• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 17, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
9.1

1. Apr 21, 2011
    Having not read the books, I was thoroughly surprised by the series and found myself enjoying it so far immensely. The show is good because the original author retains control, a "realistic" element runs strong and the backgrounds and extras are adequately fleshed out. Can't wait for more.
  2. Apr 18, 2011
    Coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't read George R. R. Martin's novels, but who is a massive fan of high-quality TV drama, I have to confess that, for me, Game of Thrones started in an underwhelming way. Not only that, it shows many worrying signs of being a bit of a stinker, in spite of the effort put into its undoubtedly fancy production design.

Having read my fair share

Having read my fair share of fantasy series in years gone by, in the run-up to the Game of Thrones debut I found myself deeply curious as to what it was that made this series sufficiently distinct as to be worthy of a big-budget TV adaptation. So far, I'm not sure. Cliché abounds in the first episode, from unfunny jokes about fat kings to the awkward acquisition of symbolic familiars, from steroidally-enhanced, woad-daubed barbarians (wearing mascara) to rumblings of trouble 'brewing in the north', there's little to set the subject matter apart from the legion of other fantasy universes out there which readers swear blind to be 'brilliant' but that, to many outsiders of the genre, typically seem a little bit silly.

Clearly a great deal of money has been lavished on the series however, with lots of candles, beautiful haircuts, distinctly cut leather armour and fur-trimmed cloaks aplenty. I do have to query why all this pageantry been assembled though - beyond providing a sort of Hercules: The Legendary Adventures for grown ups. And certainly the pilot boasts symbols of maturity - topless ladies appear every fifteen minutes or so, and brooding men with swords frequently use naughty words - but the whole thing, to me, seemed overbearingly camp and, unfortunately, riddled with adolescent preoccupations. Admittedly, there is serious subject matter here, with baddies engaged in incest and hints at the severe duties involved in courtly life, but I ultimately couldn't believe in the universe that the series-makers had fashioned for me, and as a result felt rather like I was watching people play dress-up rather than an exploration of the genuine issues to which the characters were party. So far then, the next big thing in the current Golden Age of TV this ain't.

I'm not suggesting that fans of the swords and sorcery genre won't enjoy Game of Thrones - I imagine that many will - but I would suggest that few viewers who don't will be won over by this pilots' limited charms. It is refreshing to see Peter Dinklage given a central role in a series, and it's also great to see Joseph Mawle receiving some prime-time exposure, but the cast are hard-pressed to convince while discussing such clangingly unreal topics as orphaned dire wolf pups or their eagerness to sell family members into sex slavery. And on that topic, the pilot's eagerness to see women sexually exploited is, to me, a little worrying, and risks alienating many potential viewers before it's even got going.

Undeniably, creating 'grown up' fantasy series' is a tough business, and Game of Thrones' pilot does seem to hint that there will be more depth to proceedings as things develop, but to put Game of Thrones on a level with other top-tier HBO or AMC output is unthinkable. Even The Walking Dead, the subject matter of which many might have thought beyond the interest of the average viewer, managed to fashion itself into a series that was, for the most part, mature and intriguing. Likewise, Mad Men's debut introduced us to a sexist culture in ways that left viewers reeling, and The Soprano's spent time exploring how counterproductive its characters' regressive views were, encouraging us to look at its characters as incredibly dangerous buffoons, and anything but stereotypes.

In its own pilot however, Game of Thrones fails to show any of this promise, or that, in this post-Gladiator, post-Lord of the Rings world, that 'fantasy' has grown up. Although fans of Sean Bean's work in The Black Death, or such similar efforts as Nicholas Cage's recent The Season of the Witch or Michael J. Bassett's Solomon Kane, might lap up Game of Thrones as a big step forward for the genre, those of us looking for nuance, tension, believability - or even plausibility - in a drama set in an imaginary world full of axes, horses and mud... well, it looks like we're destined to be disappointed by this one.
  3. Apr 17, 2011
    Through one episode this is a wonderful adaptation. The writers thought thru each line of dialogue giving us the viewer insight into the world of Westeros. The art direction and the production of the show is stellar. Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is amazing in his understated reserve but the true praise goes to Peter Dinklage. If the powers that be were to open their eyes to fantasy shows theyThrough one episode this is a wonderful adaptation. The writers thought thru each line of dialogue giving us the viewer insight into the world of Westeros. The art direction and the production of the show is stellar. Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is amazing in his understated reserve but the true praise goes to Peter Dinklage. If the powers that be were to open their eyes to fantasy shows they will see this piece of truly grand workmanship. Us geeks envisioned Peter as Tyrion and he truly brought the character to life. Granted he only has a couple of scenes and those scenes run for a mere seconds but they were doozies. Especially the scene with Jon Snow. Of course Ghost was to have tried to take a piece of him but hey you have to lose a few items during the adaption. If you have read the books then this is a winner. Expand
  4. Apr 22, 2011
    I am a HUGE fan of the ASOIAF books and have read them multiple times, so my while my expectations were admittedly low, my hopes were very high. My expectations were very low from having them dashed repeatedly by Hollywood treating epic series merely as potential cash cows and "watering" them down to cater to the unwashed masses (eg. The Legend of the Seeker tv series which was based onI am a HUGE fan of the ASOIAF books and have read them multiple times, so my while my expectations were admittedly low, my hopes were very high. My expectations were very low from having them dashed repeatedly by Hollywood treating epic series merely as potential cash cows and "watering" them down to cater to the unwashed masses (eg. The Legend of the Seeker tv series which was based on "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind.) My hopes were high because I really love ASOIAF and wanted something that wouldn't embarrass the books. Let's just say that I was completely blown away by just how accurately this show followed (as of Episode 1) follows the books. It's practically a scene by scene unfolding of the written text onto the tv screen. A lot of care and attention to detail had clearly gone into getting each scene and all the characters outfits and mannerisms as close to the books as possible. Everybody looked great and even little details that were in the books were present in the show, even if not mentioned. The acting was superb, especially by that of the person playing Tyrion, one of my favorite characters. The young and innocent Dany is also played really well. I can't wait until my other favorite, Arya, gets more screen time. Expand
  5. Apr 18, 2011
    The sprawling epic of George R.R. Martin has been successfully brought to the small screen. Production values equalling that of the previous HBO period drama Rome, the attention to detail is stunning. The casting is done masterfully, finding not only extremely fitting adult actors, but finding amazing new talent for the child and teenage characters. This is one series you'd better not miss.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    Looked incredible. Very strong cast and an excellent translation from book to screen. A lot of information to take in but it was handled well. The shocking end of the first episode left me desperate to see the next, and all my fears over how good they could make this adaptation have been put aside.
  7. Apr 18, 2011
    Great job so far! Exposition heavy, as pilots tend to go, but very captivating and extremely promising. Characters seem to just jump off the screen, and the extensive dialogue didn't seem to plod along, as it could have. Looking forward to future episodes, when the story starts really chugging along - plus, can't miss next week after that ending!
  8. Apr 18, 2011
    I had been looking forward to this show for well over a year, reading and watching every little tidbit I could find on-line. Having read and loved the book Game of Thrones is based on, I had high expectations. The show did not disappoint, the first episode was far and away the best hour of television I have ever seen. The characters from the book came to life through the amazingI had been looking forward to this show for well over a year, reading and watching every little tidbit I could find on-line. Having read and loved the book Game of Thrones is based on, I had high expectations. The show did not disappoint, the first episode was far and away the best hour of television I have ever seen. The characters from the book came to life through the amazing performances of the cast. Highlights include Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and Maisie Williams as Arya.

Some initial concerns were raised on adapting such a complex series to the small screen, that it might be difficult for the average viewer to follow. I think those fears may now be laid to rest as it seemed to me that the show was very clear and concise, though I shall leave it to the non-readers to answer this question better.

Regarding the plot, I thought the adaption worked very well in creating a beginning, middle and ending that left you wanting more. I don't want to give away any details so as not to spoil the show for anyone who has yet to watch it. Suffice to say it is well worth taking a look to see if it suits you or not.
  9. Apr 18, 2011
    The pilot episode was fantastic! First off, the acting was superb, and it was nice to see that many fan favorites were cast (sean bean, peter dinklage, charles dance, aidan gillen among others) and some new actors that look like they will make names for themselves in this :D. The show doesn't move very fast, but it's incredibly engrossing, and gives the feel of a true epic the way lord ofThe pilot episode was fantastic! First off, the acting was superb, and it was nice to see that many fan favorites were cast (sean bean, peter dinklage, charles dance, aidan gillen among others) and some new actors that look like they will make names for themselves in this :D. The show doesn't move very fast, but it's incredibly engrossing, and gives the feel of a true epic the way lord of the rings does. So far it has stayed really true to the book, and believe me when I tell you the show will only get better! If they stay the course, I can't even imagine how good this show will be... I'm so excited!!! Expand
  10. Apr 18, 2011
    For those of you who have not read the book, prepare for a wild ride! For those of you who have, this is the as faithful an adaptation as I have seen from book to film (or TV in this case.) Like Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Ring" trilogy, this series captures the tone and the emotion of the books perfectly, if not exact scenes and dialogue. With characters and situations as real and asFor those of you who have not read the book, prepare for a wild ride! For those of you who have, this is the as faithful an adaptation as I have seen from book to film (or TV in this case.) Like Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Ring" trilogy, this series captures the tone and the emotion of the books perfectly, if not exact scenes and dialogue. With characters and situations as real and as strong as any other literature genre out there, the slight fantasy found in "Game of Thrones" simply adds suspense and emotion to an already beautiful story. Expand
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    It's almost as wrong to give the show a 10 after one episode as it is to give it a 0 after one episode, but that's what I'm going to do. Not only because I enjoyed it, but because everyone I watched with (including one person who doesn't like fantasy, and the rest of whom would never read the books) all enjoyed it and got the gist of it. Some characters seem stereotypical, but I'm havingIt's almost as wrong to give the show a 10 after one episode as it is to give it a 0 after one episode, but that's what I'm going to do. Not only because I enjoyed it, but because everyone I watched with (including one person who doesn't like fantasy, and the rest of whom would never read the books) all enjoyed it and got the gist of it. Some characters seem stereotypical, but I'm having difficulty remembering any first episode that wasn't just as cliche. Certainly the first episode of the wire they were just gangbangers, cops, and the cops superiors. Nothing's a bigger cliche than cops arguing with their bosses. And there were some standouts, such as Dinklage, the dwarf (using the modern definition of dwarf) with a chip on his shoulder, Ned as John Wayne, and Harry Lloyd as the manic but spoiled exiled prince. In a usual story, the exiled prince would be the main character, the King Arthur to be that we can't wait to see get the throne. Here, we want to stab him.

