• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
6.3

1. Oct 2, 2014
    The first few episodes made me want to give this series a lower score. The actors are pretty decent, but it seems as though the writers of the show were continually struggling to find something interesting to bring to the audience. As the end result, they seemed to pull a lot of cliched ideas, and tossed in some cameos when it didn't seem all that appropriate. Don't get me wrong though, its not as though the first few episodes were bad (heck, I found them plenty more interesting than the Walking Dead series), but they were certainly far from standing up to the big marvel movies.

The second half of the season made me increase the score. The episodes were deep with story and plot, blended fairly well with the movies, jammed packed with action, and the characters developed further. It kept my interest, and allowed me to be continue watching.

I think a lot of the disappointment that comes with the show is that it is a shadow of what the movies are. The show isn't really about superheroes. It's about ordinary people (granted, with some high tech gadgets) living in a world of superheroes. This makes story writing a challenge, and would probably explain why the first few episodes seemed a bit bland. Yeah, there are a lot of cheesy parts in the series, but there are also a lot of wittier parts as well with some well thought out ideas.

Oh and Phil Coulson has to be the most badass smiley guy in a suit in television/movie history. The show isn't for everyone, but I think it's entertaining enough if you give it the chance.
  2. Sep 26, 2014
    I will let the rating speak for itself. AWESOME! Expand
  3. Sep 23, 2014
    After a full season, I believed I had given Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D enough of a chance. I am a fan of the comics and the movies, but Marvel let me down on this show. After watching the new season's premier, I can say for sure that I'm not sold on it and will stop watching. The DC shows are looking to be building up to more. My primary complaints on SHIELD are the poor acting, the slow story, the editing and just the script in general. It's underwhelming, especially when compared to the Marvel film universe. I like how they tied the plot into Captain America 2 a bit. Expand
  4. Aug 12, 2014
    I feel very sad for Joss Whedon, who seems now to care more about buying a few more villas in the south of France than leaving a legacy of good shows. The series is so riddled with clichés and tropes that it looks like a 1990's twin brother of The New Adventures of Superman. The plot is extremely predictable. Episode three: Oh I'm a hacker working for SHIELD, but in this episode I pretend that I am back to my rebellious past for the bad guy and the audience. Oh lol 5 minutes after I reveal that I didnt change after all and I was just luring the bad guy! And it goes on for the rest of the season... The underpinning ideology is quite horrifying: I'm an Anonymous member who turns cloak to work for the NSA, because they are a FAMILY! Common, these NSA guys only want to do good after all, they're nice people deep down and just want to protect you by hiding things and possibly killing people.
    After a bland plot, blend characters. Couldn't they find better actors? I dont know how these guys got their job but it surely wasn't through auditions. The two-headed scientist team is quite a good comic relief, they are very smart scientists so obviously they have British accents. I like British accents. The big boy action man is a bland as.. well I cant find an analogy. And the hacker girl, oh my.. I can tell you that hackers very rarely takes their time every morning to straighten their hair, buy top of fashion clothes every month, or try to be a clone of Jessica Alba. The whole cast is actually so well dressed and so attractive that it seems they were being shot for the new Vogue and ended up on the wrong set. Seems like being a secret agent in this universe requires perfect facial traits, and a heightened sense of fashion.
    Bland scenario, bland actors, cringy clichés, this is almost an insult to the self-conscious viewer and the Joss Whedon fan in particular.The only remains of the Whedon spirit are witty jokes here and there. Waste your time with it only if you're home with the flu and want to watch a cheesy show.
  5. Aug 4, 2014
    A fun Action packed marvel tv show that balances action humor and drama. Agents of Sheild is not perfect but it is a fun watchable TV show.

my ratting 7.2/10
  6. Jun 10, 2014
    Horrible writing, nearly at the point of being unwatchable. This is the primary reason why I have kept away from watching shows on major cable networks. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD is a lackluster mess.
  7. Jun 9, 2014
    Set in the Marvel universe, Agents of SHIELD is a fun science-fiction spy series featuring plenty of likeable and interesting characters. Chloe Bennet's Skye in particular is a engaging character, as is Coulson; both who have a great sense of mystery centered around them. Another character that shines is Elizabeth Henstridge's Simmons; a geeky scientist who either has met the Doctor from Doctor Who or is a Whovian.

The writing is strong throughout, which is hardly surprising judging by The Avengers. Everything about the show, in fact, is strong. Apart from one thing: Lola.

Coulson's flying car is rarely used and comes across as a wasted plot device. What's the point in it being there if it serves little purpose in the series? It's largely unnecessary and should either be used more or dropped from the show.
  8. May 28, 2014
    The first season was anything but predictable. SHIELD has great tie-ins with The Avengers for the comic book geeks, technology and gadgets for the 007 crowd, and great twists to keep everyone else wanting more. The main characters are a bit too defined by archetypal roles, but not so much as to get in the way of good television.
  9. May 26, 2014
    I had little interest in watching this show but stuck it out to watch it and i am never going to get those hours back! Crap dialogue, extremely repetitive and just plain boring. It had all the potential to be great but just never went anywhere. most people i know who watch it just say "omg, its awesome!". but when i ask why its awesome, nothing comes to mind so its like they see its by Marvel and just assume its awesome, its like they watch it and minor action turns into a Michael Bay action sequence... Its utter nonsense and should not be watched and renewed... my advise is to stop watching this crap and watch other shows that take a nice large crap on this one. Expand
  10. May 17, 2014
    Agents of SHIELD has an interesting Pilot, then a lot of disappointing episodes, and then once the Hydra reveal happened after Captain America 2 came out the show started to pick back up, and the season ended on a high note. I think this show can absolutely go in interesting directions in Season 2.
  11. May 17, 2014
    This show is a cheap way to capitalize on The Avengers. All the positive reviews came after the pilot, which I'll admit was pretty good, but the show slowly got worse and worse until it ended up being like Lost, too drawn out and boring, and I'm just talking about season 1.
  12. May 14, 2014
    It took a while to get off the ground. The first half of the season was very hit and miss but the second half was very good. It still isn't the best show in the world, but the Captain America crossover during the season's second half brought a lot to the show. It's worth watching if you can get past the first ten so-so episodes.
  13. May 13, 2014
    Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - It started slow and for a time, I drifted away from it. But as I caught back up with the show, I was slowly but surely being attracted to it. It has been getting better and better ever since. I look forward to the season finale and season two.
  14. May 11, 2014
    I love this show because it is FUN: Action, suspense, relationship development, clever writing, humor, lovable and engaging characters. Greatly amusing from the very start. I can't wait to see it every week!
  15. May 2, 2014
    It is almost the end of the season and I am very addicted. Joss and Marvel are a great combination!

