• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
6.3

1. Feb 5, 2014
    Good pilot, first episodes a little weak, but from the sixth/seventh episode onwards was a revelation and now it keeps getting better and better! Characters are becoming very interesting too.
  2. Feb 8, 2014
    The show is engaging and taking real time to develop new characters. There are plots and twists around every bend as is pretty typical of a Joss Whedon vehicle. Currently, they've really tightened up the story arc while not laying all the cards on the table. I love Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and eagerly wait for Tuesdays, despairing of the long breaks between critical episodes.

Those folks who want more superheroes obviously can't read a synopsis since this show is about the regular people who exist in the background as personified by Agent Coulson. It's taken time for me to grow to love all the team, but I have and I don't miss the Avengers one bit. I wanted a show about the behind the scenes, about the lives of agents, and that's what we're getting.
  3. Mar 7, 2014
    I made it through 3 or 4 episodes before giving up on this show. Bad acting, dull characters, boring storylines, awful special effects. All I could think was "Why bother?" for everyone involved.
  4. Apr 19, 2014
    A very good show. It started off very well, but I lost interest about half way through because the story didn't seem to be going anywhere. Towards the end it gets much better with more plot twists, character development, and connections to the MARVEL movies. It's filled with action and drama.
  5. Apr 23, 2014
    I am always a little skeptical when watching any show Joss Whedon has anything to do with. Let's just say I didn't like Buffy the Vampire Slayer much. That aside, I enjoyed the premiere but was disappointed by the overall story arc up until the 2 episodes before Winter Soldier came out. The characters are becoming more defined and the actors look much more comfortable with their roles. Now, the show looks like it's firing on all cylinders. Full speed ahead! Expand
  6. Apr 27, 2014
    Whatever you do, do not judge this show by the first few episodes. I did, and found later that was a grave mistake. The first eight or so episodes are slow, and feel unimportant in comparison to the larger scale of the movies this show shares a universe with. However, it was in the season's mid-section things started to greatly improve. Of course, Agent Coulson is a major draw, but at first glance, the other characters seem bland with cookie-cutter love triangles surrounding them. However, it was around the ninth or so episode that it started to truly show progress. Not only was it getting more exciting, but it also began to focus more on the real reason we all started watching this show: Marvel, and Coulson. Coulson's character becomes more fleshed out, and the mystery of his death and resurrection become increasingly more interesting with every reveal. Not only that, but more and more characters from the comics begin to appear, such as Victoria Hand and Lorelei, character who, while important, wouldn't necessarily get their own movies. Not only that, but several villains from the comics get their origin stories and begin to make appearances, along with characters from the movies like Sif and Jasper Sitwell. The characters we know become far more interesting as time goes on, from the ones who appear bland to the ones you already have started to like. As for those filler episodes at the beginning, focusing on a rather boring story macguffins, all of them turned out to be leading to a fascinating end game as the season went on. As for how it ties into the movies, the shows Thor: The Dark World tie-in felt like it didn't really tie in. Just mentions of Asgard and the title character were pretty disappointing, but what was surprising was the way it handled the tie-in to Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It was outstandingly well done, and really felt like the two had an impact on each other. It wasn't just a one off tie-in either. The events of the film have had major repercussions for the TV show, leading to an entire overhaul of the plotline, including some surprisingly unexpected plot twists that this show used brilliantly. Without spoiling either the show or the movie, let's just say that it truly makes this show feel like it belongs in the universe, standing proudly on its own two feet, without a need for random references to the Stark Tower of Thor. What is the moral of this story? Give this show a chance. If you have the opportunity to binge watch every episode, go for it. By the time you are caught up, you may find it was some time well spent in a universe as big as its comic book predecessors. Expand
  7. May 1, 2014
    I think everyone who's written a negative review stopped watching after the 2nd episode. (Like I did before I binge watched the rest of the episodes purely out of boredom.)

This is one of those shows that got surprisingly better over the course of the season. The plot is pretty amazing and well thought out. (I just wish that they would have gotten to it sooner than episode 4 like they
    did.) The tie-ins to the (Disney) Marvel cinematic universe is just pure awesomeness and I can see the potential of each season making a reference to the goings on in said universe.

I'm only giving this show a 10 because I don't feel that the User Score of 6.2 is justified with this show. I will be sad if abc cancels because they failed miserably on the first two episodes.