There is a lot to take in, but it was less confusing than it could have been. Women have a hard time of it, all the more to see them overcome their station in the future. It feels a bit similar to Mad Men, or even the recent Boardwalk Empire, in this regard. Acting is great, and the dialogue is well written, saying a lot without blabbering on with boring exposition. If you aren't paying attention, you are likely to miss most of the subtext, and the nudity may distract from the story, but it's very much a part of it. It never feels as if the sex is meant to excite you, which may leave people expecting that in the dust.

All in all there were a lot of great scenes, the production design paid off, and the story seems to be heading to interesting places. We'll see how it holds up after a few more episodes. Most reviews say it gets better, which judging from the reactions of my family and friends, means we are in for some seriously fun tv.
  12. Apr 17, 2011
    I signed up for Metacritic just so I could write this review. The first episode is AWESOME! I haven't read the books, so I can''t comment on the adaptation, but this **** is real! I can't wait for the rest of the episodes, new favourite show :)
  13. Apr 18, 2011
    Well-paced, well-acted, well-shot--this is a piece glorious to behold! The production is beautiful, the dialog economical and exceptionally well-delivered, and it is smart in bringing Martin's writing to screen: the spirit is all there, the grim tone, and even the added scenes created to flesh out the characters and the world feel natural, as if lifted from the novels. That's when you knowWell-paced, well-acted, well-shot--this is a piece glorious to behold! The production is beautiful, the dialog economical and exceptionally well-delivered, and it is smart in bringing Martin's writing to screen: the spirit is all there, the grim tone, and even the added scenes created to flesh out the characters and the world feel natural, as if lifted from the novels. That's when you know the showrunners understand the story and deeply appreciates the complexities. Standouts include Peter Dinklage (Tyrion), Maisie Williams (Arya), Isaac (Bran), Kit Harrington (Jon), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn), Sean Bean (Ned), Harry Lloyd (Viserys), Mark Addy (Robert), and Lena Headey (Cersei). That's quite a big roster of favourites, but therein lies the truth: fans of the novel or not, Game of Thrones is a meaty spectacle with an astounding cast. You can't afford to miss this TV event of the year, folks! Expand
  14. Apr 18, 2011
    No one wants a long review but this show is capturing the series perfectly and there is a lot to look forward to. For anyone who is worried about it being cliche, one thing that this series does well is by having a cliche set up unfold in a very non cliche way.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    The show seems to be following the books quite closely, which is mostly good, however there where some parts that probably should have been cut from a tv adaptation. I'll keep watching this as long as they don't deviate significantly from the books. marquis_de_vaux - my advice is to not worry about the direction you think the show will go the plot should be incredible if you have the mindThe show seems to be following the books quite closely, which is mostly good, however there where some parts that probably should have been cut from a tv adaptation. I'll keep watching this as long as they don't deviate significantly from the books. marquis_de_vaux - my advice is to not worry about the direction you think the show will go the plot should be incredible if you have the mind to follow what is happening and can keep the characters straight. Expand
  16. Apr 18, 2011
    Very good adaptation, faithful to the tone and pace of the original novels. Actors and sets are amazing, it was a long wait but it is really worth it.
  17. Apr 18, 2011
    I never read the books, but I was immediately drawn into the world of GoT. There are a LOT of characters and they all seem complex and interesting. The look to the show is jaw dropping, I felt like I was watching an expensive Hollywood film. I'm also glad it's on HBO, not just because of the violence, nudity, language. But because none of the big networks would have allowed topics likeI never read the books, but I was immediately drawn into the world of GoT. There are a LOT of characters and they all seem complex and interesting. The look to the show is jaw dropping, I felt like I was watching an expensive Hollywood film. I'm also glad it's on HBO, not just because of the violence, nudity, language. But because none of the big networks would have allowed topics like incest to be involved in the storytelling. This is why Network television is crumbling and cable and premium channels are now soaring. Expand
  18. Apr 18, 2011
    I must say, it's turning out to be a good spring for TV drama: first "The Borgias," then "The Killing," now "Game of Thrones," all evidence that the medium hasn't entirely disappeared beneath the mire of "reality" or the treacle of pseudo-celebrity *ss-kissing. First edited history, then neo-noir, now medieval-inflected fantasy, all well-cast, intelligently written, powerfully filmed, andI must say, it's turning out to be a good spring for TV drama: first "The Borgias," then "The Killing," now "Game of Thrones," all evidence that the medium hasn't entirely disappeared beneath the mire of "reality" or the treacle of pseudo-celebrity *ss-kissing. First edited history, then neo-noir, now medieval-inflected fantasy, all well-cast, intelligently written, powerfully filmed, and brilliantly acted. Of the three, "Game of Thrones" seems to have the most characters and storylines onscreen, even after just the pilot and a few on-demand clips. Unlike some viewers, I did not find the pilot confusing (and, no, I haven't read the novel on which the series is based). Watching it a second time, I picked up a few bits of backstory that I missed the first time through, nothing too important. In fact, I think the series does an astonishing job of establishing and differentiating dozens of characters, conveying a keen sense of place (4 times), and setting up essential conflicts, without making us feel as though we're choking on exposition like the fat king chokes on swan. Yes, there's a "Tudors"-meets-"Spartacus" obsession with bare breasts, chiseled torsos, and just-severed heads dribbling blood (and more rear entry than in a whole season of "Wild Kingdom"), but there's also extremely imaginative design--not just of sets and costumes but of whole cultures, including at least one language. And the cast? I loved Sean Bean's under-utilized Odysseus from "Troy" and have been waiting ever since for him to get a good meaty lead, so I'm thrilled by his weary warlord, Eddard Stark. I can't tell yet about most of the others--there were just too many--though a few stood out. Peter Dinklage has won well-deserved kudos as Tyrion Lannister, the outsider best able to understand the bitter dynastic politics of his age--and to enjoy himself in spite of them. I was also quite impressed with Harry Lloyd, who plays Viserys Targaryen, the deposed heir obsessed with regaining his crown and prepared to barter his sister for the chance. Creepy but with just the right sense of entitlement. I'm looking forward to Sunday nights for the next few months, and I hope that I have enough company to persuade the networks to keep up the excellent work! Expand
  19. Apr 18, 2011
    As a long time fan of the series, I was very skeptical at first. In the opening scenes I found myself mentally comparing everything to my memory of what I had read. Eventually this comparison gave way to marveling out how smoothly the transition from print to screen had been pulled off. For those of you new to the series, stick with it and you'll see why the books have been soAs a long time fan of the series, I was very skeptical at first. In the opening scenes I found myself mentally comparing everything to my memory of what I had read. Eventually this comparison gave way to marveling out how smoothly the transition from print to screen had been pulled off. For those of you new to the series, stick with it and you'll see why the books have been so successful. I signed up for HBO just to watch this show, and so far I'm not regretting it in the slightest. Expand
  20. Apr 18, 2011
    I went in to premiere night expecting to be disappointed, but in the end my only complaints are things only multiple-read veterans of the book series would notice (or probably care about.) I guess it means HBO did a hell of a job here, if all I can throw out there is that I missed Arya getting mocked for her needlework, Jon sitting in the great hall during the feast and feeding his wolfI went in to premiere night expecting to be disappointed, but in the end my only complaints are things only multiple-read veterans of the book series would notice (or probably care about.) I guess it means HBO did a hell of a job here, if all I can throw out there is that I missed Arya getting mocked for her needlework, Jon sitting in the great hall during the feast and feeding his wolf under the table, or Dany finally telling Drogo "Yes" after his many No's. And Lord knows we can't always have everything, especially with a time limit involved.

Well done to everyone involved. If the pilot was this well done, we can all relax and safely expect the rest of the series to be gripping and wildly entertaining.
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    I loved the premiere episode. Some people seem to have issues with the pace and the jumps between scenes etc and I guess I can understand what they mean but when I watched it I didn't even notice a problem with things like that at all. I think it was a very good adaption of the books. The acting is good throughout and even excellent by many cast members even in smaller roles. I think thatI loved the premiere episode. Some people seem to have issues with the pace and the jumps between scenes etc and I guess I can understand what they mean but when I watched it I didn't even notice a problem with things like that at all. I think it was a very good adaption of the books. The acting is good throughout and even excellent by many cast members even in smaller roles. I think that having read the books puts certain things, that some have taken issue with (like sex and racism), into a perspective where it's not the same problem since you know more about the whole world and how various characters think. Expand
  22. Apr 18, 2011
    I can only comment on the first episode, but if this was a sign of what's to come, I will definitely be tuning in for the rest of the series. Great acting by the entire cast and quality of set design and costumes are through the roof. I can't wait to see more of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion.

