Monday Mornings : Season 1

• Network: TNT
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 4, 2013
7.7

1. Feb 12, 2013
    While Monday Mornings is being billed as a "no-nonsense" sort of medical drama, it still has it's share of nonsense. It suffers from most of the things I typically dislike about medical dramas. This includes a cast chocked full of "pretty people" that look more like underwear models than brain surgeons. I won't name names (partly because I can't be bothered to actually google theseWhile Monday Mornings is being billed as a "no-nonsense" sort of medical drama, it still has it's share of nonsense. It suffers from most of the things I typically dislike about medical dramas. This includes a cast chocked full of "pretty people" that look more like underwear models than brain surgeons. I won't name names (partly because I can't be bothered to actually google these people), but a few of the cast members possess acting styles that seem better suited for daytime soaps than a prime time drama. In addition, many of "dramatic" moments feel forced, and a tad silly. This includes the Monday morning morbidity and mortality conferences that is used as one of the show's primary gimmicks. And of course it wouldn't be a medical drama without at least one completely unnecessary romance (so far I count two). And despite all this, I still found myself entertained (for the most part) throughout both of the episodes I've now watched. Monday Mornings is, at it's core, a show about the difficult decisions that doctors have to make every day, and sometimes those decisions don't turn out well. The show offers a slightly more realistic, sometimes unpleasant, glimpse into the lives of surgeons. Medical dramas are at their best when they're interesting, and this is definitely the most interesting thing Monday Mornings has going for it.

While I am, at present, not entirely impressed by Monday Mornings, I do think it has the potential to be great. There are definitely problems; some of the characters need to be rounded out a bit. But there's enough substance to keep me coming back for at least the next handful of episodes.
  2. dch
    Mar 27, 2013
    Where was Dr. Buck last week for the gay marriage episode? On vacation or didn't want to broach the HIV issue with transplants? If you're going to explore a medical issue, you should fully explore it.
  3. Mar 13, 2013
    Monday Mornings is certainly watchable, but suffers several flaws. The M&M conferences might make for a nice gimmick to drive the show in theory, but in practice they are the show's weakest element. The show cannot keep pace with the precedent set in the pilot; as the episodes march onwards, the M&M conferences are less gritty, less tense, less interesting. They are a formality that isMonday Mornings is certainly watchable, but suffers several flaws. The M&M conferences might make for a nice gimmick to drive the show in theory, but in practice they are the show's weakest element. The show cannot keep pace with the precedent set in the pilot; as the episodes march onwards, the M&M conferences are less gritty, less tense, less interesting. They are a formality that is awkwardly shoehorned into every episode so that we can see a lot of dramatic close ups of the cast while Molina lectures them on the moral of the week. Watching Molina pour a glass of water in slow motion is not nearly as enthralling as Kelley imagines it to be. The patients every week consist of an awkward sideshow of pretentious, precocious nitwits who clumsily deliver the weekly moral without ever seeming authentic. The members of the cast do their best, to varying effect. Molina does his job expertly and Irving's performances, especially in the pilot, are enthralling. Bamber on the other hand never achieves credibility in his role, seeming more like a model from a shampoo AD who wandered confused onto a hospital set. The rest of the cast is certainly trying very hard to breathe life into their characters, and can't be held accountable for the poor writing that they have to work with. It isn't a terrible show, and the cast is worth watching, but the writing and pacing is not very impressive. Expand

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Feb 8, 2013
    Most of Mornings is stock melodrama, and apart from Molina, not all that well acted. [18 Feb 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are few likable characters here, the centerpiece M&M meetings should be what sets the series apart but is actually bogging it down into nonsense.
    Not all the cases turn out badly, but enough do that the show takes on a rather grim formula.... That's a lot of talent to work with and the good news is that Monday Mornings shows signs of finding its voice by episode three.