• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 16, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
9.1

1. Feb 3, 2018
    Definitely a good show, especially if you liked Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood and Walton Goggins in the Shield. It definitely has a western feel to it, not as much as Longmire, but its there.

I cheated a bit though, I watched the first few episodes when it first came out and I really liked it. However, like most things life caught up and I wasn't able to finish the season. Following

Following US Marshall Raylan Givens (Elephant) as he is transferred back to his home state as a punishment due to his proclivity to shoot bad guys down. There he meets with an old friend named Boyd Crowder (Goggins) who is part of the criminal world there.

It tells about why Raylan left his small town along with his family, friends and history and how he tries to avoid dealing with it when he comes back. Combine that with him attempting to take down the Crowder clan, full of criminals, especially Boyd it makes for pretty good tv. The writing and acting are great, and it goes by quick. I sometimes wonder if 13 episode seasons aren't the best way to do tv since it forces them to make it tight storytelling.

Pros: Great acting, writing, etc. Pretty much all of it is in the top 10% of television.

Cons: I get a little uncomfortable with how they portray people from very small towns in Kentucky. It feels a bit tropey, and I can't tell how accurate it is. So sometimes I wince a little.

Already halfway through Season 2 because it is that good, and I hadn't seen Season 2 before.
  2. Nov 20, 2017
    Season one is a great start to what can be an excellent show. A majority of the episodes were episodic plots that didn't have the punch that the premiere had. Within those episodes, however, we had great characters that will be remembered. Timothy Olyphant and Walter Goggins make their characters worth remembering. The final three episodes picked up the pace and had more overarchingSeason one is a great start to what can be an excellent show. A majority of the episodes were episodic plots that didn't have the punch that the premiere had. Within those episodes, however, we had great characters that will be remembered. Timothy Olyphant and Walter Goggins make their characters worth remembering. The final three episodes picked up the pace and had more overarching character arcs. The ending sets up for what can be a fantastic second season. Expand
  3. Sep 15, 2016
    Why oh why did this series have to end? I loved this show. Raylan is so dang funny and I love the way he cuts through the BS and red tape and gets the bad guys off the street by killing those who need killing before they can kill him. Holy sad day when this show ended.
  4. May 18, 2016
    Now as a preface this is a review of not only season 1 but the whole series. Also I watched Season 1 year or two ago and then stopped for some reason. I returned recetnly since I had nothing else to watch and do not regret it.

However be warned that Justified is not your regular TV Show. If there can be a comparison with different shows it would be that of "The Wire". And now before hard fans of that fantastic TV Show raise their pitchforks - think about it. Justified tells not only story of its main Protagonist. You get to see the life in Harlan County displayed from different angles via stories of main heroes and villains. Some characters stay for a long time, others jump into the scene here and there and many more meet their untimely deaths.

Justified is masterpiece of story and character building, but it needs some investment from the viewer. It is very dynamic so if you don't like where some story or character arc leads more likely than not you will be positively surprised later. The world of Harlan County is very well fleshed out and very believable, the acting is top notch together with intelligent dialogues.

In my opinion one of the best TV Shows of all times.
  5. Oct 11, 2015
    Having been involved in a high profile, and rather questionable shooting, US Marshal Raylan Givens is transferred from Miami back to his home town in Kentucky and soon becomes tangled up in business he thought he'd left behind for good.

Justified is one of those those shows that hits the ground running from the very first scene and, thanks to some very good writing and performances, makes for a great watch throughout the thirteen episodes on offer here.
  6. Jan 25, 2015
    The good: always been a well written show from season 1 till 5. The acting is superb and the character (even some of the bad guys) are just loveable. This and Longmier has been the best "Western" themed shows that I've seen on the tube over the past 5 years.

The bad: there ain't no more seasons after this year! Shame....truly.
  7. Apr 17, 2014
    I found this show in the middle of I think it was season 3, and was immediately hooked. I've kept up religiously since then. Only in the past few weeks did I finally get around to starting from the beginning and filling in the gap. So glad I did. It's been more fun and satisfying than I ever expected to see where Raylon, Boyd, Ava, Dewey, etc., started together, and how they got to howI found this show in the middle of I think it was season 3, and was immediately hooked. I've kept up religiously since then. Only in the past few weeks did I finally get around to starting from the beginning and filling in the gap. So glad I did. It's been more fun and satisfying than I ever expected to see where Raylon, Boyd, Ava, Dewey, etc., started together, and how they got to how they relate now. Brilliant. Expand
  8. Feb 17, 2014
    Continuing the latest trend of flawed heroes and villains loved more than their counterparts, Justified takes a wonderful series of novels and the characterisation of a flawed Marshall who, despite his desire to always achieve the right result, is quite plainly a bad lawman.