Having read the novels, my only detraction would be they squeezed far too much plot in the first episode... the pacing seemed too frenetic and, really, the content should have been broken up across two episodes. There were some elements missing in terms of character development, and some plot pieces subtly altered for effect, but all in all, it seems to be true to the core of the novel. The only other ding is they are definitely leaving hints that Jaime Lannister has a more sypathetic side and is not as dastardly as superficially apparent -- something that does not come out in the novels until much, much later.
  23. Apr 19, 2011
    Attempting to create A Song of Fire and Ice into a successful television show was an impossible task for two reasons. Not only is it an adaptation of a novel, but it's an adaptation of a -fantasy- novel. As the creators of Legend of the Seeker or almost every high fantasy film ever can tell you, it's incredibly difficult to attract an audience to the genre. However, as tends to be the caseAttempting to create A Song of Fire and Ice into a successful television show was an impossible task for two reasons. Not only is it an adaptation of a novel, but it's an adaptation of a -fantasy- novel. As the creators of Legend of the Seeker or almost every high fantasy film ever can tell you, it's incredibly difficult to attract an audience to the genre. However, as tends to be the case with HBO, the creators have managed to pull it off. Breathtaking scenery brings Westeros to life in ways I never could have imagined. The characters, perfectly cast, are just as endearing, charming, and terrifyingly deceptive as they are in the novels. This truly is the "Lord of the Rings" of television, and a perfect placeholder for whatever portion of your heart misses Peter Jackson's epic trilogy. Expand
  24. Apr 23, 2011
    Well plotted and paced; excellent, has taken the fantasy genre to another level. Excellent masterpiece. I should also say that if this show is a commercial failure, or even a commercial mediocrity, I will never forgive society.
  25. Jun 27, 2011
    SPOILERS BELOW

SPOILERS BELOW

Maybe all the hype and fanboy-ish "professional" reviews have clouded people's minds, or maybe the world of "Idiocracy" has finally arrived, because I'm not sure how anyone can think this is really a good show. Allow me to explain: Point 1: Most of the characters are not really that interesting. Although it does have some good qualities, Game of Thrones' characters are not one of them. They're mostly trite, predictable, 1 dimensional genre stereotypes with very simple, blatantly obvious motivations. With yawning regularity anyone paying attention can reliably predict what they are about to do next. The actors are good, for the most part, but their characters taste like cardboard... no flavor. Point 2: The whole "Dothraki" thing is totally boring
    Was anyone else yawning when the story steps over the sea to the Dothraki? The Tagerian twit is so over the top with his "evil" that it's a relief when his character is finally offed, in a perfect example of the yawning predictability of this show, in a yawningly predictable way. The Drogo character earns Jason Momoa a 2nd award as "worst character on a TV show cast" since his Ronon Dex character ruined Stargate Atlantis. The eye makeup makes him look like a cross dresser and his delivery of lines is so bad that the camera doesn't stay on him when he gives them most of the time. In fact all the Dothraki characters are the most 1 dimensional of the cast. You could cut the entire Dothraki storyline from the show and nobody would notice that it's missing. Forgettable acting, bland characters, and pointless, trite, boring story. With one exception: the dragon chick. She's one of the more interesting characters. Too bad she's stuck in the worst part of the story. Point 3: The overall plot is just insanely predictable. Did anyone feel surprised by the unnecessarrily heavy handed foreshadowing of the invaders from the north? Was anyone shocked when the character that announced "I can't be trusted" in his dialogue betrayed the main character? Were you intruiged by the conflict emerging between the Starks and the Lannisters? The answer to all these questions is of course "No". Nothing in the basic plot of this show is even remotely as intruiging as the ancient history of the place: dragons, knights, wars and magic? Hell yeah! But dissapointingly we're told that all that good stuff died out 300 years before the petty and pedantic squables of the cardboard characters that the show focuses on today. In closing I have just one thing to say that should jolt some sense into all the irrationally appreciative yes men who've given this piece of forgettable work a great review: At any point during Rome, were you surprised by what happened? Hell yeah you were! Did you care when something bad happened to Varenus or Pullo? Hell yeah you did! Were you truely surprised by any of the plot developments of Game of Thrones? Nope. Did you feel the same when the main characters in Game of Thrones got banged up? Nope. If you want to see this over-hyped, over-fanboied show in it's true light, just compare it to something good. Kragen
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    Deep, noir, more alternatively historical then traditionally fantasy tv-show. Acting is just brilliant. Especially young Arja and Tyrion are exact match. Great job HBO!
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply stunning for a tv series. The costumes and scenery are spot on and really give the sense of gritty reality that permeates the show. While not exactly like the book, it is very close and it is obvious George the pirate (George Arr Arr Martin) has had a guiding hand in the production. It is great to live in a time where fantasy can finally be brought to the screen in all its glory.Simply stunning for a tv series. The costumes and scenery are spot on and really give the sense of gritty reality that permeates the show. While not exactly like the book, it is very close and it is obvious George the pirate (George Arr Arr Martin) has had a guiding hand in the production. It is great to live in a time where fantasy can finally be brought to the screen in all its glory. I pity the small minded individuals without any imagination that think the fantasy genre is just for kids. This series is going to be truly magnificent and we can only hope they will continue production with the second book once this is completed (which might actually make him finish writing the series finally) Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    Game of Thrones achieved something I didn't think was possible. It managed to capture the essence of the books, but in such an amazing way that even someone who hasn't read the books is able to follow the story.
    One thing I especially loved was the way they made show's intro a piece of an explanatory process. It shows you the world and the places the story is taking place so that you can have an idea of where exactly the characters are located.
    Being a huge fan of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series I'm extremely glad show lived up to all my expectations and I'm anxiously awaiting the upcoming episodes and am also extremely glad it already got renewed for the second season!
  29. Apr 23, 2011
    When I first heard of Game of Thrones, I was intrigued. I started reading the first book in the series and I love it. I say something on Gameinformer that said something like "Not as many noobs as Aseroth, ans not as eno as Middle-Earth." I think that quote fits perfectly. For anyone who enjoys fantasy, this should be a must watch.
  30. Apr 23, 2011
    I really enjoyed the entire episode. I am happy to finally have a show that reminds me of D&D and doesn't look like a $2 production or a kids show. The town was realistic looking and the characters behaved as I would expect them to in the dark ages. The way the episode started I thought wtf. I was on the edge of my seat awaiting a great sword battle. It didn't come but the White Skins madeI really enjoyed the entire episode. I am happy to finally have a show that reminds me of D&D and doesn't look like a $2 production or a kids show. The town was realistic looking and the characters behaved as I would expect them to in the dark ages. The way the episode started I thought wtf. I was on the edge of my seat awaiting a great sword battle. It didn't come but the White Skins made the scene just as exciting. I have never read the books and I'm not sure if I will. Thanks HBO for creating a show that us original D&D players and DL Chronicle readers can enjoy. Expand
  31. Apr 24, 2011
    Pace was always going to be difficult when trying to introduce this many characters, but under the circumstances they did a good job, its only going to get quicker from here. Really enjoyed the first episode.
  32. Apr 22, 2011
    Game of Thrones is the TV adaption from the books of George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire. Where television adaptions usually fail, Game of Thrones succeeds. The characters, cast, scenery, costume, etc., all looked incredible and had the feeling I was really a apart of this world. Although not every little detail was translated perfectly from the books, and some scenes I would haveGame of Thrones is the TV adaption from the books of George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire. Where television adaptions usually fail, Game of Thrones succeeds. The characters, cast, scenery, costume, etc., all looked incredible and had the feeling I was really a apart of this world. Although not every little detail was translated perfectly from the books, and some scenes I would have like to have seen were missing, the pilot episode was still grand achievement in setting down the main story.

The first episode tries it's best to set down this complex storyline. Some people might feel a little lost, or uncomfortable with this new world at first. You also have to keep in mind that this story is an adult story, and as I said, it is complex. For those who have never read the books and found the pilot interesting, trust me it gets better and better with each episode. Stick with it, and you'll get to witness one of the best stories ever told!
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    The first episode started VERY slowly, but it absolutely picked up, and it teased some really interesting conflicts to be explored in coming episodes. At one point, though, I figured I had accidentally recorded the porn parody Game of Thrones: Doggy Style. I initially featured it might be tough to follow the various storylines, but like The Wire, I'm willing to let some of it develop inThe first episode started VERY slowly, but it absolutely picked up, and it teased some really interesting conflicts to be explored in coming episodes. At one point, though, I figured I had accidentally recorded the porn parody Game of Thrones: Doggy Style. I initially featured it might be tough to follow the various storylines, but like The Wire, I'm willing to let some of it develop in a deconstructed fashion as we go. This "7" may well jump up a point or two by mid-season, I suspect. Expand
  34. Apr 21, 2011
    A great adaptation of the books. They changed just enough to make it a good tv experience, keeping the spirit of the books. The first chapters will be a bit slow, but it will only get better as all the characters are introducted, and the exposition isn't as needed for the non-readers.
  35. Jun 21, 2011
    It was the great geek hope. A good friend of mine told me this would change my mind about fantasy. But it didn't happen. I thought it was a cardinal rule of fantasy to have bearded dwarves and this was different. But beardless dwarves is not enough to make me want to go play miniatures and dice in a basement. The nudity was obviously gratuitous [edit score changed to 10]
  36. Apr 21, 2011
    A brilliant adaptation of George R. R. Martin's fantasy masterpiece. The book's cast of hundreds has been necessarily reduced to a cast of dozens, but this series will satisfy both devotees and newbies. The cast is excellent (particularly Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister Sean Bean as Eddard Stark), the sets and camera work are stellar, and the whole production brings a breath of freshA brilliant adaptation of George R. R. Martin's fantasy masterpiece. The book's cast of hundreds has been necessarily reduced to a cast of dozens, but this series will satisfy both devotees and newbies. The cast is excellent (particularly Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister Sean Bean as Eddard Stark), the sets and camera work are stellar, and the whole production brings a breath of fresh air to a stale genre. Expand
  37. Apr 23, 2011
    Fantastic series with extraordinarily high production values. The show does a sterling job in introducing some of the very large cast and making emotional connections early on. The story is fantastic and I cannot wait to see what the show has in store. This blows everything currently on television out of the water.
  38. Apr 25, 2011
    I will state from the beginning, I am a fan of the original book series. I went into the premiere having never seen an HBO show before, and I will admit, my expectations were low. To be able to condense all of the information from the book into a television series seemed like an impossible feat, but after watching the pilot I am confident that they can do it. The production quality wasI will state from the beginning, I am a fan of the original book series. I went into the premiere having never seen an HBO show before, and I will admit, my expectations were low. To be able to condense all of the information from the book into a television series seemed like an impossible feat, but after watching the pilot I am confident that they can do it. The production quality was astounding, the casting unbelievable, and altogether I believe this is a fantastic start to something greater. The action is convincing enough to keep viewers entertained, the subject material different enough to pull in people who haven't read the books, and the series as a whole is faithful enough to keep those who have read the series happy. It started strong and I am confident that it will stay that way. Expand
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic! I'm an avid reader of the books and, while scenes have been added, dialogue changed and other things altered, this adaptation, so far, remains very faithful.