For those of you that stopped watching after the first few episodes, I implore you to get caught up. You will not be disappointed.
  8. May 13, 2014
    Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - It started slow and for a time, I drifted away from it. But as I caught back up with the show, I was slowly but surely being attracted to it. It has been getting better and better ever since. I look forward to the season finale and season two.
  9. May 26, 2014
    I had little interest in watching this show but stuck it out to watch it and i am never going to get those hours back! Crap dialogue, extremely repetitive and just plain boring. It had all the potential to be great but just never went anywhere. most people i know who watch it just say "omg, its awesome!". but when i ask why its awesome, nothing comes to mind so its like they see its by Marvel and just assume its awesome, its like they watch it and minor action turns into a Michael Bay action sequence... Its utter nonsense and should not be watched and renewed... my advise is to stop watching this crap and watch other shows that take a nice large crap on this one. Expand
  10. May 28, 2014
    The first season was anything but predictable. SHIELD has great tie-ins with The Avengers for the comic book geeks, technology and gadgets for the 007 crowd, and great twists to keep everyone else wanting more. The main characters are a bit too defined by archetypal roles, but not so much as to get in the way of good television.
  11. Dec 27, 2013
    So Agent Coulson's day job is palling around with a Scooby gang of inexperienced twenty somethings? Seriously? After building up the Marvel universe to an epic scale in the movies, they've diminished the hell out of it with this series. We could've maybe had an ACTUAL Whedon series instead of this thing. With actual characters, humor and edge. But idiots would rather watch this bland crap than Firefly, Angel, or-- pick your own Whedon IP that ended before its time. They were all better.
    This is why we can't have nice things.
  12. Oct 2, 2014
    The first few episodes made me want to give this series a lower score. The actors are pretty decent, but it seems as though the writers of the show were continually struggling to find something interesting to bring to the audience. As the end result, they seemed to pull a lot of cliched ideas, and tossed in some cameos when it didn't seem all that appropriate. Don't get me wrong though, its not as though the first few episodes were bad (heck, I found them plenty more interesting than the Walking Dead series), but they were certainly far from standing up to the big marvel movies.

The second half of the season made me increase the score. The episodes were deep with story and plot, blended fairly well with the movies, jammed packed with action, and the characters developed further. It kept my interest, and allowed me to be continue watching.

I think a lot of the disappointment that comes with the show is that it is a shadow of what the movies are. The show isn't really about superheroes. It's about ordinary people (granted, with some high tech gadgets) living in a world of superheroes. This makes story writing a challenge, and would probably explain why the first few episodes seemed a bit bland. Yeah, there are a lot of cheesy parts in the series, but there are also a lot of wittier parts as well with some well thought out ideas.

Oh and Phil Coulson has to be the most badass smiley guy in a suit in television/movie history. The show isn't for everyone, but I think it's entertaining enough if you give it the chance.
  13. Oct 14, 2013
    Stereotypical characters (stoic squared-jawed hero, geeky english tech people, improbably hot hacker babe with a past, etc), predcitable plots, cheesy dialogue. A handful of high-school kids flying around in their special plane. Loads of tech and resources available to them but every mission ends up with the same few people having to do all the work (even the boss gets roped in). Loads of references to events that took place in the Avengers assemble film, and every time it gets talked about by the characters you'd rather just be watching the film again.

