• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 19, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.7

1. Apr 22, 2013
    Ok, so yes the pilot is a little rough and uncertain in all aspects from cinematography to acting to pacing. But give it to the end of episode 2 and it starts to pay off. From there it just gets better and better. Yes, this is a supernatural mystery horror melodrama, that's what you signed up for so hopefully that's what you want... but! But! For once you don't spend most of the show hating the main characters or yelling at the screen about how stupid they are being. I genuinely liked ALL of the characters and felt empathy for them, even for 'the bad guys'.

And there is some serious horror in there. Both of the psychological and gore based varieties.

If you liked Twin Peaks you will probably like this show, it does not have the brilliance of Lynch behind it... but it's a lot less difficult to watch than anything he has ever filmed.

All that said I didn't love the stingers at the end of season one... I did like that a day after finishing it I am still processing what happened in the last fine minutes of the show though. Here's hoping that they male all of that make sense in season 2!
  2. Apr 25, 2013
    Worth watching more than just the pilot. I enjoyed the series quite a bit. I felt it picked up a few episodes in, slowed down a bit in the middle, then picked up in the end. The acting aside from a couple characters was done really well.

There was quite a bit left unsolved and seems as though it is set up for a 2nd season.
  3. Jul 9, 2013
    Sometimes you can read the user reviews and see they are higher than the 'professional critics' reviews and think to yourself it's just some dumb ass teens or some idiot social media marketing gimp employed by the film company but here, the professionals are wrong. Hemlock grove was really really enjoyable! It has that kind of quirky Twin Peaks vibe and a kind of 'this is our style, get used to it' about it as a netflix original that house of cards had, that draws you in and makes you think someone up there in netflix towers is all about good drama and not set pieces designed to make you come back from the next ad break. Who keep burbling on about it being twilight?? It really IS NOT, its way more intimate and thought enjoyable, Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    Hemlock Grove is an amazing series, it is slow developing but so what, so is Game of Thrones. Its more murder mystery that happens to be set in a supernatural universe.
  5. Apr 22, 2013
    I watched the first seven episodes in one go, and I haven't been as entertained in a very long time. It was difficult to get away from the screen and into bed. It's three o'clock in the middle of the night and I'm working early.

Reading other reviews, the show seems like a "love it or hate it" kind of thing, although it seems to me that those who didn't like it only watched one episode
    or less.

Anyway, if you like mystery, horror, fantasy with a light dash of sci-fi, you should stop reading this silly review and go watch Hemlock Grove. Now.

And to Netflix: Keep this up and you can take all my money.
  6. Apr 19, 2013
    Besides Janssen's accent, the show is pretty good. Good acting, story is interesting. Creepy and weird at the same time. Hope for more great original series from Netflix.
  7. Apr 21, 2013
    A dark, gritty new supernatural murder mystery with an excellent cast of familiar faces. The plot is moderately intricate yet at times fails to deliver a clear transition on previously established plot devices. Don't expect this show to explain everything to you straight up there remains a certain level of mystery throughout the entire season. Can't wait for season 2!
  8. Apr 22, 2013
    Really liked this show, cinematography was gorgeous, interesting storyline. There is a uniqueness to it. Hope for season 2!
  9. Apr 22, 2013
    (Bear in mind; I'm only on episode 5 of season 1)....Hemlock Grove is trash. But just the kind of trash I was looking for. It's like Twin Peaks meets Twilight with a touch of mad scientist thrown in. The script's not great, nor is the acting, however the set and filming are satisfying. It's gross and lurid and corny; but somehow winds up being fun. It's like Twinkies for my brain. If you like trashy, cliche, murder mystery, horror, weird science, small town, teen angst, monster family drama; this show is for you. Expand
  10. Apr 22, 2013
    Great show, its like a new age twin peaks so far, acting isn't bad and I really like the season hoping for a season 2, I would like to see what a some of the characters develop into!!!!
  11. CKA
    Apr 23, 2013
    Great Show! Never judge a show based on the pilot (they are just introducing you to everyone, unfolding relationships and connections with everyone, building the story). By the end of the 2nd episode you are dying to know what happens next and to find out the details. Looking forward to a continuation.
  12. Apr 30, 2013
    It's a sad thing to see how crap TV has rotted the minds of most people. They can't see a good thing, even when all 13 episodes hit them smack in the face. There are professional critics out there comparing this to The Vampire Diaries which is unbelievable. I don't think I'll ever trust a critic again, because by and large, they've proven that they're not to be trusted and maybe illiterate as well.