The episode opens dramatically and closes even more dramatically, finishing with one of my favourite lines of the entire Song of Ice and Fire series of books. The CGI in places was a little off (for example when Bran is

The CGI in places was a little off (for example when Bran is clambering around the towers of Winterfell) but, on the whole, it's very well produced.

Overall, a fantastic start to what I hope will be the best season of television ever!
  40. Apr 24, 2011
    You have to give HBO credit for not only attempting to put this on the screen but also remaining faithful to the source material. Although I think "The White Walkers" sequence could have been handled better and that the Khal Drogo parts were a bit too stylized for my taste (They should have been dirtier and more brutish), overall HBO has done an amazing job. I'm looking forward toYou have to give HBO credit for not only attempting to put this on the screen but also remaining faithful to the source material. Although I think "The White Walkers" sequence could have been handled better and that the Khal Drogo parts were a bit too stylized for my taste (They should have been dirtier and more brutish), overall HBO has done an amazing job. I'm looking forward to watching it all unfold and seeing (as well as reading, if he ever decides to finish the book series) how it ends. Collapse
  41. Jul 18, 2012
    Okay so this doesn't deserve a "0" but I had to balance out some of the delusion around this show. Perhaps I was oversold on the show after reading rave review after rave review on every fan blog and being told by my friends it was the most amazing thing in the world. But I quickly found myself bored out of my mind. Things start to pick up a little by episode 5 but even at that point IOkay so this doesn't deserve a "0" but I had to balance out some of the delusion around this show. Perhaps I was oversold on the show after reading rave review after rave review on every fan blog and being told by my friends it was the most amazing thing in the world. But I quickly found myself bored out of my mind. Things start to pick up a little by episode 5 but even at that point I wasn't at all invested in any of the characters (and there are A LOT of them!). Aside from the little girl, none of the characters are remotely likeable. Her father is okay, but there wasn't enough development around him for me to really feel the need to root for him or be interested in what happens to him. Everyone else just simply sucked and it sucked even harder seeing them continue their streak of suckage episode after episode.

With that said, the scenery, set design, and costumes on the show are absolutely breathtaking. I'd rather watch a video tour of one of the kingdoms than have to keep watching any of the many **** characters ever again though.

Tip: If you haven't read the book before watching (which I didn't), it is recommended to at least read up on the plot synopses on Wikipedia or something to get a better grasp on the plot. With the many different characters, locations, and mythology within the show, it gets rather complex. For me it ultimately wasn't worth the extra effort though.
  42. Jun 21, 2011
    The first 5 minutes were atmospheric, cinematic (except for fake dead girl doll), but then it went downhill. It felt like I was flipping the channel between two late night cable shows and a national geographic nightmare. People talked a lot--idle chit chat. I had no problem getting the main characters, but I found them to be pre-made stereotypes. It was like I was peeking into theThe first 5 minutes were atmospheric, cinematic (except for fake dead girl doll), but then it went downhill. It felt like I was flipping the channel between two late night cable shows and a national geographic nightmare. People talked a lot--idle chit chat. I had no problem getting the main characters, but I found them to be pre-made stereotypes. It was like I was peeking into the fantasies of a 13 year old boy. And the narrative was telling me, not showing me, a bunch of information that I didn't care about, never helping care for any of these people or whatever situation they are in. The terrible editing was the final straw for me. The transitions between scenes were very disruptive, giving me no hope for immersion into the show. At last I became fully aware I was watching a show I didn't want to watch. I realized no amount of hype could get me to forgive the problems of the show and the fact that I am not in the target audience. I simply don't care for this world or its characters. I did see the last scene, the intended "wow, shocking, now you must come back" message but since I had absolutely no time to care for anyone, it felt like a great exit cue never to return. The episode was rushed. I think if they had slowed down and given me a sense of the world and what these people did, as if they were real and not just players on a stage, I would have been pulled in. I would give this show a score of 0 which I believe in metacritic terms equals a mixed review scoring 40. Expand
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have not seen any of the series. However, I have read and am a big fan of the books. So believe me when I say if the series is ANYTHING like the books, then get ready for lots and lots of graphic nasty cruelty and violence, rape, and incest. One of the main character relationships in the books is incestuous. That being said, it's a tough pill to swallow but doesn't detract from Martin's amazing ability to storytell, and in a dozen different places at the same time... and THEN effectively tie them together. He has an uncanny knack to mix politics and military strategy to get everything to make sense and have a purpose. Again... if the series is half anything like the books, then this series is definitely worth a look. Expand
  44. Apr 22, 2011
    So far, so good--honestly, it's a relief. The showrunners have really translated the books well (with both the book's strengths and weaknesses) and aside from a few casting decisions, I'm beyond satisfied so far. Hopefully i can say the same after this first season ends!
  45. Apr 22, 2011
    needed more monsters and less nudity how can I make that at least 150 characters long? ok it also needed less incest and more actual politics strategy and fighting. and maybe a real plot
  46. Apr 23, 2011
    Awesome show! Never read the the books but know someone who has and said it's pretty accurate so far.
    Has that Gladiator Lord of the rings feel to it. A must watch if your a fan of the two movies!
  47. Apr 25, 2011
    Magnificent, Game of Thrones is by far the best series I have seen to this day. Each episode so far has been packed with a rich and intriguing story that keeps you glued start to end, the only downsider is having to wait another week to watch the next episode ! For any of the uninitiated, I highly recommend the series but don't go into the show thinking of classical goblins, dragons etcMagnificent, Game of Thrones is by far the best series I have seen to this day. Each episode so far has been packed with a rich and intriguing story that keeps you glued start to end, the only downsider is having to wait another week to watch the next episode ! For any of the uninitiated, I highly recommend the series but don't go into the show thinking of classical goblins, dragons etc throw those used notions away and allow the series to absorb your interest you won't regret it.

My only regret is that I haven't read any of George R R Martins novels yet.
  48. Apr 26, 2011
    From all apects i found the show a breath of fresh air, with is no holds barred approach and decent acting i really look forward to its progression and seeing how it can continue to push the envolope and hopefully make the other networks work to have some shows that arent do it yourself renovation, cooking, celebrity crap, talk shows or the how hum CSI/COP/oh its a mystery that will go noFrom all apects i found the show a breath of fresh air, with is no holds barred approach and decent acting i really look forward to its progression and seeing how it can continue to push the envolope and hopefully make the other networks work to have some shows that arent do it yourself renovation, cooking, celebrity crap, talk shows or the how hum CSI/COP/oh its a mystery that will go no where show, such as LOST.

Well done keep the season moving.
  49. Apr 27, 2011
    It is very rare that an adaptation can live up to the images we keep in our heads from a book. Often I hear "the book was better". Occasionally I hear "the adaptation was better". This is quite literally the first time I've seen an adaptation that is simultaneously not the story I imagine from the book and yet still hits every note I think the story should have had. Extra scenes feel likeIt is very rare that an adaptation can live up to the images we keep in our heads from a book. Often I hear "the book was better". Occasionally I hear "the adaptation was better". This is quite literally the first time I've seen an adaptation that is simultaneously not the story I imagine from the book and yet still hits every note I think the story should have had. Extra scenes feel like added bonus material. Cut scenes feel like bonus information for book readers. Performances are fantastic. Sets are gorgeous. The music is awesome. Even the opening title sequence is inspired. Is it for non readers? I can't judge that, the biggest problem for them is avoiding spoilers on the net. All that said. This is a politics and power piece. This won't bring in the action fans, but it will have elements interesting to fans of horror, thrillers, suspense, mystery, historicals, and preludes to war. Those who demand shows adhere to their particular belief systems will also find many elements of the show distasteful. There is sex, violence, and squick, but they all serve the plot or symbolism rather than just be placed to titillate. If shots of pumping blood, disembowlment, or unpleasant sex so engross your mind that you can't pick up the quality of the rest of the performances, this show won't be for you. It's for people who like to eat steaks from sacred cows.

I find complaints about stereotypes in this show hilarious. One can't show people bucking a stereotype without setting them up as one to begin with, and one can't show people bucking an oppressive system without having that oppressive system to begin with.
  50. Apr 27, 2011
    The relationships of the book are well realized and the telling of
    much with subtle and nuanced performances all adds up to an intriguing
    show. As a personal preference I might have liked a slight toning down of the nudity but it's no major detraction and to be fair it is in good keeping with the source material. Importantly wherever there is vulgarity the acting is good enough to justify
    The relationships of the book are well realized and the telling of
    much with subtle and nuanced performances all adds up to an intriguing
    show.

As a personal preference I might have liked a slight toning down of
    the nudity but it's no major detraction and to be fair it is in good
    keeping with the source material. Importantly wherever there is
    vulgarity the acting is good enough to justify it by virtue of sheer
    personality.

The entire cast feels well chosen, particular favorites so far that
    have caught my attention by their emotionally loaded portrayals are
    Arya and Tyrion, but also John, Rob and Eddard which bodes well for
    the series at large since they are all such major characters.

