• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2005
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
8.5

1. Apr 1, 2013
    I wasn't initially expecting to like How I Met Your Mother but, seeing as even the best comedies take time to find their stride, I decided to stick with it and as this first season progressed I certainly began to see its appeal. I found only the odd episode consistently funny throughout but each it was able to raise a smile, as well as a few laughs.

Importantly however, unlike a number

Importantly however, unlike a number of generic sitcoms, How I Met Your Mother it is often willing to experiment with the structure of episodes and the main cast also undoubtedly bring a certain charm to their roles making it easy to care about the characters ensuring the show is never less than watchable.
    How I Met Your Mother may not have instantly become essential viewing for me but I will certainly continue watching into the shows second season and beyond and we have certainly seen far worse sit-coms make their way to us from across the pond.

To anyone reading this review I would say this is definitely a show worth trying for yourself.
  2. Feb 2, 2017
    How I Met Your Mother’s pilot season moves at a quick pace and provides plenty of laughs, although it is derivative of other sitcoms and can’t help feel inferior to ‘Friends’.
  3. Jun 13, 2011
    The show is witty, it has some great jokes stored in and I enjoy the show.
  4. Nov 29, 2012
    Starts out as a definite Friends rip off with Jason Segel saving the day. The main character is pretty obnoxious. Love interest suspense is blown right away (And that's how I met... your Aunt Robin), but we still have to suffer through several seasons of "will they won't they" when we know they won't... almost unbearable. Also, gimmick of dad telling the story to his kids doesn't makeStarts out as a definite Friends rip off with Jason Segel saving the day. The main character is pretty obnoxious. Love interest suspense is blown right away (And that's how I met... your Aunt Robin), but we still have to suffer through several seasons of "will they won't they" when we know they won't... almost unbearable. Also, gimmick of dad telling the story to his kids doesn't make much sense - they hit on it a few times ("Eating a giant Sandwich") But the dad is so often telling stories that are extremely inappropriate. Who would tell their kids details about all the chicks they banged before they met their mom? If you're going to start with a gimmick, at least stick with it. NPH's character is funny but one-note, especially in the early seasons, and Hannigan is funny too but occasionally disturbingly skinny to look at and too neurotic (never quite capturing the "Monica" of it all that she's trying for.). Cobie Smulders does a nice job with what is essentially a one-dimensional hot chick until quite a bit later in the season. Overall, this show improves the quality of the dialogue with time, but also kind of wears out its welcome due to the nature of the plot ("Ooo, when is he going to meet the mother?" Nobody cares.) Not a bad show, but not great either. Expand
  5. Nov 7, 2013
    How I Met Your Mother is one of those sitcoms where you sit down to have a good laugh and it turns out to have heart warming stories and a bunch of amazing personalities. Season One kicks off the show extraordinarily well, its filled with a bunch of memorable moments like when Ted steels the blue french horn for Robin, when Ted meets Victoria, new years, and a whole bunch more. HonestlyHow I Met Your Mother is one of those sitcoms where you sit down to have a good laugh and it turns out to have heart warming stories and a bunch of amazing personalities. Season One kicks off the show extraordinarily well, its filled with a bunch of memorable moments like when Ted steels the blue french horn for Robin, when Ted meets Victoria, new years, and a whole bunch more. Honestly when i started watching this show i did not expect it to become one of my top 5 favorite TV Shows. Its gonna be Legen- wait for it, and i hope your not lactose an tolerant because the second part of that word is dary. Expand
  6. Jun 9, 2011
    This is an amazing series! I love it an I am totally hooked on it! I am one of the thousands upon thousands of people that really want to know who is the mother and how we meet her! I love it, it is funny, and has a lot of suspense!
  7. Jun 4, 2011
