• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 1, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
9.0

1. Feb 1, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! Loved it, from the beginning to the end of the first 2 episodes I've watched. It has the David Fincher mood in it, Kevin Spacey's constant neutrality in every bit of the show in a really cold blooded character, and the fluidity in which the story unfolds. Seriously, great show, watch it if you can, or get 1 month free on Netflix just to watch this. Best premiere I'veAbsolutely amazing! Loved it, from the beginning to the end of the first 2 episodes I've watched. It has the David Fincher mood in it, Kevin Spacey's constant neutrality in every bit of the show in a really cold blooded character, and the fluidity in which the story unfolds. Seriously, great show, watch it if you can, or get 1 month free on Netflix just to watch this. Best premiere I've seen in a series for a LONG time, maybe the best since Breaking Bad. Expand
  2. Feb 2, 2013
    THE WEST WING TIMES A 100 WITH DARK HUMOR AND EXCELLENT DIALOGUE. This is a must to watch, DO NOT hesitate to see this amazing show. Spacey you are excellent, the charisma that he has with his wife and uniquely cunning portrayal of blackmailing Washington style jipper jabber. Will define the new generation of television.
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    Brilliantly written, brilliant acted, and David Fincher and his friends have created one of the most thrilling and addicting shows in a long time. I haven't seen a show so stylish and engaging since Breaking Bad premiered in 2008. You will instantly love this show.
  4. Feb 1, 2013
    The pilot was wonderful! The beginning was a bit eh, but it quickly rose from there. A wonderful show worth watching, it's a great thing that Netflix just released all of the episodes at once.
  5. Feb 1, 2013
    Terrific show; Incredible performances, sharp writing, and, of course, David effing Fincher at the helm. This show is destined to be a classic. Between this, and the return of Arrested Development, Netflix has outdone itself.
  6. Feb 2, 2013
    I'd watch the whole series, but I need to sleep. I'm at chapter 5. Well done Netflix, cast, and crew. My subscription is starting to pay off. Not sure why it cost a $100M to make though.
  7. Feb 2, 2013
    Aside from Breaking Bad, House of Cards is better than anything currently airing on TV. Acting, cinematography, music, and plot are as good or better than most big budget Hollywood movies. In fact, I think it's better to think of this as a movie divided into 13 parts instead of as a traditional TV show. House of Cards is the first step (leap) in making broadcast television irrelevant. IAside from Breaking Bad, House of Cards is better than anything currently airing on TV. Acting, cinematography, music, and plot are as good or better than most big budget Hollywood movies. In fact, I think it's better to think of this as a movie divided into 13 parts instead of as a traditional TV show. House of Cards is the first step (leap) in making broadcast television irrelevant. I have no doubt that some critics have been told to keep that fact in mind. Expand
  8. Feb 2, 2013
    Best political show with West Wing. Shows the underbelly of American politics with no apologies. Love the occasional aside from the main character to the viewer giving a little more in depth information about what is going on. I am hooked. Started the series today and could not stop watching it.Netflix produces better tv than any of the 4 networks could ever hope to. Love that the leadBest political show with West Wing. Shows the underbelly of American politics with no apologies. Love the occasional aside from the main character to the viewer giving a little more in depth information about what is going on. I am hooked. Started the series today and could not stop watching it.Netflix produces better tv than any of the 4 networks could ever hope to. Love that the lead character is from my home state of SC but that part of the state does not like the dems very much lol. Expand
  9. Feb 3, 2013
    I must say that I had low expectations for this show, but boy cell was I wrong. The acting is phenomenal, the writing is excellent, and the entire show is very professionally made. HBO watch out, Netflix proved that it knows how to produce shows. My only warning about this show is that it is very difficult to only watch one episode in one sitting. Once you start watching it you won't wantI must say that I had low expectations for this show, but boy cell was I wrong. The acting is phenomenal, the writing is excellent, and the entire show is very professionally made. HBO watch out, Netflix proved that it knows how to produce shows. My only warning about this show is that it is very difficult to only watch one episode in one sitting. Once you start watching it you won't want to stop. You've been warned. Expand
  10. Feb 1, 2013
