• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.2

1. Jan 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, if one is looking for a show similar to 24 but with more dialogue, then this is the show. It is surely entertaining. But then again this stupid american-patriotism and completely unrealistic plots just makes this show suck. Common the guy is "brainwashed" for 8 years and convinced to do a "terrorist" attack, but chooses not to do it because of some stupid phone call by his daughter. o rly? Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2011
    From my analysis the show is a decent premise with bad acting & not altogether the best casting and writing, but it does do well in managing to flesh out and use to their advantage American post 9/11 paranoia.
  3. Oct 28, 2011
    All I can say is, I watched 3 or 4 episodes of this and I was hoping it would pick up a little more but no it didn't so I stopped watching it it's to obvious that everyone is acting it's just bad acting and boring stuff the only entertainment in this is the Anna form V lol who plays the wife of the turncoat anyway that's it .
  4. Jan 21, 2012
    Awful and disappointing finale. Great idea became just another soap, with no balls to make things right in the end. Actors are great, despite over-hysterical agent.)
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    I didn't know Temple Grandin was in the CIA. Half a season in and I'm still waiting for this to go somewhere. Clare Danes is uncomfortable to watch in this role and for me, not believable.
  6. Dec 24, 2012
    Americans like me who lived/worked in an arab/muslim world would find it very hard to relate to this show. The Drama Homeland took an extremely delicate, serious and fundemantel problem facing the American/Arab/Islamic world, and transformed it into a silly and sad cowboys and indians circus show.

There are over 1.6 Billion! muslim in the world and for those like me who actually know arabs and muslims can share the frustration on how such an incredibely real world issue is sadly portrayed through the show's cast and crew. We have a lot to tell the muslims and they have a lot to tell us and they don't all speak in bombs language...

