House of Cards (2013) : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Feb 1, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
9.0

1. Feb 1, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! Loved it, from the beginning to the end of the first 2 episodes I've watched. It has the David Fincher mood in it, Kevin Spacey's constant neutrality in every bit of the show in a really cold blooded character, and the fluidity in which the story unfolds. Seriously, great show, watch it if you can, or get 1 month free on Netflix just to watch this. Best premiere I'veAbsolutely amazing! Loved it, from the beginning to the end of the first 2 episodes I've watched. It has the David Fincher mood in it, Kevin Spacey's constant neutrality in every bit of the show in a really cold blooded character, and the fluidity in which the story unfolds. Seriously, great show, watch it if you can, or get 1 month free on Netflix just to watch this. Best premiere I've seen in a series for a LONG time, maybe the best since Breaking Bad. Expand
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    I wholeheartedly suggest that before starting the first episode, you get munchies set up along side you and strap yourself in with a seat-belt for the ride of your life. Kevin Spacey was born to be Francis Underwood. I have not seen in my 65 years any political drama that is so engrossing. The characters are real to life, with everyday problems. When you are watching the story unfold,I wholeheartedly suggest that before starting the first episode, you get munchies set up along side you and strap yourself in with a seat-belt for the ride of your life. Kevin Spacey was born to be Francis Underwood. I have not seen in my 65 years any political drama that is so engrossing. The characters are real to life, with everyday problems. When you are watching the story unfold, think about the present day politics........ Expand
  3. Aug 14, 2014
    While Bryan Cranston as Walter White in Breaking Bad will likely remain my favorite portrayal of all time, Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood is currently my second. I love this show. The director is incredible and for the most part, the writing and performances are believable ....what a compelling show. I cannot wait for season 3.
  4. Jul 26, 2013
    If you watch the first 10 minutes be for warned, you may have to watch all episodes. I watched the 1990 version set in England. It was good but this was great. Keven Spacy sinks his teeth into this part like only he can do. This is really good.
  5. Jul 2, 2014
    Great cast. Fantastic script. The dialogue, the characters, and the plot itself are very interesting and highly entertaining. Decided to give this show a try after some glowing recommendations from my friends, and I honestly watched the first six episodes in one day because I couldn't get enough of it.

As an aside, I love the whole releasing all the episodes at once deal so that you can watch the season in your own time.
  6. Sep 6, 2013
    House of Cards is highly political but party agnostic, stripping politicians down to what they truly are. Kevin Spacey delivers. Welcome to the party, Netflix!
  7. Mar 3, 2013
    This is not a show for idealists. There are no heroes, and at best the characters you meet are ambiguous or are victim to their lesser angels. But as a study in the pursuit of power the show excels. And though the plot starts slow and methodical, by the end the different story lines weave together powerfully. A few of the characters are underdeveloped (the President and Chief of Staff,This is not a show for idealists. There are no heroes, and at best the characters you meet are ambiguous or are victim to their lesser angels. But as a study in the pursuit of power the show excels. And though the plot starts slow and methodical, by the end the different story lines weave together powerfully. A few of the characters are underdeveloped (the President and Chief of Staff, both seem underwhelmingly small compared to the protagonists), but the cast overall is solid. Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood and Corey Stoll as Peter Russo are fantastic. The cinematography is dark and sophisticated and perfectly suited to the subject matter. There could be some stronger female characters: West Wing this show is not but where's C.J. Cregg? That aside, this show got so strong by the end and was a joy to watch. Can't wait till Season 2. Expand
  8. May 15, 2013
    I went into house of cards expecting a fairly mundane and diatribe on the horrible corrupt politicians and how terrible it is, and to an extent that's what I got but ultimately the acting was incredibly well done (Everyone is complaining about Zoe, but her monotone etc. was part of her character). The characters while not relate able were well done and believable. The filming, scripts,I went into house of cards expecting a fairly mundane and diatribe on the horrible corrupt politicians and how terrible it is, and to an extent that's what I got but ultimately the acting was incredibly well done (Everyone is complaining about Zoe, but her monotone etc. was part of her character). The characters while not relate able were well done and believable. The filming, scripts, story etc. were all incredible, great show, glad I got to see it. Great job Netflix. Expand
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    Kevin Spacey at his finest, couldn't stop watching, ripped through a season in 2 days! Dark and mischievous, great acting from the supporters as well...highly recommended...
  10. Aug 19, 2013
    House of Cards did not let me down, the show which delivered an incredible almost cinematic presence in my own home simply glowed. House of Cards follows US Representative Frank Underwood who after being refused a promotion he was promised moves forward to exact revenge on those who betrayed him.