What is funny is I looked at the bad reviews for this season and pretty much all are in Sept / Oct. This is the classic curse of Joss. He spends the first several episodes establishing characters and giving them depth but most people don't want that, they was action action action. Well
    the patients for the die hard fans has paid off because the entire second half of the season is full of it. So many plot twists and "didn't see that coming" and "they did what?" going on it is great.

If you watched only the first few episodes, you owe it to yourself to try one of the more recent ones, you might be surprised at the results.
  16. May 1, 2014
    I think everyone who's written a negative review stopped watching after the 2nd episode. (Like I did before I binge watched the rest of the episodes purely out of boredom.)

This is one of those shows that got surprisingly better over the course of the season. The plot is pretty amazing and well thought out. (I just wish that they would have gotten to it sooner than episode 4 like they
    did.) The tie-ins to the (Disney) Marvel cinematic universe is just pure awesomeness and I can see the potential of each season making a reference to the goings on in said universe.

I'm only giving this show a 10 because I don't feel that the User Score of 6.2 is justified with this show. I will be sad if abc cancels because they failed miserably on the first two episodes.

For those of you that stopped watching after the first few episodes, I implore you to get caught up. You will not be disappointed.
  17. Apr 28, 2014
    I was one of many negative reviewers to begin with.. Sorry to say, and apologies to the people who star and make this show. The things that I complained about initially either grew on me or repaired themselves. In short watch this show past the first 5 or 6 episodes and you have something good on your hands. As for how "un-Marvel this show seems at first becomes very Marvel the more you watch it.
    I decided to give this show another chance after my friend carried on watching it where as I gave up in the first few episodes, and all she said was good things about it. Glad I listened.
    Lets hope us former "haters" haven't spoiled the chances for a season 2 and beyond.
  18. Apr 27, 2014
    Whatever you do, do not judge this show by the first few episodes. I did, and found later that was a grave mistake. The first eight or so episodes are slow, and feel unimportant in comparison to the larger scale of the movies this show shares a universe with. However, it was in the season's mid-section things started to greatly improve. Of course, Agent Coulson is a major draw, but at first glance, the other characters seem bland with cookie-cutter love triangles surrounding them. However, it was around the ninth or so episode that it started to truly show progress. Not only was it getting more exciting, but it also began to focus more on the real reason we all started watching this show: Marvel, and Coulson. Coulson's character becomes more fleshed out, and the mystery of his death and resurrection become increasingly more interesting with every reveal. Not only that, but more and more characters from the comics begin to appear, such as Victoria Hand and Lorelei, character who, while important, wouldn't necessarily get their own movies. Not only that, but several villains from the comics get their origin stories and begin to make appearances, along with characters from the movies like Sif and Jasper Sitwell. The characters we know become far more interesting as time goes on, from the ones who appear bland to the ones you already have started to like. As for those filler episodes at the beginning, focusing on a rather boring story macguffins, all of them turned out to be leading to a fascinating end game as the season went on. As for how it ties into the movies, the shows Thor: The Dark World tie-in felt like it didn't really tie in. Just mentions of Asgard and the title character were pretty disappointing, but what was surprising was the way it handled the tie-in to Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It was outstandingly well done, and really felt like the two had an impact on each other. It wasn't just a one off tie-in either. The events of the film have had major repercussions for the TV show, leading to an entire overhaul of the plotline, including some surprisingly unexpected plot twists that this show used brilliantly. Without spoiling either the show or the movie, let's just say that it truly makes this show feel like it belongs in the universe, standing proudly on its own two feet, without a need for random references to the Stark Tower of Thor. What is the moral of this story? Give this show a chance. If you have the opportunity to binge watch every episode, go for it. By the time you are caught up, you may find it was some time well spent in a universe as big as its comic book predecessors. Expand
  19. Apr 23, 2014
    I am always a little skeptical when watching any show Joss Whedon has anything to do with. Let's just say I didn't like Buffy the Vampire Slayer much. That aside, I enjoyed the premiere but was disappointed by the overall story arc up until the 2 episodes before Winter Soldier came out. The characters are becoming more defined and the actors look much more comfortable with their roles. Now, the show looks like it's firing on all cylinders. Full speed ahead! Expand
  20. Apr 20, 2014
    Pure mediocrity. It doesn't have the cleverness that it would if Joss Whedon were involved in it rather than just overseeing it. Coulson continues to be what one would expect from the movie, but the light-skinned and somber supporting cast are largely a set of wasted opportunities, save for breakout star Chloe Benet. She has a sort of Starbuck quality (for Battlestar Galactica fans) where her character is unlikable, yet relatable and demanding of attention. She also has approximately the ideal female body, which sure helps the show's boring moments go over.

It's inherent to the show that they can't use the really big stars from the numerous Marvel movies, but the plots they've come up with thusfar aren't entertaining. SHIELD is a boring organization that seems obsessed with shooting itself in the foot, while the bad guys are occasionally more interesting but aren't really bad enough. Coulson's dubious resurrection storyline doesn't generate much intrigue. The frequent technology gags often fall flat.

The production values just can't compete with feature films. The high point is the music by Bear McCreary, with an endearing theme and better big orchestral cues than many of the features.

I keep watching it thinking it'll go somewhere, but that seems less and less likely. The show did take a new direction with the release of the Captain America movie, having added a new layer of intrigue and deception, but the problem is that all the stuff above is still true. The characters still aren't that interesting and the show hasn't come together as a whole. Not moving the rating.
  21. Apr 20, 2014
    Now that it's broken free of its former episodic format and moved on to continuous story a la Lost, this show's gotten so much better. If you can make it past the first six or so episodes, you'll find a much better show than the one you began with.
  22. Apr 19, 2014
    A very good show. It started off very well, but I lost interest about half way through because the story didn't seem to be going anywhere. Towards the end it gets much better with more plot twists, character development, and connections to the MARVEL movies. It's filled with action and drama.
  23. Apr 15, 2014
    Being a huge fan of Marvel Movies how could I turn down a show named Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes and almost stopped watching it, but I'm glad I hung in there. Around the 5th and 6th episode it really started to pick up and hasn't disappointed. The show has been action packed with kick ass agents, powerful villains and weapons, also I'm glad the writers incorporated Asgardians in a few of their episodes and now Hydra characters (villains/agents). This show has definitely been worth the wait and the watch. Expand
  24. Apr 12, 2014
    I agree the show was real slow and very off topic on the first 10 episodes, but you always have to let a show pick up so it can get with the flow. To many people rated it badly off the bat because its not what they wanted it to be. When you give a new experimental show some time it will show its colors soon enough. After episode 10 the show really is making much more sense of things. and showing backgrounds into some of marvels other heroes and villains, like Deathlok. I find this as a great idea, like how justice league unlimited showed heroes that were never given a TV series. Expect a lot from this series, its Marvel you know. Expand
  25. Apr 3, 2014
    Marvel’s Agents of Shield is far from perfect. Many fans criticized the show for not being “Marvel” enough, however the show is slowly taking viewer’s advice. With Mike Peters becoming Deathlok; Agent Maria Hill, Nick Fury, and Lady Sif making appearances; Donnie Gill from episode 12 becoming a version of Blizzard; Bill Paxton becoming Agent John Garrett; the strange blue alien at the end of episode 14; and future tie-ins with Marvel movies (like Captain America: The Winter Soldier) the show is genuinely trying to improve. With each passing week, Agents of SHIELD. is becoming a more fully developed show; after many episodes it has finally managed to redeem itself. The show’s characters are generic, to say the least, but they have been changing for the better. I get that fans want to have more Marvel superheroes and stuff in the episodes, and I agree with that, but it’s a bit too much to ask for people like Robert Downey Jr and Scarlet Johansson to appear on the show. Another initial problem with SHIELD was that it had “case of the week”-like episodes. There was no overall story arc (a problem Fox’s Almost Human faced). Now though, there is Centipede and the Clairvoyant.

