• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 9, 2014
Season #: 1, 2
6.7

1. Jul 11, 2014
    The premiere has a nice sheen of tech gloss on it, but I've got real plausibility problems with what they're doing. First, Molly Woods is a highly regarded, trained astronaut and yet she lets an obvious alien form, stereotypically viewable as a former lover, approach and touch her. Second, everyone with any tech chops knows that either (a) she would not even have the option to deleteThe premiere has a nice sheen of tech gloss on it, but I've got real plausibility problems with what they're doing. First, Molly Woods is a highly regarded, trained astronaut and yet she lets an obvious alien form, stereotypically viewable as a former lover, approach and touch her. Second, everyone with any tech chops knows that either (a) she would not even have the option to delete camera footage, or (b) that such a deletion was logged as an intentional act; for heaven's sake, the delete command asked for confirmation! So this is just sloppy screenwriting and cannot be forgiven because it poisons anything that derives from it. Third, Harmon comes back from the dead(?!) and cryptically warns her not to trust anyone. Jeez, is this script straight from The X-Files or what?! I wanted to like this series, I really did, but these plot gaffes betray its former potential since they're not taking the critical element of plausibility seriously. Expand
  2. Aug 22, 2014
    I'm good with Halle's part about the weird pregnancy, ghost of old boyfriend, evil gov't men, etc. Decent srotyline. Don't need the battery kid and her husband. It's a robot for Pete's sake. All that tucking him in & the husband's behavior is lame. I may not last because of that.
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    Extant tries to act like its something its not, using well-known actors to camouflage its hollow and perplexing narrative. And despite it trying to come off as if its innovative, the whole show feels very hackneyed .
  4. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premier got my attention. I love Sci-Fi, Halle Berry is starring in it, it must have something to it. Cool robot kid (rise of the machines kinda thing may happen), Aliens? that look like dead friends/relatives impregnating or otherwise probing people ( could be fun to watch ). But alas, all those good possibilities gone by episode 3 due to mediocre acting and same old-same old scripting. The acting is self explanatory as for the scripting it this that gets me. An astronaut comes back from space after a solo mission and it turns out shes preggers, but lets not tell anyone and she gets her government employed doctor to cover for her! Lets let the alien baby be a surprise for everybody. Also, I watch the tapes and now see that there was nobody there and I have some abnormality in my brain but I'm going to keep this a secret from the people that can help me because I'm curious to see where this goes. Hmmm...How about a little more realistic script where we see these people freak out. Almost everyone I know can't keep even the littlest secret yet most shows use this tired piece of you know what to....I don't know why they keep using it, its stupid. Anyway, enough of my ranting, the show lost me and I don't expect it to go very far. To bad. Expand
  5. Aug 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This started as a potentially exciting new series. Sci-Fi, mystery, thriller - good ingredients for a TV show. However, it suffers from a unbelievably slow plot line, terrible dialogue and the direction of the show feels lost.

There are many obvious plot holes which are never explained leaving the viewer wondering what's going on and deeply frustrated. The biggest one is why is her house not bugged?

The main character Molly unfortunately, is either being utterly naive or incredibly stupid for an astronaut to not realise what's going on around her and for some reason has giant balls of bravery when it comes to confronting armed people with machine guns and grenades with no more than her assertive voice protecting her.

The other main focus of the show is Molly's A.I. son, Ethan. Again, the intrigue is there but he's just very creepy and it feels like a retold story of 'Skynet' from the Terminator series.

The writers need to add some energy and rhythm to the series if it has a chance of surviving.
  6. Aug 8, 2014
    Too slow and as a consequence boring. I've now stopped watching as I only see one end to this, which is that the show will be canceled sooner rather than later. With this type of story, there's never gonna be a satisfying conclusion either way, so no reason to waste time on it.
  7. Jul 30, 2014
    A new suspense sci-fi series and it's with Halle Berry.
    That made me want to look into it.
    The series starts out interesting but there's one question right at the beginning: Why is this a series with a woman having something strange happened to her in a space mission while her husband has developed an android boy that lives with them as their son at home? These are two themes
    A new suspense sci-fi series and it's with Halle Berry.
    That made me want to look into it.