As I said before the show itself presents itself in an almost cinematic persona. From its camera shots to its darker color scheme, the show has such a big onscreen presence that for all I knew I could have been in a cinema while watching this addictive thriller. The great thing about Netflix making an original drama is it gets rid of the weeks of waiting to find out what happens next, all I have to do is watch about 15 seconds of credits and it will jump straight to the next episode. It’s brilliant.

The show itself contains heart-stopping acting, I could actually see Kevin Spacey being Frank Underwood, there was no hint of who any of the actors where in real life, every single one of them put in such strong performances that I just had to see what they were going to do next. Not a single shody actor in the whole series.

The show is written and directed to perfection. With the first two episodes directed by David Fincher they are just obviously sublime. Despite David Fincher not directing any of the other episodes there is no decline in quality, he might as well of directed them all. The show continues on the high standards it started on while continuously upping its anti in entertainment value.

With great twists and turns House of Cards will keep you on your seat and wondering is 15 seconds to long of a wait for the next episode?
  11. Aug 26, 2013
    They should have left Francis as a self-serving egomaniac or even penned him as an unscrupulous wheeler dealer. But they crossed the line when they made him a murderer. If I wanted to watch a show about a murdering manipulator I’d watch DEXTER where the characters morph from lovable to ethically questionable and then back again. And the only real bad guy is Dexter, but he’s so gosh darnThey should have left Francis as a self-serving egomaniac or even penned him as an unscrupulous wheeler dealer. But they crossed the line when they made him a murderer. If I wanted to watch a show about a murdering manipulator I’d watch DEXTER where the characters morph from lovable to ethically questionable and then back again. And the only real bad guy is Dexter, but he’s so gosh darn lovable that you want to overlook the fact that he’s a serial killer…and besides he only kills people that deserve it. Francis murdered a congressman who didn’t deserve to die, he was pathetic, yes, but hardly deserved to die. Ethics is a grey area…but murder is not. The producers should have set this up better, so the viewers would want to keep following the antics of Francis. And besides Dexter is kinda cute and Kevin Spacey, well, isn’t at all…not even a little. People need a character to put their hope in; if not for the sake of the show then for humanity in general. Without hope its just a bunch of despicable characters & clashing bodies lacking purpose or reason.There needs to be the faintest sense of virtue or hope. And lets face it 'House of Cards' isn’t exactly brimming with virtuous characters, they’re all fairly detestable. Francis is so hubris that he’s funny in his unscrupulous underhanded dealing.But the producers blew it by turning him into a murderer. Now, in order to save the show, they will need to come up with some quick conspiracy to bring the congressman ‘back to life’. That's the only way this show can be saved. The viewers are not so callus as to simply condone a murder and then plod along precariously with the protagonist as if it never happened. There is only two ways this will end…and neither is good: Francis gets caught for his crime OR he doesn’t get caught for his crime; either way the show is pretty much ruined. Expand
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The writing is nothing short of brilliant. SPOILER ALERT: STOP READING NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SERIES.

Spacey's asides draw us into his confidence, but we are slowly inclined to betray him as the series progresses--just as other characters do.

It's an amazing affect I've never experienced, and it's utterly absorbing.

This is not interactive tv, but it feels like it. And we are drawn into the action as we learn every characters' weaknesses and desires.