    Exciting and creative show. Comparable to any HBO or Showtimes series. Acting, writing, camera work, directing..all are superb. Kevin Spacey always delivers and Robin Wright is excellent.
  11. Feb 1, 2013
    I loved it! Kevin Spacey does a great job. i liked the whole cast of actors. I wanted to immediately watch another episode! But seeing as it is after midnight.... Can't wait to see more. I think Netfix has got a hit.
  12. Feb 3, 2013
    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this show. Uncompromising, dark but not cartoonishly dark. The show is at its absolute best when its following the gritty mercenary style of Washington politics. I recommend it highly.
  13. Feb 3, 2013
    If you enjoy the quality of dramatic television that HBO offers, then you will certainly enjoy House of Cards. This is Fincher's masterpiece. It's also hard to see anyone standing in Kevin Spacey's way of at least getting nominated for major awards next award season. House of Cards catches you from the very first scene, and doesn't let the grip go until you have burned through all theIf you enjoy the quality of dramatic television that HBO offers, then you will certainly enjoy House of Cards. This is Fincher's masterpiece. It's also hard to see anyone standing in Kevin Spacey's way of at least getting nominated for major awards next award season. House of Cards catches you from the very first scene, and doesn't let the grip go until you have burned through all the episodes. Whether you watch them all in a 24 hour period as I did, or spread them out over more time, this is a safe bet for your entertainment enjoyment. Not since HBO's The Sopranos has such a show redefined the boundaries of what this form of entertainment can achieve. Expand
  14. Feb 2, 2013
    Terrific first episode to Netflix's first original series. Kevin Spacey's performance is incredible as expected and I'm sure the rest of the season will keep steam until the finale. The new season of Arrested Development will prove that television is just as important on streaming as it is during the weekdays on channels such as Fox and AMC. Hopefully Netflix will purchase the rights toTerrific first episode to Netflix's first original series. Kevin Spacey's performance is incredible as expected and I'm sure the rest of the season will keep steam until the finale. The new season of Arrested Development will prove that television is just as important on streaming as it is during the weekdays on channels such as Fox and AMC. Hopefully Netflix will purchase the rights to Jericho and continue the story for that as well. Netflix has proved itself as a worthy competitor for the next Golden Globe Awards because this show is a winner. Expand
  15. Feb 5, 2013
    Fantastic series. Watched all of the episodes last weekend. Now I have to wait a year for Season 2. Not that carzy about the Kate Mara character. If you liked this series check out the BBC original.
  16. Feb 2, 2013
    This is a winner! I found Lillyhammer disappointing and i doubted Netflix could turn out product to compete with HBO. But I was wrong. House of Cards production quality is top drawer, the acting is choice, the multiple plot lines intriguing, and the dialogue is smart, well crafted and original. This is NOT a rehash of tired memes the Oval Office, Watergate and the like. It has theThis is a winner! I found Lillyhammer disappointing and i doubted Netflix could turn out product to compete with HBO. But I was wrong. House of Cards production quality is top drawer, the acting is choice, the multiple plot lines intriguing, and the dialogue is smart, well crafted and original. This is NOT a rehash of tired memes the Oval Office, Watergate and the like. It has the quality that HBO USED to have in the days of Rome, Sopranos, Carnivale, Six Feet Under, and Deadwood. Move over HBO what you've been producing these days is mediocre and there's a new kid in town! Expand
  17. Feb 5, 2013
    Absolutely phenomenal. Fincher, Spacey, Wright, they've created a masterpiece. As a film student I'm completely impressed with what's being done outside of mainstream cable. In the field of Boardwalk Empire.
  18. Aug 14, 2014
    While Bryan Cranston as Walter White in Breaking Bad will likely remain my favorite portrayal of all time, Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood is currently my second. I love this show. The director is incredible and for the most part, the writing and performances are believable ....what a compelling show. I cannot wait for season 3.
  19. Jul 26, 2013
    If you watch the first 10 minutes be for warned, you may have to watch all episodes. I watched the 1990 version set in England. It was good but this was great. Keven Spacy sinks his teeth into this part like only he can do. This is really good.
  20. Jul 2, 2014
    Great cast. Fantastic script. The dialogue, the characters, and the plot itself are very interesting and highly entertaining. Decided to give this show a try after some glowing recommendations from my friends, and I honestly watched the first six episodes in one day because I couldn't get enough of it.

