• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2005
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9
5.7

1. Sep 17, 2013
    Finally! We're meeting the mom, I've to say that I'm going to miss HIMYM, its my favorite show but everything must end! I'm Thrilled! follow as @ruffus3000
  2. Apr 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How I Met Your Mother, overall, was one of the best shows on television in the 21st century. The series finale, contrary to what most fans were saying, was a success. Those who didn't understand why the mother was "so quick to go", lets put it, didn't understand the point of the show. It was about the journey, not the ending. The mother was just a pawn in a much bigger, more intricate picture where Ted ends up with Robin. How can you not be happy for him? From the first episode, it was made very clear that his feelings for her were strong and everlasting. And honestly, it was inevitable that the mother had to die. There was really no other way to end the series with a bang. And HIMYM definitely went out with a bang. Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2013
    After a lacklustre eighth season, HIMYM rebounds magnificently with this ninth season. Cristin Milloti as The Mother is perfectly cast, and adding her to the cast is a shake-up that the show desperately needed. Although she has been in very few episodes so far, her few appearances have been done very well, and I like the idea that she meets every cast member before Ted. Like most people, I was wary of the entire ninth season taking place over Barney and Robin's wedding weekend. But, Bays and Carter are quite adept at non-linear storytelling and the multiple flash backs and forwards are also fantastic, because it provides two main settings that the show can utilize. All in all, the first few episodes of this season have been shaping up to be some of the best the series has given us in recent memory. Expand
  4. Dec 4, 2013
    Over the last season the show has taken a turn for lame puns and jokes. While the final season of this show has its notable setbacks with episodes and weak character bits making no sense to the wedding weekend or to their future cause, but the show has managed to bring an elevated sense of gratification to fans by characterising the Mother in flashbacks and flash forwards which defines also the characters around them. The pace of this season is at a steady one, after all they are strectching the entire season for a wedding weekend. Finally, the most clever thing the writers have nailed this season is by bringing back characters and story arcs (the damn pineapple mystery) we all love from previous seasons and intricately placing them in episodes which fit the story arc. They didn't just throw them in messily as a final hoorah (although it is, but done rightly) The season is continually growing into better storylines as the climax and the crux of the story is yet to get better with many arcs still unfinished as we dawn ever closer to Ted's inevitable meet with his wonderful future wife. (In which we definitely want to know her name!) Expand
  5. Jan 2, 2014
    This is the thing with How I Met Your Mother, it never fails to disappoint you. No matter how ridiculous the storyline is, viewers can't deny the fact that it's enjoyable and truly one of the best comedy shows on TV. The season premiere and the winter finale proof that creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas really know how to end this twisted Teddy Westside story.
  6. Mar 17, 2014
    How I met your mother is coming to an end and its sad. But even when its down to its few last final episodes it never fails to make me laugh and teach me a lesson about life and etc. I wish it will never end,
  7. Sep 23, 2013
    Impressive. lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  8. Jan 29, 2014
    Maybe wrong in the beginning (not great idea start the season talking about only the days before the wedding) but now seems to go better and i suppose will be an happy and right ending.
  9. Mar 18, 2014
    I would like to say, that even thou the season started pretty poorly, it really picked up over the past few months. The writing improved and the acting improved!
    Thanks Carter Bay and Craig Thomas for an awesome show!
  10. Aug 15, 2013
    If I don't find out who the mother is in the next few episodes... I'm giving up on this show. What started out as a really interesting story has turned into a drag and a bore at times.
  11. Oct 3, 2013
    I put 7 based on the 1st 3 episodes, even if I feel like the show is going down for the last 2 years (crazy police girl, Barney and Patruce...) I jus found the concept of doing it like Jason Bourne, the entire season in a weekend a plaisant idea, and also this show is my little dirty morning pleasure! Go for Barney!
  12. Apr 3, 2014
    Your opinion of this ninth season, and possibly the show as a whole, will significantly depend on how much importance you place on finales. The final two part episode, which would mostly have made sense at one point, was simply no longer relevant with the show having been on air so long and comes pretty close to making the whole of the last two seasons (and the time spent at Barney and Robin’s wedding in particular) completely pointless. All the character development and scenes showing just why the mother was so perfect for Ted (Cristin Milioti was perfect in the role and sorely underused) was simply undone so that the ending could fit with a plan the creators apparently devised about seven years ago.