I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubts when I watched the first episode, I think this show is good now and I now highly recommend it. I think it's better than The Avengers and the show has potential. My only major complaint is that it’s too unrealistic at times, like with the little robots and the flying car at the end of episode one, unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is grounded in reality (for the most part). I also like the plot twists in the episodes and the premises. I think they should merge the Marvel One-Shot "Item 47" with this; that would be cool.
    I personally always liked the show, despite all its faults. I think a big problem was that some people had really high expectations for this show, and those high expectations weren’t met. I get that, because I had high expectations for The Avengers and Iron Man 3, and I was disappointed when they weren’t met. High expectations can ruin otherwise great films/TV shows, so I recommend that if you don’t already—don’t expect too much from this show. If you liked this review, read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies and TV shows by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts and I’d really appreciate it.
  26. Mar 29, 2014
    The cast may be ever so slightly inadequate and the plotting seems confused (like it can't decide what it is) and melodramatic. Yet, it's complaisant viewing and it has an undeniably sweet feel about it, as it really is just convivial fun perfect for a family viewing, since it has eye candy, inconsequential violence, stomach-clenching action and a witty script.
  27. Mar 24, 2014
    i think its good im enjoying every episode wishing they were longer everything is building up to like when they bring in the heroes and villains its clever funny love all the characters its a good show that doesnt have to have alot of action all the time
  28. Mar 19, 2014
    I was really enjoying the entire series but now after watching "Yes Men", I am going to have to stop. Why do the producers of this show have to bring in a highly suggestive torrid sex scene to the show. You really don't need it and all you are doing is alienating families and their children from watching the show.
    God forbid that marvel starts incorporating this crap into their movies
    as well. I just don't understand why Marvel feels the need to bring this particular genre into their shows all of a sudden ! Expand
  29. Mar 7, 2014
    I made it through 3 or 4 episodes before giving up on this show. Bad acting, dull characters, boring storylines, awful special effects. All I could think was "Why bother?" for everyone involved.
  30. Feb 17, 2014
    Probably one of the worst pilots since i bothered to sit down and watch Future Diary, 3/10 **** **** id recommend watching another tv show Superhero related for example the Arrow, better characters and a deeper story line
  31. Feb 8, 2014
    The show is engaging and taking real time to develop new characters. There are plots and twists around every bend as is pretty typical of a Joss Whedon vehicle. Currently, they've really tightened up the story arc while not laying all the cards on the table. I love Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and eagerly wait for Tuesdays, despairing of the long breaks between critical episodes.

Those folks who want more superheroes obviously can't read a synopsis since this show is about the regular people who exist in the background as personified by Agent Coulson. It's taken time for me to grow to love all the team, but I have and I don't miss the Avengers one bit. I wanted a show about the behind the scenes, about the lives of agents, and that's what we're getting.
  32. Feb 5, 2014
    Good pilot, first episodes a little weak, but from the sixth/seventh episode onwards was a revelation and now it keeps getting better and better! Characters are becoming very interesting too.
  33. Feb 4, 2014
    It started out a little weak but more than made up for it in later episodes. Plot is gripping with plot twists in every episode. Characters early in the season were a bit weak, but have grown on me since. And the humor helps lighten the mood. All around one of the best TV shows I've seen.
  34. Jan 22, 2014
    This is the kind of show that will continue to get better the longer it is on the air. More characters will get introduced. More in general will happen. Remember how the second X-Men, Spider-Man, and Thor movies were so much better than the first? That’s what will happen with the second season of MAOS.

It may not find it’s groove this season, but it will get there, and you’ll be glad
    you stuck with it. It would be a waste for this show to get cancelled before it reaches its potential.

Please don’t give up on it.
  35. Jan 15, 2014
    Thank God Joss Whedon has a show going again. Following his standard story arch, mid season of season 1 is when it gets interesting. After tonight my full confidence is behind the show.