Hemlock grove is a masterpiece, put simply. An effin' masterpiece. And if you can't see that then God help you. Seriously, I'm praying every night for God to help you. It's gorgeous to look at, it's gorgeous to listen to, and Famke? I wasn't a fan of hers from before, but her portrayal of a melodramatic pseudo-human mimicking her way through life was just lovely. What accent is she supposed to have she's not human, people, why would you expect her to pull out a perfect Judy Dench impersonation?

Skarsgard goes through it with the expression of a guy who *needs* to be on cocaine and should be on it, and I'd say he's the MVP of the show. He goes through the dialogue as if he's never been outside of Hemlock Grove a day in his life natural. Like a swan, the evil swagger just roles off him. The entire cast is recognizable though, and everybody does their role to the fullest extent.

If you want it fast, and flashy with less substance than a coke zero then this isn't for you. Recommended for people who can read, and have read something other than Twilight.
  13. May 5, 2013
    I absolutely love Hemlock Grove. I cannot wait for Season Two! Every show keeps you wanting more and more, it is so captivating. This show deserves a 100/100.
  14. May 5, 2013
    Absolutely love it! Can't get enough! Thought it was just one of those brainless teenage werewolf dramas. I was so wrong! It was smart, clever,with a new twist around every corner. I can't wait for season 2.
  15. May 6, 2013
    For being someone that does not get into series and stick with them, This show had me glued to Netflix. Hemlock Grove is an awesome series if you love a mystery world that's filled with werewolves and other creatures that seem human but have a dark side. I really hope that there will be a second Series!!
  16. May 14, 2013
    I stumbled onto this show by accident and spent the entire weekend watching it. Some of it was corny/stupid, but how silly was it if I couldn't stop...?
    It was beautiful omg, Olivia's outfits were to-die for, so to speak.
    I wished there was English subtitles for all the Romanian/Gypsy words.
    And I absolutely loved it. I then downloaded the book and will make an animal sacrifice to
    pray for a 2nd Season. Expand
  17. May 22, 2013
    Hemlock Grove is a good show. It starts off slow, but it's worth a chance. The bad reviews are from people who watched five minutes of the first episode.
  18. Jun 7, 2013
    What a weird, grotesque, slightly stupid & uniquely perplexing show. I've never been so confused, grossed out and shocked by a show in my life! It's so strange and full of gore, lose ends and eerie characters that I couldn't look away... it watches like a really long movie instead of like a show and no matter how much you keep guessing- you can't find much reason or rhyme for what happens... which makes it really fun to watch! Often one "answer" was accompanied by 10 more questions! No singular part of the show is great but it all works together to somehow "pull-off" a weird, dream like show that keeps the watcher guessing and interested. The acting is usually okay but sometimes lacked, however it was forgivable. The mood and shock factor was probably what made it such a unique viewing experience. I hope they decide to make a second season... would really love another "wtf?!" moment. Expand
  19. Jul 4, 2013
    This is a captivating new series. I easily lose interest in tv series but this it's unlike many I have seen. I do however suggest they try to speak to all viewers. There is a great deal of female nudity so I assume they believe the majority of viewers will be male, but on the contrary, I know four out of five of my friends whom watch this show are women.
  20. Jul 18, 2013
    I thought this series was great. I'm really glad it was renewed for a second season, even if it is shorter. I always say "If the critics don't like it, I will" and that still holds true here. Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but it's a really good show. I'm not a teen, I'm a 30yr old adult and I found it engaging, insightful and had some really great twists/ideas surrounding the supernatural. Different from all the other mundane ideas or the sparkly ones. 10/10. Looking forward to Season 2. Expand
  21. Jul 27, 2013
    Honestly I have to say Hemlock Grove is one of the best series i've ever watched. Needless to say I wasn't sure about it at first but once you get through the first episode it's addicting, I just cant wait till the second season!
  22. Jul 1, 2014
    I really enjoyed this show, it's unique and it doesn't hold back. I feel they did an excellent job with the cast and the special effects are top notch everything looks so realistic. I'm really looking forward to season 2.
  23. Aug 20, 2013
    This series separates itself from others "like it" by being vastly more mature gritty funny and mystical than them. There are moments in this fine series that are genuinely rapturous. It doesn't pull any punches. Character is woven into every scene. Force yourself to watch the first couple if you must. You will binge watch the rest and be left wanting more.
  24. Sep 24, 2013
    I don't get really engaged with a lot of shows, but this one drew me right in. It's like reading a book, revealing the story one page at a time. Love it and can't wait for season 2
  25. Sep 24, 2013
    I was actually surprised by how much I loved this show. It was actually well put together and had possibly the most realistic werewolf transformation I've ever seen! The characters are real interesting along with all their stories. Some episodes are real emotional. This is what it would be like to be a werewolf or vampire in real like. But be warned, this show does not sugar coat ANYTHING gore or sex wise and the story line will take you on a crazy ride! Expand
  26. Oct 29, 2013
    Think 'Twin Peaks' not 'Twilight.' Along with Janssen's accent, (which is supposed to sound as if she's from her own made up reality people, she's a fantastic actress and it took work to get that accent to sound so manufactured) the whole show is supposed to feel a little "off." The jokes misplaced, the demeanor of people exaggerated. You can't have the expectation of it being a "vampire show." It doesn't fit into that category. It's a murder mystery with an array of monsters. Some of them you know what they are, some of them you don't. Like what exactly is Shelley? Maybe we'll find out next season, maybe not. All you can count on for sure? It will be a ride. People without open minds are bound not to connect to the show. You have to be patient and not just watch the first 20 min of the first episode, jump to conclusions, and say it's a crap show. I think it's one of the best shows I've seen in the last handful of years at least. It's vexing and frustrating, beautiful and terrible. The look of the show is also one of the things I love. It's that dark, sort of yellowing around the edges feel. Oddly enough the only thing that continued to bother me throughout the whole season was how hairy they claim Peter is when he's just got normal to less than the average amount of body hair. Everything else I can wrap my head around. You just have to keep an open mind and not expect anything. Take it for what it is and enjoy! Expand