    This show has a great cast , brilliant story lines , funny one-liners , believable plot and a huge amount of suspense as America , Europe and the rest of the world wait to find out who is the mother of , what has seem to become, our own.
  8. Dec 18, 2015
    Season 1 of How I Met Your Mother is incredible. It has a great story line and is really funny. The characters are unique and funny. This season is original and creative.
  9. Jun 4, 2011
    An amazing show, NPH is outstanding and the others are irresistible! It is a knock-out, as NPH would say, it's LEGEN.....wait for it.......DARY! So funny and has it's deep moments! Incredible, beware though, you might get hooked on fun!
  10. Sep 14, 2015
    How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) is a bit of a roller coaster when it comes to quality, especially in the later seasons, but overall it was still a worth while and funny show. This review is going to be tinged with disappointment because of how it all ended, but I loved the show, which is why I still rate and regard it highly. The jokes were funny, the plot was interesting, and the acting wasHow I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) is a bit of a roller coaster when it comes to quality, especially in the later seasons, but overall it was still a worth while and funny show. This review is going to be tinged with disappointment because of how it all ended, but I loved the show, which is why I still rate and regard it highly. The jokes were funny, the plot was interesting, and the acting was fantastic. I came to really care about the characters and I became really invested in finding out who would be the mother. However, I wasn't a fan of the S9 series finale and I wasn't a fan of how long the show remained on the air. The longer it went on the more it felt like the writers had lost the plot. By the end it was almost painful to watch. HIMYM just didn't stick the landing. Expand
  11. May 8, 2016
    Es muy tarde para reseñar esta serie pero el cariño por éste grupo amerita el tiempo empleado, "How I Met Your Mother" es una comedia romántica donde nos presenta a Ted Mosby, un padre que quiere contarle la historia a sus hijos de como conoció a su madre, narrando así su vida en New York con su grupo de amigos.
    La serie es es muy entretenida en estos 22 primeros episodios donde cada
    La serie es es muy entretenida en estos 22 primeros episodios donde cada personaje recibe su cuota en pantalla para ganarse el afecto de la audiencia, la trama nos muestra como Ted conoce a Robin Scherbatsky, una periodista más casada con su carrera que con el amor, y las hazañas que Ted y el grupo viven para verlos a éstos dos juntos, teniendo sus altas y bajas en el proceso.
    Mi recomendación es si les interesa esta serie disfruten cada uno de éstos episodios, el humor es fresco, la cuota romántica esta presente ya sea por Ted o Marshall y Lilly y todo se balancea a la perfección.
  12. Jun 4, 2011
    This is nothing like friends, just people do not want to move on.....and they don't have to, but they also don't have to bring down every other show because this is a refreshing new show and is really funny! It has a great cast and once you start watching it.....you have to go buying every other series, it is just this AWESOME fire deep within you, a LEGENDARY watch!
  13. Oct 22, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is amazing! I know a lot of people are slating the show saying it isn't funny and whatever and I can see that if you just watch the odd episode then you might be somewhat justified in that opinion. But seriously, watch it from the beginning and I assure you that you will love it! It truly is one of the cleverest sitcoms ever made and to anyone who thinks it isn't well written...you are just wrong! All I'd say is that even if you don't like it at first and don't think it's as funny as some others out there, stick with it and you will grow to love it and see that sitcoms don't just have to be about laughs all the time. The best show ever! Expand
  14. May 31, 2011
    A very good sitcom, which has a great combination of comedy and romance. I think Jason Segel and Alyson Hannigan play their roles incredibly well, and whilst some may understandably find Neil Patrick Harris' character a tad annoying, I think he does his job well. Overall, a great show
  15. Jul 5, 2011
    This show is the only thing that makes me laugh these days! Amazing! :D