If you're not familiar with Joss Whedon's work, give it a season and you will see what a master can do. I don't give praise lightly, and I can't give enough to Joss. Thank you for coming back to TV.
  36. Jan 15, 2014
    Show took time to build but it looks to be finding its footing after exploring all their characters and piecing each of them together. Story arcs are coming full circle and the show has become very intriguing. Understand what the writers are trying to do as they take time in developing their cast and making them shine when they ought to. The show runners know what they are doing and know where they are headed. This isn't some in your face show where everything is obvious and you just enjoy the ride. This is a well fleshed out story where different people are brought together and find that you can't always do things on your own. When times are tough, you have to lean on your allies. But that doesn't mean all of your allies are good. Expand
  37. Jan 14, 2014
    While my suspension of disbelief still struggles to accommodate secretive government agents as the good guys and likely always will, I do continue to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and enjoy it. But as the series progresses, the biggest flaw becomes more and more evident. The dialogue is so compressed, straightforward, and shoehorned in that it leaves no room for the viewer's imagination and intuition. As a result, scenes sometimes come across as a little insulting and very manipulative. However, the characters are still developing, so perhaps the dialogue will soon have room to slow down and smooth itself out, leaving room for both more of Whedon's trademark wit and for the intelligence of the viewer. Expand
  38. Dec 27, 2013
    So Agent Coulson's day job is palling around with a Scooby gang of inexperienced twenty somethings? Seriously? After building up the Marvel universe to an epic scale in the movies, they've diminished the hell out of it with this series. We could've maybe had an ACTUAL Whedon series instead of this thing. With actual characters, humor and edge. But idiots would rather watch this bland crap than Firefly, Angel, or-- pick your own Whedon IP that ended before its time. They were all better.
    This is why we can't have nice things.
  39. Dec 22, 2013
    Add in mentions of Marvel's beloved world into your typical weekly TV show, and you have a gist of what this series is like. While not exactly cerebral or witty, it's alright for your background entertainment you don't really need to pay attention to know what happened/will happen. I just feel a bit disappointed that what could have potentially been a very interesting perspective of this universe has turned into yet another flat storyline I'm someone in between the general categories of fanboy and casual viewer, but sentiment garnered from this franchise's predecessing flicks can only stretch so far, and the more I watch, the thinner the veneer of interest in this particular addendum to the franchise. Expand
  40. Dec 18, 2013
    I couldn't make it through the first episode. It's a shame because there is NOTHING on this time slot worth watching. I just turn off the tv until The Goldbergs come on after.
  41. Dec 13, 2013
    Horribly boring characters, made worse by wooden actors from Clark Gregg down to Brett Dalton. It's really disappointing that ABC/Marvel think they can slap their name on a mediocre product and expect people to stick around. The direction is laughable; poor lighting, unimaginative action sets and general laziness set this series back. From pilot to midseason finale, the writers have given little reason to care about any of these characters. Skye is a bad joke of archetypes the hot rebel hacker that bangs marks by day, cute sad orphan girl by night. Giving characters like Coulson, May and Ward "dark pasts" doesn't inherently make them interesting... you still have to work to build their characters and explore what's beneath the surface. There is none of that. Gregg is simply a poor actor and it is abundantly clear that Marvel wanted to tap into the success of the Avengers by resurrecting its least important character and trying to build a show around him. Expand
  42. Dec 11, 2013
    This show gets better the more I watch it. The stories often take unexpected turns, usually in a good and interesting way. It has variety of characters; it's nice that not everyone has the same personality. It has a lot of cliffhangers, which always makes me anxious to see the next episode.
  43. Dec 10, 2013
    The pilot was exciting, fun, and really got me interested. I'm a fan of Marvel comics, Marvel movies, and good TV. Unfortunately after the pilot this stopped being good TV. There are moments of goodness, but they are very few and far between. Meanwhile the actors seem hand-selected purely on looks (I like the scientists the soldiers are about as boring as they come). There are allusions to superheroics going on elsewhere, but the audience is never really let in on it they are merely tie-ins to movies. Which leaves a sub-par spy show with average-at-best special effects and action sequences, barely passable dialogue, and mediocre acting. There's very little investment in character, and although the show never strives to take itself seriously, its balancing act between comedy and action is a bit tenuous. I actually stopped watching after the fifth show, which is saying a lot given my Marvel/superhero fanboy status. This show isn't terrible, but it's not very good, and given how much it must cost to produce, I don't see it lasting beyond a season, two tops. Expand
  44. Dec 4, 2013
    Whilst the pilot was intriguing I found the first few episodes a little weak, however with each subsequent episode the show continues to improve and find it's feet. Do not expect the Avengers or you will be disappointed, but this show is one to watch.
  45. Nov 30, 2013
    An enjoyable show but so far it seems too procedural to me. If you're missing an episode usually you don't miss much. Sure there are signs that there's something bigger going on but most episodes don't relate to that storyline. If Agents of Shield wants to keep its ratings on a decent level then I think it needs to rely less on standalone-episodes. There would be a lot potential here. And maybe put conflicts between the main characters more in the center. Expand
  46. Nov 28, 2013
    The series has a great potential which has been not unveiled yet.
    I think the story and the dialogs should be more lively and less theatrical.
    Also the action and the storyline should be more intense and complex.
    Seems like I am watching a teen series. Please Mr Whedon, make the series more like Firefly and less like Buffy!
  47. Nov 26, 2013
    I began watching this with high hopes, which were met within the pilot, but as soon as the Marvel fan goggles wore off it turned into a poorly developed, over-acted catastrophe. The Main characters bicker like children (even in instances which are about the fate of the world), and S.H.I.E.L.D itself is incredibly lacklustre, not identifying themselves as a secret organisation but more of a new division within the NYPD. Expand
  48. Nov 25, 2013
    A good show. But it has some missteps. And that's coming from a guy who has only seen 3 episodes. I didn't see the first 6 or so. I'll catch up later.
  49. Nov 25, 2013
    There is not much more that I can say other than I love this show. The characters are very engaging and well portrayed. The dialogue is wonderful and very witty at times. The pace of the show is just right, keeping you engaged by stretching out the plot, but doesn't take too long on reveals. I really like that they cast such amazing actors, many of them little known rather than finding well known actors. It can make you laugh one minute and then have you crying the next.

It follows The Avengers very well, making sure the audience knows that it is included in the Marvel universe by references to the characters, as well as incorporating the events of Thor 2. If you loved any of the other movies in the franchise, or are a fan of Marvel then this is the show for you.

My final comment is that Joss Whedon is an amazing director, and I do believe that he has another hit with Agents of SHIELD. I just hope he doesn't kill anyone off too soon.
  50. Nov 22, 2013
    After a shaky start, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is finally hitting it's stride, with characters being fleshed out, and a run of good episodes. Stick through the first few episodes and you'll find this show rewarding, and I've a strong feeling its only going to get better.
  51. Nov 20, 2013
    The GOOD: a very likable cast. The BAD: the writing is very lame.

Imagine taking an ensemble drama loaded with quirky characters, in the style of, say, STAR TREK: TNG or NCIS, and then remove all interesting elements. Then make each episode have the exact same storyline as all the others. Do all this and you'll have "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.". But there is one thing to greatly
    appreciate: Clark Gregg and his fellow actors are making the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents feel like family, a quality reminiscent of Marvel's classic comics from the 1960's thru '80's, where the Fantastic Four is a nuclear family, the X-Men an extended family, and the Avengers that exclusive clique you always wanted to join in high school (not to mention Peter Parker, the amazing Spider-Man, who's either your best pal or soul mate). But, in the comic books, characters were always interacting with the real world, with substantial human drama occurring in the background. Our S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, perhaps by the nature of their jobs, are too isolated. There's no reason why TV viewers would relate to these characters or even find them sympathetic. Even S.H.I.E.L.D 's mission doesn't seem clear. Why should I care what the agents do? Worse, the scripts have no originality. I expected writing inspired by the best travel blogs, science fiction and social observations. I wanted a blend of genres, and a wit with good eyes for style and detail. But the cinematography greatly disappoints. It's all action, punching and fighting. I never feel transported to any new and magical world. And there is never any sense of rediscovery. "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." ultimately seems a marketing ploy meant to sell movies and toys, with not much thought put into the crafting of an art.

(But don't claim this is a show written with children in mind. There are boudoir-type elements that should have any parent reaching for the OFF switch!)

