Looking : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 19, 2014
Season #: 1, 2
8.0

1. Feb 18, 2014
    It has a very appealing and human side, that gives the show authenticity. It is a show that is generous, in that way that you feel with the characters and the basic situations they go through.
  2. Oct 23, 2014
    I initially thought it would be a boring clichéd picture of gay life as we know it, but it quickly turned out to be a pointedly realistic view of it. The characters are believable and authentic -- and perhaps the best of all is that I can actually identify with the characters. Quite a refreshing break from the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Well worth the watch, although the authenticI initially thought it would be a boring clichéd picture of gay life as we know it, but it quickly turned out to be a pointedly realistic view of it. The characters are believable and authentic -- and perhaps the best of all is that I can actually identify with the characters. Quite a refreshing break from the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Well worth the watch, although the authentic nature of the series might offend some people of the non-gay orientation... Expand
  3. Jan 21, 2014
    Couldn't believe the authenticity and delicacy of this show. This is the type of television that can save lives. Bravo to the people involved. Can't wait to watch more.
  4. Mar 15, 2014
    This is the kind of great writing that is the difference between acceptable TV and brilliant TV. There is an authenticity about the characters, all of them, that hooks you in. You know people like this, you are people like this. That's the difference that makes certain shows watchable and re-watchable in 10 years, whereas others are popcorn and forgotten. Don't let the short-attention-spanThis is the kind of great writing that is the difference between acceptable TV and brilliant TV. There is an authenticity about the characters, all of them, that hooks you in. You know people like this, you are people like this. That's the difference that makes certain shows watchable and re-watchable in 10 years, whereas others are popcorn and forgotten. Don't let the short-attention-span reviewers put you off, it's awesome, and with the short episode time, does take at least 2-3 episodes to properly show you enough to hook you. Top tier performances from all the principals. Expand
  5. Jan 22, 2014
    The series covers various topics experienced in gay communities, dealing with real, without masks. The characters live their dramas becoming more real fiction. The pilot of 2014.
  6. Jan 26, 2014
    Complicated and clear, realistic and dreamy, entertaining and edgy at the same time, shows everyday life of a group of gay friends living in San Francisco.The first episode is a promise to its viewers, promising that the show will get even better and better with its good acting (especially Jonathan Groff as a gay man with problems) and well-done writing.I will be watching and I want thatComplicated and clear, realistic and dreamy, entertaining and edgy at the same time, shows everyday life of a group of gay friends living in San Francisco.The first episode is a promise to its viewers, promising that the show will get even better and better with its good acting (especially Jonathan Groff as a gay man with problems) and well-done writing.I will be watching and I want that promise to be kept. Expand
  7. Jan 30, 2014
    I was skeptical at the first episode but as the season progresses I find myself more and more attached to the characters and their stories. It's nice to see these people living normal lives and I love that it is set in San Francisco. The only issue I have with the show is that app Grindr is pushed throughout the show, not every gay man uses that app and finds it disgusting. Other thanI was skeptical at the first episode but as the season progresses I find myself more and more attached to the characters and their stories. It's nice to see these people living normal lives and I love that it is set in San Francisco. The only issue I have with the show is that app Grindr is pushed throughout the show, not every gay man uses that app and finds it disgusting. Other than that, the show is very well done. Expand
  8. Mar 19, 2014
    Quite real and moving gay daily life. San Francisco makes me wanna immigrate to the US. I really like Patrick because he is not handsome. And Andrew Haigh is a genius, definitely.
  9. Feb 24, 2014
    When I first viewed "Looking's" first 2 episodes, I was extremely disappointed by its lack of plot and seemingly cliché characters. However, I must say that by its third episode, the show found its footing. There is still no plot to talk about, but the characters are now developing into fully realized men, and their interactions with each other ARE the plot. Once I understood that, theWhen I first viewed "Looking's" first 2 episodes, I was extremely disappointed by its lack of plot and seemingly cliché characters. However, I must say that by its third episode, the show found its footing. There is still no plot to talk about, but the characters are now developing into fully realized men, and their interactions with each other ARE the plot. Once I understood that, the show became a lot more accessible, and I learned to appreciate its style. I still believe the show needs a little bit more of a pulse to reach the greatness that it could become, but for now I recommend giving the show a second try (skip the first 2 episodes because they suck). If you do, you will see some of the most frank and intimate conversations about gay life ever portrayed on screen. It's just too bad the pacing almost killed the show for me. Expand
  10. Jan 30, 2014
    What Looking has going for it is the fantastic cinematography and art direction. What works against it is its cliched portrayal of gay culture in San Fransisco. However, given that sexuality is a central theme of the show, I expect these cliches to soften as the show settles down.
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    Everything about this tv show is believable, gay or straight. Great main characters, good and subtle acting. Good humour aswell, very astute. It amazes the authenticity it brings to the table. A definite must watch.
  12. Mar 19, 2014
    This show is looking for some good writing, editing, and direction. The characters are completely dull and uni-dimensional, and after each episode I'm left feeling like 30 minutes passed and I was sitting in front of a screen with nothing but static and disparate Instagram photos of San Francisco with no apparent thematic relation or overall story line.