MOVIE MOVIE MOVIE! :) We need a new few charachters! This so is like the best thing to watch! IF YOU DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW YOU HAVE TO! YOU ARE MISSING OUT!
  16. Jan 31, 2012
    Every character is so irresistible, and although this is probably one of the weaker seasons for jokes, the story is really interesting enough to carry you through.
  17. Nov 9, 2013
    This was my favorite show for a long time however I think this final season concept is terrible and is dreadful to watch. I feel like in 8 episode so far this season, the show has not gone anywhere. All it is this season is a bunch of jokes that are not even funny. I miss the lighthearted moments that made it more of comedy drama.
  18. Sep 8, 2015
    Funny and creatively written how i met your mother is a great tv series with a great blend of comedy romance and drama. It's one of the better shows out there!

7.8/10
  19. Jul 6, 2013
    The show is filled with poor actors, irritating characters and moronic moments. over rated and boring.
    This show is a poor version of FRIENDS. People should try and make something different, they have stolen many ideas and jokes from friends & these poor actors have not been able to execute even that properly. This show sucks big time, unlike friends in which you can laugh your asses out throughout the episode, the 22 min. running episode is only funny when Barney is around.
  20. Apr 6, 2014
    It's like Pulp Fiction in a way. The story is jumbled in confusing ways which eventually lead up to It's grand point. How I Met Your Mother does this well. It's entertaining in comedy, but that just might be It's only entertaining point.
  21. Mar 30, 2013
    This show is so amazing and it will be sad to see it go after season 9, the acting is amazing and I like the fact that it isn't a crappy sitcom with dumb jokes, its shows a lot of smarts and doesn't take itself too seriously
  22. Apr 20, 2013
    Boy, is this show bad or what. This show is really unfunny. With a cast like this, I really expected it to be actually funny. But sadly, this is all we get. It does tend to have it's decent episodes, but most of them (and I mean 90% of the episodes) are just bad. I mean seriously, it doesn't take over 8 seasons to tell the story of how one man met his lovely wife. Overall, it's a LONG...Boy, is this show bad or what. This show is really unfunny. With a cast like this, I really expected it to be actually funny. But sadly, this is all we get. It does tend to have it's decent episodes, but most of them (and I mean 90% of the episodes) are just bad. I mean seriously, it doesn't take over 8 seasons to tell the story of how one man met his lovely wife. Overall, it's a LONG... boring TV show. Expand
  23. Aug 2, 2011
    HIMYM is a gem. Solid acting, not always as funny as it should be, but never the less thrives on the presence of Neil Patrick Harris and Josh Radnor. However i hope i speak from everyone when i say CAN WE JUST MEET THE MOTHER ALREADY!
  24. Dec 26, 2012
    It is a comedy and it is funny, what else can there actually be for this genre. it does have some inconsistency in delivring the humor but 8 season in I still enjoy their company on screen.
  25. rah
    Nov 3, 2012
    I love this show. Every week it makes me laugh hysterically and gives me a reason to come back. All the actors are great, but what really makes me laugh is Barney Stinson played by Neil Patrick Harris. I highly recommend this show.
  26. Apr 27, 2015
    This show falls amazingly flat. The cast is so not funny and Neil Patrick Harris can not act (and he can be very rude). Jason Segal is generally very funny, but not in this.
  27. Jan 16, 2018
    hhhhaaaave you met ted..

How I Met Your Mother

The strength of the series is the way how they play with the time-line but this is also the reason why you will be disappointed in the end. Depicting a beautiful concept which could have been mind-blowing if taken care of, is still a definite one time watch for all the characters.
  28. Nov 12, 2011
    I never knew about this show until very recently and I accidentally watched an episode and after that I was hooked, since then i have watched every single episode ever made of the TV Show and it is absolutely amazing
  29. Dec 30, 2012
    Great script and hilarious.
  30. May 13, 2013
    Is this a comedy series?
    Is this a comedy series?
    I seriously doubt that any person could laugh while watching the series. Barney can not carry the load of all of his co-stars and make a whole episode as funny as one would like. The characters lack the depth. Other sitcoms which are running against HIMYM are much better-'' Friends, The big bang theory, Modern Family, Family guy, The Simpsons, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia etc.
  31. May 23, 2013
    this show is filled with poor actors, irritating characters and moronic moments. over rated and boring
  32. Apr 1, 2014
    Was very enjoyable for the first few seasons, then dragged through the rest with a few ups and downs in quality. The comedy was pretty solid early, but the drama was typically brought on forcefully and felt a bit soapy. The finale was very disappointing.
  33. Jun 6, 2016
    One of my favorite sitcoms so far. Being extremely hilarious, it's like another version of Friends. Perhaps, friends with better lives. However, the ending did put it off a little bit. The build up to the ending was amazing, but the ending didn't live up to my expectations.
  34. Jun 23, 2011
    Compelling in that each character is so purely individual- and hilarious even when their personalities reach ridiculously absurd heights. The comedy is consistently present, and the cast is lovable. I can rewatch every episode many times over.
  35. May 13, 2013
    This show is a poor version of FRIENDS. People should try and make something different, they have stolen many ideas and jokes from friends & these poor actors have not been able to execute even that properly. This show sucks big time, unlike friends in which you can laugh your lungs out throughout, the 22 min. running episode is only funny when Barney is on screen.
  36. Jun 1, 2013
    A truly wonderful sitcom that manages to strike a brilliant balance between comic moments and impressive character development. HIMYM's characters seem realistic and draw the audience in making them truly feel emotions towards the characters of the show.

