How I Met Your Mother : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
8.5

1. HR
    Jan 7, 2010
    I had avoided the show, it didn't sound sooo compelling, but after the first episode I was immediately hooked. This show easily tops "Friends", and makes my wife and me laugh out loudly. It's funny, it's versatile, and the acting is totally impressive - because it's convincing. A real gem!
  2. Apr 3, 2013
    One of my favourite shows and one of the best TV has to offer... Although you can tell it got most of its ideas from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. the storyline is unique funny and you get attached to the characters from the first episode. In addition to that the way they show us the mother in the episodes is genius and you just cant wait to find out who she is... The only reason its not getting aOne of my favourite shows and one of the best TV has to offer... Although you can tell it got most of its ideas from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. the storyline is unique funny and you get attached to the characters from the first episode. In addition to that the way they show us the mother in the episodes is genius and you just cant wait to find out who she is... The only reason its not getting a 10/10 is that some episodes can get a bit boring... Expand
  3. rah
    Nov 3, 2012
    I love this show. Every week it makes me laugh hysterically and gives me a reason to come back. All the actors are great, but what really makes me laugh is Barney Stinson played by Neil Patrick Harris. I highly recommend this show.
  4. Feb 24, 2015
    HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER is often unintentionally dry and repetitive. Often you find yourself yelling at the screen in frustration of the stupidity of some of the lead characters, but the whole show is saved by a hilarious Neil Patrick Harris.
  5. Sep 14, 2011
    Although it has some ideas stolen from "Friends" it still has a catchy storyline and five characters that have a consistent personality. The show has funny jokes to spend a good time and laugh a lot.
  6. Sep 26, 2011
    This is a great show . They have the jokes which're right on spot and make me laugh through the whole show . The Storyline 's getting more exciting with the love and some real life lessons . And there come the awkard part where Robin didn't make much joke as the others , in fact , she only have 3-5 joke in an episode . Cobie Smulders isn't quite nailed this role either . But the otherThis is a great show . They have the jokes which're right on spot and make me laugh through the whole show . The Storyline 's getting more exciting with the love and some real life lessons . And there come the awkard part where Robin didn't make much joke as the others , in fact , she only have 3-5 joke in an episode . Cobie Smulders isn't quite nailed this role either . But the other things is great :P Expand
  7. Jun 4, 2011
    This show has a great cast , brilliant story lines , funny one-liners , believable plot and a huge amount of suspense as America , Europe and the rest of the world wait to find out who is the mother of , what has seem to become, our own.
  8. Jun 9, 2011
    This is an amazing series! I love it an I am totally hooked on it! I am one of the thousands upon thousands of people that really want to know who is the mother and how we meet her! I love it, it is funny, and has a lot of suspense!
  9. PeterH
    Nov 26, 2009
    This show is amazing! I know a lot of people are slating the show saying it isn't funny and whatever and I can see that if you just watch the odd episode then you might be somewhat justified in that opinion. But seriously, watch it from the beginning and I assure you that you will love it! It truly is one of the cleverest sitcoms ever made and to anyone who thinks it isn't well This show is amazing! I know a lot of people are slating the show saying it isn't funny and whatever and I can see that if you just watch the odd episode then you might be somewhat justified in that opinion. But seriously, watch it from the beginning and I assure you that you will love it! It truly is one of the cleverest sitcoms ever made and to anyone who thinks it isn't well written...you are just wrong! All I'd say is that even if you don't like it at first and don't think it's as funny as some others out there, stick with it and you will grow to love it and see that sitcoms don't just have to be about laughs all the time. The best show ever! Expand
  10. MelS
    Jan 12, 2010
    Love this show the cast is superb. I agree that the first season was not the best due to Ted's whininess but you just can't beat episodes like Slap Bet, Slapsgiving and The Playbook. If you tried this ut the first season and didn't like it try those episodes or try again soo funny. BTW the other guy who mentioned Family Matters as a REAL good show, is he kidding? That show Love this show the cast is superb. I agree that the first season was not the best due to Ted's whininess but you just can't beat episodes like Slap Bet, Slapsgiving and The Playbook. If you tried this ut the first season and didn't like it try those episodes or try again soo funny. BTW the other guy who mentioned Family Matters as a REAL good show, is he kidding? That show was only semi good when I was twelve, no wonder why he doesn't like this hilarious show. He is probably also a fan of Big Bang Theory. Expand
  11. DavidG
    Jun 23, 2009
    A simply put, four years lasting Life Lesson.