The dire wolves and the medieval vistas are presented with a haunting
    level of authenticity that captures the imagination and stays grounded
    all at once.

The ill hid contempt of the Queen for her dwarf brother and the
    protectiveness of family both amongst the Starks and their rivals are
    portrayed easily and captivatingly. It's also what lays a solid
    foundation for the action.

Motivations, loyalties, ambitions, passions and embitterments are done
    pleasing justice with a script that suits the tone and atmosphere of
    a chaotic and embattled medieval society with teeth of corruption and
    claws of bravery, the series gives its own enhanced perspective and
    for as long as everyone is fighting out of their own hearts all is
    well in the lands of Westeros.
  51. Apr 22, 2011
    An extremely well-executed show. While deviating only a small amount from the books by George R.R. Martin, the series is able to make Westeros and Martin's universe seem more complicated and, paradoxically, more accessible at the same time. Excellent acting from the massive ensemble cast is impressive, and Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in particular deserve praise for reallyAn extremely well-executed show. While deviating only a small amount from the books by George R.R. Martin, the series is able to make Westeros and Martin's universe seem more complicated and, paradoxically, more accessible at the same time. Excellent acting from the massive ensemble cast is impressive, and Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in particular deserve praise for really making their characters come alive. Beautiful scenery and sets, and excellent costume design are simply icing on the cake. The show is not perfect. It receives low points in Special Effects (the dead wildlings at the beginning looked like they were made by B-Movie horror movie fans) , and the size of the case and similar appearance of many related characters makes keeping track of all the characters, especially the the Older Starks, Theon Greyjoy, etc. difficult. Expand
  52. Apr 23, 2011
    This review is a response to the review by marquis_de_vaux .

This review is a response to the review by marquis_de_vaux .

The pilot cover the first 7 chapters of the book and when I was at that point in the book, the story felt very "typical fantasy" to me, as well. After the pilot, the standard tropes of fantasy begin to be subverted and the story begins to differentiate itself from "traditional fantasy". The story at this point is very rushed and it is a shame that HBO only gave them 10 episodes when 12 would have let them taken a slower pace to tell the story. I think a 2 hours pilot would have given the producers room to tell the story in a less hurried way. Also, the dwarf in the TV show is not a member of a race of diminutive people, but an actual human suffering from dwarfism. There are no Elves, Dwarfs or Orcs as depicted in LOTR.
  53. May 13, 2011
    I have never read the books, so I thought I might get lost initially - my fears were unfounded however, this show is building something great that's equally brilliant in pace of story and character development.

Every episode gives more insight into the large character pool which is comparable to the excellent 'The Wire'. The depth of the various groups and individuals in Westeros blows me away more each week, and you get glimpses of what each focal character's potential has in store for them... I can only imagine how great this show is for readers of the books.... I really can't say enough about the quality and class of spectacle on show here - 10/10 with a big red cherry on top!
  54. May 17, 2011
    This show is just amazing. It features one of the best put together cast in recent times. Most of the actors are unknown; but boy can they act! Especially the young actors (Arya and Bran for example), they do a terrific job of playing their roles.
    As the show goes on you sympathize with their characters, you feel what they are going through. The show is full of deceit, backstabbing, violence, outstanding dialogues, intriguing characters and much more. I would even go as far as putting this show up with the likes of The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood and the Shield. It's by far one of the best shows in recent times.

Of course this show won't appeal to everyone. If you're not into the genre then there's a chance you will not enjoy all other amazing aspects of Game of Thrones.

A special note should go to the performances of Ned Stark (Sean Bean) and Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage). Especially the Imp :). He plays his character with so much wit and style that he even outclasses Sean Bean. He's by far the best actor in this series.
    He owns every scene he is in.

There is however one thing that I dislike about the show and that's King Robert (Mark Addy). I'm sorry but he's the weakest link here.
    Other than that, there's not much to dislike about Game of Thrones.
    I'm always a little sad that I have to wait another week for the next episode! haha.

oh and I like this show so much that I even went ahead and ordered the books :)
  55. Jun 21, 2011
  56. Apr 27, 2011
    The first episode did not live up to my expectations. I was worried. Then I got to thinking, most of my favorite HBO shows had somewhat rough premier episodes, especially compared with the later episodes once the series had hit its stride. It's easy to try to compare this against great shows like The Sopranos, but it's not a fair comparison. You'd be comparing the pilot episode againstThe first episode did not live up to my expectations. I was worried. Then I got to thinking, most of my favorite HBO shows had somewhat rough premier episodes, especially compared with the later episodes once the series had hit its stride. It's easy to try to compare this against great shows like The Sopranos, but it's not a fair comparison. You'd be comparing the pilot episode against all of your memories of an entire series of great television.

My worries vanished after the 2nd episode. It was great and really set the direction for the series. Now I see the first episode as "the meet and greet" -- getting to know the setting and the characters. In Episode 2, the series really began for me.

My chief complaint is the british accents. I understand that stereotypically, fantasy characters tend to have british accents, but I still don't like it. The author (George RR Martin) isn't british. In my head when I read the books no one had a british accent. I just find it distracting and I think the show would have reached a wider audience without the accents.

In conclusion, I hope everyone realizes that one or two episodes really is too early to accurately rate a TV show, particularly one of this scope. How it develops over the rest of the season will determine its success. To me, it looks like it's heading in the right direction.
  57. May 2, 2011
    Gratuitous nudity sells and this is no exception. Yes, I know I'm going against the flow but I don't find it particular compelling. Remove all the nudity and I would hazard to say that the ratings wouldn't be as high. So be honest, when you are watching the show are you genuinely interested in the next plot sequence, or are you anxiously waiting for the next nude scene?
  58. May 18, 2011
    Well Acted, scripted and directed. The story is Engaging and enthralling , this show has renewed my faith in television as an entertaining medium after years of being subjected to waves of drab mediocrity
  59. May 22, 2011
    I saw this in a magazine and because it was fantasy, I wasn't really bothered. I took the time to watch it and was amazed by the amount of effort HBO put in. It is as good as, if not better then Band of Brothers, the characters and their actors are amazing and it has a great story. I wouldn't recommend this to children though, its not like Lord of the Rings in any way and is much darkerI saw this in a magazine and because it was fantasy, I wasn't really bothered. I took the time to watch it and was amazed by the amount of effort HBO put in. It is as good as, if not better then Band of Brothers, the characters and their actors are amazing and it has a great story. I wouldn't recommend this to children though, its not like Lord of the Rings in any way and is much darker and grittier. The best TV series I have ever seen, truly outstanding work. Expand
  60. Jun 22, 2011
    Only HBO could make a show like Game of Thrones, and make it excellent.

I have not read a single page of George R.R. Martin's series of books. Considering the quality of story on the small screen, I may just hold out and wait to see HBO's (apparently very faithful) adaptation. This first season is fascinating. It has to create a fantasy world, for those who have read and not read (such
    Only HBO could make a show like Game of Thrones, and make it excellent.

This first season is fascinating. It has to create a fantasy world, for those who have read and not read (such as myself), that actually feels real. Through its course, it achieves this by building characters, relationships, and strong underlying themes, with the quality of production that is exclusive to HBO. To keep this brief, what makes this even more compelling: the first season is, essentially, prologue. It breaks the rules of television without being pretentious; it all builds layers that matter. I cannot wait for season 2 and beyond. Perhaps the wait alone will make me reconsider my decision not to read the books.
  61. Sep 16, 2011
    I had never even heard of G.R.R.M before HBO brought out the teasers, but boy am I glad I got educated. I absolutely loved Season 1 Game of Thrones. The characters, twists, turns, backstabbing, maneuvering, sex, battles, comedy, mystery, mystique, guts & glory. It's everything I ever wanted in a show, and everything I expect from HBO's quality programming. These guys know how to pick andI had never even heard of G.R.R.M before HBO brought out the teasers, but boy am I glad I got educated. I absolutely loved Season 1 Game of Thrones. The characters, twists, turns, backstabbing, maneuvering, sex, battles, comedy, mystery, mystique, guts & glory. It's everything I ever wanted in a show, and everything I expect from HBO's quality programming. These guys know how to pick and create winners. As much as I would like to go out and start reading Martins books, there is no way in hell I'm going to ruin this ride with spoilers. Until the curtains close on this outstanding series, I'll be content in my ignorance having never read a single page, all the while tuning in weekly to see what happens. HBO.... I'm pickin up what you're puttin down. Expand
  62. Nov 22, 2013
    Highly overrated series. 91% of its viewer's are only there for the nudity, sex and violence. This show is pretty much LotRs mixed with a bad porno. Garbage series
  63. Dec 1, 2013
    This is a sword and sorcery soup opera, not an engaging fantasy or adventure. If you like soap operas, and apparently a lot of people do, you'll like this. If you think soap operas are trash, you'll want to steer clear of this little chestnut.
  64. Apr 21, 2011
    I don't feel in the mood to try to awe everyone with my extensive flourishing vocabulary as most of the reviews I have read. I just want to put it plain and simple: Distracting editing clips. If I wanted to watch one set of boobies after another I do believe there are channels, and internet sites dedicated to that. The overall appeal of the storyline, was yes slow as Fantasy goes, but itI don't feel in the mood to try to awe everyone with my extensive flourishing vocabulary as most of the reviews I have read. I just want to put it plain and simple: Distracting editing clips. If I wanted to watch one set of boobies after another I do believe there are channels, and internet sites dedicated to that. The overall appeal of the storyline, was yes slow as Fantasy goes, but it very well set the stage for an interesting and heavy politicking scandal. Despite what some say, I generally like the acting by the main characters and feel that like most fantasy within the first few episodes we will be able to connect with them. I hope I get that far with the show.....after all if there isn't more STORY, less T&A, better scene changes, and yes better dialogue.....I highly doubt that in a world not our own the cuss words would be identical to ours....some Creativity would be appreciated. Or did HBO use up all there creative people in the set design, and costuming....which were much appreciated.