I get that the protagonist is

I get that the protagonist is flawed and has issues, but a skillful writer can take that concept and make it so the character isn't flat out annoying. The supporting protagonists are mere interlopers to the show as a whole, showing up just when you want to flip all the tables at every coffee shop in the mission because the main character is so annoying. After watching every episode of the first season I feel like I know nothing more about these people or their environment than I did when the first episode aired. Basically, there's no story at least not one that is interesting.

The editing and direction need serious help too. There are pregnant pauses and long overwrought sighs in the dialogue that are wasted moments for character development. Not to mention the long looks at computer screens for OKCupid or Grindr. I found myself adding my own dialogue in these moments and then questioned why I am even paying HBO for this show when I'm clearly doing a much better job of entertaining myself. There are out of place scenes that don't offer much and there are times when I felt like the director didn't even show up to the filming and the actors were winging it.

In the end this show is nothing but a concept, that being "Gay men. 2014. San Francisco." From the end product it looks like there was little or no thought past that. There needs to be something more than that, let us know where these people are from, what brought them to San Francisco, where do they want to go, how do they know each other? I will say this, my favorite part of the entire first season was the last 2 minutes of the last episode...where you are watching two of the protagonists watch the Golden Girls, a show with all of the attributes that Looking is looking for.
  13. Apr 11, 2014
    According to this show, Juan Pablo was correct in saying that homos are perverts. Boy how HBO can get some shows totally right and then dump other greats meanwhile produce something as bad as this? I don't get it. Anyway. Looking is nothing more than a disgusting look at the big city materialistic American mentality. That is, sex drugs and I'm gay everybody look at me. Seriously, whoAccording to this show, Juan Pablo was correct in saying that homos are perverts. Boy how HBO can get some shows totally right and then dump other greats meanwhile produce something as bad as this? I don't get it. Anyway. Looking is nothing more than a disgusting look at the big city materialistic American mentality. That is, sex drugs and I'm gay everybody look at me. Seriously, who cares. I'm not gay and don't look at me. What pathetic values these people have. Expand
  14. Feb 9, 2014
    The series covers gay topics that are relevant, however the lack of direction is alarming... Also the editing is atrocious with very choppy scene changes and awkward stops. Cinematography is very dusky and gives a general depressed feeling to the show. There is a general lack of character development in the first few episodes that would help establish rapport with different tribes of theThe series covers gay topics that are relevant, however the lack of direction is alarming... Also the editing is atrocious with very choppy scene changes and awkward stops. Cinematography is very dusky and gives a general depressed feeling to the show. There is a general lack of character development in the first few episodes that would help establish rapport with different tribes of the gay community. The show lacks punch in really hitting home the themes it wants to establish, is it the growing geek/gaymer community, the bear community, the multi racial theme. Not that we want sex to drive every show, but it needs a bit of spit and polish to make this show shine. Youtube has better home made shows that would be a better use of bandwidth. Expand
  15. Apr 11, 2014
    this should not even be on hbo . its terrible, weird , distrubing . Burn in hell Creator Micheal Lannan . Grade F-......................................................................
  16. Feb 13, 2015
    Doesn't deliver. Boring,pointless,hollow. The characters are totally unlikeable and uninteresting.I mean-I'm gay man myself and I wouldn't spend 5 minutes of my real life on pathetic creatures like these so why would I ever watch show about them?Looking for penis would be more appropriate title.
  17. Mar 24, 2014
    This really captures a period of time in SF like nothing else on screen. Nothing hugely dramatic happens but it represents life and looking for love in a mostly realistic way. Look forward to next season. I do think this series would work a lot better as one hour episodes.
  18. May 28, 2014
    Naturalistically shot and authentic to the core, "Looking" is a decent show that does a good job presenting relatable relationships and believable life occurrences. Furthermore, the actors portray their roles with subtly and grace, specifically Jonathan Groff. While the slow pace may turn some individuals off, "Looking" is no doubt a provocative, authentic show that has a lot going for it.Naturalistically shot and authentic to the core, "Looking" is a decent show that does a good job presenting relatable relationships and believable life occurrences. Furthermore, the actors portray their roles with subtly and grace, specifically Jonathan Groff. While the slow pace may turn some individuals off, "Looking" is no doubt a provocative, authentic show that has a lot going for it. The best highlight is the actual city of San Francisco, I'm looking forward to visiting and potentially moving to that city soon. Expand
  19. Apr 26, 2014
    The first few episodes feel like not much is happening. Once you get past episode 3 it gets really interesting and riveting. Can't wait for season 2.
  20. Aug 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot of people compared this show to Girls which I agree wholeheartedly and even though the story is totally different from Girls, the stigma of it is still there.