  12. Jun 4, 2011
    An amazing show, NPH is outstanding and the others are irresistible! It is a knock-out, as NPH would say, it's LEGEN.....wait for it.......DARY! So funny and has it's deep moments! Incredible, beware though, you might get hooked on fun!
  13. Oct 28, 2012
    In my opinion How I Met Your Mother is one of the best TV shows ever. Especially Barney Stinson makes it very funny for the viewer, because his art is very cool. The story is most times good, but there are some lows, too. Some people say that it's boring, however this show is amazing and should never end.
  14. JohnR
    Mar 13, 2010
    Awesome!
  15. Jun 4, 2011
    This is nothing like friends, just people do not want to move on.....and they don't have to, but they also don't have to bring down every other show because this is a refreshing new show and is really funny! It has a great cast and once you start watching it.....you have to go buying every other series, it is just this AWESOME fire deep within you, a LEGENDARY watch!
  16. JT
    Dec 1, 2009
    I hated this show at first. I thought the premise was lame, the narration was awkward and NPH was too one-dimensional. Then I gave it an honest shot. Now I can hardly get enough! It's not the best nor the funniest show on TV, but it's close. (Note: I still don't really like the first season mostly because Ted is so whiny).
  17. EmilyR
    May 8, 2009
    This is my favorite show that's currently on TV, and it has been since it started! I laugh out loud every week but I've also cried a couple of times and I love the characters.
  18. BrendonM
    Nov 22, 2005
    This show is great -- if you're looking for a "Friends" replacement, this is close as you'll get. Neil Patrick Harris rocks as Barney -- his character reminds my wife and I of a friend of ours -- we've all known the self-centered slick guy who really thinks he's doing the world a favor. The rest of the cast is spot on dealing with the relationship stuff. Give this a This show is great -- if you're looking for a "Friends" replacement, this is close as you'll get. Neil Patrick Harris rocks as Barney -- his character reminds my wife and I of a friend of ours -- we've all known the self-centered slick guy who really thinks he's doing the world a favor. The rest of the cast is spot on dealing with the relationship stuff. Give this a shot if you haven' t already -- it deserves a second season! Expand
  19. NCdudeHIMYM
    Jan 19, 2006
    A better version of friends. Funny, wit and young.
  20. SusanH
    Nov 16, 2009
    I have never laughed aloud like I do for this show. It's so clever, witty and adroit. I could watch each episode over and over and still find things to laugh about. I love the tie ins from week to week.
  21. Oct 19, 2012
    I truly love this show it is the best sitcom since "FRIENDS" Neil Patrick Harris is funny as hell however Jason Segal is a little wierd but eithr way it's still the best sitcom ever.
  22. Sep 17, 2013
    My favorite show. It takes humor, wit, and some romance and blend it in a pleasant show with appealing actors and an original storyline. Also, the way they present the mother and use symbolism throughout the show is genius.
  23. SteveS
    Oct 10, 2005
    The best new show on TV. Subtle and outrageous at the same time.
  24. Becky
    May 30, 2007
    this show is very funny, and i've just started watching it. Some of the writing is weak though, and i thought The Class was more fun and interesting, but i will keep watching this show.
  25. sg
    Apr 5, 2006
  26. JohnR
    Apr 17, 2007
    Awesome!
  27. EvanH.
    Sep 30, 2008
    It's like Friends, but updated, funnier, and with more meaning. Four seasons on, it's grown up and become even more. Excellent show.
  28. alex
    Oct 9, 2009
    Great show, started off a little slow in the first season, not much chemistry and writing was pretty lame. But from there it took off as the characters became more hilarious
  29. JacyL.
    Aug 2, 2009
    One Word Legend ... Wait for it ... Dary ! Great Show, great plot, kept me laughing the whole way through.
  30. JohnnyBravo
    Oct 10, 2005
    This show is great. One of the best shows i've seen in years. All the characters mesh well. Very funny.
  31. HilaryR
    Oct 15, 2005
    Smart cast and good writing.
  32. MoniD.
    Oct 31, 2005
    The only show that keeps me in front of the tv lately. Great, I love it.