The way in which the story is told through a series of flashbacks is also very impressive and a great deal of credit must go to the writers as this cannot have been an easy way to write the show but simply it works.
  37. Jun 18, 2013
    NEVER END PLEASE Because this is Legen-Wait for it DARY Such a good show Big Bang is so over rated, and this show with such depth and no continuous 'fillers' (pointless episodes made to fill up spaces) like honestly one episode penny says she loves Leonard well yeah it just leave that chuck Lorre go back to two and a half men which you have left for dead R.I.P TWO AND A HALF MEM
  38. Sep 17, 2013
    My favorite show. It takes humor, wit, and some romance and blend it in a pleasant show with appealing actors and an original storyline. Also, the way they present the mother and use symbolism throughout the show is genius.
  39. Jan 13, 2016
    A romantic comedy with a simple plot. The Show has a different style of narration and the amazing chemistry between the actors make it so appeaing. All the Characters and the script make these series such a huge hit.
  40. Mar 20, 2017
    dsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg;dsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkldsfg; uhjoigdfsbjkl Expand
  41. Mar 10, 2011
    This suuccckkkks!Please cancel this piece of crap.I wonder how much money they spend on this piece of crap that they could spend on a decent show?Bring back Charlie Sheen.Winning!
  42. Nov 23, 2012
    I love this show, I really do, Is it perfect? No, there are times when jokes misfire but that's easy to overlook. This is a comedy that makes you laugh because of it's extremely clever writing and of course the hilarious characters played by some very talented actors with Neil Patrick Harris arguably being the highlight. But it's not all about comedy, there is genuine drama here and notI love this show, I really do, Is it perfect? No, there are times when jokes misfire but that's easy to overlook. This is a comedy that makes you laugh because of it's extremely clever writing and of course the hilarious characters played by some very talented actors with Neil Patrick Harris arguably being the highlight. But it's not all about comedy, there is genuine drama here and not the cheesy tact on kind of drama that you would expect, I genuinely did care about these characters and the chemistry they all share together on screen makes it even more engaging. While it's not the funniest comedy I've ever seen, I instantly fell for this show after I saw the first episode and I cannot wait to see how the story of how Ted meets the mother finally comes to an end. Expand
  43. Apr 3, 2013
    One of my favourite shows and one of the best TV has to offer... Although you can tell it got most of its ideas from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. the storyline is unique funny and you get attached to the characters from the first episode. In addition to that the way they show us the mother in the episodes is genius and you just cant wait to find out who she is... The only reason its not getting aOne of my favourite shows and one of the best TV has to offer... Although you can tell it got most of its ideas from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. the storyline is unique funny and you get attached to the characters from the first episode. In addition to that the way they show us the mother in the episodes is genius and you just cant wait to find out who she is... The only reason its not getting a 10/10 is that some episodes can get a bit boring... Expand
  44. Dec 30, 2011
    This show is very funny and creative, perfect for those who are just looking to have a good time. The plot is somewhat monotonous and it does not evolve with time, but its central element of random hilarious situations is very strong and unique. The script is well written and interesting, it never bores you and it manages to make you laugh with simple ideas. The trama includes a romanticThis show is very funny and creative, perfect for those who are just looking to have a good time. The plot is somewhat monotonous and it does not evolve with time, but its central element of random hilarious situations is very strong and unique. The script is well written and interesting, it never bores you and it manages to make you laugh with simple ideas. The trama includes a romantic story that involves all characters that is as much funny and touching that reflects happiness and love. We also have the reflective facet that proves to be a big contribution with its emotional and clever discourses, all connected to each episode's main theme. Filled with memorable moments and a friendly cast, How I Met Your Mother is a very entertaining and chill-out series that is truly a delight to watch. Expand
  45. Jul 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good show. I wish I could say more. You won't find incredibly witty dialogue here, or well written humour. However, you will find good characters who act their parts well, and an intriguing storyline. The thing I really don't like about this show is how it's really dragged on over the years. They should've stopped this show when it wasn't stale and boring; however, they kept it going well past season 5 (which was the last season that was actually funny) due to the show's high ratings. The creators added to many unnecessary cliff hangers, and have added so many plot twists to the point that I just cringe whenever I see a bad one. Barney proposes to Quinn, and what happens? They flash forward to his wedding showing that the bride is Robin. This show is becoming a tedious affair to watch, and they should've finished the story long ago. Expand
  46. Feb 6, 2012
    HIMYM has been one of the most entertaining shows I've watched in a long time after falling in love with Friends. The inside jokes and even outside references (they make fun of Friends in one of the episodes) is hilarious. Like the fore-mentioned Friends, it does have it's flaws in that you can't readily pick up the show anywhere, you have to start from the beginning to really get the mostHIMYM has been one of the most entertaining shows I've watched in a long time after falling in love with Friends. The inside jokes and even outside references (they make fun of Friends in one of the episodes) is hilarious. Like the fore-mentioned Friends, it does have it's flaws in that you can't readily pick up the show anywhere, you have to start from the beginning to really get the most out of it otherwise you'll lose out on the hilarity of the show and it's genius. HIMYM is a must watch and if you were a fan of Friends, you'll instantly fall in love with this show. Expand
  47. Aug 7, 2013
    this show literally makes me laugh every episode. I can see how people wouldnt find it funny though, its one of those shows that u either love or hate.
  48. PHJ
    Mar 7, 2014
    Great starturn! The show sems like some kind of Friends and Big Bang Theory, but the idea is great and the shows follows it nicely, the characters are outstanding, the actors are great as well the performance, just great!