These are two themes that absolutely warrant their own shows, respectively.
    Why put them into one show with them having apparently nothing to do with each other, storywise?

I immediately got the suspicion, that they don't have enough material for either storyline so they put
    both into one show.
    If I don't learn soon enough what the space theme and the artificial life form theme have to do with each other,
    I'll stick to my suspicion.

The plot itself feels stretched out. It relies heavily on suspense and atmosphere while things
    really take time to get going.
    Honestly, the first three episodes I saw would have taken half an hour if that were a movie.
    I wonder if the android boy is only there because you want to have 'family issues' in the show.

All in all the show is acceptable, but not compelling.
    It gives itself a lot of time to develop, maybe too much for some people to stick with it.

I'll give it a couple of episodes more, but if the pace doesn't pick up, I'm out.
  8. Sep 22, 2014
    "Extant" is mildly addicting (which made me watch episodes back to back on Wednesdays from 9-11), but the fact that it has an extremely hard to follow storyline made me skip out on the series before the finale. It was a nice affair while it lasted, but I don't see it coming back next year.

Bottom-Line: Missing one episode will confuse you as to what's going on -- watching all episodes will still confuse you.
  9. Jul 24, 2014
    The concept is very interesting, allowing the writers to explore ethics questions about our scientific capabilities versus our humanity. With such fertile ground there is much to plow through. However, the writing, acting and directing leaves me with a feeling that everyone is just a little too tired to move through at an engaging pace. The storyline and plot could be interesting. For me,The concept is very interesting, allowing the writers to explore ethics questions about our scientific capabilities versus our humanity. With such fertile ground there is much to plow through. However, the writing, acting and directing leaves me with a feeling that everyone is just a little too tired to move through at an engaging pace. The storyline and plot could be interesting. For me, the pacing is off, the dialog and interactions are too light to keep me engaged for any length of time. I hope they employ someone to help them fix what could be a promising show. They have a great cast so the talent is available but the chemistry, timing, writing and direction feel lax. Expand
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    Love love love Halle Berry but bored bored bored after the 2nd episode. Another great concept show but I don't see it lasting. You have seen most of the scenes in different tv shows or movies.
  11. Aug 8, 2014
    Started out with an interesting premise and well acted by Halle Berry. But now that we are into the meat of the series the writing has slipped dramatically.
    This is the standard way that the major networks always treat Sci-fi.
    I hope they can bring it back up but so far it continues to be predictable and gets less well written each episode.
  12. Aug 21, 2014
    REALLY!

To predictable to obvious. Acting not top notch. Its going to take more than Halle to make this interesting to me. An unpredictable story line is a good start.
  13. Sep 4, 2014
    there is production value, beautiful scenes- but it is predictable and the acting is not alive. Wooden performances from good actors all around. Characters couldnt be cut more stereotypically. The only thing that that one can get hooked ( if not not fan of HB) is the mystery what is actually going on. Not enough for a good tv-serie of nowadays. Wake up directors - even if futuristic, itthere is production value, beautiful scenes- but it is predictable and the acting is not alive. Wooden performances from good actors all around. Characters couldnt be cut more stereotypically. The only thing that that one can get hooked ( if not not fan of HB) is the mystery what is actually going on. Not enough for a good tv-serie of nowadays. Wake up directors - even if futuristic, it must live and breathe. Fasten the tempo, the first two episodes could have been easily one. Expand
  14. Apr 1, 2015
    Wooden presentation, dull monologues, illogical character decisions and just enough plot inconstancy to get on the wrong side of my suspension of disbelief. I cannot think of a single positive reason why I've bothered wasting my time with this series, I keep expecting something exciting or gripping to occur and each episode leaves me wishing I'd spent the time pickling eggs, or anything...Wooden presentation, dull monologues, illogical character decisions and just enough plot inconstancy to get on the wrong side of my suspension of disbelief. I cannot think of a single positive reason why I've bothered wasting my time with this series, I keep expecting something exciting or gripping to occur and each episode leaves me wishing I'd spent the time pickling eggs, or anything... anything but having to watch this. Expand
  15. Jul 9, 2014
    Extant's pilot show feels tired and uneven, like the director couldn't quite figure out what tone the series should have. Rather than a narrowly focused, tight narrative, Halle Berry's mostly tolerable performance bounces around the loose confines of a show that doesn't seem to know what it's supposed to be.

