• Network: USA
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 12, 2002
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
8.2

1. Nov 22, 2010
    In the first season, you get to know one of the most interesting characters in TV history, Adrian Monk. Audienced will soon love to know his brilliance as a clever detective, and the ultimate case that it seems like he will never decode: finding the murder of his beloved wife Trudy. "Monk" is one of the best shows on cable.
  2. Nov 29, 2012
    I kind of really hate this show. The detective drama is so overdone that you really need to do something different - apparently the creators of Monk felt like there was a real gap in mocking mental disorders, and so this show was born. Tony Shaloub does a great job as the title character, actually - he portrays his OCD as a mental disability blown out of proportion by the tragedy of hisI kind of really hate this show. The detective drama is so overdone that you really need to do something different - apparently the creators of Monk felt like there was a real gap in mocking mental disorders, and so this show was born. Tony Shaloub does a great job as the title character, actually - he portrays his OCD as a mental disability blown out of proportion by the tragedy of his wifes death, leaving him incapacitated for years before finally returning to his work as a brilliant police detective. Unfortunately, Monk lives in a world where no one else has ever heard of OCD, so we are treated to a lot of insensitive jokes and "Whaaaat? You Crazy, Monk" moments that wear thin about 15 minutes into the first episode. This is also one of those mysteries that blow the surprise in the cold open, so we always know who the murderer is right as the show starts, which I find very annoying. As I have sat through 5 seasons of this, I think it is safe to say that is is rather unimaginative and insensitive, but has a pretty good cast that redeems it. A little. Expand
  3. May 14, 2014
    I've watched Monk numerous times and it could never capture my interest, it was predictable, not very funny, not very entertaining and kinda boring at times, it's like law and order with a bad joke every 4 episodes.

If you want a show like this but a good one Psych puts Monk to shame.
  4. Apr 16, 2013
    Monk is one of the best TV shows I have ever watched. Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk, the detective who suffers from extreme OCD, is perfect. The comedy and situations are expertly written and the show makes sure to never make fun of those who suffer from similar problems. The murders are all creative and no two episodes are ever the same. The casting is also great with Bitty Schram playingMonk is one of the best TV shows I have ever watched. Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk, the detective who suffers from extreme OCD, is perfect. The comedy and situations are expertly written and the show makes sure to never make fun of those who suffer from similar problems. The murders are all creative and no two episodes are ever the same. The casting is also great with Bitty Schram playing Monk's assistant, Sharona Flemming, for the first 3 seasons and Traylor Howard playing his other assistant, Natalie Teeger, for the rest of the series. Ted Levine as Captain Leland Stottlemeyer and Jason Gray-Stanford as Lieutenant Randy Disher are both fantastic. The therapy scenes with Stanley Kamel as Dr. Kroger and Hector Elizondo as Dr. Bell are also excellent.
    Attracting the largest ever viewer figures for a scripted cable-TV episode in the world (for the final episode in the series; "Mr Monk and the End") showed how much the audience had fallen in love with Adrian Monk and how much of a devoted following the show had acquired over its 8 year run.
    Undoubtedly one of the greatest detective shows of the last decade, Monk is a treasure to watch and is strongly recommended to everyone, detective fans or not.
  5. Mar 5, 2014
    Monk is a clean freak, but this makes him attentive to little things and a brilliant detective. He's very kind and funny. So Monk is my favourite crime series of all time!
  6. Mar 20, 2015
    One of my most favorite shows ever! It's hilarious. Its a show about an obsessive-compulsive detective who also has many fears like milk & germs, you know: real spooky-scary stuff. He is also known as one of the best detectives in the world, but gives off a REALLY bad first impression with all his fears & stuff...
  7. Sep 12, 2014
    One of the best shows to date. Every Episode is interesting and suspenseful. All the characters amazing.Its just so....so...good.You really need to watch this shows,right now.Ill wait

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jun 27, 2013
    This is probably not a clinically accurate portrayal of an OCD sufferer, but Shalhoub's gentle earnestness keeps it from being gimmicky.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Jun 25, 2013
    Splendidly cast and appealingly off-center, it's a genuine summertime gem. [7 July 2002, p.3]
  3. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Jun 25, 2013
    Shalhoub, who's a producer on the show, stamps his character with a wonderful mix of poignancy and humor. [7 July 2002, p.4]