Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.1

1. Mar 15, 2011
    Nearly flawless. Realistic, poignant, inspirational...and it really should be watched by many more people. Myself and a crew of friends just got hooked...and my wife loves it too. Just finished season one...
  2. JosephW.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Smart, well-written, infinitely watchable television that feels like NBC stole a page out of HBO's playbook (excuse the bad sports analogy; but see good storying and solid acting in: all HBO shows).
  3. Aug 17, 2010
    Without a doubt, Friday Night Lights is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The story is so well done and realistic that it makes you feel as if all these characters are real people who you could actually visit if you went to this small town in Texas. I highly recommend Friday Night Lights for anybody who is a fan of good TV.
  4. KayaJ
    Apr 3, 2007
    This is the most consistently beautiful and moving show on network tv. It's a stunning achievement that deserves all the praise that it receives. Bravo and thank you!
  5. ReggieW
    Oct 30, 2006
    Best show ever put on tv in my opinion.
  6. MeatG
    Mar 15, 2009
    From the opening theme to the closing credits this show twists my emotions with such a skillful blend of hope and despair that by the end I have lost track of what I am supposed to feel and am instead riding along with the triumphs and defeats of these incredibly real characters.
  7. DominickS
    Dec 28, 2006
    Remarkable stuff. I'm 45 years old and not one prone to gushing over TV shows.... but this is truly an exceptional program. Rather than provide a laundry list of the ways this show distinguishes iteself from anything else on commercial TV, I'll just give one very small example. One of the secondary characters in the show is named Buddy Garrity. He's the father of one of the Remarkable stuff. I'm 45 years old and not one prone to gushing over TV shows.... but this is truly an exceptional program. Rather than provide a laundry list of the ways this show distinguishes iteself from anything else on commercial TV, I'll just give one very small example. One of the secondary characters in the show is named Buddy Garrity. He's the father of one of the female leads (Lyla Garrity), and a booster for the football program. To top it off, he's a car salesman. There was a scene where he was involved in negotiating accomodations with the officials of a school the team would be playing in an all-black (or nearly anyway) city. In discussing with the coach's wife (the other school representative) how they should approach the negotiations, he made a not-too-veiled racist remark. Something like "You know how these people are...." Now in most every other show I've ever seen, that would be a signal to expect two things. First, a passionate dramatic rebuke by the coaches wife. And second that he would be uniformly sleazy in all aspects of his character, having no redeeming features whatsoever. That is, he would become a charicature. A racist, car-dealer....surely the devil himself! Niether happened. Instead the coaches while, somewhat taken aback, just continued her dialog with him, taking care of business. That is, she dealt with it like a NORMAL PERSON would. And later we got to see the Garrity character dealing with his daughter's anguish over becoming a school pariah. How does he act? Like a loving dad. Not a Father-Knows-Best. But surely a father who loves his daughter with all his soul. Again, a real, abeit seriously flawed character. I could give similar examples for every character. Suffice it to say that if you're interested in interesting, well-spun stories about REAL people, please please check out this show. You won't regret it. Dominick Expand
  8. HanL
    Dec 11, 2006
    I'm at a loss to remember the last time I found a television drama as intelligent, engaging, and hewn to the highest standards as this one. Perhaps the first season of ER comes close. The acting, photography, and editing are all top notch, but it's the writing that keeps this viewer glued to the screen for the first time in a decade, perhaps more.
  9. MMJones
    Oct 29, 2006
    Extraordinary. A compassionate view of the details of life in a part of the country many folks like me know nothing about. The kids, the adults, the situations are touchingly real-life; the acting transcends everything (other than "House") on TV.
  10. KatieR
    Mar 29, 2007
    Brilliant, beautiful, perfect. Television as art.
  11. AJF
    Apr 7, 2007
    Best acting on network TV. The coach and wife are a phenomenal TV couple.
  12. BetsyE.
    Jun 25, 2007
    heartbreaking, realistic, touching, you name it.... characters you really, really care about.. The best show on television
  13. BrianC
    Apr 7, 2009
    Best show on television. Ridiculous that it's almost been nixed so often and that people eat up dross like Dancing With the Stars when they have such a literary, poignant drama they could watch instead. Football may be the template for FNL, but it's really a show about quotidian existence and small town American life - only such an awesomely talented cast could make such a theme Best show on television. Ridiculous that it's almost been nixed so often and that people eat up dross like Dancing With the Stars when they have such a literary, poignant drama they could watch instead. Football may be the template for FNL, but it's really a show about quotidian existence and small town American life - only such an awesomely talented cast could make such a theme so insightful, interesting, and compelling week after week. The pilot is simply breathtaking. Expand
  14. CynthiaS
    Nov 9, 2006
    I think it is a great show. I look forward to Tuesday nights and I love Kyle Chandler.