Personally the disappointing ending doesn’t ruin the enjoyment I had watching How I Met Your Mother all these years and it will always remain amongst my favourite sit-coms thanks to its intelligent writing, great characters and the fact that it nearly always made me laugh. Even this final season, which is not its strongest, kept me entertained and although the finale means I am less likely to watch it all through again I’ll certainly be picking out my favourite episodes from time to time to remember what the show was capable of at its best.
  13. Nov 27, 2013
    I love the series, until the finale of season 8. Season 9 is getting worse each episode. I couldn't finish watching episode 11. The jokes are not as funny as they used to be.
  14. Apr 2, 2014
    I was gonna vote this season with a higher score but the finale... it's a heavy blow that can't just be good in a sit-com; I wish it had stopped when ted talked to the mother, under the yellow umbrella, at the sentence 'And that, kids, is how I met your mother '.
    By the way, ted could tell us in the very first episode that his wife was died, so as not to make us resign to the idea of
    robin and ted together, because this is what it is, the entire story of ted and robin where the mother was rarely present. On the contrary they made much of the mysterious mother, making us wondering who she is and how she is, then they made us know her, made us love her and at the end: "by the way she died 6 years ago, let's move on". Now she seems just a hurdle to reaching Robin (that maybe he never forgot during the marriage?). The mother was perfect for him, was like him, with the very same boring collections and weird tastes, and after this incredible story of how he met her, she is treated as a secondary character, while she is the mysterious protagonist of the whole story.
    Very bad ending was barney's one too, after a huge evolution of the character in season 7, 8 and 9, he returns to be the womanizer he was.
  15. Apr 1, 2014
    I watched How I met your mother for 6 years of my life, I laughed, I cried with them ....
    to have a crappy end, or "original purpose", yeah that's it.
    the beginning of the season is just blah (or zero), while the second part I had a glimmer of hope (episodes was better) to end more crap all finals series that I saw the worst of all final final sitcoms.
    Carter and Craig, I thought you
    well as a writer but you spoil the funniest of all time series. I'll never forgive you. and I hope that you miss with "How I Met Your Dad" will be ****
    HIMYM Forever?
    No, HIMYM Is Dead For Me!!!!
  16. Mar 1, 2013
    The characters are just getting old. Jokes are old. And the story is not moving like in previous seasons. They just have to bring to stop soon. The writer should do better and not write just to please the stupid fans who don't know any better.
  17. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Actually, after having watched the 8th season I didn't expect too much. However, this season was even worse than I expected. Usually, I liked the references to the current season or events like Halloween, Christmas or NYE but now there is nothing except for the stupid wedding.

Also the fact that Marshall is going to be a judge was way too long as well as the road trip with the woman. Couldn't they just have shown the wedding and Ted and his wife meeting there? Even though I had to laugh a few times, this season is the worst of HIMYM I have ever seen so far.
  18. Nov 15, 2013
    From the very beginning of the season, I can't share the impression that all the actors, writers, and the director have suddenly become lazy and are just waiting for that woman to meet Ted, so that everyone can get it over with.

With all due respect to the people who took part in creating the amazing series, I must say that Season 9 is just horrible. At least as of Episode 4, but I
    don't expect any improvement. Expand
  19. Nov 24, 2013
    Are they kiddn on me? The worst of all the season! Yeah we finally know the mother but the story line is pretty boring. They show us what kind of crazy stuff happens a few hours before the wedding, but there is no depth and turning point in sight. Everything will be awesome at the end. I will watch till the end, but that'S dissappointing
  20. Feb 25, 2014
    This season is awful, even painful, to watch. I used to love this show. The first couple of seasons I consider to be some of the funniest of television. But now, all the characters have become parodies of themselves. They are dragging it on for way too long. This season alone has killed the entire series for me. What a shame
  21. Apr 5, 2014
    An even worse ending than Lost.

At least the ending of Lost didn't undo the entire show, it was just too vague, this one on the other hand completely destroys the entire show and its whole premise in one fell swoop. Congratulations writers.
  22. Dec 1, 2013
    eleventh episode is the most boring thing i ever witnessed i would have shoot my self before watching that episode again.All so all other episodes are lame and rarely laughable.Anyway i'm going to watch this since only another crappy 12 episodes to go.Fans should sue the writers for ruining the legacy of one of the best comedy show ever created.
  23. Apr 2, 2014
    I like this serie, but the final episodes sucks. Ruined the conclusion a very good show with bored and meaningless final episode. Very disappointed this season end
  24. Jan 14, 2014
    Abysmal. Unfunny. 3 years past its sell by date. These are the politest things I can say. I feel like a chump - after investing so much time on this show I have little option but to keep going till its over. If the end wasn't in sight I would have stopped watching this 2 years ago. This is the worst thing in my week.
  25. Feb 17, 2013
    "Thus passes the glory of the world."
  26. Apr 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished the season and back to rewrite my review. Obviously it ain't good. From 2/10 I dropped it to 0/10.

Season 9 drags out the story of 2 days over 22 EPISODES, and tops all the laziness and crappy plots by slapping the viewers in the face as well at the end of it with an abysmal finale.

