Mom : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
6.9

1. Sep 28, 2013
    Since Chuck Lorre encouraged us in his vanity card to complain on the internet, I will. It wasn't funny. Yet another example that a well known actor doesn't count for jack with a bad script. Since there was a huge cheer for Jon Cryer's pointless cameo I guess hard core Lorre fans who even watch Mike and Molly will like this... if anyone.
  2. Nov 9, 2013
    This show is horrible. The acting is good, however the writing is not. The mother chemistry is good. I think the actors are very good, it is just that the jokes are painful to watch.
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    Mwah, simply said, it just not that funny, not that good and after episode one, you're stuck with the question of where they want to take this show.

Anna Faris plays Christy. A semi-recovered alcoholic in her early 30's who wants to pull her life back together but can't because there are two kids she needs to take care of. Then there is Allison Janney (whoohoo!) who plays Christy's mom. She's got the same problem as her daughter, recovering alcoholic, became a mom to young etc.

After watching the first episode, there are a couple of things bothering me. First of all, the characters are difficult to relate to. Christy and her mom are not likable, you just feel sorry for them, and not in a good way! She messed up her own life, don't bother us with sorting it all out!

Then there is the casting. Allison Janney is just a great actress, she just looks to young for the part she's playing. The strange thing is that this is also the case with Anna Faris. Last time I saw her was in Friends, playing Erica. This was ten years ago but it looks like she didn't age at all! So in real life; thumbs up for Anna, well done! Show-wise: they are making the same mistake twice. Casting Anna and Allison playing mom and daughter and introducing Sadie Calvano as Christy's 16/17-something daughter is just weird, it's not believable and kinda icky.

Finally there is the unbelievable dumb guest-starr appearance by Jon Cryer (two and a half men). What were they thinking? He only orders food in a restaurant, the (live?) audience cheers because they recognize him and then.... that's it! Looked like a extra didn't show up and Jon happened to be on a break in the studio next door. Hey Jon, can you order food on camera? Yes? Let's go!

Conclussion
    Story wise, you can't judge a series after one episode, everyone is just introduced and stories to tell haven't been rolled out, so that's for a later moment. On the other hand, this show did everything wrong a comedy could have done in episode one, so little hope for the series as a whole.
  4. Sep 30, 2013
    I expected more from Chuck Lorre and Anna Faris. I didn't laugh one single time! I really have mixed feeling about this show but yet again the first few episodes of The big bang theory wasn't that good.
  5. Aug 8, 2014
    OK. This is the first time I am altering a previous review here on MC.

Because of Chuck Lorre and the actors involved in this show, I continued to record and watch it. It got better. Much better. I still think the actors are getting their legs, and the show is hitting important issues. I like that. So Mom is back on my TiVo's ToDo list. And the important second-season is on
    OK. This is the first time I am altering a previous review here on MC.

It got better. Much better.

So Mom is back on my TiVo's ToDo list. And the important second-season is on the horizon. I'll be watching.....
  6. Oct 30, 2014
    Desde el primer capítulo intuimos que las bromas van a ser muy repetitivas y poco originales. Y no falla. Lejos de Dos hombres y medio o de The Big Bang Theory. El papel de la madre es tedioso.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 25, 2013
    If Faris is the little engine that could, Janney is the caboose along for the ride. [4 Nov 2013]
  2. Reviewed by: Dorothy Rabinowitz
    Oct 18, 2013
    It is sharp comedy enriched by a cast led by Allison Janney as Bonnie, the mother in question, and Anna Faris as Christy, her daughter.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Rorke
    Oct 3, 2013
    When the jokes work, they’re hilarious.