Timothy Olyphant does a masterful job of portraying this character, as does Goggins in his portrayal of deceptively insightful and intelligent criminal Boyd Crowder. The show displays real and consistent character development that stays with the characters beyond the initial story arc, and is well worth the time
  9. Jan 1, 2014
    Una de las mejores series del panorama actual, totalmente imprescindible. La relación Raylan-Boyd es totalmente impresionante, le da vida a toda la trama, los giros, la acción. No tiene desperdicio.
  10. Dec 26, 2013
    Starting strong and finishing even stronger, this first season of Justified delivered strong with great action and writing that is acted about as excellently as possible. I won't pick a stand-out character because that is impossible among the more than a dozen people like Raylan, Art, Tim, Ava, Boyd, Dewey, and Bo, but suffice it to say that the show is more entertaining in between theStarting strong and finishing even stronger, this first season of Justified delivered strong with great action and writing that is acted about as excellently as possible. I won't pick a stand-out character because that is impossible among the more than a dozen people like Raylan, Art, Tim, Ava, Boyd, Dewey, and Bo, but suffice it to say that the show is more entertaining in between the gunfights than during, which is saying a lot. Expand
  11. Nov 27, 2013
    Great acting, interesting storyline and some of the best lines ever.
    -Why can't you bail him out?
    - Those are the first words out of your mouth?
    - I'll start again. I see you're still smoking.
  12. Nov 26, 2013
    Old-school U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Timmy Olyphant- Damages) comes back to his childhood home in the poor, rural coal-mining towns in Eastern Kentucky. While battling out his past with Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins The Shield) and his other associates. At the beginning of the start of the show you catch Raylan in a situation where he has illegally shot a known suspect in Miami Beach, asOld-school U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Timmy Olyphant- Damages) comes back to his childhood home in the poor, rural coal-mining towns in Eastern Kentucky. While battling out his past with Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins The Shield) and his other associates. At the beginning of the start of the show you catch Raylan in a situation where he has illegally shot a known suspect in Miami Beach, as the Marshal Service try to justify this incident,they end up reassigning him to Kentucky.

As for the shows plot line, Its great with broad characters and many episodes to find out who they really are and what their capable of. Boyd and Rayland often get in fuss together as both try to conduct their business one of the law and the other of a criminal enterprise, which also makes the show interesting but often dull. But as you find out about both characters pasts together it becomes a lot more intriguing. Other criminals come into harlan county to start a stir (dixe mafia, etc) and follows specifically Raylan and Boyds interactions with the present situation. Most seasons start and end with a new character being killed off for whatever mess they got into but Boyd and Raylan still prevail.

Bottom line I completely recommend this show, has fantastic writing and I absolutely love all of the characters. Episodes are sometimes dull but when the time comes when something major in the series surfaces it becomes really intense. Definitely on my top 10 favorites.
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    This is a cumulative review of all 4 seasons of this show so far:
    This is a cumulative review of all 4 seasons of this show so far:
    One of the best shows on television. I'd put it behind Breaking Bad, Homeland and Game of Thrones but one could certainly argue that is could be second behind Breaking Bad for current or recently ended shows (so long Breaking Bad). There is no one element that makes this show spectacular but rather the combination of excellent acting by brilliantly cast characters in a very strong story directed to the nines.
  14. Nov 13, 2013
    It's laughable that someone can watch a single episode of a show and then try and say something about it to people who are up to date. I try to give shows the benefit of the doubt until they at least have two, preferably three seasons under their belt certainly before giving a proper review. I don't consider the show to be off of the ground until the third season is finished and the fourthIt's laughable that someone can watch a single episode of a show and then try and say something about it to people who are up to date. I try to give shows the benefit of the doubt until they at least have two, preferably three seasons under their belt certainly before giving a proper review. I don't consider the show to be off of the ground until the third season is finished and the fourth has been greenlit. Justified is the best non sci-fi show that I have ever watched; and yes I was an avid viewer of Breaking Bad and the last season of that was utter garbage it completely disgraced everything the show had built itself up to be but that's okay because that show never gripped me like Justified does, I never cared about any of the characters in Breaking Bad they were all mind numbingly stupid not to mention boring and down right annoying, in season 1 of Justified you get to see what meth operations really look like not fantasy world where a geezer can just up and start cooking residential meth and pull the flukiest and cartoon-ish escapes from situations that are already farfetched I felt like it was a cartoon honestly the amount of ridiculously implausible occurrences that happen it's a joke; and at the end he admits that everything that happened in the whole show was pointless and just dies. Lamest ending of the season and yes I was a Dexter fan as well I still say nothing could possibly be as bad as that whole fifth season. Any way we're here fro A great show and praise it shall have... cheers to Justified a truly badass show Expand
  15. Sep 17, 2013
    I must say, one of today's most charming series! Fortunately, not crime-related rather nice country atmosphere spiced action-drama series and say good-western influences.
  16. Jul 26, 2013
    This is probably the best show on American TV right now. It is gritty. It is entertaining and the characters ring true. Most people from the south see nothing but stereotypes on regular TV. The characters on Justified ring true.
  17. May 28, 2013
    Justified is currently my favorite show on TV. The casting, writing, and acting all come together to create a thoroughly entertaining television experience. It's a drama, but it can also be witty, hilarious. The dialog is snap crackle popping smart, in the always enjoyable style of Elmore Leonard. The dance between the US Marshals and the bad guys is choreographed in a way thatJustified is currently my favorite show on TV. The casting, writing, and acting all come together to create a thoroughly entertaining television experience. It's a drama, but it can also be witty, hilarious. The dialog is snap crackle popping smart, in the always enjoyable style of Elmore Leonard. The dance between the US Marshals and the bad guys is choreographed in a way that reminds me of the Road Runner and Wiley E. Coyote.