Well anyway I would really enjoy this series playing out in its fullest (that's why I signed up to write this review after all).....But if it doesn't move away from selling to teenage boys fantasies towards a Real Creative Work of Art I doubt it will.
  65. May 4, 2011
    A Game of Thrones asks the question: "What if the War of the Roses was fought not by two families, but over half a dozen? The show does justice to the extremely popular book series that it's based on. HBO has done a fine job of recreating the much loved characters, as well as the various sub-plots that they're involved in. While at the time of this review the different layers of conflictA Game of Thrones asks the question: "What if the War of the Roses was fought not by two families, but over half a dozen? The show does justice to the extremely popular book series that it's based on. HBO has done a fine job of recreating the much loved characters, as well as the various sub-plots that they're involved in. While at the time of this review the different layers of conflict haven't fully emerged, the stage is being well set for the chess game that is coming, with different characters as the pieces.

My only real concern is the level of back story new audiences are being asked to take in; the solution of which HBO is addressing through their Game of Thrones website which provides a great deal of explanation. This is a good solution to the commonly used tactic of having characters discuss back story that the involved characters are fully aware of.

HBO has also done a great job at finding ways to reduce costs while putting together a fine story; I only mention this because many fans are afraid of the show being cut due to costs. We can only hope that interest will remain high as this is a show that far surpasses the plethora of mind numbing sitcoms that are so popular amongst audiences today.
  66. May 9, 2011
    I have never read the book that this is based upon(Song of Ice and Fire I believe). But I will now. This is probably one of the best television series that I have ever watched. There is no sugar coating for the kiddies but a realistic portrayal of a dark gritty fantasy world complete with Shakespearean dramatics. The visuals and cinematography are some of the best I have seen for thisI have never read the book that this is based upon(Song of Ice and Fire I believe). But I will now. This is probably one of the best television series that I have ever watched. There is no sugar coating for the kiddies but a realistic portrayal of a dark gritty fantasy world complete with Shakespearean dramatics. The visuals and cinematography are some of the best I have seen for this genre. The acting is superb and draws the viewer into this realm like no other. If I could go higher than 10/10 I would. Expand
  67. May 15, 2011
    Through the first 5 episodes, I have watched A Game Of Thrones unfold much as the source material had done. Thus far, I have agreed with few of the alterations but much of the casting and abridgement. These of course are subjective, as is any criticism. For instance, I noticed early on that nearly every actor appears older than the characters in the book, and I liked this. In such aThrough the first 5 episodes, I have watched A Game Of Thrones unfold much as the source material had done. Thus far, I have agreed with few of the alterations but much of the casting and abridgement. These of course are subjective, as is any criticism. For instance, I noticed early on that nearly every actor appears older than the characters in the book, and I liked this. In such a setting, people would weather and age more quickly than they do in the here and now. Overall, the show has done well capturing the brutal, bare-knuckled style of George RR Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series.

There are those complaining of the nudity, the language, and the male-dominated society, and I wonder at their expectations. The show faithfully translates what a crude and barbaric world the source material describes. Of course, it is based on the European-style medieval times, which were very much like the books and the show. If you tuned into a World War Two movie/show, you should expect to see some awful violence.

More of the criticisms that (to me) seem reactionary and not well examined are those unsatisfied with how the shows compare to the critics' preconceptions of fantasy. Some deride the show for not having enough "proper" fantasy elements, while others feel it is indistinguishable from other fantasy. Interestingly, much of this is based on the first episode. Perhaps both groups might wait before summarily dismissing the project as unsatisfactory?

Fans of the books will probably be satisfied. People who haven't read the source material will probably discover (over time) that this series plumbs depths usually unseen in the genre. Thus far, I see much to like and a little to quibble with.
  68. May 16, 2011
    I've never cared much for fantasy, In fact I'll go as far to say that a lot of the time, I giggle at fantasy geeks, and their fantasy gibberish (oooh, a fancy gold ring that needs to be tossed into a volcano; oooh, a magical world with... dragons?) Granted, I have next to no knowledge when it comes to fantasy, but I love this show. The characters are so polished, and the worlds are soI've never cared much for fantasy, In fact I'll go as far to say that a lot of the time, I giggle at fantasy geeks, and their fantasy gibberish (oooh, a fancy gold ring that needs to be tossed into a volcano; oooh, a magical world with... dragons?) Granted, I have next to no knowledge when it comes to fantasy, but I love this show. The characters are so polished, and the worlds are so intensely immersing, that believing in a world of make believe becomes effortless. Almost as believable of major news networks, maybe even more so... *clears throat*. So bring on the dragons and the magic, I'm so heavily invested in the story that I'll believe it still even if at some point aliens are introduced. Okay, maybe not, so lets keep Mr. Spielberg away from this. Expand
  69. May 19, 2011
    Started with a bang and follows through perfectly. HBO has done the books a great justice. Not too over the top with adult subjects but just enough to pull you into it. The vast amount of background and lead-up knowledge the books provide isn't as much needed as you straight away get an idea of what characters are like. In a make-or-break genre this has come out roaring. We want more!
  70. May 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, so I'm a newcomer, I never read a George R.R. Martin novel, but I got interested in this TV series commercial. Here comes the big day first episode starts, and I get ... board. Seriously what we understand from the firs episode, very little! The world of Martins books isn't described , the purpose of the Wall isn't explained except that some" live" there zombies and kill people. Well for writers credit we can say that they tried to get audien's to all battle for the throne staff and tel us about relations in the royal family. Also it's annoying that they tray so hard to show that this movie is for adults buy hard language and sex sines. So in mz opinion main minuses are: lack of world Description THAT RAISES MANY QUESTIONS, very slow pacing.
    Main pluses: great costumes,great sets and good actors.
    This is my opinion, I don't think that it's 100% right I will continue to watch this show and maybe change my mind.
  71. Jun 2, 2011
    Really nice series so far; brilliant and entertaining and without compromises - should you compare it to the book. Also it's becoming clear this thing will rock your world even more as the second season starts off! I'm sure the show will grow up to be COLOSSAL in the best ways possible!
  72. Jul 30, 2011
    I was slightly skeptical about this show's ability to realise anything as ambitious as Martin's vast fantasy world on a TV budget, however large. Yet here it is: every penny spent with wit and panache. The week of waiting between episodes became almost physically painful. Yes, there's quite a bit of nudity (I haven't heard so much prudish wailing in years) but sex sells and there's a greatI was slightly skeptical about this show's ability to realise anything as ambitious as Martin's vast fantasy world on a TV budget, however large. Yet here it is: every penny spent with wit and panache. The week of waiting between episodes became almost physically painful. Yes, there's quite a bit of nudity (I haven't heard so much prudish wailing in years) but sex sells and there's a great deal of exploitative and cruel sexuality in the books. The script is tight and gripping, the sets astonishing, the acting of the highest level (with every part filled by some RADA luminary like Julian Glover or Aiden Gillan). The children are to be singled out for praise; both Arya and Bran are wonderful, and Joffrey is possibly the most loathesome person under 18 ever to appear on film or TV (Draco Malfoy is an angel by comparison with this little serpent). And Peter Dinkage. Lovely Peter Dinkage as the louche, drawling, smirking, boozing, wenching, witty, shifty, ironic, scheming and fundamentally decent Tyrion Lannister. If everyone else wasn't so excellent, I'd miss him the moment he disappears from the screen. Thankfully, the show shares that amazing quality that the books have; every story thread is as gripping and enchanting as the next. BACK to King's Landing. BACK to the Wall. Back to Winterfell. BACK to Pentos. The reader and now the viewer just keeps gettign fed course after course of the swiftest, gutsiest political fantasy I've ever seen. The tital sequence alone is enough to give me gooseflesh now. In my opinion, TV just got better than the movies. Expand
  73. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game of Porcelain Thrones

Art thrives on limitations, or it can also thrive on big budgets. But I have never seen art push so far to these two extremes that it becomes an overdone and overbearing nightmare that never gets to the point. It’s a chess game that never ends. I thought Law and Order was dull.

I truly believe that this book series would work better as Films, because cuts would be needed, and believe me, I would cut out a lot of scenes in the HBO series. Hell, I’d cut characters out altogether, Rob and Arya Stark, and the other Stark kid who has noodles for legs, and others. You can retire these characters with no warning right now and I would not have caught on. Until they do something important, I won’t care. Sorry, Mother of Dragons.

This show takes itself too seriously that there grey characters and grey persona's matches there grey on grey suits and landscapes, even when you see red and gold, its lies. It’s hard to care about The Kings Slayer when the biggest things he has done in the series is his sister, pushed a kid out a high window and had his stranger hand chopped off.

The only character that stands out in anyway is The Dwarf character, as he is the only person, character development wise, that actually is going places. He is not a good character, but he is the only hint of a character we have, and thank god for Peter, as he seems to be the only actor in the cast that genuinely enjoys his roll.

This show needs to learn to leave well enough alone, when to not drag and when to move on, learn to be comfortable with edit, and being serious and grey does not make this show epic or deep, let alone smart, it is just underwhelming. The Walking Dead isn’t this serious.

I’ll still watch GOT like a sports fan who still sticks with their bad team, but I’m hoping as the show goes on, it will dewrinkle all the issues I have had and finally make a story that is worth a damn.
    Put you pieces where they need to be and stop dicking around.
  74. Jun 7, 2013
    I'm reading the first book and I'm about 200 pages in, so all of this plot is still very fresh in my mind for what I just saw on Episode 1. I don't understand why this show has such high reviews...perhaps the obscene amounts of gore and nudity? I only watched Episode 1 of Season 1 and that is all I will watch, for reasons I will make known below. Before that, I would like to state thatI'm reading the first book and I'm about 200 pages in, so all of this plot is still very fresh in my mind for what I just saw on Episode 1. I don't understand why this show has such high reviews...perhaps the obscene amounts of gore and nudity? I only watched Episode 1 of Season 1 and that is all I will watch, for reasons I will make known below. Before that, I would like to state that this series may reflect the book, but it taints the reputation of the book and the reflection is not accurate in the least bit.

