Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.1

1. Mar 15, 2011
    Nearly flawless. Realistic, poignant, inspirational...and it really should be watched by many more people. Myself and a crew of friends just got hooked...and my wife loves it too. Just finished season one...
  2. JosephW.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Smart, well-written, infinitely watchable television that feels like NBC stole a page out of HBO's playbook (excuse the bad sports analogy; but see good storying and solid acting in: all HBO shows).
  3. Aug 17, 2010
    Without a doubt, Friday Night Lights is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The story is so well done and realistic that it makes you feel as if all these characters are real people who you could actually visit if you went to this small town in Texas. I highly recommend Friday Night Lights for anybody who is a fan of good TV.
  4. KayaJ
    Apr 3, 2007
    This is the most consistently beautiful and moving show on network tv. It's a stunning achievement that deserves all the praise that it receives. Bravo and thank you!
  5. ReggieW
    Oct 30, 2006
    Best show ever put on tv in my opinion.
  6. MeatG
    Mar 15, 2009
    From the opening theme to the closing credits this show twists my emotions with such a skillful blend of hope and despair that by the end I have lost track of what I am supposed to feel and am instead riding along with the triumphs and defeats of these incredibly real characters.
  7. DominickS
    Dec 28, 2006
    Remarkable stuff. I'm 45 years old and not one prone to gushing over TV shows.... but this is truly an exceptional program. Rather than provide a laundry list of the ways this show distinguishes iteself from anything else on commercial TV, I'll just give one very small example. One of the secondary characters in the show is named Buddy Garrity. He's the father of one of the Remarkable stuff. I'm 45 years old and not one prone to gushing over TV shows.... but this is truly an exceptional program. Rather than provide a laundry list of the ways this show distinguishes iteself from anything else on commercial TV, I'll just give one very small example. One of the secondary characters in the show is named Buddy Garrity. He's the father of one of the female leads (Lyla Garrity), and a booster for the football program. To top it off, he's a car salesman. There was a scene where he was involved in negotiating accomodations with the officials of a school the team would be playing in an all-black (or nearly anyway) city. In discussing with the coach's wife (the other school representative) how they should approach the negotiations, he made a not-too-veiled racist remark. Something like "You know how these people are...." Now in most every other show I've ever seen, that would be a signal to expect two things. First, a passionate dramatic rebuke by the coaches wife. And second that he would be uniformly sleazy in all aspects of his character, having no redeeming features whatsoever. That is, he would become a charicature. A racist, car-dealer....surely the devil himself! Niether happened. Instead the coaches while, somewhat taken aback, just continued her dialog with him, taking care of business. That is, she dealt with it like a NORMAL PERSON would. And later we got to see the Garrity character dealing with his daughter's anguish over becoming a school pariah. How does he act? Like a loving dad. Not a Father-Knows-Best. But surely a father who loves his daughter with all his soul. Again, a real, abeit seriously flawed character. I could give similar examples for every character. Suffice it to say that if you're interested in interesting, well-spun stories about REAL people, please please check out this show. You won't regret it. Dominick Expand
  8. HanL
    Dec 11, 2006
    I'm at a loss to remember the last time I found a television drama as intelligent, engaging, and hewn to the highest standards as this one. Perhaps the first season of ER comes close. The acting, photography, and editing are all top notch, but it's the writing that keeps this viewer glued to the screen for the first time in a decade, perhaps more.
  9. MMJones
    Oct 29, 2006
    Extraordinary. A compassionate view of the details of life in a part of the country many folks like me know nothing about. The kids, the adults, the situations are touchingly real-life; the acting transcends everything (other than "House") on TV.
  10. KatieR
    Mar 29, 2007
    Brilliant, beautiful, perfect. Television as art.
  11. AJF
    Apr 7, 2007
    Best acting on network TV. The coach and wife are a phenomenal TV couple.
  12. BetsyE.
    Jun 25, 2007
    heartbreaking, realistic, touching, you name it.... characters you really, really care about.. The best show on television
  13. BrianC
    Apr 7, 2009
    Best show on television. Ridiculous that it's almost been nixed so often and that people eat up dross like Dancing With the Stars when they have such a literary, poignant drama they could watch instead. Football may be the template for FNL, but it's really a show about quotidian existence and small town American life - only such an awesomely talented cast could make such a theme Best show on television. Ridiculous that it's almost been nixed so often and that people eat up dross like Dancing With the Stars when they have such a literary, poignant drama they could watch instead. Football may be the template for FNL, but it's really a show about quotidian existence and small town American life - only such an awesomely talented cast could make such a theme so insightful, interesting, and compelling week after week. The pilot is simply breathtaking. Expand
  14. CynthiaS
    Nov 9, 2006
    I think it is a great show. I look forward to Tuesday nights and I love Kyle Chandler.