It's not all the bad direction. Extant's plot lumbers around knocking over the

It's not all the bad direction. Extant's plot lumbers around knocking over the furniture rather than finessing anything. Extant obviously wants to build on shows like Under the Dome or Helix, but instead its pilot feels like it's trying to stuff all the plot points for the whole first season into an hour. Indeed, the most nuanced performance in the whole hour comes from Helix regular Hiroyuki Sanada, essentially recapping his better performance in Helix for the benefit of people who don't watch Syfy.

I'm not going to give up on the show immediately, but Extant doesn't feel like it has a lot to offer that hasn't been done before, better.
  16. Jul 30, 2014
    Obvious fans, or fawns, of Halle Berry find much to like in this cliche-ridden, exciting as a wake, totally predictable, caricature populated show, that suggests those fans were focused on the undeniably pleasant to look at Berry, but oblivious to the tired plot, embarrassingly wooden acting, except by the Humanix, and hackneyed scripts. I like to look at Berry, too, but couldn't bear toObvious fans, or fawns, of Halle Berry find much to like in this cliche-ridden, exciting as a wake, totally predictable, caricature populated show, that suggests those fans were focused on the undeniably pleasant to look at Berry, but oblivious to the tired plot, embarrassingly wooden acting, except by the Humanix, and hackneyed scripts. I like to look at Berry, too, but couldn't bear to watch/listen to her deliver her adolescent lines with as much emotion as a still life. The supporting actors don't provide much of that, either. All in all, I managed to make it through one and one-half shows before deleting them and cancelling the series. It might improve, certainly, but in the meantime, time will be better spent reading. Expand
  17. Jul 18, 2014
    Extant is another case of combing ideas and trying to pass it off as something new. Examples are a robot kid (A.I.) and seeing dead people in space (Event Horizon). It's all a bit dull and will need an injection of originality to garner any kind of following.
  18. Jul 10, 2014
    Excellent start. It is not much of a secret that there are reflections here of "2010", "AI - Artificial Intelligence" and "Solaris" but I can live with that. Considering the level of writing on many of the new network summer shows, "Extant" is a stand-out. Time will tell. I think Halle Berry will carry her part of the show. Let's hope the writers can do the same.
  19. Jul 14, 2014
    Not yet sold on this one. There are plot flaws that I find rather unbelievable. Seriously, a lone astronaut on year long mission has the ability to manually delete surveillance footage in the station she's occupying and lie about it and get away with that? How sloppy are the software developers and managers of this future space program to allow something like that? Most existing systemsNot yet sold on this one. There are plot flaws that I find rather unbelievable. Seriously, a lone astronaut on year long mission has the ability to manually delete surveillance footage in the station she's occupying and lie about it and get away with that? How sloppy are the software developers and managers of this future space program to allow something like that? Most existing systems nowadays would log the manual deletion if it was allowed at all. I'd also think that anything that goes into the computer on the station would also be immediately forwarded on to Earth. Might seem like picking nits and I know I'm supposed to suspend disbelief for the sake of entertainment, but I do find it a bit annoying. Her best friend being her official doctor seems like a bad idea too administratively. So, ok, the future space program is going to be run by sloppy managers with no sense of backups, security, or common sense. I guess that's plausible considering the current state of NASA etc.

