Elementary : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 27, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.5

1. Sep 27, 2012
    A fairly generic procedural crime drama that uses Holmes and Watson in name only. Other than the names these characters are indistinguishable from the myriad of similar characters on similar shows. Just another case of the week show, only this one uses a big license to get people to pay attention. Without the name I don't think anyone would care at all, and even with the name I certainlyA fairly generic procedural crime drama that uses Holmes and Watson in name only. Other than the names these characters are indistinguishable from the myriad of similar characters on similar shows. Just another case of the week show, only this one uses a big license to get people to pay attention. Without the name I don't think anyone would care at all, and even with the name I certainly do not. If you love procedurals then I am sure this will bring enjoyment, but if you are in it for Sherlock Holmes then you will be sadly disappointed as he is not here. Watch (or rewatch) the superior BBC show Sherlock. Collapse
  2. Sep 28, 2012
    An unremarkable police procedural that bears little resemblance to the Conan Doyle Sherlock (or Watson), except for the noncredibly keen observations followed by the inevitably accurate deductions. What annoys me most about this show is the hard to understand machine gun like dialogue coming from the Holmes character. I'm 72 years old, but my hearing can't be that bad.
  3. Oct 12, 2012
    I'm not going to compare the both versions of the Sherlock because they both are too different when considered solely. Elementary has both good and bad sides. Good sides being Jonny Lee Miller's amazing performance as Sherlock Holmes, and good overall direction of the show. Bad sides being the whole idea of having a female support to Sherlock Holmes, I'm not impressed by that because itI'm not going to compare the both versions of the Sherlock because they both are too different when considered solely. Elementary has both good and bad sides. Good sides being Jonny Lee Miller's amazing performance as Sherlock Holmes, and good overall direction of the show. Bad sides being the whole idea of having a female support to Sherlock Holmes, I'm not impressed by that because it sucks. Additionally, this series doesn't have any slow-motion scenes/shots similar to BBC's version and Robert Downey, Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes movies. Overall, I can still say that I am going to keep on watching this series because "Sherlock Holmes", I wouldn't miss that! Expand
  4. May 30, 2013
    This show is worth investigating if you are looking for a crime/mystery series that deviates from the established norms of CSI and its contemporaries. As a fan of the Sherlock Holmes movies and the BBC Sherlock television series, I find Elementary to be a much looser interpretation of the Holmes universe. This is not necessarily a good thing, as the changes serve to drag down what wasThis show is worth investigating if you are looking for a crime/mystery series that deviates from the established norms of CSI and its contemporaries. As a fan of the Sherlock Holmes movies and the BBC Sherlock television series, I find Elementary to be a much looser interpretation of the Holmes universe. This is not necessarily a good thing, as the changes serve to drag down what was previously a great series (the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind). Regardless of what anyone else says, the casting of Watson as a woman negatively impacts the unique Holmes-Watson relationship, which was one of the most enjoyable features of the original series (for me personally, this decision was an unforgivable sin). Holmes' deductive skills also suffer, as many of his deductions are unrealistic or lack consideration for possible alternative conclusions (I never felt this way with the BBC series). On top of this, the show generally lacks the level of clever writing found in other renditions of Holmes (it is not awful, but it's not good either). I will continue to watch Elementary, but only to hold me over until the BBC series resumes. Expand
  5. Sep 28, 2012
    I gave it to the first commercial. Police show with eccentric detective, whose eccentricities have been worn thin. Holmes was great before I was born and modernizing him makes him look......yawn.
  6. Oct 27, 2012
    I don't mind a modern "Sherlock Holmes" variation and I like both Miller and Liu. Although in this case, given Holmes' personality, the show could also be called "Sherlock House".
    Miller is the one who fuels the show with energy, something you can't say about Lucy Liu.
    Sadly, there's no immediate chemistry between the two and Watson, albeit her backstory isn't a very interesting character and her motivation for assisting Holmes with his cases is not very compelling.
    But far more problematic is the fact that Holmes' observations and deductions only come across as razor sharp because the cops are depicted as incompetent fools, only standing around, stating the obvious and not seeing one bit past what's apparent to the eye.
    A high-level bank CEO dead in his big clean apartment with a heroin filled needle in his arm.
    The scene screams "murder staged as suicide". What do the cops say? "Accidental death". Oh come on, guys!
    I can look past the fact that Holmes' deductions often seem arbitrary and that others (e.g. the coroner) could come up with the same results and conclusions based on their own competence and work.
    But Holmes looking like a genius because the cops around him are seemingly idiots that do no police work is a weakness that's hard to swallow week after week.
    Thanks to Miller, the show still is watchable and it has the potential to be more the it is now, and that is just an average procedural.
  7. Oct 2, 2014
    In trying too hard to be original this show just seems to want to re-write the original characters in a contemporary way but it s missing the mark. I'm sure the producers were trying to make him different than the Cumberbatch Sherlock but went way overboard on it. Here Sherlock Holmes is a recovering drug addict, he's unclean and unshaven most of the time, is a slob, lives in a dump andIn trying too hard to be original this show just seems to want to re-write the original characters in a contemporary way but it s missing the mark. I'm sure the producers were trying to make him different than the Cumberbatch Sherlock but went way overboard on it. Here Sherlock Holmes is a recovering drug addict, he's unclean and unshaven most of the time, is a slob, lives in a dump and looks like a bum. He's got a skilled surgeon who lost her confidence who is now a sponsor/social worker for recovering drug addict but then converts to detective work. For me that s a stretch. Now there s also Miller's robotic, unemotional rendering of the character that grates on my nerves (when i can understand what he's saying)
    Notwitstanding those character flaws, the stories themselves are entertaining and the supporting cast is adequate. I don't see this show having a very long run.
  8. Nov 17, 2014
    Just finished the first season and am not itching to see the second -- although I will probably see it. This obviously LOW budget sleuth drama is somewhat entertaining. Interesting to have a female Watson and nemesis. Some story lines are better than others. I LOVE Gregson. It is hard to buy Miller as Sherlock (Miller looks so emaciated and pasty). His acting is fine but he exudesJust finished the first season and am not itching to see the second -- although I will probably see it. This obviously LOW budget sleuth drama is somewhat entertaining. Interesting to have a female Watson and nemesis. Some story lines are better than others. I LOVE Gregson. It is hard to buy Miller as Sherlock (Miller looks so emaciated and pasty). His acting is fine but he exudes absolutely no charisma. Lucy Liu is ok but doesn't emote as much as she should. I like it a tad better than Sherlock which became too fast paced, too techy -- like watching a smart phone. I condemned it after the second season although I could watch Benedict forever. Elementary -- is not bad and not good -- it is well -- elementary. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Nancy DeWolf Smith
    Oct 5, 2012
    There's enough room left in the genre for another modern pairing, and Mr. Miller and Ms. Liu bring something memorably new to each character.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2012
    [A] highly satisfying update. [8 Oct 2012, p.57]
    This is a slight but watchable show, yet more brain candy from CBS's vending machine.