  15. MaryM
    Oct 19, 2006
    This is an incredible show. It has more real emotion than any of the so-called 'reality' shows out there. It's the best show on television right now.
  16. janer
    Oct 22, 2006
    This is a refreshing program and a super departure from the God awful reality shows (all of them)..It has good acting and compelling iteresting side stories.
  17. mikek
    Dec 21, 2006
    Finally a show on tv that I can watch.
  18. mikef
    Dec 22, 2006
    Best new show of the season.
  19. JulieN
    Dec 30, 2006
    I love this show!
  20. JoshF
    Absolutely unbelievable!
  21. jimw
    Jan 24, 2007
    This is the best drama on TV, and it just keeps getting better. Bravo.
  22. DavidKi
    Jan 28, 2008
    Consistently the finest shot, acted and written series on television. I eagerly look forward to each and every show.
  23. mark
    Feb 16, 2008
    This show fits into that narrow category in which it is so good that you need to verbalize it to your viewing partner at every commercial break. It's not about football...but the football stuff is engaging as hell (I'm not a football fan). It's about human beings living together and it's delivered with superlative acting, scripting, production, etc. Sure there's This show fits into that narrow category in which it is so good that you need to verbalize it to your viewing partner at every commercial break. It's not about football...but the football stuff is engaging as hell (I'm not a football fan). It's about human beings living together and it's delivered with superlative acting, scripting, production, etc. Sure there's eye candy but even the worst of them can act well. On most shows, tragedies like divorce/infidelity are delivered with excessive moralism and we're spoon-fed how we should feel about it. This one delivers it as it exists in life: complicated, and not one-sided. It's so good it even survives goofy plot twists b/c it's the rare TV program that's about how it's told, even more than what is told. My one criticism is that the hand-held camera can be a bit too self-conscious and over-done from time to time, it doesn't make you dizzy like some that employ this technique, it just needs to stick to genuine use, without accentuation. Some moments are so artful, painterly, and beautiful that it hurts. The last scene in the show my wife and I watched tonight (online) with Tammy and coach looking in the mirror after their evening out was pitch-perfect. It would be a real shame for this show to end...or would it? I hope that someone on cast and crew sees this and shares it around b/c the show is so good it really makes me want to thank and congratulate them all. Whomever plays Tammy and Landry in particular are phenomenal but it's really a tour de force. Tammy acts better just with her eyes than most other network actors can do with their whole bodies. I'll cut it here lest I sound too wacko to be taken seriously b/c of my gushing. Man, it's that good though. Expand
  24. Mar 29, 2013
    Friday Night Lights is one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. From the amazing chemistry, to the kind of show that just touches your heart. It's one of my favorite shows in quite a while.
  25. MattW
    Oct 4, 2006
    I like that it is directed by the same guy who directed the movie. And they seem to use the same kind of music as well. Very well done. 10
  26. BrentH.
    Jun 5, 2008
    This is the kind of show that will build in popularity as the" word of mouth" about how great it is, spreads. I bet it's already number 1 in West Texas.
  27. NathanW
    Nov 2, 2006
    I simply love the show. I don't know why, but I really like it. I would have never thought that I'd like a sports drama, but I do!
  28. lucas
    Oct 3, 2006
    Variety Brian Lowry "Friday Night Lights" ultimately feels like one of those family programs middle America and conservatives pine for that too few of them actually bother to watch -- a portrait of decent, God-fearing folks wringing joy from America's game as an escape from their hardscrabble lives. ---- That sentiment is why "Friday Night Lights" will be a huge hit! America (middle Variety Brian Lowry "Friday Night Lights" ultimately feels like one of those family programs middle America and conservatives pine for that too few of them actually bother to watch -- a portrait of decent, God-fearing folks wringing joy from America's game as an escape from their hardscrabble lives. ---- That sentiment is why "Friday Night Lights" will be a huge hit! America (middle or otherwise) is sick of crap TV!! Perhaps a program featuring scantily clad teens murdering one another in a reality show setting starring Paris Hilton is more to his liking! Collapse
  29. CameronS
    Oct 4, 2006
    Excellent new show! Its one of the new shows that I will definately keep watching. I really like the charectorizations in the show, the acting is really good and the show is actually family-friendly which is very rare these days!