Characters: First of all, the ages of all the children are older than in the books...which I'm assuming will make nudity of the girls...more acceptable to the audience??? Jon Snow is not at ALL what I pictured him to be...I mean it gives a physical description of him in the book...so there's no excuse for that. However, most other characters do look a lot like I would have imagined (esp. Arya and Ned), just not Jon.

When the show began it completely butchered the scene of the Night Watch men who encountered the Others. The wildlings on the ground were not butchered and the man who deserted after the encounter only survived because he climbed up a tree. I know that seems like a small deviation, but for a series that claims to be so close to the book, the opening scene was screwed up. The execution of the deserter was handled well, but what about Bran's big question? Following the execution, the direwolves scene was mishandled as well. The actor playing Jon did not look as though he was caught off guard by finding the runt. Speaking of that, all of the plot was rushed much too much. The actors failed at capturing the nuances, pauses, and facial expressions that these characters make. I was frustrated throughout the whole episode because it seemed to rush to the nudity, which is FAR LESS IMPORTANT than, say, the scene where Ned and Robert were underground paying respects to the dead. That scene deserved more than it was given. They didn't bring Robert and Ned's relationship to life, instead they make Robert look like a man-whore and they made him look soft (as in fat is whole life). The king should be hardened, but with a softness that only Ned can bring out in him...Mark Addy is NOT Robert Baratheon. No, no, no. I'm so mad at myself for watching this because now all of the faces of the characters will be associated with the actors...Boo!

The sex scene with the Imp and all of the whores was completely fabricated...I mean that was just completely unnecessary. So many people are stating that this series handles sex maturely, but it takes something sacred and makes it absolutely disgusting. The book did not handle sex this way at all! Also, Daenerys is supposed to be a 13 year old virgin and the show had the actress who played her take part in two obscenely long nude scenes. I'm sorry (not really), but that actress does not act very innocent or afraid and I don't think she can because she is too willing to pull her drawers down. The sex scene between her and Drogo was not handled well either because it made Drogo seem way more barbaric than he actually is in the book (according to that specific scene in the book). They didn't have time to throw in the fact that he tenderly asked her for permission? I mean, really? That scene in the book ended in mutual agreement...(well as much as possible considering the circumstances). Now, the sex scene of Cersai and her brother was pretty much dead on for the book...I will admit that much.

Pros: The costumes, props, and scenery are somewhat nice. That's it. You can't build up a show on nice backdrops and cool clothing though.

Overall impression:

-The necessary scenes were rushed.
    -Important details were completely neglected.
    -Some characters are all wrong and the ages of the children are fudged.
    -Sex has devolved into a barbaric act of overpowering women.
    -Most of the nudity is unnecessary and is OVERWHELMINGLY uneven (all full-on naked women)
    -Props and scenery are nice.
    -Whorehouse scene completely fabricated.

PLEASE READ THE BOOK. You'll understand why so many of the people who read the book are angry.

Now I'm off to read the book some more, but I think I've made it quite obvious that this show has dragged down my overall "A Game of Thrones" experience. I don't even know if I'll finish it now, but I definitely won't be back to watch this ridiculous adaptation of it.

Last words:
    The actress playing Daenerys is so beyond wrong. I actually feel bad for the made-up character in the book!

BLEH!
  75. Oct 9, 2013
    Now I can't claim to be an expert on Game of Thrones because I have only seen the pilot episode, however, that one episode alone was enough for me to not want to watch a second, and develop a rather strong disliking for the acclaimed series. Game of Thrones is disturbing. Very, very disturbing, and not in a good way, if there is one. In the pilot episode alone there was so much sexualNow I can't claim to be an expert on Game of Thrones because I have only seen the pilot episode, however, that one episode alone was enough for me to not want to watch a second, and develop a rather strong disliking for the acclaimed series. Game of Thrones is disturbing. Very, very disturbing, and not in a good way, if there is one. In the pilot episode alone there was so much sexual violence and cruelty to women that I felt sick to my stomach. I have heard from friends who watch the series that this never gets any less. So you take a woman, make her a victim based on her gender and then give her the ability to control dragons and now you have a "deep" and powerful heroin. No, you have a victim who has been abused and now has the ability to control dragons. I cannot condone sexual violence in entertainment media. When you have writers capable of creating a show as original and with as much depth and story as Game of Thrones, it bewilders me how they have to resort to sexual violence and the demeaning and objectification of women in order to enthrall theirs viewers. Tell me, anyone who watches the show, what exactly would Game of Thrones be losing if it did not incorporate such hideous acts of violence against women? Are these central elements to the show? Well, I couldn't get past them, and I wasn't about to stomach any more of it when there are plenty of other shows that don't have it. Expand
  76. Dec 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Song of Ice and Fire books are really good and this show is really bad. Just read the books and skip this show. Worst mistake I made was watching Season 1. Expand
  77. Mar 3, 2014
    If you like to spend time on one-adjective-characters, good looking and clean costumes and nice landscapes and buildings: welcome to game of thrones.
    But if you want anything beyond that: leave it and don't even start.
    The simplicitiy of the plot and characters is stunning.
  78. May 8, 2011
    Long story short. This show is really good. If your looking for a typical fantasy with orcs, dragons and wizards along with sensless violence then game of thrones isn't for you. Overall great characters and great story! I strongly recommend this to anyone who doesnt watch desperate housewives.
  79. May 8, 2011
    If your somewhat a fan of fantasy stories and games, whats not to like? Really enjoy the story thus-far and I only hear from people who have read the book that it only gets far better. Really excited to see how the season will pan out!
  80. May 10, 2011
    Condensing GRRM's HUGE books into a doable HBO series, while also providing enough time for character development was a daunting task to say the least, but so far the characters are shining and I'm extremely impressed and excited. Well done, HBO. So very excited for this show!
  81. May 15, 2011
    Epic, amazing - hadn't read the books so I went out and bought them all. Making my way through the first one now and there are a few differences - mainly that they have cut some characters, which I guess makes sense as there is a load to remember in the book. I'm wondering now whether I should continue to read past where the show is up to - I think I will, from what I heard it only adds toEpic, amazing - hadn't read the books so I went out and bought them all. Making my way through the first one now and there are a few differences - mainly that they have cut some characters, which I guess makes sense as there is a load to remember in the book. I'm wondering now whether I should continue to read past where the show is up to - I think I will, from what I heard it only adds to the value. This is how fantasy should be done on TV. Expand
  82. May 25, 2011
    If I hadn't read the '...Ice & Fire' series, I'd rate GoT as a decent, politically charged fantasy which sadly lacks a serious visual punch. As a long time fan of the novels, I rate it as a faithful, well-casted politcally charged fantasy which sadly lacks a serious visual punch. The written versions of Westeros and Essos (the two main continents) are rich in geographical diversity,If I hadn't read the '...Ice & Fire' series, I'd rate GoT as a decent, politically charged fantasy which sadly lacks a serious visual punch. As a long time fan of the novels, I rate it as a faithful, well-casted politcally charged fantasy which sadly lacks a serious visual punch. The written versions of Westeros and Essos (the two main continents) are rich in geographical diversity, cultural amalgams and ancient lore, yet I find the rather drab aesthetics and lack of historical backdrop of the TV series a let down. Much of my admiration of the novels is the detailed histories of former power players and great houses. In GoT (TV), many characters are introduced in a short space of time, and without any real defining features or history of those said characters, they all seem to blur somewhat. When combined with as many references to it's own characters as GoT has, it creates a rather confusing "who are they talking about" scenario to a new viewer. That said, the majority of the cast can't be faulted, and is mainly solid with a few stand-out peformances, notably the ever-reliable Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. Dinklage is clearly a fan of the written works, and his adaptation of Tyrion is not only superb as standalone, but perfectly translated from book to screen. Whilst GoT sadly skips a lot of politics for the sake of story progression and pace, it still makes for good viewing and characters to care about. My own personal preferences for how it should look and feel are moot in terms of a review, in which case I'd definitely recommend it to anyone interested in fantasy/drama. A treat for the eyes it is not, an utter disappointment neither, but I can't help thinking it will be looked back on (perhaps after later series) as somewhat underwhelming. Expand
  83. May 26, 2011
    Simply amongst the best TV I've ever watched. In one word, Epic. The story, the characters, the drama, the darkness, this show has it all. It might be fantasy which is not to everyones tastes but the world of Westeros is so real and believable. The fact that a lot of this was shot in Northern Ireland makes me so proud. I must point out how dark this is however and my shock some people, forSimply amongst the best TV I've ever watched. In one word, Epic. The story, the characters, the drama, the darkness, this show has it all. It might be fantasy which is not to everyones tastes but the world of Westeros is so real and believable. The fact that a lot of this was shot in Northern Ireland makes me so proud. I must point out how dark this is however and my shock some people, for me that's a good thing. It makes Lord Of The Rings feel like its for kids. Real must watch TV. Expand
  84. May 27, 2011
    This is most definitely the best fantasy show of late. When looking at the user Score of 9.0 it is clear that the show is receiving fantastic feedback from a wide verity of viewers. I for one agree with the positive feedback i have seen here. Well done. TV show quality reaching better and better highs. Congratulations in order for producers & such :)
  85. Jun 1, 2011
    I love this show, it is intriguing, provocative, entertaining, and enjoyable. It's production is on a massive scale that one has to appreciate. It's also just fun to watch. The story has many subplots that tie into one another that most people should want to watch through to the end.
  86. Jun 5, 2011
    I came into Game of Thrones without knowing anything about it or the books behind it. I only heard about the series from the guys at machinima.com. I'm glad now I bothered to look it up as I have never enjoyed or watched a series quite like this. Each episode is more intense then the last and will leave you swearing at your TV when it finishes, it's no surprise that the series as earnedI came into Game of Thrones without knowing anything about it or the books behind it. I only heard about the series from the guys at machinima.com. I'm glad now I bothered to look it up as I have never enjoyed or watched a series quite like this. Each episode is more intense then the last and will leave you swearing at your TV when it finishes, it's no surprise that the series as earned the nick name "Game of Holy F#cks". Do yourself a favor and check it out... there's boobs ;) Expand
  87. Jun 19, 2011
    Recently, after repeatedly bullying and trolling the site winter is coming, the poster known as the smiling knight was banned from the site. As a retaliation, TSK decided to post here many reviews, and in all of them give the score 0. Check out his reviews. They are all written in the same tone, and all the user names he used have only that single review to them. He also takes care toRecently, after repeatedly bullying and trolling the site winter is coming, the poster known as the smiling knight was banned from the site. As a retaliation, TSK decided to post here many reviews, and in all of them give the score 0. Check out his reviews. They are all written in the same tone, and all the user names he used have only that single review to them. He also takes care to mention winter is coming, so the active members will understand that was an act of revenge. What a douche.