No super-heroes anywhere.
  14. Sep 23, 2014
    After a full season, I believed I had given Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D enough of a chance. I am a fan of the comics and the movies, but Marvel let me down on this show. After watching the new season's premier, I can say for sure that I'm not sold on it and will stop watching. The DC shows are looking to be building up to more. My primary complaints on SHIELD are the poor acting, the slow story, the editing and just the script in general. It's underwhelming, especially when compared to the Marvel film universe. I like how they tied the plot into Captain America 2 a bit. Expand
  15. Dec 10, 2013
    The pilot was exciting, fun, and really got me interested. I'm a fan of Marvel comics, Marvel movies, and good TV. Unfortunately after the pilot this stopped being good TV. There are moments of goodness, but they are very few and far between. Meanwhile the actors seem hand-selected purely on looks (I like the scientists the soldiers are about as boring as they come). There are allusions to superheroics going on elsewhere, but the audience is never really let in on it they are merely tie-ins to movies. Which leaves a sub-par spy show with average-at-best special effects and action sequences, barely passable dialogue, and mediocre acting. There's very little investment in character, and although the show never strives to take itself seriously, its balancing act between comedy and action is a bit tenuous. I actually stopped watching after the fifth show, which is saying a lot given my Marvel/superhero fanboy status. This show isn't terrible, but it's not very good, and given how much it must cost to produce, I don't see it lasting beyond a season, two tops. Expand
  16. May 17, 2014
    This show is a cheap way to capitalize on The Avengers. All the positive reviews came after the pilot, which I'll admit was pretty good, but the show slowly got worse and worse until it ended up being like Lost, too drawn out and boring, and I'm just talking about season 1.
  17. Feb 17, 2014
    Probably one of the worst pilots since i bothered to sit down and watch Future Diary, 3/10 **** **** id recommend watching another tv show Superhero related for example the Arrow, better characters and a deeper story line
  18. Feb 4, 2014
    It started out a little weak but more than made up for it in later episodes. Plot is gripping with plot twists in every episode. Characters early in the season were a bit weak, but have grown on me since. And the humor helps lighten the mood. All around one of the best TV shows I've seen.
  19. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really hope that the pilot episode is not a sign of things to come. I found it relied too heavily on links to the Marvel Phase One group of movies via references and even plot elements like Extremis (personally I did not want to be so blatantly reminded of Iron Man 3). I did not like the computer hacker character Skye very much, as she seems to be a Mary Sue, although that could be remedied with character development and better writing down the road, so I'm not going to write her off just yet. The character played by J. August Richards, an out-of-work factory worker and single father, unfairly fired by his greedy, evil employers could not have had a more trite background if they'd tried to give him one; he ends up being an angry black man (never a good cliche) who signs up to be a guinea pig for medical experiments being conducted by some shadowy organization (probably A.I.M. or maybe Hydra), whose anger threatens to cause him to explode... literally. There's definitely room for improvement, and I hope this show does. It has the potential to remind fans of the better Marvel superhero movies rather than the middling ones (like Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor). Expand
  20. Oct 7, 2013
    After watch the first episode I'm split opinion.
    Visually and technically, you can not complain but the actors are poorly chosen.
    They show a good performance but you will not have access to the people. They all lead to superficial and are treated just uninteresting. the figure a Walter White from "Breaking Bad" or Clark Kent from "Smallville" were much better reception.
  21. Nov 30, 2013
    An enjoyable show but so far it seems too procedural to me. If you're missing an episode usually you don't miss much. Sure there are signs that there's something bigger going on but most episodes don't relate to that storyline. If Agents of Shield wants to keep its ratings on a decent level then I think it needs to rely less on standalone-episodes. There would be a lot potential here. And maybe put conflicts between the main characters more in the center. Expand
  22. Nov 11, 2013
    I have to say I am disappointed. I love the Avengers line of Marvel movies and about everything Joss Whedon has done, but this is crap. I have watched five episodes and each is more boring than the last. The acting is... bad, very bad... terrible. I hope I really hope this show doesn't make it past 12 episodes because if it makes it past firefly I will not be happy.
  23. Oct 22, 2013
    This show would have greatly benefited from taking place before the events of the first Iron Man movie. Then you wouldn't have to explain how Coulson survived Loki killing him in The Avengers, and could have served as an origin story for how S.H.I.E.L.D. came to be, or at least how Coulson came to join them. As it stands, it's pretty awful. Coulson was comic relief in the movies, and that served a good purpose, but that can't carry an hour-long series. The show lost me from the beginning, when I was asked to believe an incredibly beautiful woman lives in her van. It suffer from the "Lost" syndrome of having everybody on it being unbelievably attractive. It's a distraction. I'm not sure who the audience is supposed to be. Are they aiming for kids? Because it's just too silly for anyone above a certain age to be able to take it seriously. Expand
  24. Jun 10, 2014
    Horrible writing, nearly at the point of being unwatchable. This is the primary reason why I have kept away from watching shows on major cable networks. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD is a lackluster mess.
  25. Nov 25, 2013
    A good show. But it has some missteps. And that's coming from a guy who has only seen 3 episodes. I didn't see the first 6 or so. I'll catch up later.
  26. Nov 10, 2013
    The only thing worse than the boring story line is the sub-par acting from most of the cast. Picking up dog in the yard is more exciting than this show so far.
  27. Nov 13, 2013
    Another sad example of lazy writers that rely on soap opera angst and "kids are smarter than adults" in their attempt to hold the interest of a late prime-time demographic.

Should be a smash on Saturday morning.

Only good thing about this show is the cut Stan Lee gets (while holding his nose).
  28. Nov 14, 2013
    The show is watchable but really this is below expectations by far. The cast is okay though I would say it is not their performance but writing and story which is fairly poor.
  29. Nov 19, 2013
    I had such high hopes for this show, but all it does is disappoint. Coulson is interesting enough, but the rest of the cast is terribly bland and obnoxious, and everything they do feels boring and inconsequential. It feels like Marvel crossed with NCIS, but minus all the cool fight scenes or any of the great super heroes that make Marvel... Marvel. SHIELD in the comics rely on super heroes, even if they are their own organization, and this just showed how strained the story is when you replace rich, fleshed out characters with bland stereotypes without any real, multifaceted personalities. Expand
  30. Nov 20, 2013
    The GOOD: a very likable cast. The BAD: the writing is very lame.