  30. DallinM.
    Oct 21, 2007
    As a high school teacher and coach in Texas, all i can say is they are getting it right.
  31. BillD
    Apr 7, 2007
    Definitely one of the best shows on television over the past few years. I can't believe how low it's ratings are. It's better than anything on right now. Get it out of the Idol time slot. The writing, acting, music, everything is just off the charts.. Incredible show.
  32. AnaA.
    Feb 7, 2008
    i love this show its the greatest i hope they don't cancel it. I'm not the only one who feels this way.
  33. carlosa
    this so cool
  34. mariel
    Oct 12, 2006
    The show is great. I love the documentary style which is unlike other teen dramas. The characters are true and you feel as though you can relate and feel their everyday pressures to stay on top and continue their dynasty. Not to mention that one of the leads (character: Jason Street) is a very close friend of mine, but nevertheless has outstanding acting ability and we are so proud of him The show is great. I love the documentary style which is unlike other teen dramas. The characters are true and you feel as though you can relate and feel their everyday pressures to stay on top and continue their dynasty. Not to mention that one of the leads (character: Jason Street) is a very close friend of mine, but nevertheless has outstanding acting ability and we are so proud of him back home. All in all I was very impressed and hope the show continues to fair well in ratings to keep it at the prime time spot. Expand
  35. JacobM
    Oct 10, 2006
    The second episode was even better than the first.
  36. JohnnaN.
    Nov 2, 2006
    The best new show on TV!
  37. TonyB
    Oct 12, 2006
    Excellent drama. Unique show (not based on a crime or hospital) with an interesting documentary style direction and cinemaphotography.
  38. ChrisS
    Oct 17, 2006
    The scene last week where Street's girlfriend was feeding him a cookie was unreal. This show is simply amazing, as the New York Times put it, this show goes well beyond the realm of TV, and is simply a work of art.
  39. jakes
    Oct 2, 2006
    This is one of the best television shows i have seen in a long long time. it captures everything you want to see in a show. the charcters are so well written and executed by the actors that you feel like you know them and the suspense, intrigue, and excitemnt you feel while watching it is overwhelming. i hope this stays on for years to come - it is that good.
  40. KaraB
    Oct 27, 2006
    Best show on TV. My teeage kids and all their friends agree. Because it is on early we TIVO it and have people over during the weekend to watch and catch up.
  41. joanw
    Oct 31, 2006
    Love this show. It depicts so many human emotions and inactions in the context of football. It is very good.
  42. ErikS
    Oct 31, 2006
    Great show. Catch up with it on nbc.com if you've missed it so far. Finally, a good show on TV. Support it!
  43. mgsc
    Oct 3, 2006
    Excellent pilot...somewhere between the book (classic) and the movie (pretty good but watered down) in terms of quality. I suspect Mr. Storm from the Philly Enquirer had to endure endless wedgies from jocks in high school.
  44. LilaMcC
    Wow. Fabulous. Wow.
  45. DawnC
    Oct 4, 2006
    amazing new show, best this season yet!!!
  46. marcoa
    Oct 6, 2006
    amazing
  47. MichaelM
    Nov 10, 2007
    I wish more people would watch this series. It's without a doubt the best dramatic series on television. I couldn't have less interest in football or any strong connetion to Texas. It's simply the strong acting, intelligent storytelling and terrific writing that keep me going back every week.
  48. TomM
    Oct 2, 2007
    Best show on television for the last 5 years.
  49. JackieV
    Jan 4, 2007
    Best show on this tv season and lots of others seasons. Reminds me of Hill Street Blues which struggled initially. Hope this show can be saved because it is excellent. NBC is going for the younger demog raphics with the website featuring all the young actors, however, it is a mistake not to feature Kyle Chandler. He definitely has high appeal the middle age group. I still remember his Best show on this tv season and lots of others seasons. Reminds me of Hill Street Blues which struggled initially. Hope this show can be saved because it is excellent. NBC is going for the younger demog raphics with the website featuring all the young actors, however, it is a mistake not to feature Kyle Chandler. He definitely has high appeal the middle age group. I still remember his performance on Grey's Anatomy . Grey's messed up bad by getting rid of Denny. A LOT OF WOMEN WERE UPSET. Kyle Chandler has that same type of appeal to women. This might be a stupid suggestion but whe the football season ends soon start showing it on Friday nights when fans are in football withdrawal. I hope Wednesday end up being an improvement... if not .. give it a thought. We need to save this show! Expand
  50. CamS
    Feb 1, 2007
    Great
  51. JenniferR
    Feb 19, 2007
    The best show on network television, it would be a shame to have only one season. The acting, directing, and storylines are far superior to anything else offered in prime time.