Don't mind him. This show is one of the best thing you can watch on television nowadays.
  88. Jun 19, 2011
    I've read the book and I can say the television stays true to the book. It is amazing how the producers were able to portray the geographical locations in the introduction, the myriad of unique and interesting characters, and combine the separate point of views of characters in a cohesive tapestry. The subtle details whether from facial expressions or the lifestyle of characters provide aI've read the book and I can say the television stays true to the book. It is amazing how the producers were able to portray the geographical locations in the introduction, the myriad of unique and interesting characters, and combine the separate point of views of characters in a cohesive tapestry. The subtle details whether from facial expressions or the lifestyle of characters provide a deeper understanding of George R.R's world. I give this a ten because I could not think of any better fantasy show with mature content and some ounce of realism Expand
  89. Jun 24, 2011
    Game of Thrones is a fun fantasy adventure series. It is similar in tone and substance to HBO series like Deadwood, the Wire, and the Sopranos. There are good people, bad people, people who simply will take advantage of circumstances, and so on. In other words, you have the whole broad collection of personalities. The set design, costumes, and special effects are all excellent. TheGame of Thrones is a fun fantasy adventure series. It is similar in tone and substance to HBO series like Deadwood, the Wire, and the Sopranos. There are good people, bad people, people who simply will take advantage of circumstances, and so on. In other words, you have the whole broad collection of personalities. The set design, costumes, and special effects are all excellent. The story arc is not overly complex, but it also isn't overly simplistic. You have a competition and jockeying for power among various noble families. Like with Julius Caesar, or the Prince, you can't say any of the nobles is purely good. But, the morality of the good ones is more follows a code, whereas that of the bad ones follows their own ambition. This show is vastly superior to awful "Madmen", simply because people are more realistic. They are not all egoistic individualists out of some crazy book like "The Fountainhead", instead they display the complex human emotion familiar to us all. It also has roles for both old and very young actors, and a real decent role for a midget rather than simply using him as a prop. Like the Wire it appreciates the aspects of minor characters. The reward for the audience is a fully realized world, that is much more organic and authentic than you would think possible. Considering it is made up world that is quite an achievement. While it is escapist fantasy, like any good drama it takes elements from real life. For example, there is a huge environmental danger looming in the series, a kind of ice age like winter lasting for at least a decade. Global warming is bringing just such a danger to our door in the coming years. Expand
  90. Apr 27, 2013
    Many of the early critical reviews have just dismissed this as a TV version of 'The Lord of the Rings'. I feel that is extremely unfair analysis of the show. Game of thrones is by far one of the best programmes on TV now, next to Breaking Bad. One of the brilliant aspects of the show is even though it is filled with magic and fantasy creatures, at its heart it is a thrilling political drama.
  91. May 22, 2011
    I haven't read the G.R.R. Martin books yet, but I definitely will now after watching the five episodes released so far. Excellent acting, engaging characters, darkly intriguing story, beautiful locations and sets with a somber gothic atmosphere. The soundtrack also does an awesome job of complimenting the tone without being a distraction. All in all awesome production values. I willI haven't read the G.R.R. Martin books yet, but I definitely will now after watching the five episodes released so far. Excellent acting, engaging characters, darkly intriguing story, beautiful locations and sets with a somber gothic atmosphere. The soundtrack also does an awesome job of complimenting the tone without being a distraction. All in all awesome production values. I will be buying the entire collection on dvd when it comes out. Expand
  92. May 22, 2011
    I loved the books, and at first I thought the show wasn't living up to its potential.

By the second episode I was hooked though, and it just gets better each episode. Even if I do remember what is coming the show still amazes.
  93. May 24, 2011
    There is very long time that a series does not attract my attention. Game of Thrones makes me eagerly waiting for the next chapter. Cast, scenario, storyline, everything was incredibly detailed. Probably the best of the year and expect it to win most of television academy honors. The best way to describe the series is that Game of Thrones is where Dungeons & Dragons meets Rome.
  94. May 24, 2011
    This series is really something special. Whether or not you enjoy "fantasy" is irrelevant, if you enjoy a great story, outstanding acting, incredible writing, and very high production values......you will love "Game Of Thrones". Watch a couple of episodes.....I DARE you quit watching!
  95. May 24, 2011
    Having seen six episodes so far, and being a huge fan of the books, I can happily say that this is the best fantasy series ever to appear on television, as well as a very faithful and excellent adaptation of the books. The acting is top notch, with stand-out performances by Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. My personal favorite among the cast is MaisieHaving seen six episodes so far, and being a huge fan of the books, I can happily say that this is the best fantasy series ever to appear on television, as well as a very faithful and excellent adaptation of the books. The acting is top notch, with stand-out performances by Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. My personal favorite among the cast is Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. The sets, costumes, and locations they use are all well designed and compliment the story. The music is good enough, but the only memorable tune I've heard so far is the opening theme (which is fantastic). If you go into Game of Thrones expecting typical fantasy fair (such as monsters and wizards) you will find a much different and 'realistic' take on a fantasy setting. Instead of spells and goblins you will find a gritty, politically charged world filled with intrigue and numerous compelling characters. This is a show everyone must see, regardless of whether or not you like fantasy. So far this is the best new TV show of the year, and as long as the next episodes and seasons remain high quality, it will be one of the best shows ever created. Expand
  96. May 25, 2011
    My initial reaction was 'meh'. After 2 and a bit episodes, I'm totally sold on GoT and am helplessly gripped after 6. This is the finest fantasy since Lord of the Rings to make its way onto film. Excellent.
  97. Jun 1, 2011
    Always been a casual fan of great fantasy literature - LOTR, Forgotten Realms, and even the occasional Dragonlance; GoT stands among them as one of the best, both in book and television form. Great characters, political intrigue and a hint of fantasy make for one epic story indeed. I'm glad I jumped on this series right away.
  98. Jun 6, 2011
    Excellent. The characters are rich, the plot twists and turns nicely. It's good to see something with the political intrigue and sophistication of some of the weightier HBO stuff nicely mixed in with some sword fighting and battles.... One of it's key strengths is building character and giving it all a palpable sense of danger. Plus, all the decent northerners speak with proper northernExcellent. The characters are rich, the plot twists and turns nicely. It's good to see something with the political intrigue and sophistication of some of the weightier HBO stuff nicely mixed in with some sword fighting and battles.... One of it's key strengths is building character and giving it all a palpable sense of danger. Plus, all the decent northerners speak with proper northern England accents like me! A BD purchase too I reckon... Expand
  99. Jun 20, 2011
    Having just watched ep 10, I truly feel this series gets it just right. Acting, production values, plot, intrigue are all in line with the feel and tone of the books. It has been over a decade since I started reading them and watching the series brought all of the major plot points right back as if I had just laid the books down. While the 9th ep is the best of the season, the last oneHaving just watched ep 10, I truly feel this series gets it just right. Acting, production values, plot, intrigue are all in line with the feel and tone of the books. It has been over a decade since I started reading them and watching the series brought all of the major plot points right back as if I had just laid the books down. While the 9th ep is the best of the season, the last one has set up the second season well and I can't wait for next spring. I just hope they plan more than 10 episodes! Expand
  100. Jun 21, 2011
    As someone who is a fan of the series written by George R. R. Martin, I was worried if TV could really capture the tension and drama and politics of the books, and my goodness, was I amazed. HBO has perfectly created the fantasy world of "A Song of Fire and Ice". All the actors, sets, props, and locations are perfect and nothing is out of place. While actors like Sean Bean, Mark Addy, andAs someone who is a fan of the series written by George R. R. Martin, I was worried if TV could really capture the tension and drama and politics of the books, and my goodness, was I amazed. HBO has perfectly created the fantasy world of "A Song of Fire and Ice". All the actors, sets, props, and locations are perfect and nothing is out of place. While actors like Sean Bean, Mark Addy, and Michelle Fairley do a bang up job of their characters, the real show stealers are the child actors. Not only does Game of Thrones feature one or two child characters, but several, and all of them are fantastic. If I had one bad thing to say about the show, its probably a little difficult to follow if you haven't read the books at first, but doesn't leave anyone behind in the end. I highly recommend this show to anyone looking for action, adventure, drama, and magic. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Apr 25, 2011
    The epic fantasy series is lavish, violent and often quite nasty. Most crucially, this adaptation of George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" book series is unnecessarily difficult to follow.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 18, 2011
    The gloriously bloody and depraved spirit of the novels is intact and even enhanced.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 18, 2011
    A grand soap opera of epic proportions, Game of Thrones can be a bit talky in some episodes, but the series draws a viewer in with well-defined characters and a multitude of simultaneous stories whose plot turns are generally unpredictable.