The acting is pretty good over all. The kid does a good job of being an unlikeable/creepy little robot boy. He gives me flashbacks to the original Damien movie. His "dad'/creator is possibly less likeable in my opinion. Seems like an over-sensitive jerk and get easily offended by reasonable questions and only has insults and combative responses when the obvious questions get asked. He can't be very bright if he didn't see them coming, also it makes him a dangerous person to allow to play around building a new race of beings to directly compete with mankind. His Q&A with the potential investors in his little project seemed like the typical kind of debate where when one side doesn't have a good answer or an answer they want to admit, they just start calling the person who asked the question names. If you don't 100% believe everything out of the mouth of a single zealot-scientist you must be an ignorant caveman etc.

Not sure where they are going with this one. Is it going to be a catch-all series with 101 different sub-plots like the X-files? You've got possible aliens, robots, mad-scientists, evil administrators, possibly evil immortal rich guys, etc. is it going to coordinate or be a hodgepodge? I'd like to see some genius script writing show up in the coming episodes to tie it all together but I'm not going to hold my breath. Been dissapointed way too many times.

So I'm giving it a 7 out of 10 to start. I'm hoping they take my criticism into the script and explain it or expand on things. I know I seem over-all negative but its not bad, just not howl-at-the-mood exciting or very original, yet it is far better than another reality show, cop drama, doctor drama, fireman drama and so on. I'll take any scifi I can get. Falling Skies is so bad its pretty awesome, so if this going to stink, I hope they go all the way.
  20. Jul 10, 2014
    I will say this. For a summer show, this has brains, heart AND "soul" (regardless of the patriarch John Woods' opinion...which was ironically my favorite scene by a mile). Oh, and I can watch it with the entire family in the room. I'm getting too old to outlast the kids and/ or sneak away to watch True Blood, The Leftovers, etc. Good shows don't have to push the envelope for content to beI will say this. For a summer show, this has brains, heart AND "soul" (regardless of the patriarch John Woods' opinion...which was ironically my favorite scene by a mile). Oh, and I can watch it with the entire family in the room. I'm getting too old to outlast the kids and/ or sneak away to watch True Blood, The Leftovers, etc. Good shows don't have to push the envelope for content to be good, IMO. I'll dock it a single point for the derivative factor, but I'm not looking for someone to invent pizza. Just make a darn good one. And that it is. Roll on, episode 2!!! Expand
  21. Jul 10, 2014
    I had been anticipating this premiere, and did it ever pay off! The pilot was great, I love the story and I cannot wait for more! Unlike James below, I didn't feel that it was disjointed at all. Much like the x-files, many amazing sci-fi shows take a couple episodes to provide all the background information that is needed for the viewer. Good stuff!
  22. Jul 9, 2014
    Excellent start to a great new show. This is a great mix of sci-fi and drama. This is a homerun for the shows creator Mickey Fisher, and the writting, acting and direction are superb for a summer show (this would also give most fall premiers a run for their money). The premier hits the ground running while at the same time allows good character development. Halle Berry really addsExcellent start to a great new show. This is a great mix of sci-fi and drama. This is a homerun for the shows creator Mickey Fisher, and the writting, acting and direction are superb for a summer show (this would also give most fall premiers a run for their money). The premier hits the ground running while at the same time allows good character development. Halle Berry really adds dimension and personality to the lead role. I liked that its sci-fi without being obvious. I am excited to see where the casts takes us, but if it continues where the pilot left off, we are all in for a wild ride. Expand
  23. Jul 19, 2014
    Extant is excellent drama with sci-fi elements and an intriguing plot, helped by strong performances of Halle Berry and Pierce Gagnon, this tv show go high in the first two episodes. A suprising hit series, full of mysteries storylines, good effects and a solid written.
  24. Jul 13, 2014
    Fantastic pilot! A high budget sci-fi with a solid story. TV needs more shows like this. My only worry is that with such a seemingly high budget that it won't get to be completed.
  25. Jul 14, 2014
    EludiumQ36 was quite correct in criticizing the lazy/sloppy screenwriting convention that even my 14 year-old son spotted vis-a-vis erasing footage on a space mission. What is this, a reprise of Rose Mary Woods with the 18-minute gap on the Nixon tapes? It's a shame to take us out of an otherwise good story arc by insulting our intelligence. I think there could have been acceptableEludiumQ36 was quite correct in criticizing the lazy/sloppy screenwriting convention that even my 14 year-old son spotted vis-a-vis erasing footage on a space mission. What is this, a reprise of Rose Mary Woods with the 18-minute gap on the Nixon tapes? It's a shame to take us out of an otherwise good story arc by insulting our intelligence. I think there could have been acceptable work-arounds for this problem. On the other hand, a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is critical for any of these summer-filler shows to take us out of out doldrums. This show is infinitely better than the Godawful dreck that is getting "universal acclaim": "The Strain." At least here there are some some more conundrums to work through. An IQ better than a good golf score is required to recount last night's plot-line over the water-cooler to one's buddies the next day... unlike "The Strain." And then, there is Halle Berry, a constant delight to the eye. Expand
  26. Jul 12, 2014
    Wow..Didn't hear of the series but when i saw the pilot..it blew me away..Really loved it!
    Nice sub plots, characters and Sci FI all bundled into one..This is going to be EPIC!
  27. Aug 11, 2014
    Love the concept mix of sci-fi espionage and drama with the multi-dimensional characters with investment into developing the story at a great pace from the outset. The dialogue is relevant and on point and the acting is not too stifled or restricted. The jury is still out on the casting of Halle Berry as I feel she is somewhat of a quiet actress with limited presence.