Little things matter, too: The subtle change in Claire's character when the homeless man fashioned the twenty dollar donation into a swan and flicked it at her. Genius. Moments like that make great drama.

winston Q summers
  13. Oct 9, 2013
    House of Cards is a highly intelligent adult drama regarding corrupt politicians and one devious man's vengeance against the system that wronged him. It's clever, witty and dangerous. Unfortunately, not all of the episodes contain these elements. Some of them are very boring, dull, and super slow moving which is why I can't rate the show higher than a 7. At times, Kevin Spacey's characterHouse of Cards is a highly intelligent adult drama regarding corrupt politicians and one devious man's vengeance against the system that wronged him. It's clever, witty and dangerous. Unfortunately, not all of the episodes contain these elements. Some of them are very boring, dull, and super slow moving which is why I can't rate the show higher than a 7. At times, Kevin Spacey's character does things that are downright unlikable, and sometimes it's hard to get behind him, but for the most part, he's pretty badass. I'd recommend this show to fan's of The West Wing, Veep, Death Note, Boston Legal, and The Blacklist. Does that list seem as random to you as it does to me? I bet it does, but all those shows are very intelligent in their writing and their use of their character's witt. Expand
  14. Feb 9, 2014
    Binge-watching season one which is rehabilitating depraved regions of my primordial reptile brain and making them feel smarter and socially acceptable
  15. Oct 11, 2015
    Who: Kevin Spacey, Jenny Gump, and the world's most dedicated bodyguard
    What: The most entertaining White House since the Clinton administration
    Where: A corrupt White House full of betrayal, foul play, and pushing people under the bus. The twist is, POTUS is a democrat ​When (will I be addicted to this show): If Kevin Spacey's monologue at the end of episode 3 doesn't do it for you,
    Who: Kevin Spacey, Jenny Gump, and the world's most dedicated bodyguard
    What: The most entertaining White House since the Clinton administration
    ​When (will I be addicted to this show): If Kevin Spacey's monologue at the end of episode 3 doesn't do it for you, this show might not be for you. Otherwise you will be begging for more by the end of the first season
    Why: You should watch this show if you are a fan of Kevin Spacey or Political Dramas. If Scandal is too tame, or if Martin Sheen doesn't kill enough people for your liking, then this show is for you.
  16. Feb 5, 2013
    Fantastic series. Watched all of the episodes last weekend. Now I have to wait a year for Season 2. Not that carzy about the Kate Mara character. If you liked this series check out the BBC original.
  17. Feb 2, 2013
    THE WEST WING TIMES A 100 WITH DARK HUMOR AND EXCELLENT DIALOGUE. This is a must to watch, DO NOT hesitate to see this amazing show. Spacey you are excellent, the charisma that he has with his wife and uniquely cunning portrayal of blackmailing Washington style jipper jabber. Will define the new generation of television.
  18. Feb 1, 2013
    Terrific show; Incredible performances, sharp writing, and, of course, David effing Fincher at the helm. This show is destined to be a classic. Between this, and the return of Arrested Development, Netflix has outdone itself.
  19. Feb 2, 2013
    I'd watch the whole series, but I need to sleep. I'm at chapter 5. Well done Netflix, cast, and crew. My subscription is starting to pay off. Not sure why it cost a $100M to make though.
  20. Feb 2, 2013
    Aside from Breaking Bad, House of Cards is better than anything currently airing on TV. Acting, cinematography, music, and plot are as good or better than most big budget Hollywood movies. In fact, I think it's better to think of this as a movie divided into 13 parts instead of as a traditional TV show. House of Cards is the first step (leap) in making broadcast television irrelevant. IAside from Breaking Bad, House of Cards is better than anything currently airing on TV. Acting, cinematography, music, and plot are as good or better than most big budget Hollywood movies. In fact, I think it's better to think of this as a movie divided into 13 parts instead of as a traditional TV show. House of Cards is the first step (leap) in making broadcast television irrelevant. I have no doubt that some critics have been told to keep that fact in mind. Expand
  21. Feb 2, 2013
    Best political show with West Wing. Shows the underbelly of American politics with no apologies. Love the occasional aside from the main character to the viewer giving a little more in depth information about what is going on. I am hooked. Started the series today and could not stop watching it.Netflix produces better tv than any of the 4 networks could ever hope to. Love that the leadBest political show with West Wing. Shows the underbelly of American politics with no apologies. Love the occasional aside from the main character to the viewer giving a little more in depth information about what is going on. I am hooked. Started the series today and could not stop watching it.Netflix produces better tv than any of the 4 networks could ever hope to. Love that the lead character is from my home state of SC but that part of the state does not like the dems very much lol. Expand
