• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 14, 1988
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10
4.4

1. Feb 15, 2014
    There's little doubt that this show was enjoyed by many back in the late 80s. However, as a 17 year-old male living in the 21st century, I felt very disconnected from this show. What was humorous then has now become comedy tropes, unfortunately.

I could only bear to watch 5 episodes, so I honestly haven't completed the whole Season. Murphy Brown's a decent character herself but by now,
    all of her episodic plot-lines have been done to death. And Miles, the co-star, comes off as a pretty flat character. Otherwise, the ensemble did nothing but irritate me.

Comedies can more or less get away with weaker elements if the humour is still there, but it's sadly not the case here. I probably laughed only about one time per episode, which was a slight relief from mostly boring TV. Again, this may have been funny in the 80s, but all I see now is out of date references and overused jokes.

1. Reviewed by: Ed Siegel
    Jul 23, 2013
    The show needs some sharpening, but "Murphy Brown" looks like a winner. [14 Nov 1988]
  2. Reviewed by: Clifford Terry
    Jul 23, 2013
    Appearing in her first TV series, Bergen brings in a full-court-press performance-stylish, sardonic and funny. Couple that with English's crisp dialogue, which consistently veers off just at the point it seems to be settling for the formulaic, and "Murphy Brown" comes up as a bright, promising half-hour. [14 Nov 1988]
  3. Reviewed by: Howard Rosenberg
    Jul 23, 2013
    "Murphy Brown" doesn't exactly sizzle in its debut. ... It is a show you'd like to see again, however, which is more than you can say for much of the TV genre it caricatures.