The first episode of Looking is okay but by the time of the third episode, the show finally found its footing by setting up three arc stories on three main characters of the show.

The first of the three arcs of the show which involves Dom and his love interest Lynn is okay. Not quite outstanding and I thought it would have done better but I am interested to see how Dom and his love life goes.

The second of the three arcs which involves Agustín and his boyfriend Frank were the ones I get angry about. I dislike Agustin very much because of his whinny, douchebaggery attitude towards not only to his boyfriend but to also his friends, especially Patrick.

Speaking of Patrick, his third arc, which is the main focus of this show made me hooked. Patrick’s love triangle is something that we might not get a proper ending in just one season. I totally ship Kevin and Patrick together because they had great chemistry together but with Richie being promoted to one of the main characters of the show for the next season, it looks like the end of the love story of Patrick and Richie has yet to meet its closure.

The cast performances in this show were terrific. It made me forget that Jonathan Groff is playing a character in this show. Overall, the acting is better than Girls in my opinion.

I like how HBO finally has a show with gay men as the main characters but it’s so sad that the gay people in this show are portrayed stereotypically in some way. One thing that irked me is how Dom uses Grindr. Not all gay people use Grindr just like not all straight people use Tinder.

If I had to choose which one is better, Girls or Looking, I would choose Girls because the show spoke to me more than this show and Girls is just more realistic. But Looking is great in its own terms and I can’t wait to see the second season of this show.

Overall, this show had potential even though it feels like the gay version of Girls. I am hoping that the second season would be better.
  21. Jan 11, 2015
    I love watching this and seeing how good of a job the actors do and how well they pull it all of. Its authentic and genuine and beautiful and brings light to the gay community like Showtime did with The L Word and I hope to see this show continue on with more seasons
  22. Apr 22, 2015
    Us gays are normal people, we can love, we can do everything, and this serie show all this, mudering the prejudice.

lets try make them reconsider http://www.thepetitionsite.com/555/751/323/hbo-honor-our-stories-renew-looking-for-3rd-season/?hc_location=ufi

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Feb 7, 2014
    The one thing lacking is writing that goes beyond fondness into truly funny. [17 Feb 2014, p.45]
  2. Salon
    Reviewed by: Neil Drumming
    Feb 3, 2014
    Patrick is fidgety, disturbingly intense and possibly a bit snobbish to boot--not unwatchable, but, as yet, far from endearing. Fortunately, Looking has plenty else going for it.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jan 21, 2014
    Looking might be the most provocative series of 2014. It’s just not original or memorable.