Overall, great

Overall, great step into the complexity of sci-fi espionage and look forward to the development.
  28. Jul 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good premiere with some great moments. Overall, the plots, main and subplots, are interesting and I hope Mickey Fisher doesn't lose the threads and expands them on in later episodes. It was beautifully filmed, subtle in the space station scenes but also mesmerizing. The interior scenes were well done, but a little claustrophobic - for example while you see several rooms in Molly's home, you don't get any real sense of cohesion or flow, they are just rooms. This may have been done purposely to add to the sense that Molly is disconnected from her family - she's doesn't yet feel 'at home'. But there are some great scenes there: Molly reviewing photo albums, but not of her current family and her husband finding her there. Goran Visnjic is so subtle, you just catch a glimpse of a briefly clenched fist which releases as he approaches her, as he appears to gain control of some emotion. Pierce Gagnon as Ethan, their son, anxious because "Mommy's mad at me", and then he asks for the "flip" - he's a wonder to watch, as he seems to feel his status is in question. The shower scene in which you see a husband and wife trying to remember how to touch each other again - is there desire?

I thought Halle Berry [HB] was very good, subtle with none of the overblown "star" acting that can happen when a movie actress shifts to television. What I like most is the fact to her credit, she is portraying a character who is trying to figure out what happened to her, and she doesn't just melt down. So many sci fi stories fail when they have female protagonists and they make them either suddenly panicky, forgetting all of the science and logic that makes them interesting and strong. Or, the character is forced to "become feminine" by losing that toughness or intelligence to gain compassion or gain some other 'missing' feminine aspect, as though she weren't a complete person in the first place. HB's performance was calm, but also showed fear, compassion, caution, awareness of the implicit dangers in her situation, and even a sense of humor without swinging wildly in one direction or the other. Molly is a smart person and I like that. (Yep I am female.) I am also a fan of Camryn Manheim [CM] and Goran Visnjic [GV] from previous tv and movies roles. GV's impassioned defense of his son (I won't use quotes in deference to the character) and CM's obvious concern over Molly's condition are great barometers of where this might go, although I hope that in future episodes, CM will prove more helpful (perform more tests?). But I liked their performances and their presence raises my expectations for the series.