As an aside, I love the whole releasing all the episodes at once deal so that you can watch the season in your own time.
  21. Feb 4, 2013
    Leading up to the release of the first season of House of Cards I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely skeptical. Over the years Netflix hasn't done much to instill confidence in their leadership. However, I am glad to say that after viewing the first 8 episodes of this show my confidence in Netflix has been restored. "Wow", is all I have to say about House of Cards. What is now easilyLeading up to the release of the first season of House of Cards I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely skeptical. Over the years Netflix hasn't done much to instill confidence in their leadership. However, I am glad to say that after viewing the first 8 episodes of this show my confidence in Netflix has been restored. "Wow", is all I have to say about House of Cards. What is now easily my new favorite show delivers on all fronts with a stellar cast and top notch production values. House of Cards misses the mark on very little and the flaws that do exist are easily overlooked in the grand scheme of things. It is clear Netflix spared no expense delivering what is sure to be one of the marquee dramas of the year. Masterful storytelling is enhanced though subtle techniques which help set this show apart from television presentation we have seen far too often. These little touches such as having text messages pop up on screen, and having Spacey directly speak to the audience add a unique touch that enhance the storytelling. House of Cards is the dark, cerebral tale of House Majority Whip Frank Underwood on his mission, through the corrupt underbelly of U.S. politics, to settle a personal vendetta against the presidential administration that revoked their promised appointment of him to be the next Secretary of State. Kevin Spacey hits it out of the park in this role. Underwood is simultaneously a despicable and likable anti-hero that you can't help but root for. Systematically picking off rivals, Frank proves himself to be the embodiment of every voters worst nightmare. Frank is accompanied on this journey by several equally ambitious, and equally flawed characters. Robin Wright portrays the role of Frank's cold and calculating, yet surprisingly human, wife Claire with admirable skill. Their relationship is that of a ruthless power couple who seem to genuinely love each other and who back each other up without question. I won't delve too deeply into the intricacies of their relationship for fear of spoiling the story, but their marriage is one that is both enviable yet troubled in that at times in that it almost resembles more of a business partnership than a marriage. Claire is perhaps the only character in the series that seems to be immune to Frank's constant manipulation and comes off to viewers as a strong willed, independent woman. On the other end of the spectrum is Pennsylvania Congressman Peter Russo, played by Corey Stoll. Russo is one big scandal waiting to happen. A troubled, weak man with an insatiable thirst for both narcotics and prostitutes. Russo seems to have the best intentions in both his work and personal relationships yet always seems to fall victim to the negative forces in his life. Finding himself in need of a pawn to be controlled completely, Frank uses Russo’s skeletons (of which he has many) to coerce him into various tasks, at times, against his will. Perhaps the most intriguing and dynamic of these relationships is the partnership Congressman Underwood shares with the seemingly innocent, and resourceful, up-and-coming journalist Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara). Barnes is Underwood's secret mouth piece, used not only to put spin on events, but also to influence the political landscape itself. While she appears at first glance to be quiet and submissive, Zoe is a refreshingly self aware young woman who doesn’t indulge in the idealism that plagues many others of her age. She has dreams of fame and success as an acclaimed journalist in Washington, and has no scruples about blurring the line of morality in achieving her goals. Zoe exudes a subtle sexually that she isn’t afraid to use to her advantage. Her relationship with Frank is not one-sided in its benefits however. Though Zoe is nothing more than a tool, used by Frank to achieve various ends, she reaches levels of notoriety and success through her involvement with him that under normal circumstances would be impossible. Frank feeds Zoe highly privileged information and in return she presents the stories in the way Frank desires. This quid pro quo relationship is in my opinion the center piece of the series and one I look forward to watching develop further. There are many other significant relationships throughout the series but for the sake of brevity I shall end my review by emphasizing the main point I want to get across to all of you reading this. House of Cards, with all its moving parts working in conjunction, paints a beautifully disastrous picture of the modern political system with all its backdoor dealings, overzealous lobbyist, and self-serving politicians. The success of this show lies not only in the narrative itself but how the narrative is presented to the audience. Anyone with even an ounce of interest in politics and/or drama series should do themselves a huge favor and give this show a shot. Director David Fincher and team have set quite a high bar for all future forays into exclusive streaming content. Expand
  22. Mar 3, 2013
    This is not a show for idealists. There are no heroes, and at best the characters you meet are ambiguous or are victim to their lesser angels. But as a study in the pursuit of power the show excels. And though the plot starts slow and methodical, by the end the different story lines weave together powerfully. A few of the characters are underdeveloped (the President and Chief of Staff,This is not a show for idealists. There are no heroes, and at best the characters you meet are ambiguous or are victim to their lesser angels. But as a study in the pursuit of power the show excels. And though the plot starts slow and methodical, by the end the different story lines weave together powerfully. A few of the characters are underdeveloped (the President and Chief of Staff, both seem underwhelmingly small compared to the protagonists), but the cast overall is solid. Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood and Corey Stoll as Peter Russo are fantastic. The cinematography is dark and sophisticated and perfectly suited to the subject matter. There could be some stronger female characters: West Wing this show is not but where's C.J. Cregg? That aside, this show got so strong by the end and was a joy to watch. Can't wait till Season 2. Expand
  23. May 15, 2013
    I went into house of cards expecting a fairly mundane and diatribe on the horrible corrupt politicians and how terrible it is, and to an extent that's what I got but ultimately the acting was incredibly well done (Everyone is complaining about Zoe, but her monotone etc. was part of her character). The characters while not relate able were well done and believable. The filming, scripts,I went into house of cards expecting a fairly mundane and diatribe on the horrible corrupt politicians and how terrible it is, and to an extent that's what I got but ultimately the acting was incredibly well done (Everyone is complaining about Zoe, but her monotone etc. was part of her character). The characters while not relate able were well done and believable. The filming, scripts, story etc. were all incredible, great show, glad I got to see it. Great job Netflix. Expand
  24. Jul 26, 2013
    Kevin Spacey at his finest, couldn't stop watching, ripped through a season in 2 days! Dark and mischievous, great acting from the supporters as well...highly recommended...
  25. Aug 19, 2013
    House of Cards did not let me down, the show which delivered an incredible almost cinematic presence in my own home simply glowed. House of Cards follows US Representative Frank Underwood who after being refused a promotion he was promised moves forward to exact revenge on those who betrayed him.