On the other hand, what in the world is wrong with our homeland security...?? honestly!? are we really that silly and incapable?
  7. Dec 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think it's natural to want to like something that is critically acclaimed, but try as I might I can't get into Homeland. The season certainly has its moments, specifically Claire Danes raw portrayal of a CIA agent on the edge; and it was fascinating to see how the writers managed to create a plausible scenario that could turn a loyal soldier into a terrorist (although more time could/should have been spent to evolve this from plausible to completely believable). But the series invested so much energy around the "Is Brody a terrorist or not" theme, that I never really felt any connection to the characters. Brody's family were essentially card board cutouts for the majority of the season. Possibly a second viewing of the season, after reflection, could change my opinion. Expand
  8. Mar 29, 2012
    Not bed but after the 5th episode it gets a bit flat but i still enjoy it. Could be a bit more inspiring but the plot is just outstanding it really keeps the story running .
  9. Oct 29, 2012
    It's the worst tv-show I ve seen by far. The characters are cliche, over reacted performances, the scenario is full of stereotypes. Same **** again and again for classic Americans. The whole thing is annoying, you cannot stand to like anyone even the little kids of Brody. The plot seems a bit predictable (1st season) and nothing really happens... I admit I did watch the whole seasonIt's the worst tv-show I ve seen by far. The characters are cliche, over reacted performances, the scenario is full of stereotypes. Same **** again and again for classic Americans. The whole thing is annoying, you cannot stand to like anyone even the little kids of Brody. The plot seems a bit predictable (1st season) and nothing really happens... I admit I did watch the whole season though... But it felt very problematic. Disappointed. Expand
  10. Oct 31, 2011
    This show has a good story and can be thrilling at some points I'll give it that, but I think that's as far as I'm willing to go. What bothers me most is the character Carrie Mathison, I refuse to believe that the CIA would ever hire her let a lone she is America's best chance. In each show she somehow finds the need to complain about something like my boss isn't giving me any support, orThis show has a good story and can be thrilling at some points I'll give it that, but I think that's as far as I'm willing to go. What bothers me most is the character Carrie Mathison, I refuse to believe that the CIA would ever hire her let a lone she is America's best chance. In each show she somehow finds the need to complain about something like my boss isn't giving me any support, or the government isn't giving me enough power, or I need drugs for my health which I keep secret, etc. I do want to see if Nick Brody has been turned, and I do want to see him caught if he has but I simply can't see Carrie Mathison being the person to save the day. That's my verdict. Expand
  11. Mar 29, 2012
    To put it simply, this show is American television for American viewers. It targets the market for post-9/11 paranoia and a revamped patriotism, but falls flat due to a tired storyline and acting that is not believable. Claire Danes winning the Golden Globe for best actress was an atrocity in my opinion. I find myself cringing (seriously) during some of her key performances in the show.To put it simply, this show is American television for American viewers. It targets the market for post-9/11 paranoia and a revamped patriotism, but falls flat due to a tired storyline and acting that is not believable. Claire Danes winning the Golden Globe for best actress was an atrocity in my opinion. I find myself cringing (seriously) during some of her key performances in the show. The scene when she has been drinking with Brody, stumbling into the parking lot, made me almost change the channel. I continued to watch the entire season, and plan on giving next season a chance, but there is not much character substance nor is there much to the plot. You can continuously add twists and turns but if you don't invoke a person to think about human experience or trigger emotions other than "Wow, and explosion!" then there is no payout for the viewer. Expand
  12. Jun 6, 2012
    I just finished watching Season 1. Not bad, not great. I'm not a big Damien Lewis fan, and he did nothing in this series to change my opinion. The CIA cast is great. The final episode was a real let down. Kind of epitomized the whole season. A lot of potential, just comes up short.
  13. Oct 5, 2012
    The Pros: Suspenseful, after some lenghts in the Pilot also fast paced writing, stellar performance by Claire Danes and very good performances by the rest of the cast.
    The Cons: Theres not much depth here if youre interested in the real inner workings of the CIA. On the contrary, the "unorthodox" way Danes' character is working and her relationship with the other main character demands quite some suspension-of-disbelief willingness from the viewer. Thats why i will stop watching it, cause realism is the one thing that cannot be absent from a show like this.
  14. Aug 9, 2013
    Yes, I know it's fiction but it doesn't seem remotely realistic. I hope we really don't have emotionally challenged nymphomaniacs in the upper ranks of US security.
  15. Dec 12, 2013
    It's really too bad there is so much profit motivation in continuing a series that it runs off the rails. The acting on this show is pretty good. But it is also too bad that the writer's didn't just do a modicum of research into what real covert agents actually do. Actually, Carrie's character is some kind of hybrid between an analyst and a covert operative. They are two entirelyIt's really too bad there is so much profit motivation in continuing a series that it runs off the rails. The acting on this show is pretty good. But it is also too bad that the writer's didn't just do a modicum of research into what real covert agents actually do. Actually, Carrie's character is some kind of hybrid between an analyst and a covert operative. They are two entirely different branches of the CIA. And her boss. He's so stupid, the CIA would have tossed his application for employment in the nearest round file. But she is far more believable than Brody. He started out unbelievable and has only become more so as the series has worn on. Drama is all about the willing suspension of disbelief. The only way you could do that is to have swallowed those two bottles of pill that Carrie did in her half-hearted (not nearly enough for lethality) suicide attempt on the episode I watched (Season 2, Ep. 3). I have really wanted to like this, (I'm a great fan of REALISTIC spy stories) but it is becoming more difficult to watch each time. Clare Danes is a fine actress and Damian Lewis is a good actor as well and likewise Mandy Patinkin. They deserve better material (Maybe not the boss!) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Oct 3, 2011
    What seems like a straightforward question--Is Nick a traitor to his country?--might be the most devilishly complicated thing to answer, and definitely worth pursuing in this complex show.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Oct 3, 2011
    Homeland is an absolutely riveting immersion in the paranoia and burnout of America after a decade of the war on terrorism.
  3. Reviewed by: Jonathan Storm
    Oct 3, 2011
    It's no lie to say you don't get this sort of stylish and challenging stuff very frequently on TV, adult subject matter treated maturely in a series that makes you squirm and think.