It had by now become a repeat of the same things with reference to past "glories" and funny moments of the show, with an overly tiring constant comparison of characters how they were and how they are, and pretty much nothing more than a desperate need to make it as many seasons as possible rather than as long as it should be.

Side note, the characters haven't evolved THAT much either, so pin pointing out all the little things just to make them important is even more tiring. And, by the last episode, we find out they haven't evolved at all. So, boring, tiring AND a slap to the face (like I already said)!!!

You want to talk about a real tiring drag? We get 22 episodes all showing hour by hour the last day/s before the wedding. You want to talk about lazy? We get a double-length finale to wrap up the story of 3-4 years after that and conclude the plot. Lame. This shows how desperate they were to drag this out as much as they could, and how little they cared to be creative with it as well.

I sat and saw 8 entire damn seasons leading to this? This is ridiculous.

After episode 12-13 around, it starts to pick up a little, it gets just a "ted" better. By episode 22, it has gone up and down but gradually got better, with some really wonderful moments included which were ALL the ones with the mother and Barney and Robin. Nothing too special, but it was ok. Then the last episode rolls in, and OH, MY, GOD.

1) Barney and Robin break up for the most idiotic reason on planet earth! It simply doesn't fit even when they SAY that they broke up (reference to their banging and high-fiving each other about it). Lame, lazy, and one retarded way to break them up when clearly they still have fun together, chemistry and fit together. Convenient bs for an even more bs ending.

2) Barney hasn't changed after all. Sooo, all the sentimental "progress" and "life and character changes" he went through he actually didn't go through. And we are, after this, meant to believe that he found the love of his life in his daughter and actually changed to be a good father? Sorry, don't buy it. 3 years down the track he will be the same **** again. That is exactly the feeling they create by this point.

3) Robin starts to believe Ted was the one she was meant to be with? Seriously? Even on her wedding? So the fact that she actually was in love with Barney and they were a perfect match for each other is bs as well? No, she simply didn't fit with Ted, not in a million years. They were two opposites and good for a fling, but not for a life-changing-altering relationship.

4) The mother. The only person that could bring a fresh smile for a happy ending, and they kill her off? Literally! How drunk are they? Any more convenient bs and I will have to puke.

5) Ted, the worst of all. Hang up on Robin after all these years.... STILL??? MOVE THE FK ON DUDE! They don't mix and match, they don't fit, they don't work together, and above all, he met the perfect woman for HIM. Seriously, we get a woman that thinks and acts like him, falls for him and he for her from the go, have everything to be a perfect fit between them, build her up for 8 seasons and the idea of a one true love, and then we just kill her off? LOL. And after meeting such a person, being with them for what I calculated about 10yrs, Ted is STILL hung up over Robin? Wha? Convenient unrealistic bs. If he had met a woman like that, no other woman would EVER be good enough, much less have feelings for a mediocre by comparison relationship he once had. Biggest douchebag in the world.

What, did the writers have some lame crush on a female friend of theirs and this is their way to tell them "no matter how much we don't fit, we will be together in the end..... because... you know.... love.... exception to everything..." LOL. Again, just a convenient word to them to excuse their lame writing.

And what, they justified it all with "she has been dead for 6 years"?
    And his little fk-tart kids sat and listened to the story of "Who I Banged Before Your Mother", and couldn't care less about it (we are talking about their dead mother, lol) and go on to route for their father to chase his life long crush, which apparently he didn't get over even when he was with their mother, instead of getting up and slapping him over the head? What a douche, and what a bunch of tarts.
    He probably poisoned her and sat by her in hospital smiling and planning how to get his kids on board with his boner.

They also placed the importance of the stupid lame blue horn story over the whole plot on the yellow umbrella by the end too. lol. I hope they are happy with themselves. They should be slapped for such laziness.

BS...
  27. Oct 8, 2013
    This series which we used to enjoy watching in the first 4 seasons or so has declined in every aspect writing, acting, direction...... it is one of the worst tv shows on air. The only reason this series is on is because of CBS's strategy of overpromoting its flop shows and making them popular among viewers, an example of which we have already seen in another show of CBS-' two and a half men'
  28. Nov 28, 2013
    The producers of this show should be embarrassed, what used to be a fun, fresh, entertaining sitcom has become old, stale and just lame... If they had of wrapped it up after season 4/5 it would be remembered as an all time great show. But now, it will soon be forgotten after it goes of air next year...
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Sep 24, 2013
    There are a number of annoying little things, and a few big ones, sprinkled throughout these two [opening] episodes, but they get the biggest thing of all absolutely right: the Mother.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd VanDerWerff
    Sep 23, 2013
    The series’ cast remains one of the better sitcom ensembles of the past decade.