Timothy Olyphant is so super cool in his portrayal of US Deputy Marshal Raylan Givens. Walton Goggins as Raylan's 'frenemy,' Boyd Crowder is outstanding. And every single cast member and guest star is equally well suited for his/her role. I love them all.
  18. Apr 3, 2013
    A great show with excellent dialogue, dry humor and quality actors. It has it's downfalls and poorly written episodes like every other show but overall it is a fun ride.
  19. Feb 21, 2013
    It was too disjointed for me to enjoy. I like good plotting and characterization, and although the latter was there, the lack of the former was evident until later in the season. The last few episodes managed to weave the whole story together somewhat but it wasn't enough. There are definitely better first seasons out there. This season was overrated and did not make me want to watch theIt was too disjointed for me to enjoy. I like good plotting and characterization, and although the latter was there, the lack of the former was evident until later in the season. The last few episodes managed to weave the whole story together somewhat but it wasn't enough. There are definitely better first seasons out there. This season was overrated and did not make me want to watch the next season. Expand
  20. Feb 21, 2013
    Justified is a solid character driven show that delivers in creating unique plots and season long story arcs. I enjoy that justified attempts to be unpredictable while still maintaining a consistent storyline that's compelling to follow. I also like how each season successfully delves into a unique dilemma that has to be solved or averted in cliffhanger fashion. Other strengths of theJustified is a solid character driven show that delivers in creating unique plots and season long story arcs. I enjoy that justified attempts to be unpredictable while still maintaining a consistent storyline that's compelling to follow. I also like how each season successfully delves into a unique dilemma that has to be solved or averted in cliffhanger fashion. Other strengths of the show center on the excellent villains, strong acting, and frequent sarcastic humor. However, I find that Justified typically lacks a positive vibe (a lot of backstabbing, betrayal), leaving me wondering if I even care whether the main character fails. Still though, the series is solid and I continue to look forward to each new season with anticipation. Expand
  21. Feb 14, 2013
    Every man who watches this show wishes he was Raylan Givens. Handsome, quietly confident, wry sense of humor, and kills bad guys, but only when it's wait for it justified. Several great supporting characters. The screen crackles when Raylan and Boyd Crowder have a scene together. Gorgeous actresses. GREAT villians. Fun twisty unpredictable stories. Somebody finally figured out how toEvery man who watches this show wishes he was Raylan Givens. Handsome, quietly confident, wry sense of humor, and kills bad guys, but only when it's wait for it justified. Several great supporting characters. The screen crackles when Raylan and Boyd Crowder have a scene together. Gorgeous actresses. GREAT villians. Fun twisty unpredictable stories. Somebody finally figured out how to "do" Elmore Leonard. My favorite show on TV Expand
  22. rcj
    Feb 2, 2013
    Perfect on all counts writing, directing, casting and acting. One of the few shows of all time that I've been addicted to. I've seen all through season 3.
  23. Dec 29, 2012
    LOVE this show! If I could rate it higher I would. The acting is great, Timothy O is absolutely amazing, the modern day Clint Eastwood! The writing is fantastic and the series flows from show to show. Each season has gotten better than the previous one and it keeps you on the end of your seat, no one and nothing is sacred or protected. I can't count the number of times I have said outLOVE this show! If I could rate it higher I would. The acting is great, Timothy O is absolutely amazing, the modern day Clint Eastwood! The writing is fantastic and the series flows from show to show. Each season has gotten better than the previous one and it keeps you on the end of your seat, no one and nothing is sacred or protected. I can't count the number of times I have said out loud, "ohh wow, holy crap!" (and I usually watch it alone!! It is the show you want to have a quiet household to watch with no interruptions or distractions. Phones off!! Bring on Marshal Givens!!!! Expand
  24. Aug 24, 2012
    Smart, funny, great complex and interesting characters excellent writing... I enjoy every episode and I can't t wait for next season. Olyphant is amazing in this show.
  25. Aug 2, 2012