  27. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have only recently watched Hemlock Grove, in early November 13. And i have to say I thought the brooding, mystery of it all was phenomenal. Being a young adult I have completely indulged myself with the thirteen episode thriller. Dark demons and hidden depths suck you in and leave you speechless. The gore, fantastic. Completely gripping. And the characters, perfectly portrayed, exactly how they should be. As a budding actress myself and looking to go into the darker genre, i was glued to the screen, every actor and actress had that dark spark. It's not just the gorgeous guys i'm infatuated with either, the twists, romance, action and the supernatural element are thrown together in a way that suits this gruesome jaw-dropping series. I am definitely looking forward to the release of the second! And as for the werewolf transformation, it's never been done like that. I have spent countless hours trawling through all things supernatural. Never have I come across one so realistic and in detail. I'm really not sure what all these negative reviews are all about, they must be on the wrong site. Thank you Netflix! Expand
  28. Jul 13, 2014
    Beautiful and chaotic. Every conversation reads like poetry. Every set looks like an oil painting. Compeling characters, slow burn passionate story. My favorite show currently is "Rectify", but this is so much more fun that i think it really should be hemlock Grove. If this doesn't prove that critics are morons, nothing can.
  29. Dec 31, 2013
    I happen to come across the show when I was not sure what to watch, I am so glad I started watching it. I love the show and look forward to season 2. I also plan to tell my friend's and family in case they were not aware of the show so they are able to also become addicted to it lol
  30. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a huge werewolf fan so when I saw the title of this series I knew I was going to enjoy it. I did not expect what Hemlock Grove had in store. This series is constantly keeping you wondering & just when you think you have a character figured out something happens & your back to wondering, especially when it comes to trying to figure out if a character is good or bad, it seems everyone is a little bit of both especially the Godfrey family. The son Roman is a tortured rich kid that comes off as not entirely human, along with his mother Olivia (played by Famke Jannsen a.k.a Jean Grey/Phoenix in X*Men) who is so cold its scary. And his sister Shelley is a mystery of her own that seems like a questionable individual at first but before you know it you are rooting for her & her fight for independence from her control freak mother, with the help of her big brother who cares for her to the point of making any girl swoon. Peter Rumancek is a gypsy werewolf town outcast that moves to Hemlock with his mother (Lili Taylor!!) & befriends Roman regardless of their families "differences". The scene where the werewolf changes is by far the best turning scene I've ever seen, it gave me goose bumps & I had to rewatch it a few times. This series will keep you guessing & wondering & will make you want more & more, just when you think you know what's going on something challenges your theory. Hemlock Grove is exclusively on Netflix & worth it! I can't wait for season 2. The series is so great I've started reading the book its based on my Brian McGreevy, equally amazing & poetically beautiful. Expand
  31. Feb 9, 2014
    First let me just say~ WOW!!! Kudos Netflix!! Brilliant, suspenseful, VERY NEW materials adding to the usual mystery ordinarily associated w/ werewolves; etc. producing an awesome sense of wonderment that stays w/ u every episode. I'm perplexed by any rating under a ten....it REALLY is that good! Great choice in cast and such cast chemistry!! I love Famke Janssen! The neg review said over dramatic, but aren't most people? Her character is sometimes over dramatic which she makes awesome to watch tho! It's far better than I could've imagined a netflix original~No offense~Just thought low budget would be in order, ha! I was ever SO wrong! This show should be one of the classics of our time. It embodies everything people love watching right now. It BETTER have at LEAST 10 more seasons to come- anything less would just be wrong! Lol, jk 8 will work~I guess! I encourage all to give at least all 1st episode a try- b/c u will then be hooked!! Again SUPER, SUPER job to ALL involved on this film project~can't wait for more!! (^_^) Expand
  32. Lvy
    Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent series, the best horror, passion, mystery and love drama series I have seen so far!!!!!!
    I can't wait to see season two coming soon in New Zealand.
  33. Jul 6, 2014
    Wow just Wow I will start by saying I absolutely love this show. I just finished season one today and the whole premise is Epic in my opinion. The setting is Impeccable and very dreary in the best way possible. I love the characters in the show all of them shine but specifically "Landon Liboiron" as Peter Rumancek and "Bill Skarsgard" as Roman Godfrey. I will say that Eli Roth has such a creative imagination that shouldn't be overlooked nor is it in this show. I did expect a tad more violence then there was but that is to be expected due to character development. I would recommend this to anyone. I'm so excited for season two coming this Friday on July 11th!!!!! Expand
  34. May 12, 2014
    It reminds me of Twin Peaks in a way. I can understand if it's not somebodies cup of tea. I didn't see anything wrong with Famke Janssen's accent. She is playing an American with a British accent. I have British friends that have lived in America for a few decades and their accents aren't as refined as somebody who is living in the UK! Get over it!
  35. May 27, 2014
    Started kind of slow then the show sinks in. Very suspenseful with great characters. I commend the choice of actors. Overly sexual at times yet wonderfully gory.
  36. Jul 9, 2014
    When I first started watching this show, my husband and I laughed when we shouldn't have and I started to think it was horrible but I couldn't stop watching it. My husband gave up on it on episode 2 but I stayed the course and was pleasantly surprised to actually like Hemlock Grove for what it is. Does it have pacing issues? Yes. Are there accent issues? Yes. But i consider a show good if i can keep pushing through it and be thoroughly entertained.