It's a starturn for this show really, but somes jokes sems to be repetitives, isn't something that spoilers the show at all, but is a little awkward detail.
  49. Dec 31, 2013
    A good start to a promising show. The show is very very smart, it keeps track of every single detail and remembers them to use in the future. The characters feel like real friends because of the way they have little jokes between them, very good start indeed. Although would make a better drama than comedy.
  50. Nov 28, 2017
    One of the best tv shows I've ever seen. It is a smart show that can connect the story told by the protagonist, sometimes in different times, and still add a bit of realism when the storyteller forgets some detail. In the end everything is complete and makes sense. Also really funny... very well done.
  51. Nov 3, 2010
    This is, perhaps, the most fantastically written prime-time comedy in years. The actors and characters are absolutely irresistible. The show has strayed from its original concept, and many critics who are not regular viewers or fans of the show seem to focus on that as a negative aspect, but it's not. The show continues to provide funny, heart-warming, and interesting plots. You kind ofThis is, perhaps, the most fantastically written prime-time comedy in years. The actors and characters are absolutely irresistible. The show has strayed from its original concept, and many critics who are not regular viewers or fans of the show seem to focus on that as a negative aspect, but it's not. The show continues to provide funny, heart-warming, and interesting plots. You kind of have to be a regular viewer to enjoy this show, since it incorporates more references to earlier seasons and episodes than any show since Friends. Great show, 10/10 for sure. Expand
  52. Jan 13, 2011
    Best comedy series, that's it. it should be rewarded with multiple golden globes and many other rewards, i mean, its the best comedy show i have ever seen, it is very unpredictable, very funny, very varied, and most of the things that happen int that show has happen to me and many other people, it is very highly well structured every episode and it just doesn't bore u at all unlike two andBest comedy series, that's it. it should be rewarded with multiple golden globes and many other rewards, i mean, its the best comedy show i have ever seen, it is very unpredictable, very funny, very varied, and most of the things that happen int that show has happen to me and many other people, it is very highly well structured every episode and it just doesn't bore u at all unlike two and a half men which i also like but its very repetitive same jokes same people, same house. i could see 10 episodes of how i met your mother in a row and not get bored at all... its always different and very well structured with unpredictable endings but at the same time they are all connected, its just beautiful. Expand
  53. Mar 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How i met your mother is usually a lot of fun. The characters are all great and original, BUT by the time of March 6th, 2012; we are officially waiting for that mother for nearly 8 years... It can be really boring sometimes. For example some episodes at 6th season following the death of Marshall's father were really a pain to watch. What they could do was to introduce the mother during season 4 and 5 then build the story on Ted and the mother. We have waited for 7 years and still no mother character ? I am starting to worry that Ted will meet with the girl while he is 40 years old. Expand
  54. Sep 8, 2011
    How I Met Your Mother, in my opinion, is the best american comedy since Friends, stellar cast, the best of whom has to be Neil Patrick Harris who play's a womaniser by the name of Barney Stinson. I came here assuming mostly good reviews but there seem to be a lot of people who do not rate this show at all, I can't understand why. I love it!
  55. Oct 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Every series reaches a point where it exhausts its premises. Sadly, HIMYM has about reached that point. For one of the funnier and certainly more clever sitcoms on television, all the warning signs are there and it is clear that the show is running out of gas.

When HIMYM began, the show managed combined a clever premise with a certain degree of outlandishness - Barney is nothing if not outlandish - and yet retain a very human feel. Ironically, as the characters have developed, they have managed to become both less believable and increasingly predictable.