  33. JenG
    May 9, 2006
    Makes me laugh out loud every episode. The characters are so relatable and real; it's like watching my life (only much, much funnier!).
  34. gulce!!!!!!!!!!
    Jun 15, 2006
    i love that show jason segal is awesome he was awesome in freaks and geeks too its a gr8 show..
  35. AlexP
    Sep 21, 2006
    A very funny show that has been largely underrated in my opinion. The cast works well together, and there is an obvious chemistry between them. The show is worth watching just for Neil Patrick Harris as Barney. The rest of the cast fills in the show nicely, and they get themselves into some strange and amusing situations. Consistantly funny.
  36. heyjou
    Sep 28, 2006
    i think the show is really good, Neil patrick harris the best comedy actor ever
  37. Natasha
    Oct 7, 2007
    I disagree with those who compare the show to Friends, because it's totally individual. It doesn't astonish or shock the viewer, but it us sure to raise your spirits.
  38. AndyR
    Mar 10, 2007
    Clever and consistently funny - "friends" for the next generation.
  39. Jessica
    Aug 16, 2007
    I never would compare this to Friends. So much better. I'm glad there's none of that sexual tension going on here. It would take away from the show.
  40. JasonM.
    Sep 12, 2007
    It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's consistent and always leaves you with a good feeling. The plots are usually pretty funny although some are just typical sitcom ones. The highlight of the show is definitely the characters though.
  41. LoisW.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Only reason I give it 9 instead of 10 is because it makes me uneasy that Ted and Robin do not end up together. Like how many variations on a theme can we get until Robin has to go, or a new character comes in? And I don't want that! Also, Barney is SO funny - we need more stories about his life, like a few in season one. He comes across in some shows like an unwelcome outsider. But Only reason I give it 9 instead of 10 is because it makes me uneasy that Ted and Robin do not end up together. Like how many variations on a theme can we get until Robin has to go, or a new character comes in? And I don't want that! Also, Barney is SO funny - we need more stories about his life, like a few in season one. He comes across in some shows like an unwelcome outsider. But he is the funniest character! Love this show. Oh! the catch phrases: "it's gonna be a thing" or "had to"... or lemon law. Expand
  42. MikeM
    Oct 1, 2009
    Talented and funny cast with great chemistry, backed by a clever script make this the best sitcom since Seinfeld.
  43. JorgeG
    Jan 10, 2009
    Great show. I do like the writing, though perhaps their rely on sitcom stereotypes too often. I guess that's just unavoidable sometimes. Alright, the figure of Barney is exagerated to create a cult character, but let's face it: he HAS some memorable moments.
  44. VedranB
    Jul 30, 2009
    Finally, after long time, worthy successor to legendary Seinfeld. Fine actors, good stories, and quite original flashback format. Clear 10!
  45. HuyB
    Sep 25, 2009
    Neil Patrick Harris is a completely incredible actor. The rest of the cast is very solid. The one-liners are original and don't get old. The story of How I Met Your Mother is very lengthy and as much as I'd like to know the ending, who the mother is, and how Ted met her...I don't mind never knowing as long as the story continues.
  46. MichelleW
    Sep 3, 2009
    This show is very entertaining. The comedy is through the roof. And the suspense build up for who the Mother is keeps you watching. Great show.
  47. BrianE
    Oct 10, 2005
    great new show...funny, but fairly smart...one of the best this fall
  48. JenT
    Nov 18, 2005
    Each episode is better than the last. One of the better depictions of authentic urban friendship on tv.
  49. OrlandS
    Oct 25, 2005
    Great shows! Sexy babe ... Ohhh Yeahhhhh!!!
  50. SusanM.
    Oct 6, 2005
    I quite like this show. It's like a dorky version of friends, but the writing is fresh and funny.
  51. TaninoM
    Oct 6, 2005
    I enjoyed this show immensly - while I did not laugh non stop it was a very funny and enjoyable way to spend a half four.
  52. Tiffany
    Jan 27, 2006
    The cast have a chemistry between them that does not always exist in television. John Randor is such a nice guy that it is hard to hate him, while Harris is so funny that it makes it even more difficult to hate him. It seems that this cast has such likeable personalities that you can't hate anything they do.
  53. StacieS
    Jan 30, 2006
    This is the best show on TV right now. Keep it goingi!