So check this out if you are bored and cannot find anything on Netflix. And watch until at least episode 3 before you pass judgement. It is like LOST in that way.
  37. Jul 10, 2014
    A steady build-up to an epic finale of the season with very unexpected but brilliant conclusion. It was different from the rest of the tv series you'd usually watch in a positive way. Only negative thing i could say is that it felt almost as if the whole first season's purpose was to be a prologue for the main story to unfold in the upcoming seasons and i understand why some people would review the so called "prologue" season as a bad one but myself on the other hand don't really mind if it leads to an even more epic continuation of the series. I really recommend this for those interested in mystery and fantasy. Expand
  38. Jul 11, 2014
    This is like Anne Rice meets Stephen King . This thriller series is one of the best I have seen in a long time . Sorry True Blood but there is a new show in town . I give the acting and casting a 9 and plot and storyline a 9 and give it a 10 overall for bringing them together . Bill SkarsgÄrd (as Roman Godfrey) and Landon Liboiron ( as Peter Rumancek) have shown there is a future for young Hollywood. The only bad thing I have to say is 10 episodes for season 2 really ? This show leaves you wanting for more and I am already wanting to see season 3 . Expand
  39. Jul 17, 2014
    I really enjoyed this show. Sure, it's a little bizarre, but if you're a fan of the bizarre, then you'll love Hemlock Grove. Great acting too! I hope they don't cancel this show.
  40. Jul 27, 2014
    I really hope a season 3 comes out. I love the story line and all this show has to offer in entertainment.