  52. anonymous
    Feb 8, 2007
    I love this show. I look forward to Friday Night Lights each week. I hope this series has a long and successful run on television.
  53. WarrenD
    Mar 1, 2007
    Brilliant. Watching it on ITV4 in Pommieland at the moment.
  54. dwsholl
    Mar 2, 2007
    Terrific bit of Americana. Unusually good casting for a TV show and wouldn't replace any of them!
  55. KrisP
    Mar 23, 2007
    The movie was awesome, this is even better. Hopefully they'll continue on with a second season.
  56. LuisR
    Mar 4, 2007
    So far, this has been one of the best single seasons of TV I've ever seen.
  57. ZinaD
    Apr 4, 2007
    Please have this return to NBC next season. It is the best show in such long time. It is different and enjoyable.
  58. MichaelK
    Apr 9, 2007
    Amazing show. Very fun to watch.
  59. BethB
    Jun 28, 2007
    I didn't watch this during the season because I thought I wasn't interested in a football drama, but am watching it online and love it--great writing, complex characters, and the coach and his wife are one of the most realistic but lovling couples I've seen.
  60. Jessica
    Aug 16, 2007
    love it, love it, love it! Can't wait til it returns.
  61. Alex
    Mar 17, 2008
    This is a great show which I hope comes back into the programming.
  62. JohnnaN.
    The best new show on TV!
  63. jl
    best series this season.
  64. Lester
    It isn
  65. richardc
    Oct 12, 2006
    This show is amazing in its accuracy and Drama. I live in a small Texas town and football, just as it is portrayed in this show, is king. Friday nights are known for football and the town thrives on it.
  66. MikeL
    Nov 30, 2006
    Absolutely brilliant. Watch this show and when you love it, tell your friends to watch. Hoping it doesn't get cancelled
  67. chesterde
    Oct 14, 2006
    Finally, a show with real heart.
  68. paml
    Oct 15, 2006
    Outstanding new show. Incredibly good!
  69. mitchk
    Oct 18, 2006
    i rate would rate this t.v. show a 100 if i were allowed. it is the best show ever!
  70. JerryL
    Oct 19, 2006
    Great show. The characters are compelling, the production values are top notch, and the action very realistic. I really hope that the Nielsen numbers come around, because this show is too good to be cancelled...
  71. ScottL
    Oct 20, 2006
    I love this show & I'm not even a football fan! Great acting--the best Kyle Chandler has ever done--superb writing, good story telling & hot babes! What more could you ask for? Great camera work too.
  72. LJBanatao
    Oct 2, 2006
    It is an amazing show that will definitely appeal to a wide range of viewers.
  73. JB
    Oct 23, 2006
    This is a great series. I loved the book and movie and will add this to my favorites list. Having been a high school football players Mom, some of this really hits home! I hope this show gets all the attention it deserves and gets the viewers it needs to continue the series
  74. heidw
    Oct 31, 2006
    it is a really good show and i love it
  75. ColbyS
    Oct 30, 2006
    As a college athlete this is the most accurate sports movie/show/mini-series, etc, I have ever seen. The emotion is real, the conflcts w/ the team show the real aspects that "high pressure to win" athletes and coaches go through during the season. Even with football set aside, the story-lines of players, coaches, and their families are compelling as well as entertaining.
  76. AnthonyM
    Jan 16, 2007
    The show is great and i watch it every week. I especially like Jesse Plemons in the show for his on point theatrical skills and what he brings out for the rest of the characters. I'm extremely looking forward to watching the last few episodes. keep it up cast.
  77. EricL
    Jan 31, 2007
    Wow. I've just seen the last 3 eps and I'm kicking myself for not watching earlier. As good as anything on TV, broadcast or cable, in the last 20 years. I could go on for pages....but please do watch this gem of a work. EL
  78. TylerB
    Jan 4, 2007
    Best show, of ALL-TIME!
  79. mstaff
    Feb 11, 2007
    One of those shows that is so bad it's good! I CAN'T stop watching it!
  80. birthsherpa
    Feb 12, 2007
    My mom was recently paralyzed in a bicycle accident. I was upset that there weren't more people with disabilities represented on TV. This show does it well, and they've done their homework on spinal cord injuries and quad rugby.