  54. PaulMcCartney
    Mar 19, 2006
    I loved this show when it first came on, but it has been in decline. They need to focus less on Ted's desperate search for love and more on the fun of his life, with interpersing bits of his love, a la Scrubs
  55. ErikN
    Aug 14, 2006
    I love this show! Since Friends left the air, we have been searching for a surrogate (since nothing could ever replace Friends). HIMYM is the next best thing.
  56. TinaW
    Jan 31, 2007
    Funny, touching
  57. FengZ
    Mar 18, 2007
    actually between 8 and 9 cleverest script among recent ones. fine cast. love it.
  58. SwarlesBarkley
    Mar 19, 2007
    Certainly in the top 5 best written sitcoms currently airing. Consistently funny and cleverly plotted.
  59. SusanJ
    Mar 29, 2007
    The show can be truly funny and in the next second be dramatic. But the theme can be frustrating at times, feeling a bit drug out.
  60. philg
    May 22, 2007
    this show is laugh out loud hillarous. It might not be good for little kids but is the best show on tv no dought.I hope this show stays on for a long time and the person thatt gave the show a zero is on crack and he deffinatly dosent no what comety is about.
  61. Ally
    Jul 26, 2007
    Love this show!
  62. Daniel
    Jul 26, 2007
    Great TV!
  63. KevinM.
    Sep 24, 2007
    Very funny show. Comedy is real and i love the Bob Saget narrating. This show has something for everybody.
  64. JenW.
    Jan 29, 2008
    This is one of the only sitcoms that I have ever actually laughed at. I find it much funnier than friends-the individual characters on this show are much more interesting than Ross and Rachel. Let's hope this continues to get renewed-it's a rare gem in a sea of crappy t.v.
  65. StephenR.
    Jun 15, 2008
    The best thing since sliced bread... you must be having a laugh this challenges the wheel! Although Harris steals the show the cast are all excellent. With witty, unpredictable one liners and cleverly humerous storylines the show is to rival "friends as the greatest sitcom ever!
  66. EddieJ.
    Aug 7, 2008
    It's one of the best shows on tv. it's the nearest thing to real life on tv. It's funny (not the funniest) but it's very easy to relate to. i think if you watch enough episodes you'll start to see yourself and your friends in the show. i and also think it's more for an group between 24-35 yrs. old.
  67. AndrewC.
    Aug 9, 2008
    You will either love or hate this show. Actually you probably wont hate it, but you wont like it enough to care. The characters are charming and - I find - very easy to relate to. Barney makes the comedy, mostly due to the way the other characters are so unlike him, but he tries to convert them anyway. If you don't love this show in the first couple of episodes, then give up on it. You will either love or hate this show. Actually you probably wont hate it, but you wont like it enough to care. The characters are charming and - I find - very easy to relate to. Barney makes the comedy, mostly due to the way the other characters are so unlike him, but he tries to convert them anyway. If you don't love this show in the first couple of episodes, then give up on it. If you like it, however, keep going because most of what I've seen so far is gold. Expand
  68. M.A.
    Jan 3, 2009
    The show is cute and witty, but Neil Patrick Harris' character takes the show to incredible heights.
  69. JacobC
    Feb 2, 2009
    I can't remember a show where i have laughed so hard i could cry over and over. The cast is using their incredible talent to the max. Mondays can't come soon enough
  70. ThomasB
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fantastic show!
  71. HossamD
    May 15, 2009
    This one of the best Series for years, there is some twists in the story that you don't expect in this kind of comedies, Neil did a great job also.
  72. GuilhermeM
    May 9, 2009
    This show is awesome.
  73. sg
    Jun 24, 2009
  74. HC
    Jun 7, 2009
    One word: LEGENDARY!! It's a great show that's really fun, people don't rate it as high as it should be.
  75. SalilC
    Jul 1, 2009
    The best show ever!!!
  76. dhruvk
    Jul 25, 2009
    Its ideal combination of comedy and storyline the links that are made from one episode to other is simply mesmerizing in fact this show rocks.
  77. FeodorC.
    Aug 23, 2009
    One of the best TV shows, I've ever seen!
  78. RounakJ.
    Aug 24, 2009
    The best narrating style,and on top of it there's Barney!