  22. Feb 3, 2013
    I must say that I had low expectations for this show, but boy cell was I wrong. The acting is phenomenal, the writing is excellent, and the entire show is very professionally made. HBO watch out, Netflix proved that it knows how to produce shows. My only warning about this show is that it is very difficult to only watch one episode in one sitting. Once you start watching it you won't wantI must say that I had low expectations for this show, but boy cell was I wrong. The acting is phenomenal, the writing is excellent, and the entire show is very professionally made. HBO watch out, Netflix proved that it knows how to produce shows. My only warning about this show is that it is very difficult to only watch one episode in one sitting. Once you start watching it you won't want to stop. You've been warned. Expand
  23. Feb 1, 2013
    Brilliantly written, brilliant acted, and David Fincher and his friends have created one of the most thrilling and addicting shows in a long time. I haven't seen a show so stylish and engaging since Breaking Bad premiered in 2008. You will instantly love this show.
  24. Feb 1, 2013
    Exciting and creative show. Comparable to any HBO or Showtimes series. Acting, writing, camera work, directing..all are superb. Kevin Spacey always delivers and Robin Wright is excellent.
  25. Feb 1, 2013
    I loved it! Kevin Spacey does a great job. i liked the whole cast of actors. I wanted to immediately watch another episode! But seeing as it is after midnight.... Can't wait to see more. I think Netfix has got a hit.
  26. Feb 3, 2013
    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this show. Uncompromising, dark but not cartoonishly dark. The show is at its absolute best when its following the gritty mercenary style of Washington politics. I recommend it highly.
  27. Feb 3, 2013
    If you enjoy the quality of dramatic television that HBO offers, then you will certainly enjoy House of Cards. This is Fincher's masterpiece. It's also hard to see anyone standing in Kevin Spacey's way of at least getting nominated for major awards next award season. House of Cards catches you from the very first scene, and doesn't let the grip go until you have burned through all theIf you enjoy the quality of dramatic television that HBO offers, then you will certainly enjoy House of Cards. This is Fincher's masterpiece. It's also hard to see anyone standing in Kevin Spacey's way of at least getting nominated for major awards next award season. House of Cards catches you from the very first scene, and doesn't let the grip go until you have burned through all the episodes. Whether you watch them all in a 24 hour period as I did, or spread them out over more time, this is a safe bet for your entertainment enjoyment. Not since HBO's The Sopranos has such a show redefined the boundaries of what this form of entertainment can achieve. Expand
  28. Feb 1, 2013
    The pilot was wonderful! The beginning was a bit eh, but it quickly rose from there. A wonderful show worth watching, it's a great thing that Netflix just released all of the episodes at once.
  29. Feb 2, 2013
    Terrific first episode to Netflix's first original series. Kevin Spacey's performance is incredible as expected and I'm sure the rest of the season will keep steam until the finale. The new season of Arrested Development will prove that television is just as important on streaming as it is during the weekdays on channels such as Fox and AMC. Hopefully Netflix will purchase the rights toTerrific first episode to Netflix's first original series. Kevin Spacey's performance is incredible as expected and I'm sure the rest of the season will keep steam until the finale. The new season of Arrested Development will prove that television is just as important on streaming as it is during the weekdays on channels such as Fox and AMC. Hopefully Netflix will purchase the rights to Jericho and continue the story for that as well. Netflix has proved itself as a worthy competitor for the next Golden Globe Awards because this show is a winner. Expand
  30. Feb 2, 2013
    This is a winner! I found Lillyhammer disappointing and i doubted Netflix could turn out product to compete with HBO. But I was wrong. House of Cards production quality is top drawer, the acting is choice, the multiple plot lines intriguing, and the dialogue is smart, well crafted and original. This is NOT a rehash of tired memes the Oval Office, Watergate and the like. It has theThis is a winner! I found Lillyhammer disappointing and i doubted Netflix could turn out product to compete with HBO. But I was wrong. House of Cards production quality is top drawer, the acting is choice, the multiple plot lines intriguing, and the dialogue is smart, well crafted and original. This is NOT a rehash of tired memes the Oval Office, Watergate and the like. It has the quality that HBO USED to have in the days of Rome, Sopranos, Carnivale, Six Feet Under, and Deadwood. Move over HBO what you've been producing these days is mediocre and there's a new kid in town! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.