Marshall gets his dream low paying job. Well, here is a plotline that has been run into the ground - and this at a moment with a child on the way. Don't get me wrong, we'd all like to be able to accept the job of our dreams and not worry about the money, but few of us can - and most of us would probably avoid it if we had a baby on the way. (Oh yeah, and how explain older Marshall's beautiful home office? Where did he get the money for that?) So what we get is a repeat of the Marshall and his job story, but now played out in a patently implausible way.

Then there is the endless merry go round of Barney and Robin and now a wedding. The show's creators hint that Barney and Robin will not necessarily get married but that things will happen between them of a romantic nature. Yes, here again, been there, done that. This falling in love with people we have been hanging around with and dating and then breaking up with, rinse and repeat has a regrettable "Friends" feel about it. Is it impossible? No, but it is so unlikely in real life and so repetitive in the series that it has become a bore.

Finally, there is Ted, the ostensible core of the show. What gave HIMYM its energy was that it always seemed to be moving toward that moment when he would meet the love of his life. This theme was played out in such a way that it made the story unique and gave it a cleverness and freshness that is very uncharacteristic in sitcoms. Unfortunately, what once seemed a neat idea has turned out to be cheat. (Think of "No Tomorrows - actually one of my favorite episodes - where the closing narration would have led the viewer to believe that Ted was now on the final path to meeting his future wife.)

This theme has been repeated so often that the viewer has come to the point where he is just sitting around waiting for Ted to meet his future wife, and no longer believing all the closing narrations about "how my life was about to change" and so forth. The clever concept has become the one trick pony and it has drained all the dramatic and therefore the comedic energy from the show. Add further the fact that Ted is barely recognizable anymore as the character he was. Yes, people do change, but for the viewer to believe that Ted was moving toward the love of his life, he must believe that Ted still wants to. Instead, we now have a character who seems more like a junior version of Barney - but too old to be credible in the part.

This is at the heart of what appears to be going wrong with HIMYM. Plots repeated too many times resulting in jokes that no longer carry their punch. The weird thing is that the characters have grown older and superficially at least, they have changed, but with the wrongheaded exception of Ted who rather repeats his plotline while seeming to have lost interest in it, they really are not going anywhere.

In fairness, the show has stored up such a resivoir of promise and good will that it would be a mistake to abandon it - at least yet. In the past, the writers have made mistakes with characterization - see Ted getting high at his high school reunion and indifferently wondering where his wife is as Exhibit A, not what you would expect from a man who met the love of his life. However, what once was an episodic error appears, with season 7, to be now a congenital defect.

The writers need to decide - will the characters on HIMYM begin to grow, or will they just keep waiting around the bar falling and re-falliing in love with each other and the periodic random guest star, recycling old plotlines to make overused jokes?
  56. Jan 18, 2012
    I loved this show! I watch it all the time. However, I think the addition of Kal Penn could have been a bonus. However, his role in the show seems pushed. It is clearly not a permanent one ...
  57. Apr 4, 2012
    Although, the "Friends" resemblances are unmistakably similar (thanks Pamela), "How I Met Your Mother" is a different approach for different audience. The episodes themselves are edited confusingly for general TV viewings, but the show gives a homey and cozy atmosphere.

The characters in the show are somehow uncharismatic. I find the character "Ted" way too similar to Friend's "Ross", and "Marshall" to "Chandler", "Barney" to "Joey" (but the idiot part was removed), and "Robin" to "Rachel", and "Lily" to "Phoebe" and Monica".

My point is that the show is clearly similar to "Friends" in a good way. I truly enjoy the weird episodes of the show and frankly, quite random, but simply put, the show is quite joyful.
  58. Oct 19, 2012
    I truly love this show it is the best sitcom since "FRIENDS" Neil Patrick Harris is funny as hell however Jason Segal is a little wierd but eithr way it's still the best sitcom ever.
  59. Jun 12, 2013
    I've been watching this show from the start, since it aired to be accurate. And I love it, Barney's jokes with the playbook and his other books are fantastic. Ted being a little baby about not finding his love can be very touching at stages. but sometimes funny, because one time he gets a tramp stamp.
    Robin is a buzz kill, whenever Marshall has fun, 85% of the time she buzz kills the fun... Sometimes that is boring, but sometimes funny.
    Lily and Marshall, the lovely couple. They have been together for sooo long, and now they share something that they can't just erase from their lives.

