonist, full of shocks and surprises, twists and turns. The main protagonist Dexter is an amazing character who is not your typical protagonist.
  41. Jun 27, 2016
    Centered on a forensic technician/vigilante serial killer,the first season does not disappoint.It's a bit chilly and
    some cases might be boring but all of it is well compensated by Dexter's character and his views on those cases
    Do watch if you are into a good yet dramatic psychological study .
  42. Apr 16, 2017
    Dexter is an amazing show. He is definitely my favorite serial killer. This season was awesome. Michael C. Hall is perfect. It is a great show and I love watching.
  43. Mar 22, 2017
    The first season of Dexter is by far my favorite season out of the show, as it's consistently tense, thrilling, and wonderfully dark all the way through. It definitely had me invested, and i wish the quality and impact the first season had stayed consistent throughout the series.
  44. Apr 2, 2017
    It is hard for me to get sucked into a TV show so quickly but Dexter had no trouble doing that right away. Through its dark and mysterious plot line, Dexter leaves viewers in anticipation of what happens next. The character development goes in depth every season and only gets more interesting. Dexter is a must watch if you love anticipation, suspense, thrill, and a little bit of darkness.
  45. Apr 11, 2017
    The story behind Dexter made me an addict right after finishing the first episode. The interpretation from Michael C. Hall is amazing and i wouldn't find anyone else better to represent that role. The biggest problem i've found on this TV Show is the amount of seasons. One of the main problem of this industry is keep selling what we want to see and they ended up ruining it a bit. The lastThe story behind Dexter made me an addict right after finishing the first episode. The interpretation from Michael C. Hall is amazing and i wouldn't find anyone else better to represent that role. The biggest problem i've found on this TV Show is the amount of seasons. One of the main problem of this industry is keep selling what we want to see and they ended up ruining it a bit. The last seasons are poor and unfortunately changed the valuation i wanted to give to Dexter. Although, it deserves a positive note in my opinion Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The morals of this provocative show are as intriguing as its cases.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Michael Endelman
    Though his cliche hard-boiled voice-over doesn't work, much of this series... does. [29 Sep 2006, p.73]
  3. Dexter treats extreme violence much in the same way that GoodFellas did: as something horrifying, intoxicating, seductive and thrilling, all at the same time.