Grimm : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 28, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
7.8

1. Nov 7, 2011
    I'm giving this thing 5 episodes to break being a "Monster of the week" show. If secrets aren't told and plot doesn't move on by the fifth ep then I'm dumping it.
  2. Nov 7, 2011
    I like this show so far. It definitely has promise. It was a good first episode and a even better second episode so we'll see. Good story to the show and the acting seems fit. Im looking forward to whats to come.
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    Grimm is an interesting concept. The problem for Grimm is that there are already so many shows that deal with this kind of material that I'm not sure if they have set themselves apart enough to make a mark in the genre. I have high hopes, but not sure if they're going to get there or not.
  4. Dec 29, 2011
    This show is no more than an average TV show you can see anytime on a network like CBS it's not too impressive and it's not too boring. What the show need is to slow down and go at a slower pace and have a few more thrills and maybe then it can be a good show.
  5. Dec 1, 2013
    This show is decent. Not the greatest show ever but entertaining. It gets a little redundant at times and the Grimm's girlfriend, Juliette, looks like a chihuahua but it's worth a look.
  6. Nov 1, 2011
    GRIMM is an entertaining and fun TV series that, unfortunately, is brought down by it's horrible acting, bad make-up effects and derivative story line.
  7. Nov 4, 2011
    It doesn't work very well as a cop show due to poor writing and a lack of real tension. I'm already tired of the "oh there's someone in the dark, but it's only his wife" type shocks, so lazy. The lead is also bland beyond belief. I did like the look of the cinematography and atmospheric Portland setting, though it looked so much like Vancouver I just assumed it was filmed there.
  8. Nov 2, 2011
    The acting is great, the settings are wonderful, and the CG of the creatures transforming is awesome. Where this show falls flat is in two major areas: monster makeup and writing. When we see the CG of seemingly normal humans flashing into glimpses of their true monster nature, it looks creepy and amazing. And we thus expect creepy and amazing from the fully-transformed creatures as well.The acting is great, the settings are wonderful, and the CG of the creatures transforming is awesome. Where this show falls flat is in two major areas: monster makeup and writing. When we see the CG of seemingly normal humans flashing into glimpses of their true monster nature, it looks creepy and amazing. And we thus expect creepy and amazing from the fully-transformed creatures as well. Instead, we're left hanging with what looks like a man in cheap, rented wolf suit. In the opening scene, he jumps out so quickly it's hard to tell, but as we see these "Blutenbaaden" in a more serene setting later, we realize it's nothing for the crew to be proud of. Then there's the writing. The concept is amazing, but some scenes--like the scene where Nick first talks to the good Blutenbaad--are just cheesy. The point is good, the dialogue is terrible. Overall, the writers and the makeup artists will have to up their game for me to keep watching, but everything else is good enough for me to at least give Grimm a few more chances to save itself. Expand
  9. May 25, 2013
    It is difficult to watch Grimm without immediately drawing comparisons to Supernatural. Ok it may focus specifically on the stories of Grimm’s Fairytales but within the first fifteen minutes of the pilot Detective Burkhardt learns not only that he comes from a long line of monster hunters but also that his parents may have been killed as a result.

Much like a more orthodox police

Much like a more orthodox police procedural each episode of Grimm finds Burkhardt and his partner attempting to solve a different case and while this certainly makes for a watchable hour of television something more is required if I am going to come back week after week. Supernatural certainly has its fair share of standalone episodes but it was always the dark humour and evolving five season story arc involving the brother’s attempts to avert the apocalypse that kept me hooked and, while it certainly improved as the season progressed, I still found Grimm lacking slightly in both respects. Much of the cast, including lead David Giuntoli, are certainly competent enough but it is difficult to describe any of the characters, other than possibly his werewolf friend, as particularly memorable. In fact that can probably be said about the show as a whole, competent but unmemorable.
  10. Jun 6, 2012
    Some episodes are pretty good and they are the ones that are actually different. The rest of them stick to a formula, with Nick only being able to see creatures real faces and vice versa whenever it is convenient for the writers. The plot of the entire show would be impossible if the werewolf didn't just happen to decide to be good. Grimms have no powers and there is no supernatural loreSome episodes are pretty good and they are the ones that are actually different. The rest of them stick to a formula, with Nick only being able to see creatures real faces and vice versa whenever it is convenient for the writers. The plot of the entire show would be impossible if the werewolf didn't just happen to decide to be good. Grimms have no powers and there is no supernatural lore about silver bullets or anything so they are just ordinary boring guys shooting the creatures. Overall this show is way too much like an ordinary procedural and they really need to give the story arc a much bigger role. People say this does happen at the end of the season but we shouldn't have to watch an entire season of mediocre episodes first. Expand
  11. Dec 12, 2012
    Being part German myself, the use of the German language in the show is hillarious. Americans trying to speak German is just so cringe worthy. Kind of like a poorly dubbed Anime. The effects in this show are just laughable, and generally look terrible. Even with a low budget, a small team of 1st year animation students could have done better. This standard of FX would have been acceptableBeing part German myself, the use of the German language in the show is hillarious. Americans trying to speak German is just so cringe worthy. Kind of like a poorly dubbed Anime. The effects in this show are just laughable, and generally look terrible. Even with a low budget, a small team of 1st year animation students could have done better. This standard of FX would have been acceptable in the mid 90s, but not today. But aside from those negative points, I really like the idea behind it. The cast do an OK job and are likable, the episodes are entertaining and the lore is interesting (even though it is VERY loosely based on the actual Grimm tales.) Overall: An OK show that seriously needs to find a better FX crew and turn down the use of German (or learn to use it properly.) eg imagine if a German speaker tried speaking English and started calling Vampires "Long-Tooths." Seriously the creature names are REALLY, REALLY bad. Expand
  12. Jun 17, 2013
    The pilot was amazing, the ending was so good too, until I saw the second episode and then the third and realized this is not a continued storyline like once upon a time and I find that very sad. It does have a continuing storyline but also a new one every episode which just confuses you. Did not find it appealing g as much as once upon a time.
  13. Feb 24, 2014
    Some good episodes, some bad episodes. It can get a bit repetitive sometimes with similar elements in each episode. I also find the main character uninteresting and in need of character development throughout the seasons. The grimms circle of friends have personality that are likeable and I think make the series enjoyable.
  14. Aug 6, 2015
    Grimm is a nifty show, mainly because it's characters are surprisingly compelling. Monroe in particular is humorous and entertaining and probably the reason that I continued to watch. On the downside however, the stories can bore and the lack of plot progression leaves a lot to be desired. Whilst similar shows like Supernatural and American Horror Story are much better quality as are otherGrimm is a nifty show, mainly because it's characters are surprisingly compelling. Monroe in particular is humorous and entertaining and probably the reason that I continued to watch. On the downside however, the stories can bore and the lack of plot progression leaves a lot to be desired. Whilst similar shows like Supernatural and American Horror Story are much better quality as are other detective shows like Sherlock and True Detective. Grimm has satisfying comedy at it's disposal, but in truth is average and little more. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Oct 28, 2011
    Grimm is most alive in the scenes where Nick teams up with Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell), a monster who is trying hard to walk the straight path. These moments introduce some much-needed levity to a drama where every echoing slam of a file-cabinet drawer amounts to a portentous groan.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Oct 28, 2011
    Grimm has a low-rent Saturday Syfy vibe to it.
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Oct 28, 2011
    There's a potentially good supernatural cop show to be made, and certain pieces in place to make this into that. But the version you'll see on NBC tonight seems to be embracing the show's likely failure by being something few will miss if it doesn't work out.