Eight episodes in and I'm bored. S.H.I.E.L.D. is now removed from my DVR list. Since I haven't seen any of the big Marvel blockbuster movies during the past 20 years, perhaps my judgment shouldn't influence others. I'm hoping some people will remain faithful to this show and become greatly rewarded for their patience. But I'm certain Marvel fans deserve far better (as do Gregg and company). Hire some talented writers, camera people and set designers!
  52. Nov 20, 2013
    When there's nary a negative critic review to be found and a significant number of people who really dislike the show, it's a pretty fair indicator that critic reviews are bought and paid for.
  53. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like Marvel's Agents of Shield, because it is very funny and it is filled with emotion and humor an action. I like the last few episodes but the beginning of the series wasn't the best but when I watch a few more episodes It is starting to get way better because the last few episodes had an action and agents they got more serious and it got a lot more cooler. They started to get in skies past and her parents Expand
  54. Nov 19, 2013
    I had such high hopes for this show, but all it does is disappoint. Coulson is interesting enough, but the rest of the cast is terribly bland and obnoxious, and everything they do feels boring and inconsequential. It feels like Marvel crossed with NCIS, but minus all the cool fight scenes or any of the great super heroes that make Marvel... Marvel. SHIELD in the comics rely on super heroes, even if they are their own organization, and this just showed how strained the story is when you replace rich, fleshed out characters with bland stereotypes without any real, multifaceted personalities. Expand
  55. Nov 17, 2013
    SHIELD is increasingly achieving what it is intended to do for its fan base.

It is delivering on both the graphic novel/comic book and long-arc plot genres. It has action, tech, emotions and romantic overtures that other programs can only hope for. It can appeal to a range of demographics. From a arc perspective, each week pulls back the curtain on tech gee wiz (the plane hover!),
    character back-story and undercurrents (internal SHIELD intrigue and villains).

Balance is difficult. Unfolding too fast and superficial would disappoint core fans hungering for depth. Too slow will make it more difficult to engage new-comers. Some criticize for insufficient tie from episode to episode. Yet, how many times have series failed by being so serialized, new-comers can't easily join in?

Stress is on the strengths. As the storyline unfolds it's generally getting better and planting seeds for a rich list of future episodes. While I have my favorite episodes (6 & 7 were especially strong in many ways compared to the pilot), mostly would be delighted to be a fly on the wall in the writing room to see the chemistry that produces the scripts and inspired the casting. Recall, it was the writing team and Clark Gregg that breathed life into Phil Coulson a character not in the the Marvel canon. That's a fan accomplishment.

Consider the business model. ABC's, really Disney's, commitment to the franchise and excellent track record in managing such franchises, gives SHIELD runway to unfold in this balanced way that could weave together the movies and games for years to come. Too many reviewers emphasize the number drop without realizing numbers are still respectable and the integrated business model might be quite respectable including the Verizon tag-on. SHIELD's demographics also are pleasing buyers for key advertisers.
  56. Nov 17, 2013
    I didn't even believe it at first that this was actually going to be on the TV. It just seemed too big for a TV show to cover. The superheroes, the superpowers, the complex universe, and to keep them all in continuum.

After seeing the pilot, I was a little bit uneasy because the series seemed to have a potential to be good but at the same time, the pilot just didn't really impress me as
    much as I had hoped it would. It was definitely a weak pilot. But I still gave more episodes a shot. And I guess now I have to come to a conclusion that the show is just not working. At least not for me. And if I had to say the one thing that ruins the show, it's the procedural style it's being made in. I have NCIS and The Blacklist for that. Expand
  57. Nov 14, 2013
    The show is watchable but really this is below expectations by far. The cast is okay though I would say it is not their performance but writing and story which is fairly poor.
  58. Nov 13, 2013
    Just bear through the first episode and you'll thank yourself once you watch the second. I love Fitz-Simmons. They are my favorite because of the inside jokes and witty, genius-science remarks they make. The most recent episodes have been incredible so far. The earlier episodes, not so much. I gave this a 10 not because it's an amazing tv show, but because I didn't believe it would turn into something this good. Joss Whedon is by far my favorite writer ever. Expand
  59. Nov 13, 2013
    Another sad example of lazy writers that rely on soap opera angst and "kids are smarter than adults" in their attempt to hold the interest of a late prime-time demographic.

Should be a smash on Saturday morning.

Only good thing about this show is the cut Stan Lee gets (while holding his nose).
  60. Nov 13, 2013
    While the show's premise isn't what everyone is expecting and its slow development in its first few episodes, the show gets interesting week by week and the viewers just needs to be patient and realize that this show is about S.H.I.E.L.D. itself, not The Avengers.
  61. Nov 11, 2013
    I have to say I am disappointed. I love the Avengers line of Marvel movies and about everything Joss Whedon has done, but this is crap. I have watched five episodes and each is more boring than the last. The acting is... bad, very bad... terrible. I hope I really hope this show doesn't make it past 12 episodes because if it makes it past firefly I will not be happy.
  62. Nov 10, 2013
    The only thing worse than the boring story line is the sub-par acting from most of the cast. Picking up dog in the yard is more exciting than this show so far.
  63. Nov 8, 2013
    While I originally gave this show a 6, I know give it a 10 because in the long run its very entertaining. It is certainly not perfect, but if you can get past the cheesy one-liners, stereotypical characters, and dialogue you will be able to find this show to be enjoyable. I liked the references to the Marvel Phase One group of movies with plot elements like Extremis. While I had my doubts when I watched the first episode, I think this show is good and I now highly recommend it. I think it's better than The Avengers and the show has potential. My only major complaint is that its to unrealistic at times, like with the little robots and the flying car at the end of episode one. (Unlike the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is grounded in reality, for the most part.) I also like the plot twists in the episodes and the premises. I think they should merge the Marvel One-Shot "Item 47" with this; that would be cool.

(P.S, I'm not just some Marvel fanboy either; read my reviews for Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.)