  79. JunaD
    Nov 1, 2005
    This show is very entertaining. Neil Patrick Harris's character always make me laugh. Great writing and acting.
  80. TomH
    Nov 20, 2005
    funny, sweet, and It will leave you laughing so hard you will not remember that kind of fun since you watched family guy
  81. DonnaF
    Oct 16, 2005
    I love this show, and the cast is the best I've ever seen in a pilot. Usually links have to be worked out... this cast looks like they've been together forever. Neil Patrick Harris is wonderful as Barney.
  82. LeeN
    Oct 25, 2005
    Awesome show. Alyson Hannigan is the best ever!
  83. jimc
    Nov 20, 2006
    Funny show. I make sure to watch it every week.
  84. Jen
    Jan 21, 2006
    A standout cast. Unpredictable writing. Funny and witty and warm. Uneven at times, but well worth watching.
  85. NovC
    Jan 26, 2006
    Has a cast of characters that you care about from the moment you watch them... a very rare quality for most shows nowadays...
  86. JoeBruin
    Feb 28, 2006
    My favorite show by far. Love the show and the great writing. The characters, especially Barney, are well developed and interesting. Barney is the funniest character, Harris is fantastic. Please keep it going! I can't wait to see the story unfold.
  87. GavinD
    Apr 17, 2006
    The most enjoyable comedy on TV!
  88. CrazyA
    Jun 18, 2006
    Nice, laid back, easy-going humor, nice feeling for timing. Characters are more real-life than some other shows. The little jokes and remarks are like the ones you think of just after it would have been funny so say. Most sitcoms will put a character in a tricky situation, which will be solved just before the end of the show. This doesn't need that trick to fil an episode.
  89. davidr
    Sep 19, 2006
    Best show on television hands down.
  90. alanr
    Sep 25, 2006
    Intelligent, well-written show. And it's funny.
  91. LauraJ
    Jan 15, 2007
    Love the Show!
  92. Karan
    Dec 15, 2007
    I actually like the way it makes you follow the leads in the story but it used to be much funnier than the recent episodes. The FUN part of the series is fading gradually! But the previous seasons were VEREY funny!
  93. JohnH.
    Dec 18, 2007
    This show really grew on me after a few episodes. I hope it goes on for many seasons to come!
  94. TylerG
    Feb 27, 2007
    this show is the best show on television, hands down, its great comedy, great drama, and great acting is what makes it the best
  95. LJGee
    Apr 16, 2007
    Greatest show ever!! It makes me laugh harder than anything else I can remember.
  96. RamyS
    May 24, 2007
    At first I wasn't really a huge fan of the show. But then I actually wastched it and Boy am I glad to be addicted to this show. Its clever, fresh and fun. Its the next generation of friends, but better. The characters .have great one liners which are remebered. And theres Barney. He completes the Show. A lot of what he says sticks to mind, and is somewhat true. Amaizing show and At first I wasn't really a huge fan of the show. But then I actually wastched it and Boy am I glad to be addicted to this show. Its clever, fresh and fun. Its the next generation of friends, but better. The characters .have great one liners which are remebered. And theres Barney. He completes the Show. A lot of what he says sticks to mind, and is somewhat true. Amaizing show and should be kept for a while Expand
  97. Meg
    Aug 23, 2007
    My entire family LOVES watching this show. It is very funny and i think Neil Patrick Harris plays a very hilarious Barney. However it is very funny it doesnt crab my attention like Friends. the cast of Friends were a lot closer thant the How I met Your Mother characters.
  98. sg
    Aug 28, 2007
  99. AndyB.
    Dec 1, 2008
    Only show I schedule around; best sitcom on television. Neil Patrick Harris is a constant source of laughs, and it's impossible not to fall in love with Ted (Josh Radnor).
  100. Nicole
    Apr 16, 2008
    Amazing. This show is so much better than any and every other sitcom. It has so much heart and these characters are the type of people I would actually want to hang out with in real life. Most importantly, however, it is DIFFERENT than those other shows about young urban groups of friends thanks to its really unique story lines and editing styles.

1. Boston Globe
    Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Like ''Friends," this is not a big-themed series so much as a bunch of little character jokes and relationship confusions getting batted around by an able cast.
    The script is just poor.
  3. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Manages to get the balance of cuddliness and snark just right.