Family Guy : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 31, 1999
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
7.4

1. Apr 25, 2013
    If the the rest of MacFarlane's TV show was as funny and ingenious as the first 3 seasons, I would have rated this programme a 10, but I feel that the current seasons have been a serious disappointment, lacking the humorous stupidity or the subtle wry wit that drew me to the show. I have found that the current episodes have been relying to much on random jokes and shock value to engageIf the the rest of MacFarlane's TV show was as funny and ingenious as the first 3 seasons, I would have rated this programme a 10, but I feel that the current seasons have been a serious disappointment, lacking the humorous stupidity or the subtle wry wit that drew me to the show. I have found that the current episodes have been relying to much on random jokes and shock value to engage their audience. Hopefully the creators can bring back that initial spark that captured me in the first place and if not atleast I'll still be able to enjoy those first 3 brilliant seasons. Expand
  2. Jun 4, 2012
    It was funny in it's golden era in 1990's to the early 2000s, and now it seems like there isn't a genuine attempt to make the show fresh. It seems success has finally slithered it's way into Seth Macfarlane's odd dog-shaped cranium. Fortunately the show is still better than say, How I Met Your Mother.
  3. Feb 16, 2013
    This use to be one of my favorite shows. I loved watching this show with friends, and family, it was really great. until around the 6th season. No, actially, right on the 6th season. the animation changed, and looked really akward and kind of took away from the feel of the show, and the shows writing took a serious divebomb. after the 6th season, the episodes basically run like this...This use to be one of my favorite shows. I loved watching this show with friends, and family, it was really great. until around the 6th season. No, actially, right on the 6th season. the animation changed, and looked really akward and kind of took away from the feel of the show, and the shows writing took a serious divebomb. after the 6th season, the episodes basically run like this...
    -Opening
    -Random pointless peter joke
    -plot device 1
    -Meg joke
    -look back skit
    -stewie homo joke
    -plot device 2
    -Liberal rant from brian
    -random character joke (like the repeated cleaning lady jokes, that were funny 3 season ago)
    -Meg joke
    -Random peter joke
    -closing

The show has become so stale and repetitive i personally find it almost unwatchable. i loved the way the animation looked up to season 6, and again, they went with more of a computer/digital style animation, which kind of killed the look, the writing became repetitive and stale, and the characters became unnessesarily one sided, like brians political rants, or peter being completely retarted. I enjoyed in the first 5 seasons, where peter was stupid, but he still had some form of love and intelligence, but now, hes litteraly brain dead. like, no commen sense, nothing. It, in my opinion, completely ruined peter as a character. Alot of my opinions on family guy now adaysare more opinionated, i know alot of people who prefer new family guy, and that doesnt mean all of the episodes are bad, theres been a couple of reallly good gems, its just unfortunate that the majority has been crap that just doesnt fit, or is extremely akward to watch. i love family guy, but i think ill stick with the earlier seasons.
  4. Aug 18, 2010
    This show is funny, but after awhile it kinda gets over the line with racist jokes and stupid jokes and other things. Dont get me wrong the show is funny, but just stupid funny. I like the show, but when Family Guy: Blue Harvest came out..OMG, halarious!!! But when Something, Something, Something Darkside came out: Zzzzzzz.. So boring and stupid! Not even funny. In ending this review: TheThis show is funny, but after awhile it kinda gets over the line with racist jokes and stupid jokes and other things. Dont get me wrong the show is funny, but just stupid funny. I like the show, but when Family Guy: Blue Harvest came out..OMG, halarious!!! But when Something, Something, Something Darkside came out: Zzzzzzz.. So boring and stupid! Not even funny. In ending this review: The show is funny, but their funny is dying slowly.. Expand
  5. May 21, 2014
    This show is a lot like Spongebob. It was good, but now it has gone way down hill. Almost all the characters are either not likable, suffer from the Seth Macfarlane effect (A character becoming unbelievably stupid), or just not interesting. Making Meg the punching bag is like what they do with squidward on Spongebob, its just not funny. Also the show is just not funny anymore, and IThis show is a lot like Spongebob. It was good, but now it has gone way down hill. Almost all the characters are either not likable, suffer from the Seth Macfarlane effect (A character becoming unbelievably stupid), or just not interesting. Making Meg the punching bag is like what they do with squidward on Spongebob, its just not funny. Also the show is just not funny anymore, and I honestly think the show should just die. This show was funny, but it has over stayed its welcome. Expand
  6. JSN
    May 11, 2011
    It's good in small doses for the laughs, but isn't a great show to watch consecutively. As others have mentioned, it will start to seem repetitive if you're paying close attention and there isn't any sort of connection between episodes. It's hard to say there's a best season; it's been consistently hit or miss each episode, though I think the recent seasons have been aiming for the lowestIt's good in small doses for the laughs, but isn't a great show to watch consecutively. As others have mentioned, it will start to seem repetitive if you're paying close attention and there isn't any sort of connection between episodes. It's hard to say there's a best season; it's been consistently hit or miss each episode, though I think the recent seasons have been aiming for the lowest common denominator among viewers. It makes for a decent prime-time re-run syndication show that you stumble upon when flicking through channels, but not the type of show you'll want to own on DVD and watch through nor do I think many people go out of their way to catch new episodes. Expand
  7. Sep 24, 2011
    FAMILY GUY was one of the first adult syndicated TV programs to rip-off THE SIMPSONS by using the idea of a dysfunctional family, and making a not-so-kiddy cartoon about it. Yep, Peter Griffin is just like Homer Simpson. He has a wife, three kids (one a baby, though this time, a talking baby), a dog (again, a talking one), and no brain. The only difference between the two characters isFAMILY GUY was one of the first adult syndicated TV programs to rip-off THE SIMPSONS by using the idea of a dysfunctional family, and making a not-so-kiddy cartoon about it. Yep, Peter Griffin is just like Homer Simpson. He has a wife, three kids (one a baby, though this time, a talking baby), a dog (again, a talking one), and no brain. The only difference between the two characters is Peter Griffin doesn't have a cat, he lacks a lot of necessary personality, and he isn't usually funny. Neither is anybody else in this show. Expand
  8. Nov 4, 2011
    The Debut season of FAMILY GUY provides some laughs, but not a lot, it could've been better for a debut season though. There were only a few parts that entertained me, there could have been more.
  9. Jul 30, 2013
    A mediocre spin on The Simpsons! What makes The Simpsons one of the greatest shows ever made is that it's the most irreverent and unapologetic show on the air. It has wit, biting satire and intelligence that makes the show innocently funny. Despite some of Homer's many zany antics, the show is an honest and realistic portrayal of an average American family.

