Enlightened : Season 2

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 10, 2011
Season #: 1, 2
7.6

1. Jun 8, 2013
    I will never understand how this got this high in critic scores. I just saw it really likable at first, then it just became annoying. HBO, you did a great job at first, then it just disappeared. I just don't know what to say right now.
  2. Feb 11, 2013
    OMG, this show sucks! Who wants to watch this bag full of crazy we call woman? The script is utter hippie-dippie tripe. Enlightened? No. I could feel the IQ points being sucked out of me as the hour ticked away. Men, don't let your ladies talk you into this one. They slobber over the show because of a woman they can relate to and they'll want you to relate too. Yeah, right. Dern is goodOMG, this show sucks! Who wants to watch this bag full of crazy we call woman? The script is utter hippie-dippie tripe. Enlightened? No. I could feel the IQ points being sucked out of me as the hour ticked away. Men, don't let your ladies talk you into this one. They slobber over the show because of a woman they can relate to and they'll want you to relate too. Yeah, right. Dern is good as the neurotic schizoid torn between her true self (read lunatic woman) and the enlightened zen-master hippie she professes to be. But the years haven't been kind to Ms. Dern. Don't be a sack-less eunuch. Turn the channel to Game of Thrones or Walking Dead instead.
    PS Proof, once again, that the critics will praise any garbage about an empowered woman.
  3. Sep 23, 2015
    Before I talk about this show, I'm compelled to tell you what brought me to metacritic to write the review. I appreciate that metacritic leans towards a more diligent critique of media content. While Metacritic review compilation can lack the full fury of all critic consensus, the scale and users such as myself can gauge which content is worth consumption which art is worth appreciating. IBefore I talk about this show, I'm compelled to tell you what brought me to metacritic to write the review. I appreciate that metacritic leans towards a more diligent critique of media content. While Metacritic review compilation can lack the full fury of all critic consensus, the scale and users such as myself can gauge which content is worth consumption which art is worth appreciating. I hold Metacritics scale to the same standard as RottenTomatoes. I value what users on metacritic has to same more though. BUT THE REASON WHY I SIGNED UP AFTER YEARS is to say. **** this. show.

I am an avid, I mean avid admirer of HBO content. I am forgiving of some HBO programming that doesn't hit the mark every time. I was on HBO GO and realized I was a viewer of as some point with 32 of the 50 something odd shows available. I trust HBO even when their shows don't always work. The Sopranos is the greatest HBO epic, the Wire consumed me, Six Feet Under hit those emotions, True Blood allowed my masculinity to give in to the supernatural romance, Game of Thrones quenched my thirst. I've seen their mini series, I've seen HBO documentaries, I can't name all of what I love about HBO. BUT.

I was duped by metacritic scores and my some fan base for the show Enlightened. I watched it all just to cringe. I cringed from episode one to episode 18. What the **** was HBO thinking. What were the critics thinking. This is one of their weakest shows ever made. Problem: the main character has no redeemable qualities. She is this fallacy of what she wants to represent ion ever episode. I can tell HBO cancelled this **** fast because they knew it wouldn't reach their viewer base. The show is not funny aside from some of the most unassuming characters providing some laughs. Let me explain since this show has some political themes. I am a Buddhist, I am a socialist, I am America, I am white and pastey as hell. Never have I been more offended or annoyed my an annoying and anger white privleged woman with no redeemable qualities. I sympathized with her male counterpart in her affair, with her former co-workers, with her new coworkers, with the CORPORATION because she was just the most obnoxious woman. I felt sorry for her ex-husband. He probably gave the best performance in this show.

This show was so bland, so cringy, so leftist. It must have been an ironic liberal show to make new-age kombucha drinking yoga people look like jesters. The main character, who is the focal point of the WHOLE god damn show, was so ****ing dumb. I feel bad for the actress because while I admired her in other works, he character's nasty, mean spirited, sad bull**** guised in new-age happiness and endless epiphany self help self worth bull****. She has been redefined.

Maybe I'm being duped by watching this and it has become totally ironic, but this show it just strange. I have a large suspension of disbelief but nothing about this show felt realistic or insightful.

Don't waste your goddamn time. Be thankful HBO caught their error fast and cancelled after two seasons.

TL;DR. One of the worst female leads in a series, metacritic & HBO made this show. They should feel bad. I want a refund. haha there is no refund. shame on me. I'm a sucker.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jan 17, 2013
    The show is an absolute original. [28 Jan 2013, p.44]
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Jan 17, 2013
    The show's must-see second season is one of the best stories I've experienced in a long time.
  3. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Jan 11, 2013
    Enlightened comes through with a triumphant eight-episode arc that broadens its characters, quickens the pace and finishes strong.