If you liked this review, read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Every vote counts!
  64. Nov 8, 2013
    The show has made huge strides in the last few weeks to make it feel less predictable. I would say that the last episode which had like 2 episodes went from not caring much about Fitz-Simmons to caring deeply about the character. I would like to know more about Agent Mei. She and Coulson are the two most interesting characters in this series. I hope they continue to make huge strides in the series. Expand
  65. Nov 8, 2013
    Thought this was going to be a great show, but it's pretty terrible. Pilot wasn't any good and I tried to watch two more episodes to give it a fair chance, but it's just terrible.
  66. Nov 8, 2013
    First episodes were a bit boring but it gets better and better! Keep watching, I'm glad I did.
    I really like the little references to other Marvel movies. Skye is awesome!
  67. Nov 6, 2013
    This series has slowly been picking up steam after a up-and-down beginning to the season. The characters are developing over time (as one would expect), and the situations are becoming more and more dynamic. As for the acting, it is uneven, but Clark Gregg is really a tent pole for the cast. His performance alone is worth the watching. Too many would-be critics wrote this show off far too quickly.
  68. Nov 6, 2013
    The writing is lackluster and cliche, but it's really the characters that damn the series. The actors have absolutely no presence or chemistry with each other. Is Joss Whedon even involved with this show? He's known for his ability to take mediocre actors and build a powerhouse ensemble performances out of them and it's really hard to believe he had any hand in this mess whatsoever.
  69. Oct 29, 2013
    Well go figure Marvel! Marvel's new show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D looks so surprising for any Marvel fans, or any Comic Book Guys. It follows The Avengers footsteps and it brought Agent Coulson's return.
  70. Oct 24, 2013
    Very disappointing. I like the idea, but not the delivery. It makes me feel like I'm watching a show from the "CW". It's predictable, clichéd, vanilla, and tedious. It has too many of those too young, too pretty, too unbelievably talented for their age, characters. This is all about the looks and the gizmos, and not the story. Does every show Whedon makes have to have the hot uber-women types? Which wouldn’t be horrible if there were other characters to counter balance them? Firefly was an awesome example of a show built around characters and imperfection. Here, there's no grit, no angst. The only attempts at any humor are cheesy one-liners, and any witty banter feels forced and is not very witty. There aren't any imaginative or interesting characters here, there's no stimulating dialogue. This show wants and tries so hard to be a hit and make everyone happy, it simply falls flat. Kids might like it, if I were 12, I might like it. If this show was on Saturday mornings, it would help me understand where its coming from a lot better. Expand
  71. Oct 23, 2013
    In my opinion this is the best new show on television this year. It packs great plot, action, and characters together in a show that ties in excellently with the established film franchise. I also have to give praise to the excellent special effects and fan-service. Everything looks realistic and the constant references to movies like The Avengers, Thor, and Iron Man really makes the fan in me geek out with excitement.

I can't wait to see where they take the show from here, and I hope that maybe we'll see some of the movie characters make it into the show and vise-versa. Overall if you are a fan of Marvel's latest films then I don't see why you wouldn't like this show just as well. The way it ties into the movies alone is enough to make anyone's inner Marvel fan smile. To be honest I couldn't be more impressed with the show.
  72. Oct 23, 2013
    I enjoy most superhero shows and movies, even the bad ones. But couldn't bear to watch this show. Fell asleep twice. The acting is just horrible, especially the actor playing Phil Coulson. He seems to be giggling at the camera all the time, his character seems so one dimensional and frankly, I think he's just a horrible actor, Marvel just needs someone to tie this to their films so figured they'd put him in, which is definitely a mistake in my opinion as this man cannot act.

Story is very boring, generic, its even cheesier than Lois & Clark and even the old Flash show. The show feels like it can't figure out if it wants to be a cartoon (cause of the ridiculously stupid story line) or a live action show for adults. They need to take a hint from Heroes (Season 1) and Arrow. I guess we've just been spoiled lately by all the great shows and movies that a sub par show like this really shows its colours. I hope they cancel it soon, or atleast kill off Coulson again. Cause I cant watch this man act. I'd be surprised if this show lasts more than a season.
  73. Oct 22, 2013
    While this series may have gotten off to a slow and frankly rather disappointing start, I feel that it's definitely beginning to develop its somewhat two-dimensional characters, and is definitely showing signs of more interesting if not intricate plots. The dialogue is still a little cheesy and clunky after S01E04, but to me it is definitely still an improvement from the pilot episode, which contained far too many cliches and bland plotting. In terms of their acting, I must admit, maybe with the exception of Ming Na Wen and Clark Gregg, is still currently sub par to me, even taking into account their short filming time. That was one of its down sides for me.

It may not be the agents of shield many were expecting, frankly it wasn't the one I was expecting either, but at its current trajectory, I can definitely see it going to greater heights.

I recommend watching it, and sticking with it for a while longer, before judging it again
  74. Oct 22, 2013
    This show would have greatly benefited from taking place before the events of the first Iron Man movie. Then you wouldn't have to explain how Coulson survived Loki killing him in The Avengers, and could have served as an origin story for how S.H.I.E.L.D. came to be, or at least how Coulson came to join them. As it stands, it's pretty awful. Coulson was comic relief in the movies, and that served a good purpose, but that can't carry an hour-long series. The show lost me from the beginning, when I was asked to believe an incredibly beautiful woman lives in her van. It suffer from the "Lost" syndrome of having everybody on it being unbelievably attractive. It's a distraction. I'm not sure who the audience is supposed to be. Are they aiming for kids? Because it's just too silly for anyone above a certain age to be able to take it seriously. Expand
  75. Oct 22, 2013
    I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly, both brilliant shows about unrecognized heros fighting the good fight against overwhelming odds. Buffy and Mal were great characters I could root for.

I am not a fan of comic books, but I trusted what Whedon would do with the material. I should not have been so trustful. There is no character that can I root for like Buffy and Mal. The
    "agents" are not overwhelmed, if anything it is safe to assume they will always be able to find something that overpowers whatever enemy they are facing.

The show lost all credibility for me in the second episode, when a lot of drama was built up over the plane landing! Great visuals and powerful music to watch a plane land, really. That is never going to keep me interested in watching.
  76. Oct 20, 2013
    I'm loving this show! It's got all that special Whedon quirkiness that fans have come to love and look forward to. Plus plenty of references and tie-ins to the movies that I am just adoring, throw in a Stan Lee cameo and I'll be squealing. People who are bashing this show, in my view, seem to not really understand Joss Whedon's style, and can't seem to appreciate it for what it is. Yes it can't measure up to the movies, nor is it trying to, the show should be considered its own product that's doing well considering what its related. And its not fair to make a comparison between the show and the movies, the movies have budgets of 10's of millions of dollars, tv works with substantially less. And one more thing, why is everyone complaining about the the flying car? That scene was really cool, troped yes, but cool all the same. And furthermore it ties in with the movies, if you recall in Captain America during the technology expo Howard Stark revealed a prototype flying car, it's quite likely that Coleson's car uses the same technology making it a great tie-in with the movies. Expand
  77. Oct 19, 2013
    The show is one of the better shows on tv this fall! I love the special effects, there is just the right amount so it looks realistic. I love the references to the marvel movies, but the show does not depend on them and the ones that it does depend on are explained for viewers who have yet to see the movies. However, the plot can be cheesy, cliche, and predictable at times.
  78. Oct 15, 2013
    Just like a lot of people said, the dialogs were bad. The characters are too predictable and the actors are not that good for a show 'this big'. The episode plot is very predictable as well and the characters make annoying comments that are not necessary at times. They all sound silly and I thought I was watching a kids show, because they all act like they are in a Disney movie or something. Very disappointed that the critics were bought by Marvel to give high scores.. and also disappointed about the show itself. Expand
  79. Oct 15, 2013
    I had high hopes, but no, this is garbage. And annoying garbage at that. Outside of Coulson and um, sometimes that May woman, the characters on this show are horribly written and acted. And they are not half as interesting, cool, or quick-witted as they think they are. If they wanted to save this show, which I predict will last this season and plummet the next, in my opinion they need to kill off the team except Coulson, and reboot with characters that have more life than a corpse and are not as egotistical as a teenager. Seriously though, why if this was such a top secret project, did they recruit a bunch of 14 year olds who look as if they're in the middle of a growth spurt? And they act like 14 year olds too! Honestly, I keep waiting for the episode where they study for their SATs. Ugh, my head hurts thinking how disappointing this whole thing is, can't watch anymore. Also, scale the writing back, not everything needs to be a pun, or quippy, I feel like I'm watching an episode of Sex and the City. Expand
  80. Oct 14, 2013
    This show gets more disappointing with every episode. My take let's say you give Avengers 100 out of 100. This show is just like the Avengers oh but with a bunch of dimwit gen-y actors (-15 points) minus the budget (-15) minus the script (-10), minus a plot (-20). And even making Clark Gregg into a douche (-20!). 100 80 20 out of 100 yeah, that's about right....
  81. Oct 14, 2013
    Stereotypical characters (stoic squared-jawed hero, geeky english tech people, improbably hot hacker babe with a past, etc), predcitable plots, cheesy dialogue. A handful of high-school kids flying around in their special plane. Loads of tech and resources available to them but every mission ends up with the same few people having to do all the work (even the boss gets roped in). Loads of references to events that took place in the Avengers assemble film, and every time it gets talked about by the characters you'd rather just be watching the film again.

