• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2009
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6
8.7

1. May 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shot in the now popular ‘mockumentary’ style Modern Family focuses on the lives of an extended family and has been sweeping the boards at the Emmys since this very first season. Until I recently I hadn’t got around to watching the show as I wasn’t totally sure it’s ‘mainstream’ humour would appeal to me but, having now seen all twenty-four episodes, I can see why it has proven so popular with critics and viewers alike.

I still haven’t quite got past the fact that the ‘Office’ style talking to the camera doesn’t actually make any sense in this scenario but the most important thing, as it always is with a comedy show, is that it is funny. Aside from the two daughters of Phil and Claire, who for me often came across as petty and spiteful for no reason, each of the characters is likeable and well rounded and brought to life superbly by an excellent cast. The writing is sharp and heartfelt, without ever becoming too sentimental, making for a sit-com that the whole family can enjoy.
  2. Sep 18, 2012
    One of the funniest shows ever, right up there with arrested development. One of the funniest shows ever, right up there with arrested development....
  3. Mar 11, 2011
    This show is hilarious. I love the cast. The characters are so funny and likable. They are such a fun family and I love watching this show. I love the mocumentary style.
  4. Sep 23, 2014
    This series is on par with grandiose abomination. It is Damaging Children (tm) for profit. Children deserve both a mother and a father.

All forms of human trafficking are EVIL.
  5. Jan 14, 2011
    This is really funny. Me and my family love it!
  6. Oct 9, 2013
    A fresh, farcical comedy that came onto our screens in 2009. It has all our favorite family stereotypes but they are not portrayed in a negative way, rather they are full of character and comedy. A must see, if you haven't seen it.
  7. Feb 3, 2013
    I can't seem to find a comedy that I actually like and find funny. Modern Family is no different, only the story line makes me want to keep watching. By story line I mean watching the kids grow up; some scenes really do touch my heart.
  8. Jan 17, 2011
    Modern Family's first season does a great job at flushing out a whole cast of interesting and hilarious characters, especially Eric Stonestreet as Cameron and Ty Burrell as Phil. The writing is witty and sharp, and it feels refreshing despite its universal premise.
  9. Nov 3, 2010
    This show is great, very few network shows are as good as this. The concept is not new but the amazing cast carries the show as one of the best of the year 2009.
  10. Jul 19, 2011
    Funny show, but not the greatest. I do LOVE all of characters. The comedy is refreshing and Cam and Phil are my favorites. I hate characters limits. I hate characters limits. I hate characters limits.
  11. Jul 3, 2011
    The key necessities of a good comedy are heart, meaning, realism, purpose, and devoted cast and crew. Modern Family is one of the few shows since Frasier to have all of these qualities. Especially realism, something that is becoming and issue with television and film lately. Modern Family correctly portrays the many versions of a truly "modern" family, branching from the traditional familyThe key necessities of a good comedy are heart, meaning, realism, purpose, and devoted cast and crew. Modern Family is one of the few shows since Frasier to have all of these qualities. Especially realism, something that is becoming and issue with television and film lately. Modern Family correctly portrays the many versions of a truly "modern" family, branching from the traditional family to the advancing by the day homosexual couple. One of Modern Family's greatest strengths is its ability to create comedy that is not cliche and is not "gross-out" or strictly adult, as well as its ability to keep every character likable and steer clear of having a "butt-monkey" per say. Hopefully future generations will be able to watch and relate to this show, as it is truly one of the greats. Expand
  12. Jul 10, 2014
    I found this show very enetetainment. I like how the has a variety of different characters and the families are different and the actkrs are outstanding. The episodes are each very interesting and hilarious therefore well written
  13. Sep 17, 2012
    It's so refreshing to see a comedy that doesn't just treat it's homosexual characters as one-note gags, and as a complete package, Modern Family is a home-run. The actors are flawless, the writing is hilarious and the result is one of the best comedies on television.
  14. Jan 28, 2012
    A lot of episodes are hit and miss, and many characters are having a hard to to develop, but that is only because we like them the way they are. This show, when at its best, can be one of the best shows on television. The inconsistency week to week is the only reason I give it an eight, but on a good night it doesn't get much funnier than this show.
  15. Apr 18, 2014
    How refreshing. In a land of gimmicky and uninspired television comedies, Modern Family remains one of the original, thoughtful and truly funny shows on television. The writing is surreal in it's smoothness and the combination of characters is just beautiful to watch. The sheer gayness of Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker is worth the price of admission. Smart, smart, smart humor hereHow refreshing. In a land of gimmicky and uninspired television comedies, Modern Family remains one of the original, thoughtful and truly funny shows on television. The writing is surreal in it's smoothness and the combination of characters is just beautiful to watch. The sheer gayness of Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker is worth the price of admission. Smart, smart, smart humor here with just the right amount of silliness. Quality without a doubt. Expand
  16. Oct 13, 2010
    I just finished watching the first season of this show, and quite honestly, it's hilarious. Every episode is well-written and fun to watch. Each family is funny in their own way, and although it does the same thing with the mockumentary idea as The Office, it has a completely different feel to it.
  17. Sep 8, 2011
    The best sitcom on television right now. This has smart writing, a cast literally full of great comedy performers, even the kids can be hilarious, and I haven't really seen that since Michael Cera in Arrested Development. Praise be to Modern Family.
  18. Aug 2, 2011
    Nice hilarious comedy x 3. I loved the whole 3 couples, 1 family.
    All the performances are great the characters very well crafted for comedy. Totally consistent.
    It has touchy moments and it is really modern. A complete recommendation.
  19. Jan 29, 2013
    Great show. I'm personally a massive fan of Gloria, who is absolutely hilarious. I wish this show had just a little more depth, but hey, it's a sitcom
  20. Jan 4, 2014
    An intelligent and fresh comedy with an excellent cast. The way each episode unfolds will keep you bound wit itsmultilinear stories with rich structure and dialogues.
  21. Apr 30, 2011
    This show is the worst thing to ever be put on television! I don't know what morn at ABC decided to put this on the air, but he should be ashamed at himself.The acting to far to over the top. the stories are stupid and will never happen.
  22. Oct 30, 2014
    This show use to be good...that is before it started winning awards. The last three seasons have literally been about preaching politically correctness rather than actually trying to be an entertaining sitcom which again it use to be.

