• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 14, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.9

1. Feb 20, 2011
    love how to make it in america! it has a fantastic visual style! i also like the music! story is great and the characters and their actors very convincing!
    and i can't wait for season two to air!!
  2. Feb 12, 2011
    This ia a great show! I'm so glad it's being shown on a HBO cos if this was on a huge American network it would of been axed by the second episode!!! I'm kind of surprised a lot of people are comparing this show to Entourage cos I hate Entourage lol.........I would recommend this show to anyone who likes a dialogue driven slow burner!!! The writing in this show is fantastic.
  3. Dec 4, 2011
    I really like the show's atmosphere: the visual style, the soundtrack, the New York scenery. All of it. I also like that it is kind of slow paced (fortunately it's airing on HBO or else it would get axed). I find the characters easy to relate to. You feel their desire to make their way in the big city, the moments of self-doubt, the questioning, the ups and downs in friendship. Anyway I guess it's not for everyone but at least I enjoyed it. Season 2 just ended and I can't wait to see season 3. Expand
  4. Jul 20, 2011
    I just discovered this show yesterday and watched all 8 episodes from beginning to end and was craving more. I didn't notice Mark Wahlberg's attachment 'til the 4th episode, I don't like seeing credits until a few episodes in so I don't have a bias when I start a new show. I didn't once get an Entourage vibe from it, and I'm an avid Entourage fan. I actually found this more tasteful for the audience, drugs and sex aren't blasted in your face as most shows aiming towards the youth of today. The main characters Ben and Cam start from nothing, and only have some extra cash to their names in the end of the first season. They're both hustlers like everyone else in the world trying to sell themselves, just because they're hustlers doesn't make it wrong. Martha Plimpton's character Edie even states "There's no right or wrong way to make it in the world of today". Especially in a show set in today's economic world. The show has under tones of different themes in the world today, such as outsourcing in markets around the world, and branching and branding away from the home-front. I myself am a 23yr old Canadian, and found this very relatable growing up in Vancouver and pushing myself today to make something of my life. Because of how rapidly youth is progressing today and what we're exposed to, there is a larger gap in understanding between us and the older generation which is why this show could have a short-coming as it appeals to young entrepreneurs of today who aren't given a voice because we are a coddled generation trying to break free. This show should be given a chance to prove itself as the youth of today should be too. I'm recommending this show to everyone I know. Collapse
  5. Oct 2, 2011
    By far the most original story in a long time. Wonderfully written scripts and an amazing cast, Particularly Greenberg and Mescudi. I found myself angry when things went wrong for them, when thing didn't go their way (and when rene got involved). Then I was genuinely happy when things went right, when they finally got orders. Finally, I HATE the ex girlfriend!
  6. Oct 6, 2011
    Great show...plot puts the hook in your mouth. Funny, painful and street flavor. HBO and Mark Wahlberg hits another one out of the park. Looking forward to the second season.
  7. Oct 8, 2011
    I like the Dominican aspect of the pilot, but I think the lead character is meh. Wahlberg is trying to portray ordinary Americans instead of stars (Entourage). This takes much more skill as the audience must connect with the characters. I do not think Americans will develop a fondness for the characters, and I think the show will not last long.
  8. Nov 5, 2011
    This is a great show, it portrays two entrepreneurs trying to make it big in the fashion business. The two lead characters are elaborate and show psychological depth. It is fast paced and entertaining and overall catches the essence of the New York street spirit.
  9. Nov 23, 2011
    Such a great hit show since HBO's hit series Entourage. Both show's have something in common and that's that there both classic shows. All i gotta say is i **** love this show.... gonna be the next entourage period.
  10. Jun 30, 2013
    Luckily I'm still young and ex-art school student enough to enjoy this show.
    It's a shame that its third season was cancelled but it is understandable because the target audience is very specific and small.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    With a strong assist from Luis Guzmán as Cam's loan-shark cousin, Make It doesn't have a lotta laughs, but it's got charm and a feel for the atmosphere of downtown art galleries, parties, and business hustling.
  2. Reviewed by: Randee Dawn
    There are flashes of light--Rene (Luis Guzman), the ex-con Our Heroes go into debt with is a menacing delight with his own delusions of grandeur, and Cam's frenetic, audacious ambition blasts the plodding story line along in most unexpected ways. But Ben, sans direction or real ambition, is a black hole in every scene and fails in convincing the audience that he knows what he wants for dinner, much less out of life.
  3. While HBO’s new "How to Make It in America" is light on plot, characterization and humor, it’s got atmosphere to spare. And for a few episodes, that may be enough.