That being said, Family

That being said, Family steals this formula but instead of having character-driven plot it's full of pop culture in-jokes which are mostly unfunny. Everything about the show is too similar to The Simpsons, from the concept to characters especially Peter Griffin who resembles heavily to Homer. Lois is obviously Marge, Brain is Santa's Little Helper except he's anthropomorphic, Stewie is Maggie except he can talk, Meg is Lisa and Chris is Bart although they don't exactly have the same attributes to each other.

Family Guy does have it's moments that makes the show a 5 however. Episode 5 introduces Joe Swanson, a paraplegic who's portrayed as a hero. Although paraplegics can't do what he does like play baseball or become a police officer, obviously the show is unrealistic, he's a good role model for them as he's positive in life despite his disability, a character we could all look up to.

It's a memorable introduction and his Christmas backstory as to how he got crippled, his fight with The Grinch on the rooftop, was hilariously entertaining. But the fact that Joe is paraplegic has been made into a plot twist, which is very odd and counter-intuitive. Peter Griffin didn't know that Joe is a paraplegic until after he invites him to a baseball game which, with common sense, he should have. But anyway, that and the second episode was the most memorable of the season, the rest of the characters are mostly racial stereotypes.

In conclusion, despite a few jokes Family Guy copied almost everything from The Simpsons. Don't believe anyone who says otherwise and if you're a huge fan of The Simpsons don't watch this rip-off, it's not an alternative. An alternative is a similar show but it has distinctive qualities that makes it it's own show, Family Guy does not have that. Is it funnier because the humor is more adult themed? Not necessarily!
  10. Sep 16, 2013
    Seriously how did this become a show? Now I know family guy is not the worst like I watched a couple episodes there funny but come on it kinda gets over the line with racist/sexist jokes and other things. family guy a good show but its freaking weird.
  11. May 27, 2014
    Ridiculous, Raunchy fun. The pinnacle of stupid humor is well, stupid. Stupid funny. Not for everyone of course, but for those who need a good laugh every now and then--look no further than Seth Macfarlane's ridiculous sitcom "Family Guy".
  12. Jul 15, 2014
    La mejor serie animada después de Los Simspon. Sin duda, la primera temporada es la mas floja y simple de la serie, los que quieran ver el auténtico espíritu de la serie que la empiecen a ver en la temporada 4 o 5. A partir de ahí es brutal.
  13. Jul 15, 2014
    It's kinda funny, I've seen the whole show and all I have to say is, eh. It relies to much on sex and rudeness, all it is is cutaway after stupid, pointless, crappy cutaway that make no sense and are antagonistically unfunny. But it used to have some funny jokes...
  14. Jun 29, 2015
    das ist gut there is only 7 episodes of fun there is a lot of huimor and good stuff it is so good but there is only 7 episodes
    so
    theres
    that trust me

1. Boston Globe
    Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Jul 10, 2013
    Does it work? Mostly, but only if you can handle what is now commonly called "edge." [29 Jan 1999]
  2. Boston Herald
    Reviewed by: Monica Collins
    Jul 10, 2013
    Sunday's premiere episode is one of the most cleverly outrageous half-hours of TV I've seen in a while. [28 Jan 1999]
  3. Chicago Sun-Times