• Network: TNT
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 13, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.3

1. Aug 14, 2012
    Major Crimes was a major disappointment for me. By retaining almost the entire cast of The Closer the show invites a comparison in which, in my opinion, it comes off as a pale imitation of the original. While Mary McDonnell is a fine actress her character is not likable and the manner in which she is installed as the head of Major Crimes made that situation even worse for me.

That same

That same situation and the events that it causes also made me dislike Assistant Chief Taylor even more that I did in the first few seasons of The Closer. The same was true of Chief Pope even though he did not appear on screen. While their actions can be attributed to political realities that fact does not make any of them more sympathetic to the audience.

Added to this is the addition of another cast member whose character is also made to be rather unlikable by the manner in which she gets her promotion to the squad.

For me all that Major Crimes accomplished was to make me miss The Closer. I will watch the second episode to give it a chance to change my mind but if it is more of the same I won't be watching the third. I do not enjoy watching shows when this many cast members are not likable.
  2. Sep 3, 2012
    Slow and boring. The old characters have been diluted and the new lead is weak. The Rusty story is improbable and irrelevant. Very little to hold my attention. I watched my last episode tonight.
  3. Aug 14, 2012
    The intensity of Brenda's character coupled with the fast pace of the plot made The Closer highly successful. And since the debut of Major Crimes was intentionally billed as a hand-off, it failed. It promised something but did not deliver and the failure is due to the slow-paced, deliberate style of Major Raydor whose personality suits a support character--and fails as the pivotal lead.The intensity of Brenda's character coupled with the fast pace of the plot made The Closer highly successful. And since the debut of Major Crimes was intentionally billed as a hand-off, it failed. It promised something but did not deliver and the failure is due to the slow-paced, deliberate style of Major Raydor whose personality suits a support character--and fails as the pivotal lead. Provenza's character is groping for some strength, but it's not clear he will deliver. And if the excitement is around plea bargaining--which is what is suggested--then this series will focus on arrogant lawyers glaring across a table and not the kick-ass smarts of a great detective. It's a recipe for boring. Expand
  4. Feb 6, 2014
    Could be a great show,but for Mary McDonnell.I find she is so wooden,and shows no facial expressions. She always seems to be reading off a cue card,and badly.

1. Reviewed by: Gail Pennington
    Aug 27, 2012
    If you were a "Closer" fan, I'd like to make a case for giving her a chance, because otherwise, Major Crimes is a winner.
  2. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Aug 13, 2012
    Will the writing of the crimes continue to be as strong as it was on "The Closer"? I'm cautiously optimistic.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Aug 13, 2012
    The first two cases, involving a gang of murderous thieves and the death of a personal trainer, are ho-hum. McDonnell, a fine actress, finally has a chance to inject some dry wit into her stoic investigator.