Imagine taking an ensemble drama loaded with quirky characters, in the style of, say, STAR TREK: TNG or NCIS, and then remove all interesting elements. Then make each episode have the exact same storyline as all the others. Do all this and you'll have "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.". But there is one thing to greatly
    appreciate: Clark Gregg and his fellow actors are making the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents feel like family, a quality reminiscent of Marvel's classic comics from the 1960's thru '80's, where the Fantastic Four is a nuclear family, the X-Men an extended family, and the Avengers that exclusive clique you always wanted to join in high school (not to mention Peter Parker, the amazing Spider-Man, who's either your best pal or soul mate). But, in the comic books, characters were always interacting with the real world, with substantial human drama occurring in the background. Our S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, perhaps by the nature of their jobs, are too isolated. There's no reason why TV viewers would relate to these characters or even find them sympathetic. Even S.H.I.E.L.D 's mission doesn't seem clear. Why should I care what the agents do? Worse, the scripts have no originality. I expected writing inspired by the best travel blogs, science fiction and social observations. I wanted a blend of genres, and a wit with good eyes for style and detail. But the cinematography greatly disappoints. It's all action, punching and fighting. I never feel transported to any new and magical world. And there is never any sense of rediscovery. "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." ultimately seems a marketing ploy meant to sell movies and toys, with not much thought put into the crafting of an art.

(But don't claim this is a show written with children in mind. There are boudoir-type elements that should have any parent reaching for the OFF switch!)

Eight episodes in and I'm bored. S.H.I.E.L.D. is now removed from my DVR list. Since I haven't seen any of the big Marvel blockbuster movies during the past 20 years, perhaps my judgment shouldn't influence others. I'm hoping some people will remain faithful to this show and become greatly rewarded for their patience. But I'm certain Marvel fans deserve far better (as do Gregg and company). Hire some talented writers, camera people and set designers!
  31. Nov 28, 2013
    The series has a great potential which has been not unveiled yet.
    I think the story and the dialogs should be more lively and less theatrical.
    Also the action and the storyline should be more intense and complex.
    Seems like I am watching a teen series. Please Mr Whedon, make the series more like Firefly and less like Buffy!
  32. Dec 13, 2013
    Horribly boring characters, made worse by wooden actors from Clark Gregg down to Brett Dalton. It's really disappointing that ABC/Marvel think they can slap their name on a mediocre product and expect people to stick around. The direction is laughable; poor lighting, unimaginative action sets and general laziness set this series back. From pilot to midseason finale, the writers have given little reason to care about any of these characters. Skye is a bad joke of archetypes the hot rebel hacker that bangs marks by day, cute sad orphan girl by night. Giving characters like Coulson, May and Ward "dark pasts" doesn't inherently make them interesting... you still have to work to build their characters and explore what's beneath the surface. There is none of that. Gregg is simply a poor actor and it is abundantly clear that Marvel wanted to tap into the success of the Avengers by resurrecting its least important character and trying to build a show around him. Expand
  33. Dec 22, 2013
    Add in mentions of Marvel's beloved world into your typical weekly TV show, and you have a gist of what this series is like. While not exactly cerebral or witty, it's alright for your background entertainment you don't really need to pay attention to know what happened/will happen. I just feel a bit disappointed that what could have potentially been a very interesting perspective of this universe has turned into yet another flat storyline I'm someone in between the general categories of fanboy and casual viewer, but sentiment garnered from this franchise's predecessing flicks can only stretch so far, and the more I watch, the thinner the veneer of interest in this particular addendum to the franchise. Expand
  34. Mar 29, 2014
    The cast may be ever so slightly inadequate and the plotting seems confused (like it can't decide what it is) and melodramatic. Yet, it's complaisant viewing and it has an undeniably sweet feel about it, as it really is just convivial fun perfect for a family viewing, since it has eye candy, inconsequential violence, stomach-clenching action and a witty script.
  35. Apr 20, 2014
    Pure mediocrity. It doesn't have the cleverness that it would if Joss Whedon were involved in it rather than just overseeing it. Coulson continues to be what one would expect from the movie, but the light-skinned and somber supporting cast are largely a set of wasted opportunities, save for breakout star Chloe Benet. She has a sort of Starbuck quality (for Battlestar Galactica fans) where her character is unlikable, yet relatable and demanding of attention. She also has approximately the ideal female body, which sure helps the show's boring moments go over.