No super-heroes anywhere.
  82. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The worst thing you can do when watching this show EVER is expect movie budget and super heroes.
    None were advertised, you know what you're going in to, don't the show is really badass.
    First episodes was okay, kicked off the series, second episode was ...Irrelevant, might as well not exist.
    And the third episode ...Holy that was so amazing.
    As I said, the show is called Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. so you already know what it's about, expecting a ton of super heroes and super villains (All thought we already saw Graviton) then you're better off watching the movies alone and figuring out the references by yourself.
  83. Oct 13, 2013
    Aside from having the Marvel name attached to it, There is nothing special about this show. The acting is average, The plot is very generic, and it fails to keep you entertained or interested. Would not recommend.
  84. Oct 13, 2013
    Really boring show. I´m a big Whedon & Marvel´s fan but this series make me yawn. I miss a black character here, not just only a small stellar appearance of mr. Jackson. The two scientist... I know they´re trying the Xander-Willow rol stuff here, but c´mon, I think with one of these guys is enough. The McGuffins used until now are mediocre. An hydra laser?? Please... I´m stuck with the third episode, I stopped two days ago to go to the bathroom and... well... I dont really care what happens next so I left to see the season three of Teen Wolf, the worthy successor of a Joss Whedon tv show. So this is Agents of Shield, really flat characters and mediocre plots. I don´t expect the show goes better so i´ll stop watching this by now. Sorry if i had spelling mistakes, i haven´t written on english in a long time Expand
  85. Oct 13, 2013
    I really wanted this show to be good,the fact is that it is boring...given the material they have to work with there is no excuse for the sloppy plot and forced references.i would recommend sticking with the marvel movies as this heap of dung is just a waste of time
  86. Oct 12, 2013
    At the time of writing this review I've only seen three episodes of ABC's new series. I will be sticking with it for a little longer and am willing to change my mind if things improve but what I have seen so far has left me underwhelmed. Its not terrible by any means but being a fan of the Marvel movies, and an even bigger fan of Josh Whedon, I was simply expecting more.

For me the
    biggest issue is that it is clearly aiming to please as big an audience as possible. Considering the huge cost of making the show (which is clear in the movie quality special effects) that is somewhat understandable but as with all these 'family friendly' dramas it simply lacks the punch and complexity of the very best drama series. Aside from Agent Coulson the characters aren't particularly interesting either. Many of them fall into broad stereotypes, something which is surprising when you consider some of the great characters Josh Whedon has created over the years.

Anyone that has watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer will know that even that great show took time to find it's feet so there is hope for the Agents of Shield yet but as of now I'm unconvinced.
  87. Oct 12, 2013
    Bland. I keep waiting for Whedon-esque characters to pop out, but it hasn't happened. Making references to great movies has the same effect as the Bourne Legacy: it reminds you that those movies exist, and makes you wonder why you're bothering to watch what's in front of you. Disappointing.
  88. Oct 12, 2013
    I honestly can't believe this show is getting "generally favorable" reviews. It is sub-par on every single level. Terrible acting, bland characters, cringe-worthy dialogue, and a plot worthy of some forgettable CSI-type police procedural. This doesn't even measure up to Heroes, let alone the excellent movies Marvel has been putting out. Huge disappointment. Definitely not worth your time.
  89. Oct 12, 2013
    I was expecting so much from the first episode well because it's MARVEL but i wasn't impressed so i gave it another chance well because it's MARVEL and i'm glad i gave it a second shot because the second episode showed more story-lines, more action, more adventure, and definitely more charm between some characters! the third episode took place on yet another country which is what's so great about this show.. it is very adventerous and action packed! well done Joss Whedon Expand
  90. Oct 11, 2013
    Felt like a comic book, but wish the cgi was done a little better. Like the characters even if they are a bit weak. Sticking with the show because it's marvel and I want to see them bring on cameo's from the marvel universe and hopefully even introduce characters through it. The fact that it's about regular people in a world full of supers is interesting, but honestly a bit limiting. Why they branded it that way astounds me. They could have kept that as the first season, or more... but left themselves room to grow the characters in other ways. Let's face it, this could be the origin story for one of the actors to become a superhero... or villian...

Please stop being so predictable, I want to love you, but just can't yet. You just have my like.
  91. Oct 10, 2013
    I created an account on this website just to complain about this show. The best way I can describe this show is a churched up version of mighty morphin power rangers. (that might be doing a disservice to the thespian that was the yellow ranger) The script is terrible and cliche filled and the characters are extremely campy. I get the feel that the actors are reading me a comic book that they have for the first time. The nerd-lets for scientists are unbelievable. Hand them a popular science instead of a comic book for a script at least. The hacker might have worked if this was McGyver in the earliest of the 90's but not in 2013 where my nephew can legitimately hack in 6th grade. The "hunky" spy has what i call Faux-tensity. McGruber. That fake intensity that a 7th grade drama class can recreate. How is Marvel allowing this desicration of art? It is beyond me. Maybe I have been overly spoiled by "premium cable" drama (GoT, Breaking Bad, Homeland...) but I have to believe there is a better understanding of human nature available for interpretation on network TV. The American Dairy lobbyist must have forked over some money for all this cheese on prime time TV.