They've added some fun things that I've never heard before. The slapbet for example, I had never heard anything about this until HIMYM.
  60. May 19, 2013
    This show had a good goal. To make people anticipate for something for 8 long years and even extending to a 9th season. But most of their jokes and writing aren't that good and making people wait can be either a big mistake or a good thing and this looks like a big mistake. But it is a good show to watch to just pass the time
  61. Jun 12, 2013
    I didn't bother to watch "How I Met Your Mother" the title didn't sound to convincing. Then one day I didn't have nothing to do. So I finally decided to watch it. I regret not watching it when the first episode aired. I absolutely love this show! It's so funny. Every episode is funny. Especially the womanizer Barney. The show also show and tells you positive messages throughout the series.I didn't bother to watch "How I Met Your Mother" the title didn't sound to convincing. Then one day I didn't have nothing to do. So I finally decided to watch it. I regret not watching it when the first episode aired. I absolutely love this show! It's so funny. Every episode is funny. Especially the womanizer Barney. The show also show and tells you positive messages throughout the series. Like don't give up on friends and that they will always be there for you. Another great one is that do something and realize if its a mistake or not if it is don't do it again. And last one is don't give up keep trying. Overall this is a funny romantic positive show. That in every episode it keeps you entertained not bored. I absolutely love this show. It's a most see tv show! I give it a 10 out of 10 Expand
  62. Jun 16, 2013
    simply one of the best American series of all time
    the story is very good
    the flashbacks and the flash-forwards are very well organised
    and the actors are very funny
  63. Nov 28, 2013
    Yes, the show can be cheesy sometimes, but that's its' appeal. It's a light-hearted comedy which is pretty funny the characters are likeable and the show is entertaining.
  64. Mar 8, 2014
    It started so great, and I loved it, but the past three seasons have been truly awful, and basically been used just to pull more money in for the show. I'm glad it's ending so I won't have to see this awful show again.
  65. Feb 12, 2014
    No, just no. It was good first 3 seasons but then it has made feel so repetitive. So many awkward and unnecessary things happened. None of the characters are funny or original at all, except for Barney who is not anymore. It's just an average sitcom for me now. Just a cheap clone of Friends.
  66. Jul 15, 2014
    HILARIOUS, but not just that. It is so much in itself. I love it, its so funny, but at the same time, I cried at times, it's story is amazing, it just rocks.
  67. Feb 3, 2015
    I watched this show very quickly but i still liked it. It is not very funny i thought it was going to be hilarious but its entertaining. I think the character ted mosby is very much like me so i found it relate-able so i liked it but over all its a good show.
  68. Apr 13, 2015
    This show started as an original funny comedy. Then it just became repetitive and annoying.
    It's not funny anymore, and I don't get how can people still watch this.
  69. Jan 4, 2018
    Absolutely the best show I've ever watched. It meant a lot to me back then when I was watching for the very first time. It still brings me back memories and emotions.
  70. SteveS
    Oct 10, 2005
    The best new show on TV. Subtle and outrageous at the same time.
  71. Becky
    May 30, 2007
    this show is very funny, and i've just started watching it. Some of the writing is weak though, and i thought The Class was more fun and interesting, but i will keep watching this show.
  72. HR
    Jan 7, 2010
    I had avoided the show, it didn't sound sooo compelling, but after the first episode I was immediately hooked. This show easily tops "Friends", and makes my wife and me laugh out loudly. It's funny, it's versatile, and the acting is totally impressive - because it's convincing. A real gem!
  73. sg
    Apr 5, 2006
    best show ever
  74. JohnR
    Apr 17, 2007
    Awesome!
  75. EvanH.
    Sep 30, 2008
    It's like Friends, but updated, funnier, and with more meaning. Four seasons on, it's grown up and become even more. Excellent show.
  76. alex
    Oct 9, 2009
    Great show, started off a little slow in the first season, not much chemistry and writing was pretty lame. But from there it took off as the characters became more hilarious
  77. EmilyR
    May 8, 2009
    This is my favorite show that's currently on TV, and it has been since it started! I laugh out loud every week but I've also cried a couple of times and I love the characters.
  78. DavidG
    Jun 23, 2009
    A simply put, four years lasting Life Lesson.
  79. JacyL.
    Aug 2, 2009
    One Word Legend ... Wait for it ... Dary ! Great Show, great plot, kept me laughing the whole way through.
  80. JohnnyBravo
    Oct 10, 2005