As I said before the show itself presents itself in an almost cinematic persona. From its camera shots to its darker color scheme, the show has such a big onscreen presence that for all I knew I could have been in a cinema while watching this addictive thriller. The great thing about Netflix making an original drama is it gets rid of the weeks of waiting to find out what happens next, all I have to do is watch about 15 seconds of credits and it will jump straight to the next episode. It’s brilliant.

The show itself contains heart-stopping acting, I could actually see Kevin Spacey being Frank Underwood, there was no hint of who any of the actors where in real life, every single one of them put in such strong performances that I just had to see what they were going to do next. Not a single shody actor in the whole series.

The show is written and directed to perfection. With the first two episodes directed by David Fincher they are just obviously sublime. Despite David Fincher not directing any of the other episodes there is no decline in quality, he might as well of directed them all. The show continues on the high standards it started on while continuously upping its anti in entertainment value.

With great twists and turns House of Cards will keep you on your seat and wondering is 15 seconds to long of a wait for the next episode?
  26. Sep 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The writing is nothing short of brilliant. SPOILER ALERT: STOP READING NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SERIES.

Spacey's asides draw us into his confidence, but we are slowly inclined to betray him as the series progresses--just as other characters do.

It's an amazing affect I've never experienced, and it's utterly absorbing.

This is not interactive tv, but it feels like it. And we are drawn into the action as we learn every characters' weaknesses and desires.

Little things matter, too: The subtle change in Claire's character when the homeless man fashioned the twenty dollar donation into a swan and flicked it at her. Genius. Moments like that make great drama.

winston Q summers
  27. Feb 9, 2014
    Binge-watching season one which is rehabilitating depraved regions of my primordial reptile brain and making them feel smarter and socially acceptable
  28. BKM
    Mar 15, 2013
    The term "game changer" is tossed around a bit too liberally these days, but this original series from Netflix is genuinely deserving of that label. Top notch talent is involved with this project which has made Netflix a legitimate player in the scripted series realm. At the same time the ability to make all thirteen episodes available at once is a stroke of genius that cable and theThe term "game changer" is tossed around a bit too liberally these days, but this original series from Netflix is genuinely deserving of that label. Top notch talent is involved with this project which has made Netflix a legitimate player in the scripted series realm. At the same time the ability to make all thirteen episodes available at once is a stroke of genius that cable and the networks are going to have to respond to. And as for the product itself? House of Cards is a darkly humorous and wickedly entertaining look into the high stakes game of U.S. politics. It will be interesting to see if it gets any Emmy recognition especially for Kevin Spacey who hasn't been this good since American Beauty. Expand
  29. Mar 20, 2013
    Kevin Spacey is fantastic as a Georgia congressman that seeks revenge after being replaced for a Secretary of State job. He is so conniving and quite convincing as a real congressman. If you ever imagined how things are negotiated and manipulated in Congress to get what people what, this show definitely shows it. His wife, played by Robin Wright, is great as well. She too can manipulateKevin Spacey is fantastic as a Georgia congressman that seeks revenge after being replaced for a Secretary of State job. He is so conniving and quite convincing as a real congressman. If you ever imagined how things are negotiated and manipulated in Congress to get what people what, this show definitely shows it. His wife, played by Robin Wright, is great as well. She too can manipulate with the best of them to get what she wants. If it were just them, it would be great, but it also includes a lot of other characters that are complex and relate-able. Great first season, looking forward to more. Expand
  30. Feb 3, 2013
    I was hesitant to watch an American remake of a British classic that defined cynical political satire, but this is a very well done series. I can't think of another American actor who can pull off dry sarcasm as well as Spacey, and I'm glad we didn't get an Aussie or a Brit doing "Yank." The dialogue is wonderfully witty and the plot, so far (episode 3) holds up with intelligence. SpaceyI was hesitant to watch an American remake of a British classic that defined cynical political satire, but this is a very well done series. I can't think of another American actor who can pull off dry sarcasm as well as Spacey, and I'm glad we didn't get an Aussie or a Brit doing "Yank." The dialogue is wonderfully witty and the plot, so far (episode 3) holds up with intelligence. Spacey takes center stage but Robin Wright manages a difficult role of being evil without hinting it in anything but her actions, and the other Mara girl is a knockout "wannabe famous" reporter who thinks she can handle Francis Underwood but is playing with fire. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.