Disappointed to disbelief. Power Rangers Go!
  92. Oct 9, 2013
    There is a lot riding on Marvel's Agents of Shield. First of all, it takes place in the same world as one of the best movies the world has ever seen, The Avengers. Second, it's written by TV hero Joss Whedon. So the expectations for this show are high. From the first 3 episodes, it has not delivered, at all, on these expectations. But there is good news; Due to an overwhelming pre-fan base, and a very open premise with tons of lore to draw upon, this show will almost undoubtedly be renewed and it has lots of time to improve. So far over the course of 3 episodes, it has improved already by 150%. The pilot was one of the campiest, cheesiest, corniest, worst things I've ever seen, while still being about a subject I love so that's pretty hard to do. It was almost unbearable, as if watching a Parody of itself. The characters were cookie-cutter, the acting was horrid, the dialogue was reminiscent of amateur night at a comedy club and the tech and gadgets were meh. BUT, episode 2 improved all that by about 45%, and episode 3 by another 65% so stick with it, if you can, and before long, it should be a decent show. You want to like it. I want to like it, so lets give it a little time to fix itself before we come down too hard. Expand
  93. Oct 9, 2013
    Coulson is OK, but compared to the rest of the characters he is dazzling. The others are dull and many of them overact to an annoying degree, particularly the hacker. It is really off-putting. Furthermore, they seem to use the Warehouse 13 method of Unexplained Devices. That is, they have devices that can put the characters in jeopardy, but they never bother to explain where the devices come from or why they are there--not a single spec of back story. OK, I may be wrong about this, as I didn't finish watching the second episode because I was so bored. But if they did use the Unexplained (or barely explained) Devices method, then it is lazy writing that leaves viewers unsatisfied. I hope they don't continue in this vein. Also, how old are most of these characters? Twelve? Let's have some variety in race, age, and looks. Everybody doesn't have to be pretty. I expected more from Whedon. I thought the Avengers film was very good and I never watch that type of film. Expand
  94. Oct 9, 2013
    It's lighthearted fun in the same vein as Avengers. It's typical Joss Whedon fare with a small ensemble of uniquely different characters who somehow find a way to come together to accomplish things. I'm not exactly sure what people (Whedon fans in particular) have against the quarky/humor-laden writing in S.H.I.E.L.D. considering how Firefly was EXACTLY the same. I remember people panning Firefly for not taking itself serious.. But that's just what Whedon does and it worked for Avengers. For me, its just a fun show that I know my family will be able to enjoylike avengers. Its no breaking bad/walking dead but its trying to be. If all S.H.I.E.L.D. does is promote marvel and kkeep people somewhat engaged and thinking about MARVEL until the next movie than it has served a purpose. Expand
  95. Oct 9, 2013
    This show seemed promising enough considering it has so much Marvel content to work with, but just doesn't deliver.

My thoughts :
    - The 2 scientists get on my nerves with their jitteriness and unintelligent humor.
    - The pretty computer hacker does not fit the part. By her show's personality, i get the impression she could barely figure out how to turn on one. Her character needs to
    show a lot more intelligence.
    - I was expecting at least one member of the group with some super power but maybe that will come later.
    - CGI and special effects are poor for this day in age. Comparable to the 90's.
    - It needs a bit more of a serious edge to it. Feels a little Walt Disney, catering to younger folk. It reminds me of the movie Batman & Robin(1997) with George Clooney, when it should be more like The Dark Knight(2008), for those who saw both.
    - Have popular super heroes make cameo appearances now and then.
    - Increase the budget, I'm sure you have it Marvel! Do something, or this show won't be around for much longer.
  96. Oct 9, 2013
    I really wanted to like this show, but it reminds me of Terra Nova. A lot of promise, but never delivers and instead has a cheesy plot line, poor CGI, bad acting and limited presence of what people thought they would see. In the case of Terra Nova, people wanted to see dinosaurs. In AOS, people are expecting to see B-line superheroes and villians....instead we get a mis-matched group of nobodies.
  97. Oct 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I waited with review to second episode, and well...
    Scenario is so stupid, i cant watch more than 5 min per session. Every armed man must run without shoot into our agents, bandits have superuper-pistols they can shoot off pyramid with. Or at least shake it :D
    i will not give another examples, but this serie is for total idiots no more than 12 years old.
  98. Oct 8, 2013
    This is the first sign of a major problem with Marvel's Avengers strategy. The show has high aspiration, on par with the rest of the franchise, the problem lies in the fact that this is a cash in, plain and simple. The writing, attempts the style of the films. Cheeky good fun, while having serious under tones, but the writing isn't there. It is cheap and cliche. The dialogue is goofy when i tries to be serious and lame when it tries to be funny. Frankly the writers lack the skill and or supervision of the films writers to be truly effective, this is only compounded by the casting. While Ming Na and Clark Gregg hold there own, quite well actually, the rest of the cast falls flat on their face. They are some of the most miscast, cast ever put to screen. It's not just that they look to young, but that they can't deliver the dialogue in the way that would make it fun. Brett Dalton suffers the worst, imagine that Zac Efron was cast as the Punisher. It doesn't match and it is painfully evident when you watch it. Even when the acting is good it is held back by the poor writing, Ming Na is a great example of this, she does her best and actually pulls it off for the most part, but when the writing fails her, it fails her so epiclly it reduces her entire character to a cliched stereotype.Wade sits for a moment watching as the two leave. Then we get to the sfx. One would expect a level of quality, becoming of a major show, not neccesarily matching the films, but great never the less. To bad they went the quick route, making it stand out as fake. It would look fine in any other sci-fi show, but not one with this pedigree, BSG still stands up as the prime example of sci-fi production values. Finally we get to Coulson, the only character who is truly handled well. Clark Gregg finally gets a chance to shine and he makes the most of it, even if his death is handled poorly by the writers. His character is the only one who actually functions like he should in the universe that has been put to screen. In closing this show is a faliure. It took a wondrous franchise and reduced it too cliches written by unimaginative writers. We were promised something good, if not great. Something worthy of the Avengers franchise. Instead we get a show that shows he first cracks in the franchise and have no confusion these a cracks that are terribly deep. Expand
  99. Oct 8, 2013
    1st episode was okay. 2nd totally killed it completely for me. I was 'watching' it for 30 mins before I realized I hadn't been paying attention for the last 20 mins and was more focused on cleaning my fingernails than giving a single uck about this show or it's characters.
  100. Oct 8, 2013
    2 episodes in and I'm still waiting for it to get going. Wanted this to be so much more. Lacking the drama and fun of Avengers tie in movies. Could be good, but so far 'meh'

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gregg has a deadpan ease that makes the engine purr. And his team is good-looking and stamped with just enough personality and humor: Without killing the fun, they ground the show. [14 Oct 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Greenfield
    Oct 3, 2013
    The show has a sound concept.... But the script, by Joss, Jed and Tancharoen, with Joss directing, is a mite too pleased with itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Sep 26, 2013
    There’s actually not a single weak link in the cast. The weakness of the premiere comes down to plotting. There’s a slightly melodramatic arc involving a commentary on the current economic state of the country.