    This show is great. One of the best shows i've seen in years. All the characters mesh well. Very funny.
  81. HilaryR
    Oct 15, 2005
    Smart cast and good writing.
  82. McFly
    Oct 20, 2005
    You know nothing about my mother
  83. MoniD.
    Oct 31, 2005
    The only show that keeps me in front of the tv lately. Great, I love it.
  84. JenG
    May 9, 2006
    Makes me laugh out loud every episode. The characters are so relatable and real; it's like watching my life (only much, much funnier!).
  85. gulce!!!!!!!!!!
    Jun 15, 2006
    i love that show jason segal is awesome he was awesome in freaks and geeks too its a gr8 show..
  86. JB
    Aug 12, 2006
    I wanted to like this show for the actors' sake. I'm sorry to say that I can't. The show lacks rythme, any sense of comedic timing and a sense of chemistry as amongst the actors. Worse are the lines they're forced to say, stilted and artificial as they are.
  87. AlexP
    Sep 21, 2006
    A very funny show that has been largely underrated in my opinion. The cast works well together, and there is an obvious chemistry between them. The show is worth watching just for Neil Patrick Harris as Barney. The rest of the cast fills in the show nicely, and they get themselves into some strange and amusing situations. Consistantly funny.
  88. heyjou
    Sep 28, 2006
    i think the show is really good, Neil patrick harris the best comedy actor ever
  89. Natasha
    Oct 7, 2007
    I disagree with those who compare the show to Friends, because it's totally individual. It doesn't astonish or shock the viewer, but it us sure to raise your spirits.
  90. Natalieo
    Oct 8, 2007
    The jokes get a bit old after a while
  91. AndyR
    Mar 10, 2007
    Clever and consistently funny - "friends" for the next generation.
  92. Jessica
    Aug 16, 2007
    I never would compare this to Friends. So much better. I'm glad there's none of that sexual tension going on here. It would take away from the show.
  93. JasonM.
    Sep 12, 2007
    It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's consistent and always leaves you with a good feeling. The plots are usually pretty funny although some are just typical sitcom ones. The highlight of the show is definitely the characters though.
  94. Tim
    Sep 4, 2007
    Wow I can't believe they're still making Friends knockoffs, Well it's been a while so I guess it was only a matter of time until a Friends ripoff finally became a hit. Staring people from Saved by the Bell: the New class nonetheless.
  95. LoisW.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Only reason I give it 9 instead of 10 is because it makes me uneasy that Ted and Robin do not end up together. Like how many variations on a theme can we get until Robin has to go, or a new character comes in? And I don't want that! Also, Barney is SO funny - we need more stories about his life, like a few in season one. He comes across in some shows like an unwelcome outsider. But Only reason I give it 9 instead of 10 is because it makes me uneasy that Ted and Robin do not end up together. Like how many variations on a theme can we get until Robin has to go, or a new character comes in? And I don't want that! Also, Barney is SO funny - we need more stories about his life, like a few in season one. He comes across in some shows like an unwelcome outsider. But he is the funniest character! Love this show. Oh! the catch phrases: "it's gonna be a thing" or "had to"... or lemon law. Expand
  96. MikeM
    Oct 1, 2009
    Talented and funny cast with great chemistry, backed by a clever script make this the best sitcom since Seinfeld.
  97. JorgeG
    Jan 10, 2009
    Great show. I do like the writing, though perhaps their rely on sitcom stereotypes too often. I guess that's just unavoidable sometimes. Alright, the figure of Barney is exagerated to create a cult character, but let's face it: he HAS some memorable moments.
  98. VedranB
    Jul 30, 2009
    Finally, after long time, worthy successor to legendary Seinfeld. Fine actors, good stories, and quite original flashback format. Clear 10!
  99. HuyB
    Sep 25, 2009
    Neil Patrick Harris is a completely incredible actor. The rest of the cast is very solid. The one-liners are original and don't get old. The story of How I Met Your Mother is very lengthy and as much as I'd like to know the ending, who the mother is, and how Ted met her...I don't mind never knowing as long as the story continues.
  100. MichelleW
    Sep 3, 2009
    This show is very entertaining. The comedy is through the roof. And the suspense build up for who the Mother is keeps you watching. Great show.

1. Boston Globe
    Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Like ''Friends," this is not a big-themed series so much as a bunch of little character jokes and relationship confusions getting batted around by an able cast.
    The script is just poor.
  3. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Manages to get the balance of cuddliness and snark just right.