  15. MaryM
    Oct 19, 2006
    This is an incredible show. It has more real emotion than any of the so-called 'reality' shows out there. It's the best show on television right now.
  16. WendyS
    Oct 21, 2006
    Friday Night Lights is one of the best new shows of the season. NBC would be foolish to cancel it prematurely.
  17. janer
    Oct 22, 2006
    This is a refreshing program and a super departure from the God awful reality shows (all of them)..It has good acting and compelling iteresting side stories.
  18. mikek
    Dec 21, 2006
    Finally a show on tv that I can watch.
  19. mikef
    Dec 22, 2006
    Best new show of the season.
  20. JulieN
    Dec 30, 2006
    I love this show!
  21. JoshF
    Oct 31, 2006
    Absolutely unbelievable!
  22. jimw
    Jan 24, 2007
    This is the best drama on TV, and it just keeps getting better. Bravo.
  23. DavidKi
    Jan 28, 2008
    Consistently the finest shot, acted and written series on television. I eagerly look forward to each and every show.
  24. mark
    Feb 16, 2008
    This show fits into that narrow category in which it is so good that you need to verbalize it to your viewing partner at every commercial break. It's not about football...but the football stuff is engaging as hell (I'm not a football fan). It's about human beings living together and it's delivered with superlative acting, scripting, production, etc. Sure there's This show fits into that narrow category in which it is so good that you need to verbalize it to your viewing partner at every commercial break. It's not about football...but the football stuff is engaging as hell (I'm not a football fan). It's about human beings living together and it's delivered with superlative acting, scripting, production, etc. Sure there's eye candy but even the worst of them can act well. On most shows, tragedies like divorce/infidelity are delivered with excessive moralism and we're spoon-fed how we should feel about it. This one delivers it as it exists in life: complicated, and not one-sided. It's so good it even survives goofy plot twists b/c it's the rare TV program that's about how it's told, even more than what is told. My one criticism is that the hand-held camera can be a bit too self-conscious and over-done from time to time, it doesn't make you dizzy like some that employ this technique, it just needs to stick to genuine use, without accentuation. Some moments are so artful, painterly, and beautiful that it hurts. The last scene in the show my wife and I watched tonight (online) with Tammy and coach looking in the mirror after their evening out was pitch-perfect. It would be a real shame for this show to end...or would it? I hope that someone on cast and crew sees this and shares it around b/c the show is so good it really makes me want to thank and congratulate them all. Whomever plays Tammy and Landry in particular are phenomenal but it's really a tour de force. Tammy acts better just with her eyes than most other network actors can do with their whole bodies. I'll cut it here lest I sound too wacko to be taken seriously b/c of my gushing. Man, it's that good though. Expand
  25. Mar 29, 2013
    Friday Night Lights is one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. From the amazing chemistry, to the kind of show that just touches your heart. It's one of my favorite shows in quite a while.
  26. BlancoA.
    Oct 4, 2006
    The first episode was a little slow for my taste. After the movie, and "Two-A-Days" on MTV, it feels like this is well-worn territory. I hope they go down some original paths.
  27. David
    Oct 10, 2007
    I love High School football but I am trying to be objective here. Anyone that expects absolute realism in a TV show and rates this accordingly is missing the point of entertainment and the shows apparent weaving of real life scenarios around HS Football to entertain. I am giving it a SIX because of the over use of sex in the series. The writers seem to obsessed with proving to us that I love High School football but I am trying to be objective here. Anyone that expects absolute realism in a TV show and rates this accordingly is missing the point of entertainment and the shows apparent weaving of real life scenarios around HS Football to entertain. I am giving it a SIX because of the over use of sex in the series. The writers seem to obsessed with proving to us that teens are engaged in sex at every turn. Regardless of the truth one way or the other, we don't need that in front of us or our children. I really enjoy the football drama but hate the sex scenes and tune them out. Some have complained about the camera work, but I think they miss the point there too. The camera shots bring us to a realism that escapes most shows and I for one think they are brilliantly done in putting us right there with the actors. If it were not for the sex scenes running rampant, I would have rated this show at least a 9. Expand
  28. TonyT
    Feb 7, 2007
    I Tivo this show every week. It has to be the stupidest written show on TV. It is so unrealistic. It's been 35 years since high school but I doubt if it's anything like what is portrayed on this show.
  29. DrakeH
    Oct 10, 2006
    oh my...seriously...lead paint is better for you
  30. jacobt
    Dec 8, 2006
    Camera work made me want to puke. Nice cast though

1. The biggest and most pleasant surprise of the season.
    Surprisingly wise and moving.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Has the same quick-cut look, crisp dialogue and bone-crunching game scenes [ast the movie].