    Hands down the best of the cop shows on TV. Timothy Olyphant is superb with hardly a missed beat by any of the support players. Well written, note perfect acting and a great balance in genre. There is solid action with romance that doesn't seem to be added 'just because we need the chick demographics'. Some well thought out drama tempered with great elements of comic relief (Damon HerrimanHands down the best of the cop shows on TV. Timothy Olyphant is superb with hardly a missed beat by any of the support players. Well written, note perfect acting and a great balance in genre. There is solid action with romance that doesn't seem to be added 'just because we need the chick demographics'. Some well thought out drama tempered with great elements of comic relief (Damon Herriman as Dewey Crowe is brilliant). Can't rightly think why this would get anything less than 6. Matt Passmore from The Glades should take notes from Timothy Olyphant on how to play smart tough and cool. Expand
  26. LJQ
    Apr 19, 2012
    It's a fantastic series and I don't know how we are going to wait until the next season starts! It had me hanging on the edge of my seat and hankering for more when every episode was over. I love the laconic humor and unexpected twists. The only two criticisms I have are - there isn't a whole lot of intelligent police work happening (eg when Arlow confesses to the shooting at the end ofIt's a fantastic series and I don't know how we are going to wait until the next season starts! It had me hanging on the edge of my seat and hankering for more when every episode was over. I love the laconic humor and unexpected twists. The only two criticisms I have are - there isn't a whole lot of intelligent police work happening (eg when Arlow confesses to the shooting at the end of the series- they just believe him without any evidence) Not that I want this show to turn into another CSI because I hate those shows, but it just seems a little silly that it's not a factor. The other criticism is that Timothy Olyphant doesn't take his shirt off enough! I don't know why he isn't cast in more movie roles because we love his work. Expand
  27. Apr 11, 2012
    I give it a 10 out of 10, although not as good as Sons of Anarchy, the show does not deserve less than ten. Maybe Sons gets a 10.5. The show hardly ever gets cheesy, keeps me on my toes, and offers a great story to follow, without leaving any show boring. It should be watched from the beginning, S01E01, or you may miss much. But I love this show, and even after Season 3, it still is great,I give it a 10 out of 10, although not as good as Sons of Anarchy, the show does not deserve less than ten. Maybe Sons gets a 10.5. The show hardly ever gets cheesy, keeps me on my toes, and offers a great story to follow, without leaving any show boring. It should be watched from the beginning, S01E01, or you may miss much. But I love this show, and even after Season 3, it still is great, actually, it is better. Expand
  28. Apr 1, 2012
    I'm learning a lot about another world from watching, "Justified", that I've only vaguely been aware of, most of it based on my own family's history in Arkansas and Tennessee. There are plenty of very real characters portrayed in this series that could very easily be members of my family. It feels a little weird to get acquainted this way but its a whole lot safer than in person.I'm learning a lot about another world from watching, "Justified", that I've only vaguely been aware of, most of it based on my own family's history in Arkansas and Tennessee. There are plenty of very real characters portrayed in this series that could very easily be members of my family. It feels a little weird to get acquainted this way but its a whole lot safer than in person. Winter's Bone is movie that I would highly recommend for those who find this program worth watching. Expand
  29. Mar 21, 2012
    Justified is another cop drama, but with a fresh spin on the played out genre. A well-rounded cast and solid writing have kept me coming back every week since the pilot aired.

Initially, every episode resulted in Raylan solving every scenario with a well-timed shot, but the stories have been taking a different direction this season and have renewed my interest in the plot and where it's going. Well worth the watch.
  30. Mar 16, 2012
    This show has a cool factor. Raylan Givens and Boyd Crowder are the main guys, and everyone else will likely die in this or a future episode, and that's ok... Not a typical shoot em up law show. Usually some unexpected turns. Always give kudos to shows where they make you root for the good guys and the bad guys at the same time.

Olyphant is surrounded by a terrific supporting cast, including Dirty Sexy Money's Natalie Zea as Raylan's ex-wife and Nick Searcy (Deke Slayton in From the Earth to the Moon) as his deceptively cornpone boss. But in the end, it comes down to hard stares and that combination of drawled amusement and sudden violence that make him so cool yet exciting.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Olyphant plays this laconic, loping lawman with a smiling minimalism that makes Givens both iconic and contemporary.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The result is a new-style western that's both entertaining and as mesmerizing as Givens' cold-blooded speech to the crook with the scattergun.