The conspiracy aspect of the suicided astronaut Hiram Kryger becoming Molly's Deep Throat is intriguing - will he become known as "The Dead Astronaut" or "TDA" like "Cigarette Smoking man" from X-Files? The privately owned space company she works for has its own agenda obviously. While some may expect to find "evil corporation" a trope these days, perhaps this is just a simple look at what privatization might mean for the space program and for the individuals who work for such a company. The management seems less evil and just interested in "product", which is what Molly might become. Hiroyuki Sanada (late of another great sci fi series, Helix), plays the head of the corporation and Michael O'Neill his director. Both have small scenes so far, but they are actors I enjoy watching, so I look forward to seeing more of them.

There are also some interesting interactions between Molly and the son Ethan, as compared to Grace Gummer's character and Ethan. These contrasts make great plot points and I hope to see them develop. So yes, I will be watching and rooting for Molly to stay strong and in control of her own life, while discovering the mysteries both inside and outside her. I don't mind that I see elements of other sci fi movies (I've seen several mentioned: Gravity, Solaris, A.I.; I would include Aliens due to corporate aspect.) here because the themes are worth examining, particularly in how each affects the other: humans and artificial intelligence; humans and extraterrestrial lifeforms; artificial intelligence and extraterrestrial life; families and change; families changed by A.I.s, families changed by extraterrestrial life. We may need to redefine "human". which is scary and thrilling - a roller coaster in HD. I hope it is.
  29. Aug 8, 2014
    Face-paced and intriguing, not the usual cookie cutter plot. Every episode has a cliff hanger and the story leaves me engaged, thinking and wanting more. The acting is superb!
  30. Aug 13, 2014
    This is absolutely the best thing I've watched on TV in a long time please don't cancel this series. I love all the suspense and the tension of watching this. i watched the first four episodes in one night. its so addicting. please keep this on.
  31. TV-
    Sep 4, 2014
    This show is awesome and it's good to see that the kids in this show are very good actors too, Shree Crook "Young Katie", Pierce Gagnon "Ethan Woods", and Cheyenne Nguyen "Little".
  32. Oct 4, 2014
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING. It's so boring I only wrote enough to fill the minimum quota for an equally boring review. Omfg this show is such shi t
  33. Sep 19, 2014
    What a bad show. Halle Berry who I think is a good actress was sleep walking through this role. The writing was bad Hollywood at its worst. Boring series and we were happy to see it end. I certainly will not watch this if there is a second season.
  34. Aug 13, 2014
    I'm about halfway through the season and the only reason why I continue to watch it just to figure out what the hell is happening. That's never a good motivation to watch a TV show. You want the hour by hour drama to sustain you but it simply does not in this case.
  35. Sep 18, 2014
    After a promising start, the show started to decline rapidly. It had an interesting and good concept for a TV show, but they failed to deliver on it. Throughout the whole season, it seems like most episodes are carbon copies of one another. It's the same thing over and over again. It took long to accelerate the show as the middle was a complete waste. The final 2 episodes wereAfter a promising start, the show started to decline rapidly. It had an interesting and good concept for a TV show, but they failed to deliver on it. Throughout the whole season, it seems like most episodes are carbon copies of one another. It's the same thing over and over again. It took long to accelerate the show as the middle was a complete waste. The final 2 episodes were significantly improved, but it was already too late. The show would have been better with fewer episodes. Writing has been decent and at times; sloppy. They just did not know what to do with the 3 story lines. Getting into the story lines, I really didn't care for Ethan. The kid who plays him does a good job though. Halle Berry does a good job with her character, but the rest is just average. They had really good production values and the music was pretty good. The alien reveal was lame and it took way too long to finally see it. At the end of the season, the show was just okay. Nothing special and I don't think it deserves a season 2. Expand
  36. Sep 14, 2014
    Awful show - mainly due to a complete lack of a credible screenplay. Some of the actors are just bad while others (notably Berry) struggle to play the roles and scripts they've been given. And the further we go the more jumps we have to make to get over the holes, not in the plot, but in the unnatural way the characters interact and respond. I give it 1 point for production it's a diamondAwful show - mainly due to a complete lack of a credible screenplay. Some of the actors are just bad while others (notably Berry) struggle to play the roles and scripts they've been given. And the further we go the more jumps we have to make to get over the holes, not in the plot, but in the unnatural way the characters interact and respond. I give it 1 point for production it's a diamond in a cowpat. Expand
  37. Aug 28, 2014
    used to love this series ... but after the last episodes i freakin hate it ... it SUCKS ! how they acting , story and where they're going with it , ... all is so stupid ! hope it gets better ... :|
  38. Sep 5, 2014
    Awful...really a horror movie and not a science fiction movie. Entirely too drawn out... Should have been a 4 hr miniseries at most. They clearly stretched and stretched to make this 13 hrs.
  39. Sep 18, 2014
    I am pained by how bad this designed-by-committee utterly visionless trash is. I am angered that I gave it a chance and kept watching hoping it might get better... and it got worse! I am enraged that many good series have been canceled, and this is what they give us instead.