It's inherent to the show that they can't use the really big stars from the numerous Marvel movies, but the plots they've come up with thusfar aren't entertaining. SHIELD is a boring organization that seems obsessed with shooting itself in the foot, while the bad guys are occasionally more interesting but aren't really bad enough. Coulson's dubious resurrection storyline doesn't generate much intrigue. The frequent technology gags often fall flat.

The production values just can't compete with feature films. The high point is the music by Bear McCreary, with an endearing theme and better big orchestral cues than many of the features.

I keep watching it thinking it'll go somewhere, but that seems less and less likely. The show did take a new direction with the release of the Captain America movie, having added a new layer of intrigue and deception, but the problem is that all the stuff above is still true. The characters still aren't that interesting and the show hasn't come together as a whole. Not moving the rating.
  36. Mar 19, 2014
    I was really enjoying the entire series but now after watching "Yes Men", I am going to have to stop. Why do the producers of this show have to bring in a highly suggestive torrid sex scene to the show. You really don't need it and all you are doing is alienating families and their children from watching the show.
    God forbid that marvel starts incorporating this crap into their movies
    as well. I just don't understand why Marvel feels the need to bring this particular genre into their shows all of a sudden ! Expand
  37. May 11, 2014
    I love this show because it is FUN: Action, suspense, relationship development, clever writing, humor, lovable and engaging characters. Greatly amusing from the very start. I can't wait to see it every week!
  38. Jun 9, 2014
    Set in the Marvel universe, Agents of SHIELD is a fun science-fiction spy series featuring plenty of likeable and interesting characters. Chloe Bennet's Skye in particular is a engaging character, as is Coulson; both who have a great sense of mystery centered around them. Another character that shines is Elizabeth Henstridge's Simmons; a geeky scientist who either has met the Doctor from Doctor Who or is a Whovian.

The writing is strong throughout, which is hardly surprising judging by The Avengers. Everything about the show, in fact, is strong. Apart from one thing: Lola.

Coulson's flying car is rarely used and comes across as a wasted plot device. What's the point in it being there if it serves little purpose in the series? It's largely unnecessary and should either be used more or dropped from the show.
  39. Aug 4, 2014
    A fun Action packed marvel tv show that balances action humor and drama. Agents of Sheild is not perfect but it is a fun watchable TV show.

my ratting 7.2/10
  40. Aug 12, 2014
    I feel very sad for Joss Whedon, who seems now to care more about buying a few more villas in the south of France than leaving a legacy of good shows. The series is so riddled with clichés and tropes that it looks like a 1990's twin brother of The New Adventures of Superman. The plot is extremely predictable. Episode three: Oh I'm a hacker working for SHIELD, but in this episode I pretend that I am back to my rebellious past for the bad guy and the audience. Oh lol 5 minutes after I reveal that I didnt change after all and I was just luring the bad guy! And it goes on for the rest of the season... The underpinning ideology is quite horrifying: I'm an Anonymous member who turns cloak to work for the NSA, because they are a FAMILY! Common, these NSA guys only want to do good after all, they're nice people deep down and just want to protect you by hiding things and possibly killing people.
    After a bland plot, blend characters. Couldn't they find better actors? I dont know how these guys got their job but it surely wasn't through auditions. The two-headed scientist team is quite a good comic relief, they are very smart scientists so obviously they have British accents. I like British accents. The big boy action man is a bland as.. well I cant find an analogy. And the hacker girl, oh my.. I can tell you that hackers very rarely takes their time every morning to straighten their hair, buy top of fashion clothes every month, or try to be a clone of Jessica Alba. The whole cast is actually so well dressed and so attractive that it seems they were being shot for the new Vogue and ended up on the wrong set. Seems like being a secret agent in this universe requires perfect facial traits, and a heightened sense of fashion.
    Bland scenario, bland actors, cringy clichés, this is almost an insult to the self-conscious viewer and the Joss Whedon fan in particular.The only remains of the Whedon spirit are witty jokes here and there. Waste your time with it only if you're home with the flu and want to watch a cheesy show.
  41. Sep 26, 2014
    I will let the rating speak for itself. AWESOME! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gregg has a deadpan ease that makes the engine purr. And his team is good-looking and stamped with just enough personality and humor: Without killing the fun, they ground the show. [14 Oct 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Greenfield
    Oct 3, 2013
    The show has a sound concept.... But the script, by Joss, Jed and Tancharoen, with Joss directing, is a mite too pleased with itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    There’s actually not a single weak link in the cast. The weakness of the premiere comes down to plotting. There’s a slightly melodramatic arc involving a commentary on the current economic state of the country.