  81. sues
    Feb 22, 2007
    Without a doubt, this is the best show presently on the tube
  82. JessieD
    Feb 9, 2007
    This show is awesome. There is nothing else on television that compares! I will sell my soul to NBC if we get another season!
  83. ENewt
    Mar 16, 2007
    The best show on television. Bar none.
  84. BonnieE
    Apr 1, 2007
    Want more seasons.
  85. chrish
    Apr 12, 2007
    By far, the best show on TV!
  86. LisaT
    Apr 14, 2007
    Best show in years! All actors are perfectly cast-head coach and wife are a hot and interesting couple for older people to watch. Get this show a time slot away from American Idol and it will explode! Please bring it back next season!!!
  87. BoB
    Apr 2, 2007
    By far the best show on TV! Possibly the best show EVER!!! Let's just hope gives us enough years to make that statement a reality! Watch it... you'll get addicted!
  88. LucyJ
    Apr 22, 2007
    I am not a foodball fan, but I cannot help but enjoy Friday Night Lights. Each and every episode is a refreshing relief from the ridiculous overabudance of reality programs, game shows, and fantasy dramas. I certainly hope NBC realizes the potential of this program and what a future-ratings gem it will be!
  89. ericau
    Apr 3, 2007
    best show on nbc. if they get rid of it their making a huge mistake!
  90. GregH
    Apr 5, 2007
    I may be a bit older than the average viewer for this show (mid 40s), but I'm hooked. My feeling is that FNL is the best television show ever aired, and I have a lot to compare it to. I actually came a little late to the show (about week 4), but thanks to the free eps on NBC.com, I'm now hooked and a rabid fan. This is the kind of show that actually makes you want to be loyal to I may be a bit older than the average viewer for this show (mid 40s), but I'm hooked. My feeling is that FNL is the best television show ever aired, and I have a lot to compare it to. I actually came a little late to the show (about week 4), but thanks to the free eps on NBC.com, I'm now hooked and a rabid fan. This is the kind of show that actually makes you want to be loyal to the advertisers. Great job NBC for taking a chance on this show. Expand
  91. AlexisL
    Apr 9, 2007
    this is the best show on television right now!! it is extreamly easy to relate to, and has wonderful acting! i am totally addicted! I hope this show has another season!!!
  92. AilssaM
    Apr 9, 2007
    the best show!!! as a teenager, totally realistic and easy to relate to
  93. andyl
    Jul 5, 2007
    Best show on tv. Smart and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's amazing!
  94. BrookeM.
    Aug 18, 2007
    LOVE this show. After rumors of Rosie O'Donnell appearing this fall, we may be less likely to watch. She is to controversial for such an already great show. Keep Rosie out.
  95. GailC.
    Aug 5, 2007
    I love this show - I know nothing about football, and it doesn't matter. I've lived in small towns and this is so real it's tangible. The acting is superb - I've loved Kyle Chandler since "Homefront" and Connie Britton is a relvalation taking her role way beyone the film version. Cannot wait for the new season, hope more people check this one out!
  96. Toddw.
    Sep 30, 2007
    it is an amazing show and accurately depicts the pressures of highschool football.
  97. MichaelH
    Jan 18, 2008
    This is the best thing on television in a long time...as good or better than the first season of Lost. The writing is just amazing, the directing amazing, the acting amazing. Unfortunately stuck in the Friday night slot by NBC. I would compare it to some of the best pieces of TV "art" like the Sopranos...for that matter many excellent movies. In fact, some of the currently top rated This is the best thing on television in a long time...as good or better than the first season of Lost. The writing is just amazing, the directing amazing, the acting amazing. Unfortunately stuck in the Friday night slot by NBC. I would compare it to some of the best pieces of TV "art" like the Sopranos...for that matter many excellent movies. In fact, some of the currently top rated movies on this site (No Country for Old Men) are different but maybe not even as good as this show. Expand
  98. CindyB
    Feb 22, 2008
    This is one of the best shows on television. The writing and the acting are excellent. I look forward to watching the show every week.
  99. DavidW.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Literally one of the best shows I have ever seen on a network. Solid acting and often very moving and inspiring.
  100. JoAnnG
    Jan 16, 2009
    One of the few TV shows that I watch. It is very good.

1. The biggest and most pleasant surprise of the season.
    Surprisingly wise and moving.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Has the same quick-cut look, crisp dialogue and bone-crunching game scenes [ast the movie].