And did I not see a movie (or two) with this same premise except better executed?
  40. Nov 6, 2014
    Extant is everything and much more than I expected from a sci fi tv series. It's a series that is especially interesting for women. There is a lot to relate to, for mothers and working women. The plot is from the start on very engaging. You don't need to drag yourself through terrible pilots like many other tv series. The pilot doesnt need sex or violence to sell itself, its the greatExtant is everything and much more than I expected from a sci fi tv series. It's a series that is especially interesting for women. There is a lot to relate to, for mothers and working women. The plot is from the start on very engaging. You don't need to drag yourself through terrible pilots like many other tv series. The pilot doesnt need sex or violence to sell itself, its the great story being told that makes it worth while from the beginning.

The photography is absolutely gorgeous, with many CGI that really matter. The settings are also mind blowing, each building, room or car is beautifully styled.

Then we have Halle Berry, she must be the most beautiful woman on earth! Her face is marvellous and she doesn't have had any plastic surgery or botox, her face can express everything. Great actress! Her tv series son is played by a talented child actor, Pierce Gagnon. He is truly intriguing and has a dark undercurrent. I love his part. Im so glad this series has been made, because it has style and the Halle Berry character is a great role model.

You see, lately I got very bored with all the sex and violence and serial killers and tortured detectives. It's a pity that tv got so obsessed with violence.

All together I find Extant a classic, very well crafted series that deserves attention.
  41. Apr 25, 2015
    I love sci fi and this premise seemed worth a shot. But rather than plough through the whole first season (each individual episode description sounded somewhat thin and underwhelming), I decided to cut to the chase and just watch the last few episodes of Season 1, figuring the plotlines would be tightening, drama would be intensifying, and I could always go back and watch the buildup if itI love sci fi and this premise seemed worth a shot. But rather than plough through the whole first season (each individual episode description sounded somewhat thin and underwhelming), I decided to cut to the chase and just watch the last few episodes of Season 1, figuring the plotlines would be tightening, drama would be intensifying, and I could always go back and watch the buildup if it was that good. So glad I peeked at the end, so to speak, rather than sitting through several hours of this stuff. Slow pacing, hackneyed writing, and amateurish construction. Every time something even mildly suspenseful happens, the next scene invariably cuts to a couple of characters casually jaw-boning about it and any investment in what happens next completely deflates. You can see plot twists, such as they are, a mile away. Truly good sci fi, sadly, is not extant here. Expand

The lead performances are a tad opaque, and the script feels as though it's telling two separate stories that don't immediately seem as though they'll connect in a graceful way.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Kenneally
    Jul 9, 2014
    Despite the kitchen-sink feel to it all, Extant has much going for it. Berry impressively handles the task of playing a woman who's coming to grips with both a interstellar conception and a laboratory-built “son.” And so far the series has done a good job of balancing the gee-whiz gadget fetishism of science fiction with the need for characters that the viewer will care about.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jul 9, 2014
    Extant plays with genres, mixing sci-fi, conspiracy thriller and scenes from a struggling marriage. It also asks some daring questions about the collision of machine and humanity.