Cancel the show and move on.
  23. Aug 27, 2011
    Engraçadíssimo. O sistema de sempre dividir o elenco em, no mínimo, 3 histórias paralelas evita qualquer chance de enjoar do seriado. Ã
  24. Feb 1, 2011
    A "laugh-out-loud" comedy every week. Each character is so diverse and comedic that you feel that you are watching a well-put-together variety show of family quirks. Manny's character has funny ideosynchrocies, but the actor who plays him needs some acting lessons, to say the least.
  25. Feb 7, 2011
    Wow, I can't believe there is even one single negative review. This show is amazing on so many levels. If you don't find it Laugh out Loud funny every week, I'd seriously check your depression level. All the characters are great and the writing is phenomenal. Every week the show gets funnier and funnier. Wonderful job to by cast, writers, and creators of Modern Family andWow, I can't believe there is even one single negative review. This show is amazing on so many levels. If you don't find it Laugh out Loud funny every week, I'd seriously check your depression level. All the characters are great and the writing is phenomenal. Every week the show gets funnier and funnier. Wonderful job to by cast, writers, and creators of Modern Family and congratulations to ABC for picking up one of the very few good comedies left on Network TV. A+++++ Expand
  26. Feb 13, 2011
    Ever since The Office I have been searching for a Mockumentary that could make laugh. Modern Family seems to prove that sitcoms donâ
  27. Jan 13, 2011
    What is it not to like about ''Modern Family''? Its situational comedy at its best with a high potential of being funnier (this sitcom hasnâ
  28. Oct 2, 2012
    This is a great show. The cast was virtually unknown to me when it started except Ed O'Neill. I quickly came to appreciate all of them. Everyone has contributes to the comedy and to the set backs they have to face as a family. The timing is great on the jokes and the way the cast plays off each other. I look forward to it every week.
  29. Aug 20, 2010
    It's quite sad when the most entertaining thing about a show is a 10 year old. Rico Rodriguez is the only reason I would ever consider watching this horribly overrated show. Between the over-the-top Ty Burrel to the almost non-existent Jesse Tyler Ferguson, this show is an example of how unoriginal writers are becoming.
  30. Dec 12, 2010
    I absolutely LOVE this show. The characters are great and very entertaining. I watched this show every week on tv and could not wait for the next episode and also recently bought it on dvd and have been watching episode after episode. I really love how different all of the characters are and how the storyline isn't like any other typical tv show's.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    This remains far and away the best prime-time sitcom: crisp and farcical, but very kind. [25 Oct 2010, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Modern Family is good. Better than good. Really good. O'Neil--dry and wonderful as ever--and Vergara (considerably less dry) are a winning combination.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Flitting among three storylines, it's smart, nimble and best of all, funny, while actually making a point about the evolving nature of what constitutes "family."