I read some of the professional critics here, and I have to say that they are completely insane on their negativity. To be frank!....dear high paid critics, I'm sick of you guys and your bad taste in movies, shows, etc.

This story line is very rich, and offers great surprises.
    While critics will praise plots such as 50 Shades of Grey (which is JUST stupid - seriously), they can't see where normal veiwers like us simply enjoy these types of fun, suspenseful, mysterious, knee-jerking, old romantic types of plots! All cast is great, even the girl who played Shelly!

Here is the question: Would I prefer a movie like 50 Shades or a plot where I could yell at the TV..."What the Hell is that now?" And then, at the end, when all might have been solved, just keeling over - off my couch - because of a great cliffhanger. When one feels like this, then the writers did an awesome job! Please Netflix....Let Season 3 continue.
  41. Aug 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't wait until I find out what happens to Nadia,the baby and the journey to find her. Totally surprise ending for me. This is a very compelling show ,I was on the edge watching,it's been a long time since I watched something like this,amazing how at every twist and turn ,SUPRISE! Expand
  42. Aug 7, 2014
    Best show I've seen in a while. Love it!!! I hope they make a season 3!!!!!!!!! I'm so addicted. :) I don't know why they didn't come up with this one a long time ago.
  43. Sep 4, 2014
    Hemlock Grove (Season 1) is an amazing season! An incredible cast with awesome characters and an unexpected ending. If you like a good series get ready to be glued to the screen.
  44. Aug 23, 2014
    I'm really waiting on Netflix to renew this show. This is the only show I anticipate and supremely enjoy. Eli Roth is a genius, great acting, especially by Landon and Famke. The characters are interesting. What drew me in first season was the plot. I literally watched the show over again every night since February, when discovered, to the release of season 2. It's just something you don't see and it's refreshing. There is a reason Netflix picked the show up. Season 2 was completely different. But I trust Eli. I wonder if all seasons will be like American Horror Story where every season goes in a new direction. All in all, I love the show. I keep checking to see if it gets a renewal because then there will be nothing on television to watch really, if not. And I'll miss the actors altogether. Please don't axe the show, Netflix! Expand
  45. Sep 4, 2014
    I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS **** Seriously its an amazing show. I like Orange is the new black but nothing gets me going like Hemlock Grove.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    The Roth-directed drama is an almost unwatchable muddle of horror tropes and painfully creaky dialogue.
  2. Reviewed by: Jessica Shaw
    Apr 24, 2013
    Hemlock Grove takes its time with story lines, ensuring that each one has plenty of room to ripen. It carries out every dastardly deed with gusto, but still offers enough moments of levity.
  3. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Apr 24, 2013
    Hemlock Grove overall falls well short of anything resembling sustained brilliance. Still, each episode may well push just enough buttons to pull you along to the next one.